New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default There So Many Issues About Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos Fight That Needs To Be Adresssed

There's a lot of problems that I analyse about the Avengers: Endgame movie between Captain Marvel and Thanos that needs to be addressed here:

First off Captain Marvel is a mid-tier hero and Thanos is a god tier villain. Captain Marvel superpowers are photon blast and flight. Thanos Powers is the Infinity Gauntlet. Captain Marvel isn't durable to most attacks. Thanos is very durable to most attacks. Also to note that in the X-Men cartoon Rogue steals Captain Marvel powers at one point. So in conclusion: Thanos will mincemeat Captain Marvel. Unless if I missed something that I don't know about please address me.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-03-11 at 01:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: There So Many Issues About Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos Fight That Needs To Be AdrAd

I feel like you're incorrect about her power level and probably mistaken in assuming she'll somehow be fighting him one on one in a big ensemble movie with multiple protagonists.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2019-03-11 at 01:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: There So Many Issues About Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos Fight That Needs To Be AdrAd

What're you trying to achieve here?

(also, Hawkeye will kill thanos, duh.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post

I'm just pointing out the flaws here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: There So Many Issues About Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos Fight That Needs To Be Adres

The movie's called "Avengers: Endgame", not "Captain Marvel vs Thanos single-handedly without the rest of the Avengers + Co alongside."

Although I won't doubt she'll be a crucial point in the fight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: There So Many Issues About Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos Fight That Needs To Be Adres

Could we, maybe, wait until we see how the movie handles it before we start critising it...?

Seeing, at least, we haven't even had clips or teasers or anything (unless you know something I don't) to even assume that... That will actually even happen? (As in, not-a-group-fight?)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-03-11 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    The movie's called "Avengers: Endgame", not "Captain Marvel vs Thanos single-handedly without the rest of the Avengers + Co alongside."

Although I won't doubt she'll be a crucial point in the fight.
    Hahaha, I'm also pretty sure the final resolution isn't gonna end up hinging on violent conflict, I feel like everything since Civil War has been setting this up.

I'm sure there'll be some really nice cinematic fight sequences before the finale, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    First off Captain Marvel is a mid-tier hero and Thanos is a god tier villain.
    You don't know a lot about Captain Marvel, do you?

Mar-Vell has defeated Thanos a couple of times, including when Thanos had a cosmic cube, and Carol Danvers is more powerful than Mar-Vell was. (She was always physically stronger, but after the Brood fiddled with her to make her into Binary her energy handling went through the roof).

Carol is able to give the Sentry a hard time, and he's basically Superman.

All of this is, however, not terribly relevant because if you think the solution to the problem in Endgame is "Punch Thanos better this time" you've probably not understood what a story is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You don't know a lot about Captain Marvel, do you?

Mar-Vell has defeated Thanos a couple of times, including when Thanos had a cosmic cube, and Carol Danvers is more powerful than Mar-Vell was. (She was always physically stronger, but after the Brood fiddled with her to make her into Binary her energy handling went through the roof).

Carol is able to give the Sentry a hard time, and he's basically Superman.

All of this is, however, not terribly relevant because if you think the solution to the problem in Endgame is "Punch Thanos better this time" you've probably not understood what a story is.
    I have only see the movie of Captain Marvel and Infinity War. That why I ask did I miss something and sounds to me I miss so much stuff on Captain Marvel.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

I have only see the movie of Captain Marvel and Infinity War. That why I ask did I miss something and sounds to me I miss so much stuff on Captain Marvel.
    Yeah you didn't just miss on Captain Marvel. The Infinity Gauntlet was destroyed by Thanos' Snap. He won't be nearly as strong as he was in Infinity War.

Captain Marvel's abilities are sourced from the Tesserect, specifically oriented towards being able to go at light speed, and being able to harness light and energy to shoot out fireblasts. One of the things she does, incredibly casually, is fly through a Kree battleship, destroying it entirely. The last time we saw one of those, it took an entire planet's military, plus Yondu's gang, plus the Guardians of the Galaxy attacking it from both within and without, to take it down.

She will be able to match Thanos.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Hahaha, I'm also pretty sure the final resolution isn't gonna end up hinging on violent conflict, I feel like everything since Civil War has been setting this up.

I'm sure there'll be some really nice cinematic fight sequences before the finale, though.
    Man, I hope so. I'm pretty sick at this point of what another thread called "action figure fighting", where two heroes are just slapped against each other with the occasional energy blasts, until one is better than the other and wins. (Yes, I know, why am I even watching Marvel movies when I don't like this.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12

It will not happen, but I'm still holding out hope that Thanos will be defeated by Squirrel Girl. Offscreen. While she's on the way to the store.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    She will be able to match Thanos.
    The impression I get from the various movies is that she's around Thor's current level of power. That is, she's on the top scale for the various heroes, but still not a match for Thanos.

This is mainly inferred from Thanos being the Endgame villain. I'd expect the entire Avengers team to be barely a match for Thanos for dramatic purposes. (Cleverly subverting expectations usually makes a movie better, but I don't see how this could work.)

14. - Top - End - #14

Didn't the infinity gauntlet got busted when Thanos snapped his fingers? I remember it being burned out and destroyed. i'm not sure if he will be able to use it to fight.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It seems self-evident to me:
    please address me.

Kidding aside, BMH, I think you are missing a lot from the comic universe history. Thanos is not, and certainly has not always been, a godlike destroyer, occasionally he gets stymied by a kid who uses the cosmic cube to get ice cream (and Thanos escapes capture in his patented helicopter). Other times, he fails to capture the heroes hostess fruit pies, or gets defeated by Squirrel Girl off-camera. He is not the Marvel universe's consistent big-bad (that might be Galactus, although even he gets woobied in some continuities).

Regardless, I think people are right, this movie isn't going to be ended by who has the bigger... power potential. That went out the window when the Hulk* decided he didn't want to play ball with Banner's goals.
    *Despite how much I roll my eyes when other comic fans go, "his powers have no upward boundary!" as though that proved something, he is routinely used as the go-to when they need 'the most powerful' for a situation.

No, this story is going to be solved by someone thinking of the right way to best Thanos, not out-punching/blasting him. It could be Captain Marvel, or Tony Stark (presumably in a self-sacrifice, as they've been telegraphing him leaving for a while), or Ant Man/Wasp/Hawkeye/Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post

I am sure there will be many fights and false starts and heroes-looking-like-they-are-about-to-lose before they win the day and un-kill everyone not too expensive to put in any more movies.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    The impression I get from the various movies is that she's around Thor's current level of power. That is, she's on the top scale for the various heroes, but still not a match for Thanos.
    The Thor who beat out the Power stone in a beam struggle at the end if Infinity War and who Thanos admitted would have killed him if Thor had gone for a headshot instead of assuming putting a massive blade through his chest would do the job like it would for almost any other normal humanoid? If the heroes get two fighters on that level they can kick Thanos around the galaxy as much as they want.

Storywise, of course, the reason they get to do that now is that "punch him harder" stopped being a solution as soon as the snap happened. It's at best part of a plan for recovering the Stones and figuring out how to undo the Snap.

17. - Top - End - #17

That's why I dislike this nerd tradition of "Comparing power levels" characters are not their powers, their powers are only part of them.

Take Cap. America for exmeple his power set is quite boring and lackluster. He's super strong and resistant but not in superman levels, it's not his power level that makes him who he is, he's the leader of the Avengers becuase of his resolve, personality and morals, he is bigger than the sum of his parts.

That's why Cap. America is not a good character for a video game adaptation his power set is not fun, it's very mundane, but his character makes him greater than most villans and able to go toe to toe with cosmic beings.

Nerds often asume cosmic power levels = wins but they forget that narrative speaking normal people can subvert that.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2019-03-12 at 11:18 AM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Considering how much more powerful Carol is than most of the cinematic Avengers (probably about on par with Wanda, tbh.), you'd probably have even more issues if she wasn't in the picture.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

'Peak human' is terrifying. Having peak strength, speed, stamina... like, it's impossible (I maintain that Batman can only do it with billionaire cheats) but have you ever actually seen an athlete or performer move? It's a legit better super power than a whole load of others.

As for power levels: I like my consistency. I like quality fights, and I'd rather see some ingenius way of evening the odds over just adjusting stuff for the story. It feels really, really cheap everytime the justice league all get caught by something slow. Plus I've got a calculating mind and I feel cheated when -peasant scrub- beats -chad Knight- in a simple duel.

You could do a lot narratively with a struggle, winning for convience's sake just grinds me. So when I see cap holding thanos's gauntlet..

I really, really want hawkeye to kill thanos tho. You can have all the other guys weaken him up, but Hawkeye doing a david is like, the best possible way to do it.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-03-12 at 11:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

One of the coolest ideas I heard of what the Endgame teaser trailer could have been was a slow walk through a house. Not well lit. Old style architecture. Something creepily slowly playing... Ring Around the Rosie would be good*, but it would probably be something more modern. And you get upstairs, see a man kneeling on the floor, surrounded by dust... and Clint looks up, with murder in his eyes.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #21

Carol's basically to the Cosmic Tier heroes what Captain America is to the Avengers and Spider-man is to the street level supers.

She's not the best at any one thing--she's not the strongest or the fastest, or the toughest, or the energy blastiest, or the Smartest.

But she's really, really, really good at all of that.

And she's good at using all of that together.

And she's just too damn stubborn to give up.

She's probably not gonna be the one to defeat Thanos.

But she's the kind of Heavy Hitter that'll give an assembled team a chance.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel really stupid right now. I should've researched a bit more carefully before making this thread. That's a big d'oh right here for me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, let's combine this topic with some other Bartmanhomer threads:

If Thanos was Ash Ketchum's starter pokemon, would that make it easier or harder for the Avengers to defeat him?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Okay, let's combine this topic with some other Bartmanhomer threads:

If Thanos was Ash Ketchum's starter pokemon, would that make it easier or harder for the Avengers to defeat him?
    So much harder. Ash's Pokemon practically get Silver-Age Superman powers - that is, they can basically just make up one-shot powers with the flimsiest justification. Of course, that's more or less what the Infinity Gauntlet lets him do, too..

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    So much harder. Ash's Pokemon practically get Silver-Age Superman powers - that is, they can basically just make up one-shot powers with the flimsiest justification. Of course, that's more or less what the Infinity Gauntlet lets him do, too..
    Thanos finds out that he cant finger snap darkseid? As an Ash Ketchum pokemon he just snaps HARDER and it works!

Darkseid "But, the gauntlet doesnt work in a different reality!" /fades away
    Thanos "Than, NOS than!" /victory pose with Ash
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thanos finds out that he cant finger snap darkseid? As an Ash Ketchum pokemon he just snaps HARDER and it works!

Darkseid "But, the gauntlet doesnt work in a different reality!" /fades away
    Thanos "Than, NOS than!" /victory pose with Ash
    Ok, so I'm thinking 'Infinity Gauntlet' is a Trait, and it interacts with different Stones as Hold Items to unlock different moves and improve stats for Thanos, maybe switch between Types, that's been done before with some of the other Legendaries. Then all six stones is his Mega Evolution or maybe a different Forme, replaces the trait with something else (Always makes Thanos strike/take damage as if he had type advantage, maybe?) plus all of his moves are swapped for something representative of the various Stones.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

But being one of Ash's Pokémon gives Thanos a fatal weakness: league tournaments. All the Avengers have to do is mock up the big fight as a championship match and Thanos will fold like cardboard.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that Carol Danvers sounding like Kara Danvers and Mar-Vell being similar to Kal-El is not a coincidence. They are homage characters to the man and the girl of steel, with just enough of the serial numbers filed off as to avoid lawsuits. So bear that in mind when considering Captain Marvel's power level and abilities.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    The thing that a lot of people don't get is that Carol Danvers sounding like Kara Danvers and Mar-Vell being similar to Kal-El is not a coincidence. They are homage characters to the man and the girl of steel, with just enough of the serial numbers filed off as to avoid lawsuits. So bear that in mind when considering Captain Marvel's power level and abilities.
    ... I never got that.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    But being one of Ash's Pokémon gives Thanos a fatal weakness: league tournaments. All the Avengers have to do is mock up the big fight as a championship match and Thanos will fold like cardboard.
    Yeah. Ash can win arena fights by bull****ting (There was this one fight where Pikachu defeated a ground-type Pokémon immune to lightning by trying harder), but the only thing the Avengers would have to do is set up their own Top 8 fight and Ash/Thanos would wash out in round 3.

Or get Ash to move to a new country. Pretty good chances he'd store Thanos on a computer and never get him out again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist