New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Eberron Literary Trilogy

Chapter 1: The Chimes at Midnight

Sypharos is an interesting time to be in Sharn. There is a frission in the air, growing each day, as though the Fury herself were manifesting through the city's residents. Scholars of religion and the planes may claim that there is no true connection to the Sovereign of Rage and Ruin, that it is entirely a matter of people using the month as an excuse to break taboos without consequence, but whatever the reason the city has gone feral. Parties and fights both spontaneously break out in the street—particularly after dusk—and every form of passion, good or bad, is heightened. This time of year the Sharn Opera House supposedly produces the most inspired performances, and this year the Diamond Theater has debuted a new play by Luca Syara about Galifar ir'Wynarn I's mistress, Ielenia, to rave reviews (as usual). (The rumors of backstage orgies are only too plausible, given the month and subject matter.)

Down here, though, in Cliffside, only the baser passions are let loose. Both watch-stations and brothels alike are stretched to capacity, and at dusk each night the streets are filled with sailors and residents, jostling, drinking, hustling, fighting, and dancing (occasionally horizontally). It is in this milieu, of course, that P.T. Beauregard has dragged the employees of his fledgling inquisitive agency out for a drink after proving to Mrs. Amamne that Mr. Amamne was having an affair. (She was less upset about the unfaithfulness than that it was with her brother.)

Stepping out of the Hole in the Bucket, slightly tipsy, does not exactly grant you fresh air, but at least it's a different stink, more of the docks than smoke and sweat and stale beer. In a somewhat awkward coincidence, you find that you can't all head home separately like you planned—you all live in the same direction from the bar, and thus are forced to remain in each other's company for a while longer.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Literary Trilogy

"Well," Mili starts, casually adjusting her mask, "That was...fun? I guess?" She doesn't sound so sure of herself, as if she just spent an evening with a few relative strangers, celebrating the equivalent of getting out of bed in the morning. "Yeah, that sounds good. Fun. I think I'll head home for now though. Things to do. Good night, everyone." With a wave, she starts heading off down the street.

An aggravating dozen steps later, with it becoming dead certain they were all headed the same direction, Mili stops and sighs, "I realize now that that goodbye was a mistake. I just ask that none of us acknowledge it and continue with our lives as if nothing embarrassing just happened." Not that she thought that was going to happen. There were good odds P.T. would laugh about it and remind everyone in the morning. For the next week. The young rodent fidgets, ducks her head, and quietly continues.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

A hulking behemoth of a man, sporting a bowler three sizes too small for his bald head and an immaculate tuxedo, shepherds a gnome whose choice of dress is elegant at first glance, but garish upon further examination. His top-hat sports a black lace bow. His fingers are encrusted in extravagant, gem-studded rings. His hair is slicked back with too much pomade. Stinking of booze, he walks with a stumble. Occasionally, the large man taps the gnome gently with his held cane, steering him back on course whenever he veers to the side.

"Fun! Exactly. Soon enough, we'll be living life in the lap of luxury, just like tonight! Cavorting in palaces and solving mysteries of the high courts that have the watch scratching their heads like the gorillas they are. Amamne is only the name of the first cobblestone on the road to fame!" Even inebriated, he has a way about him. It's easy to believe that his words are straight from the heart, even though it seems like every other phrase out of his mouth in dealings of business is, if not a lie, then a truth stretched razor-thin. He grins, "Present me promises to not needle you for a faux pas. Future me makes no such commitment!"
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2019-03-15 at 06:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sean ignores the gnome's exuberance, responding stoically to Mili. "Didn't get stabbed or shot. Didn't have to shoot anyone. Got paid. Don't know about fun, but I've had worse."

His eyes never stop scanning the area, the riot of activity during this season leaving him perpetually on edge. The strain is starting to show, an unusual hint of weariness shows in his face. The sudden movement or loud outburst of a passing celebrant makes his hand twitch towards his bow and quiver, but only slightly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Last out of the tavern is a tall half-orc, wiry but muscular, whose grimace fades into a milder scowl as she steps out into the humid, salty air. A long, black leather trenchcoat is draped over a simple white shirt, the rough fabric showing traces of the fine chain link hidden beneath it. Her hands, each wearing fingerless black gloves with conspicuous bulges over the knuckles, reach down to her belt, coming to rest on a small brown pouch and the well-worn hilt of a small axe.

"I've had... worse jobs. Not too interesting, but 'least we got paid. Better work'll come." She's speaking to her compatriots, but her eyes are focused on the side streets— she knows this neighborhood well, and so she knows to keep an eye out for trouble, scanning her surroundings through black-rimmed sunglasses that are conspicuously out of place in this near-sunless region of the city. "Rather be gettin' home quick, if you wouldn't mind. Not that this wasn't... fun. Just prefer to do my drinkin' in the privacy of my own home."
    Last edited by Lateral; 2019-03-17 at 05:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"I...prefer not to drink. Ever." Mili drums her fingers across the temple of her mask, then presses down on it with her palm, "Bad for clarity. Fuzzy-headed already, making it fuzzier isn't ideal. But...Have to give things a fair shake now and again. Can't get stuck in a rut now."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Measuring distance in blocks doesn't quite work in the decidedly un-grid-like streets and alleys of Cliffside, but in a more orderly district you would have traveled about five of them before you hear a screech, then a clatter, and then a crash of splintering wood, and finally a series of shrieks and screams from the previously-raucous crowd. Within a few seconds the crowd in front of you starts a slow-motion stampede back towards you, though the cause is hidden behind a dogleg bend in the street.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

"What?" Beauregard says quizzically, blinking at the commotion as it rises in a slow crescendo. "What?!" Again, this time with more urgency as he looks to either side. Nowhere to go...and at his height, being trampled was a -very- real possibility. "WHAT?! Panicked, he staggers to the side as Vincent steps past him, taking a solid stance and planting his cane between parted feet.

He made a fairly convincing wall.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll try to get a closer look," Mili takes a step forward, literally vanishing into the crowd only to reappear instantaneously on one of the above catwalks, then from there to an awning with a vantage point that gives her a better view of the cause of the human stampede. She waves at her partners just to make sure they see her, but otherwise quickly directs her attention past the bend in the street.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Mili's just using the Warp sphere to move around.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2019-03-19 at 03:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sean readies his bow and cuts toward the other side of the street, to get a better angle to see what is coming.
    Spoiler
    Show
    moving forward and to the side, trying to get to the side of the crowd before it makes movement difficult and be able to see what is coming sooner

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Mili
    Show
    It's hard to tell in the poor light and beyond the range of your darkvision, but you can make out that there's some sort of large cart or carriage overturned in the middle of the street. One of the enormous draft horses that pulled it lies dead in the street, another still thrashes in the street, and any others must have been cut free. One hulking figure, a good ten feet tall, stands behind it. You can see it reach down and tear up an enormous paving stone before throwing it into the crowd, crushing some poor reveler.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyes widening, Mili nearly cuts her belt off in the rush to get her blades ready. She bangs one against her metal perch to get the attention of the others still on the ground, while pointing with the other at the rampaging giant, "We got trouble! Get moving!" Wasting no more time, she hops down to a nearby catwalk, trying her best to steer clear of the main crowd with strategic teleportation. She offers some words of advice to the fleeing civilians via the fine art of barking orders, "Clear the area! Get indoors, away from windows and exterior walls! There is an extremely dangerous individual! It has already killed at least one person! Do not attempt to engage! My associates and I are professionals and will take care of this!"

Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[24] to persuade people to clear out ASAP.

Using standard action Warps to get close if the crowd is too dense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Mags lets out a string of swears as she hears Mili calling from down the street and dashes off after her, pushing her way through the crowd. As she does so, she lets out a roar and swings her arms around a bit— not enough to hurt anyone, just enough to keep them out of her path. She gains speed as she moves, adrenaline and magic pumping through her body, and as she rounds the corner you can see light and wisps of green smoke beginning to curl out from underneath her heavy jacket. She eyes the beast carefully, preparing to make her approach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Strike Fear into the crowd, Intimidate take 10+2 for 35. It'll only shaken them, but I figure it should double as a way to get me some breathing room. Also it starts my sequence, link 1. Imbue with Enhanced Combatant, Enhanced Speed, Mutagenic Enhancement, Animalistic Transformation (Land Speed), for a total 80 ft. land speed.
    Move: Swing around the corner with that 80 ft. land speed.
    Swift: scout it as soon as I get eyes on it, Perception: (1d20+10)[23]. Assuming that's successful, link 2. Also spotting it with The Devil, so I know its CR range.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2019-03-21 at 03:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Beauregard peeks out from between Vincent's legs with a frown. "Can't just go out for drinks," he mumbles. "Nooo. It's always something. A bar fight, or a watch raid. Are we Oracle -Hero- Agency? No! And yet, here we are." His whining is soft enough to be to himself, drowned under the din of the fleeing crowd. He tugs on Vincent's pantleg, and the absurd caricature of a man reaches down, and offers a hand. Beauregard takes a seat on his palm, and points down the street. "What you bet, Vinny? I'm betting...hired killer." Vinny remains stoic as he places the gnome upon his shoulder. He takes a surly pose, and grips his cane in two hands. With a wrenching motion, he twists the center bit of the cane, and it snaps forth, telescoping outwards to triple in size. The finely detailed head, depicting a bird of prey, pops up and open to reveal a long, gleaming blade, and Vincent begins to wade inexorably forward through the crowd.

As he does so, Beauregard points a finger at Mili and shouts. "Mili, make like a mouse and cheese it! We're not in the hero business!" With that, the mouse disappears, cloaked suddenly in a cowl of invisibility, her flesh and equipment given a convincing transparency.

Show
    Beauregard Move:Mount Vincent
    Vincent Full-Round: Move 60' in the direction of the chaos, pushing through the crowd.
    Beauregard Standard: Cast Invisibility
    Spoiler
    Show
    Target: Mili
    Duration: Concentration (up to 1 min/level) + 4 rounds linger
    Effect: Mili becomes invisible, gaining 50% concealment, +2 to attack, and striking creatures as if they were flat-footed. She gain a +7 to Stealth checks to avoid detection.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2019-03-21 at 04:31 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Mags
    Show
    The giant creature is an ettin, and appears to be a Difficult challenge. Because they have two heads, they tend to be very good at wielding two weapons at once. They're very strong, but also stupid, lacking a language of their own and instead using a pidgin of Orc, Goblin, and Giant.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Ahead, several bodies lie in the street. Most seem to have been revelers trampled as they fled, but at least a couple wear good-quality armor. By the looks of it, they must have been guarding the cart that overturned, as well as its mate, which bears the basilisk of House Medani.

The revelers seem to have been fleeing from several hobgoblins, wearing rags and manacles with chains now broken, and one two-headed giant in the same garb, though, with its lank, greasy hair it manages to make the uniform look even rattier. Two fighters, in the same armor as the dead bodies, are surrounded and hard-pressed by the hobgoblins and giant. At least one of them, closest to you, has obtained a sword, while most of the others fight bare-knuckled or using their chains as improvised flails. The giant, of course, doesn't have much of a need for a weapon, as it wields a wagonwheel and smashes it into the nearest guard's shield, breaking it and flinging splinters everywhere. Smoothly, it also reaches down, casually rips up a cobblestone, and chucks it at the other guard, putting a sizeable dent in their helmet.

As Mags approaches, the nearest hobgoblin takes notice and breaks away from the guard they were fighting, waving its stolen longsword inexpertly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Their turns take place narratively. You all go now. (Vinnie/PT are so far behind in part because Vinnie isn't as scary and in part because of initiative.)

House Medani's sigil:

Knowledge (nature) to ID the giant. Knowledge (local) and/or (nobility) to know about House Medani.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

"Did you forget your copper badges at home today or am I just crazy?" The gnome irately bellows, "We are not the watch and should be running away!" Alas, when words inevitably fall on deaf ears, the gnome rolls his eyes, and takes off his hat. He reaches into the extravagant accessory and draws forth a slender, four-pointed throwing star. Flipping it expertly and catches it, he points towards the fray. "Need I remind you that there is a very thin line between bravery and foolishness?" Vincent begins to move toward the calamity, wading through the fleeing crowd with strong, steady steps. When free, his pace picks up as he moves to join their companions.

Show
    Beauregard's Swift: Concentrate on Invisibility (Mili)
    Beauregard's Move: Draw Starknife
    Beauregard's Standard: Cast Invisibility
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skilled Caster: Perform (Comedy) of (1d20+25)[37] v. DC 22. The result becomes the DC to identify with spellcraft. Failing this check by 5 or more means targets are unaware Beauregard cast a spell.
    Target: Mags
    Effect: Mags becomes invisible, gaining 50% concealment, +2 to attack, and striking creatures as if they were flat-footed. She gain a +7 to Stealth checks to avoid detection.

Vincent's Double Move: Shove through crowd to F15/G16
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2019-03-23 at 08:37 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Mags dashes forward, her form disappearing as she approaches. Moments later, there are two loud thumps and a metallic grinding sound as a large, heavy, very invisible object smacks into some hobgoblin faces.
    Show
    Free: berserking, -2 AC/6 THP. Also examining one of the hobgoblins with The Devil, because I can. Move: Close the Gap to N8, link 3. Swift: switch imbuement to Enhanced Combatant, Enhanced Speed, Mutagenic Enhancement, Size Change, 50 ft. land speed, +2 to hit, +6 damage, +10 HP, -4 AC. Standard: barrage the goblins at O8/O10, taking the -4 to make it nonlethal. If either hits, link 4.

O8: (1d20+10)[23] for (3d8+16)[28] nonlethal bludgeoning
    O10: (1d20+10)[30] for (3d8+16)[31] nonlethal bludgeoning

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Sean is all business, moving to get a better view, studying the giant-kin's motion for a moment as he fits an arrow and draws, a slight glow emerging from the bodkin. He looses, an explosion of crystal emerging from the impact.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move 30 ft north

Swift to scout ettin, take 10 for 26, 21 after penalty for using perception to scout I stead if knowledge, target takes -2 AC against him on success

Energy blade crystal blast (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage (1d8+3)[4] + (4d4)[13]

Reflex save or entangled per crystal blast DC 16, CL7

Starts sequence on hit

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Mili disappears again, this time not under her own power at least. There's glimmers of magic, a few stray puffs of smoke from where she once stood and a sudden shift in lighting behind the closest hobgoblin. It takes a wound opening up on the back of the hobgoblin's legs for it to become apparent where she's gone.

Show
    Move Action: Mili Quick Teleports (1 SP) to M10.

Standard Action: Mili Dual Attacks the hobgoblin at L10.
    Main-Hand
    Attack - (1d20+8)[12] for Damage - (1d3+5)[6] plus 1 Bleed

Off-Hand
    Attack - (1d20+8)[17] for Damage - (1d3+5)[7] plus 1 Bleed, Sequence Start (1/5 Links)

Swift Action: Mili imbues her sequence with the Minor Shapeshift energy, gaining DR 2/Evil.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2019-03-24 at 04:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The escaped prisoners are utterly unprepared for your assault. Mags's richocheting cannonball is far more effective than she intended. Rather than merely hitting soft tissue, it caves in the skull of one and leaves one unconscious with wet-sounding, labored breathing. The guard they were assaulting nearly drops his sword as one of his attackers drops dead. Mili's hamstringing slice is somewhat less immediately deadly, but does cause a nasty wound, eliciting a gasp and then rubbernecking to find the sudden assailant. And Sean's ensorcelled arrow also strikes true, albeit with less obvious effect on the somewhat more-massive target.

Though two of their members have been stricken dead by a barely-visible apparition, the hobgoblins react quickly, albeit with mixed results. Two rush Mags, one managing to rush her shoulder into her, but her punch goes a good foot wide, and though the other wields the iron bar he picks up surprisingly well, he misses wildly too. In a somewhat more impressive assault, one of the hobgoblins near the ettin smashes the guard's wrist, catches the dropped longsword by the hilt before it clatters to the cobbles, and brings it up to slash open the guard's throat. The guard falls to the ground, his armor clunking against the street.

The hobgoblin stabbed Mili stabbed makes a successful counterattack too, albeit less lethal. He reaches out to snag the mouse. His hand misses, but he spots an opening. His sword comes across Mili's other side, cutting into her and, with a brutal crunch, knocking the wind out of her.

The ettin does what ettins are prone to do. It tears a wheel from one of the wagons and hurls it at the surviving guard, but it misses and crashes through the window of an adjacent shop, then throws another cobblestone at Mags, again unsuccessfully. The guard, wisely choosing to help fight the escapees furthest from the giant, rushes at the nearest hobgoblin, but his sword is cooly turned away by a scarred forearm.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Mags audibly sucks in a breath, and addresses the hobgoblins in their language. "Oooh. Erm, sorry 'bout your friend, there. I... mm. Well, I was... trying not to... ech. My bad." She takes a quick step backwards and, though none of the goblins can see it, throws her cannonball again; it ping-pongs around the alley, bouncing off of the ground, the walls, and the goblins' faces, before landing perfectly back in her hand. She then yells across to the ettin, switching to markedly less fluent Giant: "Hey, big guy! Come over here, why don't you?"

Show
    Free: berserking again, 5' step to M8, The Devil on X10.
    Swift: scout X10, (1d20+10)[20] for another link, link 5.
    Standard: finish with whirlwind, five attacks. Targeting each target until it goes down, L10 -> O8 -> O7 -> X10 -> Z10. All nonlethal; if I get to X10 and Z10, those are at -3 to hit and -1 damage.
    (1d20+13)[22] for (3d8+16)[32] nonlethal bludgeoning
    (1d20+13)[17] for (3d8+16)[37] nonlethal bludgeoning
    (1d20+13)[27] for (3d8+16)[31] nonlethal bludgeoning
    (1d20+13)[23] for (3d8+16)[33] nonlethal bludgeoning
    (1d20+13)[27] for (3d8+16)[26] nonlethal bludgeoning
    Move: challenge the ettin, which starts a new link, re-imbue with the same imbuement. Link 1. The ettin takes a +2 to hit me and a -2 to hit everyone else for 4 rounds.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

Vincent trundles forward to join the fray. He points violently at the Ettin with an angry grimace, and clasps his polearm with sausage fingers, falling into a readied stance. On his shoulder, Beauregard shouts at the Ettin. "Hey. HEY! Idiot! Cobblestones? Really? If you want to do some real damage, maybe stick your sausages up your nose and retrieve whatever rocks you have rattling around in that head." With that, a thick fog swirls forth from nothingness. Like a dense blanket, it ensconces the scene, cutting off the Ettin from the group of defenders. Beauregard calmly looks over his shoulder, speaking in a more normal tone. "Ugh, can you believe this fog? Whoever created it must be a bumbling fool. How is Sean gonna be able to shoot through it?"

Show
    Vincent's Move: Move to J11/K12
    Vincent's Standard: Activate Patrol.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zone (Punishing Rebuke): Whenever a creature attacks an ally within the patrol, not including Vinnie, they provoke an AoO from Vinnie.
    Effect: Increase reach by 10', to a total of 30'. If Vinnie makes an AoO outside his normal 20' reach, he moves to do so. Vinnie has 30' move speed, and 9 AoOs.

Vincent's Swift: Challenge Ettin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Effect: Ettin takes a -3 to attack all target other than Vinnie. He takes a +2 when attacking Vinnie.

Beauregard's Full-Round: Cast Illusion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skilled Caster: Perform (Comedy) of (1d20+25)[43] v. DC 22. The result becomes the DC to identify with spellcraft. Failing this check by 5 or more means targets are unaware Beauregard cast a spell.
    Target: Squares in rectangle from Q6 to S11, 15' high
    Saving Throw: Will 20, Disbelief
    Effect: The squares become filled with illusionary Solid Fog. This pea-soup like fog does not hinder movement speed, but is thick enough to utterly block line of sight through it, and grant concealment for adjacent targets. This area counts as a zone of Beauregard's darkness, with Tenebrous Ledgermain applied.

Beauregard's Free: This never happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Target: Hobgoblin wielding the iron bar inside the fog.
    Effect: Beauregard tries to Steal the iron bar, taking no penalty for using Steal as Disarm due to Master Thief. If his attempt of (1d20+16)[33] v. CMD succeeds, the iron bar appears in his hand, which he drops on the spot. If this steal is successful, Vagabond Nick causes it to deal 9 damage.

Beauregard's Free: Tell allies its an illusion.
    Last edited by Mahrke; 2019-03-27 at 09:47 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Mili coughs, stumbling around. She squeezes one eye shut, trying to focus, but not seeing much room for headway on her part, she simply teleports to a safer position.

Show
    Standard Action: Mili warps to P5 at no SP cost.
    Free Action: Mili uses the Abandan Focus link, expending her martial focus to add another link to her sequence. (2/5 Links)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sean already begins eyeing his next target, delibrately drawing his next arrow, ignoring the illusion, letting the crystal tipped shaft leap toward the ettin .
    Spoiler
    Show

Free abandon focus for 2nd link
    Move, focusing reload for focus + 3rd link,
    Swift to scout a hob, 4th link
    Standard energy blade on ettin (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage (1d8+7)[14] +(5d4)[14]

Ref 17 or entangled (CL is 9 from inspired sequence)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The ettin seems enraged at his prey escaping and leaps atop the overturned paddy wagon, scrambles over it, and then jumps down again, before ripping off a massive chunk of it and, his preferred quarry still hidden behind the next wagon, hurls it at the barely-visible Mags. It hits like (a large portion of) a truck, and Mili is struck by part of it as well.

This is not to say that the guard escapes. They sprout feathers. Or, rather, a feather, out of an ear. The other suddenly grows the tip of a quarrel, and they drop to the ground, to all appearances dead.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception to notice where the bolt came from. Also, Mili takes 7 "splash" damage.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sean frowns, the only outward sign of his growing frustration. He snaps off two more magically empowered shafts in short order, trying to watch the entire scene as he does so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    perception: take 10 for 26

5 links from previous rounds

abandon focus (6 links, +3/+3/+3)

Standard: energy blade, crystal blast (1d20+12)[32] vs ettin (still scouted for -2 AC)
    damage (1d8+11)[17] piercing + (6d4)[13]
    ref save 17 or entangled and immobile per crystal blast
    crit confirm rolled in Discord 19 to confirm (ettin has -2 AC), +33 base damage ans 29 blast damage

Move: arcane apocalypse finisher, energy blade, crystal blast if not entangled after the first, regular otherwise (1d20+12)[25] vs ettin (still scouted for -2 AC)
    damage (1d8+11)[12] piercing + (6d4)[7] piercing if crystal, (6d6)[23] bludgeoning otherwise
    ref save 17 or entangled and immobile per crystal blast
    (if ettin down, switch to next convenient target and use crystal blast)
    Last edited by stack; 2019-04-05 at 06:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The force of Sean's shot would probably have sent his arrow clean through a human's skull, but the ettin's skull must be harder. It only manages to pierce through its eye and lodge inside its brain pan. Once there, though, the crystalline magic takes over and shards of purple and green blast their way out from the arrow, exploding the giant's head and sending brain bits everywhere.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sean remains quietly happy he is not within splatter range. He calls to the others, "Bolt came from that way! We clear here?" he points to the south. If given the all-clear, he will rush in the direction he saw the shot come from, hoping to catch sight of...something.
    Last edited by stack; 2019-04-08 at 06:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Mili wheezes, pulling her mask up just enough to clear a bloody cough on her sleeve, "We should be clear - oof, think one of my ribs is cracked. Giant was the last one to go down." She pulls her mask back down and staggers over to the recently deceased guard, placing a hand on their neck to try and feel for a pulse, "Someone check the, uh, the hobgoblin whose head Mags didn't explode. I doubt they'll be of much use, but I'm in no shape to go chasing after archers."

Show
    If the guard's alive but unconscious, Mili will spend a spell point to apply the blank form and Fast Healing 1 to them, concentrating on it until they're conscious.

If the guard's dead, she'll do the same to start healing herself instead.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2019-04-09 at 11:55 AM.