New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

d20 [IC] The Mysterious Case of New Ceres

She wasn't the biggest starship in the fleet of the United Galaxy. She wasn't the sleekest, or the fastest. Nor was she the most well-equipped. But none of those things seemed important for this mission. No, the important thing about the Inheritance was that she had a crew that was willing to gamble.

There was, of course, Lavendi. Getting up there in years, now, this was the woman's last hurrah. She had been a captain for many years, now, but decided it was time to hand over the reins to younger folk. However, the lure of adventure called to her despite her years - and Kane was an old friend. So when the boy proposed such a dangerous expedition, she did what she could to help him pull a ship and crew out of the woodwork.

The Captain that they found was a bold, untested android known simply as Colata. New to her body, and thus new to the stars and to travel, she was eager to prove her mettle among the Starfinders. Apparently, the soul that had last occupied her body - someone named Urbos - had been a leader in the field, had done many great things, and so Colata had big shoes to fill. Left with Urbos' ship and crew, Colata quickly and eagerly took up the mantle of leader, winning the respect of the crew of her research vessel (at least, the two that stuck around) with her great charisma and willingness to listen to others. She knows she has a lot to learn - but she is more than ready for a challenge.

Then, there are the brothers, Brutus and Titus. This is Colata's crew. The two ysoki are skilled in many fields and versatile in their expertise, able to fill many roles which were left vacant after Urbos left her body to make room for a new soul within. They feel a strong, familiar kinship to the Captain, and have considered her a sister for some years - she simply transitioned from "big sister" with Urbos to "little sister" with Colata. For this reason, they were the most loyal, and stuck around - and will continue to stick around - through all sorts of danger.

Finally, there's Sirin Gristlebrow. An uptight, no-nonsense dwarf, fitting the stereotype of many of his people, he has come along as the official member of the Starfinder Society in order to legitimize and subsidize this expedition. For some unknown reason, he has been Kane's biggest supporter within the society, completely bankrolling the expedition out of his own funds; paying for crew, fuel, supplies, everything. Even so, he still seems incredibly pessimistic about the success of this trip. Perhaps he follows the old adage of "wishing for good luck is bad luck," because he refuses to say anything hopeful or positive about the trip - nonetheless, he must believe in its potential, not only funding it, but coming along himself.

Spoiler: Lavendi Calyx, Pilot, Extraplanar Expert
    Show

Spoiler: Colata, Captain
    Show

Spoiler: Brutus, Gunner, Sensor Operator
    Show

Spoiler: Titus, Engineer, Scientist
    Show

Spoiler: Sirin Gristlebrow, Navigator, Secondary Pilot, Starfinder Society
    Show

These were the brave - and perhaps foolish - adventurers that would be coming along with Kane on his trip to the mysterious planet of New Ceres. For good or ill - they had a day left to prepare. The jump was set for 24 hours from now.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Mysterious Case of New Ceres

Kane was never the prideful sort. Perhaps it was the years, perhaps centuries of past lives dwelling in the back corners of his mind, or perhaps it was the raw awareness he felt for how small he was in the world's grand scheme. Standing in the ruins of ancient temples and forgotten kingdoms. But regardless of origin, he was often quite humble in his general dealings. And so it was with a deeply thankful heart that the near-century old Samsaran looked idly at the personnel files of this, the crew Lavendi had gathered him.

Old Ceres had always been a dream to him. Both literally and metaphorically. An ancient, missing piece of his soul which called out to him, both in his soul and in the pulsing green sigil upon the back of his right hand. So it was that he'd scarcely imagined himself alone ever amassing the clout to get there, much less enough to do so with the benefit of a crew.

One by one, he took in the crew as they stood there. Lavendi, his old friend. The first pilot to ever stand foolish enough to take him on, and the first to revel with him in his first ever true find. To her, he had only thanks, and appreciation for her want to have one final hurrah.

Colata, a woman who was in many ways his equal and opposite. A newborn soul to an ancient body, rather than an ancient soul to a body anew. But both of them filled with a sense of -appropriately enough- inheritance in filling the empty space that was the past of their formers.

Brutus and Titus. The two Ysoki who followed their captain loyally. To them, he felt a conflicting opinion. As he knew that their lives were far shorter than the majority of their peers. That they more than anyone else were committing their lifetimes to the mission. But he also knew enough about their level of allegiance that neither would have it any other way.

And then there was Sirin. The mirthless man of mystery. For him, he had truly the most to thank for, but at the same time he was also keenly aware of the elder Starfinder's incongruously sour opinion of the whole ordeal. He'd yet to have the time to truly crack the reason as to why, but the youthful Samsaran had decided that, given the circumstances, he'd either have plenty of time to find out if they survived, and little reason to care if they did not. Regardless, for him he felt a sense of duty. A sense that this trip was a promise as much as a dream. And felt all the more inclined to do his best to see it succeed as a direct and proportional result.

