New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Building: Gods, Creation Stories, Etc...

One of the hypothetically possible structures for "planet nine" (currently being searched for based on orbital paths of various Kuiper Belt objects) is a Neptunian ice giant, so cold that about everything but the hydrogen and helium have frozen out into solids, leaving a giant core visible under an insanely deep clear atmosphere. Trace noble gasses might interact with a powerful magnetic field to produce the most gob-smacking auroras in the solar system, and there might be just enough turbulence and particulates to produce some lightning. The result would be something that looks a bit like a luminescent deep-sea creature many times the size of Earth.

Currently trying to find an artist's rendition of this concept.

So this thing is terribly cold, and terribly beautiful... old-meaning awesome in the extreme, if it's looming in your sky and blotting out the sun every X years or based on some arcane time-table that's barely understood.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-03-13 at 10:20 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    One of the hypothetically possible structures for "planet nine" (currently being searched for based on orbital paths of various Kuiper Belt objects) is a Neptunian ice giant, so cold that about everything but the hydrogen and helium have frozen out into solids, leaving a giant core visible under an insanely deep clear atmosphere. Trace noble gasses might interact with a powerful magnetic field to produce the most gob-smacking auroras in the solar system, and there might be just enough turbulence and particulates to produce some lightning. The result would be something that looks a bit like a luminescent deep-sea creature many times the size of Earth.

Currently trying to find an artist's rendition of this concept.

So this thing is terribly cold, and terribly beautiful... old-meaning awesome in the extreme, if it's looming in your sky and blotting out the sun every X years or based on some arcane time-table that's barely understood.
    It's something that "cold' in the physics sense, but also "cold" because it a signifier of a being who really doesn't feel any empathy. That big searching hurricane that behaves like an eye reflects that constant, searching hunger for control and attention.

But it's also...metaphysically cold. As if there were a point where magic, or astral matter, or ideas liquify, then freeze, then become condensate...because they are acted upon by the idea of coldness.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanagi View Post
    It's something that "cold' in the physics sense, but also "cold" because it a signifier of a being who really doesn't feel any empathy. That big searching hurricane that behaves like an eye reflects that constant, searching hunger for control and attention.

But it's also...metaphysically cold. As if there were a point where magic, or astral matter, or ideas liquify, then freeze, then become condensate...because they are acted upon by the idea of coldness.
    Yeah. I'm just trying to offer OP a range of ideas and imagery.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-03-14 at 08:42 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It would be a little difficult to add a planet to this solar system, since I've already accounted for them all; in total, 9 planets, 2 of which are habitable (Most games take place on the 4th planet from the sun, while orcs and other such creatures come from the 3rd), with 2 gas giants and 2 ice giants. ^_^ It's a neat idea, but I don't think I'd be able to use it in this particular case.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    It would be a little difficult to add a planet to this solar system, since I've already accounted for them all; in total, 9 planets, 2 of which are habitable (Most games take place on the 4th planet from the sun, while orcs and other such creatures come from the 3rd), with 2 gas giants and 2 ice giants. ^_^ It's a neat idea, but I don't think I'd be able to use it in this particular case.
    This is what happens when you turn worldbuilding addicts loose on a setting.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Yeah. I'm just trying to offer OP a range of ideas and imagery.
    Me also.

Your Planet Nine description was cool.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I can still use a lot of the ideas y'all presented. ^_^

The next stage I think may deal with elves in my setting: Before the worlds were differentiated, many of the gods bred with fey. One off shoot of those unions became the Winged Elves- a darkly tanned race of elves with potent magic and eagle wings. Their chief deity, BNS, whom they claim direct descent from, was a chaotic aspect of ELN- he's associated with music, prophecy, and magic, and is portrayed as a young elven man with large golden eagle wings. These winged elves were true fey, with divine blood- thus, immortal.

Winged Elves arrived in the Mortal Plane 30,000 years ago, coming from Avalon. They were doing fine until one arrogant winged elf demigod ruined it for everyone when they created an empire, and decided to enslave the humans they saw as primitive.

Following a massive slave revolt, lead by a human who'd become a king after winning, the winged elves lost their wings. Those who fought on the side of the humans (against the winged elven tyrant) received only mild divine punishment for their participation in the enslavement, but remained on the surface. All modern surface elves descend from them. Those who remained loyal to the demigod were cursed, so that they could never fully appreciate the light of the sun on their faces. They retreated underground, and became the drow.

In the aftermath, the elves lost their wings and their immortality.

This story needs a great deal of refinement, but the slave revolt I mentioned took place around 5000 years prior to the modern day.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2019-03-14 at 12:09 PM.