New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default What happens if you get pure sodium in your eye?

Will pure sodium explode in your eye? Will it react in some other way?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What happens if you get pure sodium in your eye?

For pure sodium to properly "explode" it would kinda need to be fully enveloped in water.

However it would at least burn a hole through an human eye and it would be a pretty messy result either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on length of contact. If you were smacked in the eye with it, it's highly unlikely to be explosive and would result in a bad chemical burn to the eye through the formation of sodium hydroxide.

If it were intentionally held and forced into the eye, then if it got into the internal vitreous humour, it would 'explode'. This would take time since the sodium hydroxide has to eat through the external eye tissue and sodium is too soft to effectively stab someone in the eye with.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just the natural tears on the surface of the eye ought to be sufficient for the sodium to react, though, and it's going to get very hot--so it would probably burn through the tissue without needing to be sharp. Especially since the body's natural reaction to having something shoved in the eyeball is to generate more tears!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

This would be a very, very silly thing to do. If you hated someone enough that you wanted one of their eyes destroyed, you'd probably want them dead, which this wouldn't do. If it was a punishment, there are other ways to destroy eyes some of which would probably be cheaper.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    This would be a very, very silly thing to do. If you hated someone enough that you wanted one of their eyes destroyed, you'd probably want them dead, which this wouldn't do. If it was a punishment, there are other ways to destroy eyes some of which would probably be cheaper.
    Probably something like 18-20 years ago, at my high school, some bullies wanted to blind a girl*. So they stole hydrocloric acid and lye from the science lab, mixed it together, and threw it in her face.
    Fortunately, they were bad at science and didn't realize that mixing a strong acid and strong base essentially makes soapy water. So it hurt, and I'm not sure how bad a punishment they got, but she was okay.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Probably something like 18-20 years ago, at my high school, some bullies wanted to blind a girl*
    What?!?! Actually permanently disfigure somebody? In high school?!

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    What?!?! Actually permanently disfigure somebody? In high school?!
    Never underestimate stupid.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Stupid is accidentally hitting someone in the face with glorified salt water when trying to blind them with an acid or base. Actually attempting to carry out an acid (or base) attack? That's closer to evil.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Stupid is accidentally hitting someone in the face with glorified salt water when trying to blind them with an acid or base. Actually attempting to carry out an acid (or base) attack? That's closer to evil.
    In my experience, those two are not exclusive.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    In my experience, those two are not exclusive.
    I'm not saying they are - and this particular incident is a classic par of the overlap. I just want the acid attack part attributed where it belongs.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Usually I attribute this kind of incidents to an epic level of lack of foresight. Essentielly yes, the goal was to hurt someone very intentionally so evil. At the same time, the perpetrators did not consider the severity or permanence of the damage they tried to inflict so weapon-grade stupidity. In fact, any kind of consideration rarely happens, when base social instincts kick in (bullying is a primitve form of gaining social position or a way of strenghtening a group through a common enemy/victim). Still, utterly despicable and not in a fun way.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is that acid attacks are a whole known thing - often a close cousin to honor killings, where permanent disfiguration (and often blindness) is the point. Maybe the bullies just hadn't heard about it, maybe they had and were trying to do exactly that. I lean towards the latter.

-- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The thing is that acid attacks are a whole known thing - often a close cousin to honor killings, where permanent disfiguration (and often blindness) is the point. Maybe the bullies just hadn't heard about it, maybe they had and were trying to do exactly that. I lean towards the latter.
    Oh... that does change the perspective.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I'll also share the story of a girl who wanted to bleach her hair blonde, but I guess her folks wouldn't let her buy the product. So she stole bleach from the lab.
    Fortunately, the bleach in the high school lab was watered down enough that it just made her bald (temporarily), not enough to eat through her skin or skull.

Our chemistry teacher liked to tell us stories of former students' stupidity. (He also told us that he was going to tell us how to make a nuke, and what chemicals to use to completely dissolve a human corpse, but he got in trouble the year before for telling students that, so that was a no-go. He was a fun teacher.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Heat vision. You`d get heat vision just before your eyes melted out of your head.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Oh... that does change the perspective.
    Esp. given that the person who told us about the situation specifically said that their intent was to blind the girl. Definitely evil.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".