Default Re: The Dark One or Redcloak?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Any other guesses?
    Oh haha didn't know that this should be a fun Book 7

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don’t think we can simplify the options down into a few options, there’s always lots of things that are possible. For example, RC could snap and destroy the final gate, but the world in the rift could mean the world doesn’t instantly become undone. With the green quiddity thing I think it’s most likely to occur only if the characters are the ones who retrieve green from the rift world. RC being involved with that would make a lot of sense since he almost certainly has the best knowledge (religion) of the characters we’ve seen.

I think some sort of Xykon Redcloak confrontation is inevitable though. And RC snapping or having some sort of temporary breakdown is pretty likely because of how all his denial

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I don’t think we can simplify the options down into a few options, there’s always lots of things that are possible. For example, RC could snap and destroy the final gate, but the world in the rift could mean the world doesn’t instantly become undone. With the green quiddity thing I think it’s most likely to occur only if the characters are the ones who retrieve green from the rift world. RC being involved with that would make a lot of sense since he almost certainly has the best knowledge (religion) of the characters we’ve seen.

I think some sort of Xykon Redcloak confrontation is inevitable though. And RC snapping or having some sort of temporary breakdown is pretty likely because of how all his denial
    How much do you want to bet that RC confronting the Order outside of the Monster Hollow part leads to him accidentally finding the gate. It could be some sort of a teleport spell gone awry or rashly using Earthquake or stone shape or something, but it would be interesting. Not the best option, but appropriate.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    How much do you want to bet that RC confronting the Order outside of the Monster Hollow part leads to him accidentally finding the gate. It could be some sort of a teleport spell gone awry or rashly using Earthquake or stone shape or something, but it would be interesting. Not the best option, but appropriate.
    Five gold!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You never know, the Snarl could have made some people.

Or maybe whoever is there is very good at being someplace else than the Snarl.
    Or The Snarl made some people, but lashes out because, even as smart as it's gotten, it's still a paranoid little creature, and regards anyone getting too close to its children as a threat to be purged? Justa thought. Like a guard dog that is perfectly nice towards its owners, but can and will bite your arm off if you seem like a threat, and is not very good at identifying threats.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It knows what’s a threat
    It just doesn’t know what’s’nt a threat

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Even if he hadn't, I'd be somewhat unhappy if the villain we've been following for the entire story turned out to not be the final boss.
    Agreed.

I'm not sure where the astral fortress fits into all of this, though. A quest to the astral fortress dot not seem very interesting to me, as it is. That said, the purpose of it could simply be to display Xykon's belief that he can safely rejuvenate, and thus able to risk destruction, thus allowing the party/RC to dispose of him once and for all, thanks to the combination of a poor gamble + RC's betrayal.

As for the gate, corrupting it takes weeks, so it's possible they find it before the party finds them.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Agreed.

I'm not sure where the astral fortress fits into all of this, though. A quest to the astral fortress dot not seem very interesting to me, as it is. That said, the purpose of it could simply be to display Xykon's belief that he can safely rejuvenate, and thus able to risk destruction, thus allowing the party/RC to dispose of him once and for all, thanks to the combination of a poor gamble + RC's betrayal.

As for the gate, corrupting it takes weeks, so it's possible they find it before the party finds them.
    Astral Fortress seems like a plot device that exists solely so that RC can completely nullify it.

It feels like they won't find the gate until just before or after the Order arrives.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-03-25 at 12:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Astral Fortress seems like a plot device that exists solely so that RC can completely nullify it.
    Why RC? He knows where the fortress is--he travelled there with Xykon when they left Azure City, before they went to Girard's pyramid. Don't see why he'd have any interest in "nullifying" it, especially since he knows that the phylactery Xykon stored there is not the real one.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Why RC? He knows where the fortress is--he travelled there with Xykon when they left Azure City, before they went to Girard's pyramid. Don't see why he'd have any interest in "nullifying" it, especially since he knows that the phylactery Xykon stored there is not the real one.
    I read it as saying that RC having swapped out the phylactery is exactly what nullifies the fortress.

The Order don't know about the swap yet so the fortress can still be presented as threat to them in the future, but it'll become completely irrelevant the moment they catch on to Redcloak's trick.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Aslo the Astral Fortress explains why Xykon couldn't keep an eye on what was going on under his nose.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I read it as saying that RC having swapped out the phylactery is exactly what nullifies the fortress.
    Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety much. It's impressive, but I doubt it actually has much value to the plot.
    One and a half levels of scribed spells for nothing.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #193

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's possible that there could be some shenanigans that lead the order to the fortress. If Xykon gets destroyed Redcloak could tell the order that Xykon made an astral fortress for his phylactery, omit the fact that he has the real one, and then try to destroy Xykon and everything else by executing plan B while the order is occupied. I doubt that something like that would happen and if it did some seriously weird stuff like using the planet in the rift as a backup world would have to end up occurring.

Yeah it's unlikely the fortress will come up but anything's possible.

14. - Top - End - #194

Lizardfolk

I think RC would be convince once e realizes that the snarl would destroy all goblinkind AND possibly even the dark one himself.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I think RC would be convince once e realizes that the snarl would destroy all goblinkind AND possibly even the dark one himself.
    He already knows the Snarl could potentially destroy all goblinkind--he mentions it as a possibility in Start of Darkness. Thing is, as far as he's concerned that's still a win, because the Dark One will be directly involved in creating the new world and will thus thrash out a better deal for goblinoids.

16. - Top - End - #196

Yea, they key info he's oblivious to is the fact that TDO wouldn't survive to carve out a better deal for them in the next world.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.