New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Small things that break you suspension of disbelief or immersion

Cop shows need a degree of certainty. You can't have too many plotlines where someone was declared kinda sorta maybe possibly guilty.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Cop shows need a degree of certainty. You can't have too many plotlines where someone was declared kinda sorta maybe possibly guilty.
    Kinda maybe sorta is not guilty. They're supposed to get by on reasonavle doubt. Also that's a law show. Cop shows just need enough for an arrest, nobody cares about the verdict.

Im looking at you, "Law & Order" SVU, with you bare minimum lip service to the lawyer parts.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Im looking at you, "Law & Order" SVU, with you bare minimum lip service to the lawyer parts.
    CSI is worse - the only reason any of the cases get closure is because the suspect is locked up with a guy saying "We know you did it, just confess already" until the suspect does so. Half the time even their magic evidence isn't very good.

Regarding hair specifically, using hair may well be a holdover from a pre-DNA time. A once heavily-lauded forensic technique (which is now thoroughly debunked) was "hair analysis", where you could supposedly match a hair to a specific person just like matching a fingerprint to a finger or a bullet to a gun.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Just how does Wonder Woman put those bracelets on? They are completely solid.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

5. - Top - End - #605

They're also epic-level magic personally forged by a god. I'm more curious about how she manages to breathe in that top.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I remember for morrowind
    1- i could make fast money by buying soul gems for very little, trapping a summon, and then selling the gem back for all the money. I think I'd buy commons with a base price of 40 and sell for 4000 (which meant max sale). Like, that's not a sane economy.

2. Similar thing with alchemy, though i suppose that's a tedius practice and it'd be tough to afford all that master and grandmaster equipment i stole.
    Stealing all the soul gems from the Bosmer in Balmora while doing Ajira's missions "Hey guys, I'm going out a minute, please don't touch my 60.000+ worth gems while I'm away!" But it was cool to learn that creatures named "winged twilight" existed long before you met them, because there was a soul gem with one inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    They're also epic-level magic personally forged by a god. I'm more curious about how she manages to breathe in that top.
    Clearly she must also have low-grade Plastic Man powers
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Obviously, her breasts are also epic level magic forged spawned by a god.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-04-20 at 07:32 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that, as a demigoddess, she doesn't actually need to breathe.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #610

She does if she wants to talk.

11. - Top - End - #611

One thing that has always really bothered me is the way hit dice, saves, skills, and attack bonus work in D&D 3.5e, and specifically the fact that they're so tightly correlated to each other. It makes no sense for a creature for a higher skillcap and will save just because it's big, or to be easily mind controlled because its small [or, for that matter, for a man whose practiced his profession all his life to not be able to improve his skills because he can't also swing a sword or take a punch (or conversely for him to be able to swing a sword and take a punch because he has gotten better at his skill)]. They unnecessarily overextrapolated from the concept of character levels instead of assigning stats that make sense. Also its even more jarring that in many other editions the monsters are all unplayable standees whose stats are technically non-formulaic by virtue of the fact that half of them are missing entirely
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    In the most recent movie, they have straps on the inside:
    Spoiler: Gal Godot as Wonder Woman
    Show

I have no idea how Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman's cuffs stayed on, nor how the comics series does it.

I was more concerned how she managed to stay in that top while fighting, until my wife reminded me of body tape.

13. - Top - End - #613

Body tape didn't exist when Marston created her. Somedays, I wonder if body tape was invented by early cosplayers trying to get the standard superheroine uniform to stay put.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Only after painfully trying to use conventional tape for the same purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar