The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 314
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blessed Perfection
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There was the entire storyline of a Wildboar getting into mopperville and becoming a problem with Grace and Raven trying to capture it before it could be killed because they disliked that killing it was the only option being considered(grace) or sympathized with it as a fellow being with nowhere to truly belong(Raven.)
    I know, it just seemed very out of nowhere, even with that context.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs



    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Didn't surprise me, as the Facebook group was full of 30-50 hog memes combined with Death Sentence references for the entirety of that meme's lifespan.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-09-11 at 10:16 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blessed Perfection
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Didn't surprise me, as the Facebook group was full of 30-50 hog memes combined with Death Sentence references for the entirety of that meme's lifespan.
    That's fair, this is the only interaction I have with the comic's fandom for multiple reasons.
    Mystic Unity by DirtyTabs



    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    ...yeah, I'm basically gonna use you as my example to explain how White, as a color of magic, can represent pure evil. =P
    My extended Homebrew Signature
    My Monster Classes. Taking requests! Come give it a look.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    The main comic is full of adorable, and the NP strip is full of hilarious Susan-ness. One of the better update days.

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mucat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    The main comic is full of adorable
    She was such a good squirrel!

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Believe it or not, I didn't see that one coming.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Believe it or not, I didn't see that one coming.
    Neither did I, but in a way, everything Grace was going through lately was building up exactly to this kind of development.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lamech's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    That's what a critical failure on an infosec roll looks like kids.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DeTess's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    That's what a critical failure on an infosec roll looks like kids.
    The only reason grace was told to not tell Ashley was because Edward feared all the revelations and new stuff would just be too much for her to process at once, so in that regard, no real harm done :P
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gez's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    http://egscomics.com/comic/party-037

    Grace got one prediction half-right, she did get Ashley to comment on squirrels.

    Also: such a good squirrel. I've seen the movie, long ago as a child, and I had since either completely forgotten about that scene or it was cut from the version I saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    You know, I was expecting this exact thing to happen ever since Susan said she wasn't going to the party.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Apologies for the double post.

    So I'm now expecting that when this inevitably devolves into a polyamorous romance, there's probably gonna be a line between Grace and Ashley on the shipping chart.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-10-01 at 11:41 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    County Whatcom
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Apologies for the double post.

    So I'm now expecting that when this inevitably devolves into a polyamorous romance, there's probably gonna be a line between Grace and Ashley on the shipping chart.
    Inevitable?
    I admire this confidence! I always thought it was an impossible dream that E.G.S would devolve into mass polyamory :)
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

    There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    I like that Grace is thinking more or less the same thing I thought when Ashley said that about being confident.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Spoiler: toady's comic
    Show
    I'm guessing Nanase isn't aware of how hyper-seductive she seems to be, and that such seeming is why Ashley is reluctant. Which seems fitting with what Grace noted int he link Dan made in the comments.

    I find it hard to imagine that Nanase isn't aware of how she seems... but such appears likely as I doubt she'd be intending to act thus and, as noted with Grace, she thinks it's more cool than sexy.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Has anyone else noticed that the ads are getting steadily more prevalent these past few months or so? I can barely click on the page without opening some kind of popup these days, and I think today was the first time I saw an ad taking up the entirety of the site's background behind the main comic.

    I'm not sure if Dan's in poor financial straits or if he's just trying to make some extra money, but it's definitely starting to irk me.

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the ads are getting steadily more prevalent these past few months or so? I can barely click on the page without opening some kind of popup these days, and I think today was the first time I saw an ad taking up the entirety of the site's background behind the main comic.

    I'm not sure if Dan's in poor financial straits or if he's just trying to make some extra money, but it's definitely starting to irk me.
    It might be just my Firefox automatically cutting some of that, but I have never had any popups on EGS site - just the standard banners on the page. I checked more throughoutly and my browser does not even see anything in need of blocking, so for me EGS site is way cleaner then standard. Mayby you should see, if you do not have some malware in your browser?

    edit: as for today's page, are Tedd and Eliot discussing some old magic system based on just saying the correct phrases in faux latin?
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-10-09 at 01:41 PM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2019

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It might be just my Firefox automatically cutting some of that, but I have never had any popups on EGS site - just the standard banners on the page. I checked more throughoutly and my browser does not even see anything in need of blocking, so for me EGS site is way cleaner then standard. Mayby you should see, if you do not have some malware in your browser?
    Popups is probably the wrong word. I mean more that I can't click on the page without accidentally hitting an ad, there's so many clouding the page. There's at least five ads on every page now for me, sometimes more.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    I see four advertising blocks. They are very visible, but they also are easy to dodge. Then there are a couple Hive links.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Popups is probably the wrong word. I mean more that I can't click on the page without accidentally hitting an ad, there's so many clouding the page. There's at least five ads on every page now for me, sometimes more.
    For me, this week is better, last week the entire area around the comics was "come to Croatia for your vacation", which given the comic is ptetty small in the middle of the screen was a bit much. Maybe it's that I trashed all the cookies except for GitP and a couple of others last week, and now it'll stay quiet until I get around to getting rid of them again.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Popups is probably the wrong word. I mean more that I can't click on the page without accidentally hitting an ad, there's so many clouding the page. There's at least five ads on every page now for me, sometimes more.
    Still nothing like that. I only have banners in designated places on the page - no overlays of any kind and other things obscuring the content.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    memnarch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the mind.

