New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default beauty on the inside

TLDR: should I raise a skeleton or zombie bulette

In the Pathfinder game I am in we just killed a bulette and as every one was talking over each-other about striping it if its armored plats and teeth I raised the point that I has just hit level 7 with my bone-shaman necromancer and had a pile of onyx burning a hole in my pocket. After the group settled down it seemed that everyone was pretty OK with the idea of me raising it.

So to get to the point, should I raise it as a zombie or skeleton?

my character has an affinity for skeletons due to you know bone shaman but I'm not opposed to a zombie tank thrall I was just wondering which would be the most useful in a relatively

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: beauty on the inside

In the past I have found zombie to be far superior for the same price.

Example orge zombie has a 25 strength in 3.5.

Orge skeleton not near that.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: beauty on the inside

I think that this really depends on what you want to get out of your minion. Do you want a mobile skirmisher to throw at your enemies weak spots? Do you want a slow but sturdy tank that will last you a while? That's the distinction that you are looking at.

Skeleton to hit on attacks will drop by 2 (due to BAB change in creature type), drop the AC by 8 (NA goes from +12 to +3 but it also gets a +1 from the Dex boost), and avg. HP goes from 84 to 36, but it does retain full speed and full attack options with all three natural attacks.

Zombie gets an extra 4 HD which is quite a boost, overall giving +2 to hit (+1 from BAB adjustment, +1 fron Str. increase), AC drops by 9 (NA goes from +12 to +4 but it also gets a -1 from the Dex penalty), is constantly Staggered and so can only move at half speed or make a single attack per round, but the avg. HP does only drop from 84 to 54.

In the end, I would choose based on what annoys you less. Having your speedy/shreddy minion dying too soon, or having your tanky minion being too slow to get into combat when you need him.

Not sure what you get from being a Bone Shaman Necromancer (couldn't find that under Shamans or Wizards) but that might tip the scales.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Zombies are kinda annoying due to how slow they are. Being restricted to a single attack on normally full-attacking creatures sucks too. Much of Bulette's power is in full attacks and overall its offense so I think it's better suited to be a Skeleton but it's fairly squishy either way. It's also rather fast naturally so Skeleton plays more to its natural features (not to mention, saves your control pool). Just be careful on what you sic it at so that it doesn't get pulverized; its AC and HP both go down the drain in its newly undead state even if you have access to Desecrate and an evil altar.

Note that if this is Pathfinder, you have other options too like Fast Zombie and Plague Zombie (much better than the default one even though DR is pretty nice). Bloody Skeleton is awesome for being immortal (no enemy is gonna carry the means to destroy it permanently) though it's expensive control pool wise. In 3.5, Skeleton takes the win but in PF, I might lean towards Fast Zombie or Bloody Skeleton.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-03-25 at 03:02 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If you don't get any special benefit from the undead being a bulette (I mean, letting the thing keep a bit of extra natural armor would make sense) then it's probably more efficient to strip the armor from the bulette, and use something else as undead minion.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    If you don't get any special benefit from the undead being a bulette (I mean, letting the thing keep a bit of extra natural armor would make sense) then it's probably more efficient to strip the armor from the bulette, and use something else as undead minion.
    What makes you say that? Bulettes have 27 Strength and three natural attacks; they hit like veritable trucks and are very good choices for a 9HD Skeleton. It's hard to beat magical beasts far as simple stats are concerned in general (Giants are another strong type - magical beasts suffer a bit more of the type shift of course). While sure, it loses BAB and HP in skeletonification, it's a very potent underling especially on this level; DR, speed, very solid damage output and some AC are all fine.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-03-26 at 04:35 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Since you are playing pathfinder you can slap on the fast zombie template if you can cast the right spell for it. It's one of the variety things with animate dead to summon special undead.
    Edit: haste or remove paralysis are the spells that need to be cast before animate dead.
    Last edited by Oberron; 2019-03-26 at 05:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    What makes you say that? Bulettes have 27 Strength and three natural attacks; they hit like veritable trucks and are very good choices for a 9HD Skeleton. It's hard to beat magical beasts far as simple stats are concerned in general (Giants are another strong type - magical beasts suffer a bit more of the type shift of course). While sure, it loses BAB and HP in skeletonification, it's a very potent underling especially on this level; DR, speed, very solid damage output and some AC are all fine.
    I don't know the rules here. is a bulette skeleton any stronger than the skeleton of any other huge creature? If so, go for it. If not, then get something less valuable to animate.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I don't know the rules here. is a bulette skeleton any stronger than the skeleton of any other huge creature? If so, go for it. If not, then get something less valuable to animate.
    Both 3.5 and Pathfinder Skeleton (and Zombie) templates are based on the attributes of the base creature. Only Natural Armor gets replaced.