New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Inside 68: Dawn of a New Season (or two)

[Industrial Park - Beneath]

Muun pulls out Jaahlyn's gun and aims it at whatever monster is closest. A stray bolt of electricity hits him in the arm, but he shrugs it off.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Non-stealth it is!
    Jaahlyn pulls out her flute and starts playing a new melody as she moves after the group in a flighty fashion. Her hooves together with her humanoid body seem to be able to almost jump with each step as they push against the ground. Her jumpy movements make her seem much lighter than a person of her size should be, especially as she seems to be able to potentially move rather fast this way, yet chooses not to.

Instead, the remains in the back and starts to move in a semi circle around the fighters while she plays her melody.

Said melody will start to attract the spells towards her rather than their intended targets. In fact, the mages will likely be able to tell that all spells in the area is slowly starting to move towards the hoofed hooded woman. All that flashy magical energy, the ice shards, the lighting, the fireballs, a lot of it will start to swirl after her like sheep after a shepherd.

Quick spells that don't need to travel very far or build up energy will remain unaffected but that blizzard they're trying to cast? It might prove difficult as the melody seem to be pulling away the magic they're gathering for the spell. This might also have unintended consequences for the ritual they're cooking up.

[Docks - Sewers]

To Anika, the goal seemed pretty obvious. "'kay, let's burn all the flesh-stuff we see I guess. Plus anything alive we see, like rats and stuff. I can provide some light but that's pretty much it as i probably don't want to get close to all that icky stuff." Anika shudders. "Had to blow up a whole boat to get rid of 'em."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-04-30 at 05:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Streets]

"I dunno, detectives are like...hard boiled and classy. I'm not either one of those things. I'm too casual. I go around with my gut showing and with an oversized key and a rude talking sword."
    A very rude talking sword.
    Sam tries to subtly guide Lucy to the left so they can avoid going down some worrying back alleys.
    [Intersection HQ]

On this dreary, misty morning, Officer Wilfred Dibbles is called away from the office library into his sergeant’s office. No warning, and no explanation other than a memo about “further assignments.”
    The mage will find the hallway mostly quiet. Most of Division T has already gone out on their assignments or are quiet at their desks.

Except for Sergeant Dabrain, who sounds like he’s yelling at someone over the phone. As usual. The sound-suppressed walls have paid for themselves five times over. Eventually the talking dies down and Dibs has a chance to go in.
    [Streets]

Ah, dubious looking alleyways. Just like old times. Probably a good idea to avoid those. Thankfully it is quite easy to redirect Lucy from going anywhere possibly-dangerous. Well, more dangerous than the average street of Inside anyway.

"You could do classy if you waaanted to!" Lucy counters, turning off down a random side-street, meandering vaguely in the direction of shops. Probably. Eventually.

[Intersection HQ]

Outside the HQ, Ithuriel gives a weary sigh as she follows Brokenfang in, hoping all goes well

Meanwhile: Officer Dibbles packs his books away with some reluctance into his satchel and marches (well, marches is maybe a bit strong a word. More sort of hurriedly scurries along) off to Sergeant Dabrain's office, staff tapping against the hallway floor as he goes. If Sergeant Dabrain wanted to see him, that meant Sergeant Dabrain wanted to shout at him about something. What had he done wrong this time?

Mercifully un-yak'd at the moment, Wilfred nervously pokes his slightly waifish, bespectaled face round the corner and peers into Dabrain's office. "Y'wanted to see me, Sergeant?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. - Top - End - #184

Oh good.

Morning Glory's cheatery worked. Having cheatery on-hoof is always great. While pummeling problems until they aren't problems anymore works sometimes, it isn't unusual that less smashy solutions are more practical. It would be nice if the whole violence part weren't needed here. Morning has no issue with talking problems out. But from what she's learned of these creatures (especially at End of the Rainbow) she's pretty sure they they wouldn't be even a little bit receptive to a thoughtful discussion on the merits of not being horrible.

So.

Smashy it is.

She's pretty agile all on her own. And she knows that with projectile attacks like these it's less about dodging and more about not being where your foe is aiming. It helps that Jaahlyn's melody is pulling the lightning blasts off target. All together, she closes the gap in a hurry with little more than a comically frizzed mane from a close miss for her trouble. With frightful strength, she aims to bring hoof into the gut of one of the cultists. Should the blow connect, there will be a flash of incandescent power followed by the poor fellow getting launched off their feet and very possibly into the ceiling.

Considering how large the cavern is, that has a few things to say about the force of the impact.

Should the cultist survive, there will be a hearty helping of additional blasts of searing arcane power to encourage them to stay down (or possibly be a fine heap of ash).

[House Hunters]

The bedrooms, a ballroom, the conservatory, the game room, and of course the library.

Oh.

And the creepy attic.

Can't forget that.

Where shall our heroes investigate first?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

”I mean, you’ve seen my suit. It fits perfectly but...I don’t really know if it’s me. I’m big and blue and have a natural mane and I dunno I just don’t think I can pull off that sort of thing.”

If they’re lucky they’ll come onto one of the small boutique streets momentarily.

Intersection HQ

At the front desk is a familiar plump tiger-woman typing at a desk.
    “Good afternoon Officer. Got someone for us?” She asks cheerily.
    ———

The inside of the sergeant’s office is its usual compulsively clean. Everything neat and trimmed and eternally unlived in. At least it doesn’t seem like it. The books are too straight to have ever been read. The place is almost too well dusted and vacuumed. The only evidence to the contrary is that anyone who has stepped foot in this office has probably also seen it in a more disheveled state. Usually when phone calls were involved.

Sgt. Dabrain did not enjoy being in T Division. Sgt. Dabrain would rather be out in the field, or dealing with “normal people,” but members with the T designation (or the dreaded PT like Detective Simmons) have their own hurdles and needs, which is why this section of the office was sectioned off for them. No skylights, no planters with offending herbs, and no silver candlesticks. Or as best as they can do. Calling it a division is mostly a nickname; the place was simply a section set aside for the comfort of the officers and staff with varying forms of therianthropy. Officers like Ithuriel and the werefoxes and Simmons had no problems, the former two being what they were long before the Blood Moon, and didn’t strictly need the accommodations.

Sgt. Dabrain was different. Sgt. Dabrain was not a quiet man, but his particular “gift” restricted to him to office duties. He would have been happily accepted by a stealth unit, were he able to shut up for over an hour or keep himself in check for any extended period of time. Not that he ever yelled at civilians, or overstepped any boundaries with his own people. Honestly he was a very capable leader but, well, the fact that it was 10am when Officer Dibbles entered and he was still using his chair and not the wooden perch that sat on his desk was some kind of miracle. One day, someone would pry out of him how he managed to get bitten by a chameleon during the night of the blood moon hard enough for the curse to descend on him. Until then, the members of T Division can only speculate.

As for the man, he would be described as huge. Towering over Wilfred (usually until about 9 am) and peering down at him over his imperial nose and bushy mustache. Today, the Wilfred is joined by a lanky young man with tanned skin and short hair, with an almost identical uniform to his own, save for pants, and a heavy book strapped to his side instead of a staff. Wilfred might have seen him around in the library from time to time, but probably never talked to him.

”Dibbles, you’re late.” the sergeant says to Wilfred, who was not late.
    ”Here’s the beef. Dibbles, meet Dobbers. He’s your new partner. Between these- he pauses and looks at Dobbers, who has flinched, -skin things, the fairies, weird fungus, and the daily list of invaders and people declaring themselves king or queen, we don’t have the luxury of keeping people in reserve. You boys have had good eval scores, and you’re the strongest we got here in TD when you man up a little. So despite your best efforts, we’re sending you out there for the foreseeable future. Just...look we’re sending you greenhorns somewhere easy, just make us look good, okay? Pose for the kids, show ‘em your game faces, catch something. Capiche?”

Dobbers looks...uncomfortable. To say the least.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #186

RedWizardGuy

[House Hunters]

"Let's do the bedrooms next," Anatya suggests.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

[Industrial Strength Investigation]

"Aye. We've got a face," Michalson says, examining the image for any detail he can glean from it. "Or most o' it. There can't be too many berks who can do somethin' like that. If we dig through our archives, maybe he can find somethin' about this one."

[Docks - Sewers]

"I agree about burning everything," Calm Reed says, looking at the flesh-wall with disgust. "I don't have any fire with me, though, so I guess this one's for someone else."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It's buried a little bit amidst all the billowing snow and magic, but Morning Glory's original detection of that "monster stink" is still down here.
    Possibly buried a little more, as Muun fries a clean hole through a chest of one of the lightning casters, and Down begins to turn her flamethrower towards all of the individuals twitching on the ground. The stench of burning flesh is easily circulated through the room by the howling blizzard, potent and wretched.

But as Morning gets close enough to lay her hoof into the second lightning caster, slamming him up and away, she can catch a whiff.
    Beneath all the magic, all the burning, all the abominable scents, and now-obvious obfuscations...
    That one she just rocketed up into the stony ceiling was just a human. A broken and unmoving human, currently, but a human.

That one Muun fried a good portion of the chest of doesn't seem to be erupting in tentacles and teeth either.
    Nor the ones on the ground beneath Down's flames.

It's becoming more apparent with every passing moment, as Jaahlyn's music carries away the magic present here.
    Lightning arcs towards her in a hectic orbit, a nigh-invisible haze of necromancy begins to take a pink hue to the air around her as it begins to condense away from its even spread across the room, and the spell that the two still-standing casters flies away from them towards her as well in a cloud of generic hatestrugglewar.
    Not the blizzard though. It is as strong as ever. Howling. Shrieking.
    Louder.

These were not the face-stealing horrors summoning a blizzard that Down and others had assumed.
    Someone has clearly gone out of their way to paint the situation that way, with quite some amount of effort, but it is not so.

Just some foolish humans. Summoning something else.
    Not with the clearly useless magic that Jaahlyn just whipped away, either. Measly little cantrips, a weak mental influence towards anger, an obfuscation of their humanity.
    The blizzard billows around her, quite eagerly, but rich with something else's influence.

