The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Black Crusade 2E: The Argent Observatory (IC)

The fuel tank was half-full, the gauge ticking up slowly. Zahariel estimated it would be a minute or two before it was full, but they wouldn't need the tank full if they didn't want to come back. Heidric rushed over to the fuel pump and examined the controls. There wasn't much he could do to speed the pump from there, so he took his multi-tool and disabled the flow limiter. The pump rumbled, the sound of rushing fluid through the hose increasing. The gauge ticked up a little faster. In the distance, they could hear the rumble of engines, a column of vehicles heading for the depot.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

While waiting for the ship to be refueled Heidric will try and get a better look at the approaching vehicles. 'Perhaps we should have asked nicely. Anyway, much as it might be amusing to watch our Astartes friends deal with them, I would to hate to think that our new boat might get damaged already.' He will make certain that the Shark has no remaining weapons.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

"Then let us be away, my merry companions! The greater the wait, the sweeter the joy, and all the more vivid the pain."

4. - Top - End - #94

MindFlayer

Zahariel waits a few more moments to make sure he has enough fuel, then starts initiating liftoff. Sit down and tie yourselves down, mortals. Heidric, uncouple the fueling hose. Everyone, prepare for takeoff. He ignites the engine and the Shark soars towards the Writhing Doom.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Zahariel waits a few more moments to make sure he has enough fuel, then starts initiating liftoff. Sit down and tie yourselves down, mortals. Heidric, uncouple the fueling hose. Everyone, prepare for takeoff. He ignites the engine and the Shark soars towards the Writhing Doom.
    'That would probably be prudent.' Heidric will uncouple the fuel pump and angle it away from the shark before
    re-boarding the vessel.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Before they get too far away from the opportunity Paline rips off a handful of the robes (since the entire body would be too heavy for the weedy human to manhandle) from the adept they collectively murdered and wistfully said "Can't let all that fuel go to waste, can we?" She let the robes go and aimed her brazier at it and the pool of fuel left behind, incanting the words at the last possible moment, and letting loose a massive stream of flame with the intent of seeing this entire depot burn. She then ducked inside and held on as she began the incantations branded into her mind through years of training. Even if she didn't believe in the Emperor's light any longer the words still brought forth the flames eventually.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

Your understanding is appreciated.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

"I only met you people a half-hour ago," Sol muttered - but boarded the shuttle anyway as the smell of the burning dock followed him up the ramp.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Zahariel waited just long enough to be sure they would make their destination. When Heidric unclamped the hose and tossed it away, the pump continued running. High-grade prometheum sprayed from the end, fuel spreading along the ground and expanding outwards. The weaponless Shark lifted from the ground, Paline firing a parting shot of flame down from the ramp before boarding and smacking the control to raise the ramp. Hydraulics humming, the ramp sealed off the interior of the Shark. Just before it did, Paline caught a glimpse of flame as the fuel caught.

Below them, tanks and personnel carriers started pulling up to the depot. Guns raised on turrets, spitting lasfire and slugs at the departing assault boat. A burst of lasfire stiched burn marks across the rear armour, and Zahariel punched the thrusters, rocketing away from the depot. Behind them, the burning fuel reached the opening of the fuel hose. There was a moment of stillness as the flammable vapours inside the hose caught, burning back towards the sealed fuel tanks, and then Explosions ripped violently through the spaceport. Red-hot fragments of the main fuel tank scythed through the other tanks nearby, sending burning fuel spilling across the ground and touching off secondary explosions. The Shark rocked as shockwaves buffeted it, soldiers spilling from burning vehicles below. The nearest watchtower buckled and collapsed, falling into the inferno that used to be the spaceport's control building.

Turrets mounted on distant fortifications turned to track the Shark, showing up as red blips on Zahariel's instruments. Angry demands to return to the spaceport blared from the onboard vox, threats of grievous violence chasing them until, with a pop, the vox cut out.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    "I only met you people a half-hour ago," Sol muttered - but boarded the shuttle anyway as the smell of the burning dock followed him up the ramp.
    'At least you won't be bored.' Heidric will strap himself in near the front of the Shark to see if he can be of any assistance.

10. - Top - End - #100

RangerGuy

Amon Ram braces himself for the likely...interesting...flying that is in their near future, but otherwise doesn't say a word. Distracting the pilot right now would be unwise.

11. - Top - End - #101

Goblin

His sword gripped in one hand, Elisanth positioned himself at the front of the Shark, ready to be the first out once they reached their target. He winced as the Shark rocked. If they ever reached their target. He was certain that he could pilot this hulk better than the Angel.

12. - Top - End - #102

MindFlayer

I recommend you strap yourselves in tightly. I will be attempting evasive maneuvers to dodge incoming fire. Moments later, the ship banks sharply left, then right. It drops suddenly, before shooting forward. Throughout this, Zahariel keeps a tight grip on the controls, advancing steadily towards their objective.

This is quite enjoyable. I haven't flown like this in milennia. And never in a ship made for mortals. He sounds amused.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2019-04-24 at 10:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

"What, exactly, is our plan on reaching the ship?" Sol asked. He had a loose grip on the frame of the door but was otherwise quite comfortable with the violent maneuvers - despite his look, this was clearly a man who had travelled in such a way before. "Don't head straight there - find a place to hide, first. We can board later, after the heat has died down."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Paline stuck around a bit too long to watch the fire burn, whispering "such purity..." to herself as she eventually found her way to a seat and strapped in, continuing the long process of reigniting her gauntlets for the next opportunity.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

With the vehicle-mounted weaponry on the ground either out of range or on fire, the task of shooting down the fleeing shark was taken up by mounted turrets on the fortress walls. Zahariel jinked the shark as best he could, the vehicle far more cumbersome than an Astartes Thunderhawk. Tracer fire stitched past them, only a few shots actually connecting. The Shark rocked from a powerful stern hit, damage runes on the main console flashing yellow. There was still some distance to go before they were out of range of the mounted guns, and there was always a chance that some of the ships up there might be hostile as well...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

16. - Top - End - #106

"What, exactly, is our plan on reaching the ship?"
    Heidric winces a little as the autocannon fire connects, 'Normally I try asking nicely and people let me on their ship. If that doesn't work on this occasion perhaps we pretend that the former Captain told us something before he expired.' He'll try and get a look at the Doom. 'Waiting might mean that the ship leaves without us. Assuming we still aim to board it of course.'

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think they're going to give us the chance to ask nicely," Baudelaire said, as the ship was rocked by the impact. [COLOR="#800080"]"If they figure out we're trying to force a boarding... well, they'll have bigger guns than autocannons pointed at us."

He thought, hard. "Hector mutinies on the Writhing Doom, has his captain killed, heads off in search of the treasure. What would make him talk..."

"Hail the Doom. We can tell the we have information, but the captain is still alive and is trying to have us killed."

Grabbing the vox-horn for himself he began switching rapidly through frequencies. "Writhing Doom, Writhing Doom, this is Shark shuttle, callsign 44-sigma-2, leaving port under heavy fire. Requesting fire support and permission to board immediately, with - " a nearby detonation rocked the cabin and he had to grab the back of the chair to steady himself - "with information on the failed assassination of the captain." Another sharp swerve, and he nearly dropped the vox-horn. "We want to speak to Captain Hector about the key."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-04-29 at 02:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

The vox crackled, the Doom able to answer where the spaceport was not. It was probably a good thing that the explosions had knocked out their comms. Gave Hector no way to fact check with ground control.

"Shark shuttle, we hear you. Failed assassination, you say?" There was a pause, muffled voices in the background. When the vox returned, it was to a different voice entirely, deep and grating.

"I am Captain Hector. Identify yourself, shuttle occupants, and give me a good reason not to blow you out of the sky."

Zahariel aimed the shark towards the Writhing Doom, looping around a smaller shuttle belonging to another ship. Many of the berthed ships had lit their engines, moving like some ancient leviathans of the deep. Prows turned, some away from the spaceport, some towards it. Great bay doors slowly rumbled open, preparing to issue fighter craft into the void. Multiple contacts lit up across Zahariel's controls, as weapons powered up on a dozen different vessels.

