New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And I'll agree it is a joke when you swear you actually meant it.

I'll also stop posting about this train of thought if I will continue posting about it forever.

Note that this post is not in English.
    Ok maybe Chansey is good to sone degree. I fought Chansey with my Alolha Exeggutor. And I beat Chasney with one hit with power whip.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok maybe Chansey is good to sone degree. I fought Chansey with my Alolha Exeggutor. And I beat Chasney with one hit with power whip.
    To be fair, that's because Chansey is an egg-pokemon, and Exeggutor used a whip move. Whips crack, you crack an egg. All whip moves are super effeggtive against chansey.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post
    To be fair, that's because Chansey is an egg-pokemon, and Exeggutor used a whip move. Whips crack, you crack an egg. All whip moves are super effective against Chansey.
    That's very interesting. I thought that Chansey was only weak against Fighting-type moves.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I've been playing through Pokemon Red again, and it's been fun remembering how all the old mechanics work. Having just a Special stat instead of both Special Attack and Special Defense has certainly been something. Why is Gyarados so overpowered?
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

That's very interesting. I thought that Chansey was only weak against Fighting-type moves.
    Very high base power Physical attack, with same-type bonus, hitting Chansey's very very low Physical Defense. Doesn't have to be a type weakness to blow through Chansey in that situation. Would be much different if you'd used a Special attack, where you'd be playing into Chansey's strengths.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Very high base power Physical attack, with same-type bonus, hitting Chansey's very very low Physical Defense. Doesn't have to be a type weakness to blow through Chansey in that situation. Would be much different if you'd used a Special attack, where you'd be playing into Chansey's strengths.
    Actually Alolha Exeggutor Power whip move was a critical hit plus it's a Special Attack Grass move as well.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Check again, Power Whip is a physical attack.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-04-10 at 01:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Check again, Power Whip is a physical attack.
    I check the Power Whip move and you're right it's a physical attack. But one question that boggles me if Power Whip is a physical attack move, then why is it a grass type move? I thought grass type was special attack?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I check the Power Whip move and you're right it's a physical attack. But one question that boggles me if Power Whip is a physical attack move, then why is it a grass type move? I thought grass type was special attack?
    It was split up in Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl + HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes), every game after that has each move individually assigned to Physical or Special.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It was split up in Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl + HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes), every game after that has each move individually assigned to Physical or Special.
    Ok but wouldn't some players find it confusing for each move individuality assigned to physical (For example if Quick Attack assigned to a special attack even though it's a normal move)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The moves have the physical/special symbol to let players know what they are. Most of the time the changes made sense, like the elemental punches becoming physical.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    The moves have the physical/special symbol to let players know what they are. Most of the time the changes made sense, like the elemental punches becoming physical.
    Ok thank you for telling me. Now back to the Chansey debate, I was right Chansey is weak.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Ok thank you for telling me. Now back to the Chansey debate, I was right Chansey is weak.
    Not really: Chansey has a role. And with an eviolite it has pretty good bulk specially defensively with its massive HP pool. It doesn't take physical hits well, but between Soft-boiled etc, Protect, etc, it can switch into plenty of special attacks, saving the rest of the team.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Chansey...is the opposite of weak. Holding an eviolite, it has some of the best defensive presence in the game.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    Not really: Chansey has a role. And with an eviolite it has pretty good bulk specially defensively with its massive HP pool. It doesn't take physical hits well, but between Soft-boiled etc, Protect, etc, it can switch into plenty of special attacks, saving the rest of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Chansey...is the opposite of weak. Holding an eviolite, it has some of the best defensive presence in the game.
    Only in team battles Chansey she shines but in one on one battles Chansey is garbage.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but that's mostly because of the advent of Z-Moves. In old 1v1 metagames, Chansey was a reasonable option due to having access to Toxic, Softboiled, and Counter, though you would probably just use its evolution, Blissey, in that case. Chansey appears to be rated at C+ in the current 1v1 viability rankings on Smogon, so it's better than a lot of things you could use but nowhere near the best.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-04-10 at 05:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is correct, but that's mostly because of the advent of Z-Moves. In old 1v1 metagames, Chansey was a reasonable option due to having access to Toxic, Softboiled, and Counter, though you would probably just use its evolution, Blissey, in that case. Chansey appears to be rated at C+ in the current 1v1 viability rankings on Smogon, so it's better than a lot of things you could use but nowhere near the best.
    Ok so Chansey is average and she have some use in one on one battles.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I wish I was better in 2 vs 2 teamfights... Its so disappointing that Power of Alchemy only work in those! I mean really?! It could have being awesome in a 1 vs 1 fight!

I dont know about you guys but I never play competively... I usually just put my Pokemon in the Pokemon Bank and enjoy the story and the world they builded... then reset the game to relive it again.

Its a shame the prevo arent usuable in competitive setting for the most part. I know their is supposed to have a " Little cup" but I guess I never tried to see what or how to do it.

ANYWAY... This new Pokemon game might be the reason I buy a new Nintendo... I wanna see more spoilers of the game before deciding though. Thats a lot of money sigh.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-04-10 at 10:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Unrelated, my friend has a joke-build he likes to use - BoltBeam Khangaskhan.

Kang's ability is so broken it still works, even w/ his 60 Sp Atk. It definitely puts him more OU/UU than Ubers, but it helps trick people sending physical walls, or some stalls like M-Sableye. But the elemental moves trick people up, and it's a 20% freeze/par.

Only problem is, you cant use M-Kang outside of Ubers, and if you tell someone 'oh, its a Special Kang' beforehand, it ruins the surprise. But in a friendly game, it's a lil hilarious.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1221 View Post
    Hello. Nice post and very informative. Thanks for sharing this post...
    ... what part? lol!

Seriously, I know the Pokemon games have a deep mechanic with tiers and such but Im more the guy who wish they would make Pokemon Safari in VR action. I dont play the games for the battles, I play it for the story and battling with awesome creatures. That's why Pokemon DIamond/Pearl serie was the worst for me.

Also, I wonder if Flygon would deserve a Mega Evolution, one that makes him into Bug/Dragon. It could be funny that you dont know what kind of Flygon you are facing to suddenly use a Mega Evolution when you are trying to Revenge KO it, as Flygon doesnt have the greatest defenses lol

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    ... what part? lol!
    That's a spambot. They need to have ten posts or so before they can share links. We're not supposed to reply to them, that's a warnable offense.

Also, I wonder if Flygon would deserve a Mega Evolution, one that makes him into Bug/Dragon. It could be funny that you dont know what kind of Flygon you are facing to suddenly use a Mega Evolution when you are trying to Revenge KO it, as Flygon doesnt have the greatest defenses lol
    Flygon was apparently slated to have a mega evolution, but they couldn't come up with a design that did it justice.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    ... what part? lol!

Seriously, I know the Pokemon games have a deep mechanic with tiers and such but Im more the guy who wish they would make Pokemon Safari in VR action. I dont play the games for the battles, I play it for the story and battling with awesome creatures. That's why Pokemon DIamond/Pearl serie was the worst for me.

DPP was the worst? BW and BW2 tried too hard with story to the extent it was so overdone, while simultaneously power creeping so many mon, I found DPP to have pacing issues, but preferred the mechanics so much more.

That said, Gen 5 has the least liked number of mons in the series for me, personally. Victini, Samurott, Gigalith, Leavanny, Scolipede, Carracosta, Galvantula, Haxorus, Volcarona, Reshiram... Is basically it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I found Gen IV to be the worst games to replay, despite having the single most important gameplay change in the physical/special split. The movement speed and gameplay speed is slow and the level balancing is not particularly well done for later-game content, which just killed my runs when I was doing them. I did eventually finish but man, grinding to fight Red in HG/SS nearly ended me, and I just decided not to do the postgame content in D/P/P when I replayed it.

For me B/W was the proper mix of mechanics with fast-paced gameplay that incorporated the physical/special split, the change to TMs to permanent items you could reuse was fantastic, the animations were well done in my opinion, and I really liked that they tried to tell an interesting story, even if your judgment of it might be different (B/W2 pale in comparison to B/W in my opinion here). I also liked having a game where every Pokemon was new and I got to try a bunch of new things and couldn't just rely on my memory to know what each Pokemon could do. It had the right mix of completely new experience with the nostalgia of playing the original games and not knowing what every Pokemon was or could do. The discovery element there was just what I want out of a game.

But I think my opinions here are mostly personal taste. You do you in terms of Pokemon games.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-04-13 at 02:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't replayed 1 and 2 to really say anything beyond nostalgia. I played 1 and 2 when they came out in the States...and Soul Silver sometime in the long distant past. I never got to play Gen3 on its main handheld but Omega Sapphire was...alright? Hoenn was ok. The story was fine, I'd have liked a little more time spent on the villain team but the game was ok. I enjoyed the gyms, the other bits were ok. I loved GenIV when I played it and I love Platinum but the pacing is a fair complaint and so is the general movement speed and....Cyrus is a bland villain. Sinnoh as a region is awesome but it's really empty on top of everything else.

On my first playthrough of Black/White I didn't care for it much. Having played it more recently...I really enjoyed it. The story makes it fun to do more than one time through. GenVI though is probably my favorite at the moment. It just has the right balance of story, aesthetic and a great selection of Pokemon to pick from. Is it perfect? Naw...the map is a big circle. But at the very least, the map is big and there's plenty to do on the way.

Sun and Moon and their ultras....I get it. They are limited a lot by hardware. They pushed the platform as hard as it would go and they had to do a lot of cuts. I wish they'd not have used Poke-Hawaii for that push but that's what we got. SM/U is really hand holdy and they seem terrified to let you explore the big world they want to hand you because it's all held together with spirit gum and duct tape but there are some awesome ideas in there. No more HMs being the best. If there's one thing I hope the new games take from GenVII is no more HMs. Poke-ride was fine and could easily be expanded on for things like cut to return us to a more varied and metroid-y style of RPG progression. Regional versions of Pokemon is another thing I loved but I know that's not going to keep going. Which is a damn. Shame.

The Ultra Beasts, like Mega Evolutions, were a fine gimmick. I hope we don't spend too much more time in the "oh man there are multiple worlds out there!" storylines. It was fine as an extra story in OS/AR and all but especially Ultra Sun/Moon they made a lot of noise on it and everyone knows it's just not going to be carried over. There's a really great story in Sun/Moon and their Ultra versions if you blend them together. But that's all I can really say.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Victini sounds like Bikini.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

I genuinely hope that the next gen either improves the new mechanics and moves introduced in Gen 7, because I hate how Gen 7 despite having some of my favourite designs has so few relevant mon that are not either a Legendary or psuedobeasts. There's, like, Incinerorar, who is just a fatter Arcanine, Toxapex, and maybe Mimikyu.

I really don't want to go through a story and discover my favourite pokemon have no ability to be played outside of that little story run: my next runs are usually using pokemon that are not ones I've used before. :(

Sobble and Grookey look excellent (not to say that Scorbunny isn't, just that I don't prefer it over the others), and I can't wait to use those. Just... Give me something a bit more... Oomph with the mon. (And please make Hail more viable).

Edit: I enjoyed the gimmicks and Mega Stones and Z-Moves, and would like to see more of them to make previously non viable mon more useful again (such as Lycanroc-Dusk or Kommo'o).
    Last edited by NatureKing; 2019-04-14 at 09:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, the more Legendaries they add to Pokemon as a whole, the fewer non-Legendary Pokemon get to stay in OU. Legendary Pokemon always have good stats and generally have better movepools than a lot of Pokemon, and OU is a pretty competitive space for a Pokemon to live. That plus the constant need to spectacle creep the new games often leads to new Pokemon just not cutting it unless they're super powerful. Gen V is my favorite gen but besides the legendaries (which don't get me wrong are completely overpowered) there wasn't that much it added to the competitive scene this far in.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

At Gen V's advent, there was massive power creep, and even now, there is more relevant nonlegendary Gen V mon than there are Gen 7. Gen 6 added Mega Evolutions, which massively skews things, as did Z-Crystals to a lesser extent, but despite further edition creep, the fact remains you have 3, possibly 4 nonlegendary viable mon out of an entire gen, and that kinda sucks.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I don’t like playing with most legendary except Marshshadow because he is cute and Solgaleo becomes he look so cool. But I’m generally not a big fan of kegs dart. You cannot use them in Pokémon Tower like game inside the game and I don’t play PvP in Pokémon so... yeah

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

The current round of the tournament has three days to go. Rynjin in particular has some battling to do. Come Saturday I will compile the results. Or maybe a little later if there are too many egg laying rabbits in my way.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!