New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    The reason they did what they did is greed. This new model gives them the most amount of benefits with the least amount of effort. I have already brought up my points too (which havent been proven wrong either).

I understand if people want to calm down the angry audience but its important to voice concerns when a big and unfair dealis about to be passed. You know how people in power get away with nasty stuff? When people allow them to happen. GameFreak should learn that people arent happy with this decision.
    Is part of business. They only care about the money, not the fans.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I will not buy the new game personnaly. Not just because Im unhappy about all of what the game has to offer but it was a factor in my decision.

I especially want to see if my favorites Pokemon are in there... And I really wonder if Dynamax will make Driftblim viable. I know, I have a weird favorite LOL

I'll consider buying the game, maybe, only around July 2020. Its specific but I am hoping they will consider giving updates for the game. Im pretty happy in watching walkthroughts of games I consider buying anyway.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

As an added note, this is the least I would like to have on what Pokémon animations and battles on console should look like if they really want to prove their point of "extra work".

Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2019-06-19 at 01:37 AM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

https://youtu.be/tAydd_b8Xlo

H I G H Q U A L I T Y A N I M A T I O N S
    Last edited by NatureKing; 2019-06-19 at 01:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    https://youtu.be/tAydd_b8Xlo

H I G H Q U A L I T Y A N I M A T I O N S
    Thanks for posting that. I did not expect the bullcrit to be this smelly and big.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On a different topic;
    Does anyone else think the Champ comes off as kind of... sinister?

I mean they talked about how the people of Galar like him, rely on him, how nice he is and how everyone thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread (which he totally invented).

And all I could think was: he's evil! He's totally evil and deceiving them all! He's the villain!.

Plus he just looks the part.
    Like, he could be trying and he wouldn't look any more villainous.

Maybe he's the next Lysandre?
    (Or Lusamine. Or Ghetsis.)
    Huh. I think there might be a pattern.
    I didn't trust either of those from the moment the showed up.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    On a different topic;
    Does anyone else think the Champ comes off as kind of... sinister?

I mean they talked about how the people of Galar like him, rely on him, how nice he is and how everyone thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread (which he totally invented).

And all I could think was: he's evil! He's totally evil and deceiving them all! He's the villain!.

Plus he just looks the part.
    Like, he could be trying and he wouldn't look any more villainous.

Maybe he's the next Lysandre?
    (Or Lusamine. Or Ghetsis.)
    Huh. I think there might be a pattern.
    I didn't trust either of those from the moment the showed up.
    Mostly looks like Iris to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the Galar Champ just looks like a top bro and that's enough to make them a satisfying target to beat.

Plus if he was a villain in disguise, he would be ahead of some big organization to conduct his nefarious plots, but he seems to be running a solo show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Pokemon Sword and Shield second most pre-ordered game from those shown at E3.

Just behind Call of Duty itself.

Surpassing Final Fantasy VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077 and Borderlands 3 pre-orders besides every other game coming to the Switch!
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Pokemon Sword and Shield second most pre-ordered game from those shown at E3.

Just behind Call of Duty itself.

Surpassing Final Fantasy VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077 and Borderlands 3 pre-orders besides every other game coming to the Switch!
    Just goes to show how much of a vocal minority those complaining about lack of full dex are.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Pokemon has always been a way for Nintendo to print money, while I find aspects of Sword & Shield...lacking; I am in no way surprised that it will sell like hot cakes.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just goes to show how much of a vocal minority those complaining about lack of full dex are.
    Not really. The people who would have Preordered day 1 would have Preordered day 1 anyway.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I would wager a vast majority of the playerbase don't play much longer past Elite Four, let alone know the process of how to transfer Pokemon in from other games. What the internet thinks of as "casual" and what an actual casual Pokemon player is are two very different things.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I would wager a vast majority of the playerbase don't play much longer past Elite Four, let alone know the process of how to transfer Pokemon in from other games. What the internet thinks of as "casual" and what an actual casual Pokemon player is are two very different things.
    Yeah, most of the playerbase don't bother fully completing the pokedex either. Even since generation I with only 150(1). So most won't care if there's a few obscure mons missing, they'll still have more than enough to play with between old and new.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I had a friend who told me 'as a casual player I don't mind them restricting the dex, its too much to keep up with all the pokemon nowadays' and I left a good essay in response. Points we all know, so I won't rehash them.

Point being - yes, I know self-acclaimed nerds who are diehard Nintendo fans (in terms of Mario, Zelda, etc) and are perfectly okay with this.

I tried to illustrate it to him in terms of one of his favorites: Super Smash Brothers. There are currently 74 playable characters. Imagine having the next game only having 25 characters for better sprites/character balance/too hard for players to learn 74 different play styles.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know about the dex thing when I pre-ordered Sword. I just saw the June 11th direct and ordered Sword based on the legendary. now that I know about it though, I'm definitely considering whether to cancel my order though, just waiting for the right information to tip me one way or the other. I don't really care about anyone elses concerns. so what if a lot of people disagree with me? I'm not going to change my opinion just because of them, I'm a customer to and its their decision to not service to me, just as its my decision to want this regardless of others want.

Screw both competitive and casual. I'm arguing based on what I value, not whether its popular, not whether its unpopular, and if someone agrees with me good, and if people don't, oh well, people not agreeing with me is no reason to change my opinion, just as its no reason for them to change their opinion to mine. and what I value is all pokemon THERE. not my favorites, not my least favorites. all of them.

It will all depend on what new information will be coming next, and what I can expect. while I'm not happy in the slightest, I don't have the full picture and until I get that full picture or if they change their mind, its best to wait and see.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post
    I had a friend who told me 'as a casual player I don't mind them restricting the dex, its too much to keep up with all the pokemon nowadays' and I left a good essay in response. Points we all know, so I won't rehash them.

Point being - yes, I know self-acclaimed nerds who are diehard Nintendo fans (in terms of Mario, Zelda, etc) and are perfectly okay with this.

I tried to illustrate it to him in terms of one of his favorites: Super Smash Brothers. There are currently 74 playable characters. Imagine having the next game only having 25 characters for better sprites/character balance/too hard for players to learn 74 different play styles.
    ...Did you not play any Smash before Ultimate? They added a handful in Melee, some of which didn't make to to Brawl, and some new ones in Brawl didn't make it to 4. Ultimate is unique in having all previous fighters, it's not been the norm by any means. People whinged for a bit, but all those games were very successful and relatively popular (tripping excluded).

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    ...Did you not play any Smash before Ultimate? They added a handful in Melee, some of which didn't make to to Brawl, and some new ones in Brawl didn't make it to 4. Ultimate is unique in having all previous fighters, it's not been the norm by any means. People whinged for a bit, but all those games were very successful and relatively popular (tripping excluded).
    Indeed.

Still there was a vocal minority screaming about Waluigi (including personally harassing/threatening Sakurai himself).

And at least pokemon hasn't fallen to "pay 5 bucks to unlock this new character" like even Smash has been doing.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Indeed.

Still there was a vocal minority screaming about Waluigi (including personally harassing/threatening Sakurai himself).

And at least pokemon hasn't fallen to "pay 5 bucks to unlock this new character" like even Smash has been doing.
    What else do you think the second games will be next year?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

What are you talking about? putting out paid pokemon DLC is one of the more optimistic scenarios, the pessimistic one is that we just get Pokemon Home and its just a subscription you have to pay forever just to keep your pokemon, just pokemon bank but with some features added on probably. at least with the paid dlc, I only get to pay once and then I can just transfer them over. not some ongoing bull that will just drain on my wallet for no reason.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aren't Smash's DLC characters basically (small) add-ons/expansions?
    Having to pay for something like that sounds reasonable.
    I mean it's not like they're making you pay for characters already in the game.

Ontopic,
    The complaints about the missing Regional Dex are definitely a few years too late.
    S/M/US/UM already didn't have one.
    Yes, it's missing something, but stop acting as if it's something new.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Ontopic,
    The complaints about the missing Regional Dex are definitely a few years too late.
    S/M/US/UM already didn't have one.
    Yes, it's missing something, but stop acting as if it's something new.
    That's not a fair representation of the point. Pokemon Bank will happily export any non-regional pokemon into U/S/M. They are telling us that Pokemon Home will only export pokemon to Sword and Shield if they are of a species native to Galar. For example, you could import Bouffalant into Alola despite there not being a pokedex entry. You can import Bouffalant into Pokemon Home, but unless they make Bouffalant native to Galar, you cannot transfer Bouffalant to Sword and Shield using Pokemon Home. The transfer from Pokemon Bank to Pokemon Home is one-way. So, if you transfer a pokemon to Pokemon Home, but it's not in Sword and Shield's pokedex, it just sits there. You can't battle with it.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    That's not a fair representation of the point. Pokemon Bank will happily export any non-regional pokemon into U/S/M. They are telling us that Pokemon Home will only export pokemon to Sword and Shield if they are of a species native to Galar. For example, you could import Bouffalant into Alola despite there not being a pokedex entry. You can import Bouffalant into Pokemon Home, but unless they make Bouffalant native to Galar, you cannot transfer Bouffalant to Sword and Shield using Pokemon Home. The transfer from Pokemon Bank to Pokemon Home is one-way. So, if you transfer a pokemon to Pokemon Home, but it's not in Sword and Shield's pokedex, it just sits there. You can't battle with it.
    Huh. Pretty sure I had something about the transfer thing in that post too.
    Did the forum eat something again?

Nevermind, if transfering from Bank to Home (or however that will work) will be possible then most of that was irrelevant anyway and yeah, making them not usable is pretty much idiotic.
    Unless Home includes some really nice options to interact with stored Mons I will probably pass unless it's included in the Switch's online fee.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

the impression I got, is that most people didn't even get USM. like, there was only ever like three or four new pokemon in there total, most of the plot was SM copy paste, and had even more cutscenes than SM, which people are tired of. and as someone who actually bought USM, I didn't even know that they it wouldn't give me nationaldex info, nothing told me of that, and what I've seen is that the general reaction I've seen to USM is "should I purchase this? doesn't seem all that different." and I didn't bother to transfer over stuff from SM to USM because they are so similar and on the same system, that I figured I might as well not bother and just transfer both of them over to the next gen when it comes around.

doesn't help that the USM story stuff that is different, is generally worse than SM. because they messed up what made it good and compelling and replaced it with dull safer outcomes, or tried to push Hau as a serous rival which is just never happening.

USM was just lazy, all around. most of its just copy-paste, the parts that aren't had little if any reason to be in, or filled it with even more pointless cutscenes, or replaced the awesome villain that was Lusamine with Ultra Necrozma, whose entire story is basically "I ate Android 17 and 18 Lunala and Solgaleo and became Perfect Cell Ultra Necrozma, now my power level is maximum".

so I think Kantaki isn't taking into account that USM was basically there to make you buy SM again and everyone saw through it because thats basically what it was and didn't care because they already had SM, and SM is better. and its not as if they told anyone up front that USM had no capability of recording pokemon from other regions in a dex, I certainly didn't know that, and I have it.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    What are you talking about? putting out paid pokemon DLC is one of the more optimistic scenarios, the pessimistic one is that we just get Pokemon Home and its just a subscription you have to pay forever just to keep your pokemon, just pokemon bank but with some features added on probably. at least with the paid dlc, I only get to pay once and then I can just transfer them over. not some ongoing bull that will just drain on my wallet for no reason.
    No, what are you talking about? DLC isn't transferable between Smash games. Or anything else for the matter.

When I get a new Smash game, I need to find/capture whatever fighters are available again besides whatever I get at start.

All those fancy spirits from Ultimate that you can collect, level up, and even "evolve", do you think we'll be able to transfer them to the next smash entry? No, you'll have to start from a blank state, just as every other smash ever.

So summarizing it:

Smash-Half the new characters are delayed for months and locked behind a paywall at the rate of 1/12th the price of the full game per new character, you can't transfer anything from previous games and always need to grind everything that's available from scratch.

Pokemon-New mons are available right away for no extra cost, and for a small fee (less than 0.2% percent the price of the full game per old pokemon assuming at least 500 old pokemon make it in) you can transfer stuff from your previous games saving you the trouble of finding/grinding them again. Unless you're planning to live over a century real time, pokemon Home is extremely cheap compared to paying Smash DLC even once. Or you can skip the fee and find/grind them the normal way. But no amoung of grinding will get you Banzo-Kazooie in Smash, cough up 5 bucks please. For this game only, who knows if Banjo will be DLC or even available next Smash.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-20 at 06:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    the impression I got, is that most people didn't even get USM. like, there was only ever like three or four new pokemon in there total, most of the plot was SM copy paste, and had even more cutscenes than SM, which people are tired of. and as someone who actually bought USM, I didn't even know that they it wouldn't give me nationaldex info, nothing told me of that, and what I've seen is that the general reaction I've seen to USM is "should I purchase this? doesn't seem all that different." and I didn't bother to transfer over stuff from SM to USM because they are so similar and on the same system, that I figured I might as well not bother and just transfer both of them over to the next gen when it comes around.
    When I abbreviated U/S/M, I meant that in the same abbreviation as S/M/US/UM, I just find it clunky, but I guess that wasn't as clear as I thought. Everything I said goes straight for Sun and Moon as well, save for the Ultra Beasts introduced in the Ultra titles that are the opposite of the discussion at hand.

Pokemon like Bouffalant, Phanpy, Spiritomb, Reuniclus, and Bellsprout have no pokedex entires in Sun and Moon, Ultra or otherwise. But you can still Pokebank them over, regardless of that fact. However, you won't be able to Pokemon Home them into Sword and Shield unless someone at Game Freaks says, "Yes, this is a pokemon that belongs in Galar."
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

When I abbreviated U/S/M, I meant that in the same abbreviation as S/M/US/UM, I just find it clunky, but I guess that wasn't as clear as I thought. Everything I said goes straight for Sun and Moon as well, save for the Ultra Beasts introduced in the Ultra titles that are the opposite of the discussion at hand.

Pokemon like Bouffalant, Phanpy, Spiritomb, Reuniclus, and Bellsprout have no pokedex entires in Sun and Moon, Ultra or otherwise. But you can still Pokebank them over, regardless of that fact. However, you won't be able to Pokemon Home them into Sword and Shield unless someone at Game Freaks says, "Yes, this is a pokemon that belongs in Galar."
    Well you know what they say: A perfect game is a happy game.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Unless you're planning to live over a century real time, pokemon Home is extremely cheap compared to paying Smash DLC even once. Or you can skip the fee and find/grind them the normal way. But no amoung of grinding will get you Banzo-Kazooie in Smash, cough up 5 bucks please. For this game only, who knows if Banjo will be DLC or even available next Smash.
    What do you think USUM was? What do you think Galar v2 will be? Galar remade, with a better storyline and more mon available? Like USUM was? Except unlike USUM, you don't get to use the things you want unless Game Freak decided that they were arbitarily okay to be in Galar (a setting based on the UK, with Hippowdon, of all pokemon, and the Region Champ

Spoiler
    Show
    using Charizard as his signature pokemon

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe Pokémon Pike and Shot (working title) will have the national dex. They figured that to make the second game a bigger improvement you need to leave more stuff out of the first one.

This thought started as a joke, but now I'm not so sure anymors.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Maybe Pokémon Pike and Shot (working title) will have the national dex. They figured that to make the second game a bigger improvement you need to leave more stuff out of the first one.

This thought started as a joke, but now I'm not so sure anymors.
    I'm not sure either, given that USM was basically SM copypaste with questionable "improvements". like 90% of the game was the same. the totem pokemon were different, the final bosses was different, you got some surfing game no one cared about. three actually new pokemon, five if your obsessed with getting mythical pokemon as I am, and a stupid wormhole minigame to get ultra beasts but none of that actually matters, because the entire journey is basically the same. none of these changes I've listed actually made the experience better, it just made me remember how much I liked SM. I'd actually recommend the original ones over the Ultra versions, because the ultra versions are just a cheapened shadow of the SM ones. complete with annoying robot people constantly annoying you every two minutes. like it was just obvious that no effort was put into it.