Below them, the autocannons continued to fire. Shells exploded all around them, the shark shooting out from within a hail of fire, miraculously untouched this time around. The more powerful turrets on the starships would be a problem if anyone decided to shoot, but fortunately the larger ordinance would have a rough time targetting them.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #109

Goblin

Shaking his head in derision, Elisanth heads back towards the cockpit.

"Greetings, my dear fellow. I am named Elisanth Foras, of the Emperor's Children. I gather that you understand the magnitude of what you have just heard? I'm sure that you are a reasonable man, and that you won't do anything that you may... regret."

20. - Top - End - #110

"I don't think they're going to give us the chance to ask nicely,"
    Heidric shrugs, 'You'd be surprised.' Although the man clearly didn't need the warp's help to get his way.

When Elisanth intervenes on the vox he'll choke back a laugh.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Paline finishes her muttering and looks around, seeming to just now understand what was going on. She idly said "A great start to the day, no matter how this all plays out." Then, louder, she asked those in the cockpit "What if we offer to join them? We have plenty of proof of our...destructive capabilities" as she waved a gauntlet back the way they came.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

"That's my thinking," Sol muttered. "Use the information from the captain's body to buy our way onto the crew, for now at least."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

The captain's tone changed, slightly, when Elisanth identified himself. The name of the traitor legions carried a lot of weight.

"So, one of you is an Astartes?" He said. "Makes you good in a fight, at least. Buys you a few more moments. You'll still have to tell me why it's in my interests to let you on board."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #114

RangerGuy

"Three Astartes." The Thousand Son isn't great at bluffing, so he doesn't have much else to contribute to the negotiation.

25. - Top - End - #115

Heidric mutters, 'Alongside the reborn Horus himself of course.' Lets give them a reason to fear us when we can't do anything about it.

He will move closer to the vox. 'So our assistance and the pleasure of our company isn't enough? I wouldn't be so hasty to turn us away. I would think that anything that might help you get to the Observatory would be worth considering.'

'Then again perhaps we should talk about why your former colleage is trying to kill us. Were you there when he was at the library on Fenksworld? Did he tell you that the Inquisition raided the place. Do you really believe that he escaped them? Perhaps we should get together to talk about that.'

Spoiler
    Show
    On my phone so tell me if I need to roll anything.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

There was a pause.

"How d'you know about...? Never mind. Not over an unsecure channel." The vox crackled and stuttered, the Writhing Doom up ahead banking into a wide turn, engines firing away from the spaceport.

"You've bought yourself an audience. Land in the lower bay, towards the aft sensor towers." Muffled voices, as the captain turned away from the speaker grille to give orders, and something that sounded an awful lot like 'three bloody Astartes,' then the channel went dead. Zahariel spotted the bay they'd been instructed to land in as the Shark approached the larger vessel, a pair of weak landing lights blinking red amidst the decayed superstructure.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

27. - Top - End - #117

RangerGuy

Amon Ram frowns at the decaying voidship. "Hardly the chariot appropriate to herald us to glory..."

He checks to make sure the vox is off before asking, "Very well. What is the plan? Get close to him and kill him, or are we going to continue this charade on board?"

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Amon Ram frowns at the decaying voidship. "Hardly the chariot appropriate to herald us to glory..."

He checks to make sure the vox is off before asking, "Very well. What is the plan? Get close to him and kill him, or are we going to continue this charade on board?"
    Heidric gestures at the Astartes, 'I think that's up to you three. I am mostly interested in not being forced out of the Doom's airlock. Everything else is details.'

29. - Top - End - #119

Goblin

"Let us continue the charade for a while longer. We shall see how far the lie takes us, hmmm?"

30. - Top - End - #120

MindFlayer

Zahariel brings the ship in to land,
    then squeezes back out of the undersized cockpit. He looks around the group.

Once we start killing people, it's hard to go back. So we should probably start politely. Although I imagine they will check with the docks at some point and discover our deception, so we should be prepared to start the slaughter at any time.