The realization that all of this is very wrong from what they had been lead to believe, coincides rather nicely with that smudge in the storm beginning to slide Jaahlyn's way as well. She'll feel what it is, in her little arcano-magnetic symphony: a portal to somewhere far, far away.
    It is from this portal that the blizzard is wildly screaming.

And something else is screaming.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Sewer Prison

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    The bees do not target Blackwall. The gun sprays pheromones to ensure the bees stay on target.

Tethrik charges the blue devils, lashing out brutally with his fists at the first, and kicking at the second. He's pulling his punches; if they are stronger on the other side of the portal he doesn't want to send them back there. The white devils were unfortunate collateral damage, but honestly, it seems like poking them would kill them, so Tethrik doubts he could've subdued them without killing them.

Abrajin's Library

The scout reaches out with a powerful robotic arm, hoping to catch the snake by the throat in an iron grip. There's more than one way to negotiate, and to the scout, this just feels right. Like everything is in Order, and the snake deserved it.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #190

So the illusion had lied, or at least not told them them the entire truth.
    But she already knew the facestealers were here somewhere, the wall of flesh had told her as much. So was this simply a trap? Or something else?

She couldn't stop playing though, not in the middle of a symphony. Since as the music attracted the magic, so did the magic attract its player.
    Jaahlyn turns towards the portal and so did the magic in the room. The others will see that the spells that were swirling around her a moment ago are now moving towards something as the music suddenly changes.

A moment ago it was jolly, the magic following her like children.

Now it's darker, the children drowning themselves within the portal.
    She's moving towards it too, slowly.

11. - Top - End - #191

NinjaGuy

Misty nods, and instructs the tech to save the video and have it catalogued as evidence, then sent to the lab for further analysis.

"Do you think there's anything to find at the other shops that were robbed?"

[Docks - Sewers]

Quin barely manages to squeeze in. Being more than 10 feet tall means he doesn't really fit into places not meant for people of his bulk, and as a result, he's hunched over and scrunched up to even be able to fit into the pipe, and is having to half-kneel walk in order to move around with the group. He eyes the wall of flesh and sighs.

"I don't know if my weapons will work against that in the same manner flame would, but I suppose I can try, if no one else has anything."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    The Palace - Group 2

The female guide holds up a little pail for the crushed cookie to be put into before setting it all aside so she can head to the doors leaving the chamber. She pauses with her hand on the knob before looking back at the group. A larger, more-likely-to-make-trouble group than the first one had been.

"Enter without hostility, lest your fates be sealed." She tells them before opening up the double-doors to reveal a much different hallway than the first had gone through. While the materials were much the same, the lighting was darker and the halls and floor were scarred by ancient signs of battle. There are cuts so deep in the walls that it is possible to see the city on the other side far below. Massive gouges, bullet holes, scorch marks, and crystals of magic residue coat every surface and a gentle blinking blue light is seen in the far distance. "Perhaps you may yet be of service to the palace however. Darkness and troublesome monster await within. Our last helper died after cleansing most of them for us, may she ever be honored."
    The Palace - Group 2

The perhaps largest member of the large group is the first to move forward. Emily, crocodilian as she is, begins sniffing the air for signs of a threat - perhaps the spell residue is too strong here to smell otherwise, but if there's some kind of monster here, it should have some kind of smell to it that her powerful nose can detect.

And it does.

"Stale air, not a lot of movement through these areas. Corroded metals, fresh water, and machine oil," She closes her eyes a moment, sniffing again, "And... another scent in the air that I can't quite place. Smells tangy, and old," She waves for the others to follow her as she begins to plod forward, her heavy feet stomping along, "Come on, the source is this way."

((scenting information given by Wolfy, so you know it's legit))
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-05-02 at 01:55 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

13. - Top - End - #193

[Streets]

"Big and Blue with Badass hair!" Probably stretching things a bit, but Lucy's in a good mood and she's gonna stay that way, damn it! "Oh hey, so-"

Seems they've come across a street market.

Seems Lucy's been distracted by the first stall.

I wonder wh- "Shiiiiiiny." Ah. That's why.

[Dibs, Dobs & Dabs]

"Aye- ah, wait, hawd on jes' a wee sec'nd, sergeant!" A rather panicked look comes over Wilfred's face. Outside? Now? In the middle of spring when the pollen count is through the roof? What in the Nexus is the sergeant thinking?

Hopefully the look of mild panic is enough to keep Dabrain from blowing his top. It's not like Dibbles to answer back at all, he's just a little nervous!

"Oh, and it's a pleasure tae meetcha, Dobbers. I'd jes' rath'r nawt be outside right now. Sergeant, please, y'knaw hae much th'pollen makes me sneeze!"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

Sam grins, rolling his eyes (with love!) and putting one of his many hands on Lucy’s shoulder.
    ”Look all you want. But you do remember that you got a new shiny ten minutes ago right?” he asks her with a chuckle. Maybe he could ask her some day to look at that pile of hers. He doesn’t like calling in favors, but he needs to find a backup plan for Dorry sooner or later. It would help if he knew what the Broker wanted. For now though, this is a time for Lucy to have fun.

[Dibs, Dabs, and Dobs]

Wilfred is met with The Look. The one where not only does Dabrain look like he might throw something, he also seems to be a centimeter shorter than he was a millisecond ago.
    ”Oh you poor thing. Would you like me to personally wipe your nose for you with a monogrammed hankie? Call your mommy to send you a bowl of green soup?” the sergeant taunts, a vein bulging in his rapidly shrinking head.
    ”Maybe I should call Rodriguez from his sick leave to regrow that arm so he can charge the skinwalkers with the one he’s got left because Dibbles is too afraid of plant snot to go patrolling!”
    With the soft cracking of bending boughs the sergeant lands on his wooden perch; green, tailed, and vertically bested by your average toy doll. Dobbers makes the heroic triumph of remaining stone cold in the face of the tiny were-chameleon glowering at them.
    ”You better be out of my office, geared up, and on the road in an hour, or I’ll have your badge. That’s final. Clear?”

”Crystal, sir.” gulps Dobbers, tugging at the red-brown stained collar of his uniform.

15. - Top - End - #195

Dockside Sewers

Blanche probably has the easiest time of the group as far as squeezing herself into the sewers goes - she's perhaps the shortest at average human size, unhindered by any bulky armor and just naturally better at shimmying her way into tight spaces. The bulk of her gear complicates things slightly, but it's not hard to reposition a rifle and a hand flamer.

Once she manages to get down she takes a quick look around, and pales at the sight of the looming fleshwall. "I have my flamer, but I've only got a single tank of fuel left right now, and I'm pretty sure this thing is designed for use against personnel, not for clearing away all of that."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't suspect we'll find more there than 'ere," Michalson says. "Whoever it is probably just walked in and dazzled them away too. But we need to catch a skeg anyway. For procedure's sake, if nothin' else."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #197

Spoiler: Palace Group 2 quotes
    Show
    The Palace - Group 2

The female guide holds up a little pail for the crushed cookie to be put into before setting it all aside so she can head to the doors leaving the chamber. She pauses with her hand on the knob before looking back at the group. A larger, more-likely-to-make-trouble group than the first one had been.

"Enter without hostility, lest your fates be sealed." She tells them before opening up the double-doors to reveal a much different hallway than the first had gone through. While the materials were much the same, the lighting was darker and the halls and floor were scarred by ancient signs of battle. There are cuts so deep in the walls that it is possible to see the city on the other side far below. Massive gouges, bullet holes, scorch marks, and crystals of magic residue coat every surface and a gentle blinking blue light is seen in the far distance. "Perhaps you may yet be of service to the palace however. Darkness and troublesome monster await within. Our last helper died after cleansing most of them for us, may she ever be honored."
    Quote Originally Posted by Halae View Post
    The Palace - Group 2

The perhaps largest member of the large group is the first to move forward. Emily, crocodilian as she is, begins sniffing the air for signs of a threat - perhaps the spell residue is too strong here to smell otherwise, but if there's some kind of monster here, it should have some kind of smell to it that her powerful nose can detect.

And it does.

"Stale air, not a lot of movement through these areas. Corroded metals, fresh water, and machine oil," She closes her eyes a moment, sniffing again, "And... another scent in the air that I can't quite place. Smells tangy, and old," She waves for the others to follow her as she begins to plod forward, her heavy feet stomping along, "Come on, the source is this way."

((scenting information given by Wolfy, so you know it's legit))

[Palace - Group 2]

Marin, the purple-haired catgirl who is currently holding a shopping bag and a purse, has reached up to the palace temple. She looks around in awe, and then realizes there's already a group here.

She quickly joins with them, as if she had been there the whole time.

"Oh, wow," she says to herself, looking around the battle-scarred hallway. She doesn't really feel all that prepared compared to everyone else here - they're probably all battle-hardened soldiers or something, and all she's got is her concealed carry with her. Maybe she should just go...but being here is too interesting so there's no use in backing out.
    She watches Emily sniff out the place.
    Wow. She's pretty cool.

"Okay," she says in response to Emily's statements about the smells. Y-yeah...she can kinda smell a little bit of oil, too. It's an intoxicating smell. "That was pretty neat." Taking a pause only to make sure her turtleneck collar was still snug around her, she quickly follows behind the large crocodilian.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-05-03 at 02:53 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #198

RedWizardGuy

Sewer Prison
    The blue guards are clearly affected by his punches, though not greatly. One of them recovers quickly enough to launch a hefty punch at Tethrik. Just as he does this, Blackwall shouts, "I've opened the door, hurry!"

Muun grunts, "Serves them right for letting us sneak up on them." He turns toward the others, "Where's that scream coming from."

The Palace Group 2
    It seems as though this person isn't interested in joining Metalhead. Ah well, he's been rejected before. When he hears about a monster he feels a little in over his head, but it's best to at least check if there's anything of immediate danger. He can always time travel out if things come to worse. He heads in the direction of the smells, using his robot tech to determine where they are.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2019-05-03 at 01:35 PM.
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Lady Arachne's Back Terrace

Pontius follows, directing his chair with a thought- the legs extend out and walks behind Lady Arachne, surprisingly silent for a conveyance designed primarily for comfort. He has to spend most of the day in it; comfort's a high priority. He does notice the hedge's swaying, but he's not sure if it's a property of the metal, or an effect of the realm he's in. He knows enough to know he's technically not in the Nexus any more. "Copper and gold... yes, I can do that. There's a process to it. Shakudo. Hmm. I've got a new apprentice who is interested in metallurgy; she's worked with copper alloys before. She can assist, if she thinks she's up for it." If she doesn't, then she's going to hinder more than help even if she has the knowledge and skill Pontius wants. "I can inset some stones, yes. Do you want truly valuable ones or ones that look good? It won't affect the functionality much, though I'll anchor the construct's sensory abilities into the gemstones. Certain polished stones are very effective in that area." Not the only option, when it comes to granting an enchanted statue the power of sight, but one Pontius is familiar with- and probably one of the best options for metal statues.

Office of Horror

Alfred starts when he recognises Tethrik- if only slightly, from an arena they both escaped a few months back. He turns and runs, whilst Ben lashes out with a Wrap, trying to snare the space-demon and hold him in place, or at least slow him down and constrict him. Arnie, meanwhile, charges at some of the rubble, directing a Rock Tomb at Tethrik that will bombard him with chunks of concrete and stone and possibly slow him down as well.

The Palace- Group 2

Jack follows along, pulling out a folding shovel and unfolding it before slinging it over her shoulder. The talk of a monster has her a little worried, so she starts to change. Black feathers erupt from her torso and arms, a black beak erupts from her face whilst grey feathers grow amongst her hair and down towards her back as her feet erupt into a crow's splayed talons. She keeps her arms, and she remains mostly human- her clothes are visible through the feathers and she's still moving like a human, not a bird. She spreads her second pair of wings, the ones with the eyes in the 'elbow' joint (actually a modified wrist; bird wings are mostly fingers) for the additional points of view.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Golden Flock Orphanage

"Go ahead. Let it out." Mo tells the young boy, departing the way she came. She's slow and sluggish, but she remembers to stay out of the shimmering puddles as she heads towards the hole she made in the floor above.

Rambling Shop - Lum

The little bug girl awakens groggily, quite clearly roused from a deep sleep by the shop owner. Her one eye blinks tiredly, blearily, before it focuses on the sweet roll. She snags it before practically falling out of the box to give the shopkeeper a tight hug around his waist. She even sounds like she's purring as she hums happily. When she pulls away she takes a bite of food before typing on her little pad.

TOOLZ FIXED GOOD?

Intersection HQ

Brokenfang just saunters in happily, humming some pop song terribly off-key before she leans against the counter. "Yes, I'm Brokenfang. I believe there might be a little teeny tiny cause for me to be Wanted." She explains. She's unarmed as she could be, but she taps her claws on the counter and her tail is swaying behind her in mischief. Depending on the answer, there might be a quick cause for action...

Hopefully Ithuriel is prepared to control her.

Palace - Group 2

Despite the lengthy corridor, it doesn't take long for the signs of battle to turn into bodies. Or at the very least husks of machines. Sleek black insect like creations sporting far too many guns and blades for anyone's liking. They looked almost like centipedes if you made them the size of a horse and replaced their mouth with half a dozen gunbarrels and their fore-limbs with mono-molecular blades. Each was cut down by a blade as well, one unbelievably sharp, but despite their exterior being free of rush, their interiors betray just how long they've been there. Most of the insides were rusted out completely, leaving a few clean pieces of magitek behind to be scavenged if one wished to do so.

Provided of course they don't pay any mind to the click-clack of metal skittering on stone ahead.

Palace - Jace and Kothar

"You're gods-be-damned RIGHT you're telling me what to do again!"
    Veronica yells, clearly even more angry at the moment, but she reigns in her temper to look at Kothar with a withering scowl. <And do not think that just because you two switch languages that I would not understand, Paladin.> She says, switching to Draconic for a moment. Her grasp of the language is good even if she has a thick accent in it, but she clearly understands enough. "Do not think that because you have a child in your shadows clinging to you that I will not defend myself." She warns before her glare turns back to Jace. "Every time something happens, you're quick to point out just everything that can go wrong with it, or right if I am the one trying to point out something negative. Everything from books to potions to animals, it's always had to be YOUR way. For gods's sake, Jace, you're terrified of an inanimate BOOK because it had a recipe. The first valuable piece of treasure I find and you wanted me to destroy it! All because of a recipe for vampirism being in it. Gods Jace, your paranoia is why I keep the thing in a safe now! But guess what? I made the damnable potion later anyway just to learn how to do so. And guess what again? NOTHING. HAPPENED." She yells, pointing at her purse, setting against the side of her throne.

