New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers: Endgame Discussion Thread

Just saw it and running low on battery. In short : it was great, despite some minor issues.

My main complaint is apparently almost nobody in my cinema got what was to me the best joke in the movie (Steve in the elevator). Or everyone was a very opinionated comic fan and didn't laugh out of spite.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Just saw it and running low on battery. In short : it was great, despite some minor issues.

My main complaint is apparently almost nobody in my cinema got what was to me the best joke in the movie (Steve in the elevator). Or everyone was a very opinionated comic fan and didn't laugh out of spite.
    SO with you on that. Me and about 3 other people started laughing our asses off, then stopped when we realized nobody else was laughing. I don't know how people who were seeing the movie on opening day (at a matinee on a work day, no less) could have not gotten the joke, but then I am eternally surprised by what cultural references sink in and which ones don't.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Not a recap of the discussions above but instead:

Spoiler: Set Paradox meter to...Genisys
    Show
    So I'm not sure the way they handle time travel holds up...at all.

At first it sounds like they use a pretty strict solution to handle time travel paradoxes. "You change the past, it doesn't change the future" because you can't since "that past is your future" it wouldn't make sense. Notwithstanding all those movies to the contrary, they seem to establish that travel to the past is actually travel to a parallel universe. This is later confirmed by The Ancient One, who tells Hulk that removing the infinity stone would endanger their universe and she cannot risk her universe for his.

However, the ancient one also says that to remove the infinity stone creates a "branch" which implies time forks whenever there is a change due to time travel. That's an elaboration that completely unnecessary and complicates things.

If there are infinite universes...how do they know to go back to the one they planned to go to when they want to return the infinity stones? Maybe they'll go back and end up in a new parallel universe with its own infinity stones.

In any case, the parallel universe appears theory appears to be B.S. since Captain America takes the long way home Otherwise why do we see him old and on the bench and not at the time travel platform? Moreover,
    Spoiler: Agents of SHIELD Last Season Finale...like WTF
    Show
    This handling of time travel isn't consistent with Agents of SHIELD. Here time travel gets brought in, but it works totally differently. The beginning is that they're stuck in a repeating loop, involving Fitz explicitly taking the long way to the future at one point. So not parallel universes. Also, they make a new decision or two and...that's it. Loop broken.

This one ALSO doesn't make sense since we seem to have one only one timeline...that can be changed. SHIELD's handling of time travel is just as nonsensical... but in the exact opposite way

So which is it? Do we have parallel universes that don't meet, a single timeline that changes or WTF?

Also, while I recognize the Hulk v Thor discussion is interesting I want to raise a few points: specifically that Hulk claims to be "STRONGEST THEIR IS". However, Thanos tends to beat him
    Spoiler: Hulk v Captain Marvel
    Show
    But Captain Marvel appears to be Thanos' more or less equal.

Hulk was previously said to be the "Strongest Avenger" though, and there's no reason to think Thor is stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler: More thoughts and spoilers.
    Show
    You know something that I felt sort of odd was that Cap was dating someone in the Winter Soldier right? I thought he had been dating her going forward as well but he's back to Carter during this film. I also thought the Girl was Carters granddaughter so either he just erased someone from his current timeline or he was dating his granddaughter for awhile.

I also missed there wasn't a Big four shot Vs Thanos, infact I don't really remember Hulk doing that much during the final battle at all which was a shame considering he and Nat were an on/off couple.

I was also really expecting Thanos after he'd been snapped to give Stark a smile and another "You have my respect Stark, I hope they remember you" echo. Although even at the time I was debating if that was in character.
    Yes, he did. The past seems to be co-exist, they didn't seem to change it at that time.
    Spoiler
    Show

He did makeout with his own granddaughter, but it would be genetically be like kissing a second cousin so he is legally okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn4 View Post
    Watched the movie yesterday - loved it. While I enjoyed many of the other ones, this one is the only one to give me an inspirational vibe and the only one that has me thinking about it and downloading the soundtrack.
    Just so good.

Just a few minor things that bucked me:

Spoiler
    Show
    Captain Marvel. We didn't really need her (which is fine, I didn't like her anyway) except as a breakdown service at the beginning and heavy artillery at the end, both of which could have been solved without this character. So you know, kind of a waste of time to have her anyway.
    But that's not my main issue. Why did the Avengers not take her with them on the time heist instead of Warmachine? She is much stronger and has a lot of space experience. Don't tell me they couldn't have waited two weeks until she comes back or something. Really annoyed me for a while, but in the end I figured it wouldn't have made a difference anyway, the problem with Thanos only starts once blue-robot-girl malfunctions and her companion (in this case Warmachine) is already on their way home.

Also, how did evil blue-robot-girl allow Thanos to time travel? She hacks the time machine, but aren't you suppossed to have the time travel particles in order to do so? Everybody had just enough to come back once, and she had already used hers...

But as I said, great movie anyway!
    Spoiler
    Show

That is easy, Carol has her own life. Remember she isn't an Avenger, so they can't order her around.
    She is probably going back to do space missions till they give the signal.
    Carol is really just a big gun. She isn't really the finesse type. Warmachine is better as he knows the team and knows their combo strategies. Though, why didn't they leave someone to guard the time machine like Carol if she can't be taken?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Very good movie. Had some issues, but it was the sendoff/swan song that the MCU to date deserved. I loved all the references, callbacks, and in-jokes to previous MCU movies (I did catch the elevator scene, didn't laugh but I recognized what it was echoing).

Spoiler
    Show

Killing off BW was a bit of a waste, I think. But I suppose if they had to nuke her or Hawkeye, Clint had the whole 'everyone gets their family' thing going on. She had less to lose going forward by dying than he did, though it does sink my Brutasha ship and I'm sad for it.

Definitely guarantees the BW movie will be a prequel/historical story, though.

Did anyone else think Thor's beer gut looked a little too obviously fake? Not sure if it was a prosthetic or CGI, but he way he moved made it jarring somehow.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-04-27 at 06:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing off BW was a bit of a waste, I think. But I suppose if they had to nuke her or Hawkeye, Clint had the whole 'everyone gets their family' thing going on. She had less to lose going forward by dying than he did, though it does sink my Brutasha ship and I'm sad for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I strongly suspect this particular outcome was decided by outside-the-movie considerations. Renner's signed up for a TV series to air at a later date on Disney+, so it seems he's down for playing Hawkeye for a while ScarJo apparently is not equally enthused and took this chance to opt out. The way they staged that particular sequence made it pretty clear that there wasn't any good in-character reason to prefer one over the other.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I strongly suspect this particular outcome was decided by outside-the-movie considerations. Renner's signed up for a TV series to air at a later date on Disney+, so it seems he's down for playing Hawkeye for a while ScarJo apparently is not equally enthused and took this chance to opt out. The way they staged that particular sequence made it pretty clear that there wasn't any good in-character reason to prefer one over the other.
    Spoiler: bw movie
    Show
    Then why agree to do a black widow solo movie? I mean it can still be done, but it sucks that she doesn't have a future. Kinda like how Howard Stark dies in civil war so all the movies can't really have him do anything useful.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure there was, they just decided not to use it. In Infinity War, Thanos has to give up what he loves most, Gamora, for the Soul Stone. It's not just a human sacrifice. In Endgame, they just made it so someone had to die. What Clint wants most is his family back. What Natasha wants most is to save Clint/ have him survive. So have Natasha have to sacrifice Clint. But that means the wrong actor survives so... Change the rules?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Not a recap of the discussions above but instead:

Spoiler: Set Paradox meter to...Genisys
    Show
    So I'm not sure the way they handle time travel holds up...at all.

At first it sounds like they use a pretty strict solution to handle time travel paradoxes. "You change the past, it doesn't change the future" because you can't since "that past is your future" it wouldn't make sense. Notwithstanding all those movies to the contrary, they seem to establish that travel to the past is actually travel to a parallel universe. This is later confirmed by The Ancient One, who tells Hulk that removing the infinity stone would endanger their universe and she cannot risk her universe for his.

However, the ancient one also says that to remove the infinity stone creates a "branch" which implies time forks whenever there is a change due to time travel. That's an elaboration that completely unnecessary and complicates things.

If there are infinite universes...how do they know to go back to the one they planned to go to when they want to return the infinity stones? Maybe they'll go back and end up in a new parallel universe with its own infinity stones.

In any case, the parallel universe appears theory appears to be B.S. since Captain America takes the long way home Otherwise why do we see him old and on the bench and not at the time travel platform? Moreover,
    Spoiler: Agents of SHIELD Last Season Finale...like WTF
    Show
    This handling of time travel isn't consistent with Agents of SHIELD. Here time travel gets brought in, but it works totally differently. The beginning is that they're stuck in a repeating loop, involving Fitz explicitly taking the long way to the future at one point. So not parallel universes. Also, they make a new decision or two and...that's it. Loop broken.

This one ALSO doesn't make sense since we seem to have one only one timeline...that can be changed. SHIELD's handling of time travel is just as nonsensical... but in the exact opposite way

So which is it? Do we have parallel universes that don't meet, a single timeline that changes or WTF?

Also, while I recognize the Hulk v Thor discussion is interesting I want to raise a few points: specifically that Hulk claims to be "STRONGEST THEIR IS". However, Thanos tends to beat him
    Spoiler: Hulk v Captain Marvel
    Show
    But Captain Marvel appears to be Thanos' more or less equal.

Hulk was previously said to be the "Strongest Avenger" though, and there's no reason to think Thor is stronger.
    Spoiler: The long way home
    Show
    I think I understand the time travel logic, at least in the Cinimatic Universe. AoS is on it's own.

1) Bruce says it's multiverse theory. Tony develops a "GPS for time travel"- IE, the ability to navigate to the "correct" timeline, and then come home to your own. So nothing you do in the past affects you before you left, because different timeline, but if you stayed in the timeline you are in, you'd end up with different things happening. The "recall button" means you can find your way home despite this. (Call it the "Future Trunks" timeline theory)
    2) The Ancient One objects to being left in a doomed timeline- one without one of the 6 foundational stones of the universe in it. Bruce counters that if the stone is returned instantly, the timeline will recover- there is a form of historical inertia that smooths out minor differences between universes.
    3) Steve Rodgers set out with, among other things, the Reality Stone and Time Stone, on a mission to repair the timeline. He had the tools to erase any change made by the time travelers. (if Loki shows up with a duplicate space stone, Captian did a rather poor job, but that's on Disney) Once all the major timeline changes are fixed, historical inertia will smooth out minor changes... minor changes like Steve being his old girlfriend's grandfather. (though I want to rewatch the "peggy cater in the old folks home" part of Winter Soldier (Or was it Avengers 1?) to see how well that part of the timeline holds up)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Someone has to die
    Show
    I think its a false choice between Natasha and Clint. In making the movie, they could have come up with lots of ways to get the soul stone...including taking the opportunity to figure out what this ****ed up test exists and how Red Skull is the guardian telling people about it.

If someone had to die here, anyone could have been it. This, however, was a great opportunity for another Avenger v Avenger battle and the girl won.

This is Marvel however, there are numerous ways to bring Black Widow back if they want to go that route.

Spoiler: Six Stones are One away from Dragon Balls
    Show
    There is a cost to having resurrections, and I'm not sure there should be more. Already they've brought back everyone from the snap, and we got past-Gamora back thanks to time travel. The more ways they come up with to bring characters back the less meaningful their sacrifices are.

We now have access to the quantum realm, time travel, other dimensions...possibly parallel universes, we are coming dangerously close to the heroes having Dragon Ball levels of ability to reverse mistakes.

One of these days the MCU Earth will be destroyed and restored.
    Spoiler: Agents of SHIELD Last Season
    Show
    Wait, that was last season on Agent of SHIELD...
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure there was, they just decided not to use it. In Infinity War, Thanos has to give up what he loves most, Gamora, for the Soul Stone. It's not just a human sacrifice. In Endgame, they just made it so someone had to die. What Clint wants most is his family back. What Natasha wants most is to save Clint/ have him survive. So have Natasha have to sacrifice Clint. But that means the wrong actor survives so... Change the rules?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They went with the logic that Clint cares about his family, and his old SHIELD partner is the only family he has left, after the snap. There is noone left alive he cares about more.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Colossus in the Playground

Short version: it was ok.

Spoiler
    Show
    End battle about 5-10 min too long. But Loki is back, which buys a lot of forgiveness. Though this is peak angry, evil Loki, defeated twice and never talked itvout with Thor.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler: The long way home
    Show
    I think I understand the time travel logic, at least in the Cinimatic Universe. AoS is on it's own.

1) Bruce says it's multiverse theory. Tony develops a "GPS for time travel"- IE, the ability to navigate to the "correct" timeline, and then come home to your own. So nothing you do in the past affects you before you left, because different timeline, but if you stayed in the timeline you are in, you'd end up with different things happening. The "recall button" means you can find your way home despite this. (Call it the "Future Trunks" timeline theory)
    2) The Ancient One objects to being left in a doomed timeline- one without one of the 6 foundational stones of the universe in it. Bruce counters that if the stone is returned instantly, the timeline will recover- there is a form of historical inertia that smooths out minor differences between universes.
    3) Steve Rodgers set out with, among other things, the Reality Stone and Time Stone, on a mission to repair the timeline. He had the tools to erase any change made by the time travelers. (if Loki shows up with a duplicate space stone, Captian did a rather poor job, but that's on Disney) Once all the major timeline changes are fixed, historical inertia will smooth out minor changes... minor changes like Steve being his old girlfriend's grandfather.
    Spoiler: The paradoxes of time travel are beyond human comprehension - also your headcanon
    Show
    First: Sharon Carter is Peggy's NEICE not granddaughter. There's no reason to think Steve ever dates his own granddaughter, unless he has a kid in 45' that's not mentioned as well as an unmentioned girlfriend later.

Second, you described sounds like the opposite of parallel universe theory. Stark's "GPS" takes you to the "right" place, time, and the "correct" timeline (yours), so if you stay it affects your timeline, if you change the past it affects another timeline, and any minor anomalies get smoothed over because time is resilient like that.

What you describe, except for the fact that changing the past creates the alternative timeline and doesn't affect our own, is exactly like every movie mentioned as an objection to Stark/Hulk's description on how time travel works. Usually, its the time travelers that end up in that alternative timeline. That would be all well and good, but you still want Steve changing the past, affecting the future, and ending up in the future.

That's strange and weird and paradoxical in entirely new ways and also isn't what was described.

If you can work it out though, I think what you have is closer to the version in Agents of SHIELD.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-04-27 at 07:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: The paradoxes of time travel are beyond human comprehension - also your headcanon
    Show
    First: Sharon Carter is Peggy's NEICE not granddaughter. There's no reason to think Steve ever dates his own granddaughter, unless he has a kid in 45' that's not mentioned as well as an unmentioned girlfriend later.

Second, you described sounds like the opposite of parallel universe theory. Stark's "GPS" takes you to the "right" place, time, and the "correct" timeline (yours), so if you stay it affects your timeline, if you change the past it affects another timeline, and any minor anomalies get smoothed over because time is resilient like that.

What you describe, except for the fact that changing the past creates the alternative timeline and doesn't affect our own, is exactly like every movie mentioned as an objection to Stark/Hulk's description on how time travel works. Usually, its the time travelers that end up in that alternative timeline. That would be all well and good, but you still want Steve changing the past, affecting the future, and ending up in the future.

That's strange and weird and paradoxical in entirely new ways and also isn't what was described.

If you can work it out though, I think what you have is closer to the version in Agents of SHIELD.
    Spoiler: Timelines
    Show
    Then again, we also have to consider the entire Dr Strange movie. Strange is warned about all kinds of time paradoxes that can happen with the time stone (which is not Quantum Realm time travel, note) If returning the time stone was the last stop, the Ancient One could use it to break the "normal" time travel rules to sent Steve to his Happily Ever After.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Short version: it was ok.

Spoiler
    Show
    End battle about 5-10 min too long. But Loki is back, which buys a lot of forgiveness. Though this is peak angry, evil Loki, defeated twice and never talked itvout with Thor.
    Spoiler: Loki
    Show
    Loki isnt back, outside this movie. He didnt return to the future the way past-nebula did, so unless he stowed away on Thanos's ship (after absconding with the space stone thanos is still looking for) when thanos was pulled foreward, he's still dead.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Problem being: if that's what happened then that assures Thanos wins, because if he gets enough Pym particles to bring his entire army through to the future, he certainly has enough to send his agents around the timestream Terminator style to assure his victory.

Only way to get around that problem is then Steve using the Infinity Stones to block every single one of those attempts or something. Maybe that explains what the Sorcerer Supreme does on her off days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He has pym particles, but he doesn't have the time machine. That's the anchor, and the time GPS watch thing is just the tether. So with the pieces he has, Thanos could make more trips to the future that Nebula came from, but not necessarily anywhere else in that Nebula's timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Spoiler: Time Stone
    Show
    So anyone want to explain to me what the Time Stone can do with its own time travel powers, and how this is the same yet different than Quantum Realm Time Travel?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The time stone can alter your own past, or the timeline of something else. It is capable of actually changing history, instead of just making alternate futures. Just for fun, the space stone can also allow time travel just like the quantum realm does.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Spoilering this but I agree:
    Spoiler: Hulk vs Thor
    Show
    It's pretty clear that Thor isn't at his fighting weight, either emotionally or physically. He blew his part of the stone-retrieving mission because he couldn't get a handle on himself even before his mum showed up. He's a total wreck who can barely control himself even before he gets his hands on the ultimate power glove. Give him the Gauntlet and who knows what he'll do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume he'd make it rain alcohol forever.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parallel universes. The agents of shield time "loop" isn't an 8 or a O, it's a series of N's.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought for sure they would do the direct callback to Winter Soldier, but instead they did an even better reference and got away with it. Honestly impressive.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2019-04-27 at 09:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought for sure they would do the direct callback to Winter Soldier, but instead they did an even better reference and got away with it. Honestly impressive.
    Spoiler
    Show

I assume we're talking about the dig at the Captain Hydra storyline?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-04-27 at 09:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Fridge Logic- The universe is doomed.
    Show
    so, the Ancient One explained that a timeline without the infinity stones is doomed.
    Thanos destroyed the infinity stones, and captian sent all the stones back in time to keep from dooming them.

Where does that leave post-thanos alpha-timeline Earth 19999? Without the stones to hold the universe together, what's going to happen?

20. - Top - End - #170

Show
    so, the Ancient One explained that a timeline without the infinity stones is doomed.
    Thanos destroyed the infinity stones, and captian sent all the stones back in time to keep from dooming them.

Where does that leave post-thanos alpha-timeline Earth 19999? Without the stones to hold the universe together, what's going to happen?
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't think that was her intent. What TAO was referring to, in her case, was that Dr. Strange would need the Time Stone to stop Dormammu, and if he didn't have it available because Bruce had taken to his future, then the world would be doomed.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

The Verge website wanted you to rewatch Captain America The Winter Solider just for that scene prior to going to see that movie (they saw an advanced screening.)

Here’s the one old MCU sequence everyone should rewatch ahead of Avengers: Endgame
    No spoilers ahead — just trust us on this recommendation
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/24/1...winter-soldier
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Just got back
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called it on the Black Widow death,
    Surprised by the Iron Man Death
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parallel universes. The agents of shield time "loop" isn't an 8 or a O, it's a series of N's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parallel universes is the most boring answer to make time travel ‘work’.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the figleaf there is that if I remember right Thanos doesn't destroy the Infinity Stones precisely, he's just taken them apart at an atomic level. The stones are still present in that timestream, just in a dispersed form (remembering the stones are said by the Collector to be concentrated ingots of the things they control.)

If so, then that's distinct from the Ancient One's objection that if Banner takes the Time Stone, he'll be removing them to another timestream, i.e. I presume another universe entirely. If they aren't present at all in that timestream they cause doom (either by their absence or by the fact the time stone isn't available to 10 I'VE COME TO BARGAIN 20 GOTO 10 with Dormammu) but that's a different situation than them being present but dissipated in their timestream.

But then they started to reason that Strange must've given the stone away and that if the Ancient One doesn't hand over the stone then one of 13,999,999 story endings occur, and I started to get really confused with the whole thing. This feels like it's going to take a diagram and some notations to figure out, my working theory now is that the MCU have just gone the Terminator route and that each timeline is a new one caroming off an old one as each movie passes.

EDIT: Actually, after, shall we say, remembering what was said - it's the other way round. As said, TAO's objection is mainly because in the "new branched reality" (quote unquote) that's created by the removal of the Time Stone, the Sorcerer Supreme et. al. are deprived of their chief weapon against the forces of darkness, which results in the Earth being overrun. So it's not that the stones are needed for the universe to continue to exist, but the same problem arises in the post-Thanos universe: if the six infinity stones are gone, Earth has nothing to resist the forces of darkness, and it's an interesting question as to why Earth wasn't overrun by said forces after the Snap ... unless Dormammu was the only or major force threatening the Earth that the Time Stone was needed to counteract. Unfortunately, the Ancient One never says directly "We need the stone to avert Dormammu's return about 5 years from now," which would've completely solved it - instead she says it's needed as a general defence, which makes things even more interesting since Earth is undefended by the Time Stone for about 5 years after Thanos destroys the stones. So we still have the same problem.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: Speculations And Theories About The Movie
    Show
    If the Beyonder would have appeared in Endgame would it make any difference in the movie or no?

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    SO with you on that. Me and about 3 other people started laughing our asses off, then stopped when we realized nobody else was laughing. I don't know how people who were seeing the movie on opening day (at a matinee on a work day, no less) could have not gotten the joke, but then I am eternally surprised by what cultural references sink in and which ones don't.
    I feel like I'm missing something. I got that it was a callback to the original fight in the elevator. I got that it was a reference to the Hydra interactions but the way you guys are making a big deal over it makes me feel like I'm missing something more there. Explain it like I'm 5 please with spoilers tags if needed!
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something. I got that it was a callback to the original fight in the elevator. I got that it was a reference to the Hydra interactions but the way you guys are making a big deal over it makes me feel like I'm missing something more there. Explain it like I'm 5 please with spoilers tags if needed!

Spoiler: From someone who doesn't read comics
    Show
    Know your meme Basically, a few years ago Marvel TOTALLY-FOR-REALSIES-WE-SWEAR-IT'S-TRUE made Captain America into a member of Hydra. It went over poorly. Mostly because it was an overhyped publicity stunt that everyone knew that they were lying and it would get undo/be fake/imposter whatever the final stupid solution was.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Spoiler: From someone who doesn't read comics
    Show
    Know your meme Basically, a few years ago Marvel TOTALLY-FOR-REALSIES-WE-SWEAR-IT'S-TRUE made Captain America into a member of Hydra. It went over poorly. Mostly because it was an overhyped publicity stunt that everyone knew that they were lying and it would get undo/be fake/imposter whatever the final stupid solution was.
    I also do not read comics (Well, not in the last 25 years or so), but I was aware of that and the movie refering to the same... I guess I just don't have the same level of investment as those I quoted because it didn't seem like a big thing to me.

Thanks for the reply! :)
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2019-04-28 at 01:45 AM.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, now next morning and without depending on my phone...
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, that's why I liked it, too. They build it up to be a repeat of the WS scene, possibly going for a one on one reenactment but then they made an (imo) even better turn, taking a dig at themselves. Of course ymmv but I really liked it.
    Talking of comic references (I'm sure I missed a billion because I don't read any / much, I assume Tony being surprised at Howard heading for 'his' birth is because Tony was actually adopted. I guess in this timeline nobody told him.

Mor in general, again, I really liked it. it was a great sendoff of a cinematic story made in more than a decade.
    I'm not sure if from a 'logical' pov time travel was the best way to take because it just creates... well, bs.
    I get that it allowed them callbacks to all their movies and create a lot of good scenes but it also created most of my issues. Like the whole evil Nebula bit felt very forced, especially Good Nebula not just escaping when she just needs to push the stupid button. I would have even taken Thanos somehow learning about the future this way but the whole climax hinges on her not just escaping. There must have been a better way to create a finale, no? Also, the space team could have gone to any point in the last thousand years or so because both stones where there for ever. You made things hard on yourself on purpose.
    Also, of course Loki escaping with the Tessaract and Cap being too egoistic to go back (okay, I know I'm not a romantic but you knew her for like a week and years, decades later you decide to risk the timeline to bone her? You're worse than the Doctor. And how exactly did Cap return the Ether? I mean, even taking it didn't go so well. Couldn't you have stolen it from after the movie?

Ah, I'm bitching too much about the time travel. Too many good scenes were made from it.
    It was great fun, I consider going again, maybe even for a 3D showing to see the difference.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #180

RangerGuy

Can we agree that Nebula...

Spoiler
    Show
    bludgeoning Quill

... was very satisfying?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"