With a smile on his face and a spring in his step for which he held no understanding nor shame, the white-haired man strode towards the ship's humble bridge, set to make the final checks and assurances before the big jump in 24 hours' time. He hoped to be able to talk to Colata and Lavendi at some point individually or together. To gather the blessings of both the captain and planar expert before it was left to him to plot his half-blind course -a course he felt more so than knew- towards their ultimate destination of the ancient, lost world of Ceres. In that moment of doubt, Kane shook his head to disrupt the notion. "Aw come on, Kane. No sense doubting yourself now. You've put every card on the table at this point. All that's left is to hope for an ace on the river..." He murmurs to himself. Unsure of where exactly his card game metaphor came from, but thankful for its optimism, from whatever past life it may well have been sourced.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-03-29 at 07:46 AM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Lavendi, it seemed, was not on the ship - she was likely in the station, making calls and visits here and there. The woman had quite the large extended family, most of whom were against this final trip, so the elf was doing all she could to reassure them she would be fine, and to give her goodbyes and promises she would return. It was quite a lot of calls to make.

But Kane wasn't completely out of luck. Colata was on the bridge, giving everything a once-over. She was careful not to touch the buttons, or mess with any of the instruments - even though she was captain, and owner of the ship, she wasn't really an expert - yet - on the ins and outs of how the vessel worked. Still, she knew how to look for blaring red lights and obvious errors, of which she found none. The two ysoki had been through the ship with a fine-toothed comb to make sure everything would be ready for tomorrow.

As Kane appeared on the bridge, the andriod lifted her head, looking over her shoulder to offer the samsaran a smile in greeting. "Hey," she addressed him, calm and casual. "Big day tomorrow... you about ready?" she asked.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The cerulean-skinned man smiles towards the android in light of her question. His voice reassuring, even if hinted with pragmatic doubt. "I think I've been ready for years, honestly." Kane admits, a bashful laugh escaping his lips in his bout honesty. "But, that being said... I guess I'm as ready as I can be. Uncertainty being kind of the core of this whole mission." He looks towards her with a curious eye. Clearly still somewhat taken aback at the fresh-faced captain's willingness to go along with things.

"What about you? Do you feel ready about all this? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but I'd never really thought that anyone would be willing to follow me into the void on this one. Let alone a whole captain and crew." He explains, continuing his frankness. If this woman and her men were to follow him into the cold unknown that was the promise of finding Ceres, he had to know her motives. It was the barest kindness he could offer her, in light of the sacrifice she stood to bear in the lot of this.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-03-29 at 08:04 AM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Colata offers Kane a smile. "...in truth, I feel like I have an awful lot to live up to. From what I've heard of the previous captain from Brutus and Titus... this is exactly the sort of thing that Urbos would have gone for. An adventure into the unknown! Scant chance of success, scanter chance of return! Perhaps there's just something in this body of mine that makes such things irresistible. I find myself quite eager for tomorrow," she says, her smile growing. There is, naturally, a bit of nervousness in her eyes. Not only will this be her first real expedition, but it will be a grand foray into the unknown, doing something that no one has ever attempted before. Still, she seems resolved, and not about to back away now that everything is about ready to go. "I am ready."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kane can't help but smile at Colata in return as he watches her steel her resolve against the oncoming adventure. Truly, Lavendi had outdone herself in finding the absolute best woman for the job ahead. He nods his head in deference to her. "I can sympathize with the feeling of a past life drawing you into adventure. I'm pretty sure I've been exploring the world all my life for much the same reason." His smile grows softer, trying to be more assuring. "Thank you for your courage, Colata. For what it's worth, I'll do my very best to ensure that your hope is not misplaced."

The Samsaran glances down at the data pad in his hands, considering the rest of the crew. "I don't suppose you know where anyone else besides Lavendi is at the moment? I know I'm technically a glorified map for the main leg of the journey, but I'd feel bad if I didn't take the chance to wish everyone well on the journey ahead before our big moment." He offers, hoping that, in doing that small enough a favour, he could provide some modicum of betterment to the lives of the crew in preparation for their journey.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're more important than that. A glorified map, I mean," Colata speaks. After saying the words, she seems to become just the slightest bit embarrassed. "What I mean, is, you're a friend. And so long as you're aboard the Inheritence, you're my responsibility, as well. Anything you need, just let me know," she says, folding her arms in front of her and flashing Kane a warm smile. At his question as to where the others might be, she tilts her head in thought for a moment before she answers. "I wouldn't be surprised if Brutus and Titus were somewhere aboard the ship. Finding them might be a bit of a chore... they told me they were going to check the engines, the drivers... they're about somewhere. Crawling in the vents, maybe!" she says with a light laugh. "In which case, they would be able to hear us from here. Perhaps they'll find you? As for Sirin... the man's a mystery to me. Dwarves like to drink? Maybe he's on the station, too."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kane smiles at Colata's warm regards towards him. It was all he could've asked for and more that someone so warming in their presence would act as a leader in his journey, and he would remain thankful for his fortune ever after for it. He chuckles at her mention of the Ysoki technicians and their effervescence. "Well then, if that's the case, then I suppose they could intercept me as I head for the nearest bar on the station!" He calls out jovially into the air, on the off chance they could actually hear him. Regardless, the Samsaran shakes his head. "Failing that, I think I will be heading out to said bar. See if I can catch a good word or two with Sirin before we shove off. Failing that... I think one final drink on the station is exactly what I need, regardless."

