New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Elven Spell Lore + Venomfire

Greetings, all!

Player's Handbook II has a feat called Elven Spell Lore which, amongst other things, allows a prepared caster to choose what energy type to use for a single energy spell. Venomfire normally does acid damage, but can instead do other types of damage like fire, cold, eletricity, sonic, force, positive energy, and possibly more.

This is useful just in case you want to make venomfire even more powerful.

EDIT: This post lists types of damage (Acid, City, Force, etc.) officially presented in 3.5.

Official 3.5 Errata for Player's Handbook II doesn't specify exactly what damage types are allowed. Seemingly, any official damage type is allowed.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2019-03-23 at 02:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Elven Spell Lore + Venomfire

Doesnt Energy Substitution do that better? I mean it works for spontaneous casters too. And it works on every spell you have, not just one (granted, prepared casters need to pick...).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Albions_Angel View Post
    Doesnt Energy Substitution do that better? I mean it works for spontaneous casters too. And it works on every spell you have, not just one (granted, prepared casters need to pick...).
    It does, but also requires another metamagic feat as a prereq. Energy Substitution's energy type is set when you take it, while Elven Spell Lore can set the type when you prepare the spell. There's also the +2 bonus on dispel checks, if you took it for a dispel-heavy build.

Energy Affinity from the Miniatures Handbook does something similar, but has different prereqs.

Note: you can't change the damage type to sonic or force. Sonic isn't listed as an option in the text of either feat in 3.5, and force isn't technically an energy type in 3.5.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Didn’t Elven Spell Lore get errataed to only allow changes to the four basic energy types?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Errata did not limit the feat to the 'four basic types.'
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Didn’t Elven Spell Lore get errataed to only allow changes to the four basic energy types?
    The errata made it only change to energy types (which by PHB's glossary and by RC means fire/cold/acid/electricity/sonic), but sonic's not forbidden. So change "four" to "five" and you're right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    The errata made it only change to energy types (which by PHB's glossary and by RC means fire/cold/acid/electricity/sonic), but sonic's not forbidden. So change "four" to "five" and you're right.
    You are correct. Elven Spell Lore allows you to change the energy type to "sonic". For some reason, I thought the text spelled out which energy types, as with Energy Substitution. That feat only lists acid/cold/fire/electricity as eligible energy types, but Elven Spell Lore doesn't contain the same language.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    You are correct. Elven Spell Lore allows you to change the energy type to "sonic". For some reason, I thought the text spelled out which energy types, as with Energy Substitution. That feat only lists acid/cold/fire/electricity as eligible energy types, but Elven Spell Lore doesn't contain the same language.
    So the fleshraker's claws make the sound of squeaking chalk whenever they hit now?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    So the fleshraker's claws make the sound of squeaking chalk whenever they hit now?
    Nah, that's [Mind-Affecting][Sonic], rather than sonic damage. Earplugs work against [Mind-Affecting][Sonic] effects.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.