Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 830
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    On the tip of my tongue
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Eh, either way it means a timeline where cap never returns, to explain cap returning before he left and heading down to the bench.
    If Cap can arrive earlier on the platform as your theory suggests, I don't see why he can't arrive at the same time on the bench. They're equivalent translations through spacetime from the spacetime coordinate Cap is supposed to return to. If anything, the latter should be easier.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2019-05-28 at 10:10 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Guys, it was Mickey Mouse (fitting now that Disney runs marvel) who was the hero because that mouse was spared and then freed Ant Man.
    In other dimensions, Thanos erased that mouse too.

  3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    I realize I'm late to the party, but I wanted to voice my take on the time travel issue. Basically, my take is that it operates on "close enough" logic.

    Spoiler: Close Enough
    Show
    In other words, alternate timelines are not generated if the events of a time loop can still logically lead to the same results as the loop before it.

    For instance, the Titan Abortion tactic wouldn't work, because Thanos plays too major a role in the timeline. Remove him from the sequence of events and the sequence unfolds to a very different outcome. A new timeline is generated.

    "Close enough" logic would say that other forms of interference, on the other hand, would be fine. You go back in time and drew on his face with a sharpie when he was a child, and that doesn't change much. Thanos may be a little more careful about sleeping situations due to an embarrassing event in his youth, but he still fails to save Titan, he still comes to his 50% solution conclusion, he still snaps to the beat. Outcome is the same, no new timeline generated. Sure, the outcome could lead to an alternate outcome (Thanos is embarrassed enough that he doesn't present his theory to his fellow Titans and thus doesn't find the righteous indignation that pushes him to demi-omnicide), but if it can logically go the same way it will, like water following a groove.

    By this logic, a lot of suspected issues cease being issues. The cube and the staff are broken? Irrelevant, because they were going to break anyway. It just happened ahead of schedule. All that really changes is that Samuel L Jackson refers to the Tesseract as "that creepy blue rock" rather than "the cube" and Hydra experiments on a mysterious yellow rock instead of a mysterious alien staff. Thor's conversation with mommy doesn't break anything because she still owns up and lets herself die to the dark elves. And the hammer may start from a different location when Cap drops it off in Asgard, but it will still go to the same place when Dark World Thor calls for it.

    As a result, Old Steve Rogers would not break generate a different timeline, as long as Cap isn't stupid. He stays in the past and becomes Steve Carter, contendedly boring househusband. He doesn't tell his wife spoilers beyond "it will all turn out alright", which does nothing but feed the perky optimism (and frustrated snark) Peggy Carter is known for. He knows his history enough to avoid New York in the 2000s, and times his visits to his ailing wife to avoid his past self - and maybe not even that, it's not like young Steve is going to spot graymane Steve walking past him in the hallway. Staying out of trouble is hard, even as an old guy, but he knows that it all works out if he does nothing and he breaks time if he does anything. Once the loop successfully returns to where it began, Old Steve is free to make his presence known and pass his shield on to the survivor with the highest charisma score. (Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you.)


    Anyway, that's my take on the matter. I think it's a simple enough construct that covers the basics.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

    1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

  4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot find a complete clip of that scene at this time to fully refute you there, only one that starts midway through the relevant discussion, but that was very much not my takeaway from that scene.
    I think this is what you're talking about.

    https://youtu.be/gMJZ57hz2-Q?t=80
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-05-29 at 03:57 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

  5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I think this is what you're talking about.

    https://youtu.be/gMJZ57hz2-Q?t=80
    No, that part I already referenced a couple of posts ago. At that point I was referring to the scene in Endgame where Hulk and The Ancient One are discussing the issue of the timeline splitting. There's a clip of the scene out there that's easy to find, but it begins with The Ancient One already midway through her explanation, telling Hulk that if he removes the Time Stone, her timeline will split off. The relevant context to either support or refute Anteros' claim (or neither, if the dialogue is inconclusive and we're both just drawing different inferences from it) would come just before that.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot find a complete clip of that scene at this time to fully refute you there, only one that starts midway through the relevant discussion, but that was very much not my takeaway from that scene. There was no suggestion that it is only the use of the Time Stone that results in timelines varying, only that removing one would result in a timeline split, since the past would have been changed such that it would no longer become the Avengers' original future.
    The Ancient One absolutely says that the Infinity Stones are responsible for maintaining the one true timeline and that it is specifically removing the stones that will cause the timelines to split.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, an old school RPG of Gothic Fantasy. Download full rules at heartofdarknessrpg.com

  7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    The Ancient One absolutely says that the Infinity Stones are responsible for maintaining the one true timeline and that it is specifically removing the stones that will cause the timelines to split.
    Which is a bit silly, since now the stones are destroyed. What now. Is there no time? Is everything splitting constantly?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Friv's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Which is a bit silly, since now the stones are destroyed. What now. Is there no time? Is everything splitting constantly?
    There are two possibilities.

    Possibility #1 - When Thanos destroyed the Stones, he did so in a way that dissolved them throughout the universe, so things are self-maintaining and basically okay.

    Possibility #2 - When Thanos destroyed the Stones, he did a big no-no and the next phase of the MCU is going to be about the ramifications of there not being Stones any more.
    If you like my ideas, why not take a peek at my Patreon? New RPGs and campaigns on a constant drip!

  9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    There are two possibilities.

    Possibility #1 - When Thanos destroyed the Stones, he did so in a way that dissolved them throughout the universe, so things are self-maintaining and basically okay.

    Possibility #2 - When Thanos destroyed the Stones, he did a big no-no and the next phase of the MCU is going to be about the ramifications of there not being Stones any more.
    Possibility #3 The Ancient one forgot about the iron fleet. Aka they weren't thinking about it when they wrote the line.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

    My gaming and ideas channel.

  10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    What the Ancient One says is:

    " I'm sorry, I can't help you, Bruce. If I give up the Time Stone to help your Reality, I'm dooming my own."

    and

    "The Infinity Stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits. [Shows black stream indicating a point of divergence] Now, this may benefit your reality, but my new one…not so much. In this new branched Reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be overrun. Millions will suffer. So, tell me, Doctor, can your science prevent all that?"

    The problem is that the Time Stone is "our chief weapon against the forces of darkness." She doesn't mention any existential threat due to the lack of a stone itself, the problem is the threat of "the forces of darkness" without the Time Stone specifically as a weapon against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

  11. - Top - End - #761
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Thanos explicitly says they're not DESTROYED destroyed, they're atomized and scattered across the universe. They're not gone, just made inaccessible.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    What the Ancient One says is:

    " I'm sorry, I can't help you, Bruce. If I give up the Time Stone to help your Reality, I'm dooming my own."

    and

    "The Infinity Stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits. [Shows black stream indicating a point of divergence] Now, this may benefit your reality, but my new one…not so much. In this new branched Reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be overrun. Millions will suffer. So, tell me, Doctor, can your science prevent all that?"

    The problem is that the Time Stone is "our chief weapon against the forces of darkness." She doesn't mention any existential threat due to the lack of a stone itself, the problem is the threat of "the forces of darkness" without the Time Stone specifically as a weapon against them.
    Right. I assume she means without the time stone Dormommu would win in Doctor Strange.

    But she still says that bolded part above, meaning that it is specifically removing the stones that create branching time ways, not merely changing the past.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, an old school RPG of Gothic Fantasy. Download full rules at heartofdarknessrpg.com

  13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    What the Ancient One says is:

    " I'm sorry, I can't help you, Bruce. If I give up the Time Stone to help your Reality, I'm dooming my own."

    and

    "The Infinity Stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits. [Shows black stream indicating a point of divergence] Now, this may benefit your reality, but my new one…not so much. In this new branched Reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be overrun. Millions will suffer. So, tell me, Doctor, can your science prevent all that?"

    The problem is that the Time Stone is "our chief weapon against the forces of darkness." She doesn't mention any existential threat due to the lack of a stone itself, the problem is the threat of "the forces of darkness" without the Time Stone specifically as a weapon against them.
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Right. I assume she means without the time stone Dormommu would win in Doctor Strange.
    Definitely true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    But she still says that bolded part above, meaning that it is specifically removing the stones that create branching time ways, not merely changing the past.
    I don't think so, no. It's an odd remark, but it doesn't necessarily imply that it's only messing with the stones that can change the timelines, just that removing one from hers definitely will, which is just as true if what it takes is any major change to the timeline. And it certainly doesn't carry the implication of a single, set, predestined order of events throughout all time that can only be changed if the use of the Time Stone is involved, as Anteros implied.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I don't think so, no. It's an odd remark, but it doesn't necessarily imply that it's only messing with the stones that can change the timelines, just that removing one from hers definitely will, which is just as true if what it takes is any major change to the timeline. And it certainly doesn't carry the implication of a single, set, predestined order of events throughout all time that can only be changed if the use of the Time Stone is involved, as Anteros implied.
    So saying that the stones "create the flow of time" is just a non sequitur then?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, an old school RPG of Gothic Fantasy. Download full rules at heartofdarknessrpg.com

  15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Rakaydos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    So saying that the stones "create the flow of time" is just a non sequitur then?
    It may be biased to the Ancient One's view, as the only stone she's personally handled is the time stone.

