New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default It's Garmadon! (A Mech-piloting villain for 5e) (PEACH)

Yes, I made a homebrew villain based on Garmadon from Lego Ninjago (plus his mech from the movie). Please look it over and let me know what you think. Especially your opinion regarding the CR and xp for both of them because I do not know what that should be.

See them here.

Edit: Will be overhauling the document soon.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-03-26 at 05:34 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: It's Garmadon! (A Mech-piloting villain for 5e) (PEACH)

Well, its somewhat hard to judge, specifically because of his "warlords Command" legendary action. This means that skill can add a lot of damage or CC depending what his minions are. If the robot counts as his minion for instance, thats a lot of people taking 22 damage and stunned for 3 rounds, this by the way is pretty much unfairly powerful, a character that is stunned automatically fails Strenght and Dex saving throws, which means anyone who fails the first saving throw will be stunned again the following round since they automatically fail.

Considering the Stompy Feet, the Mech is on par with Great Wyrms, so around CR 23. Far easier to pin down, but with a potential first round win mechanic.

Garmadon can deal 8 attacks a turn each requiring a DC 18 save or be stunned, this is pretty extremely powerful too. He's very frail physically compared to his offensive capabilities, specially the stuns, and his saves are extremely good. If I have to consider the mech as his "standard equipement" that means 3 more stompy feet per round, which would make Garmadon a complete stun machine. IDK, CR 18 probably more.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    Well, its somewhat hard to judge, specifically because of his "warlords Command" legendary action. This means that skill can add a lot of damage or CC depending what his minions are. If the robot counts as his minion for instance, thats a lot of people taking 22 damage and stunned for 3 rounds, this by the way is pretty much unfairly powerful, a character that is stunned automatically fails Strenght and Dex saving throws, which means anyone who fails the first saving throw will be stunned again the following round since they automatically fail.

Considering the Stompy Feet, the Mech is on par with Great Wyrms, so around CR 23. Far easier to pin down, but with a potential first round win mechanic.

Garmadon can deal 8 attacks a turn each requiring a DC 18 save or be stunned, this is pretty extremely powerful too. He's very frail physically compared to his offensive capabilities, specially the stuns, and his saves are extremely good. If I have to consider the mech as his "standard equipement" that means 3 more stompy feet per round, which would make Garmadon a complete stun machine. IDK, CR 18 probably more.
    Okay, I may need to clarify a couple of things. Such as Garmadon's Warlord's Command legendary action doesn't work on his mech since his mech isn't able to operate independently. Or understand speech. The Stompy Feet thing isn't actually an Attack, just something that happens when the mech moves through your space. Garmadon's multiattack doesn't work on his mech either by virtue of the fact that it's not a weapon he's wielding, it's a vehicle he's driving.

Most of Garmadon's abilities were cribbed from the Monk class. I could tone down 'Four Arms' to just doubling normal attacks and Flurry of Blows though. Thoughts?
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Okay, I may need to clarify a couple of things. Such as Garmadon's Warlord's Command legendary action doesn't work on his mech since his mech isn't able to operate independently. Or understand speech. The Stompy Feet thing isn't actually an Attack, just something that happens when the mech moves through your space. Garmadon's multiattack doesn't work on his mech either by virtue of the fact that it's not a weapon he's wielding, it's a vehicle he's driving.

Most of Garmadon's abilities were cribbed from the Monk class. I could tone down 'Four Arms' to just doubling normal attacks and Flurry of Blows though. Thoughts?
    That's Exactly the problem, he doesn't even need to spend an action to do his most powerful move (pun intended :P). Tbh the robots actions aren't very powerful, but his move is completely op, in most situations, the best course of action for the robot would be to spend his action in Dash and just move over as much enemies as he can. If it manages to step on every PC in a single round, he has a good shot at stunning the whole party, which means he already won, since they will automatically fail further saves.

Regarding Garmadon, let's ignore his Warlord Command for a second. He deals damage which is "expected" from a CR 12 or 13 monster, but each of those attacks can carry a DC 18 Con save or be stunned for a round, with his 60 ft. movement he has a very good chance of stunning at least 2 PCs every round, probably more.

There a section in the DMG called Creating a Monster (starts at page 273). It may give some you ideas into how monsters are balanced against PCs, and an idea about what their CR is.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    That's Exactly the problem, he doesn't even need to spend an action to do his most powerful move (pun intended :P). Tbh the robots actions aren't very powerful, but his move is completely op, in most situations, the best course of action for the robot would be to spend his action in Dash and just move over as much enemies as he can. If it manages to step on every PC in a single round, he has a good shot at stunning the whole party, which means he already won, since they will automatically fail further saves.

Regarding Garmadon, let's ignore his Warlord Command for a second. He deals damage which is "expected" from a CR 12 or 13 monster, but each of those attacks can carry a DC 18 Con save or be stunned for a round, with his 60 ft. movement he has a very good chance of stunning at least 2 PCs every round, probably more.

There a section in the DMG called Creating a Monster (starts at page 273). It may give some you ideas into how monsters are balanced against PCs, and an idea about what their CR is.
    Ah. I got it. I completely forgot about the Dash action while making him somehow. I honestly didn't intend for the mech to be able to dash at all, so I'll note that it can't. Maybe also that turning costs him movement?

As for the stunning DC, that's actually exactly what it would be for a 16th level Monk with 18 WIS, so that's what I made it for Garmadon. I'll give that part of the DMG a look and see what I can do here.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!