New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Black Crusade 2E: The Argent Observatory (IC)

The Thousand Son sorcerer takes the brain from the other Astartes and removes his helmet revealing an excessively pale complexion and black hair. He takes a bite of the brain to absorb the memories of the deceased and then offers the brain to the last Astartes before putting his helmet back on his head.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zahariel inclines his head. Thank you, cousin. Let us see what secrets it holds. He takes the skull in one hand and reaches under his hood with the other. The red lights shut off as the helmet clicks open somewhere in the darkness. He takes his own knife and cuts a neat slice of brain matter, bringing it to his hood and eating it. After a moment to sift the memories, he hands the skull to Amon and re-closes his helmet.

I would know with whom I am working. I doubt that "Sorcerer" is the name you were given at birth or initiation. I am Zahariel, of the Ravenwing of the Dark Angels Legion. He looks around the group.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2019-04-02 at 09:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

RangerGuy

Amon nods to Zahariel. "Amon Ram, sorcerer of the Thousand Sons."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astartes Only
    Show
    Chewing on the brain of the dead man, flashes of memory begin to appear. It is rather like watching a holovid, experiencing snatches of conversation and images that do not belong to you. Much of what you see is known from the journal, but there is new information to be had amidst the jumble: The face and name of the Captain's Mate, Hector De Torvega. The piercing cold of a knife sliding between ribs. Whispers of warp-spawned sorcery, the rituals the Captain used to bind daemons that he might demand answers. The ship, the Writhing Doom. Hazeroth class. Dark corridors and damaged luminators, an ever-dwindling number of crew, tales of mutants living in distant, forgotten corners. The locations of the bridge, the plasma drives, all of the command access codes. Armed to the teeth, for its size, and fitted with secret compartments stuffed with the captain's remaining wealth. He had paid in wine for the privilege of using the port, his last bottle of a very rare vintage, carried from Ixaniad. The thrill of finally holding the key, the feeling of it slipping from his hands as a grinning Hector thanked him, and ran. Pain, and then silence.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

5. - Top - End - #35

RangerGuy

Amon Ram frowns then. "His mate doesn't just have the location of the key and how to get it. He has the actual key."

With that, he sets off at a brisk jog in the direction of where the Writhing Doom is berthed. His power armor boots make a loud THUD-THUD-THUD sound as he moves, and there is a click as he turns off the safety on his bolter.

"If he gets off planet without us intercepting him, he is likely lost forever."

6. - Top - End - #36

Goblin

Elisanth sketched an elaborate bow for the other two Astartes.

"Elisanth Foras, warrior of the Emperor's Children, delighted to make your... exquisite acquaintance."

Pausing momentarily to stretch the flayed face across his helmet's faceplate, he jogged after Amon, humming a whimsical tune as he went.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Amon and Elisanth took the lead, heading for the shipyards. The yards were heavily fortified, accessible through one of the aetheric bridges that linked the scattered rocks of the Ragged Helix. Cyclopean towers rose far above the streets, bristling with shuttered gun ports and capped with tattered penants. Platoons of soldiers clad in an eclectic mix of styles manned high walls and fortified gatehouses. Tiberius had been entrenched in the yards for a while, and had time to reinforce his position.

The walls encircled the bridge entrance, extending a short distance off from the edge of the asteroid they were perched on. Beyond, in the yards proper, they could see row upon row of shuttles and transports, control towers, banks of machinery and equipment. The landing platforms were raised, and much of the equipment set into sunken pits to protect from backwash and shuttle explosions. Several voidships held station above the staging area, surrounded by a small army of fuel tankers, supply tugs, and patrol boats. The three Astartes recognized one of the waiting ships from the Captain's memories: the Writhing Doom had yet to leave port.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #38

RangerGuy

Amon slows his pace somewhat to not look like he's assaulting the fortifications, and to allow the (assumedly?) trailing humans time to catch up.

He strides up to the main entrance of the bridge leading into the yards, assuming that someone will intercept.

If nobody does, he simply walks on in, heading into the yard to find a lander that can transport them to the Writhing Doom.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    I would know with whom I am working. He looks around the group.
    Heidric will bow slightly, still grinning 'Heidric Sollander. Which is a name I am absolutely confident none of you would have heard of even if you are inclined to do something about it. If you can't trust Astartes renegades who can you trust.'

He will follow at distance as he could hardly keep up with the Astartes. It should be easy enough to find the docks around here even for a smaller ship.

