The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

Question: How will starting the next challenge work? Does everyone currently playing go through the first challenge before we move on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yet another hell hound recharge: (1d6)[2]
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.
    Hack and Slash Decathlon OOC

E8 Cursed Dungeon Run: Viktor Akkhan IC OOC Map

3. - Top - End - #183

And one more recharge roll for next time: (1d6)[2]

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Question: How will starting the next challenge work? Does everyone currently playing go through the first challenge before we move on?
    That's an excellent question. First off, it absolutely cannot start prior to Thursday night, when I get some free time for the first time this week to finalize the rules and map. Second, there's a couple ways this can happen. My intention was for everyone to play through a round, get ranked 1-8, then in the next round, 1 would play 8, 2 would play 7, and so on. Right now, we have 5 teams. This means that for CTF, someone doesn't have a partner. There's a few options:

A. One (or three) more people magically join and everything is flowers and rainbows.
    B. I kick someone.
    C. I make an extra party (or three) to play.
    D. One (or three) of you guys makes an extra party to play.
    E. One person gets a by for this round.

A is magic and fairly unlikely. B is the *easiest*, and also by far my least favorite. C is extra work for me, but doable. D is decent, but may risk collusion threats. E is effectively the same as B, because waiting murders PbP games.

I hadn't figured an answer to your question, and to the question of whether CTF would be 1v1, 2v2, or 4v4 (or if we get 6, 3v3) because I haven't yet figured an answer to this question. Ultimately, I think I'll leave it up to you guys, or at least hear your thoughts on the matter. If you have an alternative suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I had some grand aspirations floating around in my head with tournament seeding and the like, but as I noted earlier, waiting destroys PbP games.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

And a Wis save (1d20)[2]
    Although no matter what the fighter does, he probably won't do much to Orik
    Bear totem rules.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I could totally throw together a second party if that helps even things out. Probably something more traditional.

[strike]Especially since I anticipate team BARDS will be taking many more penalties and losses than rewards and victories.[/strike]

My only concern is what would happen if I had to face off against myself. (I like to think I can play unbiased, but...bards)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    And one more recharge roll for next time: [roll0]

That's an excellent question. First off, it absolutely cannot start prior to Thursday night, when I get some free time for the first time this week to finalize the rules and map. Second, there's a couple ways this can happen. My intention was for everyone to play through a round, get ranked 1-8, then in the next round, 1 would play 8, 2 would play 7, and so on. Right now, we have 5 teams. This means that for CTF, someone doesn't have a partner. There's a few options:

A. One (or three) more people magically join and everything is flowers and rainbows.
    B. I kick someone.

A is magic and fairly unlikely. B is the *easiest*, and also by far my least favorite. C is extra work for me, but doable. D is decent, but may risk collusion threats. E is effectively the same as B, because waiting murders PbP games.

I hadn't figured an answer to your question, and to the question of whether CTF would be 1v1, 2v2, or 4v4 (or if we get 6, 3v3) because I haven't yet figured an answer to this question. Ultimately, I think I'll leave it up to you guys, or at least hear your thoughts on the matter. If you have an alternative suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I had some grand aspirations floating around in my head with tournament seeding and the like, but as I noted earlier, waiting destroys PbP games.
    I was completely prepped for being either A) 1v1 against a party one time, B) against every party one time, or C) against a massive group of weakish NPCs one time. C felt the least plausible because jeez think of how long it would take to make an IC post with all those actions, also wouldn't expect you to remember where hidden foes were round-to-round for the purpose of surprise attacks. B you said we'll do one of, though what I was expecting was for that to be it for CTF. A kind of felt in between plausible, but I had some kind of impression that we wouldn't interact until the final 5-way PvP.

Further question: How will the CTF work, in essence? Is it a "grab the flag one time and take it to your goal, hey you win the round just like that", "grab the flag and return it to the goal, you get a point, the flag respawns at the middle, first to n points wins" or "V team and W team held it for 0 rounds, X team held the flag for 5 rounds, Y team held it for 3, and Z team held it for 7. Z team ranked 1, X team ranked 2, Y team ranked 3, W team and V team tied for last (4 and 5)"? How would transfer of the flag work? Do you physically grab it out of their hands, is it a reverse hot potato where hitting them with an attack gives it to you, or...?

