New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Club Fighter idea

Class: Fighter
    Weapons: two club like weapons
    Race: Human Varient
    Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)

Make your clubs do 1d8 magic damage and swing both of them per turn.

Fighting Style: Defensive so you do not have to use a shield.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MThurston; 2019-03-22 at 11:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Club Fighter idea

Quote Originally Posted by MThurston View Post
    Class: Fighter
    Weapons: two club like weapons
    Race: Human Varient
    Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)

Make your clubs do 1d8 magic damage and swing both of them per turn.

Fighting Style: Defensive so you do not have to use a shield.

What do you think?
    Shillelagh cannot effect two objects as the first enchantment is lost after casting it the second time, and it can't be Twinned as Twin Spell requires the targeting of creatures, not objects.

The next best thing, I suppose, is use a Quarterstaff, PAM, and Shillelagh, to deal 1d8 + 1d4 Magic Wisdom Weapon damage with +2 AC.

Crawford said that Shillelagh impacts the entire weapon, so the Bonus Action attack would still be magical and Wisdom, but he'd rule that the PAM damage takes precedence (1d4 vs. 1d8) as mostly out of a balance concern probably.

Or, if you're adamant about using two weapons like that, Barbarian does it fairly well, but I'd rather use Hand Axes, as they can be thrown.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-22 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Shillelagh cannot effect two objects as the first enchantment is lost after casting it the second time, and it can't be Twinned as Twin Spell requires the targeting of creatures, not objects.

The next best thing, I suppose, is use a Quarterstaff, PAM, and Shillelagh, to deal 1d8 + 1d4 Magic Wisdom Weapon damage with +2 AC.

Crawford said that Shillelagh impacts the entire weapon, so the Bonus Action attack would still be magical and Wisdom, but he'd rule that the PAM damage takes precedence (1d4 vs. 1d8) as mostly out of a balance concern probably.

Or, if you're adamant about using two weapons like that, Barbarian does it fairly well, but I'd rather use Hand Axes, as they can be thrown.
    You could also just use a Warhammer in one hand and the club in the other.

4. - Top - End - #4

You could also just use a Warhammer in one hand and the club in the other.
    There's a number of issues with that.

• The Warhammer doesn't have Light. You'll need the Dual Wielder feat to do this, and at this point, what do you need Magic Initiate for?
    • The Warhammer and Club both use different modifiers. One of the reasons people use Shillelagh is to have their attacks and casting/skills to be used off of the same stat.
    • The Warhammer is a martial weapon. While your example is the Fighter, one of the benefits of using a Quarterstaff is that everyone can use it.

A Druid could afford to go my example with a single feat (PAM), or a Barbarian can wield two clubs with no feat tax at all. A Fighter would have to spend at least 2 feats to get something like this working (or one to just use Dual Wield and 1d8 weapons, but that's -1 less damage per hit than the Barbarian and still using Str/Dex).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-22 at 12:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    There's a number of issues with that.

• The Warhammer doesn't have Light. You'll need the Dual Wielder feat to do this, and at this point, what do you need Magic Initiate for?
    • The Warhammer and Club both use different modifiers. One of the reasons people use Shillelagh is to have their attacks and casting/skills to be used off of the same stat.
    • The Warhammer is a martial weapon. While your example is the Fighter, one of the benefits of using a Quarterstaff is that everyone can use it.

A Druid could afford to go my example with a single feat (PAM), or a Barbarian can wield two clubs with no feat tax at all. A Fighter would have to spend at least 2 feats to get something like this working (or one to just use Dual Wield and 1d8 weapons, but that's -1 less damage per hit than the Barbarian and still using Str/Dex).
    You would use the War Hammer in the primary hand and use the light club in the off hand to get bonus action attacks.

You would be doing 1d8 damage with the off hand club. Not bad.

I was thinking if making a Ronan that used a wooden two handed sword. The DM may count thus as a heavy club or quarterstaff.

Would be cool battle with a magical wooden practice sword.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You would use the War Hammer in the primary hand and use the light club in the off hand to get bonus action attacks.

You would be doing 1d8 damage with the off hand club. Not bad.

I was thinking if making a Ronan that used a wooden two handed sword. The DM may count thus as a heavy club or quarterstaff.

Would be cool battle with a magical wooden practice sword.
    Both weapons have to be light to use the TWF abilities and the off hand would not get a stat to it at all.

