New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm not sure either, given that USM was basically SM copypaste with questionable "improvements". like 90% of the game was the same. the totem pokemon were different, the final bosses was different, you got some surfing game no one cared about. three actually new pokemon, five if your obsessed with getting mythical pokemon as I am, and a stupid wormhole minigame to get ultra beasts but none of that actually matters, because the entire journey is basically the same. none of these changes I've listed actually made the experience better, it just made me remember how much I liked SM. I'd actually recommend the original ones over the Ultra versions, because the ultra versions are just a cheapened shadow of the SM ones. complete with annoying robot people constantly annoying you every two minutes. like it was just obvious that no effort was put into it.
    You're forgetting that there was some post-game content that wasn't in S/M thought. I've played both moon and ultra-sun, and I'm pretty sure the whole 'team rocket' stuff wasn't in there. Also, I think lussianne's portrayal was significantly different? I can't quite remember.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    You're forgetting that there was some post-game content that wasn't in S/M thought. I've played both moon and ultra-sun, and I'm pretty sure the whole 'team rocket' stuff wasn't in there. Also, I think lussianne's portrayal was significantly different? I can't quite remember.
    That is one of the aforementioned 10% that is changed and made worse. lusamine was defanged, and team rocket wasn't interesting enough for me to care. I fought them enough to get them out so I can use online plaza then had no idea where they screwed off to.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

So...

When do you think they'll start to sell Master Balls for real life cash?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So...

When do you think they'll start to sell Master Balls for real life cash?
    about five years after any other company would've stopped, probably. nintendo is a turtle when it comes to such trends.

but it makes little difference, since anyone who knows the games enough will use quick or dusk balls instead and easily do without them. and the ultra ball method of capturing legendaries is something as old pokemon itself

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

*Looks at his Nest Ball Arceus*

Ultra Balls... Right.

"Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    *Looks at his Nest Ball Arceus*

Ultra Balls... Right.

thats a mythical pokemon, not a legendary. which means you can only get that at giveaways. which means unless they gave one away in a nest ball, that shouldn't be legitimately obtainable, because the event to actually fight and catch Arceus in the original generation was never implemented for real.

also you know what I mean, it works with other balls, just not as well. because the method is to just throw pokeballs until one sticks regardless of how many of your pokemon go down or how many times you have to restart.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

thats a mythical pokemon, not a legendary. which means you can only get that at giveaways. which means unless they gave one away in a nest ball, that shouldn't be legitimately obtainable, because the event to actually fight and catch Arceus in the original generation was never implemented for real.
    The Dream World Arceus could be caught in any ball.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Well, yeah, but the one I have is as illegitimate as Lord Raziere said, I cheated in the Azure Flute event, battled, and caught it. But it's still a good chuckle for me.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

okay so I might've heard the real reason why Game Freak is doing this from a SilphSpectre youtube video: basically, the success of Pokemon Go by Niantic has made Nintendo change its strategy to making more mobile phone pokemon games, and Game Freak has decided to diversify its portfolio because its no longer the sole company making pokemon games while not putting as much effort into them because of the short attention span of people thing. because Game freak is afraid that it will lose if it put too much eggs in one basket.

so. one more reason for me to hate Pokemon Go. and dislike mobile phone games in general.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-06-22 at 06:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Is Pokemon even balanced anymore.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    No, but it never was, so that's not much of a change.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

It never was balanced. Gen 1 was broken.

no amount of them cutting down pokemon will change that. I don't think they're honestly doing this for balance or digital storage reason, many games use the same number of animations for as many different characters while with better graphics, they just don't hire enough people to get this done correctly, so they're not planning on doing anything about it.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes it was, but they did an effort in the following games. Like Dark and Steel types were added to counter psychic dominance (and make fighting more useful). Bugs and ghosts got proper high-damage moves. Special was divided into special defense and special attack so one couldn't just Amnesia spam to ultimate power.

no amount of them cutting down pokemon will change that. I don't think they're honestly doing this for balance or digital storage reason, many games use the same number of animations for as many different characters while with better graphics, they just don't hire enough people to get this done correctly, so they're not planning on doing anything about it.
    By all means please name ten of those games that release a new entry every year and leave not a single character behind.

Hard Mode-they can't be an actually bigger company than Game Freak.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-06-26 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Pokemon doesn't release new (main-series) games every tyear; I don't know why people keep claiming that as part of the defense.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    No, but it never was, so that's not much of a change.
    Ok

I remember Generation 1 was really broken because of Mewtwo.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Yes it was, but they did an effort in the following games. Like Dark and Steel types were added to counter psychic dominance (and make fighting more useful). Bugs and ghosts got proper high-damage moves. Special was divided into special defense and special attack so one couldn't just Amnesia spam to ultimate power.

By all means please name ten of those games that release a new entry every year and leave not a single character behind.

Don't forget that Fairy Types was added to later games so that Dragon Attacks and Special Attack have no effect against Fairies.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Pokemon doesn't release new (main-series) games every tyear; I don't know why people keep claiming that as part of the defense.
    Game Freaks still releases roughly a game per year meaning the main entries are still done with just that time of work.

Sure if Game Freak had unlimited resources (including time) they would have no excuse.

But as it stands their resources are limited.

While the true titans like Blizzard and Microsoft may have shinier graphics but take more time and still don't include every last thing from the previous entries.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Mewtwo is the ultimate Uber Pokemon of all time. (Other than Rayquaza who also an Uber Pokemon as well) I just wish Mewtwo was legal in Let's Go Overused Format Games.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok
    Don't forget that Fairy Types was added to later games so that Dragon Attacks and Special Attack have no effect against Fairies.
    Indeed, each generation had changes aiming at higher balance.

Perfect balance was never achieved true, but then how many games can boast about that exactly?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Indeed, each generation had changes aiming at higher balance.

Perfect balance was never achieved true, but then how many games can boast about that exactly?
    Too many to count.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Too many to count.
    Name ten then.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Ahem.

Timeline of release years, pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Timeline of release years
    1996 Red and Green, Blue
    1998 Yellow, Red and Blue
    1999 Gold and Silver
    2000 Crystal
    2002 Ruby and Sapphire
    2004 FireRed and LeafGreen, Emerald
    2006 Diamond and Pearl
    2008 Platinum
    2009 HeartGold and SoulSilver
    2010 Black and White
    2012 Black 2 and White 2
    2013 X and Y
    2014 Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    2016 Sun and Moon
    2017 Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
    2018 Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
    2019 Sword and Shield

look at all those blank years, and oh look at those games which are basically "a game we already released but is just a patch on the first two." and look at how many are remakes of older games lets take a tally shall we?

Original Game: Red Green, Gold and Silver, Ruby Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl, Black and White, X and Y, Sun and Moon, Sword and Shield (8)
    Patch Disguised As Game: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 and White 2, Ultra sun and moon (6)
    Remake: FireRed and LeafGreen, HeartGold and Soulsilver, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Lets go Pikachu and Eevee! (4)

Of these games they've released "every year" 10 out of 18 of them are either remakes or modifications they made before on par with a patch update or DLC. thats more than half. and technically, if we count the pairs as separate games, we have 8 that are repeats of another game made at the same time, and 6 games that are repeats of repeats. so really, they've only made 8 original main games if we count one unreleased, and 24 unoriginal ones that repeat one of their 8.

they have literally produced more remakes of mainline pokemon games than they have real mainline pokemon games.

and there have been two year skips in the past, BUT not counting the remakes, we see that there is in fact a three-year gap between each actual new generation. they don't release a new pokemon game every year, they release one every three years with remakes that they put out to make it look like they releasing something new when they are not. Game Freak mastered the "sell you the same game repeatedly" long before Bethesda did it with Skyrim.

so no, your assertion that they put out a mainline game every year is untrue. they are in fact lazy and have put out more repeats than they do original games.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Name ten then.
    Pokemon Generation 1-7, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soul Caliber. You said ten.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Pokemon Generation 1-7, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soul Caliber. You said ten.
    Ten that achieved perfect balance, yes. Pokémon has never had that. Don't know about the others, haven't played them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

so no, your assertion that they put out a mainline game every year is untrue.
    No, you're the one who's adding your personal definition of "mainline" to make it false.

they are in fact lazy and have put out more repeats than they do original games.
    There's no shame in remaking an old game with improved graphics and mechanics as shown by the new Resident Evil 2's great reception.

And those "many games use the same number of animations for as many different characters while with better graphics" are done by companies that are significantly bigger over significantly longer periods of times. If you have examples of otherwise, by all means point them.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

No, you're the one who's adding your personal definition of "mainline" to make it false.

There's no shame in remaking an old game with improved graphics and mechanics as shown by the new Resident Evil 2's great reception.

And those "many games use the same number of animations for as many different characters while with better graphics" are done by companies that are significantly bigger over significantly longer periods of times. If you have examples of otherwise, by all means point them.
    I'm not. I copied and pasted that timeline from wikipedia. take it up with the people there if you think the definition wrong.

And what shame is there in taking time to craft a quality product? if anything there is more shame in pokemon's current methods across its entire media empire, as it hurts both its videogames AND its anime. being the constant timeline treadmill that it is, pokemon games and anime have both become stagnant and repetitious in the extreme. you ask for examples that you know are impossible and I'm not humoring your stupid rhetorical demand so that you can make me look silly. producing a game every year is not a virtue, its not inherently positive as the 24 repeats of 8 games show, if anything this constant copy-paste style of making games makes producing one every year inherently negative, for they will only continue to do the slapdash copy-paste without addressing quality concerns.

like more than one save file. or options to skip the tutorial. or other things that pokemon still has not managed to do despite every other game and their mother figuring out how to do them years ago back when like, OG paper mario was a thing, if not before.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

At this point Pokémon doesn't even really piss me off that much - what I would really like out of this thread now is for deuterio12 to stop resorting to the "name ten random things to help me prove my point" nonsense. It's not fooling anyone.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    At this point Pokémon doesn't even really piss me off that much - what I would really like out of this thread now is for deuterio12 to stop resorting to the "name ten random things to help me prove my point" nonsense.
    Then you have no reason to be pissed off, because I never said that.

All is I asked is that if you claim that "x is totally easy to do", then provide some actual examples of x actually being done. For you to prove your point.

Yet nobody can actually name a single other game that does all that they're asking of pokemon upgrade hundreds of characters, leave absolutely nobody behind, do it in a timely manner with just a staff the size of Game Freak's, funny that.

you ask for examples that you know are impossible
    I'm afraid you're the one who started asking the impossible from Game Freaks in the first place. If it was that easy, then every RPG who can boast hundreds of monsters would be porting every monster/spell/weapon from their previous entries. But none does. Some or many get left behind all the time.

Your one and only example is name Paper Mario , in which case guess what, the next entry Thousand Year door is already lacking monsters from the first Paper Mario. So that just shows how silly your argument is, since it already fails to meet your initial criteria.

Did the removal of previous monsters turned Paper Mario Thousand Year Door in some horrible abomination? Maybe in your eyes, but most people still loved it.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

No game is perfect and Pokemon is no expectation. There will always be flaws and drawbacks.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Although doing it twice in a row with the same game is a bit silly. #justageofempiresthings
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Then you have no reason to be pissed off, because I never said that.

All is I asked is that if you claim that "x is totally easy to do", then provide some actual examples of x actually being done. For you to prove your point.

Yet nobody can actually name a single other game that does all that they're asking of pokemon upgrade hundreds of characters, leave absolutely nobody behind, do it in a timely manner with just a staff the size of Game Freak's, funny that.

I'm afraid you're the one who started asking the impossible from Game Freaks in the first place. If it was that easy, then every RPG who can boast hundreds of monsters would be porting every monster/spell/weapon from their previous entries. But none does. Some or many get left behind all the time.

Your one and only example is name Paper Mario , in which case guess what, the next entry Thousand Year door is already lacking monsters from the first Paper Mario. So that just shows how silly your argument is, since it already fails to meet your initial criteria.

Did the removal of previous monsters turned Paper Mario Thousand Year Door in some horrible abomination? Maybe in your eyes, but most people still loved it.
    your acting as if hiring new people is impossible. and that Paper Mario is an example of something you were talking about and not of features I was talking about like multiple save files. please stop acting as if these things are true before you make a fool of yourself further.