Also just realized you said you're going to finalize the rules by then. Any which way I feel prepared for it. I took Haste on my bard and the Invisibility spell on my wizard for reasons.
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

And one more recharge roll for next time: [roll0]

B. I kick someone.

I was completely prepped for being either A) 1v1 against a party one time, B) against every party one time, or C) against a massive group of weakish NPCs one time. C felt the least plausible because jeez think of how long it would take to make an IC post with all those actions, also wouldn't expect you to remember where hidden foes were round-to-round for the purpose of surprise attacks. B you said we'll do one of, though what I was expecting was for that to be it for CTF. A kind of felt in between plausible, but I had some kind of impression that we wouldn't interact until the final 5-way PvP.

Further question: How will the CTF work, in essence? Is it a "grab the flag one time and take it to your goal, hey you win the round just like that", "grab the flag and return it to the goal, you get a point, the flag respawns at the middle, first to n points wins" or "V team and W team held it for 0 rounds, X team held the flag for 5 rounds, Y team held it for 3, and Z team held it for 7. Z team ranked 1, X team ranked 2, Y team ranked 3, W team and V team tied for last (4 and 5)"? How would transfer of the flag work? Do you physically grab it out of their hands, is it a reverse hot potato where hitting them with an attack gives it to you, or...?

Also just realized you said you're going to finalize the rules by then. Any which way I feel prepared for it. I took Haste on my bard and the Invisibility spell on my wizard for reasons.
    I also had that question.
    I honestly don't know since I may have assumed our parties would not meet until the massive PvP at the end. (Though I totally understand why that may not be what you were intending.)

I am literally throwing characters around for the fun of it, so I can be flexible with whatever. As long as I have the rules before I prep my team. XD

8. - Top - End - #188

Will reply to all the things in more detail tomorrow, but I had intended for most of the events to involve PvP. CTF is you guys versus each other, the race is you guys on a racetrack with no rules and the first person to cross the finish line wins, and so on. Of the 9 events I had planned, 6 are PvP. I had envisioned the last event to be a 1v1 tournament in a double elimination bracket, and the event right before that to be the massive all-versus-all battle royale.

Of course, any and all of this can change, I'm flexible.

EDIT: And CTF rules will likely be "grab the flag, have it in your goal for x rounds, get a point. First to y points wins" (x and y will likely be small numbers, probably 2 or 3).
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2019-03-20 at 12:47 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Ooo, so looking forward to the race now. We all elect our speedsters and cast Haste on them, and then we crab bucket each other with Slow spells.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I see that now, and admittedly it seems silly to me that I didn't think that to begin with. I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like it some of these events will be quite chaotic.

11. - Top - End - #191

RangerGuy

Yeah, definitely seems like these events are all designed as "you either take X, Y, and Z spells, or you lose automatically".

Like Capture the Flag. It's gonna be real anticlimactic (and honestly boring) if it's just each team's wizards running around invisible, grabbing the flag and running back to base. Whoever has the highest base movement speed wins. Win even faster if you have a friend cast Haste on you.

Kinda meh about it as a concept, honestly. I guess I have to change my spell choices over to Haste and Invisibility if I want my group to not just be a slaptoy for some other party, instead of taking other spells so that not every party is throwing the same stuff around.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Yeah, definitely seems like these events are all designed as "you either take X, Y, and Z spells, or you lose automatically".

Like Capture the Flag. It's gonna be real anticlimactic (and honestly boring) if it's just each team's wizards running around invisible, grabbing the flag and running back to base. Whoever has the highest base movement speed wins. Win even faster if you have a friend cast Haste on you.

Kinda meh about it as a concept, honestly. I guess I have to change my spell choices over to Haste and Invisibility if I want my group to not just be a slaptoy for some other party, instead of taking other spells so that not every party is throwing the same stuff around.
    What do you expect, for a race it's an advantage to be fast and have everyone else be slow, and with magic you can have just that. For CTF it's an advantage to not be seen as you do what you're doing. From my understanding winning all events before the big battle Royale means just a little bonus gp's and magic items. So don't sweat it.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-20 at 10:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright!
    Everybody takes 2 levels in the class they already had. Nice and simple.

Sorrow gets pipes of haunting
    Althaea gets a pearl of power
    Orik gets a +1 maul
    Peren gets a cloak of protection

And with my monies, I'll buy 3 suits of +1 studded leather armor, 2 potions of greater healing, and a potion of fire breath.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #194

RangerGuy

What do you expect, for a race it's an advantage to be fast and have everyone else be slow, and with magic you can have just that. For CTF it's an advantage to not be seen as you do what you're doing. From my understanding winning all events before the big battle Royale means just a little bonus gp's and magic items. So don't sweat it.
    Because you could easily make things different and more interesting by doing things like "for the race, everyone has to cross the finish line, not just your sprinter". Which means that more than one person in the party matters.

Or for CTF, have invisibility purge surrounding each flag so that you actually HAVE to support your flag grabber and work as a team instead of just having one character go off to do the objective while the other three hang out and distract.

Things like that which make things more interesting and make it so that every character in the party matters, not just the one you can buff the most. That's what I mean by anticlimactic and boring; not having to have your party work as a team to achieve the objective, but instead just superbuffing one person and having them go to town.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I mean...I may or may not be planning to take more defensive abilities and spells instead. (See Invisibility and such)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Because you could easily make things different and more interesting by doing things like "for the race, everyone has to cross the finish line, not just your sprinter". Which means that more than one person in the party matters.

Or for CTF, have invisibility purge surrounding each flag so that you actually HAVE to support your flag grabber and work as a team instead of just having one character go off to do the objective while the other three hang out and distract.

Things like that which make things more interesting and make it so that every character in the party matters, not just the one you can buff the most. That's what I mean by anticlimactic and boring; not having to have your party work as a team to achieve the objective, but instead just superbuffing one person and having them go to town.
    These are all good ideas and things I support. Would be unfun anyway in the race to run literally 165 ft. Per round thanks to speed potions, elk totem, cunning action, and skirmisher
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-20 at 01:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Ok, here's my proposed CTF rules, and a few proposed maps.

Spoiler: CTF Rules
    Show
    Basic rules:
    Grab the flag and get it into your goal. Keep it there for 2 rounds to get a point. First to 3 points wins. There will be no time at the beginning to buff. You may take a short rest after each point, but you cannot cast any spells during this rest.

Goal rules:
    Goals are the colored areas on the left and right of the arena. You start on any square within this arena. Characters within a goal are completely invincible. They cannot be targeted with any harmful spell (unless the target agrees). If they are in the AoE of any spell or other effect, they automatically pass their saving throw, take no damage, and are unaffected (unless the target chooses to be affected). No enemy player may enter your goal. Goals lose all protections if the flag is behind the nearest wall or closer to the goal. The flag only counts as being in the goal if it is being held.

Wall rules:
    A character standing behind a wall can duck behind it as a free action for half cover. A character can also duck behind it to hide as per the normal stealth rules. They can remain in stealth as long as they remain on the row behind the wall. The enemy team gets one perception roll to detect a hidden character per round, at advantage. Walls are impassable, but do not block line of sight or effect.

Flag rules:
    The flag (the purple ĎFí) takes an action to pick up. Picking up the flag causes you to stop moving for the rest of the round. While holding the flag, you cannot attack or cast any spells. Picking up the flag reveals you, and a character holding the flag cannot benefit from any sort of concealment or cover, magical or otherwise. Taking 10 or more damage in a single round causes you to drop the flag, as does becoming subject to a crowd control effect, including but not limited to: blind, charm, fear, paralysis, stun, incapacitation, or death. The flag can be passed off as an action (e.g. a rogue is holding a flag, and standing next to a wizard. The rogue can spend their action passing the flag to the wizard, or the wizard can spend their action taking it from the rogue). Picking up the flag in this manner does not end your movement, as long as the flag has not yet moved this round (this is to prevent the rogue from running 30 feet, passing it to the wizard who runs it 30 feet, who passes it to the fighter and so on). Holding the flag causes the knights to wake up.

Knight rules:
    The two knights (the purple ĎKí) are neutral units that act against the team that holds the flag. They will pursue the character holding the flag, and attempt to bring it back to the center. They are subject to the same flag rules as PCs.

Spoiler: Big Map
    Show

Spoiler: Small Map
    Show

The reason for the two maps is the bigger map was what I had initially made, but then I realized it was massive and would take 10 turns to go across, so I made the smaller map. Any and all feedback and rules suggestions are welcome.

One thing I didn't address is initiative. We could have each character act on their own initiative, but then it could take potentially 8+ posts to finish a single round and that sounds painful. I had a couple ideas:
    1. We do the thing I just said.
    2. You average your init bonuses, and do a single roll.
    3. You add up your init bonuses, and do a single roll.
    4. You roll for each character. Whoever rolls highest goes first. The other person averages their init values, and inserts all 4 of their characters into the initiative order at that init value.

I'm leaning towards 4, but I'm open to opinions.

I'm thinking this will be 3 1v1s. Either urandom (new replier to the recruitment thread) can play the 6th, or SleepyMinstrel can make a party (or someone else, he's just already said he's willing). Who plays against who will be determined by rank. 1st place picks who they want to play against, then 2nd place does, and so on.

Also, for advantages, I was thinking that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (of this previous round) each get a +1 (or more, unsure) to init, and I'll PM the Knight stats to Janwin for his special 1st place prize.

One other rule I was considering was that holding the flag automatically dispels all active spells on you, and you cannot be the target of any magical healing or buff spells, but that seemed a bit too cruel and restrictive.

As far as certain spells being incredibly advantageous, that's very true, and one of the reasons why I'm giving you the rules prior to the challenge. That said, I think (or at least hope) that I've written enough nuance into the rules to provide several feasible ways to play the game.

Regarding the race, I did actually consider requiring the entire team to cross the line, but I didn't want to make having a dead character be an auto-loss. I also didn't want to do that and then ignore dead characters, because then teams get their speedster across the line and race to see who can commit ritual suicide the fastest, and while amusing, that's not exactly the point of the challenge. We could split the difference, and make it require 2 characters across the finish line. That said, that's all on the other side of CTF, so I'll worry about it then.

I think this replies to everything. If I missed a thing, let me know.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you rule about picking up the flag remotely, say by Mage Hand?

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    How do you rule about picking up the flag remotely, say by Mage Hand?
    No. A PC has to pick up the flag; a summoned creature, Mage Hand, Unseen Servant, familiar, and other similar things cannot.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

That's a lot of things that I will have to try to remember.

wis save - (1d20+2)[3] PLease dice gods be kind to me.

*edit* they were not kind. Arkul fails 2 death saves. I think I just lost before it even began.
    Last edited by SleepyMinstrel; 2019-03-20 at 06:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyMinstrel View Post
    That's a lot of things that I will have to try to remember.
    Most of the rules are just me being overly pedantic and rules-lawyery. The big takeaways are the basics rules, it takes an action to grab the flag, and you can't attack or cast spells while holding the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyMinstrel View Post
    [roll0] PLease dice gods be kind to me.
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... that's terrible.

EDIT: How does he fail the death saves? Doesn't the DW kill him?
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2019-03-20 at 06:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Wait, no he doesn't fail saves yet. Dissonant whisper drops him so he can't take the AOO

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I just need to know if I dropped anyone before Rain acts.

24. - Top - End - #204

Charles, take a position in the room.

SleepyMinstrel, you can hit all 4, but you will also hit Arkul. I'm sure you knew, just pointing it out. EDIT: This thing I said was a lie.

Fire breath saves: DC 12 Dex for 4-8 damage:
    Wizard: (1d20+3)[9]
    Rogue: (1d20+5)[22]
    Fighter: (1d20+1)[6]
    Bard: (1d20+3)[8]

Shatter saves: DC 13 Con save for 8-16 damage:
    Wizard: (1d20+2)[16]
    Rogue: (1d20+3)[16]
    Fighter: (1d20+4)[15]
    Bard: (1d20+2)[6]

EDIT: That is exactly enough damage to drop the bard. Everyone else is still up.
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2019-03-20 at 08:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Whew. Not out of the woods yet, but that seriously helps.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

cutting words on fighter's attack - (1d6)[2]

Probably won't be enough, but worth a shot.

*Edit* not enough
    Last edited by SleepyMinstrel; 2019-03-20 at 10:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

DC 13 Wis save for Vicious Mockery: (1d20+3)[19]

28. - Top - End - #208

And with that, we have 4 people through the gauntlet!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

WOOOOOO! It's a really good thing I have so much healing magic on my team. That would have gone so horribly without it.
    I'll work on getting everyone leveled and equipped today.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

And with that, we have 4 people through the gauntlet!
    Please don't start the next phase just yet, I want to make some changes to my spell choices first.

My Nexus characters