"It's right there, Jace. It's always been in that purse under a magic sealed lid, third potion from the right. I made it and keep it there not because I want to become a vampire, but because ultimately I trusted you. I trusted YOU. I trusted you enough that if I should lay dying, I would trust your judgement on what to do. I trusted you enough to put my life, and potential UNlife in your hands, and I trusted you enough to find a cure or end me should it get to such a point. If I can trust you with that, then why the **** do you not trust me?" She asks, her voice bitter and cold before stepping aside and gesturing at her purse.

"There it is. If it worries you so much, go ahead and destroy it. I won't stop you. Either of you. Third one on the right with the silver cap. I've never been tempted to use it and I doubt I ever will be, so go ahead."

"But let me ask you something else. Have I fired a shot? Have I touched a single hair on anyone's head here? Have I damaged or destroyed a single square inch of this city? I have provided neither harm nor ultimatum."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

I think good looks should be important over value. But you'll find plenty to work with in the bins. I'd prefer to avoid overtly humanoid or animalistic designs - I'd prefer them to blend in with the general furnishings. And of course we want them to be quick, and agile enough to avoid collisions. Would any of that require any specific support? She pauses for a minute. I should show you the other furnishings. If you'll come this way please?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

[Palace - Group 2]

Emily goes rigid, spreading her legs and hands instinctively as she falls into a ready position, "If it attacks, I'll keep it focused on me," Emily says, "Get your attacks in where you can, stay at range if possible, and I'll hold it in place."

There's a light growl in the thick, predatory tone of the crocodilian woman's voice, her hands being held not in fists, bit with her claws at the ready. One might get the feeling she'd have charged off already if not for the fact that she's more concerned with protecting the group following her - not all of them seem to be incredible at combat.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Palace]

Jace gives Kothar a withering glare, his fists clenched, but he pulls himself together. He takes Veronica's buffet, but he does not respond at first. He just steps to the left. He does not touch the purse. He doesn't look at the purse. He only has eyes for one person in the room, but even they drop to the floor as he sits down on the arm of the throne. You know, you could always bring up-No. Never again.
    "That's right. It terrified me. It still might. Do you know why? It's because when I was fifteen years old, I ran away from home. I had a bedroll, water, two gold pieces, and Amarid, my hawk. An old man I met on the road took me in. He was kind and he had gifts like mine. He showed me how to use them. And for a time I was happy. Until I followed him into the woods at night. I found his victims. I found blood and ash, and the discarded hand of a child. So I ran. I ran, and I left so many people to die before we found him again years later and we put him in the dirt where he belonged. And for what did they die? For some stupid formula to unlock true lichdom.
    It's because I watched as Arra grappled for years with half-vampirism, drinking blood from chickens. She used to cry when she thought we couldn't hear. And I never could do a thing about it.
    And it's because I had a roommate once, who was a vampire. She thinks I cured her. She thinks I'm some great sorcerer with powers over undeath. Do you know what I did to her, Veronica? I staked her in the heart with a crystal and shoved a potion of life down her throat. "

Jace's hands shake as he stares off against the wall. Static. Droning. Pain lances through his temple. Zebes sings in his head. Why can't he be quiet?
    "That is why that knowledge terrified me. Not because you would abuse it. Not because you would have been a threat with it. But because I thought as long as things like that exist weaker men always try to abuse it, and because it reminded me of my greatest failing. I don't pretend I'm objective about it. I know why you wanted it: you have things to live for, might need a way to cheat death. But you trusted me to cure you? You trusted me to end you? I am not capable of either. My best cure would be what it always was: a stake and a cleric." Only now does he look up, staring at her with teary eyes that glow deep blue. "And would you look me in the eyes, and tell me you think that me, as I am, would have been able to do that? To strike you down in cold blood? My love? My raison d'etre? No, I would have been a coward, because I could never harm you. I would have stayed with you, as long as I could, but would have never been able to save you from that doom. That is why I screamed at you over that book. That is why I sit here, begging you to tell them what I already know: you're no villain.

Not because I am some perfect hero. But because I am a frightened, irrational, selfish person who can't always do what he needs to, who can only wish he was worthy of the trust you gave him. Did I force you to destroy the book? Did I force you to destroy the formula? Did I force you to drop those pokemon at the center? Did I come here, telling you to give this up, that I thought you were going to kill anyone? No, I might have wrongly condescended, I might have doubted and lectured. I might have shouted. But I've never forced you to do anything, not even when I doubted. You are an adult and my love. I know you. I trust you. And that's why all I've asked is for you to talk to me. As you have, and have always done."

24. - Top - End - #204

[Industrial Park - Below]

That isn't the reaction Morning was expecting. The expected reaction would have involved FAR more teeth, raw flesh, and screeching. This was more like... totally normal deranged cultists. Not that deranged cultists are a good thing to have around. Deranged cultists are pretty horrible, what with their habit of summoning things that ought not be into the world.

Heck. She had done some cultist thwarting just the other day.

"Human cultists?" she mutters aloud as Down finishes torching the ones she had incapacitated. "Mesmerized, maybe? Convinced that summon the thing on the other side would be helpful somehow? A trap? Or..."

The screaming grows louder as the portal grows more coherent.

"...a sacrifice."

Uh oh.

Her eyes widen as it dawns on her what may very well have just happened.

"Everyone get back!" Morning yells as incandescent white flame begins licking along her mane and tail. "Jaahlyn, if you have any way of closing that portal DO IT. Down, burn anything that makes it through. Muun, if Jaahlyn gets too close pull her away. I'm going to try to plug the rift."

Then she takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and-

"Visions of judgement. A sign etched in the heavens with no eyes to see them. Truth, fire, sun, ash. Marvel in majesty, cower in terror. Seven angels with seven bowls to pour out upon the world. Judgment, sword, grace, beauty. Wraith unveiled, full, furious, fierce, awesome. Songs of salvation. Songs of lament. Songs of recompense. Songs of words unspeakable. Behold what is to come. Behold the dawn unceasing. Behold truth untarnished. Behold the Sea of Glass!"

And assuming something doesn't tackle her while she's weaving her incantation?

There comes a pulse as power briefly radiates from her, the flames in her hair roaring into a bonfire. And then with a great noise something like a star is born on the other side of the portal. Waves of heat blast from the portal as ethereal music pours forth, filled with voices, sounds, thunder, and Truth.

Best not to listen too closely.

You might learn something you don't want to hear.

[Docks - Awful Sewer Adventures]

~I'm glad I had the foresight to pack Flamethrower today...~ Geneva sends as she drifts over to the meatwall, holds out her little paws, and-!

Suddenly her pinkish white fur ignites into fiery shades of red, orange, and yellow as sheets of flame lick at the wall. She can't exactly keep that up forever, but better to help her friends conserve flamer fuel.

[House Hunters]

To the bedroom!

It's a mess.

Which shouldn't come as much of a shock.

All sorts of furniture with sheets draped over it. You know. To keep the dust off.

Several chairs. A massive canopy bed. Some desks. A sofa. A great big free-standing wardrobe that probably doesn't have a snowy forest on the other side.

What shall our hero investigate first?

[Abrajin's Library]

Yeah, the snake kind of deserved it.

It WAS being a jerk after all.

"Alright, alright, no need to get violent!" the serpent chokes out. "Let me go and I'll tell you what you need to know!"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2019-05-04 at 10:24 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Sewer Prison

Tethrik throws the guards away from him and leaps for the door, trying to dive through it as quickly as he can. Best not to stay around, he wants this crazy mission over as soon as possible.

Office of Horror

Tethrik roars as he's entangled by vines and rocks. He bursts into flame and begins burning through his bonds, the wrapping vines blackening to ash. His clawed hands begin tearing through the rubble, heaving his way out of the wreckage. He lifts a large chunk of rubble and throws it at the little metal creature; that avalanche actually hurt! Somewhere, deep in his mind, he realizes that he's losing blood from all those bullet wounds, but the bestial presence controlling him just snarls and fights on.

Palace: J&K

Kothar scowls at Veronica's accusation. He speaks in Draconic, since it is much easier than the Common Tongue for him. "I intend no trickery, and I would say the same words in your tongue if I knew them. I am nothing if not honest. Nor do not wield my son as a shield; that is the way of the dishonorable and the coward." His eyes narrow. "He may have foolishly followed me here, but he is my son. You claim to be a parent, you must know what will happen if you harm my child." Kothar looks at Achuak blamingly: the kid is a liability on a mission like this, and his training is not yet complete. "You claim to have done no harm, but you must know it is inevitable. The city does not accept your rulership; it serves no master, I have seen this. The people will fight back against your claim, as they always do, and though you may not strike the first blow, you will be forced to take the land with bloodshed. Then, you are irredeemable in the eyes of the people. Win, and you will be a brutal tyrant, lose, and you will be another bloodthirsty would-be conqueror. This I have also seen." He's not talking about seeing the future, rather about similar events in his past.

Abrajin's Library

"I don't mean to be cruel,
    But I am no fool
    I will not let you go
    Until you tell
    What I need to know."

The scout doesn't trust the serpent to not run off when released instead of answering, but it does loosen its grip a little to allow the snake to breathe.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #206

NinjaGuy

Misty nods.

"Where do you think we should go next, then?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's start with the one that peddles both chrome and dazzle," Michalson decides after a brief internal deliberation. "If we're right, or at least not hopelessly wrong, about this addle-cove's motive, this sounds like suits his purpose best."

28. - Top - End - #208

[Streets]

Sam grins, rolling his eyes (with love!) and putting one of his many hands on Lucy’s shoulder.
    ”Look all you want. But you do remember that you got a new shiny ten minutes ago right?” he asks her with a chuckle. Maybe he could ask her some day to look at that pile of hers. He doesn’t like calling in favors, but he needs to find a backup plan for Dorry sooner or later. It would help if he knew what the Broker wanted. For now though, this is a time for Lucy to have fun.

[Dibs, Dabs, and Dobs]

Wilfred is met with The Look. The one where not only does Dabrain look like he might throw something, he also seems to be a centimeter shorter than he was a millisecond ago.
    ”Oh you poor thing. Would you like me to personally wipe your nose for you with a monogrammed hankie? Call your mommy to send you a bowl of green soup?” the sergeant taunts, a vein bulging in his rapidly shrinking head.
    ”Maybe I should call Rodriguez from his sick leave to regrow that arm so he can charge the skinwalkers with the one he’s got left because Dibbles is too afraid of plant snot to go patrolling!”
    With the soft cracking of bending boughs the sergeant lands on his wooden perch; green, tailed, and vertically bested by your average toy doll. Dobbers makes the heroic triumph of remaining stone cold in the face of the tiny were-chameleon glowering at them.
    ”You better be out of my office, geared up, and on the road in an hour, or I’ll have your badge. That’s final. Clear?”

”Crystal, sir.” gulps Dobbers, tugging at the red-brown stained collar of his uniform.
    Golden Flock Orphanage

"Go ahead. Let it out." Mo tells the young boy, departing the way she came. She's slow and sluggish, but she remembers to stay out of the shimmering puddles as she heads towards the hole she made in the floor above.

Intersection HQ

Brokenfang just saunters in happily, humming some pop song terribly off-key before she leans against the counter. "Yes, I'm Brokenfang. I believe there might be a little teeny tiny cause for me to be Wanted." She explains. She's unarmed as she could be, but she taps her claws on the counter and her tail is swaying behind her in mischief. Depending on the answer, there might be a quick cause for action...

Hopefully Ithuriel is prepared to control her.
    [Streets]

"Oh. Ohhh, right, yeah!" Lucy laughs, awkwardly tearing her gaze away from the stall and moving on. "We're looking for a- a thing. Thing, uh, clothes! Right! You're after clothes! Let's find those!" Lead the way, Sam! Let's find some Sam clothes!

[Golden Flock Orphanage]

Ithuriel growls softly, incredibly irritated by this smug bubbleman. She reeeeally wants to clobber this guy, but right now she's hesitant even about trying to 'cuff him. Assuming he is another one of these freaky face-eaters, putting her hands on him is risky to say the least.

So, instead, she picks up her flamer again and points it at him. "You're gonna walk out of here, nice and slow, alright? If you're as tough as the other one, a little burst of this won't be enough to kill you, so no trying to pull any sympathy crap on me. But it'll hurt like hell, I bet."

[Intersection HQ]

Ithuriel, in her robes, shakes her head. "I'm off-duty at the moment, but I've been attempting to find a solution to our, uh, raider problem in my own time." Ithuriel glances at Brokenfang and gives a heavy sigh. The wolf-lady really wasn't doing her any favours in all this. "I thought things had been arranged for the warrant for arrest on Brokenfang here to be temporarily withdrawn but-" This already wasn't going according to plan. "I kept Nick in the loop on this as best I could, and was intending to have a more formal discussion about this. If he's in, could you see if he'd be willing to sit down and talk about this?"

[Dibs, Dabs and Dobs]

Dibbles snaps a hasty salute as Dabrain starts shouting. "Y-y-yes, Sergeant! Of course, Sergeant! We'll go out thar n' find a way tae make oursel's useful, sir!" He backs off hurriedly, opening the office door and backstepping out of it, holding it open for Dobbers. "I, ah, I guess we're partners then! We'd best be on our way!"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

[Streets]

Sam grins and leads Lucy to another stall. This one is full of cloth. Tapestries, curtains, clothes, silks. A plump, matronly drider looks kindly at them, awaiting a decision.
    "So...what do you think would look good on me?"

[Intersection HQ]

Clickity-clack go claws on the keyboard.
    "Oh, yes, we didn't get any paperwork for a temporary hold on that arrest warrant. Um. Well you came here willingly so we can put you in one of the nice holding rooms while we sort all this out...Commissioner Richards is in today...let me page him."
    "Um."
    "Would you mind waiting?" asks the woman, clearly uncomfortable.

[Dibs and Dobs]

Dobs hurries out of the office and shuts the door behind him. He nervously holds his hand out for Wilfred.
    "Um. Call me Melvin, sir. It's a pleasure to work with you. I guess...we need to see the quartermaster and whoever's issuing us a vehicle. They won't make us walk, will they?
    So...um..."
    he blushes.
    "From what the sergeant said you're uh...sometimes big too?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Pontius follows Lady Arachne. "Agility and speed are easy enough, especially with copper alloys. They are not metaphorically heavy, like lead, and there are methods I can use to make it lighter. Magic is shaped by belief and expectation, if that is how you think it works." If you don't think magic is shaped by belief and expectation, then for you it isn't.

Office of Horror

Alfred's still running, and Ben has stopped to join him since that fire is very scary to the little Grass-type pokemon. Arnie, however, isn't intimidated, and opens his mouth wide, spewing a torrent of Mud to Slap Tethrik and possibly knock him over with the force. Arnie's aiming for Tethrik's eyes, hoping to blind the space demon at least temporarily. The mud may also smother the fire, depriving it of oxygen and putting it out.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!