New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Why aren't mortals more powerful than gods?

If a 4-colour Snarl is greater than a 1-colour god, then surely a 3-colour mortal is also greater than a 1-colour god?

Even if it's an exponential scale (where the Snarl might be far more powerful than a god, while a mortal is only slightly more powerful), why are the mortals so weak? Is it by design (so they don't rebel), or because they were created harmoniously rather than from divine conflict?
    Last edited by rferries; 2019-03-10 at 05:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why aren't mortals more powerful than gods?

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    If a 4-colour Snarl is greater than a 1-colour god, then surely a 3-colour mortal is also greater than a 1-colour god?

Even if it's an exponential scale (where the Snarl might be far more powerful than a god, while a mortal is only slightly more powerful), why are the mortals so weak? Is it by design (so they don't rebel), or because they were created harmoniously rather than from divine conflict?
    Because level still trumps quiddity. Mortals of the same level as the Gods (50-60ish ?) would be more powerful. But there aren’t such mortals.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Because level still trumps quiddity. Mortals of the same level as the Gods (50-60ish ?) would be more powerful. But there aren’t such mortals.
    How do you know the Gods have levels and that they're that high? Maybe Gods just have a high CR rating but no actual Class Levels?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    How do you know the Gods have levels and that they're that high? Maybe Gods just have a high CR rating but no actual Class Levels?
    The gods do have levels in 3.5 (they changed it in 4e, I think; there's a joke about this in SSDT). See here: "Some have theorized since that gods were even MORE vulnerable to the Snarl than a mortal of the same level would have been."
    Last edited by hroþila; 2019-03-10 at 07:34 AM.
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    How do you know the Gods have levels
    There is some info in the 3.5 SRD on that.

For example
    Levels
    Most deities are 20 HD outsiders with 30 to 50 character levels as well. These additional character levels beyond an effective character level of 20th follow the rules for epic levels.
    Not sure how closely to that Rich adheres; in some campaigns, deities are not a monster / creature that PCs can defeat.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-03-10 at 01:17 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Not sure how closely to that Rich adheres; in some campaigns, deities are not a monster / creature that PCs can defeat.
    Even in campaigns where deities are statted you'd be hard pressed to actually manage to fight one at all, much less win. Unless you yourself are also a deity.

As far as the original post goes, the way I understand it is that the gods can't just decide to unravel any given mortal into their threads of reality, not without the help of the other three two pantheons. But luckily they don't have to, since they can just fry any uppity mortals they want gone with lightning or something.

Edit: Brain fart
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-03-11 at 11:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Even in campaigns where deities are statted you'd be hard pressed to actually manage to fight one at all, much less win. Unless you yourself are also a deity.

As far as the original post goes, the way I understand it is that the gods can't just decide to unravel any given mortal into their threads of reality, not without the help of the other three pantheons. But luckily they don't have to, since they can just fry any uppity mortals they want gone with lightning or something.
    You mean the other two pantheons. If you're thinking of the Eastern gods, they were killed by the snarl. If you're thinking of The Dark One (goblin gods?), he wasn't involved in this world's creation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There's also the matter of the sheer amount of energy that goes into a thing. The Snarl for example had energy input from the quarreling of all of the gods (probably sixty to a hundred of them originally), while Mortal races didn't need "all" of the gods, just a bit of each quiddity, and also got a lot less overall energy. We know that energy is important to a god's power level, from the recent issue with Hel and her claiming that the sudden influx of several centuries' worth of Dwarf souls all at once would raise her relative standing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Each mortal type was created by a single god, they're all single-colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Each mortal type was created by a single god, they're all single-colour.
    No they, aren't.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thor specifically said that it requires multiple quiddities in order to produce Mortals (i.e. material beings who are capable of free will and generating the energies that Gods require for sustenance).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    Thor specifically said that it requires multiple quiddities in order to produce Mortals (i.e. material beings who are capable of free will and generating the energies that Gods require for sustenance).
    Yeah, this--Thor said the Gods had to combine their quiddities to make anything lasting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    For example, Raistlin would be such a mortal.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    OOTS-world is not Krynn.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    OOTS-world is not Krynn.
    That's why I said "would be" and not "is."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

The Snarl isn't greater than a 1-colour god by being 4-colour, it's greater than the gods because it was born of their divine rage and discord, mortals aren't. It just can't be willed into nonexistence by any gods because they have no control over its fourth colour. Same goes for mortals, a god can still kill them with a fireball or lightning bolt, but they can't just will them out of existence.

17. - Top - End - #17

Raistlin has published statistics. They put him at level 20. That's two-zero.

If Raistlin ever showed up in the OotS world, I'm pretty sure he would fare a great deal like Larry Gardener, or Fruit Pie the Sorcerer.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Raistlin has published statistics. They put him at level 20. That's two-zero.
    By 2005, they were putting out books pegging Raistlin as of his time in Palanthas at level 27 in d20/OGL. Tracy Hickman et al., Dragonlance Campaign Setting Companion: Legends of the Twins 83-84 (2005).

If Raistlin ever showed up in the OotS world, I'm pretty sure he would fare a great deal like Larry Gardener, or Fruit Pie the Sorcerer.
    Or Zz'dtri.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Barebarian View Post
    It just can't be willed into nonexistence by any gods because they have no control over its fourth colour. Same goes for mortals, a god can still kill them with a fireball or lightning bolt, but they can't just will them out of existence.
    I'm not sure either of those follow. The Gods can't will the Snarl out of existence because it's too powerful, not because it's four colours--presumably they would have tried to get rid of it as soon as it attacked the Eastern Gods, but they failed. As for the second point, it isn't the same at all, because all current generation mortals have only three colours, not four--only the mortals from the first planet the Snarl destroyed had four, because the Eastern Gods were included in their creation.

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRogueGuy

Or Elminster! Did anyone say Elminster yet?

Fun fact: you just inadvertently made the same face you make when you smell a fart on the elevator.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Fun fact: you just inadvertently made the same face you make when you smell a fart on the elevator.
    I started choking and my eyes watered, but due to an unrelated incident.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

If you read the Scribble Tale very very carefully, you will see that what you wrote is, narrowly speaking, probably true. It says so.

To be explicit and fill in some mechanics details with highly speculative concretes: yes, a 100 HP mortal can stand toe to toe against the Snarl and survive longer than a 10000 HP god. Presumably for the exact reason you said.

But in other respects, no, the >100th level god is more powerful because...power is power and levels are power and levels are levels blah blah blah.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lizardfolk

Actually my health is slowly deteriorating after reading that WHAT DID YOU DO

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Actually my health is slowly deteriorating after reading that WHAT DID YOU DO
    I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to say Elminster!

Oh no! I said Elminster again!

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

I'm on my phone so can't link images, but if we all imagine that bit from Indiana Jones where the guy drinks from the wrong cup, that's pretty much how things are going down

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I can think of at least two Monty Python sketches this could be.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    I can think of at least two Monty Python sketches this could be.
    So this isn't to do with FR lore? Cause I'll be honest, I'm quite lost.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-03-13 at 07:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

(FR = Forgotten Realms?)

I was thinking of the Knights Who Say Ni, then a forum-inappropriate sketch about the throwing of stones, then the Knights Who Formerly Said Ni.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

29. - Top - End - #29

Some people find the insane, ridiculous, horrendous power-bloat in the Forgotten Realms, which notoriously has bartenders turn out to be high-level retired adventurers, somewhat off-putting for some reason I'm sure I couldn't relate to at all myself.

Elminster, who was level 26 in First Edition and level 45 or so in his (first?) published 3.x stats, is the most egregious example of same.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    If you read the Scribble Tale very very carefully, you will see that what you wrote is, narrowly speaking, probably true. It says so.

To be explicit and fill in some mechanics details with highly speculative concretes: yes, a 100 HP mortal can stand toe to toe against the Snarl and survive longer than a 10000 HP god. Presumably for the exact reason you said.

But in other respects, no, the >100th level god is more powerful because...power is power and levels are power and levels are levels blah blah blah.
    A mortal would be more resistant to being unmade, but in turn can not deal out enough damage alone to do more than annoy the Snarl. Even all of the potential possible allies of the OOTS fighting together are not going to do more than "hold off the Snarl for a few moments so that the new seal can be formed".