New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The Adventures of the Coalblack Wolves

The note gave Fisher pause. "Vampires" had not been the first thought when he had heard his father's story the other night. He chewed over the idea, trying to weigh what he knew about these leeches, with the information he had

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, I have Fisher's sheet completed, and will post it in the OOC thread this weekend. I'm thinking this will be an Int + Occult roll to see what Fisher knows about Vampires. That will be 5d10 (5d10)[2][1][10][4][5](22) and 10 again (5d10)[6][9][8][5][5](33)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fisher knows a little of the vampires. They are a big problem for the Forsaken in the big cities in England, but most believe no more than a handful could exist in the far smaller welsh cities without being discovered by mortals. If there are any in Swansea they are in Pure territory, or are remarkably well hidden. If any were discovered in Swansea every Forsaken pack would be told about it. As a result everything he does know comes second or third hand.
    The undead do not need to breath and have been known to swim, therefore one could indeed have attacked the man while he was fishing (assuming he was fishing at night). It would also explain the withered look of the body, although vampires do not generally drain their victim dry. However Fisher has never heard of a vampire feeding in this way before and could not guess why any would.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher sighs to himself. A vampire attack explained it to some extent, but this would be both bold and strange behavior for a blood sucker, and they weren't so common in these parts!

It looked like it was time to go fishing. He knew that as the Ithauer in the group, Fisher's job was to explore the possibility that this was some malignant spirit, rather than an abomination like a vampire, and so Fisher would start by calling on the pack totem, One Fell Swoop, first by going hunting for a Fish Spirit.

(OOC: Please let me know how you wish to proceed! I can roll something for hunting, or you can set a scene, or whatever you think is most appropriate here.)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hisil
    The Beach

The Hisil here is quiet and in harmony, a close reflection of it's mirror in the Flesh. Nature spirits of varies ranks abound, although all give the Uratha a wide berth or outright flee. Sandworms and crabs scatter while the older spirits of ocean and land keep a wary eye. Gull song fills the air overhead, all but drowning out the steady low rumble of the waves. Helios blazes overhead, his brilliance reflected by the waters into Fisher's eyes, turning the whole roiling sea into shining silver.

Fisher is here to catch a fish, a fitting Ban in many ways. It sounds simple of course, but even the apex predator of the world suffers outside it's natural environment. One-Fell-Swoop could sight a fish from hundreds of yards away and be striking at it a handful of seconds later. For him it was beyond easy, it was as natural as putting one foot before the other, and it gave him no end of amusement to watch his packmates struggle through water. While perhaps irritating this does mean the totem put particular emphasis on offerings of fish spirits, valuing the effort taken rather than the meager essence gained.

OOC: To catch a fish spirit Fisher must either think of a way to catch it from land, or bargain with a water spirit allowing him swift passage from the water. Or something else you think of.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher stood calmly at the edge of the water, a placid peace spread across his face. He was a thing of two worlds, and it felt good to be back in the Hisil, it felt like coming home. He spread his hands out in front of him, beckoning to the churning waters before him, grinning slightly.

"Spirits of the water," Fisher said in the First Tongue, an air of authority to his voice, "I am Fisher, Uratha of the Storm Lords. I come offering a Gathra in exchange for a small favor." Ruins of Honor and Wisdom ripple across the Uratha's spirit form. As his name implied, catching a fish was a task that he had been built for, it was what made the young Ithauer so compatible with the Pack's Totem, and made him such an integral part of the Coal Back Wolves.

After making his call, he waited for a water spirit to awaken, and take the bait.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

A vaguely humanoid spirit rises up from the waves, a Spirit made up of dirty water and howling wind 'Greetings Uratha.' As it speaks Fisher suddenly hears the sound of raindrops 'I am Skims-the-Surface. What do you offer, and what do you ask?'
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher smiles, his arms still splayed out as if in supplication, and he replies, "Greetings Skims the Surface. I humbly request your assistance in bringing forth a fish spirit, a task that must be no more than a trifle for the likes of you. In exchange, I offer you this." Fisher reaches into his pocket and removes a small moonstone, the black pocked surface rolling comfortably in his hand. "This comes from the moon," he says, still smiling, "from Mother Luna herself, and therefore carries the same mercurial powers that govern the tides. However, if this offering is not to your liking, I am also a shaper of water, and can offer my powers as assistance."

Fisher had a whole pile of these moonstones at home, and generally kept a few small stones in his pocket. They were easy enough to obtain on Amazon, and generally did the trick.

(OOC: Hopefully, the above is acceptable. Will also make a Presence + Persuasion roll here, which you may modify as you see fit. The last part of Fisher's claim is in regards to his Heart of Water Gift, which gives him Influence (Water) 2. (5d10)[3][2][9][2][5](21) and 10 again (5d10)[7][6][9][7][10](39))
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

'Your words are pretty Uratha, unlike you.' Fisher hears the sound of a babbling brook, the Spirit's version of laughter 'So dry! No wonder you desire our wonderful fluidity.' As if to emphasis this Skims-the-Surface reaches forth an appendage whose vague shape shifts between arm and flipper. As the shape of an arm hovers over the moonstone Fisher can sense more clearly the dirt flowing through Skims-the-Surface's body; grit, sand and dust that smelt of heat from far, far away.
    'It has no power over water,' the Spirit sounds disappointed 'But it is pretty, unlike you Uratha.' The laughter that follows is, if anything, more riotous than before, the Spirit practically howls with laughter at having repeated it's own joke It reminds me of clear skies and better days, free from predation, free to feed, free to soar.
    'It is a suitable offering.'

The hand/fin hovering over the stone begins to drip, dropping water onto the moonstone. Each droplet of water hovers and begins to orbit the stone until it is surrounded by a liquid shell

'This will give you passage, leave it on the ocean bed when you are finished with it.'
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Thank you Skims the Surface," Fisher says while giving a rather theatrical bow, before grabbing hold of the enchanted stone. This interaction resolved, Fisher shifts into Urhan and begins wading into the water.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    wits+survival+1 please. The +1 is for the ease by which you can now move through the water
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The dark massive wolf slowly waded into the water, letting the icy chill sharpen his focus and heighten his already supernatural senses. Despite himself, Fisher's tongue darted out to lap once at the salty waters.

Show
    Wits 3 + Survival 3 +1 (7d10)[10][7][5][7][8][2][5](44) and 10 again (7d10)[6][2][2][9][5][4][8](36)

Also, incase you missed this in the OOC thread:
    Finally updated Fisher's character sheet and character box into this thread, take a look and tell me if anything needs to be changed.

Also, did Forest Hunter get any beats or anything???
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry saw that but it slipped my mind. I'd say Hunter completed 2 of her aspirations, she didn't 'save' the kid from Swansea Jack but she learn about the connection. On top of that she gets 3 beats for completing the chapter. So 5 beats/1exp total. I haven't the time to look at fisher's sheet right now but I trust you.'

Being underwater in the hisil is a strange experience, even to one well used to the strangeness of the world of Spirit. It feels wet but does not leave you wet, chills and yet raises no fur in response. It obstructs vision just as it would in the Flesh but leaves Fisher's other senses unhindered. He can still smell the salt, still hear the murmur of waves all around as they part before him, still sense the resonance of Spirits nearby.

Water Spirits would be entirely invisible to him here, so perfectly in resonance with their surroundings even a Uratha would not detect them brushing by him. But Spirits of Fish, Squid and Eel, while still in perfect harmony, possess similar but different resonances, those Fisher could pick out from amid the water like candles through dark and mist. Vague shapes in the murk, some small some large, some swift some slow, some near some far. They seem unaware of Fisher's presence, continuing on just as they would otherwise, a reflection of their Flesh counterpart's lives; A constant chaos of survival of the fittest, the only difference being in the hisil the hierarchy of the food chain was far more fluid.

The hunt is simple, but time consuming. More than one attempt is foiled in the approach until Fisher wisely chose prey that was itself hunting. When a far dogfish Hursihim lunges at a nascent crab Muthra it leaves itself open, and as it cracks the shell and feeds on the essence it leaves itself distracted. That is all the opening Fisher needed, with one swift lunge he had the dogfish in his jaws.

Then something powerful appears on the furthest horizon of his Spiritual 'radar.' It stops and Fisher somehow knows it is assessing him just as he is it. After a moment it disappears, giving him only the vaguest impression of it's 'taste.' A Water Spirit for sure, but not one that belonged here.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Prize still locked in his jaws, Fisher growls, performing the behavior as if the trespassing water spirit could somehow still hear his threat. Then suddenly, Fisher lifts a rear leg to urinate and mark his territory, finishing the act of dominance with a series of swiping kicks at the silty sea floor with his rear legs.

Show
    With the fish spirit caught, would Fisher now be able to call his Totem to him? If so, he will do so and consult with the spirit about the trespassing water spirit.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I don't think the books make this clear, the totem is the spiritual link that unites the pack and can be considered to have either 'resonance' or 'influence' with the pack, but no 'calling' is ever mentioned. For me houseruling it, I'd say you can call the totem to you, but not with a message or a sense of urgency, however the totem is not obligated to respond and cannot respond in kind.
    Sounds a lot like a spiritual pager I guess :P

I'll progress the scene shortly, but to quickly clarify, are you leaving the sea bed to make the call/await Swoop's arrival? If so does fisher remember to leave the moonstone?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC?
    Show
    If Swoops cannot meet Fisher in the water, then yes, Fisher will return to the shore with the captured fish, leaving the moonstone, and call the Totem.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

In the flesh the Osprey is a bird without peer, only the stoniest of hearts could watch it swoop and feel nothing. In the hisil such things are intensified, as Fisher watches Swoops approach elegance and lethality is evident in every flutter of a feather, every turn of the beak.
    With breathtaking speed Fisher's totem dives out of the sky, alighting before him in a precise landing. Eyeing the fish greedily One-Fell-Swoop ducks it's head in greeting 'Fisher.'
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Uratha bows his head slightly in deference to the great Osprey spirit. When he returns to eye level with the bird, Fisher says, "My Totem, I have caught this in your honor, and present it for you as a gift." He tosses the fish spirit at Swoop's feet. "I have heard concerning words from the humans," Fisher says once the spirit has done what it will with its Gathra, "of a thing that bites Man and drains his blood. There have been at least two attacks so far in the last week or so, and there are rumors that this thing is possibly a long snake or eel. I am considering the possibility of the leech-things known as vampires, but that doesn't smell right to me. I was hoping you might have some knowledge of something out of place in the Hisil, perhaps a water faring spirit that may be responsible."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

The bird pounces on the fish eagerly and messily consumes it's essence. It answers only once it's 'meal' is complete 'I know not. Some spirits are capable of crossing the gauntlet and physically sucking blood, others can 'burn' blood from across the Gauntlet. But I have not seen or heard of this in many moons.' Swoops begins to preen it's feathers 'If this happened in our territory I would know of it, I am certain. I can see a water spirit on land or near the surface, my eyes are keen and see much under the waves, but not all, not that which is sunk deepest.
    'Where were these attacks?'
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher details everything he knows about the attacks, including the story he heard from his father, as well as the note left for him and the newspaper clippings.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Swoops continues to preen it's feathers, seemingly indifferent to Fisher's words, but with a sharp look in it's eye. Fisher knew his totem well enough to know what it was merely affecting disinterest. Once he is done explaining the Osprey spreads it's wings, a gaudy display that was it's habit when uncertain 'Fish do not talk to me, not willingly. I will begin to interrogate my kills, but there is a lot of ocean out there.' Swoops 'points' with a sudden gust of wind, it's sound undercut by the ruffle of feathers and distant bird calls 'Swansea Jack speaks for the spirits of the Ocean, you might ask him.
    'The other kills took place on land, more likely something was seen, more likely there is some truth to be wrung from some neck. Find where the couple died.'
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher fought down frustration and the urge to dominate the Totem Spirit, an act he often had to do in Swoop's presence. He was Uratha, he was Storm Lord, and Ithauer at that. He was the great hunter, the lord and protector of The Gauntlet and that on the other side. It was only through the pact that The Coalback Wolves had made with the Osprey Spirit that it had gained such power, that Swoops was able to transgress the "natural order" of The Hisil in the service of the Uratha. But this was Swoop's demeanor, and Fisher was used to the thing's pride and attempted dominance.

"Your assistance in this hunt is appreciated One-Fell-Swoop. As you suggested I shall continue my hunt on land, while you comb these waters, and you speak to Swansea Jack. Let me know what your searches bring." Fisher speaks sternly and authoritatively. He was not the pack alpha, but he knew what his role was in this relationship and he too could assert a dominant posture. With this said, and before the Osprey Spirit can challenge him, Fisher gives a courteous and curt bow before saying, "May Mother Luna's light shine brightly on your hunt One-Fell-Swoop."

Unless the Osprey Spirit has anything more to say, Fisher quickly turns, and returns back towards the his entering Locus on silent padded feet.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

The Totem stares Fisher down for a full minute, radiating vexation the whole time. But in the face of Fisher's unyielding will and stiff courtesy it soon wilts 'Fine,' It suddenly snapped 'I will speak with that which speaks for my prey.' Equally suddenly the Spirit is airborne, so fast it is not even a blur, it is the suggestion of a blur, an image half glimpsed in the corner of the eye 'I will be waiting at my nest at the Hoe Garden Locus, meet me there when you are done in the Flesh'
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Offering a reply farewell, Fisher moves back to the locus, to shift back across the Gauntlet. He will do as the Osprey Spirit had recommended, and will head in human form to the home of the deceased couple.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

The paper had not mentioned an exact address, merely which borough of the suburbs the couple had lived. For most investigators this would be a stumbling block, even some Uratha would have to resort to scent trails and the like. For Fisher it was as simple as walking a few blocks while running an expert's eye over everything he saw. He located the couple's murder site by tracking the death spirits they had attracted.
    When he finds a house with a small cluster of death, murder and grief spirits around the entrance he knows he has likely found the right place. The house itself is fairly new and identical to all the houses around it, with a garden too small to anything with beside mow grass. The street is quiet, no foot traffic and only the occasional car, in this area most people would be out working at this time.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fisher sighs to himself. It seemed like the coast was clear in terms of investigating the house, but first he would have to make sure there was no one watching him as he broke in and entered, specifically on both sides of the Gauntlet. He would be looking to enter when no mortal was watching, and to make sure that there were no significantly powerful spirits tracking him.

Spoiler: OOC: Rolling Perception
    Show
    Perception (5d10)[8][1][10][3][7](29) and 10 again (5d10)[4][7][8][5][7](31)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Fisher sees nothing out of the ordinary in the hisil around him.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

With the coast clear, Fisher walks up the flagstone steps of the house to the front door. He rings the doorbell several times, and if no one responds, tries the lock.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no response from the doorbell, when he tries the handle he finds it locked. A quick inspection shows nothing blocking his passage to the back garden. The back garden is even smaller but is far more ornamental; small fountains, water features and statues are strewn about with no apparent order given the place a cramped feel. There is a sliding patio door and a proper wooden backdoor, he tries the patio door first as it is closer and finds it open

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please make int+occult AND int+academics rolls please.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Still double checking that he is not being followed, Fisher makes his way around back.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

int+occult (5d10)[1][6][9][3][1](20) and 10 again (5d10)[8][1][9][8][10](36)

int+academics (1d10)[4](4) chance dice

EDIT: Can I take the academics roll as a Dramatic failure, just for fun and a beat?

Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-11-14 at 08:16 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You totally can. 1 beat for you

As he takes one more look around to make sure he is unobserved Fisher's eyes once more pass over the statuary. To his surprise he recognizes a Celtic cross made up of 4 statues with a cross shaped fountain at the center. The Celtic Cross is the most commonly known and used array for the use of tarot cards, one at the center to present the Present, one to either side to represent negative and positive influences, one above and below to represent the passage from past to future. He looks to the statues at each point of the cross, but cannot fathom what they might mean.

Through the patio door he can see a dining room, complete with a small stereo, six fashionable uncomfortable-looking chairs and a huge wooden table
    Spoiler
    Show