New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] PrCs like Sand Shaper

So, Sand Shaper is pretty great for spontaneous casters, mainly because of Desert Insight. You get a ton of extra spells known - admittedly at the cost of a caster level.

I'm looking for other PrCs that give bonus spells known for spontaneous casters (mainly Sorcerers).

So far I've got Fiend Blooded and Frost Mage.

I was excited about Impure Prince, but then I realised Expand Spell List only adds the spells to your class list, and not automatically to your spells known.

Looking for official 3.5 (and un-updated 3.0) only please; no PF or home-brew. Ideally, no Dragon Mag either.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] PrCs like Sand Shaper

In the recent Iron chef e6 sorcerer comp, two builds used 'mage of the arcane order' (which requires two feats for a spontaneous caster to enter). It doesn't cost you a caster level, and gives you a limited amount of times per day that you can pull a spell known out of nowhere, which makes it really good for filling in those utility spells you only needs once in a while.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rainbow Servant is probably the best example, as its capstone grants fixed list casters spontaneous access to the entire cleric list.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Items and feats okay? Runestaffs and drake helms will get you more. I think mother cyst will as well (or are those spells just added to your class list?)

Dragon mag has knowstones and a feat like mother cyst that I can't think 0f the name of.

What about the changeling only prc that nets you a few spells from anyplace? Recaster, I think it was called.

Also- shapesand.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2019-03-25 at 06:46 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

5. - Top - End - #5

Exalted Arcanist grants spontaneous casters access to all sanctified spells as if they were spells known at level 5. It also adds a bunch of cleric spells (including all the planar allies) to your spell list, but you don't get them as free spells known.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

wyrm wizard (from races of dragon) grants you any spell from any list

arcane or divine

but you lose caster levels

still nice to cherry pick lower level version of spells like a level 1 haste from trapsmith

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Wild Soul from Complete Mage, sort of. It doesn't add spells to your spell list, but lets you cast a few things 'spontaneously', converting either prepared spells or spellslots. Also adds some options to Summon Monster and lets you use a summon monsterish SLA three times per day. Costs a level of casting progression though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, really good stuff in there. My aim is for a build which loses no more than 2 caster levels, and gets as many spells known as possible.

Rainbow Servant wouldn't work for me unfortunately: in our games, it's ruled as 6/10 casting progression, as per the table (since this PrC is pretty overpowered, we ignore the "text trumps table" rule in this case).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

There's the Bloodline Feats from Dragon Compendium. Not to be confused with the Unearthed Arcana Bloodlines, the feats in DC give you a thematic list of 1 spell known per spell level for various themes(elements, light/dark, etc).

Pretty decent payoff for just 1 feat.

10. - Top - End - #10

Shadowcraft Mage

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Instead of sorcerer, I prefer psion with three levels in illithid savant to get the StP erudite's spell-and-power learning mechanic. This grants potential access to all psionic powers and all arcane spells from all lists, including divine spells cast as arcane spells (say, from an older dragon for cleric spells, and Child of Eberron archetype dragons for druid spells).

You have to find creatures with those spells known or prepared, but it's the widest potential list you'll find anywhere, and you can cast it ALL completely spontaneously, with no UPPD limit. Combine with the dozen or more ways for power point recharging, and...

Or you could always take either Leadership or thrallherd for a StP minion. At higher levels, make sure it has access to psychic chirurgery so it can teach you ALL of its powers. For very nearly free, with a thought bottle. No MLs lost for you at all. At lower levels, you get a budget version, as you can manifest from it like you would from a power stone via the rules in the XPH. Normally a hassle, but if it's an intelligent item touching you at all times, it's like having your own spellbook to spontaneously manifest from.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-03-25 at 11:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The list of spellcasting prestige classes in my signature includes data for the spells they add to your spell list.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] PrCs like Sand Shaper

So looks like the best chassis would Be Sorcerer 7/Exalted Arcanist 5/Sand Shaper 8, or something similar?

I'd throw some Fiend-Blooded in there, but it would conflict with Exalted Arcanist alignment wise...

To be honest, I really don't need more than 1 level of Sand Shaper for my purposes, so other full casting PrCs that add spells known would be better.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

If you're willing to spend a feat on Arcane Preparation, your sorcerer could go into Mage of the Arcane Order. 10/10 caster levels, it might not allow extra spells known as such, but you could access stuff off your normal list via the Spellpool...