The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Episode II: The Gathering Storm IC Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    "Is it a fancy hotel?" Kikari asks. "It is just that I may need to change if it is."
    "It is. Our friends treats himself well."

Gial suppressed a whistle of amazement (at least, unlike with Wizbam's yacht, the opulent display wasn't its own end, so he could actually appreciate it) and, acting like he belonged, he made a beeline for a couch (one that had its back against a wall or otherwise obstructed, of course) and plopped down.

"Keep an eye out in case he shows up." he said to Kikari, the pulled out his trusty datapad. It was entirely possible Anfopor had made a reservation under a fake name, of course, but it was worth checking.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Improve Access to the hotel's network. here's a few rolls, but obviously I won't keep trying if I get backtraced or the like.
    Best of (1d20+22)[37], (1d20+22)[32];
    Best of (1d20+22)[24], (1d20+22)[35];
    Best of (1d20+22)[38], (1d20+22)[24];
    Best of (1d20+22)[37], (1d20+22)[29];
    Best of (1d20+22)[33], (1d20+22)[24].

Also taking 10 for 25 Deception to behave unsuspiciously, if necessary.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-06-04 at 08:06 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"I was really lookin' forward ta fittin' Mister Jenos for a Kessel Necktie," Shyar said, looking and sounding annoyed with Jas. Then she sighed and gestured at Zavi to release Felton. "Welcome ta da Syndicate, boys. Da real one.

"Ya first job is ta make dis place presentable before da law gets here.

"Go check on Ray, will ya?"
    she asked Zavi. At least that one she'd be able to touch and do her mind thing to see if he was for real this time.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

On the way to the hotel, Kikari does her best to clean up her appearance. There obviously isn't a great deal available, but she at least manages to look clean, if a little overburdened, and not at all like a Jedi. Which is the most important thing when they have to be in the presence of one.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom: Jas looks like he’s going to be sick but Felton just looks at the corpse and kicks it, still keeping his hands up.

“There is meat locker in basement, can hide bodies there,” he said in accented basic, “blaster holes...”

He shrugs.

“Maybe we run,” he said, “leave bodies here.”

Coruscant:
    Gial busies himself with slicing into the hotel’s network, but he’s not able to find a room for Anfopor, he must be using an alias. While Gial is busy, Kikari notices a group of peculiar looking individuals enter and head towards the function rooms. They’re wearing business suits but the way they carry themselves and scan the area speaks of combat training. Some of them are carrying heavy cases.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ah, well. Too bad.

To be honest, though, Gial would have been more surprised if he had found the room this way. He shrugged, and proceeded to work his way into the surveillance system. How many Kubaz could possibly be lodging at this hotel all at once?

Show
    If it's a separate system, more rolls.
    Best of (1d20+22)[29], (1d20+22)[32];
    Best of (1d20+22)[23], (1d20+22)[32];
    Best of (1d20+22)[28], (1d20+22)[23];
    Best of (1d20+22)[36], (1d20+22)[25];
    Best of (1d20+22)[29], (1d20+22)[36].

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As suggested, Zavi had dropped Felton once everything seemed to be over. Much as she enjoyed the excuse to cut loose, there simply wasn't any need to hurt him further.

Probably.

"So, who's next in line after his craziness there? Got arrangements to make - the smoother we handle the transition, the quicker we can get back to gettin' rich."

With no-one else in any hurry to untie Ray, Zavi goes to do it herself. Doesn't stop her talking, though. "I suppose you could run if you want to. We're not gonna kill you for that. Probably. But we're not planning purges either - well, not unless your people keep trying ta kill us - and when I said we wanted to recruit the lot of you wholesale, it wasn't a lie. You're all welcome to stay, keep your positions. It just means you get to work under someone a little closer ta sane than Jenos was."

Spoiler
    Show
    Zavi's breakin' out her persuasive voice! As in making persuasion checks. Now that we're back out of combat, she's going back to taking 10s - scoring 24.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Da travel agency, da titty bar-we can stage it as somebody after Mister Jenos' life. Which ain't far from da truth. Did Mister Jenos have any other places around here we can run ta? Collect anything dat we need ta keep things running, or will be incriminatin' in da law's hands. But try ta leave just enough ta link Mister Jenos to da travel agency."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom:
    Ray pushes past Zavi and sees Jenos' body, even as Felton curses and says something probably offensive in some other language.
    His face contorts in rage and he rushes over to the fallen cryogun but the much larger and physically fit Felton quickly puts him into a headlock, restraining him.

"Him and Jenos were friends since they were kids," Jas explained.

Coruscant:
    There are a lot of guests constantly coming and going from the lobby. You don't manage to spy a kubaz on an initial quick scan but it seems every other person is wearing some kind of cloak or robe or hood or mask or breathing apparatus. How long do you want to search?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"'Were' bein' da key word," Shyar said, walking over to kick the hose away from Jas. "Like I said, he was goin' down. An' dere's plenty of room in Chaos if he meant dat much to ya." The carbine in her hand clicked ominously as Shyar set it to semi-auto.

((Persuasion - (1d20+9)[11]))

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I'm sorry for your loss, Ray. I mean, I won't miss him personally, but... I've lost people before." Zavi was lying. She'd never lost anyone that truly mattered to her. She'd run away from several, but that was hardly the same thing... Still, wouldn't stop her faking concern, even to the point of placing a comforting hand on his shoulder (so she could sift through his thoughts to check if he was actually planning to try and kill them or he'd just gone for the cryogun in the heat of the moment). "And I wish I could make this easier on you, " She didn't, but it sounded good, didn't it? "but... well, we play the hands we're dealt. And this one was a lot messier than we were hoping for."

Spoiler
    Show

"Deception Check" - (1d20+14)[28]
    "Deception Check Re-Roll, if the above scores under 5" - (1d20+14)[20]
    Using the MIND PROBE on him! As suggested in the narrative, she's trying to find if he'll still be out for vengeance once he's had time to cool down. Taking 10 on the roll for a 29.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom:
    Zavi encounters a wall of rage and grief, almost animalistic. Ray wants to kill anything and everything, right now. It’s impossible to tell what he’ll be like when he calms down, though it seems this is a deep grief and pain which would be difficult to overcome.

Felton holds Ray immobile, literally pinning him to the ground.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shyar looked a Zavi, with a questioning eyebrow raised.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gial searches for the security footage from around the time of the shooting - an hour before to an hour after, roughly - and passes it through a recognition software, checking for matches between people going out and returning back in.

Show
    Pretty sure there's a recognition software lying around from previous adventures. Maybe I should be keeping a list...
    Anyway, I suppose this means rolling Use Computer instead of Perception. (1d20+22)[33]

It goes without saying, of course, that as soon as Kikari informed him of the peculiar guests, he would leave the program to run on its own and take a look at the live feed from the function rooms.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Gial takes a look at the live feeds, and oddly enough there is no sign of the rough looking folks from earlier. They definitely headed to the function rooms, but all the cameras set up there show empty rooms, some of them with sunlight slanting through the windows, but all of them devoid of sentients.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-06-09 at 07:15 PM.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

...hmm...

Gial checked to see if the cameras were being spoofed; if not, then there had to be some kind of secret passage. So, either they were going get caught up in some kind of attack, or those were someone's (Anfopor's, most likely) goons.

Not sure what's better.

Show
    Use Computer (1d20+22)[28] to check for spoofing or other signs that the feeds are being tampered with.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...I don't think I'm getting through to him, " Zavi notes, withdrawing her hand and straightening up again. "If you want us to spare the vengeance-crazed man, now's the time to speak." Like Shyar, Zavi draws her blaster. Though she has a finger hovering over the mode selector switch - it seems she'd be willing to just stun Ray if the others spoke up in his defence.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom: Ray seems to calm down at the realization it might be his brains splattered all over the floor if he doesn't.

"I kill him, we split his share of business fifty-fifty," Felton said. Ray started struggling again to no avail.

"Don't listen to this foreign #*$&!" Ray said, "he'll stab you in the back the first chance he gets!"

Coruscant: On closer inspection, the live-feeds of the function rooms appear to have been replaced with immobile pictures overlaid with a time and date graphic. It's a good bet someone doesn't want anyone to know what's going on in there.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Heh."

Too bad Gial didn't really care about (others') privacy. He promptly started to counter the spoof - though only for what his datapad was concerned. He didn't want to cause a commotion by letting security see what was actually happening, for the moment at least.

Show
    Use Computer (1d20+22)[36]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolic sine View Post
    "Heh."

Too bad Gial didn't really care about (others') privacy. He promptly started to counter the spoof - though only for what his datapad was concerned. He didn't want to cause a commotion by letting security see what was actually happening, for the moment at least.

Show
    Use Computer [roll0]
    After countering the spoof, you realize there is no signal coming from three of the function rooms: Org, Val, and Pal.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gial frowned, and tried to reactivate the cameras remotely. Hopefully they hadn't been smashed to pieces.

Show
    Thought I already posted. Anyway, Use Computer 25 (OOC).
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-06-12 at 02:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shyar had to admit, Felton's readiness to kill Ray for his share of the operation sure lent strength to Ray's accusation. Still, she wasn't interested in playing grief counselor.

She nodded. "Cross him off."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom:
    Felton strangles Ray until he stops moving, then picks up a blaster pistol and shoots him in the head to make sure. The whole process takes about a minute.

Spoiler
    Show
    shyar take a dark side point for ordering someone’s death like a boss.

Coruscant:

Gial has no luck reactivating the cameras, they may be physically disabled or disconnected.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shyar stood by with the carbine at the ready, but once it became clear Felton had Ray under control, she asked Zavi for her own blaster back. In hindsight, she should have done it during the whole talking thing earlier.

Then she turned to Jas. "Don't just stand dere. Any records or things we need, get 'em now. And da security recordings? Base delta zero treatment."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gial bobbed his eyes in annoyance, then searched for the hotel's planimetry. He wasn't sure trying to peek the old fashioned way - and he supposed he would have to ask Kikari's opinion - but if he ended up doing it, he'd need to know where the ventilation ducts went.

I really need to buy a probe drone.

Show
    Use Computer (1d20+22)[23]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Zavi was more than happy to hand the blaster back. Mainly because, as she'd pointed out before, the trigger assembly was all wrong for someone with fingers like hers...

"What are your usual procedures for disposing of 'inconvenient' people? If you've got a way to make'em disappear without the authorities following up on it, we can use that. Otherwise we'll have to fake up a Jenos/Ray fight that ended up in Jenos being shot dead by the security staff, or something..."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Zoccom:

Jas jumped up and ran down the stairs into the basement.
    Felton shrugged in response to Zavi’s question.

“Sometimes freeze and shatter, sometimes bury, sometimes burn, depend on mood,” he replied, “this time different, lots witness, maybe big problem if police come. Maybe can bribe, maybe not. Maybe better burn everything and collect insurance. Jenos owned building, maybe need to ‘convince’ insurance to pay too.”

He shrugged again and made a sound which vaguely resembles flatulence, then moved to the sink to start cleaning the blood from his pants.

Coruscant:
    Gial isn’t able to pull up floor plans. It looks unlikely the ventilation shafts are large enough to squeeze into, however.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"How much of da force did Mister Jenos have on da take?" Shyar asked Felton. Then she turned to Zavi. "Think ya can make did blow over wit da law, or should we torch da joint?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Tch."

Out of options, Gial leaned towards Kikari. "What do you want to do? There's obviously something going on inside there, and it's quite possible it has to do with our pearl."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    "How much of da force did Mister Jenos have on da take?" Shyar asked Felton. Then she turned to Zavi. "Think ya can make did blow over wit da law, or should we torch da joint?"
    Felton simply shrugged. Apparently he doesn’t know.

Jas returned with an armload of data tapes from the basement.
    “All the docs are in the storage room,” he said, attempting not to drop any.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shyar quickly looked around for a box or bag to hold everything before rushing off to the storage room.