New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tales IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Tales IC

(1d20)[5] Spot +6

Does anyone have any use for the corpses or skins?

Gorwin will retrieve whatever arrows he can
    Last edited by wilphe; 2019-04-05 at 05:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Does anyone have any use for the corpses or skins?
    I think torgymm had a recipe for wolf bacon somewhere......does anyone have any potash? Seriously though, Is there a bounty on pelts? Seems like there could be if this behavior is common; according to what I've read though, wolves usually send one or 2 strong fighters head on with their enemies while the rest of the group moves to flank. Attacking head on like that is exceedingly odd; we should be on our guard. But we probably shouldn't tarry and skin them with the sky like this.

And where exactly did the dirt faerie come from?
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-04-05 at 09:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Fine by me I just hate to see waste. Is there anyone else hiding in the wagons? If not we should get moving again

4. - Top - End - #64

** in case anyone else is not getting notiftied I checked my subscription and I was suddenly unsubscribed

Unless anyone objects the group finishes up, fenix finds his bolt and gorwin finds some arrows and then the caravan resumes its inward trek with people being vigilant since that unexpected wolf attack..we might have to set up camp sooner than I like folks..that storm looks to be coming on fast...faster than I've ever seen before in fact as yall move on for another hour suddenly as if called forth the wind howls fiercely and a torrent of rain comes falling down reducing visibility to just a few feet ahead
    damn! Quick tie yourselves together with some rope and get a move on he tries a rope to the side seat and has everyone tie themselves and yall move on in this condition for another hour

Spoiler: spot DC 12
    Show
    when lightning strikes you see a huge silhouette ahead in t by e distance...it almost looks like a tower but it's currently to far

A strike of lightning threatens to blind the group in their trek
    (1d20+1)[14] <spot for my npc

5. - Top - End - #65

DruidGuy

Spot (1d20-1)[10]

this an entirely ridiculous amount of rain. I don't know if my hair will ever be the same
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-04-06 at 12:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

(1d20)[10] +6 spot

Don't remember water being LOUD....always like this?

Maybe spooky tower hide us?
    Last edited by ClericalTank; 2019-04-06 at 08:11 AM.
    I will see your Peasant Railgun and raise you a Kobold Particle Accelerator.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Has anything ever good ever come of sheltering in a spooky tower to get out of the weather?

Gorwin looks around for literally anywhere else to go

(1d20)[20]Spot+6

8. - Top - End - #68

DruidGuy

well, it's not like you can fight pneumonia with a sword, I vote tower

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Seconded, Balrik holding his shield up to block out the worst of the rain, though he did venture a glance around to try and find a better option.

(1d20)[20](20) -2

10. - Top - End - #70

Despite the parties. Best efforts they do not locate anything other than the tower...
    well...that was not there before but any shelter is better than this.. with a small sigh the merchant leads everyone onwards to the tower..
    Upon getting closer the tower actually looks to be in pretty terrible shape..there a holes In the wall and scattered bricks all around the place and it turns out the tower even has a keep! Huge old wooden doors sagging with age hang slightly ajar showing what looks to be like small courtyard with enough room to give everyone shelter

let's move in folks...apologizes for the intrusion we hope no one minds he whispers softly and then gets everyone to help open one of the doors fully to allow enough space for the wagons

11. - Top - End - #71

DruidGuy

As we enter I use a Detect Magic. Scan the courtyard slowly, then move on to probing the area deeper into the keep without leaving the area. 60' come area. 2 minutes duration I believe

Detect Magic

this looks like it's been abandoned for years; what did you mean it wasnt here before?
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-04-07 at 01:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler: fenix
    Show
    as you look around and look inside nothing seems to show a magical aura..however ( I'm assuming you look behind you) as you gaze back outside you realize the rain and air itself seem to be glowing with the entire magic spectrum
    Spoiler: know:arcane DC 12 or spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    the weather seems to be magical in effect but almost as if from a failure rather than purposeful intent..which would explain how and why it showed up so fast

A fire is made to help people dry off and the merchant looks around..something just feels off about this place..aside from the fact it did not exist a week ago..I see another door on the east.. as he speaks he points out to Another door on the east wall in the shadows
    Spoiler: courtyard I forgot!
    Show
    large courtyard with plenty of room to move and spread out..door on the east side and rubble on the west side that looks like part of the wall collapsed to the north is a solid wall and south would be where yall entered from

.... I know yall are being paid to keep us safe but can yall do me a favor and check the inside? Anything you find I'd be willing to buy off your hands and if we need help we can just give a shout out? Plus I'm planning on closing that door we came in slightly unless you feel we should keep it open

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Godwin looks about him

You might want to keep the door open until we’ve established there is nothing inside worth running from
    Last edited by wilphe; 2019-04-07 at 04:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

DruidGuy

(1d20+3)[20] kno arcana

Theres no magic in the keep as far as I can tell. But this rain......it looks like someone screwed up a powerful spell or ritual and unleashed this mess.
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-04-07 at 02:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

it looks like someone screwed up a powerful spell or ritual and unleashed this mess.

Wasn't me

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Barnabas follows the more experienced guards in taking note of things done and in what order so that he can also live to the nice ripe age of "experienced."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, let's go do what we aren't being paid to do.

Gorwin gets his bow out again and readies an arrow.

Who takes point?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Who takes point?

Blognaa has had an ear to the door for a little bit, giving particular notice to any skittering, chittering, slithering, squeaking, and other signs of inhabitants.
    (1d20+6)[26]

If he hears noise from the other end of the door he swings the it open, announcing his presence to all

If he hears nothing, he will slowly open the door, giving the following room a once-over before looking back at the party. Coming?
    I will see your Peasant Railgun and raise you a Kobold Particle Accelerator.

19. - Top - End - #79

Blognaa hears nothing from the room over the sound of rain and discovers nothing when he glances in..and offers to take the lead!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

(1d20)[15](15) +2 search, +2 stone cunning(?)

Balrik had been busying himself by investigating the stone work of the tower, trying to narrow down at least who made the thing, though the obvious damage and poor shape the tower was in would more than likely make the job more difficult.

21. - Top - End - #81

Spoiler: balrik
    Show
    with your might dwarf senses combined!! You figure this tower is sitting around 400 years old and is in much better shape considering you can see signs of this place being besieged multiple times it's not dwarven good but it comes close to a great imitation

You see a mix of various races at work though..elf human, orc..its hard to tell where one group begins and the other ends though

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Gorwin follows Blognaa inside

23. - Top - End - #83

DruidGuy

Fenix goes third, crossbow knocked, low ready position- finger off the trigger (being specific because my dice have been hating me)

barnabas, do you want a torch?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"A torch would be incredibly handy, I had no idea where to acquire them in town before I left. I can at least have a torch and a sword-arm free." Barnabas graciously accepts a torch and lights it holding it up over his head slightly and follows everyone in.

25. - Top - End - #85

DruidGuy

Fenix reaches in his bag, and pulls out a lit torch. Waving his hand through the flame:

Here, its Everburning. Light with no heat, brilliant spell really, as simple as it is, just give it back when we're done, it was a bit pricier than a standard torch.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Elf, human.... orc? Balrik's face scrunched up as he read the stone work, the mix of which Balrik could only assume was because it was constructed at once, under a skilled, for a non dwarf, artisan. The state of the tower too was in miraculous shape considering the obvious damage, it was solidly built. Shaking his head slightly as he stood he walked over to wear the others were, Listen up you lot, I found something interesting about the tower... He said, communicating what he had found about the tower as quickly as he could as he drew his axe, And there isn't much reason for man and orc to work together, much less elves. We should proceed with caution...

27. - Top - End - #87

DruidGuy

wait, wait, wait. How old?

Turns to the merchant

I thought you said this wasn't here last week? How sure are you we were on the same road you usually travel?

Actually, with all the magic in the air, who knows where the heck we are.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Four centuries, give or take a few decades, if I had to guess, Balrik said with a single nod, DOn't be too hard on the merchant, there are several enchantment that could disguise the tower, spell too probably, which begs the question. Who cast the spell and or enchantment?

29. - Top - End - #89

The merchant looks unnerved to hear balriks words ...I swear this is the same road minus all the rain!
    The merchant is to flustered to talk anymore and goes double checking the supplies and harnesses in case they need to run

Once the party goes inside (correct me if wrong but the order is blognaa,gorwin,fenix,balrik,and barbatos) they find themselves in a large room with 3 doors located west,east,and north respectively

There are shattered barrels and other old wooden remains that are unable to be identified along the walls..the room from west to east is about 60ft and north to south is 50ft
    ( I apologize. But I'm terrible at trying to make maps so 90% of our lives will be in our imagination)
    Its damp and the sound of rain echoes inside the room..

30. - Top - End - #90

DruidGuy

d6 Re: Dark Tales IC

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal_Shadow13 View Post
    Four centuries, give or take a few decades, if I had to guess, Balrik said with a single nod, DOn't be too hard on the merchant, there are several enchantment that could disguise the tower, spell too probably, which begs the question. Who cast the spell and or enchantment?
    Quietly
    not trying to be hard on him, no need to be too easy on him, better they freak out a little now than snap later; and I swept the keep, it's not magical. The storm brought us here, or weakened the veil between worlds or something.
    Should I ward them while we're gone? Have one prepared that stuns those who aren't wearing The Twin Flames, lasts a couple hours.