    Also remember the final exchange.

    "Did Strange make a mistake?"
    *pause*
    "...Or I did."
    Then the ancient one hands over the stone.

    Ancient one can presumably do the same "check the future" trick Strange did, and didnt need to check nearly as many possibilities. "Strange was destined to be the greatest of the Sorcerers Supreme" and she was standing in the way of that destiny, due to a gamble that Strange made, his "one chance" of beating Thanos. (but, Destiny, so a million to one is a guarenteed success)

  16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    So HISHE, How it should have ended did their Endgame video.



    I forgot about one of the points they did with Endgame and there silly time travel that HISHE pointed out, can you use time travel to de age a person while keeping there existing brain waves and identity?

    Is this how 1992 Michael Fassbender Dark Phoenix Magneto becomes the 2000 Hot as [Censored] Ian Mckellen X-Men Magneto? Or does Apocalypse Horseman tech prevent Fassbender from evolving into a sexy as [censored] silver gay fox? 🦊

    --------

    Also for world wide box office sales Endgame is at #2 and is still 54 million dollars behind #1 Avatar. Is this a good thing or bad thing, getting 98% of the way there? (It is even further behind if you calculate ticket prices inflation.)
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-06-14 at 07:17 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So HISHE, How it should have ended did their Endgame video.



    I forgot about one of the points they did with Endgame and there silly time travel that HISHE pointed out, can you use time travel to de age a person while keeping there existing brain waves and identity?

    Is this how 1992 Michael Fassbender Dark Phoenix Magneto becomes the 2000 Hot as [Censored] Ian Mckellen X-Men Magneto? Or does Apocalypse Horseman tech prevent Fassbender from evolving into a sexy as [censored] silver gay fox? 🦊

    --------

    Also for world wide box office sales Endgame is at #2 and is still 54 million dollars behind #1 Avatar. Is this a good thing or bad thing, getting 98% of the way there? (It is even further behind if you calculate ticket prices inflation.)
    It's a good thing that it made #2 in the box office.

  18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kitten Champion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Also for world wide box office sales Endgame is at #2 and is still 54 million dollars behind #1 Avatar. Is this a good thing or bad thing, getting 98% of the way there? (It is even further behind if you calculate ticket prices inflation.)
    If they really want the bragging rights - which, well, Disney owns both properties so I'm fairly certain they'll sleep comfortably with or without them - they can find an excuse to re-release it at some later point as Avatar did, just to scoot ahead for posterity.

    If we're adjusting for inflation, I don't think anyone is ever beating Gone with the Wind. Looking at the numbers though, Avatar came closer than I thought. Still hundreds of millions off, but Endgame would need around a billion more to surpass it in today's Monopoly money. Which, considering the context of Gone with the Wind's release and subsequent success that's a good thing, just objectively speaking.

    Ya'know, it's kind of surprising in this age of name recognition as the big capital in Hollywood, no one's suggesting a Gone with the Wind remake. I mean, it's a bad idea and I'm not going to argue otherwise, but so was was that Ben-Hur remake that Paramount released in 2016 and no one stopped them.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-06-19 at 06:53 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone else curious why Tony didn't just...

    Spoiler
    Show

    ... fly away with the stones, behind allied lines, and leave Thanos to get smashed by Captain Marvel?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

  20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone else curious why Tony didn't just...

    Spoiler
    Show

    ... fly away with the stones, behind allied lines, and leave Thanos to get smashed by Captain Marvel?
    because

    Spoiler
    Show
    that's not what happened and / or it would have been significantly less interesting if it had happened like that.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show


  21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone else curious why Tony didn't just...

    Spoiler
    Show

    ... fly away with the stones, behind allied lines, and leave Thanos to get smashed by Captain Marvel?
    Spoiler: Headcanon
    Show
    Headcanon: Cpt. Marvel can't beat a de-gloved Thanos. It takes a lot out of you to use the damned glove, so he was actually fighting figuratively with one hand tied up behind his back.

    By the same metric, it was all Tony could do to click fingers immediately - he wasn't carrying the stones, he was wearing them, and they were already starting to kill him. He didn't have the time to flee, and he couldn't risk being intercepted. He was finally in the sacrifice play that Cpt. America told him he would never be in, and the only way Tony could cut the wire was to get it over with.


    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-17 at 07:46 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone else curious why Tony didn't just...

    Spoiler
    Show

    ... fly away with the stones, behind allied lines, and leave Thanos to get smashed by Captain Marvel?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two big reasons might be
    - that he didn't just snap Thanos but all his forces. There's a planetary-destruction level invading army currently fighting, and while they could probably take them with Thanos off the field the damage was going to be terrible, especially if they scattered on his death and the fight moved beyond rural upstate New York - to say nothing of the deaths among the Wakandans, wizards, and warriors actively fighting them that he could prevent. It's IC to just end it if he could.

    - it's a sure thing. Thanos has bounced back unexpectedly every time they have had him on the ropes, doing his own version of pulling out a clever trick or backup or an unannounced Fabulous and Amazing Power whenever they thought they might have him. Tony, just this once, has an absolute guaranteed This Will Stop Him card in his hand and there is no way he would hold off on playing it lest some new reversal come along and leave him regretting it forever.

  23. - Top - End - #773
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mightymosy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Have you people discussed why someone like Thor or Hulk can't snap Iron Man back to life?

    Hulk only got his arm scarred by snapping trillions back to life (who died 5 years earlier).
    Seems to me like snapping Tony back would be trivial in comparison, maybe scar a hair on one of his fingers or something??
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

    I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

    I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

    *Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

  24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Maybe the stones in the MCU can't straight up resurrect people? The people who were snapped were a special case since the stones had snapped them away in the first place.

  25. - Top - End - #775
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    That's not a bad headcanon. The Gauntlet can cancel/undo a previous use of the Stones, but they can't directly undo the side effects of the Stones themselves. An injury or death caused by Gauntlet activation can't be fixed unless the "Wish" was specifically about causing that injury or death, so Hulk's arm can't be un-withered, Tony or Nat can't be resurrected, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  26. - Top - End - #776
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mightymosy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    How about putting him into Hulk's juvenation chamber?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

    I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

    I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

    *Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

  27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Maybe the stones in the MCU can't straight up resurrect people? The people who were snapped were a special case since the stones had snapped them away in the first place.
    That's not just headcanon. They practically state this is how things work in the movie itself. The Avengers have a conversation about bringing back the people "who are just sort of gone" as opposed to the other people they lost. We don't know how they know this or why it works that way, but the way it's said, its clear the Avengers think that snapped people can be resurrected and other's can't.

    Of course, Thanos turns back time to resurrect Vision just to kill him again in Infinity War.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Of course, Thanos turns back time to resurrect Vision just to kill him again in Infinity War.
    Who was destroyed by Wanda, whose powers are described as coming from the stone (and indeed, the reason why she can destroy the mind stone is because of her connection to it). And thus covered under the same clause as "destroyed by the snap".

    I'm not saying it's a foolproof answer - the film is thankfully not that concerned with providing such - but it is as solid a headcanon as one can expect from the circumnstances.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Vision may be something of a loophole in the use of the Stones because whilst he's sentient I don't think he's alive on the terms that the Stones set (and in particular, the terms that the Soul Stone sets. Interesting hypothetical: what if Thanos had loved Ultron, and used him as the sacrificial lamb? Would the Soul Stone have accepted that price of its use?)

    Without the Mind Stone, the colour goes out of Vision identical to Optimus Prime in the 1986 movie. Insofar as he has a life, it's inextricably linked to the Mind Stone, which either provides the Time Stone with the nexus required to reverse his destruction, or determines him as material and not life, which is therefore something the Time Stone can work on.

    Just waiting on someone to throw the Dr Manhattan quote at me now.

  30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Vision may be something of a loophole in the use of the Stones because whilst he's sentient I don't think he's alive on the terms that the Stones set (and in particular, the terms that the Soul Stone sets. Interesting hypothetical: what if Thanos had loved Ultron, and used him as the sacrificial lamb? Would the Soul Stone have accepted that price of its use?)
    And you just launched a ship. You should be proud of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •