The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Wouldn't that make him lose his Druid abilities, and thus be a really bad choice of a magic item for him?
    There's no mention in the PHB of a druid losing their abilities for wearing metal armor, just that they "will not" for their beliefs or whatever. If DM rules that he will not even in a minimal-RP game such as this, I'll just switch. Sage advice says that they just have a Taboo for it.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-18 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm sure that EB misses, but just in case (1d10)[9]

And Vicious mockery too? Geeze. (1d4)[3]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Recharge on fire breath for team BARD: (1d6)[3]

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    There's no mention in the PHB of a druid losing their abilities for wearing metal armor, just that they "will not" for their beliefs or whatever. If DM rules that he will not even in a minimal-RP game such as this, I'll just switch. Sage advice says that they just have a Taboo for it.
    Hmmm... I'm unsure how to rule on this. My gut says that this is a bad thing that you shouldn't do. That said, there's no RAW punishment for it at all, and it's even been clarified that the punishment is up the the DM and the world you're playing in, and in this world, there's really very little world to punish you.

So I'm not sure. I'll think it over and have a concrete ruling tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.
    Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

E8 Cursed Dungeon Run: Viktor Akkhan IC OOC Map

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Arkul's Dex Save (1d20-1)[2] And reminding myself that Arkul resists fire damage.

5. - Top - End - #155

bc56, temp HP doesn't stack. If you have THP and you get THP from another source, you can choose to have either one (e.g. I currently have 3 THP, then I get 5 THP from a bard, I can choose between having 3 THP or 5 THP), but you can't add them. Your players have at most 5 THP.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Not going to bother with the EB damage roll. XD
    But the healing word I will. (1d4+3)[7]
    Also since Arkul hit. He will divine smite the hound. (1d8)[1] And I'm not sure if Hell Hounds are fiends or not, but if it is (1d8)[6]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    bc56, temp HP doesn't stack. If you have THP and you get THP from another source, you can choose to have either one (e.g. I currently have 3 THP, then I get 5 THP from a bard, I can choose between having 3 THP or 5 THP), but you can't add them. Your players have at most 5 THP.
    Still more than zero.
    That's fine.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Also: Peren's Wis save,
    (1d20+2)[3]

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be fine with whatever you rule, even a cut out of my 5000 gold for it being plate
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Crap!

We ought to redo that whole fight
    Because I have two elves in my party
    And I forgot they were immune to magical sleep

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #161

RangerGuy

Since I'm seeing it being used, and it'll affect how I position my party going forward, are we using the optional DMG flanking rules that grant advantage for flanking?

If we are, it definitely affects where I place people going forward (and means I pretty much never have to Reckless Attack with Grodmur).

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Crap!

Oof same my bard died because of it

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Oof same my bard died because of it
    It would've changed everything from round 1.
    My rogue wouldn't have spent half the fight snoring.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #164

Crap!

Hoo boy, that's a big retcon.

Full disclosure, I'm pretty sure you're about to win. The bard and wizard have one spell each, the fighter is doing half damage until your full health rogue dies, you have everyone up, and I haven't even rolled the new Con saves yet (Bard and Wizard die if they fail both saves). That said, a lucky magic missile roll could turn that all around, and the fighter and wizard are (relatively) tanky enough to stall until they get said lucky rolls. I'll leave it up to you if you want to redo it all or not. I'll roll up the new post in either case (unless you say you want to redo it in the time when I'm writing the post, in which case I'll stop writing the post).

Also, my bad for not catching that. That's kind of a big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Since I'm seeing it being used, and it'll affect how I position my party going forward, are we using the optional DMG flanking rules that grant advantage for flanking?

If we are, it definitely affects where I place people going forward (and means I pretty much never have to Reckless Attack with Grodmur).
    I don't like the flanking rules. I think it makes it too easy to get advantage, makes rogues not-insignificantly more powerful, and obsoletes a number of class features (like Reckless Attack). They are in play for this round because GM used them, I ran with the numbers, and realized he was flanking several posts later. For the sake of consistency and not wanting to retcon a whole bunch of stuff, they can be used this round and this round only. In future challenges, flanking will not happen.

I was going to say something amounting to this after everybody had gotten through the gauntlet, but since it's being brought up now, this is what I think. Also, GM, this isn't an attack on you - I'm not blaming you for the flanking rules being in play (well, I am, but it's not a terrible thing). I probably should have clarified some time ago.

Also, you may have noticed a pattern - I miss things. If you really wanted to pull some sketchy stuff off, it's probably not that hard. Please don't? Thanks.

EDIT: To all, I'm off to class. IC updates will likely not happen for several hours.
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2019-03-18 at 04:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoo boy, that's a big retcon.

Full disclosure, I'm pretty sure you're about to win. The bard and wizard have one spell each, the fighter is doing half damage until your full health rogue dies, you have everyone up, and I haven't even rolled the new Con saves yet (Bard and Wizard die if they fail both saves). That said, a lucky magic missile roll could turn that all around, and the fighter and wizard are (relatively) tanky enough to stall until they get said lucky rolls. I'll leave it up to you if you want to redo it all or not. I'll roll up the new post in either case (unless you say you want to redo it in the time when I'm writing the post, in which case I'll stop writing the post).

Also, my bad for not catching that. That's kind of a big thing.

I don't like the flanking rules. I think it makes it too easy to get advantage, makes rogues not-insignificantly more powerful, and obsoletes a number of class features (like Reckless Attack). They are in play for this round because GM used them, I ran with the numbers, and realized he was flanking several posts later. For the sake of consistency and not wanting to retcon a whole bunch of stuff, they can be used this round and this round only. In future challenges, flanking will not happen.

I was going to say something amounting to this after everybody had gotten through the gauntlet, but since it's being brought up now, this is what I think. Also, GM, this isn't an attack on you - I'm not blaming you for the flanking rules being in play (well, I am, but it's not a terrible thing). I probably should have clarified some time ago.

Also, you may have noticed a pattern - I miss things. If you really wanted to pull some sketchy stuff off, it's probably not that hard. Please don't? Thanks.

EDIT: To all, I'm off to class. IC updates will likely not happen for several hours.
    We can keep it, I'm more frustrated at myself than wanting to actually redo all that.
    If this was a videogame and I was going for high score, I would reset, but that's not really necessary here. I think I've done really well despite the constant sleeps

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh lol. I wasn't sure since when I asked about it I never got an answer. Good to know for future though. I figured if you weren't using them you'd just use whatever I rolled first. XD

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I feel SUPER guilty when I do sketchy stuff. If, for example, I, on purpose, didn't track my hit points for even an attack that dealt some tiny amount like one damage, I would get guilty to the point of having to tell you in a totally freaked out and criminally apologetic way.

On flanking making Reckless Attack be irrelevant, it's still relevant in the situations where no party members can safely go to the other side of one creature, or if other party members are all down. I see how it makes rogues insanely powerful, assassin Rogue usually takes care of that.

I'm fine with it being gone.

Also, I get super guilty when I cheat at games, especially when it's a competition of some kind.

Edit: I need more sleep. I forgot I already mentioned this.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-18 at 05:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

5000 GP Budgeting:

Selling
    Sell old Rapier x3 (+37g 5s)
    Sell Light Crossbow x2 (+25g)
    Sell Healing Potion x2 (+50g)
    Add remainder funds (+20g 3s)

Total : 5132g 8s

Buying
    +1 Longsword (-1000g) for An'on
    +1 Rapier (-1000g) for Gretro
    +1 Rapier (-1000g) for Debian
    Lessee... That leaves 2132g 8s, right?
    A potion of speed each (-1600g)
    And hmm, since I have plenty of healing otherwise and my healers have high enough AC...
    Make Debian's Scale Mail Adamantine (-500g)
    and the last 32g 8s I split among them to 8g 2s.

19. - Top - End - #169

We can keep it, I'm more frustrated at myself than wanting to actually redo all that.
    If this was a videogame and I was going for high score, I would reset, but that's not really necessary here. I think I've done really well despite the constant sleeps
    Sounds good. And you have done well - I wasn't seeing bright things in your future after turn 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyMinstrel View Post
    Oh lol. I wasn't sure since when I asked about it I never got an answer. Good to know for future though. I figured if you weren't using them you'd just use whatever I rolled first. XD
    That's right, I forgot you mentioned that. I probably intended to say something and then forgot about it. Like I said, I miss things.

Oh, I feel SUPER guilty when I do sketchy stuff. If, for example, I, on purpose, didn't track my hit points for even an attack that dealt some tiny amount like one damage, I would get guilty to the point of having to tell you in a totally freaked out and criminally apologetic way.

On flanking making Reckless Attack be irrelevant, it's still relevant in the situations where no party members can safely go to the other side of one creature, or if other party members are all down. I see how it makes rogues insanely powerful, assassin Rogue usually takes care of that.

I'm fine with it being gone.

Also, I get super guilty when I cheat at games, especially when it's a competition of some kind.

Edit: I need more sleep. I forgot I already mentioned this.
    I'm absolutely the same way (both in the needing more sleep and the abhorring cheating thing). I like winning (a lot), but winning a competition by cheating isn't winning at the competition, it's winning at cheating.

To all, this week is gonna be hell for me (especially after I spent all spring break throwing imaginary wolves at sleeping elves instead of doing work ), so expect things to be slow(ish).

20. - Top - End - #170

Crit damage on the BARDS: (1d8)[7] + (2d6)[6] fire damage

21. - Top - End - #171

Recharge for the BARDS: (1d6)[6]

You know, I knew that the fighter took shield, but I couldn't remember for the life of me what the other spells he took were. Then I checked his sheet and saw that I gave him magic missile, and everything was better, even though the sneaky rogue stole his sword. And then I rolled minimum damage 3 times in a row.

Anyways, signing off for tonight.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorrow Wis save (1d20+1)[9]

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Oof. Good thing the hell hound had disadvantage on that hit. That would've been a nasty crit. (unless the darned thing crits on a 19) So when factoring in Damage resistance with an odd number such as 7, does that get knocked down to a 3 or a 4?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

(1d8)[4] Rain's weapon damage roll from the crit.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I am so glad I gave Orik the Healer feat. That just saved (or at least greatly helped) my bacon.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Somehow managed to forget to have Dusk use an action..... (Healing light is a bonus action) If it isn't too late to rectify that He'll cast guiding bolt at 2nd level.

(1d20+5)[12] (4d6)[16]

If it is too late, then ignore these numbers.

27. - Top - End - #177

Oof. Good thing the hell hound had disadvantage on that hit. That would've been a nasty crit. (unless the darned thing crits on a 19) So when factoring in Damage resistance with an odd number such as 7, does that get knocked down to a 3 or a 4?
    He does have disadvantage, so that's not a crit. For whatever reason, I thought it passed the save. It gets knocked down to 3.

Somehow managed to forget to have Dusk use an action..... (Healing light is a bonus action) If it isn't too late to rectify that He'll cast guiding bolt at 2nd level.

[roll0] [roll1]

If it is too late, then ignore these numbers.
    Generally, if I haven't posted yet, it's not too late to fix any mistakes.
    EDIT: You can keep that spell slot, though - Rain explodes the hell hound.
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2019-03-19 at 10:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Peren Wis save (1d20+2)[19]

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #179

Order of the Unicorn fire breath recharge: (1d6)[1]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

And forgot about Simp

Simp Init - (1d20+3)[20]