'There's really no hurry. Having a ship would obviously be useful, but I know where they're going.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Trade (Shipwright) to be aware of a less obvious way to get onboard the ship
    vs. Int 42
    (1d100)[1]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll pass on the brain, thanks," Sol said drily. He followed the Astartes towards the ship. Whatever this was, it promised to be by far the most interesting way of spending his time. "Do we have a description of his friend? Could ask around, see if anyone's spotted him."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Paline quickly stated "Paline...just Paline" in response to the question of her name. She fitted the hood of her cloak once more and began to mutter the incantations to ignite the braziers once more, whispering promises of flame and purging the wayward souls of the galaxy. She otherwise stuck to the background, preferring either the back or the middle between Astartes and Human, and did her damnedest to appear unrelated to the potential storming party. When they got near the walls proper she spoke up again, saying "Should probably link our beads. You know where we going?" She directed the question more to the Astartes, comfortable enough addressing those hulking individuals.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zahariel follows his fellow Astartes. A quick burst from his jump back catches up to the two of them. As they walk towards the yard, he looks back at the humans and gestures towards the Doom. There. That is the ship we seek. We should seek transport to it and have a word with its traitorous commander. There is vengeance to be had, and Kinslayer hungers. Almost unconsciously, he caresses the hilt of his sword.

Besides, once he is dead we have as good a claim to the ship as any. The name is perhaps a bit melodramatic for my taste, but we will need a vessel on our quest.

13. - Top - End - #43

Goblin

A grin peeled back behind Elisanth's helm as he listened to the mortals. They got such interesting ideas sometimes. A shame that they were so... fragile.

"I will take point when we reach the ship. I'm sure they will appreciate a... familiar face addressing them."

He tapped the flayed skin adorning his faceplate.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"We're not gonna find a way to do this that's not killing the only person who knows anything about this key?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

As the party strode towards the gatehouse, a small portico door to the side of the larger main gates cracked open, and a squad of men issued from within to meet them. There were ten, armed with lasguns and wearing looted flak armour. Their leader called out as Amon drew closer.

"Lord Tiberius welcomes you to his grand shipyard, cornerstone of his domain. It is his exquisite pleasure to demand the customary tribute rendered upon entry. What have you to offer?"

It was clearly a ritual greeting, not tailored to the individuals who presented themselves. Many of the soldiers kept sneaking glances at Elisanth, and the flayed skin stretched tight across his faceplate. For three Astartes, it would be no problem to put down this small group, but the larger bastions would no doubt present a more significant challenge.

Spoiler: Heidric
    Show
    Heidric could think of a good half dozen ways to get aboard a voidship. Apart from the more obvious landing bays, there would be waste removal ports and maintenance hatches. The vast gunports would technically be accessible, if they could open them, and there would probably be exterior plugs for docking corridors as well. Then there were... other ways. Voidships in general, and chaos voidships in particular, were ancient creaking things, filled to the brim with lightless hallways and unspeakable things that lurked in the dark. The decayed, unmaintained fringes of the lower hull and outer armour were often hellish catacombs, twisted, rotten, and airless, but with proper equipment they offered perhaps the stealthiest method of access.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2019-04-06 at 03:35 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #46

RangerGuy

Amon simply gestures over to the face that Elisanth wears on his faceplate as he approaches the squad.

"We are guests of the Captain of the Writhing Doom. I believe he has already paid tribute; a rare bottle of wine from Ixaniad."

He stops in front of them to allow them to determine if they accept that response.
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-04-06 at 10:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "We're not gonna find a way to do this that's not killing the only person who knows anything about this key?"
    'Agreed. Much easier to leave someone alive while you still need them.'

Heidric did wonder what the guard's lives were like that they were comfortable asking that of three Astartes. 'Excuse me, I'm new here. Might I ask who this Lord Tiberius person is? Perhaps he is a more dangerous man then that one.' He'll point to Elisanth. 'Or perhaps you gentleman deal with worse on a regular basis?'

18. - Top - End - #48

Goblin

Elisanth said nothing, but sketched another elaborate bow for the soldiers.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"Doom's got a new captain now," The leader said, with a pointed glance at Elisanth. "Are you new recruits? I thought the rest of his party had already returned. Let me vox up to the ship, find out if he's expecting you."

Heidric's comments drew a few nods. "Lord Tiberius is a favoured chosen of the Dark Prince. Worlds tremble at his approach, and all who behold his glorious visage are forced to their knees in supplication and awe." It's entirely possible he's exaggerating. These are, after all, Tiberius' men. "The tribute is customary, and must be levied from all. None yet have breached the shipyards without paying, though many have died in the attempt."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you want to convince him you're with the new captain, roll Decieve.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

'A Follower of the Dark Prince? Perhaps he and Elisanth would get along

Still smiling, Heidric will try and focus his will on the guard. 'Anyway, the Captain. That's why we're here. Where the Doom is going he thought thought it best to take on extra muscle.' He'll gesture towards the Astartes. 'The rest of us have been hired for what we know about where we're going. It's at short notice but he seemed most insistent that we should go with him.'

Spoiler: Old Jedi Mind Trick
    Show

Whispers of the Warp to get +10 to Deceive if this works. It's threshold 11 in Disciples, so Challenging? No gesture component as well.
    vs. Wp 46
    (1d100)[62]

Deceive vs. Fel 34 (+10 for a Fate point) (+10 if Whispers works)
    (1d100)[47]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe so. I think there are a few of the Emperor's Children amongst his personal guard."

The squad leader considered their argument for a moment. Heidric's attempts to focus the warp didn't seem to be working, but it looked like he might be swayed anways. Sol gave him a final nudge, suggesting that their new captain would be upset if they were late, and he nodded, stepping aside.

"I wouldn't want to cross that one. Very well. The Doom's assigned platform is the second from last, third row. Cause no trouble."

He stepped aside, motioning to someone behind him, and the vast gates creaked open just wide enough to allow them through. When the last had passed, the gates boomed shut behind them. They had the run of the spaceport, now.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #52

RangerGuy

Amon Ram nods to the guard as he permits them to pass. "Thank you for the directions. We will be sure not to be late."

He then proceeds to head to the indicated platform, hoping to find a lander still on the planet.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Paline stuck to the background when the guards came out, quiet as can be. Likewise she remained quiet when they talked, slipping by when the way was open for them to continue on. Over her bead she whispered "Don't like this one bit. It sounds like a trap to me. But since we got this far, did you people want to go with the story we're hunting for the Observatory on his behalf?"
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Interesting that the guards said he has Emperor's Children on his side. Few mortals can command such guards. The old Captain should have suspected something would happen. Perhaps this fight won't be so one-sided after all. Zahariel seems to relish that idea.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Paline stuck to the background when the guards came out, quiet as can be. Likewise she remained quiet when they talked, slipping by when the way was open for them to continue on. Over her bead she whispered "Don't like this one bit. It sounds like a trap to me. But since we got this far, did you people want to go with the story we're hunting for the Observatory on his behalf?"
    Heidric is a little disappointed that his trick didn't work. 'I wonder if the locals are organised enough that we would need to stick to the same story? In any case there are other ways onto the ship if we don't want to make too much noise.'

26. - Top - End - #56

Goblin

Elisanth licked his lips. "It will be... good to face my brothers again. I have learnt
    so much since I last saw them."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

The shipyard took up nearly the entirety of the asteroid on which it was built. The group threaded their way past large landing platforms, rusted shipping containers, and scurrying cadres of Dark Mechanicum acolytes. They turned where they had been told, and headed down the row of landing pads, away from the control structures and service bays at the near end of the yard. As they approached the platform assigned to the Writhing Doom, they could see that it was already empty, whatever shuttle had brought the captain's party down already departed.

They had passed several landers on the way in, and Heidric had spotted a handful of service tugs parked back by the refuelling station. None of those vehicles belonged to their target, but they were not without ways to secure conveyance if needed. All of the personal craft had been guarded, usually by hulking men in battle-scarred armour.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

28. - Top - End - #58

RangerGuy

Amon scowls inside his helmet. "Of course. We shall have to find another means of getting aboard the Writhing Doom.
    Can anyone pilot voidcraft, or must we kidnap a pilot as well?"

29. - Top - End - #59

Goblin

Elisanth chuckled. "Not I, my delightfully changeable friend. Though I'm sure that I could... convince a pilot to aid us, one way or another."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm no void pilot, but I can fly an aircraft. Flew plenty of missions with the First Legion before Johnson turned on us. He snorts. Zahariel stares into the distance for a moment, and his hand absently drifts to the sword. He snaps back and looks at the group.

Anyway. That was a long time ago. Find me a shuttle and I'll fly it.