New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: It Stares Back IC

"The spell he used to escape the scene doesn't allow him to get far. If we are lucky and have a decent tracker among us I could draw up a search area. It's a long shot but it is the best idea I have at the moment".

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner
    HP: 9/9
    Concentrating on: --
    Conditions: --

"I am a tracker." Kon says with a second of Dorkas' words. And then immediately points a finger at her chest. "Me." and then immediately again, "I can track things." Almost as if she thinks Dorkas maybe needs to be told the point multiple times since he didn't pick it up even though it was part of their introduction just a few moments ago.

"Tell me about this spell. It will help me know where to look." As she says this she gets about an inch or two away from Dorkas and makes a 'looking around' gesture. Just to make sure he understands she can track things.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

As long as the others don't have problem with it you two can join us, but I don't think I am empowered to add you to the guild contract, so you won't necessarily get paid for it if you care. That said, they sometimes will give post-hoc rewards to people who help them carry out bounties without contract, so you might get paid, but I can't promise anything until we get to a guildhall, and I don't think that there are many in this area. So... yeah... Alston shrugs a bit apologetically.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't need pay," Sable says, "What matters is that the villainous summoner be brought to justice. I will accompany you."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #215

Lizardfolk

"Can someone get me a map and we will get started?"
    Dorkas looks at Kon.
    "The spell itself is far beyond my capability but my father told me about it. It opens a Dimensional Door to allow one to travel from one place to another but only roughly 500 feet away".
    Last edited by Lank; 2019-05-14 at 07:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

"Ooooooooooooh." Kon replies and then gives a nod and begins looking around for tracks with this new information.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since Heart's player has been active and responding to various threads all over, I'm going to assume that he's no longer interested in continuing this campaign.

Rorrick
    It will take Kon and any assistance a long time (an hour or more) to search the entire area in a 500ft radius.

The town is mostly deserted and the townspeople recognise Kon and Sable as people who were helping out, they might have a few minor grievances if they poke into peoples homes but they won't have much trouble obtaining the freedom they require to do their job.

Asking around, Dorkas will be able to find a map which I'll need some time to actually draw.

After their investigation, they discover that the bard most likely found refuge in an alleyway the next street over from the main festival. He then travelled to a stable where he grabbed a horse and cart and left town towards Steppen.

The tracks are old and worn, but if there's no immediate rush from the party then the information can be easily obtained.

After discovering this, Captain Sullister finds them and strikes a conversation. "Had word that you've been looking around for tracks. Found anything useful?" He'll also ask what you plan to do with whatever information you disclose with him.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

Kon "helpfully" describes for the captain the whole tracking experience up until the end.

9. - Top - End - #219

Lizardfolk

"Well at least we know he can be captured. He will have to stop for rest at some point". Dorkas says inquisitivly. "Horse would need rest too".

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Loraxina

Lora had been quiet for a while, but did agree that there would be a need to go find the one that had used the dimensional door in that way.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

"We should go quickly. The longer we wait, the further away he gets," Sable points out.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Rorrick

Sullister looks around at the group. "You're all planning to go? This, I appreciate." There's a pause.
    "As so many of our people have perished in this slaughter, there's some resources that can be used more effectively in your hands. The entire staff of one of the stables has perished, if you wish you may each take a horse to speed you on your way."
    Sullister also offers any mundane equipment they might need. This includes any simple weapons, rations, water, basic equipment (anything can be found in the equipment packs on PHB151 you may stock up on). There's enough horses for all of you including saddles and two saddlebags each.

Steppen and Rorrick mark the south west of a land and there's nothing but a harsh, rocky coast further towards the edge. The nearest town to both is Turnan. It's north west of Steppen and North East of Rorrick. The traveller came from further west of Rorrick from the town of Erlla. Sullister seems to think the best bet is heading northward before any more carnage is unleashed at Turnan.

There's a tasker outpost there.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

"Horsie!" Kon shouts enthusiastically and runs off to examines the horses. She quickly picks one out, a black and white pinto, and says, "I will call your Marble!" After petting the horse for a bit she gets along to collecting some equipment.

Spoiler
    Show

Stuff she's taking if this is all ok (or tell me where I'm going overboard):
    Food and water for the horse.
    60 bolts
    9 waterskins full of water
    50 rations
    3 daggers
    150 feet of rope
    5 bottles of ink
    5 pens
    50 sheets of paper
    5 things of sealing wax
    20 pitons
    10 torches
    2 sets of fine clothes
    8 soaps
    5 perfumes
    20 flasks of oil
    1 hooded lantern
    1 blanket
    5 bags of ball bearings
    20 feet of string
    10 blocks of incense
    1 censer

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Loraxina

Lora looked for the more 'eyecatching' kind of horse, finding any chestnut-brown or sandy-blonde horse to be more for her appeal. Primarily because she's seen way more than just a few steeds of the more muted and dull tones.... being from the Shadowfell and all, herself.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225

Lizardfolk

Dorkas pets his horse. A dark brown mare. He seems a bit nervous about riding. His father had taught him, but it had been years since he rode on horseback. He was a city slicket through and through. This more rugged way of life didn't really suit him, but he pushed on anyway.

"No time to lose, we have to catch that bastard before he kills again".

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Sable gathers up enough food and water for the trip and chooses a grey mare. She carefully loads the horse's saddlebags. She also speaks with Sullister one last time. "You have my thanks. Is there anything else I can do here before we leave?"

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

On the Road

It's about a week to Turnan, the road is rather simple and is mildly populated by travelling traders, adventurers, guild representatives and the like.

Along the road there are several set out camp sites, there's pre-dug fire pits surrounded with stones, places where tents have obviously been set up and left over firewood from previous groups.

There's often people staying here for the night, raiders and creatures are less likely to attack larger groups of travellers. These spots have also been chosen as good places to protect yourself from an ambush.

Around the four day mark, the group arrives at a tavern that works as a sort of road house. There's plenty of places to keep horses, wagons and other travelling gear. There's already several wagons and carts parked around the building, with horses tied up.

Inside is about as busy as one would expect from seeing what's outside. There's expensive rooms here but it's commonplace to simply camp near the building.
    There's several different types here that look like traders, vagabonds, workers and caravan guards.

In the corner sits a lone male, his clothes are rather filthy and his brown cloak is covered in dirt and mud stains. He minds a mug of ale and smokes from his pipe as he pierces the group with his gaze.

Anything the party would like to do while you're here?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

During the travel Kon would have sniffed at each person at least once each day to familiarize herself with their scents and made little comments like, "Oh I thought it was just that place, but you always have that old blood scent" about Sable or "Why do you smell of long dead things?" about Loraxina to herself*.
    If anyone shared a tent with her she would have cuddled up to them to sleep if they allowed. And if they didn't she would have tried to arrange to share tents with someone else who might.

When they arrived at the tavern she immediately tries to go exploring the place.

Spoiler
    Show

*I'm happy to say whatever comments she would have about the smells of the others but I'm not entirely sure who is and isn't in the game at this point.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Loraxina

Lora would give Kon a raised eyebrow at the sniffing. "I do not. Might smell of vague things and possibly a whole lack of smell. I'm not from the realm of undeath or anything like that." Was all that Lora gave in response.

-------------

Upon reaching the Tavern and quickly noticing the odd male staring at them all, Lora gave a chilling return-gaze, the cold-silvery Grey of her eyes almost luminous in the dim light inside the tavern.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

Lizardfolk

Dorkas travels well. It is quite obvious he is very confident in himself. But when he thinks no one is looking he can be caught constantly looking over his shoulder, just checking if he is being followed. Can never be too careful. It is pretty clear for the new party members that Dorkas only has one true love; gold. It becomes clear that his lust for gold is only rivaled by his lust for women, grog and gambling. That conveniently explains why he doesn't have a lot of gold as well.
    If it is not too cold Dorkas elects to sleep under the stars rather than his tent. He still sets up his tent anyway just to be on the safe side though.

Once at the roadhouse Dorkas has his spirits lifted. Nothing like a nice mug of ale to wash away the taste of rations. Dorkas gives the grubby man in the corner a sly eye.
    "Watch that one, he looks like someone who would stick a knife in your guts for a copper".

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Sable finds Kon's behavior odd and disquieting at best. During the journey, she polishes her armor late into the night every day, staying up until she is sure it is perfectly clean, and praying to the Red Knight all the while.

At the inn, Sable pays little heed to the stranger. She's busy scanning the crowd for a certain half-elf.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #232

While traveling, Alston will have cooked for the party every day (mostly stew and other things that can be made with scavenged greens and rehydrated jerky). They would also probably notice that every morning he will use a smaller pot to carefully mix up a few concoctions and dip wire frames or small bottles into them (spell prep). When Kon sniffed him, he was probably cooking. He smells a bit like smoke, a bit like seasoning, and a bit like raw metal. When he notices Kon sniffing he holds up a pot and says, "Does this smell good to you?" (It probably does)

EDIT: I totally misread something and have retconned my reaction. The real reaction will be posted below.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-05-31 at 11:00 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Halfway Inn

The trip is rather enjoyable, if it weren't for the circumstances. It's a quiet and pleasant journey.

The shady man finishes his drink and approaches the bar. He makes no secret that he's eyeballing the party. His gaze doesn't break until he reaches the bar. He orders an ale, gets it then sits back down.

What's the plan for the night? I'm happy to play it out or we can skip to more interesting matters.

24. - Top - End - #234

Alston makes a mental note about the dirty man, and, making an effort to avoid him, goes up to the counter to ask about room pricing and food options.
    ...as the mists of time swirl to correct themselves...

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Halfway Inn

Kon, exploring around will be barraged with a variety of different smells. Lots of people won't even notice her sniffing them as it's rather rowdy in some groups. There's various strong alcohols: wines, spirits, ales. There's a fair amount of food though most of it seems to be prepared in bite sizes as it saves on a lot of mess when it's busy.
    She will also get a lot of smells of various body odours and people who keep themselves less than presentable.
    She may attempt to get into the kitchen, however her first endeavour will be short lived and she will be chased out by the cook. "Oi! No patrons in the back! Get!"
    Any other attempts will be blocked immediately. They seem to be keeping a keen eye on the door now.

If she wanders up and smells the man who is staring at the group, he has an intense odour of blood being partially masked by the alcohol on his breath.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

Kon sniffed many things. Rooms, objects, people. She'd saved the best, the kitchen for last. At being rebuffed she goes over to Sable and whines and points to the kitchen, "Saaaaable. They wouldn't let me iiiiiinnnn!" and gives her sad wet eyes as if this was somehow extremely unreasonable and unfair and done solely just to crush her dreams.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Sable rolls her eyes. "Of course not. You're not a member of their staff, why would they let you in. Do most taverns you visit allow strangers into their kitchens?"

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Kon
    Shifter Summoner

Kon looks like she's thinking hard, looks around at the inn, and says, "So far.... no." Then she pauses and says, "That guy over there in the corner spells even more bloody than you."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Loraxina

Lora tsk'd and shook her head gently at Kon's shinanigans.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

"Interesting," Over the journey, Sable has grown tired of protesting the repeated comments about her smell. She brushes this one off and focuses on the stranger. "But unless he causes us trouble, I don't see a reason to bother him about it."

My Nexus characters