New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

I wonder if Meltan and Melmetal are transferable?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    And Sword/Shield will not have a National Dex, apparently. Might skip this gen, given I have to get a console to play it.
    FWIW, Generation 7 didn't have a National Pokédex, either. Pokémon Bank's effective successor for the Switch (Pokémon HOME) will be the only way to keep track of the 900-ish-count full list.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    You can have them all in your Bank, however, and then not need to transfer each and every one of them to the next game when it comes out.
    and have to pay a subscription to keep them from being deleted? screw that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    and have to pay a subscription to keep them from being deleted? screw that.
    Then... keep them in the previous gen games? No one is going to come to your house and delete your save files as soon as Sword/Shield comes out.

I guess I just don't understand the mindset. You've already collected them, is there some sort of pay off for taking that full collection and painstakingly transferring them to a new generation, where they'll sit in a box until they get transferred to the next generation? Just kinda feels like moving collectibles from one shelf to another to me.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Then... keep them in the previous gen games? No one is going to come to your house and delete your save files as soon as Sword/Shield comes out.

I guess I just don't understand the mindset. You've already collected them, is there some sort of pay off for taking that full collection and painstakingly transferring them to a new generation, where they'll sit in a box until they get transferred to the next generation? Just kinda feels like moving collectibles from one shelf to another to me.
    shelves get dusty and break to. I don't do this update every now and then, they aren't going to be transferable at all, the system they are on will die or something, and I won't have caught them because they will be gone. that and some of those pokemon are of sentimental value and others are mythics, which can only be gotten through rare specific events. in short. some of them can't be replaced if they're lost or left behind for too long.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    FWIW, Generation 7 didn't have a National Pokédex, either. Pokémon Bank's effective successor for the Switch (Pokémon HOME) will be the only way to keep track of the 900-ish-count full list.
    You could at least bring pokemon from previous gens forward thanks to PokeBank. Not in Gen 8 apparently.

Gotta catch only some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmWu-f6L0Mo&t=1644s

Bit of a **** up along the lines of "don't you have phones?".

What's wrong with having a game that is consolidated within itself without having the option to bring in outside Pokemon? I rarely transfer in anything, even perennial favorites.
    Then the issue doesn't concern you, and you have nothing to say in the discussion? I'm sorry if that comes across as rude, but there's not much point in talking about video games saying "I don't play that bit". Playing Path of Exile? "I don't play end game, it doesn't concern me". Playing Total War? "I don't play multiplayer, it doesn't concern me".
    Last edited by NatureKing; 2019-06-11 at 04:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

No National Dex is...disappointing and not being able to transfer Pokemon from all the previous games to the Switch is even more so. I understand the logic behind it, the effort to scale up every Pokemon for the new gimmick and include the sprites in the open world-ness is a daunting task. Doesn't change the fact that it's a shame. I guess we'll see what the Regional Dex is going to look like, it may well be the largest and this is a small concern.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Can someone answer my question please? I'm being really polite here.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Literally no one outside Gamefreak knows.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

How can we answer a question we have literally no idea the answer to? You being polite or not has nothing to do with our ability to answer it.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-06-12 at 03:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    That's pretty rude.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-06-12 at 03:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's pretty rude.
    It's a long story and I don't want to get into it in public. If you want I can PM you about it.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd like to have all the mons together in 3d, but at the same time I don't want devs to IV themselves so they can work 100 hour weeks. I'm hoping they'll go generation-by-generation giving missing mons HD models.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'd like to have all the mons together in 3d, but at the same time I don't want devs to IV themselves so they can work 100 hour weeks. I'm hoping they'll go generation-by-generation giving missing mons HD models.
    There's always DLC.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    There's always DLC.
    Agreed, especially since the switch's store is more modern and conducive to it than the 3ds
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll be happy if there was a Simpsons character in Pokemon Swords and Shield.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    They already had models for all the older-gen ones, though. It's not as though Sword and Shield have a particularly higher-detail art style or something; if there's been any changes to the models of the recurring mons they've shown, I can't see it.

Seriously, switching to 3d models was a great opportunity to not need to redo so much art every generation, and then Dynamax is a decent way to get a new mechanic with a minimum of art and development time (same as Z-moves were, except moreso). If anything, I was expecting them to use the freed-up time to fix some of the really dull animations from older gens, not ditch most of the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Can somebody at least answer this question please?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Can somebody at least answer this question please?
    It has been answered, twice. Nobody knows yet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It has been answered, twice. Nobody knows yet.
    Oh ok. I didn't know. Thank you.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    They already had models for all the older-gen ones, though. It's not as though Sword and Shield have a particularly higher-detail art style or something; if there's been any changes to the models of the recurring mons they've shown, I can't see it.

Seriously, switching to 3d models was a great opportunity to not need to redo so much art every generation, and then Dynamax is a decent way to get a new mechanic with a minimum of art and development time (same as Z-moves were, except moreso). If anything, I was expecting them to use the freed-up time to fix some of the really dull animations from older gens, not ditch most of the roster.
    I'd say there's a large enough difference between style over sun/moon that it was necessary to start over or at least do heavy work on everything. In addition, I think this is informed by the workload that went into the recent yellow remake. Yes, they're probably only going to need to HD the pokemon once, but they have to HD the pokemon once.

Plus you're likely right about animation as well, increasing the workload. Fans have been wanting a true pokemon on console hardware forever, and they're going to want to avoid the "Tauros used fly!" awkward placeholder animation problems from the stadium games.

Glorious that they were.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2019-06-12 at 11:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh ok. I didn't know. Thank you.
    That answer was literally posted twice already
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    That answer was literally posted twice already
    I know. Peelee said it already.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

You guys saw the new Pokemon leak?

Spoiler: FOr those who want that spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-06-12 at 03:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yamper: a Pure electric corgi that has some ability allowing you to regain a missed pokeball, IIRC. Sounds a bit naff, but if it gets an evo or better hidden ability, Pure Electric is a solid enough typing.

Also, some Fairy/Dark Iml, whose name I forget, and looks like someone explained to a 3 year old what a vague idea of sableye was, minus the gem.
    Last edited by NatureKing; 2019-06-12 at 04:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yamper: a Pure electric corgi that has some ability allowing you to regain a missed pokeball, IIRC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I get it, it plays fetch.

That could actually make it a pretty popular pokémon for catching sprees, given that as an electric type it will have acces to paralysis, and possibly sleep through yawn.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-06-13 at 03:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Yamper and Impidip or whatever it's called isn't a leak. They were shown at E3. Along with the Water Type Trainer Nessa. Like...it was all in the demo people could play at E3. Why are we spoilering this? It's been officially announced.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

That's the thing, they switched to 3D models specifically so they wouldn't have redo them every new game: it was done for future-proofing and they just need to upscale them, maybe redo the skin, touch up where needed and maybe tweak/add animations. I might have misheard but that's what they did with the pokemon pikachu/eevee: it was the same models as the ones they used in 7th gen.

This is pretty obvious if you watch Digital Foundry's Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu tech analysis, where they compare the art styles of Gen 7 and let's go: it's clearly the same models for the pokemon shown, but the 3DS is decidedly lower resolution and uses cell shading to make distinctions on the models pop out.

Unless the upscaling for the larger screen sizes is causing serious unexpected problems with the models and skins, I doubt that would be the reason for the cut dex. I would suspect it's less the models and more an issue with animations. Specifically that if the need to add even one new subset of animations to every pokemon, that's still 800+ new animations on top of whatever else they're animating or animations they're cleaning up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bummed about the lack of national dex, but I'm attributing this to new hardware/software development hiccups over malicious intent. Personally I'd prefer them to take 3-6 months and get it, whatever it is, figured out, but they have investors and developper mouths to feed.

I'm still getting the game, I just hope that we eventually get a national dex either as post-launch DLC or as the 2nd wave of gen 8, the platinum to the diamond/pearl, if you will. If the big N can basically add Windows Movie Maker as free Smash Bros DLC, I'm hoping for something similar with Pokemon.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Why are we spoilering this? It's been officially announced.
    Some people like to play the newest games completely blind, a whole fresh adventure. So threads like this often spoiler just about anything. Not stuff like no national dex, that's more of a technical feature, but anything about the world and the fluff.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-06-13 at 03:39 AM.