New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What would GLaDOS build in your D&D world?

So as the title hints, some time back one of my players invested in bestowing intelligence upon a Lyre of Building. By setting-established magickery, they placed the soul of a Bard into the item. A Bard with plenty of Perform: Lyre, as well as several appropriate Craft and Knowledge skills. So, presented with a Lyre of Building that can play itself indefinitely, which the players then proceed to lose... What would it build?

Sidenote: I already have established what it built in my world, and the players are slowly discovering the resultant megadungeon. I'm just curious to see what different minds come up with.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-03-18 at 03:28 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: What would GLaDOS build in your D&D world?

Can you give more information on said bard who's soul possesses the lyre? That would have a pretty big impact on what it would be building. For example a lecherous womanizing bard might build bathhouses for women, narcissistic bard might spend its time building statues of itself all over the world...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

My first reaction to this is that it's the fantasy version of V'Ger.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    So as the title hints, some time back one of my players invested in bestowing intelligence upon a Lyre of Building. By setting-established magickery, they placed the soul of a Bard into the item. A Bard with plenty of Perform: Lyre, as well as several appropriate Craft and Knowledge skills. So, presented with a Lyre of Building that can play itself indefinitely, which the players then proceed to lose... What would it build?

Sidenote: I already have established what it built in my world, and the players are slowly discovering the resultant megadungeon. I'm just curious to see what different minds come up with.
    An ever-expanding glass citadel with impeccable acoustics, heavily themed around kaleidoscopes and windchimes. Pipes run through it in such a way that the wind approximates the playing of an organ. Music fills the endless halls and a constant shimmering rainbow cascade of light streams through it, even starlight is multiplied enough to effectively light the structure. An immortal musical instrument with the capacity to manifest its will as architecture?

Yeah, music made manifest.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

5. - Top - End - #5

The biggest concert hall in all the world. Seats that stretch to the sky, an economy just for the audience yo never stop listening, even as whilst they
    sit in their chairs their bindings grow tighter and they can never leave
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the Lyre has True Creation at will as well the answers differ. Ladder to the moon, a planet, Dyson sphere.

But just with a stock LoB? Roads. Roads everywhere. All buildings are repaired and upgraded. All Underdark access points start getting air locked guard forts.

Good fences make good neighbors so border walls and fortifications spring up.

Underdark roads and aquifers and aqueducts.

Domed cities. Colosseums. The Thunderdome.

Mundane Rube Goldberg machines spanning vast areas the end result of which is inane but also epic, like the bard's signature carved into a rock face.

Extra layers of defenses blocking passage to dangerous entities. Dragon lairs and liche's tombs get extra traps and locks and beefed up doors.

As madness starts setting in or when the item is possessed or corrupted things could start getting real weird real fast.
    Mundane structures that are really deathtraps, the movie The Cube, a hole to the center of the world. Disneyworld.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drakevarg View Post
    An ever-expanding glass citadel with impeccable acoustics, heavily themed around kaleidoscopes and windchimes. Pipes run through it in such a way that the wind approximates the playing of an organ. Music fills the endless halls and a constant shimmering rainbow cascade of light streams through it, even starlight is multiplied enough to effectively light the structure. An immortal musical instrument with the capacity to manifest its will as architecture?

I feel like anyone who enters would automatically be dazed...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, if I were inspired by Portal for something like this, I would just make the dungeon a massive Portal reference and make the players run through a series of insane test chambers full of experimental magic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don't know your bard's personality, but GLaDOS is a sadist, or at the very least does not have much regard for human life while also having a compulsive need to run tests due to her core programming. So if you're going for something/someone like her, it would basically entail a boatload of traps of steadily increasing complexity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Apature Science or Apature MagiTek. For science. We do what we must. Because we can.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Drakevarg View Post

Oh. My god. Her canonical origins are repairing a city named Glassrock for a blue dragon with a god complex (well, it used to be Redrock before a wizard with a bigger complex dominated her for a few weeks, flying her around and paving all surrounding desert in glass for a mile in every direction). This fits so perfectly I'm stealing it. Not ever-expanding, but still her home citadel.

So, the megadungeon so far has been a massive city-like structure, a lot of bare rooms. But they're only just getting started. Last night, after about two years of poking at this dungeon, they finally opened the door to the next section. Each sector is themed around a plane, so I'm going to have a lot of fun with that. However, as they get deeper, they are in fact going to find at least one sector that is basically Portal (Mechanus, anyone?).
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.