New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    *Trolls eat a lot because their regenerative abilities are metabolically taxing. This, combined with their poor mental abilities and lack of discipline leand to them attacking livestock, which leads to altervations with ranchers, which leads to their regeneration being needed, which turns into a vicious cycle
    When the Iron Kingdoms Monsternomicon came out it had Dire Trolls listed as CE, it was later noted to be not the case as while the people who have lost everything to rampaging Trolls might see them as Evil they are actually Chaotic Hungry.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr paradox View Post
    Necromancy is the art of soul manipulation.

This may seem obvious, but it has specific ramifications for Animate Dead, and the many proponents of the "Good Necromancer."

See, Golems and other animated objects don't use necromancy. They all use Conjuration or Transmutation. So there's got to be something specific about animating corpses that sets it apart from binding elementals or sewing movement into a suit of armor. To me, the answer is that when a skeleton is animated, the soul that once inhabited it is torn from its final rest, in whole or in part, and bound to the decaying remains, forced to carry out the caster's wishes. They are subjected to metaphysical torture until their release.

This is why necromancy, and animating the dead in particular, is evil.
    So...this is actually backed up in some quasi-canonical sources. In the Dragon magazine #350 article "Core Beliefs: Wee Jas", it states:
    "Her focus is on the spirits of the dead, not their bodies, and thus she tolerates necromancy-especially if the subject is willing (although she frowns on stealing lawfully-buried bodies). Because she guards the spirits of the dead, she is displeased when these spirits are involuntarily summoned back to the mortal world and corrupted into undead (again, voluntray corruption into undead-bodied or bodiless-does not disturb her). Her belief in the sanctity of death is so strong that her clergy are forbidden from raising the dead by any means without first consulting her (whether directly via commune or indirectly through a divine messenger)."
    "Wee Jas does not appreciate the use of Suel spirits for creating undead, and any arcane spellcaster bent on creating undead should be careful about what sort of spirit his spell draws to the Material Plane. In most cases, undead-creating spell (including animate dead) can be adjusted as they are cast to avoid contacting the remnant of a Suel spirit, and doing so does not alter their casting or effects in any way. A few spells, however, specifically draw on the soul that once inhabited the target body (often intended as a punishment for the dead person)..."

So the spirit that animates an undead creature is apparently a mortal soul.

Also, to wit: If your buddy is killed, and you take a finger from his body to take back to town to get a Resurrection, but some necromancer turns that body into a zombie in the meantime? No resurrection. His body could be disintegrated and True Resurrection would work, but make him a zombie, and lock that zombie in a lead-lined box with a permanent Nondetection and Dimensional Anchor on it, drop it in the ocean? No mortal magic can bring your friend back to life, and you're gonna have to find that box manually to kill the zombie. So there is SOME connection between the soul of the person who passed and the undead creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr paradox View Post
    (I guess the way to test this theory would be to cast "Clone," die, then attempt to animate your own corpse? RAW, I believe that works fine, so there's evidence against my theory...)
    That is, of course, the crux. No one's clear on what happens then. Presumably, you're fine, and you get an undead version of you, but what happens when your cloned body is killed? Does that undead need to be killed before you can be resurrected?

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    All Cure spells and other similar healing spells are in the Necromancy school.

As they always hould have been. And as they were back in the older editions.
    I make mention of that in a little fun mental exercise I was working on.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #303

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Also, to wit: If your buddy is killed, and you take a finger from his body to take back to town to get a Resurrection, but some necromancer turns that body into a zombie in the meantime? No resurrection. His body could be disintegrated and True Resurrection would work, but make him a zombie, and lock that zombie in a lead-lined box with a permanent Nondetection and Dimensional Anchor on it, drop it in the ocean? No mortal magic can bring your friend back to life, and you're gonna have to find that box manually to kill the zombie. So there is SOME connection between the soul of the person who passed and the undead creature.
    Yes, but if you do it in the reverse order it works fine.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

That is, of course, the crux. No one's clear on what happens then. Presumably, you're fine, and you get an undead version of you, but what happens when your cloned body is killed? Does that undead need to be killed before you can be resurrected?
    Why would Animate Dead work on an unused clone? In 5e, the clone is "inert" not dead. And if memory serves l, 3e had similar language.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Why would Animate Dead work on an unused clone? In 5e, the clone is "inert" not dead. And if memory serves l, 3e had similar language.
    I meant the new, cloned body that you are curently using. If and when you die again.

So...
    Prime Body: Dead, now a zombie. Caster's consciousness is in Clone
    Clone: Now also dead. Can this person be brought back with Raise Dead? Or does the zombie of Prime Body need to be killed first? The way the RAW are worded is unclear.

RedMage Prestige Class!

"Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I meant the new, cloned body that you are curently using. If and when you die again.

So...
    Prime Body: Dead, now a zombie. Caster's consciousness is in Clone
    Clone: Now also dead. Can this person be brought back with Raise Dead? Or does the zombie of Prime Body need to be killed first? The way the RAW are worded is unclear.
    Sorry about that. I think I somehow skipped over a word in there (specifically the word "die").

I think by 5e RAW you should end up alive in your clone body with your original body as a pet zombie. (A really disturbing pet....) The rules don't bar it and RAW never spells out the metaphysics, so it's not like it's there to draw inference from.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The apparent disconnect between class starting age and the ability to multiclass on a whim comes from the schedule of basic training for all classes. All classes are going to need to learn how to jog for several miles, carry a heavy pack, hold their breath absurdly long, and do other elementary system functions. It's just that a wizard doesn't prioritize those and makes slower progress getting to the level 1 competency stage of doing those things. Barbarians and sorcerers have precious little else to do but learn those, so they start adventuring earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Sorry about that. I think I somehow skipped over a word in there (specifically the word "die").

I think by 5e RAW you should end up alive in your clone body with your original body as a pet zombie. (A really disturbing pet....) The rules don't bar it and RAW never spells out the metaphysics, so it's not like it's there to draw inference from.
    You're still missing the last half. After that, if you die AGAIN in your cloned body, does the zombie of your original body need to be destroyed in order to resurrect you? The Clone spell carries with it no rules that say how it interacts with spells that resurrect a player that has been turned into an undead, but ONLY if the undead creature is destroyed first.

RedMage Prestige Class!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

It is my opinion that elves mature at the same rate that humans do, and in the same way. When they are in the range from 20-80 years, they are mostly concerned with sex, politics, football, and role-playing games, just like humans are. The difference is that an elf isn't considered mature until he or she grows out of it. Humans, unfortunately, don't live long enough to grow out of this unfortunate time of life.

This is also why elves generally look down on humans.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

That's pretty much how Tolkien wrote it, I think. Elves dont' age much slower than humans until they are in their mid 20s or so, at which point they stop aging. At least until either their fiery soul gets too hot for their body or their soul accumulates too many negative emotions and they just die.

They didn't look any different from humans either, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #311

Zagyg's castle is capable of completely reconfiguring its interior, that's why every Castle Greyhawk/Castle Zagyg adventure has had a different layout
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of elf maturation rates, here's a 3e headcanon/joke I've referenced a few times:

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    It's really quite simple. Elves are perfectionists, and the 3e rules bear out the aging discrepancies.

Spoiler
    Show
    In 3e, anything you can do is a skill or ability check. "Notice something large in plain sight" is a DC 0 Spot check, for instance--a check that cannot be failed by anyone with at least 10 Wis and no distractions, even if they're untrained, but a skill check nonetheless. Most of the time, you can ignore those checks, because they're impossible to fail, so humans and halflings and dwarves and all the rest simply take 10 on them. However, elves cannot abide doing anything less than perfectly, so they take 20 on every single check, which takes 20 times as long as making the check normally.

Every. Single. Check. Walking? DC 0 Balance check. Talking? DC 0 Diplomacy check. Eating? DC 0 Dex check. Using the bathroom? Er, you get the idea. That's why everyone sees elves as being the most beautiful, most awesome, etc. beings out there. Eating a sandwich will take them an hour where it would take a human 3 minutes, but by Corellon it'll be the most-gracefully-eaten sandwich you ever did see!

Now, this only applies when actually taking actions, so while elves trance they're taking no actions and therefore acting at "normal" speed. As well, it's very impolite to interrupt others while they're being awesome, and elves are very fair and equal-minded people, so they spend half their time being awesome at things and half their time patiently watching other elves be awesome at things. So for 1/6 of any given day they're trancing, and for 3/6 of any given day they're not taking any actions, and for the remaining 2/6 of any given day they're taking normal actions but taking 20 times as long to do them. (15 years to reach adulthood * 2/6 of the time taking actions * 20 "take 20" penalty) + (15 years to reach adulthood * 4/6 of the time not taking actions * 1 normal time) = 110 years on the dot.

When an elf leaves home, of course, he realizes that the terribly uncouth and uncultured non-elves don't tolerate such a thing or appreciate his awesomeness, so he has to get by with taking 10 on everything, and essentially starts living life on a human scale. This explains why non-adventuring elves are the mythically beautiful and graceful and awesome elves of legends, while adventuring elves are much more down-to-earth and seem a lot more like humans with pointy ears. The only chance they have to really indulge themselves is while they're out on an adventure--elves trance for 4 hours while his companions sleep for 8, so an elf has 4 hours per day to be the elfiest elf he can possibly be while no non-elves are there to watch and judge him.

According to the DMG, we can assume that there is a 10% chance of having a wandering monster/random encounter per hour. This means that there is a (1 - .9^4) chance that a random encounter happens while an elf is being elfy during the 4 hours he has to himself, or a 30% chance rounding to one significant figure. So he has roughly a 70% chance to be elfy for 1/6 of the day without interruption (sometimes much less, sometimes much more, depending on when he's interrupted, but we can assume it balances out), meaning he acts elfy roughly 1/8.5 of the time. Thus, while humans take 20 years to get from adulthood to middle age, elves take (20 years to reach middle age * 1/8.5 of the time taking elfy actions * 20 "take 20" penalty) + (20 years to reach adulthood * 7.5/8.5 of the time taking human-y actions * 1 normal time) = ~65 years to do so, which puts them at middle age at ~175 years, exactly what it says on the chart.

Conclusion: Given 3e RAW, elves must age at the given rates. So there. Yes, I put way too much thought into this. I was very bored.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Zagyg's castle is capable of completely reconfiguring its interior, that's why every Castle Greyhawk/Castle Zagyg adventure has had a different layout
    Dracula must have gotten his castle from the same place.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Bugbear in the Playground

This actually applies to most dungeons. Not all of them do change layout, but most of them are capable of it.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just as angels are capable of falling, demons are capable of rising.

Angels (and demons) are not literally cast out of there respective locations. When either stops being the alignment of there home realm, they "fall" or "rise" in dimensional frequency. This drops them off at the dimensional middle ground, the material plane.

Necromancy is the manipulation of an energy that flows throughout the worlds. Souls and spirits naturally form from this energy through eggs/wombs. They can also form due to great events/locations (immense forests spawn nature spirits, and so on). Yes there are evil necromancers, but there are always evil users of any magic.

Lastly, butter is flammable. I have no idea if it really is that way but it came up in my dnd campaign, we all said it was that way so now it is that way, in my world anyway.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    Lastly, butter is flammable. I have no idea if it really is that way but it came up in my dnd campaign, we all said it was that way so now it is that way, in my world anyway.
    I don't know that I'd call it "flammable", but I suspect if you stuck a wick in a stick of butter you could have a butter candle. (Turns out: you can!)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #317

The Abyssal language uses the same word for both "artist" and "serial killer"

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh man, how boring and repetitive their art must be.
    yo

19. - Top - End - #319
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Torturer should be in there as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Dracula must have gotten his castle from the same place.
    Dracula, or Strahd? Because Strahd's castle explicitly does this

"...others believe that Strahd's magic causes the crypts to shift and move around each time mortals dare enter them" -Castle Ravenloft Boardgame, Rulebook, page 5, paragraph 1

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Dracula, or Strahd? Because Strahd's castle explicitly does this

"...others believe that Strahd's magic causes the crypts to shift and move around each time mortals dare enter them" -Castle Ravenloft Boardgame, Rulebook, page 5, paragraph 1
    Castlevania lore about the castle shifting itself pre-date the Ravenloft Board Game.

RedMage Prestige Class!

22. - Top - End - #322

*The specific actions required to prepare a given spell vary both from person to person, and from place to place and day to day according to current local magical conditions. The writing in a wizard's spellbook changes itself to reflect current magical conditions and what they mean for its specific owner. The variation from person to person is why a wizard can't simply prepare a spell from any other wizard's spellbook. The changing writing in a spellbook is the part that makes it so expensive and necessitates the weird materials.

*Xoriat is not a plane. It is a gaping hole in Eberron's multiverse through which things come in from outside

So the spirit that animates an undead creature is apparently a mortal soul.
    That's not controversial. The question is its relevance, to wit, whether zombies and skeletons have a spirit at all

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Castlevania lore about the castle shifting itself pre-date the Ravenloft Board Game.
    The dark realms as a whole are in a kinda of timeless featureless limbo of sorts in my head anyway. After all it is meant as purgatory for the Dark Lords. Time does not move the same for all inhabitants. Of course Strahd or Dracula only has direct control over his castle, otherwise the heroes defeating him are kind of pointless. Once you are inside, once you have found his chambers, it is on.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Like some other people said, elves are idiots who take over 100 years to attain basic competence in anything.

Also, from reading the linked thread just now:

Quote Originally Posted by Palegreenpants View Post
    If anyone has read forgotten realms literature, you will know that most species of Elves spend their first century learning about their culture and their interests. For example, the drow of Faerun send their young to academies for many years before they are a true part of society.
    You know, drow society suddenly makes a lot more sense when you realize that they all spent decades in high school.
    Last edited by AlignmentDebate; 2020-02-22 at 03:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

All the impractical exotic weapons in D&D are almost universally of elvish design. The elves, of course, have decades to centuries to master these weapons, letting them develop unpredictable techniques that all but the most dedicated of other races just don't have the time for when a sword or axe will usually do just as well.

Those of extra planar design are usually just born into the minds of their wielders, creating an instinctual ability to use them, formed by a travelling psychic intelligence obsessed with battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

26. - Top - End - #326

The drow are not dark-skinned, their skin is bruised all over. When the first drow attacked Corellon and his followers, Corellon stomped them so hard that even their descendents had bruises.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-03-14 at 08:57 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #327
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

The drow are not dark-skinned, their skin is bruised all over. When the first drow attacked Corellon and his followers, Corellon stomped them so hard that even their descendents had bruises.
    Iirc, an older canon was that he lit them all on fire, and the dark skin was from the charred flesh.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Trolls regenerate so quickly by incorporating the bones, muscles, and structures of the creatures they consume, so trolls are shambling, misshapen masses with too many joints, limbs that move at strange angles, and claws made of broken bones from creatures they have eaten. I described a troll like this to my players, and it made it a memorable and disgusting encounter, especially when the troll grew a new hand made out of the bones of a guard it ate.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

29. - Top - End - #329

The exact means of preparing a given wizard spell shifts from day to day, from place to place, and from person to person (due to a variety of reasons relating to ley lines, weather, individual physiology, etc.)

A wizard's spellbook is a minor magic item which constantly updates itself to reflect what its owner needs to do to prepare a spell at the current time and place.

This is the reason why it takes special materials to write a spell into one's spellbook, why a spell from someone else's spellbook can't be easily prepared or copied, and why a wizard who prepares the same spell every day still can't prepare it from memory.

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

Modrons speak in a coding language, like C and Java, and their speech is really just commands, and If you speak modron, you can control them to some degree.

The mind flayers were originally Gith.

The Far Realm is actually an alternate universe, or the space between universes. Also the D&D universe might exist, but it has vastly different rules than our own universe.

There are monsters more powerful than CR30. One example is Daurgothoth who is thought to be CR50.