New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Imgur banned the forums...

So... seems that Imgur has banned the forums, and you can no longer hotlink images from them here.

Several things to say:
    1. Their FAQ specifically states hotlinking from forums is okay.
    2. I actually wrote to their support, but I couldn't get human attention; only received a bot reply about violating ToS. Not sure what can be gleaned from GitP's side...
    3. There are actually fairly easy ways to circumvent the ban - by removing the referrer from requests. On Chrome for example, you can do so using the Referrer Control extension or the Referrer Switch add-on for Firefox.
    Admittedly these are merely workarounds, and require user initiative... and knowledge to seek that solution(or at least luck enough to stumble on this thread).

Not sure if there is something more that can be done... (apart from using a different image host). We gotta have somewhere to post all them memes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Imgur banned the forums...

They don't allow Avatars and other things like that to be hosted there (where they have to load a lot of times), and GitP is a fairly busy forum for that regard - and you could tell by the non-loading avatars how many people used them for their avatar. So, I feel like that would be why they eliminated actually allowing images to display here.

Its entirely Imgur's choice to do that, and I highly doubt that the staff here would try and workaround it. As you said, the thing to do is to find somewhere else to host your images.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-03-09 at 03:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Its entirely Imgur's choice to do that, and I highly doubt that the staff here would try and workaround it. As you said, the thing to do is to find somewhere else to host your images.
    Sheriff: Indeed.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

4. - Top - End - #4
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I have investigated Imgur's terms of service, and I can verify that this website has never violated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgur's Terms of Service
    Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.
    This website does not host any images on Imgur whatsoever, not for content, not for advertising, not for avatars. Individual users can upload images anywhere where they are welcome to hotlink by the terms of service of the site they are using, and provide a link to that in the the body of posts and avatar options, at the sole discretion of the individual user.

There is no image seen on this entire site that is hosted on Imgur which wasn't linked to by a user.

(Also, a quick disclaimer: Imgur naturally has the final say in what they do with their site, but we have not violated their terms of service as they are currently written.)

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak