1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: TW: Imperium IC

The Exiles' Consortium

Enigma 5

Spoiler: House Greenflame
    Show
    Master Saquar,

A loan is certainly within our power. How much funding were you interested in?

-O

Spoiler: House Gilkara PM
    Show
    "A mask has many purposes, Bolkas. For Protection. To hide one's identity. To keep one's smiles or glares hidden." Was that a joke?
    "But as to seeking this list, there are a variety of issues:
    -Why not simply go straight for the spheres?
    -It is unknown exactly how much leverage a list will hold over the houses.
    -Anything belonging to the Imperials is going to have exceedingly difficult security, especially after the Collective's attack.
    -Even if I acquire all of the spheres, I would not be recognized in any formal capacity as Emperor.
    -The Consortium has more immediate concerns than a list.
    What say you to these points?"

Spoiler: Tatrus PM
    Show
    "Excellent. It is always quite agreeable doing business with the High Courtesan.
    As for formalizing a military alliance or defensive pact, the Consortium is very much interested. However, we lack any considerable sum of prestige with which to strike a deal."
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

2. - Top - End - #302

RogueGuy

Zaqaru Ball
    Bolkas frowns and places the vials back into his pockets. "I can't help it, it's my only weakness. I must tempt." He licks his lips and follows Ayallal to the next ballroom.
    Spoiler: Zaqaru: PM
    Show
    "We are a new house and need to show that we came by them properly. And in trade, the value can be worth the same to another House.

As for your proposed other suitors for this arrangement, Vastadd is a quiet house. Her father put their House in delinquency and abandoned her. A sad affair, but it means that she owes someone and might be desperate enough to turn on us.

She and Voss also share territory in Hallow. We aren't at war right now, but if we expand, they are both possible resistance to a throne. We don't want to present this opportunity to either of them.

Plus, I've heard some grapes talking through vines that you might be the only person in this Imperium that can match a certain appetite I have. The business talk is just a bonus after all."
    Bolkas dances greedily and enjoys himself. He focuses his attention on the older woman, letting the rest of the Ball fade into the background.

Arnadred keeps turning her head during the dance to watch for the white robed men. Her body presses against Aburnar's as they move through the dance and she clings to him. She mumbles, "They wouldn't hurt a duke, or children."

Arnadred notices how close she is to Aburnar and her psychological imprint fades. Her cheeks turn red with blush and her heart bounces in her chest. Her feet disappear from underneath her, and all that she feels is Aburnar. Her brain screams to run, but her body follows his movements. Then the imprint takes place again. She relaxes, her mind changes to planning the next step.

Bolkas smells the pheromones; it flitters into his nostrils and he grins.

As they get closer to the Gardens, Arnadred speaks up. "Aburnar, you don't have to help me like this. They won't hurt me. I… I'll survive whatever they have planned." She sticks close to him, pulling his arm around her waist to look like a proper couple. A shiver runs down her spine.

Spoiler: Exile's Consortium: PM
    Show
    Bolkas sinks back into his chair. "You are right, but you are wrong also. The Imperial Decree given by our last Emperor specifically states that anyone is able to obtain these and gain the throne.
    'The Imperial College of Sciences have been given a list of the most vital threats to the Imperium's stability. Anyone who identifies such a threat and solves the issue will be rewarded an archon sphere containing one set of encryption algorithms for the Titanium Throne. In the truest sense the throne will go to the one who brings the most stability to the Imperium'.

So screw nobility, screw honor, screw lineage, and screw what anyone else thinks. With these, you unlock the Empire.

And you are right about security. It will be difficult, which is why I am approaching you. I see you as the only entity that might be able to pull this off. But I understand that you are busy. I feel like I'm always out of time."

He leans forward and shifts his hands around. "As for the spheres. I assume it would be even more difficult to find those, much less retrieve them. The list, that'd be easier. Which is another reason that I'm asking you. If you take a stone, and someone starts solving these issues, I'll know that they can't get all of them. Right?" Bolkas stands up. He puts his head in his hands and walks around for a few moments.

"I ask you not to undervalue the proper process for this. Even gaining one sphere publicly will show the other houses that you are worthy. That'll bring biscuits and knives. Other powers will see these as either a house that is fit to rule, or a nemesis trying to snatch power from them. Two particular people come to mind. Which ties into your final point. Your southern neighbors are likely to be called to war against your northern neighbors. I see a lot of problems for you if it comes to that. Choke points for the sector lie in your territory. If either side wants to cut the other out, taking your planets and blockading warp gates in your sector are the easiest ways to do that.

Then, there is the threat of a title going to Tartarus Steel. They'll be King and Queen in less than a decade if either makes Duke, which, played right, might get you a title, but at a cost. And if their ambitions expand, they'll bide their time and roll out into neighboring sectors. Again, you'll be the best defensive position for either side.

House Gilkara can help with this. Listen all you want to the networks or the fancy speeches, but if you will help us with this, we will provide support. We aren't the biggest fleet, sure, and we aren't the best agents, sure. But we are far from the worst and our council is molded to be assets for every situation. We can be by your side, whether you want it public or not, with a notable force.
    If it must be something in the future, then so be it. Our concern is that once things quiet down, security might go back up."

Bolkas shakes himself and sits back down. "If none of that sounds appealing, we can come to some arrangement to help you build one of those mobile colonies you have. We know they're ridiculously difficult to manufacture."

Spoiler: TRAM: PM
    Show
    "First, I propose that we keep this research agreement moving. It is our first intuition to ask that once all Archives have been copied, we move to another subject. Filo prefers people, warp gates, and technology in that order, but we are willing to listen to each of the other Houses needs.

Filo has made great strides in our ability to create efficient colonies efficiently. Along with our Technology Archive, the recent research has cut construction by twenty percent. We would be willing to provide this to this research team under the understanding that once we all have this ability, we will utilize it together.

We would like to propose to House Greenflame a trade. We are offering to build you a new Market site in a location of our choosing in the system of your choosing, providing it meets specific requirements, in exchange for ten units of Colony Optimization AI, ten units of Auto Cannons, and ten units of Fighter Forges.

To move in this direction, we would like to propose a treaty. We want to work with you all on the terms. With our construction efforts, we will put our word towards this. ((30 Prestige)). We will also open access to the blueprints that we have. These are Zaqaru Jewelry (Court), Fire Control (Navy), Starburst Auto Cannon (Navy), and Nano-Assemblers (Market). We ask for a defensive pact between us. And we will allow for coordinated offensive pacts. It is our vision that we will share resources to match each faction's interest while preserving the TRAM. We believe that this cohesive group can work together to create an unmatched force in the Empire.

I humbly await your feedback."
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

“You flatterer.” Ayallal Attar leans in against Bolkas Gilkara. The two form a pallet of roses, a passionate swirl on the ballroom, two bodies moving intimately together, the fragrance of spices being mixed, a moon-filled dream. Lust and cravings expressed as a warm-blooded form of art in a dance with a subtext and melody of its own, drowning out the original music as little else matters than the two of them.

Spoiler: Secret Courtish Whispers
    Show
    “I see your point of view. Tell me, Bolkas, dear Bolkas. Will anything else satisfy your longing to have all in reach?”

Aburnar looks at Arnadred as they step through an arch outside the Erit Palace, flowers welcoming them to the Gardens. Colourful and lush greenery welcomes them to the outside, which is pleasant and a tad fresher than inside. Delicate flowers, pathways in symmetrical shapes. Several other arches, balconies and stairs lead to the Gardens over the full range over the magnificent size of the palace. At the start there are small plazas, fountains, soon leading to paths between hedges, offering secluded places to talk privately for a moment. Further on, a traditional hedge maze filled with gorgeous plants and flowers of pure beauty leads further in the gardens, or a way around the Erit Palace to the entrance.

Aburnar leans in. “You sound so serious. I do not doubt they won’t hurt you, but they will hurt me. By urging you away from me, dousing the flames in my heart you make me feel. You open up a.” For a moment he is lost, looking in the distance, then refocuses with a warm smile. “A rare sense of adventure.” With an moving forward and a welcoming smile he points out a path in the hedge maze. “So, Fair Maiden Arna, still want to show me how your courts work?”

Enigma 7

Spoiler: House Okeke
    Show
    Dear Akachi Okeke,

As the Quest for Zanadu has been completed upon finding the Fortress Palace of Zanadu, Zaqaru will owe its obligation and ensure you have your share. As previously agreed, House Okeke would receive a share based on the contribution, up to half. Your contribution was 48.89% of the scientists and your share will be the same. As similarly agreed, anything of Zaqaru origin is translated into worth, which will be compensated. By my calculations, this results in the following share of House Okeke:

10 Prestige
    48.89% of the Nebula Hydra corpse
    17.2 Trade

Please confirm this share. In addition, I would like to know how you wish to handle distribution of the Nebula Hydra corpse. I am open to negotiation regarding the alien find.

Yours sincerely,
    Lady Sun
    Assistant of Grand Diplomat Ninu Zaqaru, Robot Unicorn Princess

Enigma: Outside Imperium Space

Spoiler: Zaqaru to Shadda Cabal [Enigma: Outside Imperial Space]
    Show
    "Ah, the Shadda Cabal instead wishes to haggle a price for your cleaning efforts. Sure! For your kind service I generously offer [5 Trade]. By the way, as you know who I am, what is your personal name?" Robot Unicorn Princess Ninu's voice is friendly, with an everpresent happy tone.

Spoiler: Zaqaru to House Okeke [Enigma: Outside Imperium Space]
    Show
    "Thank you for the information, Duchess Akachi Okeke. Let's hope they managed to clear them all then."

Spoiler: The Shadda Cabbal to the Zaqaru Dynasty [Enigma: Red]
    Show
    "In light of your clear inexperience in negotiation we of the Cabal will be happy to offer you a beginnger's discount to bring the total cost to [45 Trade]. As for my name why that is also for sale. A paltry [1 Trade] and it can be yours. A low price to save yourself the trouble of collecting the knowledge yourself. But in the Cabal everything is for sale."

Spoiler: Zaqaru to Shadda Cabal [Enigma: Outside Imperium Space]
    Show
    "Such lack of etiquette, if you won't even state your name. Given the exorbitant price you are asking for even a name, I see why you start out so high for cleaning services. So I'll be generous and give you a name!" With a giggle, she continues. "I'll name you... Pinguin! And don't worry, that's free. Pinguin, I understand the kr'k are a pest to get rid of, so for the extra effort you have done clearing them from the Fortress Palace of Zanadu I'm willing to raise my offer to [7 Trade]."

Spoiler: The Shadda Cabbal to the Zaqaru Dynasty [Enigma: Grey]
    Show
    The response this time takes a little longer and the voice is different, more robotic and precise, "Earl Ninu Zaqaru, if you aren't willing to negotiate in good faith, then the Cabal will not force you to. As you stated your ancestors built Zanadu so in your claim to it they must have left you everything you need. Therefore the Cabal will take it's leave."

"Good luck and don't contact the Cabal again unless you're willing to pay a reasonable price." The line cuts off and no further responses are forthcoming from the Cabal.

Spoiler: Zaqaru to Shadda Cabal [Enigma: Outside Imperium Space]
    Show
    "Thank you for vacating the premises, Pinguin! I don't know why you don't want to get paid for services done, but I'll look into that reward I mentioned. Was interesting to meet you and your colleague at the end. Bye bye!"
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Other image host.

4. - Top - End - #304

RogueGuy

Zaqaru Ball
    Arnadred runs her hands over her hair, feeling along the strands and maneuvering a few into position. She smiles up at Aburnar and offers her hand, "Please, lead the way."

She pulls him into a secluded area during their route through the Gardens, and takes both of his hands. "You were so confident and polite when you approached me Aburnar. I haven't had anyone talk to me with such respect, yet expectancy, and I admit I was a little overwhelmed at first, but you followed through on your curiosity and came after me. I'm happy that you did." Arnadred leans forward and places her head against Aburnar. "Then you were so tactful and subtle in dealing with my overseers. You've been playful and warm with me, and now you've opened up to me." She moves her arms underneath his and wraps hers around him.

"I don't get to socialize this much. Everyone keeps me at a distance and treats me like I'm a toy or a pet, and it would be great to have someone by my side who would listen. Someone who cared about more than if I was improving, and showing aptitude, and posing correctly.
    I want to show you the courts, and the universities and academies."

Arnadred freezes, her heart drops to her stomach and she winces in pain. "But, you don't really mean what you're saying. You think you do, but what you're feeling isn't real." She gently pushes from him and turns away. The stinging in her eyes forces them shut.

"I'm sorry, but I've been manipulating you. They trained me to do it; I can't turn it on and off like the others can. And after we talked, after I saw your interest in me, I would have done it anyway." Her voice rises and Arnadred can feel the tears swelling.

"You don't deserve this, you deserve better than me. I was going to use you, but I can't. I won't." Her voice pleads into Aburnar's ears, her head drops in shame.

A hand shoots out from around a corner and it is closely followed by a woman in a white robe. "So, this is where you've been hiding." The woman grabs Arnadred's arm and twists it behind her back. "Why did you run from your advisors? You could have followed protocol better and then made your move once you had their trust. Bolkas will be displeased with you, child."

Arnadred looks at Aburnar, "I'm so..."

The woman shoves Arnadred to her knees. Arnadred lets out a grunt. "Shh. Quiet child, you have embarrassed this man enough." She gives a quick bow to Aburnar. "The nation of Filo will see that this one bothers you no longer, my Lord. She has played with your heart enough. Even now, your feelings should be fading for her." She whispers something into Arnadred's ear that makes the girl whimper, and the advisor glares at Aburnar.

Bolkas grins, "You mean besides what's in front of me now?"
    Show
    "Well, not exactly, but there is another matter of business. Filo wouldn't mind taking some revenge on a particular faction. It would be in our style to take the very ships that cost us three capital ships and have them for the next encounter. They'll have more than enough to equip our entire fleet."
    Bolkas dances and laughs, "I'm afraid nothing will ever satisfy my hunger. I'm a scorpion. I have to sting."
    Bastilonis

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayallal laughs at Bolkas. “You continue to flatter.” She leans against him and whispers words of seduction in his ears.

Show
    “That’s certainly an attractive idea, I like the basics, though I’d like to see more ambition. There’s certainly more to take there, and unless they’ve suddenly shifted focus, it’ll be easy enough too.”

“But first. Sting me, scorpion. Let’s eat the passion of the dance.” She moves the two in the dance amidst the colours, the beat leading them on to ever greater heights. Clashing darkness and light, the twilight droning through the ballroom, sweeping the two on a wild adventure of ecstasy and passion. Odours and bodies, touch and nails clenching in skin, the sweet embrace and the spice of movement.

Aburnar proves a good listener to Arnadred as she pulls him in the secluded niche in the Gardens. A smile plays as they hold. “I’m happy too.” He says as she leans her head against him. His body is reassuring as they hug. A she speaks of showing the courts, the universities and academies, he responds with pleasure. “That’d be lovely.”

When she winces in pain, he clearly expresses concern. There’s a mild look of confusion on his face as she confesses she’s been manipulating him, telling him he doesn’t deserve her. As she drops her face, she sees a frown.

The confusion remains as the white robed person enters, though Aburnar stays calm. A forced calm, however, as he attentively looks at the woman. He coughs for a moment, giving a subtle hint, but it falls away against the advisor busily holding Arnadred and shoving her to her knees. Aburnar twitches. His eyes narrow at the white robed woman.

Aburnar’s stance changes. With Arnadred, he showed warmth, compassion towards a fellow noble. Now he has turned towards the woman advisor in white. Aburnar’s rigid straight stance radiates authority, his glance looks down upon her, not just in the literal sense as she bows to him. With a demanding voice that clearly does not tolerate disobedience from her, a tone that hints the words will not be repeated, he utters solidly:

“Unhand her.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 10:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306

RogueGuy

Zaqaru Ball
    Aburnar's words jolt Arnadred. She can't help but smile when she hears him order the advisor to release her. She had forgotten about Bolkas's advisors though. Hers were no doubt still dancing with children and begging to be dismissed.

She had almost gotten away. Aburnar had opened up to her when they were alone together, and if Bolkas hadn't slipped his advisors or demanded to be her chaperone, she would be in a ship with Aburnar already. She had gotten so close.

"My Lord!" The advisor objects. "I was tasked by Bolkas Gilkara to make sure that this girl does no damage to the reputation of Filo, or House Gilkara. You slipped her advisors and she got you alone. You are in danger." The advisor slowly takes her hands away from Arnadred.

She shakes her head slowly at Aburnar. "She's smarter than any of us. She's been enhanced and molded. It would take years to explain." The advisor looks down at Arnadred and adds, "If I could."

"Look at her my lord. Look at her rainbow hair. She did that to her hair with common chemicals last night so there wouldn't be time to change it back. She clearly has no restraint or sense of decency. She sticks out like a light in the dark. How can I make you see that she is a danger to you?" Arnadred shudders and stifles a cry.

"You see that? She's trying to manipulate me with her emotions. I've known her since she was a child and she's learned to take whatever she wants and win any situation. She knows how hard it is for me to restrain her. She's using my relationship to her as a defense against me."

The advisor looks to Aburnar, "I beg of you to leave. She will ruin any chance of you ever finding a match if she gets you to fall for her. No other person can imprint on you like she will my lord. Filo won't allow this embarrassment to affect our relationship with Zaqaru. We won't supply you with a mistress that will ruin every relationship you will ever have." There's a subtle move of the advisor's right hand. It drops past the robe's pocket and moves into the robe. The arm clenches something hidden, and the advisor looks down at Arnadred with a look of regret.

"My temptress!" Bolkas leads through the movements of the dance. He gently expands his motions and keeps the woman under ease. Inside the ecstasy and passion of the dance he completely forgets himself.

He comes back into focus after a wild dance and laughs apologetically but happily. "You are always pushing for more." It is worth coming to the event just for the event.
    Show
    "Originally it could have been easy, but they are protected now. I see that you are more ambitious than I. The real prize would be the act itself. The rest is just a treat. If you want some real ambition, then let's take that ship.
    Bolkas smiles devilishly.
    Bastilonis

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Grand Conference of Hallow
    Queen Persephone looks nonplussed at Torbin's demands, "The heir issue is a matter of trust and connections. If you are not willing to send your heir to the Imperial Capital then how can we trust that you intend to stay loyal. It will also allow them to grow up with their peers and make valuable allies to better ensure the Imperium is governed by a cohesive whole. If you are worried about their education, then know that they would attend the Imperial Academy, which is the finest institution of learning in the entire Imperium. And if you are still unconvinced, then there is no reason you could not send your own tutors."

"As for your second and third demands it seems you have a quarrel with my other vassals. It is not my place to interfere in the rivalries of my vassals. Especially as said quarrel originated before any of you pledged loyalty to me. However I will give you my blessing to engage them in war if you wish to claim some recompense from them."

"If you are so certain that the Collective be vanquished then you must be willing to share the burden of the war to do so. If you insist on war, then we insist that your entire Navy be put at our disposal until they are eliminated."

"Your last request shows disagreeable lack of respect for the throne. I am not claiming your loyalty as Empress of the Imperium, but as your rightful duty to Pale Throne of Hallow. A throne which has existed for centuries and will exist for centuries more."

The other nobles are nodding at this, whatever they might think about the person sitting on the throne they all agree that the throne itself represents the Hallow sector.

----

The other nobles stake out their positions as well. Duke Mertens is willing to agree to most points, but wants a guarantee that House Mertens will always pay 5% less in tribute than any other noble. Duke Berger wants military aid in the event that his house goes to war. Duchess Vastadd wants autonomy in her ability to conduct diplomacy with other houses. Duke Arnos and Duchess Voss seem to be angling for a recognition of Queen Persephone in exchange for a recognition of their own territory in Hallow without a formal declaration of fealty.

The Zaqaru Ball
    Duke Lacross sips his wine, "Three meters of grey muscle and cybernetics that focus everything they have into a killing rage without any considerations of pain or fear. They're quite a sight, but honestly they're mostly only a threat to civilians. Pirates use them as cheap shock troops for boarding merchant ships and raiding, but a well trained force of marines can deal with them easily enough. The lack of fear also gives them a lack of planning and tactics."

"At the time of course I wasn't well trained. Only a young and reckless boy looking for adventure out in the stars. The berserker didn't even phase me. A few weeks in a regen tank and I was off looking for new systems to conquer and monsters to slay. I've seen much worse things since then." The Duke gets a faraway look in his eyes as he recalls past memories.

----

As the heir to House Voss Liesse does not hesitate to take the lead in moving around the dance floor. She smiles slightly, "Well enough Lord Zaqaru. I had heard of the extravagance of the Zaqaru palaces, and I have not been disappointed. Though I have heard you are searching for an even more luxurious one yet."

Zaqaru Dynasty
    Spoiler: House Starosta [Enigma 4]
    Show
    "A mistake on everyone's part. The very foundation of the collective means that their government is unstable. Their elected leader only rules for a year, which is no time at all to be making long term plans. It's why they've never amount to much and to a greater extent why the Infinite Republic has never been a true threat to the Imperium."

"They may occasionally turn aggressive, but they can't maintain a decades long war without their own citizenry rebelling. That is unless of course those same citizens believe that they're about to be invaded by corrupt nobles out to make them all slaves or kill them for sport."

"There's a reason they never had anything like their new super dreadnought under the old Emperor. He knew how to keep them not just contained, but a useful part of the Imperium."

Spoiler: House Voss [Enigma: 5]
    Show
    (OOC: Yes, they used 25 prestige.)

Spoiler: House Mertens [Enigma: 6]
    Show
    Lyrae and Jinks are too evenly matched. They can't make a move for fear that the other other will take advantage. Their interest in the Laramy fight is that one sibling will be able to tip their war one way or the other.

Spoiler: House Okeke [Enigma: 5]
    Show
    That is acceptable. We suggest contacting a merchant house and selling the Hydra. Likely we could get [10-15 Trade] for it. The corpse is likely worth more than that to a collector and might yield interesting results if studied, but those options take more time to resolve.

Duchess Akachi Okeke

Exiles' Consortium
    Show
    We are willing to sell either type for [2 Trade] per [5 Equipment].

House Gilkara
    Spoiler: Archduke Alexander [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "True it might. And if every other House here joined with me we could crush my sister. But that won't happen." He counts off on his fingers, "Old Duke Mertens won't lift a finger unless my sister taxes him too heavily. Duchess Voss is more concerned with House Zaqaru than anything going on in the Hallow sector. She can't afford to lose any strength. House Berger literally declared war on me. He'd side with my sister in an instant if he thought he could nibble a few core systems for himself. And at that point who is left. Vastadd who are aligned with the Greenflame to focus on the Collective. Arnos who don't care a whit about this sector. And you whom I personally watched pledge loyalty to my sister."

Spoiler: House Berger [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    (OOC: What compensation are you talking about)

Spoiler: House Voss [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "If you truly wished to strengthen our position you would withdraw your oath. This would make you eligible to join the defenseive alliance I have made with the Zaqaru, but also leave you looking weak and indecisive."

Spoiler: House Arnos [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "What do I care for lineage. House Arnos was raised to nobility only a few generations ago. You yourself were a commoner. Getting the House of Steel into her camp was a smart move on Persephone's part, but you shouldn't underestimate Tatarus either. They have spies everywhere and they can cripple a fleet as effectively as any torpedo volley."

"In truth I have little issue with Persephone. I'll recognize her as queen of Hallow, but importantly the Queen of Hallow is not my Queen. Most of my territory lies outside Hallow space so she has no legal right to call on my loyalty, and too many potential enemies to risk a war over a few systems."

"You could probably do the same. Persephone's position is so unstable right now that as long as you don't actively hinder her plans she probably won't target you. However all who pledge their loyalty now will be remembered. As will those who do not. That applies to House Arnos as well of course, but the stigma is less because my loyalties lie in Canzanelli. As for whether House Gilkara can risk it, well that is your call as duke."

Spoiler: House Mertens [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "If you wish for a loan, then that interest is too low. Your House and mine do not have such a good relation as that Duke Gilkara. I will offer you terms of [7 Trade now for 13 Trade over four turns]

House Greenflame
    Spoiler: The Freehold [Enigma: Outside Imperial Space
    Show
    ]"We will hear what you have to say."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Grand Diplomat Ninu Zaqaru
    Robot Unicorn Princess
    Earl of Mithurtu
    Sarahu Explorer
    Winner of the Tattooine Run

I hereby announce

The Fortress Palace of Zanadu has been found!

The Sarahu Explorer Trio succeeded!

On behalf of myself and Zaqaru, I offer my heartfelt thanks to the Sarahu Explorer

Duke Benjamin Stone of House Lonestar!

for leading us through the Sarahu Nebula, charting through unknown space, battling pirates and restoring a warp gate along the way!

On behalf of myself and Zaqaru, I offer my heartfelt thanks to the Sarahu Explorer

Duchess Akachi Okeke!

for leading us through the very dangers of the Sarahu Nebula itself, finding the weakness of the Nebula Hydra and exploring onward!

My thanks goes out to everybody on the expedition, for their and support, their scientific achievements and exploration efforts, their ability to bring us to our final destination.

I thank my faithful guide, Sinma Zaqaru, who pointed the path I could follow on my Robot Unicorn to the final gate beyond which we found what we had been looking for, fulfilling the Quest for Zanadu!

The ancient Zaqaru Fortress Palace of Zanadu!
    Once lost in the mists of time!
    History regained for a bright future!
    Zanadu has been found!

Aburnar listens to the woman advisor in white as she holds Arnadred, but he’s soon growing impatient as the woman advisor does not heed his words. She has a lot to explain, yet she does not release Arnadred. Aburnar remains calm as he proceeds.

With a swift movement of his hand, Aburnar casually reaches in a pocket almost hidden away in the decorations of his garb and pulls out a golden revolver, its sheen showing its worth. With practised ease Aburnar points it at the advisor and pulls the trigger without hesitation, without pause. A golden streak hits the woman in her chest and the advisor slumps down.

“It’s set to stun.” Aburnar mentions as he pockets the gun, gesturing to Arnadred to stand up. “Arnadred, what’s your goal? Please don’t disgrace yourself by lying at this point.”

Ayallal Attar whispers in Bolkas Gilkara’s ear as she pushes him over the dancefloor to the next act of the dance.

Show
    “Now that’s ambition. Oh, how I’d like that, but the whole infrastructure is too much of a hassle.” She breathes in his ear for a moment. “The act and the prize are tied to each other. To carve your own brand in the greatest vault of the Empire can be as satisfying as emptying the poorly locked vault of another. But merely taking a sample out of the latter? That begs for more. Who knows what Archives might be of use there..”

With large eyes of curiosity, Eskit Zaqaru listens to Duke Menard Lacross talking about the Larnox Berseker. A soft gasp as he mentions they are quite a sight, but this ends in relief as they are only a threat to civilians. She nods at his further elaboration, drinking her own wine and smiling as he tells of his own recovery.

“I’m happy you recovered, Duke Lacross.” She notices how he looks in the distance. “Are you thinking about your time at the Bastion?”

Sangezi Zaqaru follows Lady Liesse Voss’ lead with refined finesse, moving as she dictates. “I am glad the Erit Palace does not disappoint.” He offers a polite smile as he responds with regards to the search. “The Fortress Palace of Zanadu, indeed. Though it will need to be restored to its former glory before it can outmatch the Erit Palace’s finest at Balls such as this.”

With a curious look, he asks: “And if I may ask, what are you searching for, Lady Voss?”

Sinma Zaqaru

Fashionably late to the Zaqaru Ball, Sinma Zaqaru finally makes an appearance stepping through the Entrance Hall. He is wearing a robe in an old Zaqaru style of fashion of ages ago. The main colour a typical teal Zaqaru colour, drapes of white with palladium decorations. An antique garment of an old time where the Fortress Palace of Zanadu was held by Zaqaru, artfully restored to its prior status. As his entrance is announced, he carries a grin of confidence. “Lord Sinma Zaqaru, Discoverer of the Zanadu Gate.”

Enigma 7

Spoiler: House Starosta
    Show
    “I share your thoughts on the government of the Collective and the Infinite Republic.” Namzara Zaqaru nods, obviously happy to find somebody who thinks alike on the Collective. When the envoy speaks of the Collective under the old Emperor, he frowns. “A useful part? It still seems but a delay of the current situation. Would it not have been wiser to decrease their power over time instead of containment and usage?”

Spoiler: House Mertens
    Show
    Dear Duke Ewout Mertens,

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Yours sincerely,
    Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru

Show
    Dear Duchess Akachi Okeke,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will heed it.Accordingly, I see as option to either contact House Gadhavi, for they are a merchant House interested in the exotic, or hold an auction to sell it amongst the noble Houses, starting the bidding at [10 Trade]. In either case, the Nebula Hydra corpse would be sold in its entirety, with the gains divided amongst us.

Would you prefer selling to House Gadhavi or holding an action? In the case of an auction, do you wish to restrict it to certain parties?

Yours sincerely,
    Lady Sun

(OOC: As Tatarus/House of Steel aren’t officially announced nobles yet, this will exclude them.)

Spoiler: House Arnos
    Show
    Dear Duke Raudos Arnos,

As the Grand Conference of Hallow proceeds, I have been following its development. Your position seems to be shared with another noble holding presence in the Hallow Sector. Would you be willing to stand together on this matter?

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Other image host.

9. - Top - End - #309

RogueGuy

Zaqaru Ball
    Arnadred can't contain her smile. Her head pops up and she beams happiness at Aburnar. "You shot her! You defended me!" She turns back to the advisor on the ground and checks on her. "Filo thanks you. House Gilkara thanks you."

She stands and smiles at Aburnar."Aburnar Zaqaru, you have an exceptional mind. You are confident and kind. You approached me first and were receptive to my psychological imprints; you were not repulsed by my pheromones. That means there is a natural attraction between us." Arnadred watches him closely as she approaches. Her body shakes and she tries to push the smile from her face.

Arnadred slowly reaches out to stroke Aburnar's face. "She spoke truthfully. Though her meanings were twisted to drive you away. If you come back to Filo and join house Gilkara, you will never find a better lover. I will work relentlessly to please you and anticipate your needs in all things." Her eyes sparkle as she talks. She stares into Aburnar's.

She continues her explanations. "Filo will go to war if you ever attempt to make me a mistress. I can only assume that your intelligence is equal to that of mine, you are smart in the ways that only royalty can be. That's what she meant when she said I was smarter than them. Though, she is correct about the dangers. The court of House Gilkara is extremely taxing on the body and mind. Our house will also likely be at war soon." She looks away for a moment.

She looks back, pushing away her worries. "You will most likely be more in danger with me than here, safe in your court. But is that what you want? Or do you crave to leave your mark on this Universe? We can do great things together Aburnar, our children will do great things. Will you join me Aburnar?

An Arbiter carries the law of Filo in their word. They are carefully selected for the purpose of arranging any act of Filo's legal system and extend their specialty to House Gilkara when legal representation is required, such as treaties and agreements. This arbiter has a very important duty. As he makes his way to the entrance hall of the Zaqaru Ball, he comes across a familiar face. The woman in the red robe is a caretaker for the young noble that they escort. Or, the Noble that had forced them to come.

The arbiter bows before the entrance of the Zaqaru Ball. "I have been summoned by my lady. This one as well."

The caretaker nods. "It is of the utmost importance to our Lady that we are able to assist her." She bows as well.

Inside the duo watch Arnadred's advisors dance with children. The caretaker smirks, "It's one thing to respect the nobility, but do they really intend to wait until they are dismissed?" The Arbiter shakes his head in disbelief.

The two approach the mother of some of the children and the caretaker bows deeply before saying, "Excuse us, Noble Sili Zaqaru. We apologize for any disruption we may be causing in your enjoyment of the evening, but we have been tasked to discuss a topic concerning one of your children. It appears that they have been approved for a match with one of the future Gilkara rulers. I hope that this is pleasant news to you." She smiles warmly at the noble.

The black robed Arbiter takes over, "We would like to ask your permission for the match, though House Gilkara prefers that the individual be a willing and eager participant in the arrangement."

Bolkas grins.
    Show
    "If there's anything there. I have no Intel available on them. But I'd be willing to find out what they hold. "
    "For a price." Bolkas leans in and kisses Ayallal.

Bolkas breaks away from Ayallal when he notices that his hand glows red. He sighs. "Apologies love." His eyes roll back for a moment. When they flash back forward he laughs. "It appears that my presence will be requested tomorrow. That should be fun."
    Show
    "I've been tasked as well to make an arrangement with you. It appears Voss has offered an eligibility towards a defense pact that you have with them. We have followed through with our part for them. What would we need to do to enter this pact and what would it entail?"

The Grand Conference of Hallow
    Torbin Gilkara looks nonplussed at Persephone's responses. The only one he shows any inclination of pleasure for is the mention of attacking the collective.

"I've listened to your reasoning and your response to my requests. I am at odds. What exactly is the benefit to my house if you are found to be Queen? As the first to offer our servitude, there seems to be no difference between us and the other Houses. And now it appears that you don't even offer to settle disputes between the Houses you will rule over." He pauses before continuing. "I find this unacceptable. House Gilkara will withdraw their offer of fealty." Torbin sits down looking disgruntled. He mumbles, "There will be three other kings within the decade."

Spoiler: Alexander Laramy: PM
    Show
    "You are right about Arnos and Voss. Though I'm unsure about Vastadd. I've worked with her in a few instances. Her alignment with Greenflame could prove useful. Mertens will likely not lift a finger to assist your sister either. That leaves Berger. I figured if anyone was against you or your sister taking a throne, it would be Berger. His position surprises me. Still, your sister may displease some of the other Hallow houses as well.

Spoiler: Berger: PM
    Show
    ((ooc))This is Berger's speech discussing his reasoning for war.
    "It is not the noble's duty to protect their liege, but rather to protect the people and ensure the safety of the realm. Archduke Alexander has not done his duty, but rather sacrificed billions of lives in pursuit of his own power and glory. As such I reject these claims of House Greenflame and House Gilkara. If they truly wished to protect the crown they first have pledged loyalty to said crown, and second demanded a similar recompense as I have done."
    I was referring to his recompense((ooc)) hoping to get him in the same mind set that he had before I threatened him down.

Spoiler: Voss: PM
    Show
    "We don't mind looking indecisive. I honestly thought that Persephone was going to murder us all that first day. I am happy to stand with you. I have had pleasant, mostly pleasant dealings with Zaqaru as well. What else is needed of us to join?"

Spoiler: Arnos: PM
    Show
    "I see your point. I'd prefer you not recognize her, is there a way that can be arranged?

Spoiler: Mertens: PM
    Show
    "Would you settle on 8 trade with 13 return in 20 years?"

Spoiler: Exile's Consortium: PM Repost
    Show
    Bolkas sinks back into his chair. "You are right, but you are wrong also. The Imperial Decree given by our last Emperor specifically states that anyone is able to obtain these and gain the throne.
    'The Imperial College of Sciences have been given a list of the most vital threats to the Imperium's stability. Anyone who identifies such a threat and solves the issue will be rewarded an archon sphere containing one set of encryption algorithms for the Titanium Throne. In the truest sense the throne will go to the one who brings the most stability to the Imperium'.

So screw nobility, screw honor, screw lineage, and screw what anyone else thinks. With these, you unlock the Empire.

And you are right about security. It will be difficult, which is why I am approaching you. I see you as the only entity that might be able to pull this off. But I understand that you are busy. I feel like I'm always out of time."

He leans forward and shifts his hands around. "As for the spheres. I assume it would be even more difficult to find those, much less retrieve them. The list, that'd be easier. Which is another reason that I'm asking you. If you take a stone, and someone starts solving these issues, I'll know that they can't get all of them. Right?" Bolkas stands up. He puts his head in his hands and walks around for a few moments.

"I ask you not to undervalue the proper process for this. Even gaining one sphere publicly will show the other houses that you are worthy. That'll bring biscuits and knives. Other powers will see these as either a house that is fit to rule, or a nemesis trying to snatch power from them. Two particular people come to mind. Which ties into your final point. Your southern neighbors are likely to be called to war against your northern neighbors. I see a lot of problems for you if it comes to that. Choke points for the sector lie in your territory. If either side wants to cut the other out, taking your planets and blockading warp gates in your sector are the easiest ways to do that.

Then, there is the threat of a title going to Tartarus Steel. They'll be King and Queen in less than a decade if either makes Duke, which, played right, might get you a title, but at a cost. And if their ambitions expand, they'll bide their time and roll out into neighboring sectors. Again, you'll be the best defensive position for either side.

House Gilkara can help with this. Listen all you want to the networks or the fancy speeches, but if you will help us with this, we will provide support. We aren't the biggest fleet, sure, and we aren't the best agents, sure. But we are far from the worst and our council is molded to be assets for every situation. We can be by your side, whether you want it public or not, with a notable force.
    If it must be something in the future, then so be it. Our concern is that once things quiet down, security might go back up."

Bolkas shakes himself and sits back down. "If none of that sounds appealing, we can come to some arrangement to help you build one of those mobile colonies you have. We know they're ridiculously difficult to manufacture."

Spoiler: TRAM: PM
    Show
    ((ooc))Most of this is a repost, i am adding a request to greenflame((ooc)) "First, I propose that we keep this research agreement moving. It is our first intuition to ask that once all Archives have been copied, we move to another subject. Filo prefers people, warp gates, and technology in that order, but we are willing to listen to each of the other Houses needs.

Filo has made great strides in our ability to create efficient colonies efficiently. Along with our Technology Archive, the recent research has cut construction by twenty percent. We would be willing to provide this to this research team under the understanding that once we all have this ability, we will utilize it together.

We would like to propose to House Greenflame a trade. We are offering to build you a new Market site in a location of our choosing in the system of your choosing, providing it meets specific requirements, in exchange for ten units of Colony Optimization AI, ten units of Auto Cannons, and ten units of Fighter Forges.

((Added))"We request help with this in that Greenflame supply us with any and all survey data available on the Magnus system. If it is found suitable, the Market will be highly efficient.((Added))

To move in this direction, we would like to propose a treaty. We want to work with you all on the terms. With our construction efforts, we will put our word towards this. ((30 Prestige)). We will also open access to the blueprints that we have. These are Zaqaru Jewelry (Court), Fire Control (Navy), Starburst Auto Cannon (Navy), and Nano-Assemblers (Market). We ask for a defensive pact between us. And we will allow for coordinated offensive pacts. It is our vision that we will share resources to match each faction's interest while preserving the TRAM. We believe that this cohesive group can work together to create an unmatched force in the Empire.

I humbly await your feedback."
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2019-07-26 at 08:22 PM.
    Bastilonis

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Source: https://file.army/i/GsU7in

Zaqaru Ball

Show
    “I’d rather find out by taking them.. together with the fighters that took out the Gilkara capital ships.”

Ayallal whispers after the kiss, before they break away. Seeing his hand glow red, she frowns. When he then starts to talk, her stance shifts slightly, more neutral, more worn by the dancing. “Now that sounds more like Business to me.” She sighs a little. “Give me a last tango to enjoy the night and let’s leave Business Business for now. Please stay after the Zaqaru Ball and I’ll show Erit to you. That will give plenty of opportunity for business… and pleasure.” She beckons him. “But here’s a last bit of business before the dance.”

Show
    “Don’t become a vassal to House Laramy for starters. It’s a Defensive Pact against House Laramy, to strike back if they attack. But let business rest now and let the dance continue. I know loves places to visit in the coming days if you still want to talk business and pleasure.”

OOC: Also wanting to move to another scene so as to not make this one crazy time mess with the Grand Conference. The next scene can simply be in PM’s.

She then beckons him for a wild tango, giving her redhot energy in the intimate dance, before having to take a seat and regain her vigour.

When Arnadred reaches out to stroke Aburnar’s face, there’s an almost thoughtless reaction where he backs off. His warm smile has wavered and he looks at her, analyzing her. The words said by the white robed advisor woman have not been completely ignored.

Still, her sparkling eyes seem to draw him closer, leaning forward, before he takes a step back to listen. For a moment, the warm smile breaks to show a calculating look on his face. He looks at her again, the smile forming once more, even though he narrows his eyes.

“You flatter me, Arnadred Gilkara. I have no doubt you can fulfill my wishes, make my dreams reality. You’re beautiful, smart and will be well equipped to wield your future power. There is but one ever so nagging concern. You dodged my question. What are you after?”

Sili Zaqaru turns to the newcomers addressing her. “Good evening. Tell me, who do I have the honour of speaking to?” She looks at the Arbitrer and caretaker in red, enough to tell her they are from Filo. “Please formally tell me who the persons in question are. Regarding the willingness and eagerness of the participant, that’s something we’ll have to ask the person in question, won’t we?” She offers a polite smile.

Sili Zaqaru seems somewhat offbeat to the conversation. She’s eyeing the two cautiously, not so much out of wariness, but rather because she is a noble who has no love for being in the spotlights. The conversation is drawing some eyes already and while she’s strengthened by where they are, she still looks somewhat uncomfortable. Her eyes glance around she picks up a drink, trying to draw some comfort from it as she takes a drink.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Hallow Conference

The leadership of Tatarus rises up and smiles with delight at the insult from house Gilkara, "we laugh at your assumptions that you somehow have the right to make demands on behalf of renegade earls. They had no lawful right to act against to established houses. They moved against their betters and were soundly defeated in combat by the Duke of House of Steel." She turns to her husband delighted before returning her focus on the man. "Furthermore we find it hilarious that you openly reveal how craven an ally you are." She turns to the other Dukes. "He insults us for our lack of noble birth but reveals his noble upbringing amounts to nothing. The moment he disagrees with his queen he pulls fealty from her! How can you trust a man like this! Is man even a worthy title for one such as him? I ask you, are you going to allow house Gilkara to insult the throne of the queen? He even insults the traditions he was raised under. Many of you are siblings tied by ancient blood, If you view us as outsiders you should view this man as a shameful representation of what it means to be noble! The standard bearer for how not to represent your distinguished houses."

"Shame Torbin Gilkara Shame!"

Spoiler: House Mertens PM
    Show
    "My dearest duke, I wish to discuss the issue of fealty being sworn to our beloved queen. I know your house has been through much with the rise of our allies the exiles, your territory is much fewer than other noble houses and so we wish to offer aid. Should you swear allegiance to our new queen we will forge beneficial trade treatys with your duchy and aid you in any future expansion you choose to engage in... Lets say all that wonderful territory in house Gilkara for instance? The fleet of the house of Steel and Tatarus are both growing stronger every day. There is no internal issues within our territory we now have the most stable sector in the imperium... We want to extend that to the imperial sector."

Spoiler: House Berger 6
    Show

Noble house, your history and ours has long held great parallels. You have always thought outside the box and we in turn have always respected you for that. We would like to make overtures toward your house to join our queen Persephone. Duke Ernst Berger many of the existing dukes turned on you, and we were not in that number. An alliance as strong as Steel and Berger would be unquestioned through the galaxy and Persephone could easily bring peace to the sector... In turn Gilkaras rebellious nature may lead to an opportunity to flex that mighty fleet of yours. Now we would never ask you bend the knee for free. We would be happy to discuss financial aid and discuss a political alliance to ensure both our houses flourish during this uncertain time.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

12. - Top - End - #312

The Exiles' Conclave

Enigma 5

Spoiler: House Mertens
    Show
    Interesting. Do you have any other market equipment available at this same price?

Spoiler: House Gilkara PM
    Show
    "That is a wonderfully optimistic perspective, Bolkas. Regardless, even if I were to ascend to the throne, who would they name Emperor? I am unknown. I could be anyone under this mask. I might not even be a citizen of the Imperium. How likely are the nobles to follow a random masked stranger who calls themself "The Outsider?" Maybe a year, maybe a decade, or maybe some other amount of time, but chaos would inevitably return to the Imperium. Whether it would be nobles conspiring to end my reign or if it divides them politically, it is not a good endgame. I have no interest in thrones, in silly titles, in marriages, and lineages. These are all distractions from true power."

There is a brief pause.

"As for the matter of my neighbors, I appreciate your concern. Rest assured that things are going according to plan. If any house decides that taking Consortium systems would be in their interests, rest assured that their lapse of judgment will cost them dearly."

"We can assist you in your endeavor, however, we would require compensation. I had planned to send my agents elsewhere, and need something else to make it worthwhile to pursue this. Whether that is some sort of payment, a promise of favors, or a debt incurred... that is a matter of negotiation."
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

The Grand Conference of Hallow
    Queen Persephone nods at Duchess Miras words, and even some of the othe nobles look swayed, "And that is exactly why I did not offer you any special considerations Duke Gilkara. You made your oath and then withdrew your fealty all in the span of two days. If you words meant so little to you, then what should they mean to me, and why should I reward them."

"As to what benefit I offer it is the traditional one of liege and vassal for as long as the Imperium has stood. I would protect my vassals and they would offer their support in turn. In regards to why I would not interfere between my own vassals that is simply not the prerogative of the liege. If a ruler could interfere with every argument and ruling, then they would not be a monarch, but a dictator. And their vassals would rightly rebel."

In other news the discussions continue apace. Duke Mertens has added a maximum tribute of 20% to their demands. Duchess Vastadd is willing to settle for 25% and independent diplomacy. House Berger has made a surprise demand of one additional system to be added to his domain. Duchess Voss has made a firm declaration of independence. She is willing to acknowledge Persephone as queen, but not her liege, and has made a defense treaty with the Zaqaru Dynasty against House Laramy to that effect. Duke Arnos has become cagey and evasive about his current thoughts.

For her part Persephone Laramy seems to be more interested in finalizing her legitimacy and making allies than wringing the best deal possible out of her future subjects. Her diplomats are starting to hammer together agreements that mostly accommodate the requests of the Great Houses of the Hallow sector.

The Zaqaru Ball
    Menard Lacross shrugs, "There and other places. I have traveled through much of the Imperium and even beyond its borders. There are vast and terrible things in the darkness of the galaxy." He shakes his head, "But now is not the time for reminiscing. Not at such a fine ball as this. Will you give me this dance Lady Zaqaru." He extends his hand in invitation.

----

Liesse Voss laughs, "I search for a bit of fun, Lord Zaqaru. You should know as well as anyone what it is like to live in a house always at the brink of war. The tension, the careful plotting. It can be trying at times. But now is a chance for me to be at ease."

Zaqaru Dynasty
    Spoiler: House Starosta [Enigma: 4]
    Show
    "And what makes you think that isn't what happened. That it is a coincidence that they so explosively regained power as soon as the emperor died and the measures restricting the Imperium's citizens fell away. And at the same time that is their usage. The democratic collective is very good at getting all of their citizens to go put full effort into their endeavors. As I said they are useful when guided towards the Imperium's best interests."

"Not so much now when they are being directly pushed away from it."

Spoiler: House Okeke [Enigma: 5]
    Show
    "We would prefer to simply sell it to House Gadhavi."

Spoiler: House Arnos [Enigma: 5]
    Show
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru,

Perhaps, though I do not see that it would bring my house much benefit to do so.

Duke Raudos Arnos

Spoiler: House Voss [Enigma: 6]
    Show
    Duke Navuna Zaqaru,

House Gilkara also wishes to join our defensive pact. We are willing if you find this acceptable.

Duchess Brechtje Voss

House Laramy
    Show
    House Mertens has need of additional agents. If you lend us your support on this matter we are willing to swear fealty with no further conditions.

Spoiler: House Berger [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "I see House Voss have chosen the wrong side for once. Take my offer and allow me to wage war on them. That will show what happens to those who defy you, and satisfy my desire for additional holdings all at once."

House Gilkara
    Spoiler: Alexander Laramy [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "Let's get to the root of the issue then. We could likely gather enough support to make a play of it, but if this conference results in a continuation of the war rather than a resolution, then there will be no peace. My sister or I would have to die, and all their supporters with them."

"And I am not willing to commit to that without something more serious than words on your part. I've listened to you in the conference and I will need something more concrete. Will House Gilkara swear fealty to me and make a binding oath?"

Spoiler: Duke Berger [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    Duke Ernst Berger laughs, "You mean ask for another system. Haha why not."

Spoiler: Duchess Voss [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "We are in agreement. Simply contact Duke Zaqaru and get his agreement as well."

Spoiler: Duke Arnos [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "Simple, you know we wanted [-4, 3]. Simply transfer Earl Domingo's vassalage to me, and I am willing to refuse my support to Persephone."

Spoiler: Duke Mertens [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "That is an acceptable contract. I will agree to it."

House Gilkara and House Greenflame
    Spoiler: TRAM [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    House Starosta: We would prefer to finish the current agreement and evaluate its results before we make further negotiations.
    House Vastadd: We can agree to a further research agreement, but we prefer not to align our defensive pact with you while you are antagonizing House Laramy.

Tatarus
    Show
    "What terms do you envision for your trade deals?"

Spoiler: House Berger [Enigma: 5]
    Show
    "What aid are you offering? We would be more interested in the aid of your more elusive services than pure financial assets."

The Exiles' Consortium
    Show
    That is our flagship product, but we are also willing to offer our new line of Jarva Bulk Freighters and Kladith Logistics Nodes for the same price.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

“Certainly.” Eshkit Zaqaru takes Duke Menard Lacross and follows him in the dance. She lets him take the lead. As they dance, she studies him, her eyes following his scar, her face showing a look of concern.

She shakes her head. “My apologies, Duke. You’re right, I should not reminisce.” A smile breaks through. “Are there any scientific pursuits you are currently involved in? I have learned various sciences and given your own experience, I am full of curiosity.”

“I know the tension too well.” Sangezi Zaqaru nods before being spun around in the dance. “Then let us dance.” And so he does, following her every move, letting himself be guided over the dancefloor. As putty in her hands, he is an obedient and willing follower in his pace, offering a short bit of talk about their preferred music and dance style and kindly requesting a dance to her liking to played.

After another two dances, he carefully threads more serious territory again. “I sincerely hope you are at ease now, Lady Voss.”

Spoiler: House Gilkara (Enigma: PM)
    Show
    The window is large and looks out over the tall buildings, the people walking about, the vehicles moving through the streets. The tint of the glass betrays, obvious in intent, that it allows looking outside, but not inside. Within a tall flat, Ayallal Attar and Bolkas Gilkara meet once again. The room is grand, with statuettes, paintings, dark colours playing with another in the wall opposite to the window. There are several benches and suites to sit on, enjoy the view outside, eachother or have a more serious talk. Archways lead to other rooms, with a luxurious bath, a bedroom and an “art” room. The atmosphere is luxurious, comfortable, but also clean and a subtle hint in black and gray that this is a backroom door. The entrance here was inconspicuous and few would know that such a luxurious suite was here, set in an office flat. Yet this floor was reserved for this room, under a forgettable company’s name. Not that the two entered through the usual elevatar, but rather they arrived at a flying craft at the top and then taking a private elevator here.

Earl Ayallal Attar sits seductively on a sofa, looking at Bolkas Gilkara making himself comfortable. She looks amused. “I hope you enjoyed the flight. I told you I would show you the sights.”

“Thank you for our time at the Zaqaru Ball, I loved the dance.” She winks at him with a smirk.

“You wanted to talk business. An arrangement.” She leans against the sofa, analyzing him for a moment, before looking away with a sigh, raising her hand and looking at it idly.

“What will you do if you join the Defensive Pact against House Laramy?” She asks, her gaze slowly turning towards him as if she were a lazy cat.

Enigma 7

Show
    “I see your point.” Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru gives a short nod in acknowledgement before considering his next words. “Still, it seems like playing with fire, as evidenced by recent events. I doubt they will allow their power curtailed as before by diplomacy.”

Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru raises an eyebrow, steps a bit closer and asks: “What would House Starosta see done with the Collective in the time to come?”

Spoiler: House Gadhavi
    Show
    Dear Duke Gadhavi,

Proceeding you is your fame in trading the rare and exotic. Therefore, I wish to offer to sell you the corpse of a Nebula Hydra we have procured on our travels through the vast reaches of space on the Quest for Zanadu.

After a fierce and arduous battle where we staved off its star hot plasma breath, the Nebula Hydra knew defeat. This massive leviathan of rock and gas is sure to be of interest to alien collectors and researches of all that is alien. Its corpse outweighs a dreadnought and is ready to be transported to a buyer.

Should you be interested, my initial offer to sell the Nebula Hydra corpse to House Gadhavi is [20 Trade].

Yours sincerely,
    Lady Sun

Show
    Dear Duchess Akachi Okeke,

Alright. I have contacted House Gadhavi and will inform you when a deal is made.

Yours sincerely,
    Lady Sun

Show
    Dear Duke Raudos Arnos,

By standing together it will allow a stronger position to make demands. House Arnos and House Voss have both expressed an interest to remain independent from the Monarch of Hallow. With both Houses cooperating and supported by Zaqaru, weight will be given to this demand.

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Spoiler: House Voss
    Show
    Dear Duchess Brechtje Voss,

I am reluctant. The force of House Gilkara is a welcome addition, but Duke Torbin Gilkara has made himself a target by his behaviour. Tatarus has contacted House Berger, alluding to an opportunity to have them use their fleet against House Gilkara. What do you think on this matter?

In the mean time I have reached out to House Arnos to see if they are interested to stand together. If they are willing, would you be amenable to their addition to the defensive pact?

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Spoiler: House Vastadd
    Show
    At the Grand Conference of Hallow, Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru sends a message to the delegation of House Vastadd, with a request to talk to another noble diplomat. Assuming another diplomat arrives, he will formally handle introductions before starting the conversation.

“I have been watching the Grand Conference of Hallow from the observer seats. So far, I have seen Duchess Izabella Vastadd willing to negotiate for vassalage. I am curious, however. I am of the understanding fealty of House Vastadd to the Monarch of Hallow is an illegal act under the Second Treaty of Gert, or am I mistaken? Please add to my understanding of the situation.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Other image host.

15. - Top - End - #315

RogueGuy

Hallow Conference
    "No Tartarus, I will receive no shame from you. You have entered a sacred place in a sector that is not your own with war ships and armed guards. This conference was proposed as a conference of peace between the Houses of the Hallow sector and you have crossed from your sector and intruded upon us. This changes the dynamics of our gathering. I do not think for one second that anyone sees your presence here as anything but a threat to our lives. I have come with only two advisors. Lured under false pretenses. So, it's fine for you to call me craven when you have hundreds of troops outside.

As for insults, I have levied none against you. Your birth has very little to do with our attitude towards you."

"Crown princess, I offered my fealty. An unending force to draw all other houses back into the folds of House Laramy using words, economy, and lastly war. This was spoken under the assumption that your brother supported you before the conference. This turned out to not be so. Whether or not he will support you now makes no difference, your acceptance of my fealty was already based on falsehood.

Then the deal was altered. Instead of a full nation carrying out your will, you demanded a split to my Houses attention. A quota to pay. One day you accept my fealty, the next you change our agreement. I then asked for some common ground. Some demands to help ensure that Gilkara could continue to execute your will effectively. You denied all but one.

If our heirs are befriended to the other houses they might show mercy to traitors. Our ships were recently damaged and would be more effective if bolstered. Steel's fighters were very effective and would do well in any squadron. Keeping the Tatarus and Steele alliance from declaring kingship keeps them from growing strong enough to defy you before you reclaimed your birthright. Then you denied our pledge to put you on the throne of your father.

What choice do I have but to remove my fealty if you reject every point in it and the very point of it?"

Show
    "I'm looking at handing away a system and enough trade for half a decade to stop your sister. If I pledge fealty, you'll have to accept those two things as my first decade of tithe. Plus we'll be heading straight into a two versus three war against a house with double my military might. And you are equal against you sister. Then there are those pledging fealty now. I need you to stop that from happening. So, if I back you, do you think we stand a chance? Convince me."

Spoiler: Arnos:PM
    Show
    "I shouldn't be surprised that you ask such a price. But that is a valuable system and granting it to you only grants two systems against Persephone. If I give you that, I expect you to back me in a war. Well, not me, but the other Laramy."

Spoiler: Berger:PM
    Show
    "I'm going to offer 8 trade to have you declare yourself neutral. Don't back either Laramy. Hell, claim your bloodline and the throne for yourself.

Spoiler: Mertens: PM
    Show
    "It is a pleasure to do business with you, Duke Mertens. I hope we can do more in the future.

Show
    "I really want to be on this pact, but I have an opportunity to keep Persephone off the throne that I'd like to take. It unfortunately requires aligning myself with Alexander. He's threatened to back her if he lacks support, so I see this as the only way to keep her off the throne. If he has nothing up his sleeve, I'll be free of any pledge."

Spoiler: Exile's Consortium:PM
    Show
    "I'm glad that you are creating a stronghold. I wish my system was doing as well. With the disruptions, we won't be after the spheres.

We have a use for your agents, though. We are willing to outfit them all with the equipment that was acquired in our last venture provided you allow us access to the blueprints for that time. This in trade for either defense or the taking of an archive that we have an interest in. For an equal trade, we believe that it would grant us enough agents to be successful. We'll be deciding soon."

Spoiler: TRAM:PM
    Show
    "I'm glad to see that we all want to move forward. To that end, is there any Archive available that is only owned by one house? I have one such archive available and would like to copy one if it is available. We would also be happy to build our other archive for anyone in exchange for an equal number of agents.

As for the conference, I won't expect you to back me during something like that. Though with support from everyone here, we would feel confident enough to remain independent from the crown princess. We have a similar offer from Voss and Zaqaru.

What would either of you be interested in researching next?"

Show
    Bolkas frowns, "I honestly prefer to fly when on a ship, but it wasn't terrible. And it is a sight worth coming to see.

I am looking forward to discussing some business, and I wouldn't mind another twirl around the dancefloor." He winks and continues, "Gilkara would rather be unburdened by any other house. Fealty means that we have to get permission for everything, I don't like permission. Without oversight we would continue to grow and expand. Eventually we will come into conflict with our neighbors, each has their strengths and weaknesses that would need to be exploited as we continued to expand. But we are more interested in building. Our ability to create colonies is worth mentioning, and we hope that we can improve upon it."

"My cousins each have their own goals that they want to realize, some are doing better than others at getting their way." Bolkas walks across the room and sits beside Ayallal. "The question is, what does Zaqaru want Gilkara to do. We have a unique position to stop Persephone from gaining her queenship, but we expect outrage if we do that. We would have to back Alexander and there would be war. Not that war will be avoided in any other circumstances. Would you find it beneficial to stop this, or would we do better to just declare independence?"

Zaqaru Ball
    Arnadred puts her hand over her mouth and shakes her head. "No, no." She reaches out to grab Aburnar's hand and hold it close to her chest.

"I didn't mean to dodge your question. My motives for earlier should be straightforward and I hope that you'll see my reasoning behind my actions. I want a family. I want a family of my own. To be a mother and care for and raise my own children. My parents were taken from me when I was little, but no one can take anything away from me now. I will soon turn eighteen, and with that, I will become a Gilkara. I will be able to protect my children with the might of a nation."

She tries again to get close to Aburnar. "You have proven yourself to be a suitable mate Aburnar. Will you accept my proposal?"

When asked who they are, the Arbiter and the Caretaker look at each other with worried looks. They both kneel before Sili Zaqaru and the Arbiter speaks. "This one is called Sam, the one beside me is Sunny. If we have offended my lady we apologize. We received word that the Blood Maiden had found a suitable match. We believe that she will ask, if Aburnar does not ask first, for a marriage. It is our…" The caretaker in red places her hand on the arbiter.

"My lady, is there perhaps another place or time that you would prefer to discuss these matters? You must be busy with your children. Let us take our leave Arbiter." Sunny quickly senses discomfort in others and tries to assess the best way to handle the situation.
    Bastilonis

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Aburnar Zaqaru stands in the maze garden, looking at Arnadred Gilkara. As they stand amidst the many passages in the maze, the many pathways, routes and possibilities to follow, so too does he consider his own future and what paths lie before him. A thoughtful look on his face as he takes in the words spoken by Arnadred Gilkara, heir to House Gilkara. She is one of the paths and as he looks within, he finds his answer.

“Yes!” A warm smile breaks through as he grabs her hand and kisses her. “I accept, Arnadred.” He beckons her to move through that maze garden, off to the journey she spoke off, away from here and on to their shared future. Aburnar knows the way to suitable transportation, assuming they are not interrupted again. She will only need to indicate whether they are taking her own ride home or whether he should arrange accommodations.

Sili Zaqaru looks at the Arbiter and the Caretaker from Gilkara. She waves their apologies away and listens. Frowning for a moment, she then looks at the Caretoker placing a hand on the arbiter. Listening, she gives a short nod. “Please confirm the individual you refer to is willing and eager. Stay after the Zaqaru Ball at Erit and request a meeting with me.”

Spoiler: House Gilkara: PM
    Show
    Ayallal Attar grins as Bolkas Gilkars suggests another twirl around the dancefloor. She nods at his explanation of expansion. When he moves to sit beside her, she offers a welcoming and alluring smile. As he talks, she seems to consider his words for a moment. Then, her smile turns into a wide grin as she leans against him and with a tempting voice she offers her answer.

”Both.”

Enigma 7

Spoiler: House Gilkara
    Show
    A formal and polite request arrives from Sili Zaqara for more information about the name or title of Blood Maiden.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Other image host.

17. - Top - End - #317

RogueGuy

The Great Filter
    Anoa sets the helmet down and wipes the blood from her face. Her advisors press gauze over the wounds that she's dealt them. They remain silent; their faces don't show fear or anger, but worry. They look at each other and shake their heads.

"Again!" Anoa shouts and picks the helmet back up. As it slides around her head she can feel her senses leaving her body. The pain where her arms attach to their robotic counterparts slowly replaces itself with a different feeling. The cold of space, the heat of exhaust. All around her is emptiness and fleeting starlight. It is magnificent and terrifying all at the same instant.

Anoa pulls and pushes her arms, bends her back, twists her body, and manipulates her legs and slowly she feels the ship moving.

"That's thirty minutes." Space fades away to the interior of the ship. The research crew giddily writes notes and discuss movements.

Anoa sets the helmet down and wipes the blood from her face. Her advisors press gauze over the wounds that she's dealt them while trying to restrain her. They remain silent; their faces don't show fear or anger, but worry. They look at each other and shake their heads.

"Again!"

Spoiler: Zaqaru: Enigma 5
    Show
    "Ara, or Arna in this case, means blood in our pre space civilization language. Dred was the word for maiden. Thus Arnadred literally means blood maiden. Originally meant as a title for a woman who was carrying a bastard child for a ruler in our uncivilized days, the blood referenced now is that flowing of the original Empress Hallow. The maiden refers to a virgin girl.

Arnadred has the purest blood available in all of the Filo nation to claim any title of royalty. Despite the Noocracy recognizing no blood as royal, we maintained records and coerced certain civilians into marriages that would enhance the blood claims while keeping inbreeding to an acceptable level. Thus, Filo has documentation and testing results tracing and proving dna matches with the ancient rulers of the Hallow Empire. All of these will be made available through arbiters to anyone looking for or looked at for a mating by one that holds such lineage.

A Blood Maiden will only be declared if the successor to the Gilkara family is a girl who meets these requirements. A boy of such position would be called Arim.

A Blood heir may arrange any request or trial to be laid out for a potential mate. If they find the mate suitable, an observation left completely to their own discretion, then they may ask for or accept a hand in a marriage between themselves and the preferred mate.

We hope that this informational message is up to the standard that you expect in this request."

Undying Philosopher, Third of Title

Arnadred gasps when Aburnar pulls her into a kiss, and she returns it fiercely. She smiles embarrassingly and blushes when they break away.

"Thank you Aburnar!" She can't contain her excitement. The facade of a confident seductress has faded away to reveal a giddy girl. She firmly grasps Aburnar's hand and declares, "I can pilot fighters. We won't need to go far to get away. They'll expect us to take a larger ship. We can stow away, or commandeer anything we want." Her face lights up with thoughts of her own freedom.

"Let's visit the Sarahu Nebula. I can't think of anything more romantic than being trapped alone with you in the void of space with only stars and cosmic dust to light our view."

She walks closely beside Aburnar and leans into him with her arm wrapped around his waist for support. She happily says, "Valgret." Looking up into Aburnar's eyes she adds, "Or Valten. Would you prefer a girl or a boy?"

The caretaker smiles, "Yes Milady. Our ship will stay until Bolkas and Arnadred have finished their business or we receive word that they have made alternate arrangements."

The Arbiter shakes his head, but agrees, "We will reach back out to you after the ball My lady. If I may burden you for a request, the two advisors dancing with your children. If you would kindly dismiss them, they will not deny the children's request for fear of angering your house. We look forward to meeting you again in merriment."

The two stand and bow to leave. On their way out, they shoot disapproval to the two advisors pleading to the Zaqaru children to be dismissed.

Show
    Bolkas leans in and smells Ayallal's neck. "Careful, your ambition is exuding."

"Oh if we could. Unfortunately, Alexander has threatened to back Persephone if we don't swear fealty. That would give her enough support that only Berger's independence could stop her from claiming a majority of systems. We've reached out to him about that, but we might not be able to meet all of his demands if he considers the proposition. Zaqaru's help could go far in this matter."

Bolkas searches Ayallal, peering into her eyes for meaning. "What do you mean that we should do both? We can't support Alexander and not back him. This will cause her to try and end Alexander like we believe she ended Archduke Sebastian Laramy and Crown Princess Katherine Laramy. With his systems claimed, it would take even more to stop her. Not to mention the Tatarus Steel alliance that backs her. They Can help make swift work of a single faction standing against her."

"What are you proposing exactly?"

Spoiler: The Imperial College of Sciences: Enigma 5
    Show

"We formally request the list of threats against the Empire handed to you by the last Emperor Maximillian Laramy and all the data available on the Kisko Incident."
    Bastilonis

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Hallow Conference

"As our queen has stated, your word is not worth much Duke Gilkara and while you may not be insulting us we are most definitely insulting you. Your attempt to damage our houses for your military failures is an abysmal grab for power and we will not allow this insult to our queen or to us!"

Spoiler: House Mertens Enigma: PM
    Show

We have taken a great many colonies under our control as of late. We are swiftly becoming a much more valuable trading partner. We will be making moves to improve our trade immensely over the next few years. (1 trade for the next 4 turns?) Would that be acceptable to ensure your loyalty and have you join our cause, as well as whatever is being offered by our queen Persephone. We do remind you though my lord if you do not swear allegiance to our queen our ships MUST travel through your space to protect her. It might become necessary to ensure our ability to protect her through force. We are an ally of the Exiles and they have already promised we can pass our ships through their territory peacefully. We beg you accept this offer.

Spoiler: House Berger Enigma: 6
    Show
    By all means, we can guarentee you the aid of our agents for (3 missions up to 2 temp agency each time) that do not do harm to us, House of Steel, the exiles or Persephone Laramy in exchange for you swearing fealty to her as your queen.
    Last edited by kaio999; 2019-08-03 at 12:11 PM.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru Ball

Arnadred’s excitement is contagious to Aburnar and he smiles as she grabs his hand. As they enthusiastically move through the maze garden, Aburnar points the way ahead.

“The Sarahu Nebula is dangerous, though. Besides, weren’t you going to show me Filo?” Aburnar teases for a moment. “It does sound romantic. For cosmic dust you don’t need to go that far out, however. I know just the place to go, what do you say about the ice rings of Neveh or the asteroid belts of Natho?” He suggests as she leans into him and as she wraps her arm around him, he offers his arm around her.

“What about Sadita or Sabi? I prefer both a boy and a girl.” He offers with a happy look as he looks back in her eyes.

The two eventually make their way out of the maze on the far side of the entrance, where Aburnar leads them to the place where several land and air vehicles are parked. “We need to hurry. I can use these freely, but we’ll be traceable. If we can get to a workshop I know, we can obtain a Scout and fly in space. How’s that sound?”

At the Zaqaru Ball, two advisors are dismissed by children, after a long time of dancing with them. They are laughing, having thoroughly enjoyed the intermezzo.

Show
    Ayallal laughs at Bolkas’ warning, but her mirth ceases when Bolkas cuts down her suggestion by his words. She look serious as she listens. When he asks, she speaks to him.

“To go to war with Archduke Alexander Laramy against Crown Princess Persephone Laramy without offering fealty.”

Ayallal Attar stands up. “But he wants House Gilkara’s fealty, or else. Is his threat true or a mere bluff? I can only wonder.”

She crosses her arms over another, thinking for a moment. “I’m curious to know on what grounds you believe Crown Princess Persephone Laramy ended Prince Sebastian and Princess Katherine, though for this matter at hand it does not, well, matter. What matters is whether Archduke Alexander believes that.” She raises an eyebrow inquisitively, longing for an answer.

She moves closer to Bolkas Gilkara again, sitting once more and looking at him. “How afraid is he? How ambitious?” She grins. “Idle questions, which you may know more about and I do not.” She winks. “Would House Berger be willing to back Archduke Alexander Laramy without fealty? How would Archduke Alexander Laramy react if not asked? Are my questions idle, or inspirational?” Ayallal Attar laughs, toying with Bolkas Gilkara’s hair, leaning against him.

Enigma 7

Show
    An ornate thank you is sent back in appreciation of the reply sent.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-03 at 03:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320

RogueGuy

Hallow Conference
    Torbin frowns, "Again, I refrain from insulting anyone here. You seem to have some slight against me, and I do not understand it."

If those who are not from Hallow are going to be allowed to speak at this conference, then I invite Lyrae and Jinks to come to this conference. They've backed either faction of the Laramy House and should be here as well. And since you plan to assault my name, I will also invite Zaqaru, who I gave my oh so fragile words of support to, as well as Starosta and Greenflame. I'm sure that they will detest my nature and agree with you that I do not carry out my agreements.

Now, if this sounds odd to you, then you understand how I feel about you at this conference. It's an oddity. Again, I see no point in you being here unless you are a threat to be wielded. You can swear fealty anytime and at any place. Yet you chose to do it here. I find it hard to believe that the show of force was not planned to intimidate us.

It's a shame that Persephone has already let slip that if you came with your full force against any house swearing fealty to her, she would make no move to restrain you. Unless I'm not understanding that statement correctly."

Zaqaru Ball
    Show
    "I'm afraid we have no evidence, only speculation." Bolkas shakes his head.

"As for Berger, we'll see if he can be moved. We made him an offer and could use some backing towards that, as I'm sure he'll want a lot. Perhaps you could inform us of whatever Tatarus is talking with them about?

Alexander is hesitant. He's not wanting to jump in unless he has able support. I don't blame him. We aren't sure that independence would be wise without able support.

Your questions are far from idle. They're burning in my skull every minute. Only one thing I can think of could distract me in the slightest." Bolkas smiles at Ayallal as she lays against him.

"Sadita? What does that mean?" Her voice is dreamy. "Norastr, the Jewel of the Ice Rings. Azten, Son of the Asteroids." She leans upward to kiss Aburnar on the cheek.

She listens to him discuss their exit and exclaims, "I can pilot that. Would we need to get something larger to get to Filo? I know that you'll want to see Ordukr. The Gem Wall. A moon of vast, possibly unyielding resources. You could study it for the rest of time."
    Bastilonis

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

“I don’t know what Sadita means, I just think it’s a beautiful boy name.” Aburnar admits with a laugh and a blush after Arnadred’s kiss on the cheek. “What does Valrget or Valten mean?”

“We’d need something bigger to get to the Sarahu Nebula.” Aburnar offers with a smile. “To travel to Filo just needs stops along the way.”

Soon enough, the two are speeding through Erit, passing mansions of splendo into a district of tall offices until they arrive at an industrial district where they move a currently deserted workshop tucked away somewhere, alone in the dark of night. There is security equipment, but it recognises Aburnar and lets him through together with Arnadred. “It’s just a small workplace of another team. I’m sure they won’t mind if we borrow the Scout here.” He says with a grin as he leads her to a hanger showing a research scout of 11 meters long.

Inside, it’s snug and cozy, with only a pilot and a kind-of co-pilot seat. It’s obvious the second seat is meant for whoever is focusing on observation, analysis and research, instead of actual piloting. To this end there are additional interfaces for analysing scanner results around the seats. Behind the seats is a single bunk bed and various technological doodads and storage. It’s a Scout meant for longer away operations, being refitted here. Parts of the full scanning suite aren’t installed yet, but it’s operational enough for flight and as a Scout, possesses one of the fastest engines of the Zaqaru spaceships.

“Sorry for the small space, hope you don’t mind. This is not luxurious, but should prove effective enough. More comfortable than being a stowaway in any case.” He offers, giving a hopeful look that his improvisation to this situation is appreciated.

Show
    Ayallal laughs with a hackle in it, joyfully accepting his flattering words. She pokes his cheek, playfully distracting him further before planting a kiss.

“Seems like everybody is thinking independence is not wise without support. But few value independence well enough to actively seek out that support.” Ayallal nods to Bolkas, acknowledging him as one.

“And then there are those like Tatarus, who actively seek dependence, even in others. They have contacted House Berger, asking them to serve Crown Princess Persephone Laramy, while implying an opportunity to use their fleet against..” She jabs her pointy finger at Bolkas Gilkara’s chest. “House Gilkara.”

“They initially offered finances and a political alliance, but House Berger wants spies. Alright, they said ‘elusive services’, but we both know what that means.” She grins. “I want some of your personal elusive services too.” She says with innuendo being more than obvious from her tone.

With a soft cackle, she continues. “So Tatarus has offered [2 Agents] for up to 3 missions that will not harm them, Steel, the Exiles or Persephone Laramy in exchange for them swearing fealty to her. In the meantime, Tatarus is talking with House Mertens too, but that is a private meeting which I annoyingly can’t pry in.”

Moving back a bit, she taps her head. “I wonder what is going on in Duke Ernst Berger’s mind, though. There’s so many unknowns there. What does he truly want for his position in Hallow? How far does his ambition go? I can guess why he wants elusive services, though.”

Ayallal Attar looks at Bolkas Gilkara, observing him, mulling things over as she bites her lip. She then gives a sigh. “You know, I could get it asked, but perhaps it is better if you get House Gilkara to ask. House Gilkara already has a private meeting going on with House Voss.”

She holds out a hand, as if offering something. “House Voss still holds Anna Berger, sister of Duke Ernst Berger. If he gets hold of her, he would be more amenable to requests.” She moves her hand along Bolkas Gilkara’s cheek.

“Such as, for example, declaring independence and supporting Archduke Alexander Laramy for King in conquest over Crown Princess Persephone Laramy’s territory. Without asking Alexander, to call his bluff.” Ayallal Attar teases, stroking her fingers of Bolkas Gilkara. “Just an example, naturally.” She offers with a wide grin on her face.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Other image host.

22. - Top - End - #322

RogueGuy

"Valgret, Valten. Starchildren. Born of stars. Starborn. Valten for a boy, Valgret for a girl. Am I being silly?" Arnadred looks to Aburnar for an answer.

"We don't have to go to Sarahu. Well, we don't have to go yet. There are plenty of places to go." Arnadred soaks up the view of the city. It's tall offices and glimpse of normal life draw her gaze more than any mansion.

When they enter the workshop Arnadred seems amazed. "Do you mean stealing?" She teases and runs away towards the ship. She walks around it, tracing her hand along the outside. When she makes her way around she appears more confident. "If I had known that I was only getting this little thing, I should have…" She bursts into laughter before finishing the joke. "Show me the inside."

“Sorry for the small space, hope you don’t mind. This is not luxurious, but should prove effective enough. More comfortable than being a stowaway in any case.” He offers, giving a hopeful look that his improvisation to this situation is appreciated.
    Arnadred jumps at Aburnar and wraps her whole body around him. She plants kiss after kiss on him. "This. Is. Perfect." Her words barely come out. Slowly, she calms down and stands back on her own feet. "It's acceptable for now. I guess." She bites her lip and continues to stare at Aburnar. Finally she turns towards the pilot controls.

"Where do you want to be?" She asks, but her hands are already hovering over the steering controls.

Show
    Bolkas returns the kiss and runs his hands over Ayallal. He lets himself become distracted in the moment. After they stop he leans back and lets the ceiling overwhelm his vision. "Spies? Seekers of Secrets. I admit that I am looking forward to seeing some of your elusive services." Bolkas chuckles.

"We've offered Berger a literal ton of goods [eight trade] to remain neutral. I'm not sure how easy it would be to change his deal, but if we can approach him with the offer to turn his sister over to him… or, perhaps it should be Alexander that presents her to him. It may allow us to avoid swearing fealty to Alexander if we hand Lady Berger over to him, and thus giving him Berger's backing."

"A longer game might be to put Lady Berger back in her rightful place." Bolkas smiles, "It would disrupt our plan, but she would probably be a more stable ally. And she may feel that she owes us."

"I need to make a call." Bolkas gently moves around Ayallal and stands up. He opens a communication device and punches some numbers into it. His face lights up as it scans over him. A white robed figure is produced before him.

"Bolkas?" The figure asks.

"Reroute Echo Charlie Alpha to Berger and see if that helps sway him." He cuts the transmission before there is any response.

He turns back to Ayallal. "There's a lot of work to be done here. And I think that there is a discussion that we need to have. Gilkara will lay down every last resource for this venture. I appreciate the time we have spent together Ayallal, but I'm not so naive to think that your doing all this for love. I know I'm not that good." He smiles playfully.

"What is Zaqaru's reward here? What do you accomplish by helping us. And yes, we will take your help no matter what your answer." Bolkas sits back down, his face is serious, and his hand clamps roughly onto Ayallal's thigh. He stares at her, reading her, judging her.

Bolkas pulls her very close to him and maneuvers her leg around his waist. "Well," his demeanor shifts away from the serious tone. "I know what your reward will be." He licks his lips.

Show
    "I believe that I have misjudged what kind of agreement we need to forge. I know that you want independence, as do I. I've been threatened by Alexander that he'll back his sister if I don't swear fealty. I only see one way out of that. I would like to offer Lady Berger to Alexander, so that he can gain Lord Berger's support. I will enter a pact with you. Not a defensive pact, a full 100% throw down pact. Your enemies will be my enemies.

I will also pay you five trade for this, assuming that Berger isn't more easily swayed than I predict."

Show
    "I have heard that you prefer clandestine operatives over trade. I can grant you six such operatives for immediate use. Because F- that silked bitch. She came into your halls with soldiers uninvited. If that doesn't sound like an invasion then I don't know what does.

I'm also hoping that you'll find a way to back Alexander. I know, i'm changing my mind a lot. But i'm trying to update you as best I can. You really have the power here. Everyone knows that you are the key to this conference. What are you thinking?"
    [I am offering 6 agents instead of 8 trade]

Spoiler: Alexander Laramy:PM
    Show
    "I have a proposition in the works. I know that you want me to swear fealty, and you know that I'm doing everything I can to not swear fealty. What if I can get you Berger's support. Or, give you the key to Berger's support?

I'm in negotiations for Lady Berger. With her, and a little push from me, you should be able to get Berger's backing. I won't bother you with the amount of resources I'm throwing around to do this, but it is well beyond any tribute you'll see from anyone else.

And I don't think it's hard to see that Tartarus and Steel will be coming for me despite anything that happens here. So, you are my better ally. To be clear, I'll be fighting in this war no matter what. Everyone here knows that.

So, unless you are certain that your sister wasn't behind the Kisko Incident and you trust her enough to let her rule over you, I think we are bedfellows for the foreseeable future.
    Bastilonis

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

"Valgret, Valten. Starchildren. Born of stars. Starborn. Valten for a boy, Valgret for a girl. Am I being silly?" Arnadred looks to Aburnar for an answer.
    Aburnar laughs. “Not at all. I like the meaning, though the names sound foreign to me.” By the warm tone, he does not seem to really mind.

When they enter the workshop Arnadred seems amazed. "Do you mean stealing?" She teases and runs away towards the ship.
    “No, we’ll return it when we’re done with it.” Aburnar says, meaning it as Arnadred traces her hand along the frame of the Scout. Ofcourse, he’s leaving it ambiguous how long that actually is. Laughing at her joke, they go inside.

On the inside of the Scout vessel, Aburnar is thoroughly enjoying her reaction. She looks at the young woman with rainbow-coloured her, her enthusiasm and moving between “This. Is. Perfect.” to “It’s acceptable for now. I guess.” Aburnar can’t help but smile. When she turns to stare at him, he blushes.

Moving over to the co-pilot seat, he contemplates where he wants to be. “Out of the Dannu star cluster. Though it would mean skipping out on the ice rings of Neveh or the asteroid belts of Natho. We could go there first if you’d like, though. I would just like hover between the asteroids for a while with you, in either Calon or Eleud, before we move on.”

Show
    Ayallal Attar eagerly plays into Bolkas Gilkara’s affections before they return to the matters at hand and she lies on top of him, listening to the words coming out of his mouth.

She moves back when he makes the call and continues offering a listening ear. She laughs when Bolkas points out he’s not that good. She grins as she feels his hands touching her, his body close. She winks as he licks his lips. “Ooh, looking forward to it.” She says seductively, moving her finger over his mouth.

“I am the Grand Agent of Zaqaru, so besides my enjoyment of your company, which I do so very much enjoy. Mhmm.” She blows him a kiss in the air. “I take great pleasure in knowing I can make an impact from the shadows.” She looks him in the eyes. “The sexy shadows.”

“As for Zaqaru, helping House Gilkara prevents unworthy rulers from getting too much power. Zaqaru considers its only rightful liege to be the Emperor.”
    “When most of the Hallow nobles, as well as Tatarus and Steel, offer fealty to one of the Laramy siblings, the power base will allow them to look beyond the Hallow borders to intimidate others into vassalage or expand the Kingdom's territory by conquest. All while both siblings have been deemed too incompetent to actually hold the power of Emperor. If they had wished to truly prove their worth, they should be busy fulfilling the tasks required to claim the Titanium Throne.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Other image host.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Grand Conference of Hallow
    Queen Persephone gives Torbin a look of genuine surprise, "Do you truly not understand how fealty works. I know that your family had given up your positions for many years, but even so as part of the Imperium I had thought the knowledge of how the majority of it functioned would still remain."

"Perhaps there has been an egregious misunderstanding. Which is one reason I wished to ensure all heirs were educated to the same standard. The core of fealty is that the vassal agrees to give their liege a portion of their goods and fleets in return for protection from all outside aggression. There is some room for negotiation here, which is what we are doing now, but I know your own earls give you far more of a percentage than the tribute I am asking from you. By your own words would it not be better served to have them handle their own affairs?"

"I had thought my reasoning apparent in relation to your other demands, but in the spirit of reconciliation let me make them clear. The House of Steel has already pledged fealty to me. Why would I weaken my first supporters in order to aid you. At best the sum military available to me remains the same. At worst I would weaken their loyalty to me."

"Loyalty which in turn will grant me the Verdant Throne in five years time when I claim Queenship of Byvale. Thus also negating your second concern with them."

"As for the issue of the Titanium versus the Pale throne. The Titanium throne is on lockdown. No one can use it. No one can even approach it other than the Imperial council. Having you pledge fealty to me there would effectively be no pledge at all as while I do fully intend to be Empress even my best projections place my coronation as decades away. I do not want nor have I asked for your pledge there. I am succeeding the Pale throne, which was my father's throne even to his death."

“And truly I would not allow House Rosemerrow and Hollowhaven to raid my other vassals. Such infighting only weakens my position after all. This is why my terms include a requirement that all wars be authorized by me. You however specifically bear a grievance with them and so I would allow the war as part of your own terms. If you do not wish for a war, then I am willing to arbitrate your dispute if they agree. But my legal analysis is that they are in the right in relation to their wars in the Byvale Sector. The House of Steel declared it’s war legally and openly after all. If you wished to dispute them you should have done so at the time rather than after the fact.”

-----

Persephone is quite willing to accomodate outsiders. She sends invitations to the other noble houses to send their envoys. Of course many of which are already there.

House Starosta declines to commit to anything more than an observer role. House Jinks pushes to have their envoy heard before that of House Kelse and offers to swear fealty to House Laramy if the war with Kelse is ended in a white peace. The House Kelse envoy is of course outraged, but not to be outdone offers their own fealty to House Laramy on the condition that it isn't. The two envoys get into an argument that takes them out of the discussion for the rest of the day.

In a surprise move House Excagon's envoy is recognized and offers to swear fealty for her house in return for control of the Cordoba cluster, which of course would involve expelling the Collective presence. Though House Excagon isn’t picky about which sibling they serve.

Since the forum has been opened House Ytterbus takes the opportunity to ask for additional military support. Then the cyborg pulls the still arguing House Jinks and House Kelse representatives into a side room for a private discussion.

The Zaqaru Ball
    Duke Lacross smiles, "Unfortunately no. I wish I had time to pursue my own research, but running a duchy takes far too much of my time. You might be aware of my last project however. I believe Duke Sansone traded some of the new shields I was working on to Zaqaru after the war. Hopefully in the future I will have time to work on something more conducive to peace than war."

----

Liese grins and laughs, "Ah well I may never be fully at ease Lord Zaqaru, but it is nice to have some time away from the affairs of court. Sifting the words of the trustworthy from those of sycophants is a neverending task. What of you? What troubles do you normally face in Zaqaru space."

House Gilkara
    Spoiler: Alexander Laramy[Enigma: PM]
    Show
    Alexander is thoughtful, “If you can bring Lady Berger to me, then it would do much to secure House Berger’s allegiance. However have you truly considered what you are doing. Even if we acquire the support of House Berger, House Voss, House Zaqaru, your own house, and my forces. Then that puts us at best matching with my sister.”

“And then the civil war would continue for who knows how many more decades. Is that really what you want? I do not like my sister. I do not wish to pledge fealty to her. I have fought for twenty years to avoid doing so. But while she is vain and petty she is not a monster. She would not ask much of you. My sources indicate that she would not even force your fealty if you do not actively oppose her.”

“You ask about the Kisko incident, and I can see how you might. The details remain highly classified. But I can tell you with utmost certainty that it was not my sister’s fault. For we were both there when my father ordered it be done.”

Spoiler: Raunos Arnos [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    Duke Arnos laughs, "Oh yes, because of course if I wasn't willing to go to war with you alone for it, then obviously I'd be willing to go to war with Persephone and all her allies."

"It's a nice system, but not one worth fighting over. The system is worth the price of repudiating Persephone but no more. If you want me to fight Persephone you'll have to offer more than that."

Spoiler: Ernst Berger [Enigma: PM]
    Show
    "It's simple enough. The price of my fealty is one system and the backing of House Laramy in a war. That is what I told Persephone, and that is what I will tell you. Of course I have already made this offer to Persephone and she has indicated she will accept. So your bid must be higher. You can name another price, but I will settle for the aid of House Gilkar in my wars."

“On top of course of the agents you are agreeing to provide.”

Spoiler: “House Voss [Enigma: PM
    Show
    ”]"A full alliance is not necessary. Simply extending the defensive pact to encompass everyone who might attack is enough for us. All told we find those terms agreeable [5 Trade] for the custody of Lady Berger and a defensive pact."

Spoiler: “The Imperial College of Sciences [Enigma: 10
    Show
    ”]By the Hand of Emperor Maximilian Laramy these are the greatest threats to the Imperium.

1. The instability of the Imperium's own nobility must be solved. A solution must be found to prevent infighting among the Great Houses.
    2. Imperial deep probes have sighted a Jere'Jere horde forming close to Imperial space. There is still time before they arrive, perhaps much time. But defenses must be established before they arrive.
    3. There are three human polities of great power outside the Imperium that might be reasoned with, the Yuvan Kingdoms, the Infinite Republic, and the Freeholds. None are likely to make the first move, but all dislike our presence and would not hesitate to take advantage of our weakness. Steps must be taken to neutralize their threat.
    4. Both the Tractless Night and the Lost Stars are expanding. It is a slow expansion. However there are old records of systems that should have been stable, even entire Houses, within what are the modern borders of these regions. For the long term stability of the Imperium both these regions must be examined for their root cause.
    5. There is something indefinably wrong with the Luminous Ones. Cults have formed to worship them and agents sent to investigate have gone missing with worrying regularity. The Iron Church knows more, but they refuse to discuss their knowledge.

If you believe you have solved any of these items, then present your evidence to the college and we will feed the data into the Sigma Locus. Should it's projections agree that the issue has been resolved for the stability of the Imperium, then we will present you with the requisite Archon Sphere.

The Kisko incident refers to the Kisko system which lay in the Liness region. The details are classified, but it is public record that House Laramy sent a large task force to the region. And then the system simply vanished. The warp gate remained, but every subsequent explorer only found a vast expanse of void.

Grand Scholar Amra

Tatarus
    Spoiler: “House Mertens [Enigma: PM
    Show
    ”]"You need not be so forceful Lady Rosemerrow. I am already inclined to accept your deal. Indeed unless something surprising occurs I plan to do so."

Spoiler: “House Berger [Enigma: 5
    Show
    ”]"That is somewhat spread out. Not to impugn your agents skills, but I had something in mind that require a larger force all at once."

Zaqaru Dynasty
    Spoiler: “House Starosta [Enigma: 5
    Show
    ”]"Of course we'd like to see them contained. Remove their hold on Cordoba and moved back into their own cluster. But we aren't a military house and their current borders are acceptable. We aren't planning to commit to a military campaign to see it done unless the Collective gets greedy and pushes for even more territory. "

Spoiler: “House Vastadd [Enigma: 6
    Show
    ”]"That specific instance of vassalage rested on an illegal interpretation of the Laramy-Vastadd Treaty of 4091 based on the terms of the Second Treaty of Gert. However the Second Treaty of Gert does not stop all forms of vassalage. A properly written treaty taken it into account or even nullifying its terms would allow for the fealty of House Vastadd to House Laramy.

Spoiler: “House Voss [Enigma: 5
    Show
    ”]Dear Duke Nabuna Zaqaru,

House Gilkara is offering us very good terms for their inclusion. We would be pleased to allow them to join. In fact that they are offering a full defense pact, and we would extend that to the Zaqaru Dynasty if you are willing.

Duchess Brechtje Voss

Spoiler: “House Arnos [Enigma: 5
    Show
    ”]Duke Nabuna Zaqaru,

This looks less like standing together and more like you trying to form a block to fight Persephone. I don't have an issue with that. I don't care if House Laramy rises or falls. But I do care about what getting into a war would do to my own House. I told Torbin already and I'll tell you the same. If you want me to back your play you're going to need to make it worth my while.

And just saying you'll get me better terms means nothing when I've already got what I want from Persephone. That being the willingness to leave my assets in Hallow uncontested.

Duke Raunos Arnos

Spoiler: “House Gadhavi [Enigma: 5
    Show
    ”]Lady Sun,

A most impressive catch. I would be happy to purchase it from you. However without the opportunity to inspect how much battle damage it received and with no immediate buyer on hand I cannot match your price. What would you say to [10 Trade] on delivery.

Duke Gadhavi

House Mertens
    Spoiler: “House Laramy [Enigma: PM
    Show
    ”]"We are willing to commit to the resolution of one task, which must not take more than five years to complete."

House Berger
    Spoiler: “House Laramy [Enigma: PM
    Show
    ”]"I am not yet willing to commit to a war on House Voss. House Gilkara is becoming more of an impediment. Still I am willing to consider one or the other as you say."
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2019-08-06 at 10:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaqaru

Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru

Striding to the center of the Grand Conference of Hallow, walking alone as Zaqaru's envoy, Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru joins the other representatives. In the distance, the dragonfly drones of Earl Samsu Charcho record the Earl’s entrance, zooming in for a moment on his fine clothes and jewellery.

With grace and sense of etiquette, Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru acknowledges the Dukes of Hallow in accord to his own lesser station as Earl. Closing his eyes to show a deeper personal respect to Duke Ewout Mertens, he adds greater politeness to Duchess Brechtje Voss to signify the Voss-Zaqaru defensive pact and stays a beat longer at Duke Raudos Arnos due to the marriage ties. Showing elaborate formality towards Duke Ernst Berger, he honours him as organizer, after which he shows regard to his wife Duchess Litte Zaqaru. Diplomat Namaza Zaqaru gives the envoys the proper greeting, while the representatives of Tatarus and the House of Steel receive just enough attention to affirm them as a representative of an organisation and admiral respectively.

Moving to the Laramy siblings, he shows respect to Crown Princess Persephone Laramy first, offering the required acknowledgement in etiquette one would do to a Duchess and Royal Princess. “Thank you for inviting a representation of Zaqaru to the Grand Conference of Hallow, Your Royal Highness.” Had he acknowledged her as Queen, he would have said ‘Your Majesty’.

Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru waits until etiquette permits to step towards Archduke Alexander Laramy, offering the same acknowledgement he gave to his sister. “Your Royal Highness, I know I have been invited outside your wish, therefore I would like to confirm my presence here pleases you.” Treating the two siblings equal and asking implicit permission from Archduke Alexander Laramy to be here, it’s abundantly clear that Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru is not acknowledging Crown Princess Persephone Laramy’s earlier proclamation, though he’s sticking otherwise to etiquette.

Eshkit Zaqaru nods. “I do know of the shields, they are reliable and effective, I applaud you, Duke.” She smiles. “I certainly would like to see what you might be able to achieve in the future. If running a Duchy takes so much time, perhaps you could use somebody by your side to support you?” She leans towards him, watching him with interest as her offer has obvious implications.

Sangezi Zaqaru smiles kindly as he hears her speak it is nice to spend some time away from courtly affairs. “Criminals, thieves, self-styled pirates, frauds. Every day of work I see troubles, large and small, from petty vandalism to theft. I find it unfathomable how much society works better when patrols and security are increased. But I know that my own vigilance is of assistance and find myself at ease knowing I am helping others.” There’s a somewhat pained looked before he steels himself and shows a straight spine, a disciplined outlook and a well trained body.

“In that sense, I am further away from the courts then you are. Though I at times envy what could be done there, to bring safety to us all.” His serious expression then shifts as he looks at Lady Liese Voss. “My apologies, I should not have gone into such serious subjects, you are here to relax after all.”

Enigma 7

Show
    “Understandable. Should the Collective become more greedy, may I contact you on this matter in the future should the Collective push out further?”

Spoiler: House Vastadd
    Show
    “Thank you for adding to my understanding regarding the Treaty of Gelt.” Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru responds. “You are accommodating in my request and I hope I might raise another question.”

“Previously, my Duke has contacted Duchess Izabella Vastadd. I was given to believe House Vastadd did not desire to stand together for independence to reduce the potential for being drawn into conflict, while already having the backing of House Greenflame thereby negating the need to stand together.”

“Given such backing, swearing fealty for protection seems unnecessary, but that is what the current negotiations seem to be moving towards. With such a move, I believe you may be able to see threats I am missing, therefore I would like to inquire what threats would cause this act, for that may very well be of importance to others.”

Spoiler: House Voss
    Show
    Dear Duchess Brechtje Voss,

Thank you for informing me House Gilkara is offering a full defensive pact. Should this entail a pact to come to one other’s defense when attacked by any threat, it sounds very much like an alliance to me. Know that Zaqaru only considers such intimate agreement when proper marriage ties are present. These are not present between House Voss and Zaqaru. Unless that is what you are currently proposing should be arranged?

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Show
    Dear Duke Raudos Arnos,

Your concerns regarding war involving your House are understandable. I am offering a chance to stand together to give weight to the demand to remain independent and protection should the demand be denied. If you believe that your voice already carries enough weight alone to remain independent, then I can see why this offer holds little value to you.

Regarding the formation of a block, I fail to see how a defensive pact looks like an active attempt to fight. I do not know what Duke Torbin Gilkara has been telling you, but I’ll be sure to inform.

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Show
    Dear Duke Torbin Gilkara,

It is my understand you have offered a full defensive pact towards House Voss, which Duchess Brechtje Voss is willing to extend to Zaqaru. Know that a full defensive pact is much like an alliance to me and Zaqaru only considers such intimate agreements when proper marriage ties are present.

Beyond this matter, I wish to inform about what you have been talking about with Duke Raudos Arnos. He seems to be of the impression we are forming a block to fight Crown Princess Persephone Laramy. While he is willing to join if it’s worthwhile, I would like to know what gave him that impression in the first place. Could you enlighten me?

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Spoiler: House Gadhavi
    Show
    Dear Duke Gadhavi,

I understand your situation and am happy to know you are interested in the purchase. Could you inform me what you would need for an inspection?

Should the inspection take [1 Turn], I would prefer not to wait and am willing to lower the price to [17 Trade].

Yours sincerely,
    Lady Sun
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Other image host.

26. - Top - End - #326

PaladinGuy

House Greenflame

Enigma 6

Records of the final stages of the Yarro initiative
    “We are so close Farid, I just need a little more funding, fifty, maybe sixty billion Samarcrowns.”

“Dr. Yarro that is hardly what I would call a little more funding, I understand that your pet project here is nearing completion, but you are asking a great deal indeed. I cannot authorize such an expense right now.”

“Farid I know it seems like a lot, but just think of the benefits in the long run, we could be adding that to our YEARLY income if this succeeds.”

“That is a heavy if Doctor, if you fail then I could also see a hundred of our finest minds catatonic from this project.”

“We won’t fail my friend, I’ve checked the math a thousand times, the quantum mechanics will mesh.”

“If I could sigh over text I would. Viv, I know this is your passion, I know you’ve spent your life on this work, but that money could save millions of lives elsewhere.”

“Farid, with that funding I could save billions. It would put you on level with the rest of the Imperium combined!”

“Now you sound like Dr. Saulker, maybe you should take a year or two off Viv, you’ve been spreading yourself too thin for two decades now. Wasn’t your hundredth birthday last month?”

“Yes it was, and I note that you forgot. I recognize the penmanship of Kenton, your secretary is not nearly so poetic in his card writing.”

“Heh, sorry Viv, you know how busy I have been.”

“I know Saquar, I know. I can’t take a break now though, I’m so close, give it a decade and I’ll have everything ready. But I need that funding.”

“Well it is far too much for a fundraiser dinner. That is state level to be sure. I’m sorry Viv, its too much.”

“Damnit Farid, I just…”

“Viv I’m sorry.”

“I just... No. I’ll find a way, just you wait.”

TRAM
    Spoiler
    Show
    My next preferred area of interest would be technology, though warpgates and people are also of interest of course. As to a defensive alliance I agree with Vastadd, with the danger of one of our number aligning against the Laramys or some other particularly tough threat, I think a defensive alliance would put TRAM at risk of falling apart to rival political views. Though in the long term once the Hallow conference is over perhaps it would be a good idea to revisit the topic.

As to the colony building deal, I believe I can pitch in to reduce the cost with my own archives, reducing the cost to slightly less than [5 trade], so I will counter offer [10 fighter forges, 10 colony optimizer AI, 5 radiant shields]. Would this counter proposal be agreeable to you?

Players

The Exiles Consortium
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for your time.

We are looking to take a loan of [4 trade], to be paid back over the next 10 years at [3 trade/turn] for a total return of [6 trade].

Dr. Vivian Yarro

House Zaqaru
    Spoiler
    Show
    I fully intend to continue working against the Collective, but the situation remains very delicate. I think you severely underestimate the scale of the Infinite Republic, but perhaps you are right, and an immediete strike would have been the better option. We cannot know now, but we can look to a better future.

Duke Farid Saquar
    Master of the Grand Marquis

NPCs

The Freehold PM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farid Arrives on the Measured Response along with a few political advisors and a Scion, once the group is set for the conference, Farid will begin.

“Leaders of the Freehold Worlds, thank you for seeing me. I’ll commence with the discussions momentarily, but first, please let us introduce ourselves. I am Farid Saquar, while I have never been a leader of House Greenflame while our nations were at war, I know my House has been responsible for much tragedy for the Freeholds, I hope to end that legacy with our meeting. This is Freed Baslor, a friend and political advisor, and my young friend here is Yeleesha Nal, a protege from SamU.”

Farid awaits introductions from the otherside of the table, letting Yeleesha keep a private discussion of thoughts between the three of them.

27. - Top - End - #327

RogueGuy

Show
    "Very well. It is with great pride that we swear that we will defend you from attackers. We will take Lady Berger into custody."

((20 prestige and 5 trade))

Spoiler: Arnos: PM
    Show
    "I understand your position. Support her if you wish."

Show
    "You may call on us during a time of war, but we will judge the reason behind it. It has been decided that we will not be fighting Persephone's title. Take them for all their worth."

Show
    "It is then, with a heavy heart that I wish you the best, Alexander. If you find need, feel free to call upon us and we will do what we can to help. You have wisdom in these words and I have not forgotten what you have done to bring reason back to me. I saw only the taking of power and reacted to it. I wish you the best of luck."

Show
    Bolkas stands up. "Gilkara would be alone in this fight. None of the others are prepared to fight this war. And it would be a war for a long time. All to put someone else on the throne at best, and to be wiped out at worst."

Bolkas looks through the window."Perhaps we should stick to the shadows for now. There are things that we want to look into. Ytterbus speaks of something. We hope to test our ships before turning back to Hallow. I hope that you will still be eager to carry out our mission. We also hope to our ships, with your help."

Spoiler: Zaqaru Enigma:5
    Show
    Dearest Duke Nabuna Zaqaru,

We have turned all thoughts away from forming any offensive pact. We have thoroughly tested the waters and find no substantial reasoning behind the expenses necessary to back someone who does not wish to continue the disruption of the Empire.

To the first matter, there is a suitable candidate at the ball now. If it needs to happen, we can arrange a betrothal, but I know that she will prefer to choose her own partner. Nevertheless, I shall inform an Arbiter to make arrangements.

Humbly, Torbin Gilkara

Spoiler: Tram: PM
    Show
    We find this acceptable Duke Greenflame. Please allow us to inspect the system that you wish to be considered for building.

We will continue to copy our next archive and look forward to revisiting these subjects again. Hopefully it will not be under such stressful scenarios.

Space
    Arnadred manoeuvres the scout as best she can. The controls are different and unfamiliar, but she is happy flying towards her own freedom. "Set a course to whichever we can get to faster." She blushes and focuses on piloting.

"Are… are you. Nevermind."

The Arbiter waits. They had waited until orders came in that an arrangement was to be made. Now, it was time to call on Sili Zaqaru. Bolkas had vanished and they had lost Arnadred somehow. "Was this all a ploy?"

The Sunny's voice was cool. "If it was, Bolkas would have come back. We would have received some message from him that she is okay or not. It's likely that she's a little girl with no respect for anything."

The words aren't pleasing to Sam. The red in Sunny's robes look like an imposing uniform. Which raised the question, how did his look?

They arrive at the gate and Sam speaks. He pulls his black hood down to show more of his face. "I am an Arbiter of Gilkara, here to call upon Sili Zaqaru. We are to discuss a marriage arrangement between one Aburnar Zaqaru and the blood maiden of Filo, Arnadred Gilkara, First of her title."

Hallow Conference
    Torbin takes time before returning to speak at the conference.

"My fellow nobles,

It is after much internal debate that House Gilkara declares itself to remain independent from the Throne of Hallow. We offer this truce to the throne; House Gilkara will not work to undermine the power of the Hallow Throne. We will offer support against dangers to the Imperium, and continue open trade with those who swear fealty.

For this, we expect non aggression from the Throne and its vassals, maintaining open trade with our House and Nation, and an effort to quell infighting in all parts of the Imperium, specifically without the use of war.

We will also join with house Voss in a defensive pact."
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2019-08-07 at 01:26 PM.
    Bastilonis

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

“Certainly.” Aburnar takes place at the co-pilot seat and soon enough has charted a course towards an asteroid field in Calon. “I am your navigator.” He says with a teasing smile, finishing her sentence, as he looks at Arnadred and sees how she adapts to the controls well enough, the two of them soon blasting off from the workshop through the atmosphere and in space at bristling speeds.

As they ascend, Aburnar is clearly enjoying himself, relaxing in a deep sense as they leave behind all others, all threats, worries and concerns for now. He looks at Arnadred again, with an impressed expression. He seems to be totally fine of being in what effectively amounts to the passengers seat at this point, letting her fly the spaceship. As he rests at his seat, calm and watching the star filled view, he gratefully says: “Thank you, Arnadred.”

The Arbiter and Sunny are welcomed in by officials, offered a moment’s of rest, a drink, in the waiting room for quite some time before being called and brought to a lavish meeting room. Despite grandour in appearance, it is likely not even the most lavish one they have, but precious materials are a clear theme here as well. Sili Zaqaru receives them, together with a man who is introduced as her husband, yet it is clear she is going to be the one they are to address. After introductions and pleasantries, they are to speak of the matter at hand.

Enigma 7

Show
    Sili Zaqaru speaks formally. She does not seem comfortable speaking, giving rise to a more formal approach. “Arbiter of Gilkara, I acknowledge your presence and wish to speak in regards to a marriage arrangement between my son, Aburnar Zaqaru, and the heir of House Gilkara, Arnadred Gilkara. At the Zaqaru Ball, you have asked for my blessing, which you are seeking out now. I cannot do so, as Aburnar Zaqaru has left Erit.”

Show

Lady Arnadred Gilkara is free to make her own choice in the matter, I sought to inform you which condition would need to apply before I consider an alliance.

While you may have turned your thoughts away from an offensive pact, I would still like to know what would have given House Arnos the opposite impression, if you are willing to share.

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Spoiler: House Greenflame
    Show
    Dear Duke Farid Saquar Greenflame,

There is nothing delicate about the threat of the Collective Fleet with the Revolution against the very Capital of the Imperium. Nor the willingness of the Excagon Family to offer their support at the Grand Conference of Hallow in return for control of the Cordoba Cluster, necessitating the removal of the Collective.

Why were you willing to defend the supposed Crown systems from House Berger when, so far, you are unwilling to defend the capital itself from the greatest enemy of the Imperium within its space?

Yours sincerely,
    Diplomat Namzara Zaqaru

PM

Show
    Ayallal Attar returns after a short break to refresh herself. She listens to Bolkas Gilkara seriously.

“Are they not prepared for war?” She shows a wicked grin, moving towards Bolkas Gilkara. “You’re wrong.” She starts to massage his shoulders. “They’re prepared. Just unwilling. At the moment.”

“So many, so unwilling. It’s so difficult to guess what will they desire, what will move them, but you know more.” She massages his head. “I’d love to pick your brain on the matter. Whatever has House Gilkara been whispering in the shadows, in the dark?” There’s a delicious grin on her face.

“I’m eager alright.” She wraps her arms around him. “For you.” She smiles and lets her hands wander.

“To only put someone else on the throne? That’s not the best scenario. No, you need to think greater. Far greater.” She starts to laugh wickedly and reaches besides him, flicking on a hologram for a brief moment. It displays the Imperial Sector. With notable differences.

The hologram swiftly dissipates. “To get House Berger and House Voss working together by using Anna Berger, to offer House Arnos the price they seek, to have House Berger claim his right by lineage and bid for the Pale Throne to topple Persephone’s plans and have all declarations of fealty mean nothing.”

She bites her lip in glee. “And what’s next?” Three more flicks, three more brief holograms.

“Whatever you desire.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 09:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329

RogueGuy

Arnadred turns her head to look at Aburnar, "Thank me for what?" She seems distracted. After a while she turns from the controls.

"I mean, you're welcome. I don't know what you expected when you asked me to dance, but I'm glad that you did." The cold from the ship is slowly starting to creep through her thin dress and she shivers.

"I… are there any flights suits on this ship." She giggles, "this dress doesn't trap heat well." Arnadred stands up and moves towards the bunks, searching the storage.

Spoiler: Zaqaru: Enigma 5
    Show
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru,

During our discussions, we responded to a requested price. That price was too high for the intended response. We let it be known that we would expect support should a war break out for the requested price.

Those negotiations have been stopped currently.

Duke Torbin Gilkara

Dear Sili Zaqaru,

We understand your position, though we must press on the issue. Do you have indications as to where Aburnar Zaqaru may be or was headed?

We have lost contact with our Arnadred Gilkara. The last advisor that saw her claims to have been shot by the before mentioned Aburnar.

House Gilkara, Arbiter of Bolkas

Show
    Bolkas stares at the holograms. "Even showing me this breaks the word of Torbin. What you suggest is a terrifying reality. To destroy the Noble house that has reigned for over two centuries… is the most noble thing that I can imagine."

"I need to know that you would back this. And what you would want in return. Our resources will be made thin in this strategy, and we will need all the other houses to help support us. It also puts us in danger if anyone catches wind of this. Give me your word that you can support us and I'll draw up the attack plans.
    Bastilonis

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

“There are flight suits over there.” Aburnar points to one of the lockers, while keeping his eye on the spaceship flying. In space, there’s little to disrupt the flight, but it also allows her the opportunity to switch clothes.

In a locker there is the option between a set of more ordinary clothes, practical and scientific orientated, a flight suit and a spacesuit.
    When she returns and is seated, Aburnar looks at her, to admire her in her new clothes, after which he continues the conversation. “I want to thank you for inviting me to go to Filo, Arnadred. The past hour has been more exciting than the past months, your enthusiasm is infectious and I greatly admire your initiative. I could not have expected this when I asked you to dance. And look at us now, in space, a moment without worries, tucked away to the future, just being able to enjoy the star filled view. It’s wonderful, though the greatest star sits besides me.” He offers her a warm smile. Though a look of concern sets on his face if she still seems signs of distraction.

Show
    Ayallal Attar hears Bolkas Gilkara state how it is the most noble thing he can imagine and she laughs, with a hackle and joy. When he continues, she switches in a flash to a serious look, but there’s a sparkle in her eyes as she looks at him. A personal attraction, a lust for him.

“I cannot give you my word. Not yet.” Ayallal Attar says plainly. “I am the Grand Agent of Zaqaru and even I would have to convince my liege. The plan is too fragile at the moment to give full support.”

She leans against him and kisses him on his cheek. “But I love you’re considering it.” She points to the skies above, as if pointing out the other Houses. “There’s several unknowns which must be found out.”

“As for what I want in return. You.” She jabs in his chest and then laughs again, this time ever so teasingly, jokingly. “I suppose you mean what would Zaqaru want in return. Glory. Prestige. A lot of it. A lot. In whatever way.” She looks at him, to see if he gets why and shows willingness to explain further.

“Now, those unknowns.” She lets her finger dance in the air, as if writing it out.

“House Berger. It all hinges on Duke Ernst Berger throwing in a lineage claim and joining the succession war of House Laramy. That way, House Laramy will not be able to get support out of vassalage from other Dukes, as the Monarch title remains contested. None of his support will want to become his vassal if he claims the title, however. Will he accept that?”

“For sure, He won’t act without support. Will Duchess Brechtje Voss be willing to cooperate with Duke Ernst Berger? They have waged war on eachother in the past. I hope Anna Berger will be sufficient to get Duke Ernst Berger to cooperate, but I am unsure of Duchess Brechtje Voss willingness to cooperate or go on the offensive. House Voss is not a military House, but it would be a great opportunity and would ensure House Berger to not attack them in the meantime.”

“To that end, I wonder if House Voss and Zaqaru will forge marriage ties. Something which we will know in the time to come.”

“With those unknowns tackled, the glory of battle, if sufficient, will be able to draw out Zaqaru.”

“A lesser unknown is whether Duke Raudos Arnos will find the bounty sufficient. I believe they would be willing to join a fight, if so. It would also allow him to move closer to his merchant rival, House Mertens.”

“You’re right this is dangerous. That’s why care must be taken. Without House Berger willing to move, there is no sense in contacting House Arnos, for example. And there is no guarantee others will stay out of such a fight. A gamble, a risk, but what a price.” A wicked grin displays on Ayallal Attar’s face.

Enigma 7

Show

Thank you for the explanation, I now better understand where the reaction is coming from.

Yours sincerely,
    Duke Nabuna Zaqaru

Show
    Sili Zaqaru looks at the Arbiter with a frown. “You lost contact with Arnadred Gilkara? You have come here to arrange a marriage contract for two persons, but know not where they are?” Sili Zaqaru’s looks becomes downright incredulous. “You’re joking, right?” She asks honestly, obviously finding this hard to believe.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-08-18 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Other image host.