New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Completely Spells and Magic

So, a game idea I had, but probably will never play:

Everyone uses the Specialty Priest rules from Spells and Magic. Everyone. As a result, everyone has the same XP table, and builds whatever character they want. a couple notes:

1) The DM gets veto power on obviously broken abilities. ("I get at-will fireball 10 times per day at 1st level!").

2) They don't have to be a priest. Want to make a fighter? Use your points to buy fighter options. With 90 points (out of 120), the "priest" has Fighter ThAC0, Fighter Weapons, Weapon Specialization in a weapon of choice, and fighter attribute bonuses. Want to make a wizard? With restrictions, you can manage a wizard with access to 6/8 schools, with 15 points left over. Thief? 55 points gets you all the thief abilities. 65 points gives you all of that, unlimited weapon selection, and 55 points to play around with.

That said, a few questions remain:

1) If something isn't on the priest table anywhere (first thing that comes to mind is a Bard's lore and music abilities), how much should they cost?

2) Now, the only ability I can think of that isn't anywhere is Fighter's Iterative Attacks for higher level... How would you price that?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Spells and Magic

Allow "Clerics" to take Multiple Weapon Specialization from the Fighter list at twice the cost of Weapon Specialization.

Multiple attacks are strictly a function of Weapon Specialization.