If you want to be a dual wielding type of fighter with a club, just play a monk and use them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Like Man Over Game said, can't target more then one object, but sense there's still a feat tax to get what you want, and it's not all that different then duel wielding two bigger weapons with two weapon fighting, I'd alow it as the dm, rule of cool plays a big part in my games, mostly due to my players preferences for sub optimal builds and options :P

Plus you enchant non-magical wood, so any magic weapons you find you're likely not going to want to use, right?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by poolio View Post
    Like Man Over Game said, can't target more then one object, but sense there's still a feat tax to get what you want, and it's not all that different then duel wielding two bigger weapons with two weapon fighting, I'd alow it as the dm, rule of cool plays a big part in my games, mostly due to my players preferences for sub optimal builds and options :P

Plus you enchant non-magical wood, so any magic weapons you find you're likely not going to want to use, right?
    Nope, the concept is to use two clubs. Only thing better is two magical clubs.

I just looked at two weapon fighting. Both weapons have to be light.

So stuck on how to make this work, but 1d8 plus 1d4 isn't bad. 2- 12 damage. Same as using a two handed sword.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I just looked at two weapon fighting. Both weapons have to be light.

So stuck on how to make this work, but 1d8 plus 1d4 isn't bad. 2- 12 damage. Same as using a two handed sword.
    Well if you really want to run with the club idea... you could use your first level feat for the Dual Wielder feat.
    Take the TWF fighting style and use them.
    Or you could use a pair of maces and say they are just larger wooden clubs.

Personally if you went to that much work to dual wield clubs I would just let you use war hammers and call them clubs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Clear this up, is it important for it to be two clubs, or just to include clubs? Like, are you trying to replicate an escrima or arnis fighter or the like?

Warhammer and shillelagh-imbued club is possible, it just needs the spell (so appropriate class or Magic Initiate), dual wielder feat (to allow a non-light weapon in the combo), and if combat lasts over a minute, you have to figure out how to recast it despite you having things in both hands (you can cast it and then draw your second weapon, but afterwards you are holding two things, so either get War Caster feat or figure out some fancy drop-cast-pickbackup shenanigans). The big issue is that you probably will want high Str to use the warhammer, in which case why use the shillelagh-imbued club at all (other than flavor), instead of two warhammers? It's not the first dual wielding setup someone wants that is suboptimal by the rules (longsword or rapier and dagger, as the prime example).

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Well if you really want to run with the club idea... you could use your first level feat for the Dual Wielder feat.
    Take the TWF fighting style and use them.
    Or you could use a pair of maces and say they are just larger wooden clubs.

Personally if you went to that much work to dual wield clubs I would just let you use war hammers and call them clubs.
    The Two Weapon Feat and Fighting Style is the way to go.

I guess I could use metal clubs like daredevil and have the. Equivalent to maces. 1d6 + Str mod per hit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The Two Weapon Feat and Fighting Style is the way to go.

I guess I could use metal clubs like daredevil and have the. Equivalent to maces. 1d6 + Str mod per hit.
    I would just go with a monk.

13. - Top - End - #13

Monk don't get plate mail or a fighting style.

Also not sure how flurry of blows work but I think they are punches and not weapon attacks.

After looking at monk, it would not work at all.
    Last edited by MThurston; 2019-03-22 at 05:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Use a quarter staff and pam? Easy to fluff it into two clubs
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

This is the kind of thing I would allow with some feat tax. I would let a player use two clubs with Shillelagh, but they'd have to acquire Shillelagh through Magic Initiate or multiclassing AND take the Dual Wielder feat. If they wanted this concept bad enough to meet both of those prereqs, I'd allow Shillelagh to work on two clubs at once since this breaks absolutely nothing. Dual Wielder lets you use two d8 weapons anyway.

As a DM, I try my best to accommodate stuff like this as long as it's relatively balanced.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    This is the kind of thing I would allow with some feat tax. I would let a player use two clubs with Shillelagh, but they'd have to acquire Shillelagh through Magic Initiate or multiclassing AND take the Dual Wielder feat. If they wanted this concept bad enough to meet both of those prereqs, I'd allow Shillelagh to work on two clubs at once since this breaks absolutely nothing. Dual Wielder lets you use two d8 weapons anyway.

As a DM, I try my best to accommodate stuff like this as long as it's relatively balanced.
    What you suggested is one of the ways I was thinking. Magic Initiate with Two Weapon fighting.