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I see four advertising blocks. They are very visible, but they also are easy to dodge. Then there are a couple Hive links.
    This is what I see as well when I use an alternate browser to my usual with ublock origin, placed all around the outside excepting the one next to the commentary.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

    Currently playing: Minecraft, Awesomenauts, Stellaris.

    Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

    Photobucket bit the dust, so if you're curious what an old link looks like, just send a PM.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mucat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shive
    Including this page was something of a last minute decision. I hadn't planned on actually showing Tedd receive Susan's question, and intended to skip right to her telling the others about it.

    After thinking more thoroughly about Tedd's feelings on the matter, however, and how we haven't seen much of Elliot with no solid hint of what he's been up to other than "was by Tedd and holding a piece of paper", I decided this page was necessary, and that all of my plans were for naught.
    Dammit, Dan. This is your worst quality as a writer.

    If you're worried that "people don't know what Eliot's been up to," then you can relax. People don't need to know what he's been up to. He was last seen standing near Tedd, holding a piece of paper, and he'll come back on-panel when he needs to. That's fine.

    Similarly, it is not a plot hole to allow characters to know things you haven't explicitly shown them learning about. Conversations are a thing that happens. Your readers can connect the dots.

    Dan has gradually gotten better at this, but he seems to think he's taking a daring, reckless chance each time he lets some minor detail take place off-panel, when in reality he's still erring heavily on the side of "pacing be damned, I have to show this or everyone will think I'm cheating."
    Last edited by mucat; 2019-10-10 at 12:24 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Dammit, Dan. This is your worst quality as a writer.

    If you're worried that "people don't know what Eliot's been up to," then you can relax. People don't need to know what he's been up to. He was last seen standing near Tedd, holding a piece of paper, and he'll come back on-panel when he needs to. That's fine.

    Similarly, it is not a plot hole to allow characters to know things you haven't explicitly shown them learning about. Conversations are a thing that happens. Your readers can connect the dots.

    Dan has gradually gotten better at this, but he seems to think he's taking a daring, reckless chance each time he lets some minor detail take place off-panel, when in reality he's still erring heavily on the side of "pacing be damned, I have to show this or everyone will think I'm cheating."
    Agreed. It's not as bad with slice of life (which this largely is) since the entire point of the genre is to see the mundane day-to-day, but it can still create a very sluggish story that can feel like a drag to read through.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oregon

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Agreed as well. This whole page could have been just the first panel of the next page, or omitted completely. People aren't wondering if Elliot suddenly disappeared, and they probably still wouldn't after a year of updates not showing him. I mean, we may complain that we haven't seen him in too long, but we wouldn't think "he hasn't been on panel for a while, is he no longer in this house?" Most readers have object permanence :P

    This being said, it doesn't annoy me all that much. One page goes quickly when reading it as part of a whole, and that's how most people will experience it. The only people who won't are those who were caught up and now are reading this update before the next page is up. It's only a few days' worth of the page's lifetime.
    But yes, this is also the reason why most people won't be wondering about Elliot, either.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    mucat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    This being said, it doesn't annoy me all that much. One page goes quickly when reading it as part of a whole, and that's how most people will experience it. The only people who won't are those who were caught up and now are reading this update before the next page is up. It's only a few days' worth of the page's lifetime.
    But yes, this is also the reason why most people won't be wondering about Elliot, either.
    Absolutely. The page isn't badly written or anything, and no one extra page will slow down the pace of the story much. But Dan errs consistently on the side of filling in every detail, and we know from his commentary that even when he chooses not to show something on-panel, he second-guesses himself. "People will wonder how she knew that, and they'll be right to call me out on the plot-hole!" And even then he'll have a character give a thorough verbal summary of the events he chose not to show, rather than trust readers to connect the dots.

    Even when reading a whole storyline at once, his writing would have better flow and more punch if he didn't feel the need to show or explain every link in every chain of events. For example, before the current scene, he had everyone carefully lay out, in internal monologues and in their conversations with one another, how they planned to greet Ashley and what their hopes and worries are...so that when Ashley shows up, we'll understand the scripts they're all working from. Dan (as I read things) perceives ambiguity in any form as weak storytelling.

    (I'd better not even start to rant about his determination to leave no ambiguity in Diane or Lucy's new retroactive good-guys-all-along status!)
    Last edited by mucat; 2019-10-10 at 10:43 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post

    (I'd better not even start to rant about his determination to leave no ambiguity in Diane or Lucy's new retroactive good-guys-all-along status!)
    Was Mean Girls already out when they showed up the first time? They looked like they came directly from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Was Mean Girls already out when they showed up the first time? They looked like they came directly from there.
    Mean Girls came out in '04. I don't know when their first appearance in the comic was, but it does seem very likely that they were directly inspired by that movie.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    "The had complex reasons for acting like jerks and werren't just one-dimensional asshats, meaning they're allowed to regret what they've done and become better" and "totally good guys all along" are as different as night and day.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: El Goonish ShiVe: Look! Squirrel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    "The had complex reasons for acting like jerks and werren't just one-dimensional asshats, meaning they're allowed to regret what they've done and become better" and "totally good guys all along" are as different as night and day.
    Gotta side with Rater on this. Character growth and a change in perspective are keys to an interesting enemy-turned-friend, but that doesn't change the fact that she was a self-centered egotist who was too wrapped up in her own little game to realize what it was costing herself and her friends. The fact that she wasn't just doing it simply because she was spoiled and manipulative was a pleasant discovery, and makes her more redeemable, but it doesn't make her "good all along". She's left a lot of damage in her wake, regardless of her reasons.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •