The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1224
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

Well the offer wasn't accepted, so...

Oh right HP, I need to roll for that.

2. - Top - End - #1112

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Well the offer wasn't accepted, so...

Oh right HP, I need to roll for that.
    Of course, just for going forward so that it's no longer "nothing that's been discussed before."
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.
    Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

E8 Cursed Dungeon Run: Viktor Akkhan IC OOC Map

3. - Top - End - #1113

Number 5 - (2d6)[5][1](6) Average+1 = 8. Total = 8
    Number 6 - (2d10)[7][9](16) Average+1 = 12. Total = 16
    Number 7 - (2d6)[3][4](7) Average+1 = 8. Total = 7
    Number 8 - (2d6)[4][6](10) Average+1 = 8. Total = 10
    Wolf - (2d8)[3][1](4) Average+1 = 10. Total = 8

Alright, Attempt 3.

Edit: Hmph. A +4 and +2, with a -1 and -2. So I do get more HP out of this. Just a shame that Wolf is underneath the number, he really does need it.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-08-20 at 04:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

HP rolls for 14, 15 level
    Fjallar:
    (1d6)[5],(1d6)[6]
    Nekhbet:
    (1d8)[1],(1d8)[3]
    Scathach
    (1d8)[1],(1d8)[4]
    Ghislaine
    (1d10)[9],(1d10)[9]

5. - Top - End - #1115

Just a note, I'm headed back to the east coast for college this Friday, so I may be unresponsive Friday/this weekend.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hit die:
    Estron: (2d8+6)[13]
    Thumper: (2d8+6)[14]
    Caladan: (2d8+6)[10]
    Joshua: (2d8+6)[17]

7. - Top - End - #1117

Alright, now its just a matter of waiting till Puzzle gets back and hopefully we can start the penultimate round!

8. - Top - End - #1118

The Order of the Unicorn is now ready for the next fight.

9. - Top - End - #1119

If I may ask, Conquest & FUNGUS, are your teams ready?

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Sorry I'm out of town and haven't been online much. Team fungus is ready.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Hey all, been busy with school. I have some free time tomorrow, and I'll update all the things then.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Alright, can't wait to see the new rules!

13. - Top - End - #1123

I'm really sorry, school is kicking my ass. I've been appointed co-president of the robotics club, and it's a huge time commitment. I'll make updates tomorrow, around 14-16hrs from now.

14. - Top - End - #1124

To be fair, being co-president of a robotics class sounds as fun as it is responsible.

15. - Top - End - #1125

Alright, here are the rooms and monsters.

Spoiler: Monsters
    Show

Spoiler: Encounter 1
    Show
    1x Marid (MM p146)
    2x Young Bronze Dragon (MM p108)

Spoiler: Encounter 2
    Show
    1x Fire Giant (MM p154)
    1x Frost Giant (MM p155)
    1x Glabrezu (MM p58)

Spoiler: Rooms
    Show

Spoiler: Room 1
    Show
    You pull open the door and hear the scrape of its opening echo throughout what must be a massive room. Peering inside, you see a vast cavern. Stalactites drip down from the ceiling in sharp points while flowstone makes strange shapes on the floor.

The yellow is stalagmites littered about the ground, creating difficult terrain, and dealing 2 damage per 5ft traveled in it. The black is columns of impassable stone that reach from floor to ceiling.

Spoiler: Room 2
    Show
    A liquid-filled pit extends to every wall of this chamber. The liquid lies about 10 feet below your feet and is so murky that you can't see its bottom. The room smells sour. A rope bridge extends across the room.

The water is the blue. It is 20 ft deep.

These are random deadly encounters for 4 level 15 characters. I suspect these will be a bit easy, so I might raise the difficulty later, but we'll see how it goes for now.

For the first fight, The Order of the Unicorn will control the monsters fighting Team FUNGUS, Team FUNGUS will control monsters for Team Conquest, and Team Conquest will control monsters for The Order of the Unicorn. Every fight, you'll alternate control(e.g. FUNGUS will control Order of the Unicorn's monsters, and so on). The monsters will set up in the room, and then the PCs take there places and act (PCs win initiative).

You guys will keep doing fights until your PCs die, at which point you're eliminated from the round. Each team has 2 short rests they can take in between fights, but the entire party has to take the rests (unlike in previous rounds where a single character could take a short rest).

In terms of my involvement, this is mostly on you guys. You'll keep using the same maps and threads that already exist (Team FUNGUS's PCs will fight on Team FUNGUS's map and Team FUNGUS's thread). I'll still be around to answer questions - doing creative things with the rooms is encouraged, but I'll still be the final voice on dispute. Aside from that, you should be able to run on your own.

I do want to just take a second to thank you guys - this is by far the longest game I've been in, and the only reason it's lasted this long is because you guys have put up with all my shenanigans. So thank you.

That said, pick your rooms and monsters, and fight each other to the death!

16. - Top - End - #1126

Only 2 encounters and 2 rooms?

I was expecting there to be 3 encounters and 3 rooms, one for each of us? Even if the room+encounter gives us four different unique combinations, I'm honestly a little disappointed we didn't get 3 choices, simply because it felt thematically for it to be that way... I'm guessing that there's going to be no way of locking down a combination so the others can't use it? In order to make sure that the game is fair in that way?

I honestly wish we didn't automatically win initiative. We've done that far, far too many times for my liking. We actually have initiative modifiers, and its an out-right PvP fight. Why can't we roll for initiative and operate the same way we did in the Capture the Flag round? Its more complicated sure, but the initiative is a really big deal and its a shame that we're not using it at all...

Two further questions: Do we get any preparation before we are sent into the battle room? Or are the short-term buffs only allowed to be cast in the battle? And are the short-rests actual short-rests this time? Requiring an hour to be taken, which means we have to balance out our buff duration with rest and recovery?

... Actually, wait I got three further questions. What are the rules for the Planar Binding check again, how much of our gold can be spent on Consumables, and how many Finger of Death zombies can we have at the start of the round?

Anyway, I think I'll face up against Encounter 1 in Room 1, please.

... Wait, I don't see any room set-ups in the document?
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-08-30 at 05:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Thank you for running this! It's been fun. Can't wait for the final showdown.

I second the question regarding casting buffs prior to the encounter. The spell selection I would go with varies dramatically with how many buff rounds we get prior to entering.

I don't really care one way or the other with initiative, as long as we are consistent.

Are we doing the 1 free short rest thing we have been doing in the other events?

Can the dragons use the Marid to cast wish on their behalf?

Does the Glabrezu have the Summon Demon ability?

Thanks!
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-08-30 at 08:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Quote Originally Posted by charlesrwest View Post
    Are we doing the 1 free short rest thing we have been doing in the other events?
    No.

We have 2 short rests tgat we can take between the rounds. That's it.

19. - Top - End - #1129

Only 2 encounters and 2 rooms?

I was expecting there to be 3 encounters and 3 rooms, one for each of us? Even if the room+encounter gives us four different unique combinations, I'm honestly a little disappointed we didn't get 3 choices, simply because it felt thematically for it to be that way... I'm guessing that there's going to be no way of locking down a combination so the others can't use it? In order to make sure that the game is fair in that way?
    That is correct, multiple people can pick the same thing. I can do 3 next time.

I honestly wish we didn't automatically win initiative. We've done that far, far too many times for my liking. We actually have initiative modifiers, and its an out-right PvP fight. Why can't we roll for initiative and operate the same way we did in the Capture the Flag round? Its more complicated sure, but the initiative is a really big deal and its a shame that we're not using it at all...
    That's a good argument. I generally do the autowin init because it guarantees that the different teams act in turns.

How about your team rolls init, as does the monster team. The monster team then averages their inits, all acting on the same init.

Two further questions: Do we get any preparation before we are sent into the battle room? Or are the short-term buffs only allowed to be cast in the battle? And are the short-rests actual short-rests this time? Requiring an hour to be taken, which means we have to balance out our buff duration with rest and recovery?
    One minute of prep time. These are actual short rests.

... Actually, wait I got three further questions. What are the rules for the Planar Binding check again, how much of our gold can be spent on Consumables, and how many Finger of Death zombies can we have at the start of the round?
    For planar binding, assume you roll a 20. However, legendary resistance and such still apply. 25% of your gold can be spent on consumables. I believe 10 FoD zombies was the arbitrary limit I set.

... Wait, I don't see any room set-ups in the document?
    *facepalm* I made the rooms in my own spreadsheet, and forgot to put them in the actual doc. They are now both on The Order of the Unicorn's page.

Thank you for running this! It's been fun. Can't wait for the final showdown.

I second the question regarding casting buffs prior to the encounter. The spell selection I would go with varies dramatically with how many buff rounds we get prior to entering.
    Of course! And as answered above, 1 minute of prep time.

No, your team gets 2 short rests, which are actual, hour long, short rests.

Can the dragons use the Marid to cast wish on their behalf?
    No, the Marid cannot cast wish.

Does the Glabrezu have the Summon Demon ability?

Thanks!
    No, it does not.

20. - Top - End - #1130

The Order of the Unicorn will take:

Monsters:
    1x Fire Giant (MM p154)
    1x Frost Giant (MM p155)
    1x Glabrezu (MM p58)

Room:
    You pull open the door and hear the scrape of its opening echo throughout what must be a massive room. Peering inside, you see a vast cavern. Stalactites drip down from the ceiling in sharp points while flowstone makes strange shapes on the floor.

The yellow is stalagmites littered about the ground, creating difficult terrain, and dealing 2 damage per 5ft traveled in it. The black is columns of impassable stone that reach from floor to ceiling.

Team init:
    Estron: (1d20+2)[18]
    Thumper: (1d20+2)[13]
    Caladan: (1d20+2)[17]
    Joshua: (1d20+2)[11]

Just prior to entering the room, each member of the team casts Blink and Darkness from a scroll. They also activate their boots of speed. They then spread out as much as possible while entering.

21. - Top - End - #1131

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    For planar binding, assume you roll a 20. However, legendary resistance and such still apply. 25% of your gold can be spent on consumables. I believe 10 FoD zombies was the arbitrary limit I set.
    Alright, so... 10 FoD Zombies, 7 Warhorses and 7 Familiar's (I cast Simulacrum on my Ranger, and he summoned a Wolf of his own)...

And for one hour, I can also summon 5d4+5 Beserkers. I think I'll likely save them for after the last short rest. You know, just to be on the safe side? I can't exactly go around lugging corpses with me either, so I'll likely start with 9 Heavy Crossbow Wielding Danse Macabre Skeletons... that just leaves Planar Binding...

... Hmmmm. What weapons would a Chain Devil be proficient with exactly? And does he need to make a Chain attack in order to benefit from the extra attacks from his Animated Chains? ... Actually, come to think of it, are my Skeletons and Warhorses proficient with any form of armour as well?

Edit: Ya know... all of this actually gives me an idea for what we might do for a post-final round, if we end up doing that.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-09-01 at 05:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Just prior to entering the room, each member of the team casts Blink and Darkness from a scroll. They also activate their boots of speed. They then spread out as much as possible while entering.
    ... You do know that Darkness isn't centred on you, right? So casting Darkness from a scroll before you enter into the room doesn't do anything, you just waste the scroll by creating blocks of Darkness in the starting area, and not the room where the fights are happening themselves.

Anyway, would you mind positioning your Warlocks in the room please? That way I can figure out where to place your opponents, and we can begin the fight.

Spoiler: Monster Initative
    Show
    Fire Giant - (1d20-1)[2]
    Frost Giant - (1d20-1)[15]
    Glabrezu - (1d20+2)[3]

Average: 6 & 2/3rds. All lower than the Order's rolls.

Spoiler: Team Conquest Initative
    Show
    Number 5 - (1d20)[8]
    Number 6 - (1d20+5)[20] vs Number 6 - (1d20+5)[14]
    Number 7 - (1d20+5)[9]
    Number 8 - (1d20+5)[25]
    Wolf - (1d20+2)[7]
    Number S6 - (1d20+5)[19] vs Number S6 - (1d20+5)[23]
    Wolf 2 - (1d20+2)[7]
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-09-01 at 05:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1133

I will place them shortly. You can cast darkness on an object and have it move with the object. The warlocks casted it on their cloaks.

24. - Top - End - #1134

I will place them shortly. You can cast darkness on an object and have it move with the object. The warlocks casted it on their cloaks.
    If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it.
    I will admit, I had not read that before.

It could be argued that you can't cast it on the cloak, as it says you can't cast Darkness on an item that is being worn, but that's just semantics really, casting it on your shield or the crystal focus, as long as you carry it with one hand, would work just fine.

That being said, considering that you and all of your equipment are transported into the Ethereal Plane each time you blink out of existence, then said Darkness will keep blinking in and out of existence unless I'm mistaken on how those rules would interact with one another?
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-09-01 at 07:04 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1135

... Hmmmm. What weapons would a Chain Devil be proficient with exactly? And does he need to make a Chain attack in order to benefit from the extra attacks from his Animated Chains? ... Actually, come to think of it, are my Skeletons and Warhorses proficient with any form of armour as well?
    I'll say a chain devil is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but it does need to attack with it's chains to benefit from the Animated Chain attacks. Skeletons and warhorses are proficient in light armor.

I will admit, I had not read that before.

It could be argued that you can't cast it on the cloak, as it says you can't cast Darkness on an item that is being worn, but that's just semantics really, casting it on your shield or the crystal focus, as long as you carry it with one hand, would work just fine.

That being said, considering that you and all of your equipment are transported into the Ethereal Plane each time you blink out of existence, then said Darkness will keep blinking in and out of existence unless I'm mistaken on how those rules would interact with one another?
    Casting on the cloak seems okay to me, although your interpretation of the interaction between Blink and Darkness seems accurate.

Incidentally, because you can see from the Ethereal plane into the material plane, but not the other way around, I believe Darkness extends into the Ethereal plane. Not that that matters to anything we're doing.

26. - Top - End - #1136

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    I'll say a chain devil is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but it does need to attack with it's chains to benefit from the Animated Chain attacks. Skeletons and warhorses are proficient in light armor.
    What about the Chain Devil? What armour is it proficent with? ... And for that matter, what is the Invisible Stalker proficent with, if anything?

Hmmm... buying the Skeletons Studded Leather Armour for +1 AC would cost me... 405gp.

As for the Warhorses... well, first I'm surprised that their limited to light armour? Their warhorses after all, and summoned by a Paladin at that. Haven't you seen a horse decked out in full plate armour before? Getting them Studded Leather Barding for +2 AC would cost me... 1260gp. Ouch. But getting them Hide Armor? For also +2 AC? 280gp. And Ringmail would be 840gp for a +3 AC bonus across the board.

Its your choice, but Warhorses only being proficent with Light Armour doesn't seem right for me.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Posted in the Order of the Unicorn map. Placed monsters on map because they weren't there.

Blink rolls for that turn:
    Estron: (1d20)[5]
    Thumper: (1d20)[14]
    Caladan: (1d20)[15]
    Joshua: (1d20)[1]

Caladan and Thumper disappear.
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-09-01 at 10:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1138

Placed monsters on map because they weren't there.
    I didn't place the monsters on the map, because I was waiting for you to decide where exactly your team entered from, so I could place them in an opposite starting place.

Please inform me where exactly the team entered from, as I will them place the monsters on the map myself.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-09-01 at 10:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Posted here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...9#post24121909

I started on the left side and put them on the right side. My team can move halfway across the map with normal move and their range spans the entire map. Given that they just fire eldritch blast, I didn't think it mattered much.

I would be happy to retake my turn if you want to place them somewhere else.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Quick question:

The goal here is the number of encounters survived, right? So it doesn't matter how quick we kill and there is no point to drag out fights to increase "rounds survived"?