The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Another "Help me buy a computer" post

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As far as I understand it, hyper-threading was first introduced on the Pentium 4 because they found that some of the execution units in the chip were spending a lot of their time idle, so having them running another thread would help boost performance. Back then the gains weren't stellar--I think it was maybe 5-10%--but there were definitely gains, and as with all technologies, it's improved since then. Oh, and apologies for the RX 570 thing, I misremembered--it's faster than the GTX 1050Ti for around the same price, which is why I got one.
    It had been studied in the academic community (as SMT: Simultaneous Multi Threading) where it was typically studied at 4 threads per core. I'm fairly sure there were plenty of attempts to bring such chips to market before Intel, and I suspect both Sun and IBM managed to do so (there was a competing multithreading trick that switched threads on cache misses and another one that switched on a round robin system (which was more of a trick for more extreme pipelining. I think a company that later merged with Cray (not sure who bought who) used such a trick.

IBM has been pushing the idea hard lately. Essentially they build the reverse of an AMD Bulldozer: one "core" that has excess resources to easily fill 2-8 threads. For software that is licensed "per core" and not "per thread", this has a significant advantage (presumably IBM can use its legal prowess to threaten anyone wanting to change to "per thread" payment).

I'm still not sure they have increased the power "per thread" much beyond 15% (which a pentium 4 was unlikely to hit), and often increase electric power consumption by more than 15% to get that, but it is otherwise "free power" that CPU designers can eke out of the chip (obviously it increases design costs significantly. But Intel makes so many chips this is in the noise).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

So maybe the choice was made for me, Newegg sold out of the 9400F, which by itself isn't that big of a deal but I can't really wait for it to come back in stock, but also it killed a $40 combo deal I was wanting to pick up. Then the 2600 showed up in Neweggs new flash deal for $10 off. If nothing else it might just be a sign from the tech gods as to which way to go.

Edit:
    Normally I wouldn't really think about it, but somewhat considering the open box video cards. Can't really see much having been done to them to compromise them and its quite a bit less in price (like $30-40, so 20%). Any thoughts or experience?
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-04-06 at 04:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Edit:
    Normally I wouldn't really think about it, but somewhat considering the open box video cards. Can't really see much having been done to them to compromise them and its quite a bit less in price (like $30-40, so 20%). Any thoughts or experience?
    30+ day warranty? You'll be fine. Just run a diagnostic after you get everything up and running to make sure its 100%. I don't see it impacting longevity/durability.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I went a bit over what I had wanted to do, but I've got a system I should be good with for a long time (another 8 years maybe?)

Went with the Ryzen 2600, 16gb RAM, RX580, M450 MB, 512GB SSD M2, and 650W Seasonic PSU. I'll probably have to pick up another cooler before I really get to OCing it much, but that can be done easy enough later.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

In an amazing freak occurence I was discussing my stuttering probelsm in Far Cry 5 with freind also playing it and he had similar experiences.

His suggestion was it's the CPUs letting us down, he's got brand new 1070 and I got a 970 both providing adequate FPS right until game freezes for a few seconds.

He has an i5 4640* or some such and I got an i5 4440*, I reckon I might be served by uprading to something modern?

He was also talking about getting the "gaming" motherboards but am not convinced the doubled price is giving value? He was talking about a more robust
    powerbridge and not having the whole thing melt if something goes...

*model numbers may be indicative, we're on 4th gen i5s that am sure of, mine had a lot fo 4s in it and his was slightly better

So AMD might be up there nowadays? I noticed they advertise when I start up FC5 for example but I'm cynical enough not to trust in that either

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Your CPU is five and a half years old, so most decently-specced modern CPUs should beat it. I just compared it against the Ryzen 5 2600 on cpu.userbenchmark.com and the Ryzen is 30% faster per core and *massively* faster multi-core due to having more of them.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Your CPU is five and a half years old, so most decently-specced modern CPUs should beat it.
    In the period when Moore's "Law" was if full effect, that'd be true, but at the moment it's almost stalled.

I just compared it against the Ryzen 5 2600 on cpu.userbenchmark.com and the Ryzen is 30% faster per core and *massively* faster multi-core due to having more of them.
    While that may be true, I doubt it's the cause of sudden stops, I would suspect old style HDD drives myself, SSDs are much faster and it may be that games are now coming to depend on the presence of SSDs.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Most stuttering is software related, it might be worth checking over your drivers and updating as necessary. Especially if your base framerate is good. Of course not everyone uses stuttering the same way, and loading issues could be it too.

It's also not uncommon to have a specific setting to not like some hardware. A search for the issue on the game should give you a good place to start.

Also with the it 4th Gen it would mean a complete rebuild, as it's not a supported socket any longer and it's DDR3 ram.

I believe Moore's Law is still going just fine, but that decreased transistor size and more per chip isn't a linear growth in power. Having 6 cores instead of 4 is a 50% increase in transistor count but won't directly have any impact on many applications.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I believe Moore's Law is still going just fine, but that decreased transistor size and more per chip isn't a linear growth in power. Having 6 cores instead of 4 is a 50% increase in transistor count but won't directly have any impact on many applications.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend and not a physical or natural law. Although the rate held steady from 1975 until around 2012, the rate was faster during the first decade. In general, it is not logically sound to extrapolate from the historical growth rate into the indefinite future. For example, the 2010 update to the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors predicted that growth would slow around 2013,[18] and in 2015 Gordon Moore foresaw that the rate of progress would reach saturation: "I see Moore's law dying here in the next decade or so."
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I'm suddenly in the market for a new laptop, as my old one, may it be cursed in the afterlife, has finally managed to wrack up an issue they can't fix. Torn between buying a 2060 laptop and a 1050 Ti, as cheapness vs power tug me in different directions.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Hmm. I'm suddenly in the market for a new laptop, as my old one, may it be cursed in the afterlife, has finally managed to wrack up an issue they can't fix. Torn between buying a 2060 laptop and a 1050 Ti, as cheapness vs power tug me in different directions.
    Did that 1660 series turn out to be dud then? Reviews seemed to be quite positive in February.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Well what do you plan to do with it? Just given that you can't really update laptops I would probably go for performance, at least if you're gaming much. Of course if you're not playing on an external monitor and if they laptop has a lower resolution then the 1050 could be fine.
    You have a link to the systems you're looking at?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Did that 1660 series turn out to be dud then? Reviews seemed to be quite positive in February.
    As far as I can tell, no one has 1660 laptops out now. I definitely would go for them if they were available, but I kind of need a new laptop to play ANY games and would like one within the week.

Well what do you plan to do with it? Just given that you can't really update laptops I would probably go for performance, at least if you're gaming much. Of course if you're not playing on an external monitor and if they laptop has a lower resolution then the 1050 could be fine.
    You have a link to the systems you're looking at?
    Right now i'm torn between MSI's offerings in the 1050 Ti, 1060, and 2060 graphics cards. My last laptop was a Gigabyte P57xV6 with a gtx 1070 that had numerous problems - and it was a big ol' 17" clunker. Learning from that, I don't want to go bigger than a 15" laptop. The Gigabyte did have an optical drive, and I thought I'd use it, but in 2 years I never did. The solid state boot drive though was REALLY nice, and I do want to keep that.

On the one hand, I would like to future-proof and have a laptop capable of running anything I want to put on it. On the other, I'm not really a AAA gamer - the most graphics intensive game I bought was Andromeda, and we all know how that turned out. And yes, it has to be a laptop. The current place has no good options for a desktop location, we're moving in the next few months anyways, and I just prefer to laptop instead of at a desk. My budget is about $1500 - the refund I'm getting off my old warranty, but more money is always good.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-04-08 at 09:22 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Gigabyte did have an optical drive, and I thought I'd use it, but in 2 years I never did.
    If you did ever need an optical drive you can get external USB-attached ones for very little money indeed--I have one for use with my laptop and my new desktop machine (since I decided not to get an optical drive with it).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Most stuttering is software related, it might be worth checking over your drivers and updating as necessary. Especially if your base framerate is good. Of course not everyone uses stuttering the same way, and loading issues could be it too.
    Well FC5 is an open world game, basically, sudden spikes in load (at least that's what I suspect) would freeze the game for several seconds, music/sound would repeat what is buffered until something catches up.

Drivers are up to date. Gforce Experience makes sure of that.

It's also not uncommon to have a specific setting to not like some hardware. A search for the issue on the game should give you a good place to start.

Also with the it 4th Gen it would mean a complete rebuild, as it's not a supported socket any longer and it's DDR3 ram.
    Unfortunately yes, be around 500e to upgrade the central parts, a local retailer got a package cpu-mobo-ram deal.

And I did indeed google the problem, but unfortunately 90% blamed HDDs, and the few software fixes suggested had no effect. There were some settings they suggested one should change but it did nothing for me.

While that may be true, I doubt it's the cause of sudden stops, I would suspect old style HDD drives myself, SSDs are much faster and it may be that games are now coming to depend on the presence of SSDs.
    Game runs off SSD, it's not that.

As I said, the funny thing is a friend with basically the same setup just better gfx card has same issue.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just built my new PC. Had a bit of an annoying moment when I couldn't find the screw for locking down the M.2 SSD, but it turned up on the floor and I managed to get it all put together and Windows installed on it. All I've done so far is install the old Cinebench R15 and run the CPU benchmark, which returned a value of 1265--a slight improvement on the 300 of my old machine! (That's a Ryzen 5 2600--I chose that over the 2600X purely because it has a lower TDP and I like my machines to be reasonably quiet).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

In the period when Moore's "Law" was if full effect, that'd be true, but at the moment it's almost stalled.
    Note that "throwing more transistors" at a CPU stopped being an effective means of speeding up chips sometime between 2000-2010, thus even when Moore's law was fully working (at least through 2014), CPUs hadn't advanced past a 2011 Intel Sandy Bridge CPU.

GPUs still respond well to "throwing more transistors" (especially GFLOPSingle), but still have to contend with all the power/heat involved, so any ability of smaller transistors to be more efficient is critical.

ARM CPUs aren't the size of Intel or Ryzen chips, so phones can still get bigger, assuming they are willing to eat the power that implies.

DRAM and flash memory are the only things that only care about "throwing more transistors", and flash has even gone to 3D levels to maintain Moore's demand for more transistors per chip. Remember, Moore's law only stated that the number of transistors would exponentially increase (although the log line moved a bit after 10 or so years, and now needs to be drawn with a new "correction" line on a log-log graph).

I just built my new PC. Had a bit of an annoying moment when I couldn't find the screw for locking down the M.2 SSD, but it turned up on the floor and I managed to get it all put together and Windows installed on it. All I've done so far is install the old Cinebench R15 and run the CPU benchmark, which returned a value of 1265--a slight improvement on the 300 of my old machine! (That's a Ryzen 5 2600--I chose that over the 2600X purely because it has a lower TDP and I like my machines to be reasonably quiet).
    A factor of four improvement is certainly reminiscent of "the good old days" of rapid computer obsolescence, but cinebench is a particularly specialized benchmark useful for showing how well a computer is for streaming and other video creation jobs. It might also scale for other "embarrassingly parallel" jobs, but those are few and far between (and I'd claim that they should be moved onto a GPU as quickly as a programmer is available to get the job done).

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Right now i'm torn between MSI's offerings in the 1050 Ti, 1060, and 2060 graphics cards. My last laptop was a Gigabyte P57xV6 with a gtx 1070 that had numerous problems - and it was a big ol' 17" clunker. Learning from that, I don't want to go bigger than a 15" laptop. The Gigabyte did have an optical drive, and I thought I'd use it, but in 2 years I never did. The solid state boot drive though was REALLY nice, and I do want to keep that.

On the one hand, I would like to future-proof and have a laptop capable of running anything I want to put on it. On the other, I'm not really a AAA gamer - the most graphics intensive game I bought was Andromeda, and we all know how that turned out. And yes, it has to be a laptop. The current place has no good options for a desktop location, we're moving in the next few months anyways, and I just prefer to laptop instead of at a desk. My budget is about $1500 - the refund I'm getting off my old warranty, but more money is always good.
    I think in a laptop especially I would go for more because they're an all-or-nothing purchase and they're a bigger purchase. Of course it would also depend on how long you're expecting the system to last. If you expect this system to last until it simply won't run the games you want to play then I would go with the more expensive one, but if you're probably going to replace it in 4 years as a matter of course then going cheaper would probably be better. Because in the latter case all three systems will still be running everything reasonably well.

As as aside, I really don't care for laptops, the one I'm using now has been mostly unused for years and only out now because the desktop is down. But even so, working on a 15" display is painful, this laptop is 16-17" and I can't stand how small it feels. I would go for bigger. But of course everyone has their own preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Well FC5 is an open world game, basically, sudden spikes in load (at least that's what I suspect) would freeze the game for several seconds, music/sound would repeat what is buffered until something catches up.

Drivers are up to date. Gforce Experience makes sure of that.
    Have you tried running a system monitor while you're playing to see what is happening? I've been running MSI Afterburner, but there are a lot of other options. If you've got that running, especially on a secondary screen you can watch while playing, you can see if anything is happening when the stuttering is going on. If it is loading you'll see a spike in disc usage. It could also maybe give you an idea of what is going on if it is something else.
    I would also check more than just video card drivers. I know I've seen some issues with sound card drivers, so there are other things that can sometimes cause issues.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    A factor of four improvement is certainly reminiscent of "the good old days" of rapid computer obsolescence, but cinebench is a particularly specialized benchmark useful for showing how well a computer is for streaming and other video creation jobs. It might also scale for other "embarrassingly parallel" jobs, but those are few and far between (and I'd claim that they should be moved onto a GPU as quickly as a programmer is available to get the job done).
    I'm fully aware of that, thanks for the wet blanket. I fully expect this machine to be a lot faster than my old one in all benchmarks and games, though--we're talking an Athlon 860K and 2Gb nVidia 750Ti versus a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 4Gb Radeon 570.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Have you tried running a system monitor while you're playing to see what is happening? I've been running MSI Afterburner, but there are a lot of other options. If you've got that running, especially on a secondary screen you can watch while playing, you can see if anything is happening when the stuttering is going on. If it is loading you'll see a spike in disc usage. It could also maybe give you an idea of what is going on if it is something else.
    I would also check more than just video card drivers. I know I've seen some issues with sound card drivers, so there are other things that can sometimes cause issues.
    I thought about that but without a second screen it's not gonna be doable I think. I was thinking, swap out of game and see what Taskman says but I guess if game freezes I can't do that anyway most likely anyway.

I had a hell of a time diagnosing the sudden crashes my system experienced under load last year. Eventually found the it to be the PSU not giving enough juice under load after 5-10 minutes. Even then stuff like Afterburner didn't help much as everything looked normal enough right up until the second the power cut. It was just on a lark I borrowed a PSU of fa friend and noticing system became stable went to the store next day.

I actually had this on Far Cry 4/Primal and ARK:Survival Evolved come to think of it. All very graphically intensive but within range of the GPU. Though none should seemingly be out of the range for the cpu I got either.

I must admit the more I think about switching out the cpu/mobo/ram the more I want to do it. I would get some M.2 slots too to really go nuts ssd-vise.

Not had any luck looking at software, friend had another game where some kind of touchpad driver for Windows 10 was interfering (on a computer that doesn't have one hooked up, but why wouldn't you waste resources running processes not needed on your computer, stupid Microsoft).

Obviously, do the upgrade and still suffer from the issues would make me extremely annoyed.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of those monitoring programs trend for 5-10 minutes so you could start it up and leaving it in the background. Play until it happens and clears up again then tab out and check the usage.

That sounds just like I would expect from power supply issues. Your lucky it just powered down rather than going out and taking things with in. They lose capacity as they age and get hot, so it can take a while before it gets too hot. I'm not aware of any PSUs with temp monitors, though I'm sure some high end ones do.

What's your average framerate before, during, and after the stuttering? With Fraps if they don't have an option built in.

As for a secondary monitor, I would recommend picking one up. I use it all the time. And being secondary it can be cheap, like $5 at a garage sale or thrift store. I've got mine oriented vertically so it's nice for long pages.

Edit:
    Stupid UPS didn't even try to deliver my packages. I saw them go to the office and then leave and the tracking update to "customer not available on delivery attempt" while I was sitting in my apartment.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-04-10 at 01:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stupid UPS didn't even try to deliver my packages. I saw them go to the office and then leave and the tracking update to "customer not available on delivery attempt" while I was sitting in my apartment.
    You mean you weren't standing there with your hand on the door handle, ready to fling it open at the first hint of a knock? You fail at receiving parcels, obviously, do better next time!

Ran a few more benchmarks on my new system last night. It's the first time I've seen the 3DMark FireStrike benchmark run at more than a slideshow, which was nice. I also ran the Cinebench CPU benchmark for a single thread and it tells me it was 7.7x faster running on all cores, which just goes to show that hyper-threading definitely offers benefits, because that wouldn't be more than six times faster otherwise. (And note the CPU clocks faster when you're hammering a single core, as I proved while running a burn-in test with Prime95 yesterday morning, so if the clock speed had been the same in both situations the advantage of the multi-core setup would be even greater).

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Went with the 2060 option. UPS says it'll arrive Monday, thanks to 2 day shipping. Hopefully not another lemon.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Most of those monitoring programs trend for 5-10 minutes so you could start it up and leaving it in the background. Play until it happens and clears up again then tab out and check the usage.

That sounds just like I would expect from power supply issues. Your lucky it just powered down rather than going out and taking things with in. They lose capacity as they age and get hot, so it can take a while before it gets too hot. I'm not aware of any PSUs with temp monitors, though I'm sure some high end ones do.

What's your average framerate before, during, and after the stuttering? With Fraps if they don't have an option built in.

As for a secondary monitor, I would recommend picking one up. I use it all the time. And being secondary it can be cheap, like $5 at a garage sale or thrift store. I've got mine oriented vertically so it's nice for long pages.
    Turns out I actually alreayd have afterburner isntalled, jsut updated it and the OSD program and had a go. So could see a bit better, though not stuck the landing on the log file yet. I realise I need to note the time i "hickups" and then go check the log... before closing and restarting the program and wiping said log.

From what I saw I was running 80-90 FPs when it just hits a wall, it then runs up from I guess 0 back to 80-90 ish (I had just about time seing a singel digit then 30ish and then back to full, cpu&gpu load both hit 0 there too so it doesn't look like it chokes on too much data since it should run at 100% and low frame rates one woudl think) when it unfreezes. CPU load running at 100% all the time, GPU like 95-98%. Obviously if whole thing just pauses for a moment I guess logging also gets it? Which would explain why the cpu/gpu etc dispaly overlay zeroes out?

Either way got my new compenents heading my way. I realised, regardless, I wanted an upgrade.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Turns out I actually alreayd have afterburner isntalled, jsut updated it and the OSD program and had a go. So could see a bit better, though not stuck the landing on the log file yet. I realise I need to note the time i "hickups" and then go check the log... before closing and restarting the program and wiping said log.

From what I saw I was running 80-90 FPs when it just hits a wall, it then runs up from I guess 0 back to 80-90 ish (I had just about time seing a singel digit then 30ish and then back to full, cpu&gpu load both hit 0 there too so it doesn't look like it chokes on too much data since it should run at 100% and low frame rates one woudl think) when it unfreezes. CPU load running at 100% all the time, GPU like 95-98%. Obviously if whole thing just pauses for a moment I guess logging also gets it? Which would explain why the cpu/gpu etc dispaly overlay zeroes out?

Either way got my new compenents heading my way. I realised, regardless, I wanted an upgrade.
    Going from 80FPS to 0 doesn't seem like a hardware issue, and definitely not a "CPU or GPU aren't strong enough" thing. It doesn't even really seem like "the OS decided to give priority to some other task" which can happen sometimes.
    Did you check things like disk usage? It does seem like the system is simply waiting for something to happen. Or potentially something like a driver crashed and it takes a second for it to restart. That is a lot harder to figure out though, short of rolling back drivers and seeing if the problem persists.

But if you've been wanting a new system anyway then I guess it doesn't matter.

So I got all the parts yesterday before work and got the system build after work. No issues at all, even installed a lot faster than I expected considering how long it took to write to the thumb drive (I didn't bother to get a high end thumb drive).
    No attempt to OC yet.

I think my old drivers are effectively dead. Everything I've found so far says that pretty much RAID 0 arrays can't be switched between systems unless they use the exact same controller. The drives show up just fine but there is no option to rebuild or recover the array. Windows can see the small boot partition on one of the drives but everything else is listed as unformatted. The only options to build an array with them using the new controller says it will wipe the drives in the process.

So I think this time I'll put them in a RAID 1 and use them for general storage and back-up.

Also means the windows key is pretty much lost. I have found that Windows can activate a computer without a key as long as it is tied to an account, but it doesn't seem to work if too much has been replaced. It will show me the list of devices on the account and I can see the old system but I can't tell it to use that for the new system. Although it did import my desktop background when I logged into the account on the new computer...
    I was talking to a guy at work and he said he's getting a friends and family key from someone he knows that works at Microsoft, so I'm going to see if I can get one from him.

No real chance to do anything else though. I started downloading a few games (~40gb worth) last night and left them when I went to bed. Launched Battletech just long enough to play a round and see it (old system didn't support the right version of DX to run it).

So now to the slow process of tweaking things to be how I like them. And of course telling all my accounts that yes, it really is me.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm wondering if I could also get some help here.

My nephew wants to upgrade his desktop, the problem is that pretty much everything but his HD is bad, really, really bad. Based on the budget and what games he wants to play I've made a list of probably good parts for his purpose (it's possible that I'll have to change the RAM as it seems there isn't one of the chosen in local stores) using what I know and some helpfull sites.

But while I think the CPU and GPU are good, I'm not very knowlegble about motherboards and coolers. Are the ones I've picked good and sufficient? The case is left blank because we'll see what we can find on the local stores that fits all the parts. His HD is a Seagate one, 1 TB (Barracuda, I think, if that makes a difference).

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

A few things.
    Are you planning on overclocking the system? If not, you're paying a premium on several items that won't really come up unless you OC. The RAM falls into this category. Choice in RAM will really not make much of a difference unless you are OCing.
    When it comes to how responsive a system feels, you'll see a lot more benefit out of a SSD than a faster processor. If you can't fit that in the budget then I would drop the CPU to free up some money.
    Also on that a hard drive is one of the most likely parts to fail on a computer, so if it is more than a couple years old it's probably worth the cost to replace it. Or really to use a SSD for the OS and other programs and put the 1TB drive in as a secondary drive for things that aren't used as much or aren't really affected by speed (pictures, videos, office suite, many games).

Even with that, for gaming you would get more benefit out of spending more on the video card and less on the CPU. Having literally just made the same choice on video cards, I went with the AMD RX580 over the GTX1060, the RX590 is also within your budget range. The 1060 isn't a bad choice though, and which one is better varies by game, but make sure you get the 6GB version.

PSU is fine, paying a bit of a premium for modular cables, which I don't see being worth it, but if you do that is fine. It is a solid choice. Plenty of other good options in that general wattage and price range. The 650W Seasonic I picked up was essentially the same price, just not modular.

Motherboard is a solid choice (I think it was the exact same one I was considering). Although you'll run into the same question I had, in that they only support the 9th Gen processors with the updated BIOS. At this point I would expect them all to be shipping with the newer BIOS but you can't know for sure. Ordering from a seller that sells a lot, so doesn't have older inventory, should be fine.

CPU cooler is fine. I don't know that company specifically, and it doesn't actually link to a specific store so I can't say much on the value. The one on Amazon/Newegg was way too expensive for what it is, but both are from a 3rd party seller from Europe, so maybe they're a lot cheaper there. There are dozens of tower/heatpipe style heatsinks around designed at 150W TDP that will all work just fine. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, they're pretty much all universally designed for all the sockets on the market.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the reply.

He doesn't plan on OC it for now, but it might be a consideration some years from now. I was comparing the CPU with the R5 2600x, but I couldn't find it for sale around here and I do not trust my country's mail system with such delicate/expensive equipment. How do you think it compares with the R5 2600? That I think I've found a place selling it for a nice price, but I kind of wanted a CPU that he wouldn't need to substitute anytime soon.

SSD around here are terribly expensive, the HD is only a couple years old so I think it's good for now. And the RAM is not that one specifically, I'll try and find what I can get with 16GB from a trusty manufactor.

Thanks again for the help.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

I missed your location. Yeah, no idea what the situation in Brazil is.

The 2600 and 2600X are essentially the same. As far as I could tell the primary difference is just that the X is clocked slightly higher, and includes a little better cooler. They seem to OC to similar points. The price difference and performance seem to be the same so value is pretty even.

For what it's worth, here was what I ended up with for my build.:

I do plan on replacing the heatsink, just didn't get one yet because I wanted to see if my old one would work (a newer revision does, but the old one I have doesn't) but that is only going to matter when I get around to OCing. A few specific choices were just because several items had discounts (MB had a combo discount, that specific SSD and video card both had 1-2 day sales).

As an aside to the actual parts, I see that Newegg does have a regional selection for Brazil. I couldn't say if they use the post office or if they use something like FexEx or UPS (both do international). I would expect them to be safe/reliable, if you don't trust the post office. They might also have offices where you can pick it up from rather than delivered to your house.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Another point about the RAM, Gray Mage: you list it as 16Gb (1x16Gb). You would be better off getting a 2x8Gb kit, because all modern systems can access the RAM in dual channel mode (where it reads from both sticks simultaneously) which makes RAM access faster. It's probably only going to make a few percent difference to the overall system performance, but it's essentially free (because the 2x8 will cost about the same or maybe even less than the 1x16) so why not do it?

As for 2600/2600X: 2600X is a bit faster clocked than the 2600, but also goes from 65W TDP to 95W, which is why I chose the 2600--I would rather have a slightly cooler running system.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-04-13 at 02:40 AM.