New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Lizardfolk & Lizardfolk McGuffin

Hey guys, two questions.

I am setting up an encounter for my group that will need to help defend a small city against lizardfolk invasion. This is rather high level campaign and story behind is: a powerful lizardfolk shaman has been building and gathering his forces in a large moor for past months and has now launched a major invasion with a goal of taking the region. His first target is a walled human settlement with a few thousand souls. Unbeknownst to the to the settlement, there is a McGuffin entombed under the city that shaman wants to get his hands on. What would this McGuffin be?

Second question is: I do not want just to spam dozens of lizardfolk in meat waves, but I want to make more interesting roster of enemies. So far I have:
    - Lizardfolk warriors
    - Lizardfolk casters (refluffed mages)
    - Flying snakes (large, refluffed green dragons)
    - Ram-lizards with a purpose of breaking down city gates (refluffed Goristos)
    - Giant constrictor snakes

What other monsters could I use in order to reflect the lizardfolk-ness of the attack?

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Lizardfolk & Lizardfolk McGuffin

Consider undead spirit allies, conjured by the lizardfolk shamans.

For the McGuffin? Do you want it to be magical, or just symbolic?

I'd lean towards "symbol of ancient times" or "long dead demigod", myself.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thinking of it, it should be something, residents will not allow digging up from under a city. Perhaps an underground temple, dedicates to a snake god is a good idea IMO. And a bunch of sacrifices (city population) is always a bonus for a shaman.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

My thought is that the "lizardfolk" shaman is actually a human politician who's merely disguised as a lizard for sinister purposes. And the troops could be backed up and supplemented by this person's other allies
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would go for a reptilian progenitor race (the Sarrukhs are always a good go-to for things like this, or you can call them something else like Ophidians or Orochi or Silurians if you want to distance your game from FR stuff.) They had an ancient temple or ruin under the town that contains a WMD they were working on, but never got to use, that would have eliminated all those filthy monkey upstart mammals before they could spread and dominate the surface - your shaman learned of its existence and wants to finish the job his ancestors started. Doubly fun if there are stasis traps under there containing dinosaurs and the like from the setting's antediluvian era, whose seals are also starting to erode right as the lizardfolk attack, resulting in dinosaurs busting out in the middle of town - this could be the first clue to the PCs that there's something down there that they need to investigate.

Regarding the invaders, you can mix things up with them by throwing in some other reptilian and amphibian races like Grung scouts and Yuan-Ti mages.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

My own thought for adding enemy variety would be something like 3.5's Skin Kites from Libris Mortis, Undead made from parts of skin that could be made from the shed patches of the Lizardfolk's with limited issue but cause horrifying damage to humans.

Could be mixed with Bohandas's idea to complete the inversion of the old conspiracy with the human politician's disguise relying on a suit of them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For lizards, there are poison dusk and blackscales, troglodytes and tren, firenewts, asabi, stingtails, and khaasta as basic variants, and of course some lizard kings.
    Upscaling, you can do some refluffing on various Spawn of Tiamat, as well as throwing abishai in for good measure.
    Wyverns and possibly dragonnels are a possibility.
    Somewhat more obscure off are babblers and bonesnappers.

For a macguffin, how macguffin-y versus how direct power are you looking for? Possibilities:
    An orb of dragonkind
    Something to summon an avatar of tiamat or a demonic lizard
    A crest of lizardly might to give a boost to ruling lizard men
    The Maltese Lizard, covered in gems and bestowing great glory and status to whoever owns it
    The Last Molting of Semuanya worth nothing but giving even more lizardy status than all of the above combined

8. - Top - End - #8

100 years supply of non-dairy milk substitute
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

An Egg Sandwich /joke

Serious answer:
    The Lizards may just want food and since their land isn't suitable for farming, nor do they have the technology for it and they subsist by raiding from others. It could be that they refer to this practice of sieging and raiding as "hunting" seeing the settled human farmers as we would see a herd of grazing deer. And with all the usual rules of hunting like "don't take so much that they can't repopulate or recover, we need a sustainable foodsource"

If you want a true and blue MacGuffin then it doesn't really matter what the lizards want, it's just something that is important to them. But if you don't want to resolve it by just finding the thing and giving them the thing you have 1 of 2 options

1)The thing is also important to the settlement. For example: A decanter of endless water that is the town's only source of clean water. if the lizards take it then the town dies.

2)The thing is dangerous for the lizards to have. For Example: The sarcophagus of a Staked vampire lizardman that will usher in a new age of darkness if he is revived.

Hope this advice helps. Sieges are fun but It's a good idea if the enemy has a goal to finish the siege.

10. - Top - End - #10

The mummified remains of a large amphibian on a palanquin
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

What if the city was built on the back of an absolutely enormous undead Dragon-Turtle, and the dungeon is just the skull/piloting seat?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Second question is: I do not want just to spam dozens of lizardfolk in meat waves, but I want to make more interesting roster of enemies. So far I have:
    - Lizardfolk warriors

What other monsters could I use in order to reflect the lizardfolk-ness of the attack?

Thanks!
    Nagas and Yuan-Ti

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    - Lizardfolk warriors

Thanks!
    You could have some constructs that have been McGuiver'd from animal parts by some ingenious lizardfolk. Siege equipment I'm thinking.

Also: dinosaurs.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal