New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The Adventures of the Coalblack Wolves

Forest Hunter gives her a wry grin, and firmly says, "Let's go, follow me!" She grabs Ceri's hand, then draws on her Renown in Cunning, burning Essence to activate Feet of Mist to leave no trace as they navigate through the building. As they move, Forest Hunter asks, "Any idea for the best way out?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as she's out the door Hunter can tell the fire alarm was no mere distraction. The arid tang of smoke is strong on the air and the mindless panic of office workers is beyond that inspired by any fire drill.
    The two hurried to the fire exit, followed by a milling herd that threatened to crush them underfoot should they slow down. As the group reach the exit flames suddenly spring up blocking the path, flames that spread impossibly quickly, flames that radiate heat far beyond what a fire of that scale should be capable of. As the supernatural fire spreads Hunter and Ceri find themselves fighting back through the crowd to escape the approaching wall of heat. Hunter is far stronger than the average office worker, but the press of bodies make progress difficult 'The main staircase is the only other way down!' Ceri shouts, leaning over to yell in Hunter's ear.

Spoiler
    Show
    strength+athletics to fight through the crowd please
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter grabs Ceri's hand, whether she likes it or not and shouts out over the crowd, "Okay, then keep hold of my hand, and follow me!"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Hoping that keeping Ceri's hand helps her follow with Feet of Mist activated. Feet of Mist makes it harder to track Forest Down, but would it be beneficial to also activate Slip Away. Per the text it would make Forest Hunter a face in the crowd, unnoticeable unless she takes a significant action.

Strength + Athletics = 4d10 (4d10)[9][2][3][5](19) and 10 again (4d10)[3][1][7][7](18)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Together they fight their way through the press. The other workers, finding their escape blocked, revert to blind animal panic. Most of them hadn't dealt with anything more stressful than an overdue bill in years, psychologically they were not equipped to deal with the kind of life-and-death struggle that wild animals face everyday. On top of that many of them were in poor physical condition, the cramped air was already filling up with the sickly smell of sweat emitted through too many layers of fat and too many layers of cheap fabric, it reminded Hunter of the smell of rancid bacon.
    If she were unable to push her way through such a crowd she would be unworthy of calling herself a descendant of Father Wolf and Mother Luna. Likewise Ceri, who had lived every second of the last few days in expectation of being murdered, fought her way through with a grim determination her co-workers could not match nor resist.

Yet for all their success fighting their way through it was all for naught. Ceri leads Hunter round a corner and together they discover the main staircase already engulfed in flame. 'How...' Asked Ceri, but the question died unformed on her lips. Hunter knew what she was going to ask though; The staircase was uncarpeted stainless steel, to a human's narrow perspective it should be impossible to burn.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Before moving any further, Forest Hunter will first gaze sideways, sending her vision into The Hisil to confirm her suspicions.

She will also pull out her cellphone and text Iggy, asking where he is.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Hunter's message does not illicit a reply, at least not yet. Gazing sideways she sees the Phoenix grappling with the building's spirit, an obviously uneven contest. The building's spirit howls in agony each time it takes hold of the Phoenix, it's glass and concrete limbs melting away under such intense heat.
    And then, as Hunter watches, it lets go. Then the Phoenix, in flagrant disregard for Father Wolf's most sacred law, reaches across the Gauntlet. In the Flesh Hunter hears explosions nearby and a second later is hit by a wall of heat. In desperation the building Spirit once again reaches for the Phoenix.
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-10 at 07:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Like the fires now burning in the building, Forest Hunter's anger flares inside her and she has to stifle a growl to resist her rage and the growing heat in the building. "We have to get out of here," she snarls, as much to herself as to Ceri, before pulling the woman back to begin looking for a window with the nearest fire escape, such as the one she previously used to reach the top of the building.

(OOC: What floor are we on now btw?)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

The smoke is getting thicker now, filling the vast enclosed space with alarming speed, the air is filled with the crackle of flames and the wails and moans of those who have already given up hope. Nearby someone has employed a fire extinguisher but it is like spitting into a hurricane.

The press of bodies near the fire escape is gone when they return to it, beaten back by the flames. Nearby Hunter finds a small office whose window opens near to the fire escape, with her head out the window assesses the distance, the fire escape stairwell is roughly 8-9 foot away. She takes a brief second to relish the sensation of clean air in the lungs, hearing as she does so the rising call of sirens in the distance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You are on the third floor
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter opens the window, relishing the fresh air, gulping down good oxygen and making sure Ceri gets to clear her lungs as well. After a few moments, she points Ceri towards the fire-escape. "Do you think you could make it to that from this window?" she asks, though deep down she isn't very optimistic.

However, if this window didn't exit directly to the fire escape, it meant another window very nearby must. If Ceri wasn't confident she could jump to the escape, it would have to be an easy navigation to the correct window, even if it meant fighting through the crowd.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceri had performed admirably so for, but it in clear looking at her now shock is setting in. With slightly glazed eyes and slightly slurred speech she shakes her head 'No, I don't think so. And that drop...' She leaves the rest unsaid, a failed jump would likely be lethal 'But there's no other way. We'll have to-'

She suddenly leaps back from the window with a cry of astonishment. A monstrously large osprey had landed on the window sill, swooping down as if from nowhere. Hunter instantly recognizes her Totem. One-Fell-Swoop's beak opens and it's reedy high-pitched voice all but shrieks 'Jump Hunter, trust me.' It immediately jumps back into the air,vanishing as quickly as it appeared.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Stamina+Athletics roll as the smoke and heat is now approaching lethal levels.
    Also please roll strength+athletics if you intend to make the jump
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-16 at 11:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter tried to stifle her frustration with the situation, but could not hold back a "Well sorry Ceri, but I don't think we have any choice anymore, now do we. I'll jump overthere then you will. I'll try to catch you."

With that, Forest Hunter steps up onto the windowsill. With her hair covering the back of her neck, and her jacket on, she hopes it won't be too clear to Ceri as Forest Hunter switches into Dalu, before jumping for the fire-escape.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stamina (2) + Athletics (2) + Dalu (1) (5d10)[10][4][6][5][1](26) and 10 again (5d10)[2][5][2][4][3](16)
    Str (2)+Athletics (2)+ Dalu (1) (5d10)[10][4][8][9][6](37) and 10 again (5d10)[10][5][2][3][1](21)

EDIT: Once she is across, Forest Hunter will switch back to Hishu before turning around to face Ceri and try to catch her.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-16 at 11:33 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceri doesn't look confident as she hauls herself through the window, and as she jumps she loses her footing. She falls more than leaps, crying out in mortal fear.

Suddenly the air is howling. A moment ago the wind had been still, now Hunter is buffeted against a powerful updraft that almost forces her off her feet. Ceri is caught by the supernatural hurricane, lifting her up, spinning wildly, into Hunter's outstretched arms.

The two hit the metal walkway together hard, for a moment Hunter sees stars, tiny blank dots of nothingness drifting across her vision. Still she notices the silence, deafening in it's suddenness. The howling wind is gone as quickly as it arrived.
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-17 at 07:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter sighs, glad the two made it across. She turns to Ceri and quickly asks, "You okay?" making sure she is between the woman and the walkway down.

(OOC: So I want to double check with you about Forest Hunter's goal here. Her goal is to "silence" Ceri from further reports, right. This can be anything from convincing her to be quiet, to actually offing the woman, though this would be less desirable right? Because a push here would kinda be an easy though unethical way to fix things...)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

'Yes' comes a meek voice, then a second later 'And no. What the hell is going on? What was that wind? And that bird? I swear it... And how were the stairs burning?' We each new question she grows more and more frantic. She hauls herself to her feet and takes a deep breath. Then two more. 'Yes, I'm ok, physically. I hurt but I can move. My car's nearby.' Ceri's back is to the railing, inches away, she is distracted, looking away from Hunter. The Irraka in her comes instantly awake, her senses are flooded with a hyper awareness of how easy the kill would be, so clean, so quick, so perfect.

Spoiler
    Show
    My intention is to leave you a free hand in deciding how to deal with the problem. Yes killing her is an option, and as long as Hunter is discrete it's an option her pack would accept. It is only less desirable because of the suspicion a death or disappearance would cause. It would cause of lot of attention to focus on the Scar Brands who as you've seen are not very subtle at all.

And the ethics are a bit hazy, which I like, it's about how Hunter interprets them. It is natural for an Uratha to kill. Mechanically it can represent the Uratha becoming closer to Harmony (The ideal state) and I think that's deliberate, killing people does profoundly affect them, but not in a human way at all and not to the same extent. Not that they can't mourn, or regret after the fact, and killing someone they're emotionally attached to is a whole other thing, but the act itself doesn't bother them as much. They are, after all, a remnant of the physical/spiritual embodiment of hunting and killing.
    There's also potentially a lot on the line. you don't know how much she knows, I mean maybe she thinks the Scars are just a weird gang with a major wolf fetish but potentially she's been working up to spilling the beans about everything. Really the fact that werewolves exist is just the tip of the iceberg. She has promised three more articles on the subject after all
    On the other hand no other options have been explored yet, and on a human level Ceri's plight is sympathetic. She's willing to die to expose the monsters who killed her love.
    On the other other hand you don't know what steps she took to ensure the story comes out even if the Scars did kill her.

I'll move us on to the next scene if you decide to leave with her.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter gives Ceri a stern, almost angry look with her cold blue eyes; meant to give pause and silence the woman's line of questioning. "Let's just say you are way in over your head here, and in a lot of danger. There are some some bad people want to do some bad things to you, and I want to prevent that if I can, but you have to trust me and keep your mouth shut. Perhaps, if you are lucky, we can find a way to get revenge for your lost man."

With that Forest Hunter turns, and makes her way down the fire escape, using her phone to reach out to Ice and set up a meeting point.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Hunter's answer leaves Ceri sputtering in sudden anger, but she bites back a reply. There is still no answer from Black Ice, as it goes to voicemail Ceri brushes past Hunter to reach the bottom of the stairs, she turns to look at Hunter but doesn't stop on her way to her car 'We don't have time to wait. I hope your friend's ok but I've got to go. Are you coming or not?' No mock bravado this, her jaw is set, mouth narrowed to nothing, determination and defiance burn in her eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter scowled, unable to fully stifle growl that was escaping her throat. But what she lacked in social graces, Hunter made up for in bubbling anger and feet that moved like the wind. She makes sure to keep pace with Ceri Williams, saying, "Ya, I'm sure my friend will be alright. It's best we get out of here, but let's be smart. I don't know if you have a safe place to go, but I do." She makes sure to put herself between Ceri and her car, trying to make sure she has her say before Ceri drives them away somewhere "not useful".
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

'Why stop at one safe place?' Ceri asked sardonically 'I've had nothing to do for days but sit and stew. I've been designing bolt holes just to... you know, not think about it. Improving my chances of survival was just a bonus.' She casts a glance back at the burning building and adds 'Probably better to pick one I didn't tell the police about.'

After an initial burst of speed to get away Ceri drives with almost exaggerated care and over the course of the journey calms down somewhat as the adrenaline trickled away, not that her eyes ever stopped darting around seeking danger at every turn.

Ceri's bolthole is, conveniently, on the pack's territory. Near the Liberty Stadium, on the outskirts of the Slaglands. Even through the Gauntlet Hunter can smell the sickly sulfur odor of the countless sickness and decay spirits festering in the Hisil of Saint Thomas.

Ceri lets herself into a deserted house that had been left to ruin, even without a wolf's senses Hunter could tell the place is overrun with vermin. It was covered with crude graffiti and the windows were all boarded over.

Ceri waits for her in the darkness, there's a strange shine to her eyes when she asks 'You're one of them, aren't you?'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-23 at 10:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter scowls, raising an eyebrow in frustration, "You mean a Scar? Wouldn't it be pretty dangerous for you if that's what I am?" She takes a step towards Ceri, daring the woman to speak up, daring her to be cautious.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling Forest's abysmal Manipulation + Intimidation here for a total of 3 dice (3d10)[1][8][9](18) and 10 again (5d10)[1][4][5][6][5](21)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

'No,' shes Ceri quietly, 'Not a Scar.' Hunter's lie had rocked her confidence, she sounds less sure of herself but presses on regardless, refusing to back away when Hunter steps toward her 'You're a werewolf aren't you?'
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"That seems like a strange accusation to make of someone who just saved your ass," Forest Hunter says, crossing her arms and allowing her frustration and anger to rise to the fore in her voice. Doing her best not to tip her hand, Forest Hunter ***** her head and says with accusation, "I think you have A LOt of explaining to do."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

'There's nothing about this that isn't strange.'
    Ceri speaks with venom, her eyes narrowed and her jaw set. Absently she is clenching her fists, probably unaware she is doing it.
    Hunter's primal senses notice all of this and far more, determining that Ceri is the easiest prey of all, one that is resigned to death. One that would kick out in it's death throes not for desperation or love of life, but simply for spite, simply to wound the animal that killed her
    'I've got to admit, I didn't believe everything they told me at first. But now I've seen that fire, felt that wind. It's all true. You can transform into wolfmen and that's the least of your secrets isn't it? Holy ****.' Ceri backs away slightly, putting some distance between her and Hunter, clearly resenting the necessity 'It seems cheeky saying this, because you did save my life, but I've already taken measures. If I die or disappear, the story comes out anyway.'
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter does not step forward. The predator knows when it's prey is trapped. A predator knows when to wait, and when to strike. Instead she raises her arms in frustration and says, "You know how crazy you sound, right? You are spouting some mighty paranoid conspiracy ****." As she speaks, she does her best to study her surroundings, looking for any information, any traps, any video cameras filming the room.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Using my second to last WP for a subterfuge roll Persuasion/manipulation (2) + subterfuge (1) +WP (3) to convince Ceri that Forest Hunter is ignorant of what she is being accused and that Ceri is talking crazy. 1 WP left. (6d10)[6][9][7][7][4][6](39) and 10 again (6d10)[6][2][7][6][9][3](33)

And also rolling perception to study the surrounding (5d10)[5][7][6][1][9](28) and 10 again (6d10)[5][5][6][9][10][7](42)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceri seems to deflate before Hunter's eyes. When next she speaks her voice is quiet and guilty and her gaze is averted to the floor 'I'm sorry. I guess you're right, living on the run has made me paranoid...' After a few seconds she looks back and there's a journalistic spark to her gaze, even amid utter chaos with death looming above still her instincts cause her to sniff after a story 'So when you said I was over my head, there were bad people after me, who were you talking about? And how are you, my Guardian Angel?'

Spoiler
    Show
    There are no obvious traps or cameras.
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-29 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter nods and offers Ceri a meek smile. "I think your writing has put you in great danger," The Uratha starts, speaking slowly and purposefully, "It's the Scars you were talking about... obviously. They are a gang like you said, but they are more than that, and they clearly don't like the press you are giving. Let's just say the Scars are my enemy, and you know the saying, my enemy's enemy is my friend." Hunter goes no farther from that, instead trying to push her lead, "I don't know how secure we are hear, but I think it's best if you lay low just for a little while. I know you are doing good work, but you saw what they did to that building, just to get to you. They are bad, and they are dangerous, and if you want to survive, it may be best if you just stay low and stay quiet, just till the heat blows over."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceri is silent for a few moments, obviously weighing up how much to confide in her rescuer. 'If the Scars are your enemy there's a lot you need to know about them. Because they are werwolves. And I don't care if you don't believe me, because I have proof.'
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I think I will have to see the proof," Forest Hunter says, bile rising quickly in her throat.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceri studies Hunter carefully 'I don't have it with me, but I can go get it. But here's a taster.' From her breast pocket she produces a photograph. Hunter has seen it before, on the front page. But now she gets to see it without the pixellation, the gory scene of the murders, bodies ripped apart and sundered with massive bites marks.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Forest Hunter keeps her arms folded across her chest as she studies the photograph, doing her best to maintain the mask of skepticism. She hands the photo back to Ceri, and says, "I agree that no dog could do that sort of damage," and lets the thought hang there for a long moment as if she were deep in thought before adding, "but no offense, but it's pretty hard for me to jump to the conclusion of Werewolf."

Quickly, as if to avoid further discussion, Forest Hunter asks, "How secure are we? We can't stay here forever... but I'm afraid the Scars may find us again."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

'Oh that's just the start!' says Ceri triumphantly 'I have recordings and witness statements from the deceased. And this isn't the first murder that's been covered up. There's one werewolf that has some control over the local police. They've covered up dozens of incidents like this, that's going to be my headline tomorrow.' Hunter's sick feeling gets worse, Ceri is most likely describing her Alpha 'I've got some police reports I really shouldn't have. I can show you it all tonight, if you can't wait until tomorrow.' The last had been said with a note of levity, but she is deadly serious as she continues 'If the Scars are your enemy too you need to know all of this.'
    Spoiler
    Show