He nods to the Android in deference. "Thanks for the kind words, Colata. I appreciate your willingness to help me. And I am happy to consider you a friend in return." He moves to walk off the bridge, waving to the metallic-haired woman as he leaves. "See you in twenty four hours. Though... If you find the time once you're done diagnostics, feel free to stop by the bar yourself. If you're willing to offer me anything I might need, the least I can offer you is a cold drink and a warm meal in return." Kane smiles sincerely, happy to extend an olive branch whenever he can. He will wait patiently for her response, and then regardless, head off towards the exit from the ship, and towards the local tavern. Eager to celebrate his good fortunes, and possibly encounter the enigmatic Dwarf man in the process.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Colata grins at Kane, nodding at his offer and offering him a wave as he departs. "I might just take you up on that - provided everything is set for the big jump tomorrow!" she says. Then, she returns to her work, checking system after system to make sure all is in order.

In fact, Kane does end up being waylaid before leaving the ships. Whether the ysoki have a supernatural sense for a free meal, the fact that they did hear him shouting, or even the simple happenstance that they were in the right place, the two brothers met Kane at the doors of the ship. Both perked up at the sight of him, grinning. "'Lo, there," Titus speaks up, ears pricking forward as Brutus closes up a panel and puts away a couple tools in his belt. "Just changing a couple indicator lights! Important we stay informed about the status of the air lock, you know!"

"Heading off?" Brutus asks, his much deeper, gruffer voice interrupting his brother.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kane smiles as he notices the two Ysoki doing their final rounds of the ancilliary systems of the ship. Waving back towards them as he greets the brothers happily. "Just for a bit, yeah! Suddenly realized that this may well be the last time for a good long while that I may have the option to wet my beak, and thought I'd do my best to have one last night of simple pleasure before I dive headfirst into the adventure of a lifetime." He raises an eyebrow at both of them. "I don't suppose either one of you would be willing to join me now or later? I'm well aware of how important final checks are, but the last thing we want is all of us high strung before the moment of truth, right?" He offers. Trying to be inviting, but not pushy as he endeavours to offer one final reprieve to the two ever-dedicated furry technicians.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The two brothers look at one another, conversing quickly in ysoki as they considered the offer. From what Kane could tell, Titus was quite excited by the offer, while Brutus was calmer about the whole thing. That was the way of the two brothers, from what Kane had noticed. Titus always eager to explore both in and out of the ship, while Brutus seemed much more comfortable onboard. Brutus treated the Inheritance like his baby, wanting to make sure everything was all right with her and ready to go, while Titus was more just along for the ride.

"We might join you in a little bit. Or, at least, I will," Titus finally said back in Common, offering Kane a smile.

"Let me open up the door for ya," Brutus added, tapping a code into the door so Kane could get off the ship.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-05-07 at 11:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Kane had to admit, he often felt restless whenever he was left out of a conversation. At least conversations which he could not understand. Ever a man seeking to understand things, the concept of being utterly left out of a discourse by simple dint of an uncommon tongue often unnerved him, especially given that the man himself could speak nearly a dozen languages as easy as breathing. So it was that the man looked visibly relieved and excited at the two Ysoki brothers when Titus and Brutus finally answered. The youthful explorer ever-amused at the two Ysoki's dichotomous personalities, and how they somehow both meshed so well together despite them.

"Well then, I suppose I'll see however many of you come whenever you do." He explains cordially. Turning to nod in thanks to Brutus as he begins opening the hatch for the white-haired Samsaran. "Until then, or until I get back, best of luck with the final setup before the trip!" He cheers, before moving to step off the now steadily unfolding entrance stairwell of the ships main door. Off towards the bar scene of the shipyard, and where he hopes to find the last unaccounted for member of the crew. Or at the very least, the makings of a fun night, before he and the crew were set off towards the wild, long-forgotten unknown.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The pub which Kane finds is the only one on the small station, a rather well-put-together place by the name of Stardrop Saloon. The place, in fact, seems to be the nicest stop on the entire station. Following Kane's instincts and jumbled maps and ancient coordinates has put the party on the edge of civilization to make their fateful jump in the morning, but even out here, the booze joint is the most prosperous. It is, therefore, the main gathering hub, the main restaurant, and of course the main watering hole for a few light years in any direction.

A few people look up as Kane enters the room. The station isn't overly crowded, and the bar is only hosting about seven people including its workers. Immediately eye catching right as Kane walks in the door is a human man outfitted to the nines with weapons and armor, a classic eye patch over his left eye. A bounty hunter, to be sure, looking for recruits in the backwater station, people who have little to do and are willing to take risks. He, however, recognizes Kane as 'that crazy boy performing the jump to nowhere' and does not approach, merely goes back to his drink. Also in the pub are a pair of quarreling Lashunta - at least, you think they are quarreling. They are scowling at one another, antennae twitching spasmodically, and they do not glance up as the door swings open.

Aside from the bartender and two serving maids, that leaves one other man in the pub - the very dwarf Kane has been seeking. Sirin is huddled up against the bar in a chair that is just slightly too short for him. His elbows are therefore both on the edge of the bar to give himself a little extra lift as he reaches for what seems to be his second mug of ale. He glances towards the door as he hears it open, lets out a sigh, and motions to the barkeep to bring another drink over. When Kane arrives by the dwarf, there is a mug of spiced mead already waiting on him, the same stuff that Sirin himself is drinking.

"Boy,"
    the dwarf greets informally.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Kane always felt at home in taverns. It wasn't exactly a sensation he could fully explain, of course. But time and research had told him that such feelings were likely echoes of his past. Generations upon generations of lives all finding commonality in this, one of the few mainstays of society which, despite centuries upon centuries of concerted development and growth, was fundamentally the same as it always had been. The idea of a far off watering hole. The last stop between an adventurer and their adventure.

Paying only cursory note to the other patrons of the bar, the Samsaran made a beeline for Sirin once he recognized the Dwarf from across the room. The young archeologist nodded and, perhaps despite his better judgment, smiled over at the grizzled, bearded fellow as he seated himself beside the aged Starfinder. Nodding to the bartender as he graciously received the mug of mead he was given. He addresses Sirin in a similarly casual fashion. "Sirin." He addresses. Side-eying the older fellow whilst getting a firm grip on the generous mug of ale. Kane can't help but chuckle, raising the mug towards the Dwarf in acknowledgment. "Appreciate the gift, friend. Though, given all the other bills you're footing on my behalf, I can't help but feel like I'm getting dangerously close to leeching off your generous nature." He jeers, taking a long swig of the mug of ale in order to leave Sirin an opening to respond. The ale went down with a sharpness belying its spice. But, much as it was with the tavern itself, the taste was oddly comforting as it passed over the young Samsaran's tongue. Echoes of toasts to long life and fortune running through his mind. The idle hope lingering that this, too, was a toast to something good that lie ahead of him.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Baaah," the dwarf hums in stereotypically dwarven fashion. "Can't take it with me if we all die, and who knows if they even use electrum where we're going?" Sirin points out. He simply picks up his own ale and takes another long drink from it, though a drop escapes and runs down his grizzled beard. He feels it drip down, and his tongue chases after it when he lowers the mug. "You want somethin'?" he asks, old eyes still keen and curious as to the boy's motivations as he looks to Kane.

Spoiler: A note
    Show
    Electrum is the main currency now used in the galaxy, as its a far more common element than gold. But for simplicity's sake, electrum is valued the same as gold pieces.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kane chuckles at Sirin's directness. Dwarf's never were ones to walk around an issue in conversation. And THAT was something he'd come to understand perfectly fine within this life alone. "Well that's a complicated question. All I want is to get to that Goddess-blasted planet in something approaching one piece." He takes another draw of the massive mug of ale. Appreciating the pleasant burning as it pools in the pit of his stomach. Letting the fire stoke him forward. "But, whilst I'd hate to be too greedy, I'd also like to know a bit more about my crewmates before we go and take the plunge. It's the least I can do, after all. When the lot of them are willing to dive headfirst into oblivion based on nothing but my trustworthy face and faith."

The Samsaran's pond blue eyes harden slightly. His voice taking on a more direct tone himself, hoping it would be appreciated by his newfound drinking buddy. "And, if you don't mind, I think a perfect place to start would be asking you why? Why throw your lot in with me? I know I've made a name for myself, sure. But even someone as sure of my credentials as Lavendi had to fight some better judgments to join me. I don't suppose you owe a past life of mine a favour?" He asks, semi-jokingly. Though, he did have to admit, the premise had quite seriously crossed his mind at least once before this, the final days before the start of their perilous journey.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, you have to reach friendship level 3 to unlock my tragic backstory.

Sirin grunts in reply, looking over to Kane. He does seem to appreciate the direct approach the Samsaran takes on. Like most dwarves, Sirin doesn't have much use for beating around the bush, so to speak, and as old as he is, much of his patience seems like it was wasted on his youth. "The past is the past, and I'm not particularly bothered with it," Sirin answers, taking another long swig of his hot, spiced drink. "What's of more importance is the present. I'm an old man with money and no children or grandchildren to leave it to. Sure as hell don't want to leave it to the society, who knows what it would go to. Your mission caught my eye, boy, and even if this is all a crapshoot, you're a young buck with some potential that needs to get off the ground. You're going places, and even if that place is straight into chaos, you deserve a shot."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kane can't help but chuckle at Sirin's description of him. It was a damning praise, but it was praise nonetheless. And, having heard stories of the Starfinder society, recklessness was a common occurrence in such lines of work. And, oftentimes, carried with it a value that was worth its weight in gold. "Well then." He muses, raising a mug to the Dwarf in a call for cheers. "Here's to boldly diving forward. Wherever fate may land us." He smiles. Not quite sure of anything to do with his future. But sure enough that here, in the present, he was best served doing right by the people who had faith in him.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Only a few hours later - hours which both seemed to drag on forever and rush by in an instant - the crew was gathered in the bridge of the Inheritance. This wasn't where all of them would be for the jump, Brutus and Titus would be closer to the engine room to keep an eye on everything there, but with only ten minutes left before they proceeded, now was the time for any final words of encouragement and hope to be shared among the crew. Lavendi, a beaming smile on her face, rested her elbow on Kane's shoulder as she leaned against him.

"You ready?" she asks, seeming coolly confident in the minutes leading up to their jump into oblivion.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I've kept you waiting long enough! (Sorry, by the way ^^;) Let's do this!

Kane should've been nervous.

By all rights, the man should currently be terrified. Here he was, mere moments from the single most insane idea he, or perhaps anyone has had in perhaps the entire recorded history of space flight. Staring down the precipice of a hopeful, impossible maybe, with nothing but the support of people just brave enough (or perhaps just foolish enough) to believe in him.

And yet... All he could feel was assured. He couldn't explain it -He almost never could- but some part of him felt absolutely confident that, at least in the broad strokes, everything was going to work out. As though not just Lavendi's, but a hundred other hands were at his back. Holding him steady whilst simultaneously pushing him on. Warm, confident smile upon his face, he turned to look Lavendi in her ethereal, prismatic purple eyes, and nods. Smiling with his own limpid blue. "Yeah... I'm ready." He assures her, before turning to look at the assembled crew. "I've been told on some occasions that I have a certain way with words. But... Well, you'll forgive me if I admit I don't think there exist words able to fully articulate how thankful I am to the lot of you." He smiles. "You folk have put your trust and faith in me. In this whole mission. And all I can say is that I hope with every fiber of my being that I can be worth that trust and confidence." The Samsaran spared a glance to each crewman individually. "We all have our jobs. And we all know damn well how to do them. All that's left now is to hold steady, keep it together, and try our best to end up somewhere once we breach our way out the other side." Kane's smile breaks out into a massive grin. Unable to hide his excitement as adrenaline surges through him. "Now come on team!" He cheers. Striking his palm across the railing his stood in front of for added emphasis. "Let's do the impossible!"

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The crew takes its positions, everyone as prepared as they can be. Colata sits in the bridge, straight backed in her Captain's chair with a serene smile on her face - even if the ends of her hair crackle with a little bit of static to betray the nerves she is feeling beneath. Beside her are the chairs for Sirin and Kane, and right in front of them, at the front of the ship, Lavendi takes control.

Kane gives the best directions he is able to give, but the entire crew knows they are flying on a wing and a prayer. Speaking of prayers - Sirin does send one off, muttering to himself an old Dwarven verse to Amm and Shams as the coordinates are put in.

"Everyone hang on!" Lavendi says, both through the bridge and over the intercom as well, so Brutus and Titus know to get themselves secured with the engines.

3... 2... 1.

It isn't anyone's first time on a jump. But it's the first time a jump like this has been attempted, and breathlessly the Inheritance disappears into the unknown. For the first few seconds, everything seems well - the ride is smooth, the G's are normal. Tolerable, even. But then, something strange happens.

"What is that?"
    Coloata asks, leaning forward in her chair a bit as a strange purple glow appears in the distance - rapidly growing closer as the ship approaches. Lavendi takes manual control, not liking the look of the strange light and attempting to maneuver around it, though they can't veer too far off course... the skilled pilot manages to get the ship skirting around the edges, not going directly through the center of the glow as the ship had been aimed. As the Inheritance passes through the light, it seems to pass right through the ship, unhindered by metal or technology. The light brushes over everyone's skin like a spiderweb, there and gone in an instant.

"Don't know what it was, Captain, but we dodged it-" Lavendi is saying - right when the engines cut. The power goes out, and the ship is at a standstill in the vast emptiness of space.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Kane was as perturbed as anyone when the purple haze appeared before them, and equally thankful as anyone else when Lavendi manages to avoid the majority of it. And now, stuck in a ship that had suddenly been utterly disengaged by the edges of that light, he he now shares evenly in all of their fears. The blue-skinned Samsaran looks about the room confused. Staggered by the absence of light, as his eyes struggle to adjust to the dark of the void. Almost without thinking, his right hand glows with an ethereal green hue. Summoning into his hand a small, but noticeably steady orange-yellow flame. He unclips himself from his chair and waves the flame about the room. Disregarding oxygen protocol in favour of the benefit of sight as he casts his gaze about the utterly unpowered room.

"Crap! What the hells just happened? Sirin! Is there any way we can still contact Titu- Colata!" The young man shouts. Rushing to the Android's side as he examines the sides of her head. Looking for the archetypal spark which would designate her as still functioning. Still living. He casts his voice out to the helm. "Lavendi! Status report! Where are we? And can you reclaim power to the ship?"
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-06-12 at 04:44 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The flickering firelight fills the bridge, revealing stunned expressions on Lavendi and Sirin's faces. They seem to still be trying to process what has happened - or what has potentially happened - while Kane is quicker to hop to. When he begins to speak, however, the other two snap out of their shock and do as requested. Sirin comes over to Colata's side, helping Kane look her over, as he also messes with the communications pad attached to his suit. "I'll go see if I can find 'em, this thing isn't working," he says after a few attempts at turning the comms back on.

"Status report... it looks like... hm-" Lavendi checks a few monitors, attemping percussive maintenance here and there, before shaking her head. "Seems like everything is powered down - hopefully we're not dead in the water. I'll attempt a manual reboot," she says. Any further information that she can give will have its accuracy dependent on what systems she can get running again.

Colata appears to still be breathing, and there does not seem to be damage done to her. Unconscious as she is, though, she cannot give direction as a Captain should.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kane breathes a sigh of relief as he looks over Colata's body, discovering signs of life. Slowly, he steps back, walking over to the front window of the Inheritance to look over the surrounding area. If they couldn't manage to get the nav system back online quickly, their eyes may be the greatest judge of their location they had. He calls out to Lavendi as he does so. "The Captain is breathing. But she's out cold. Whatever spell...Thing just hit us, it seems to have shorted her out too. But if she's not dead, it hopefully means the ship isn't dead either." He sighs worriedly. Holding his flaming hand to one side as he allows his eyes to readjust to the cold void of space. Hoping to see signs of something, anything to give the Samsaran an idea of just where exactly they were.

Show
    Let's give this a roll, shall we?

Perception: (1d20+7)[8] Turns out, fire + glass = GLARE! XD
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-06-13 at 04:49 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sorry for the delay
    Show
    Was on a trip for my birthday weekend! We did an escape room and went to the aquarium!! I saw my favorite kind of shark, it was so little and cute!

Kane spends a while looking out the window, unable to really make out anything much... but it doesn't take someone super observant to notice, after a while, that something is wrong. It takes a moment, but Kane realizes what's wrong - the stars, the nebulae, the planets around them, nothing was moving. They were not adrift in space - they were literally at a standstill.

Right as the Samsaran notices this, however, everything changes. Lavendi opens her mouth to speak - but what she says never comes out, instead replaced by a startled shriek as gravity suddenly takes hold out of nowhere. Their ship begins to plummet, and through the window, a sun suddenly appears in front of them, as if they have ripped suddenly through some black curtain of space and dropped right into a solar system. Below them - a planet covered in mossy green. They've found Ceres - and they are plummeting into its atmosphere at hull-shattering speed. The hull of the ship creaks and groans and - terrifyingly - bends, breaks, as they make entry into the lower atmosphere. Everything is searing hot, for a moment, and then, everything goes dark when they hit the ground. Unconsciousness takes over.

When Kane awakens, he is laying in the wreckage of the ship. The bridge appears mostly intact. Lavendi and Colata are still strapped into their chairs, unconscious, wounded. The back half of the ship - where Brutus, Titus, and Sirin were - is nowhere in sight. The wreckage is smoking, but nothing is immediately ablaze. And, at least, they survived.

Spoiler: Condition
    Show
    Congratulations, you, Colata, and Lavendi are now at exactly 0 HP!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: No Problem!
    Show
    Glad you had fun! That shark looks cool! Though, I can't quite place the species. Is it a Leapord Shark?

Kane awoke slowly. The world a painful, dizzying haze as he fought tooth and nail to slowly regain an even state of consciousness.

He awoke to the sight of the world sideways. Realizing quickly that he was lying flat on the front edge of the bridge. Wedged into the far wall, which had sheltered him from a rain of shattered reinforced glass from the forward viewport, which currently lay strewn about on the floor in front of him. Likely the last thing to give upon impact, as the mixture of heat and force finally caved it inwards.

Slowly, the world came into focus in a greater sense. The state of the ship, of Colata and Lavendi, and finally of himself slowly dawning on him. He hurt all over. Bruises, contusions, burns, and cuts littering his damaged frame. The ground around him was wet with an even, almost calming pool of limpid blue fluid. Looking like the Samsaran was laying in some sort of pleasant moon pool. The sight became distinctly less pleasant, however, when Kane realized he was in fact laying in a pool of his own river-blue blood. Despite the surprising quantity of blood loss, his wounds didn't seem too harsh to fix, at least on the outside. Though the shooting pain in his abdomen and chest told him he had suffered no shortage of internal damage. Likely in the form of internal hemorrhaging, as well as at least one broken rib. All of this came to him in an idle flash of insight. But it was all a mere errant distraction as, with a grim chill, he realized that he had to do something despite his state if he wanted to ensure the safety and survival of himself and the rest of his crew.

Slowly, with gritted teeth and jerky motions, Kane hauled himself to his feet. Where they are, or where Sirin, Titus, and Brutus were was not important. What mattered right now was ensuring the safety of the crew he could still account for. So, with painful step and laboured breath, the young Samsaran hobbled his way across the shattered bridge. Blue blood dropping in an idle trail until he reached Lavendi's console. Careful not to aggravate his wounds, Kane dropped down to his knees. Reaching into the underside of the console where, to his relief, he found the smooth metal casing of the medkit, still properly attached to its moorings. Once he'd pried it free of its latches, the blue-skinned explorer laid the box out in front of him and opened it. Finding within a decent assortment of various healing tonics. Each placed into a secure, reinforced glass bottle.

Aware of the gravity of the situation, Kane immediately singled out the three most potent potions within. Unstrapping the first of them and, with minor effort, undoing the cap and chugging the bottle's whole contents. Almost immediately, the man feels his strength return to him. Life flowing through his veins as wounds closed, burns eased themselves and bones, with only moderate discomfort, reset themselves within him. Gasping for air as he finishes the potion, and as he endured the sting of its effects, the man spared a brief moment to assess himself. He was still in bad shape, yes. But he was stable and healthy enough for action. And, until he'd consulted the rest of his remaining companions, that would be enough for right now.

Taking out the other two heavy duty potions, he closed up the medkit and set it aside for later. Before Kane stood up and, without missing another beat in his now fully-operational stride, walked over and gently poured a healing potion into each of the other two explorer's mouths. Careful to avoid spilling, he gave Lavendi her drink before moving swiftly on to Colata. Hoping the tonic would quickly do its job of awakening her as he set about revivifying the Captain in short order. Once he'd administered aid to both, he attempted to rouse both their attentions.

"Lavendi? Colata?" He called out, attempting to focus their minds on his voice, rather than what was no doubt a still-present dull roar of pain, as it was for him. "We're alive you guys. We made it." He explains. The words, perhaps for the first time, really settling their meaning into his mind. "We're... We're here. We're finally here..." He trails off. His gaze extending towards what was once the aft section of the ship. Hoping to catch a glimpse of the outside world. Of the long-lost landscape of the now FOUND planet of Ceres.

Show
    Time to roll some heals! Kane is using one of the two remaining Cure Serious Wounds potions on each of them.

Lavendi: (3d8+5)[19]

Colata: (3d8+5)[13]
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-06-18 at 11:00 AM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    It's called an epaulette shark! It walks on its little fins and can come on land to hunt in tide pools when it's low tide! They are smol.

Lavendi slowly stirs back to consciousness as she is given the potion, groaning in pain - Colata reacts much the same, but her wince is a little more firm as she opens her eyes. Thank goodness - it seems that whatever happened up in the sky wasn't permanent. Of course, it's not entirely clear how long the three of you have been laying here, unconscious... the fact that it took time for Colata's systems to power back up is largely lost on the group. They were all unconscious, anyway.

But then, as the two women gather themselves and get up, detangling themselves from the wreckage, they each follow Kane's gaze out the torn back of the ship. They can see the sky, hazy with either dawn or dusk, above where they crashed through the canopy - though the majority of the view is taken up by the rather large stone hill where their part of the ship crash-landed and skidded down.

"We're... here,"
    Lavendi says, completely stunned. Colata, meanwhile, is still groaning slightly, placing one hand over her right eye, then her left, then her right...

"I've lost vision in my left eye-"
    she reports, keeping her voice even. They're alive, that's what matters. It won't do to panic. And... they're here.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    That is adorable and great.

It takes a good long while for Kane to rip his eyes away from the sight before him. From the wide expanse of stone and greenery that, in the pit of his soul, he'd always dreamed of seeing with his own eyes. In time though, the call of centuries past quiets, and he is once again brought back to the present. To the state of the world around him, and moreover the state of his two present companions. He turns to look at Colata worriedly.

"Damn... Do you think you can continue despite it, Colata? With any luck, it'll come back in time. But... Well, if it doesn't, we aren't exactly within spitting distance of a repair shop..." His voice trails off as the Samsaran remembers another important aspect of the situation at hand. "Titus..." He breathes, before looking up at frayed edges of the ship's hull. "They were all in the aft portion of the shift. But if we survived..." The man stops himself short. He wasn't about to give up hope. But he knew better than to set himself up for the possibly tragic state of reality. "Still though... The other half of the ship can't have gone too far. Maybe if we..." Kane's gaze turns up towards the impressive mountain peak ahead. "The mountain." He states aloud, turning to look at the Elf and the Android. He points up at the landmark. "We can get a better look of everything from up there. If we're lucky, we might catch a glimpse of where the other half landed. Failing that, we might get a shot at seeing some signs of civilization. Or at least the remnants of it..."

He trails off, before moving back to grab and pick up the medkit. Still speaking in the direction of his companions. "Colata, Lavendi. Do you guys think you're fit enough to climb? If not, one or both of you should try to make camp around or in the crash site. Whether it's dawn or dusk, we need a place to stay for when it gets dark. But if it's dawn-" He picks up the medkit and walks back to the both of them. Opening it back up to offer the contents as he turns to look back at the mountains. "I'm gonna try to figure out where the hells we are."
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-06-20 at 09:26 AM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll be fine. I can continue with the mission - it should not handicap me too much," Colata insists, though at the notion of climbing up the mountain before them, she hesitates. "...I will see what I can do here," she decides, while Lavendi looks on with a frown.
    "I don't think any of us should go anywhere alone at the moment. That being said... let me see here, just give me a moment," she says. She rummages around near her pilot's chair and eventually finds a small satchel, taking out a few items and focusing. In a matter of moments, the quartz crystal that she was holding in her left hand takes on a blue glow, and a serpentine light shimmers out from it, taking the form of a large, ethereal snake. Lavendi smiles for a moment and whispers a quiet 'hello, darling,' to the creature before looking to Colata.

"Oh- I forget, you haven't met, have you?"
    she asks the android. "This is Meda... my companion of sorts. He is a Protean of the chaotic planes, touched by the feywilds... his presence usually interferes with starship instruments, so I don't have him around often, but... well, we don't have to worry much about the ship right now and he is a capable protector," she says. "I'll leave him stay with you. All right?" she says.
    Colata smiles at the slightly bio-luminescent beast, offering a nod. "...that is appreciated, Lavendi, thank you," she says, and looks back to Kane. "I'll be fine. See if you can figure out where we are, and where the others might be."

"Coming up with you, Kane," Lavendi says, tucking away her summoning tools and climbing out the back of the ship with the Samsaran.

Spoiler: Meda
    Show

Show
    Gonna need a climb check from you! DC isn't super high, it's not raining and the larger rocks are pretty stable, but some have been loosened by the crash.
    Also DC 10 Planes check to recognize an eidolon.

Lavendi Climb - (1d20-1)[15]

Fun fact, I wrote that entire post before looking at Lavendi's climb modifier. Wish her luck!

EDIT: Oh, she's fine
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-06-20 at 12:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kane slowly considers his companion's statements. Nodding along as they decide upon the best course of action. He is given pause as Meda appears before him, a twisting serpent of ethereal light and ever-shifting hues. In the back of his mind, some ancient spark of insight informs him of the creature's nature. "An Eidolon..." The Samsaran smiles. "I'm impressed, Lavendi. All these years and you still finds ways to surprise me." He chuckles, before nodding to the Elf as she moves to leave alongside him.

"Alright, let's go." The young explorer states firmly. Leading the way as the duo head towards the harsh mountain ahead. Waving off towards Colata one last time in well wishes, before turning the entirety of his attention towards the harrowing climb to come.

Show
    So... Okay, I ALSO just realized that Kane has a nothing modifier to Climb.

So, I will do two things in sequence here. One first if I can get away with it, and then the second thing if not. I'll do them both here, just to save us time on writing extra posts in the OOC if the first idea isn't feasible.

First, I'm gonna offer the idea that, instead of using Climb natively, maybe I can instead have Kane use his Force Hook to hookshot his way up the mountain. Maybe using his Acrobatics to compensate for any difficult maneuvers?

Failing THAT, I'm 100% going to have Kane spend a point of Inspiration to get a bonus on this roll. Because yeah... If Climb's the only option, he's gonna need every advantage he can get.

Climb: (1d20)[4] + (1d6)[6] Uh oh...
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2019-06-20 at 09:49 AM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison