The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

...no it doesn't? It makes 40 by 45, and the spell is a 20' radius, not diameter, thus making a 40x40 square.

Anyway despite pressing of 2 rather than 4 you are correct, while slightly annoying to the spell that it is a 11*21 map.

By those numbers I meant that it's centered at the exact center of the square of G15 might peek halfway into the very next square, but it doesn't matter much to me.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-25 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

And Wisdom saves for Hold Person:

Gretro: (1d20-1)[15] Save
    Debian: (1d20-1)[2] Fail

Still waiting for urandom to make the Velociraptors' attacks.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-25 at 08:39 PM.
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Urandom, can you not make a new post for each piece of your actions? if you can, it's much more organized if you do

C1 does this action.

C2 does this action.

Group of C's does these actions.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

All the rolls go here

There's also that my reaction ability could have made many of these actions not happen because of how far he moves
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-25 at 09:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

urandom, familiars can't attack. I haven't looked through the rest of the stuff, but that stood out to me. Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Urandom, can you not make a new post for each piece of your actions? if you can, it's much more organized if you do

C1 does this action.

C2 does this action.

Group of C's does these actions.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

All the rolls go here
    ...this. So much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.
    Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

E8 Cursed Dungeon Run: Viktor Akkhan IC OOC Map

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    urandom, familiars can't attack. I haven't looked through the rest of the stuff, but that stood out to me. Also...

...this. So much this.
    Oh yes, forgot that, nevermind.

I was making separate posts because I need to make decisions about using inspiration who to attack next, etc. Edited posts don't seem to roll. I can make it more together if you are okay with me making decisions on the fly, after having rolled (eg if I kill one guy I may attack someone else etc)

Gluteus, Gretro reaction is when they move to within 5 feet of you, but they were summoned so you can't use it (and if that rule is changed that I'd like to change where I summon them).
    Last edited by urandom; 2019-03-25 at 10:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

*sigh*
    I'm just going to quit this. This all has just got me frustrated that I didn't make my characters literally the most optimized **** they could possibly be and didn't 100% exploit the "1 uncommon magic item" by getting a ton of uncommon items priced at insane amounts (honestly, why is the Doss Lute 28500?). and I don't even care about internet karma for winning something that only people who have all the time on their hands can do while still affording to give their PC's candles, a horn, all kinds of tools, and the like.

To give some thought on the format, though, it could be improved infinitely, such as the thing about giving literally any magic item instead of like having a price range, and the anonymity of the internet on a forum with making your characters as good as possible without fear of rage, and waiting for ages for posts doesn't happen when everyone's sitting around tables doing their actions on the spot. In short, the format doesn't work for PbP IMHoO, and if you're using sane magic item prices for one thing you should use it for all things.

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by actual Scout rogue wording
    Skirmisher
    Starting at 3rd level, you are difficult to pin down during a fight. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This movement doesnít provoke opportunity attacks.
    not "moves to 15 feet of you". But I don't give a **** anymore.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

*sigh*
    I'm just going to quit this. This all has just got me frustrated that I didn't make my characters literally the most optimized **** they could possibly be and didn't 100% exploit the "1 uncommon magic item" by getting a ton of uncommon items priced at insane amounts (honestly, why is the Doss Lute 28500?). and I don't even care about internet karma for winning something that only people who have all the time on their hands can do while still affording to give their PC's candles, a horn, all kinds of tools, and the like.

To give some thought on the format, though, it could be improved infinitely, such as the thing about giving literally any magic item instead of like having a price range, and the anonymity of the internet on a forum with making your characters as good as possible without fear of rage, and waiting for ages for posts doesn't happen when everyone's sitting around tables doing their actions on the spot. In short, the format doesn't work for PbP IMHoO, and if you're using sane magic item prices for one thing you should use it for all things.

Also,

not "moves to 15 feet of you". But I don't give a **** anymore.
    I was just going off what you had on your sheet. Sorry you didn't have fun. I'm not going to address your other comments, except to remark that PvP battles are inherently very swingy so you might want to avoid taking it so seriously.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by urandom View Post
    I was making separate posts because I need to make decisions about using inspiration who to attack next, etc. Edited posts don't seem to roll. I can make it more together if you are okay with me making decisions on the fly, after having rolled (eg if I kill one guy I may attack someone else etc)
    Roll all the dice you might roll in one post, then edit to say what they're for. I've done it a couple times in this game, and I can link you to one if you'd like.

*sigh*

I'm sorry to hear that, although I appreciate the feedback. I wish you well in all your future gaming endeavors (and all other endeavors too, I guess).

Regarding the Sane Magic Item Prices/uncommon items specifically, I did that because Sane Magic Item Prices was done in 2015, so the uncommon item was intended for people to be able to pick up newer items without me having to go through all the new books and price things myself. I do concede that it is/was a flawed system, but that was the intention behind it.

My (admittedly somewhat limited) experience with PbP games is that when one person falls, the rest are generally close behind, so just a check: can you all sound off if you're still willing to play?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly?
    I've been enjoying this, but my life is a mess, and has been getting worse.
    I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

Good luck to everyone else!
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I'm sticking around. You've been a responsive GM, and I'm interested to see what the next challenges are, and how the different approaches shake out.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Honestly?
    I've been enjoying this, but my life is a mess, and has been getting worse.
    I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

Good luck to everyone else!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Take care of yourself, and good luck out there.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Iím happy to stick around, though it seems that my foe may not be. Since both our partners quit should me and urandom fight it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

13. - Top - End - #283

the anonymity of the internet on a forum with making your characters as good as possible without fear of rage
    Excuse me if this is naive, as I'm still somewhat new to Tabletop RPGs overall...

But isn't the entire point of a PvP contest to make your characters as good as possible and compete against one another?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Excuse me if this is naive, as I'm still somewhat new to Tabletop RPGs overall...

But isn't the entire point of a PvP contest to make your characters as good as possible and compete against one another?
    Now youíre getting into a question of philosophy.

Fundamentally the point is to have fun, for some people that means victory at all cost. For some that means as good as possible without ďcheesy tacticsĒ which in 5e includes swarms of tiny summonables. Some would say itís about making a team that appeals aesthetically and then just seeing how well they do, without victory being a primary concern.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-03-26 at 05:20 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Hmmm, as someone who plays non-meta decks in Yugioh a lot, I do understand that sentiment now that you've brought it up. There is certain cards or tactics that I simply despise in Yugioh, or in other competitive games as well.

But, when there is no 'Gentleman's rules' established in place, one should not expect people to obey these rules and use every tool at their disposal to win. As some people enjoy these pvp endeavours by winning, no matter the tactics they need to use. Really, such matters need to be discussed from the start, otherwise you get situations like this, where one has a massively unenjoyable situation due to incorrect expectations.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmmm, as someone who plays non-meta decks in Yugioh a lot, I do understand that sentiment now that you've brought it up. There is certain cards or tactics that I simply despise in Yugioh, or in other competitive games as well.

But, when there is no 'Gentleman's rules' established in place, one should not expect people to obey these rules and use every tool at their disposal to win. As some people enjoy these pvp endeavours by winning, no matter the tactics they need to use. Really, such matters need to be discussed from the start, otherwise you get situations like this, where one has a massively unenjoyable situation due to incorrect expectations.
    I agree entirely, I attempted to have a strong theme while still mostly being combat capable but I understand some people will have better chosen equipment or cleverer combinations that I either ever realised or was forced to avoid.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    For some that means as good as possible without ďcheesy tacticsĒ which in 5e includes swarms of tiny summonables. Some would say itís about making a team that appeals aesthetically and then just seeing how well they do, without victory being a primary concern.
    Well maybe I should defend myself. I suppose it depends what your definition of cheesy tactics is. I really don't think using conjure animals with a shepherd druid is cheesy. For instance my opponent had a moon druid (generally considered much stronger than shepherd) and tried to take conjure animals, presumably because its a good, iconic spell for druids.

I have a diverse team with straightforward choices. My wizard caste haste, bard hold person, druid conjure animals and my fighter attacked with action surge. These are very normal, straightforward choices. If a team had cast a few fireballs the result would almost certainly have been worse for my opponent. That's just what happens in PvP when one team can unload on the other team.

To my mind cheesy would be something either op/exploitative like coffeelock or something tuned to be incredibly strong at one thing like a team of necromancers with an army of undead, or an all paladin mega smite party or something. I don't really condemn the second type of cheesy either, since they won't be great at challenges that don't fit their niche.
    I agree. It's worth pointing out that this particular challenge was PvP, but presumably many of the challenges won't be. They'll also mean different builds will get opportunities to shine at different types of challenges. Some builds are going to struggle with some of the challenges.

Iím happy to stick around, though it seems that my foe may not be. Since both our partners quit should me and urandom fight it out?
    I would definitely be up for that as long as we aren't slowing the group/DM down by rematching.

If you are interested in making a gentleman's agreement I think it should be regarding the rules of the challenge, which I am concerned currently strongly favor hiding in the goal-lines and killing your opponents rather than actually retrieving the flag.
    Last edited by urandom; 2019-03-26 at 10:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

RangerGuy

Eh, in defense, there sorta were gentleman's rules in place from the beginning (for example, having thematic parties (which generally equates to not min/maxed munchkins)).

That sort of went out the window when parties like "they're all clones", good and evil creatures mixed together, teams where the characters don't even have names, etc came into being.

I think I'm gonna bow out of this as well. It seems like a real fun concept, but I've got enough else going on that I don't know that I'll be able to consistently post to the level of detail and frequency as I like going forward (getting married in May and running a multi-thousand person event in June). I also have reservations on how well it works in a PbP format, but think it would be great as a D&D Epic type of thing where each table is a contest.
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-03-26 at 10:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289

And that would leave us with 5, so that's an odd number right there...

20. - Top - End - #290

With regard to the rules being heavily abusable, I agree. I think that optimized PvP in general tends to be rocket tag, although for this version of CTF in particular, I think things might be interesting with the teams that nova at the beginning of the first round having nothing for subsequent rounds.

All that said, I have no clue what to do about it. And urandom, 6/9 of the events I had planned were PvP of some flavor or another. Most are "accomplish some goal before your opponent does" like CTF, which generally leads to PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    I think I'm gonna bow out of this as well. It seems like a real fun concept, but I've got enough else going on that I don't know that I'll be able to consistently post to the level of detail and frequency as I like going forward (getting married in May and running a multi-thousand person event in June). I also have reservations on how well it works in a PbP format, but think it would be great as a D&D Epic type of thing where each table is a contest.
    Well, thanks for playing, and I hope you had fun. Also, congratulations!

With 3 casualties (and the first 3 players, at that), I'm iffy on continuing. I've got class soon, so I guess the theme of this post is "I don't know what to do". In the short term, at least, I can get another thread/map set up to match 2 of you who no longer have opponents - I'll do that in a few hours, if you can decide who wants it. We can also pull in SleepyMinstrel's second team (if they're still in) to even out the ranks. Long term? Suggestions are appreciated.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Eh, in defense, there sorta were gentleman's rules in place from the beginning (for example, having thematic parties (which generally equates to not min/maxed munchkins)).

That sort of went out the window when parties like "they're all clones", good and evil creatures mixed together, teams where the characters don't even have names, etc came into being.

Hang on, my characters had a strong theme, all being defenders of nature. The bird thing was added later.

Also, come on! I want one of these to go the distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by urandom View Post
    Well maybe I should defend myself. I suppose it depends what your definition of cheesy tactics is. I really don't think using conjure animals with a shepherd druid is cheesy. For instance my opponent had a moon druid (generally considered much stronger than shepherd) and tried to take conjure animals, presumably because its a good, iconic spell for druids.

I have a diverse team with straightforward choices. My wizard caste haste, bard hold person, druid conjure animals and my fighter attacked with action surge. These are very normal, straightforward choices. If a team had cast a few fireballs the result would almost certainly have been worse for my opponent. That's just what happens in PvP when one team can unload on the other team.

To my mind cheesy would be something either op/exploitative like coffeelock or something tuned to be incredibly strong at one thing like a team of necromancers with an army of undead, or an all paladin mega smite party or something. I don't really condemn the second type of cheesy either, since they won't be great at challenges that don't fit their niche.

I agree. It's worth pointing out that this particular challenge was PvP, but presumably many of the challenges won't be. They'll also mean different builds will get opportunities to shine at different types of challenges. Some builds are going to struggle with some of the challenges.

I would definitely be up for that as long as we aren't slowing the group/DM down by rematching.

If you are interested in making a gentleman's agreement I think it should be regarding the rules of the challenge, which I am concerned currently strongly favor hiding in the goal-lines and killing your opponents rather than actually retrieving the flag.
    RE: Summoning, Iíve of the opinion that itís not inherently cheesy, but a slight Parmesan taste emerges once you summon a swarm of tiny ones as due to action economy this is very powerful.

Also can someone explain coffeelock to me? Iíve heard it but donít know what it is.

Regarding potential changes, Iím not sure why the goal areas need to be shielded at all? It seeems to encourage camping and shooting. Also I agree on the party wiping instead of flag retrieval, especially with 10 damage or any single status condition causing a drop without a save.

22. - Top - End - #292

Also can someone explain coffeelock to me? Iíve heard it but donít know what it is.
    Sorlock that takes 8 short rests instead of sleeping and uses one of a few ways to negate the exhaustion penalties. After each short rest, they convert their warlock spell slots into spell points into sorcerer spell slots, resulting in an arbitrary number of spell slots after just a few days of downtime.

23. - Top - End - #293

Acknowledge on the initiative post. That's fine. I have been having fun and would like to continue. In particular, I know urandom from other games so that one should be fun.

I'm going to respond to what I feel is a specific criticism about my team and then try to address the more general problem.

"All clones" and the optimization vs flavor problem:
    Frankly, I've never really seen a conflict between optimization and flavor. I typically come up with something I find mechanically interesting and then develop a flavor concept based on it. For instance, I had a lot of fun answering the question of "why are they all celestial warlocks" which in turn lead to the equally fun question of "what would a bunch of orphans raised as a hit squad for a good is not nice unicorn act like".

Regarding balance and event structure:
    This is tough. Really tough. I applaud you for trying this. In terms of useful suggestions.

1. Don't allow consumables. They are nearly always OP in events like this because gold returns as levels increase go up fast. My current build strongly takes advantage of this.
    2. Don't allow magic items (maybe +x items?). They are are fun but not necessary and a nightmare to balance in general. I've heard the argument that it is expected and needed (in particular for martial classes) but I was not convinced. As I recall, Angry GM does find them needed either.
    3. I'm concerned that the race event will be a "do you have X" spell problem. You might want to lock down teleporting and/or have other mechanics that do the actual moving (like a platform where the team can burn actions to move it forward).
    4. My analysis of the current event is that the far and away most optimal choice is to kill the other team and then walk the flag. There are too many nerfs on the flag carrier to do what was intended in the event. You may wish to add a restore/heal between rounds, get rid of the knights and remove or reduce the flag dropping mechanism.
    5. You might want to allow a day for this sort of discussion before the event starts, just so any really big incentive holes can be patched. Looking at messages and chats, it seems like at least 3 of us decided "the only way to win is murder" despite it being pretty clear that is not what was intended to be incentivized with the rules.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to ignore anything.

Thanks!
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-03-26 at 12:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

To be honest, my plan was to murder any flying enemies on the other team, while casting plant growth to slow the others to a crawl. However even that makes it into a contest to see how quickly I can murder them rather than a straight race.

Also ditto on the simultaneous theme and mechanics, I wanted to play a Shepard Druid as I never really got the chance before and I always like rangers and warlocks. From there a theme of nature emerged easily from a fey warlock and my paladin tank.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-03-26 at 12:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

There are spell combos that can let you move 180 ft on the first round. And that is discounting dimensional door, which we would have access to if we level up again.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm still around. Sorry, was planning to take an unwind day after a stressful encounter in another game. 3/5 party members died.

I don't know. I am still having fun, but I do think the current rules heavily favor killing the opposing team instead of capturing the flag. Which does feel a little less like a game of capture the flag, and more like pvp fight with a twist. I also totally didn't come into this expecting to do well, so *shrug*.

If you, the dm, decide this isn't going how you wanted and want to call it or tweak some rules, I'd understand. For now, I'll get Rain's action tossed up soonish and if you need me to finish up Team Cats&Dogs, I can do that. (Stopped working on them when we had enough players. Should only have to buy gear to be ready)
    Last edited by SleepyMinstrel; 2019-03-26 at 01:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Why do you say having a thematic party is a gentleman's rule in place from the beginning? This was described as a competitive hack and slash requiring one sentence character description. Also 'all clones' and 'bard band' and 'bird boys' are very thematic (a little too thematic for a standard game in fact). My party is a pretty standard dnd party, so I admit to having a kinda boring/minimal 'theme.'
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    With regard to the rules being heavily abusable, I agree. I think that optimized PvP in general tends to be rocket tag, although for this version of CTF in particular, I think things might be interesting with the teams that nova at the beginning of the first round having nothing for subsequent rounds.

All that said, I have no clue what to do about it. And urandom, 6/9 of the events I had planned were PvP of some flavor or another. Most are "accomplish some goal before your opponent does" like CTF, which generally leads to PvP.

Well, thanks for playing, and I hope you had fun. Also, congratulations!

With 3 casualties (and the first 3 players, at that), I'm iffy on continuing. I've got class soon, so I guess the theme of this post is "I don't know what to do". In the short term, at least, I can get another thread/map set up to match 2 of you who no longer have opponents - I'll do that in a few hours, if you can decide who wants it. We can also pull in SleepyMinstrel's second team (if they're still in) to even out the ranks. Long term? Suggestions are appreciated.
    I think 'accomplish some goal before your opponent does' is just fine, and doesn't need to be PvP. Competitive dungeons for instance is a very classic way to play. Basically I would just try to structure the rules to avoid making them always devolve into team kill battles. I wouldn't worry too much about nerfing particular strategies though, its not worth the rabbit hole. A few ideas: a big boss fight where each team gets, for instance, points for killing boss fast, negative points for losing players. A survival mode where each party is in fortress being swarmed by enemies that are trying to destroy central artifact or whatever, whoever survives the longest wins. A gauntlet race with monsters and hazards. A deadly dungeon with magic items/gold protected inside, teams have two days to retrieve as much as they can.

You can allow the teams to interfere with each other in some of these, but you might want to limit how much killing the other team helps, eg respawning in the 'fountain' after a couple turns. Alternatively if you want to have a big battle (which can definitely be good fun) you should probably make the rules appropriate for it.

Personally I think dropping magic items would be a shame, since they are the primary reward in this format.

As for rules for CTF. What comes to mind is drop action limitations on flag bearer, it takes 20 dmg to drop flag, players have resistance to all damage, and advantage on saving throws for first round (remove goal protection), and dead players revive (with 1 health) after a point is scored, allowing them to get a short rest and recover a bit. Main problem is this might take a long time to run, since there could be 5 different battles for each point. Also a bit heavy on the short rests.
    Last edited by urandom; 2019-03-26 at 02:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

A bug house style game would be fun too. Kill a monster? Pick a team to send a revived version at!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanted to add an addendum to my leaving.

I'm probably going to be back after a week or two. If this is still going then, I'll be more than willing to pick back up.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #300

If we need another party, I could also entermy 4x light cleric build. They would be the strongest non-coffeelock combat build I am aware of, but not that great at other things (unlike the order of the unicorn).

I would also be happy to forgo magic items for that team. They don't really need them.