New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Portals

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Portals

Let's say that there is an inflated balloon in my hand. Then, let's say there is a portal large enough the balloon. Then, let's say that there is a smaller portal inside the balloon so that when something is pushed through the first portal, it'll be smaller when it comes out the second one. Then, I push the balloon through the first portal and shut both portals at once. Now, where is the balloon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Portals

So, essentially your question is: "if I make end 2 of a wormhole travel through end 1, where does it end up?"

That's a fair question. I don't know. Maybe it's just impossible, because it doesn't fit inside itself, or you can't move around just one end?

Adding the shrinking tech to make it fit complicates the matter a lot because now you're just braking natural laws to break them. The answer to the full question is probably "I don't know, where does your magic system say they end up?"
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Depends on how the portal works. Just it just convert matter to something else and then put it back together on the other side? Or is it a "Portal" style that connects two separate spaces? With a portal style portal it might be impossible to make the entrance and exit two different sized. For a conversion type portal the object may not come out he other end as anything other than a bunch of particles. Or it may not allow an object that will not fit through at all.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Depends on how the portal works. Just it just convert matter to something else and then put it back together on the other side? Or is it a "Portal" style that connects two separate spaces? With a portal style portal it might be impossible to make the entrance and exit two different sized. For a conversion type portal the object may not come out he other end as anything other than a bunch of particles. Or it may not allow an object that will not fit through at all.
    It is a portal that connects two spaces, and since those haven't been invented yet, we don't know if it's possible to just make one end smaller.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

https://youtu.be/R5H-U2cmlxc?t=68 turns out this question was already answered by Chowder. Neat.