New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default MitD XIII: Learning is happening

WARNING: This Thread WILL contain spoilers.
    Smallprint: If you are unwilling to hear what MitD might be, or segments from the published books (specially SoD) then this is not a thread for you.
    Everyone else: don't bother spoilering or hiding that stuff in this thread. It is what we are here for

ATTENTION: Newcomers, please read:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This thread has, over the last 500+ pages, accumulated a lot of knowledge about MitD. However, you don't need to read the whole thread (and the previous ones) to get up to speed. So long as you are reasonably familiar with these first five posts, you can jump right in, with no need to read more than the last few pages. On the other hand, please don't be surprised if your insight has been proposed before.

• For relevant MitD canon and in-depth analysis of central MitD scenes, check section 1
    • For specific characteristics of MitD, check section 2
    • To see all suggestions so far (and particularly, if your idea has been mentioned before), check section 3
    • Thread rules and FAQ, check section 4

If you want to propose a new creature, consider using the following question template:
    1) How did [insert suggestion here] punch Miko and her horse through a wall?
    2) Why didn't Miko or Belkar's weapons hurt [insert suggestion here]?
    3) Why wouldn't a wizard recognize [insert suggestion here]?
    4) Why would humans become nauseous at seeing [insert suggestion here]?
    5) How did [insert suggestion here] teleport V and O-Chul to the beach with Hinjo?

Section 1: General Information
    Section 1a: Directly from Rich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich's Words on MitD
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've been imagining the scene for MITD's eventual reveal for like nine years now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in War and XPs c.368
    So, just so everyone is clear: I know exactly what the Monster in the Darkness is. I have (almost) always known. Its first two or three appearances were before I had worked out much of the plot's details, so at that point, I just figured it was a mystery I would never answer. Once I started developing the real story that I was telling, around strip #100, I figured out what the monster really was and have been dropping hints ever since. (Note that nothing from before strip #100 actually contradicts the truth of what it is, either.) [...]I now know exactly when and why the monster will reveal itself, too ... don't expect it any time soon, though. Sorry. There's a lot of story left, and that little tidbit will need to wait to close to the end.
    I will say this much: It is possible to guess.
    That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story. It wouldn't be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be something I invented just for one purpose, would it? I won't finally throw back the darkness and have someone say, "Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!" or some other made-up monster.
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in Don't Split the Party
    [O-Chul] breaks himself out of the cage, he drives off Redcloak with a lucky shot, and most importantly, he has won the trust of the monster in the darkness over the course of months. So much so that the monster digs deep and discovers powers that he didn't even know he had in order to save him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in War and XPs (PDF, R4-B) - After the War: Looking Back from 2016
    A lot of people have asked me whether there is any actual answer to the mystery of the Monster in the Darkness that could possibly satisfy after so many years of wondering and guessing and weighing characteristics against existing monsters and otherwise just generally thinking about it.
    The answer to that question is yes. Yes, there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in War and XPs
    I was able explore the idea that the monster itself isn’t really aware of all of its capabilities. In #374, it tries to tap Miko lightly, but fails.
    Notes:
    • Strip 100 came out Sep 2, 2004, so no creature first published after that time can be considered.
    • "It is possible to guess." Any number of people have jumped to the conclusion that it means that MitD must be a famous or iconic creature. The phrase warrants no such conclusion. Instead, all it says is that MitD exists listed somewhere outside OotS - nothing more and nothing less. As such, the iconic status of an idea, or lack thereof, is of no weight whatsoever when considering its fitness as MitD's species.
    • "someone will figure it out": related to the above, it specifies that what Rich means by "guess" is not "throwing darts while blindfolded" type of guess, but a rational, follow the clues to a conclusion process. "A potted plant that was eaten and spat out by the Snarl, giving it eyes, a horrible appearance, great strength and the ability to teleport, and look, it can be guessed- I just did!" might fit the first meaning, but not the second.

Rich's Words on Fidelity to D&D Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich, news item 1/12/2012
    I barely even reference the 3.5 rules anymore, using them just to determine what sort of spells or class abilities a character might have and then ignoring them the rest of the time.
    Notes:
    • Rich has made mistakes with the powers a character can have (Tsukiko's extra school), but has admitted they are mistakes. The fact he admits it is one, in addition to this quote, indicates that Rich does not routinely give characters powers they wouldn't normally have. In addition, MitD's guessing game would require him to be more careful, not less, about what abilities and powers it displays, such as immunity to mind control.

Published Canon
    Spoiler
    Show

Stereotyped Big Game Hunters, when they capture MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SBGH, SoD
    Monocle: "My gods, is it talking? In Common, no less!"
    Jenkins: "Unbelievable!"
    Monocle: "Well, that will surely fetch a fine price."
    Jenkins: "Indeed!"
    Monocle: "I tell you, Jenkins, I never expected to see one of these in this part of the world."
    Jenkins: "Quite!"
    Monocle: "One-in-a-lifetime catch, Jenkins[...]"
    Circus, when the public looks upon MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Circus Public, SoD
    Human male: "Oh my gods..."
    Human Male: "It's horrible!"
    Human Female: "And yet... beautiful!"
    Human Female Child: "Mommy, I feel funny looking at it"
    Human Male: "Blerrch!" (throwing up)
    Human Male in wizard's clothing: "I've never seen anything like it!"
    Goblin Female Child: "Wooooooo!"
    Goblin Male Child: "YEAH!"
    Rest of the public:
    3 Human Males, 2 Human Females and 1 Halfling Male look:
    1 Human Male has "queasy" mouth, as if about to throw up
    1 Human Male has closed his eyes and is attempting to cover them with his hands
    2 Goblin Males (RightEye and his oldest son) are unimpressed
    RedCloak, admitting he knows what MitD is:
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCloak, SoD, pg. 88
    I know what you are. You could kill them all if you wanted.
    Xykon's first look at MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon, SoD
    "My you're one ugly sonofabitch, aren't you?"
    Xykon's wording of the mind-controlling spell on MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon, SoD
    "And if Redcloak ever betrays me, you will devour him whole and spit out that gold amulet he wears."
    Nature of the darkness around MitD:
    Quote Originally Posted by NCftPB, pg. 194a
    Xykon: Did you see him yet?
    RedCloak: He's permanently shrouded in magical darkness. How exactly was I supposed to "see him yet"?

Section 1b: The Circus Scene
    Spoiler
    Show
    The circus scene is, as befits the most MitD-centric moment in the comic, full of clues:
    • The public's reactions: note they are not fear, but disgust. Vomiting, queasy faces and exclamations of ugliness do not match reactions of people scared (that would be brown pants, yellow pools under the stands, and attempts to run away).
    • MitD's Actions: none. it is quite explicitly told he is doing nothing. Activated abilities thus are unlikely to explain this scene
    • Recognition: The show depends on MitD not being recognisable (billed as such), and this aspect reinforced with the guy in robes saying he's never seen anything like MitD before.

Section 1c: The Escape
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Link to the scene
    • It can't be dimension door or blink because those spells have pityable ranges.
    • Teleport and Greater Teleport in the standard rules require the caster to go along with the other subjects of the spell. We have seen teleport work this way in OOTS here and here, and also here we get to see two teleports work this way. In fact there, there are two casters, presumably one divine (raise dead) and one arcane (teleport). Then Soul Spliced V casts (presumably) Teleport and travels along too (though we don't actually see the spell cast, just the resultant "pop"). Finally when we see Epic Teleport, even then the caster (and his spliced spirits) go along for the ride. So although it doesn't absolutely prove that Rich insists the caster always goes along when they Teleport, it really seems to suggest that is the way it works in OOTS, which is the standard D&D rules. Teleport also requires the caster to know the destination, although when that is not the case, a lucky (i.e. plot-induced) roll in the missed teleportation table could have delivered V & O'Chul to the right place anyway.
      • It has been suggested that a dimensional anchor/lock cast on MitD's box would prevent him from teleporting, but not from casting it. There is no evidence that such spell has been cast on the box, since the visual effect is a green aura and coloring that is not present on either, but MitD himself may have been hit by the stray (Quickened) Dimensional Anchor cast by V during the preceding battle.
      • In the Scruf and Tumble short story (in GDGU), the carbuncle befriended by Mr. Scruffy teleported (likely with a SU-type Dimension Door) him without going along, suggesting that at least Dimension Door in OotS doesn't require the caster to go along
      • Alternatively, the Forbiddance spell provides a similar effect to that of dimension lock without the visual component, but would require it to be awkwardly placed to only cover MitD's box, since it doesn't hurt V - this would be a very strange use of a spell designed to cover a whole area from teleport. The chance of MitD remembering the password are slight, too, which would mean he'd be damaged every time he entered the box.
      • Standard teleporting rules do require the caster to touch any other travelers, but the rule is not observed in OotS (see any of the prior examples)
      • MitD could have the ability to grant Greater Teleport or its equivalent to its target, rather than cast it himself, thus leading to V or O-Chul casting it to get them out of there (although O-Chul wouldn't know where to take them anymore than MitD would, and it seems unlikely MitD would target V with that ability)
    • Standard 3.5 edition D&D rules say Plane Shift can be cast so that the caster does not travel along for the ride. However it also says you MUST go to another plane, not another place on the same plane and that "precise accuracy as to a particular arrival point on the intended plane is nigh impossible". Also that "creatures must find their own way back". O-Chul and V make no mention of "getting back" and have no apparent means to plane shift. Note that in most occasions plane shift has been depicted with a kind of "window" opening, but not always.
      • It has been suggested that MitD could have plane-shifted them to a good plane (e.g. Souther Gods' domain), and then where teleported back by an agent of good.
    • Wish and the psionic ability "reality revision" are stated as being able to "Transport Travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions".
    • Miracle can "Move you and your allies along with your and thier gear from one plane to another through planar barriers to a specific locale with no chance of error".
    • Limited Wish doesn't say anything about travelling or transportation explicitly.
    • The Epic Spell "Dreamscape" could be interpreted as providing the "Escape" capabilitiy, (see Dream Larva)
    • Psionics has equivalent teleportation abilities to all of the above. DaggerPen compiled a fairly complete list here.
    • Creatures who have the ability might have captured Ganonron after he was expelled from V, and forced him to cast the teleport (other than being theoretically possible, no monster has been found capable of doing so other than the Parshendi that came out in 2014, and there is no evidence that this scenario took place)
    • Selecting the Destination: Wish and Miracle have no issues with the destination of the escape. Teleport and Greater Teleport, on the other hand, do not easily explain how MitD was able to send them to a place he does not know about (teleport can only target places, not individuals). Possibilities:
      • MitD also used some form of Trace Teleport to send them to where V came from
      • MitD "rolled" on the Mishap table due to False destination, and got 'Similar Area', which placed them in the right place

Section 1d: The Tower Scene
    Spoiler
    Show

Link to the scene
    It is likely that Rich bent the rules of D&D to show the point about MitD being both amazingly strong and a credible threat to the OotS. Nevertheless, Nerdanel has done an analysis of the feats and strength necessary for the scene to work in accordance to the rules. Find the relevant posts here, here and here.

Section 1e: MitD's Alignment
    Spoiler
    Show
    The best that can be said about MitD's species' alignment is that it is unlikely to be Good, since RedCloak would not have recruited a Good creature to protect the goblin village given his rather dim views on the Good alignment.

This, however, is a very weak argument, since it can be argued that MitD was not, at the time, Good. Also, consider that MitD's alignment and his species' need not match. As such, knowing MitD's actual alignment brings us no closer to knowing his species' alignment and, thus, for the purposes of this thread, this is a barren path of inquiry.

The only exception to this is alignment when applied to morality plane denizens (i.e. angels, demons, etc.). Rich commented on this topic in DStP:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant, Round 4 Commentary
    It's important to note that this doesn't necessarily make Celia right in her views. Heck, they're not even all that consistent, considering she has been known to fly off the handle and zap people from time to time. Because, see, Celia isn't a deva or an angel; she's not an embodiment of Law or Good. She can mistakes and screw up, and she can fail to live up to her own ideals, as she does later when she finds herself cheering while Haley shoots people. She wants to be a pacifist, but she can get caught up in the excitement of battle the same as anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant, Round 7 Commentary
    The entire point of their organization is to blur the lines between the the three fiendish races (demon, daemon, devil) and depict cooperation where normally one would expect backbiting and betrayal. So here, we have a slightly less neutral daemon, a slightly more chaotic devil, and a slightly more lawful demon (one who went to college with devils, even).
    From the above, we know that angels and demons (unlike other outsiders) are embodiments of their own morality planes. Yes, they can change their alignment, but only slightly, and when doing so it serves the purposes of their other alignment. And even then, it is a very rare and line-pushing experiment. The embodiments of the morality planes are as follows:

Lawful Evil: Baatezu/Devils Lawful Neutral: Formians, Inevitables, Modrons Lawful Good: Archons
    Neutral Evil: Yugoloths/Daemons True Neutral: Rilmani Neutral Good: Guardinals
    Chaotic Evil: Tanar'ri/Demons Chaotic Neutral: Slaadi Chaotic Good: Eladrin

Since MitD has performed both good and evil acts, it is very unlikely he is an embodiment of either Good or Evil.

Section 1f: MitD's Scores
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has proven almost impossible to nail down what MitD's scores might be. The general agreement is that his strength must be past 30, his INT must be high (to account for his ability to learn quickly), his Wisdom be low (to account with his innocence and bad judgement) and his Charisma high (to account for the "beautiful" comment).

However, it is equally likely that he will be a near-epic creature, and as such his scores are going to be all-around high (by human standards).

Section 1g: (Not) Seeing the Gates
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD's inability to "see" the gates is felt by several participants to be a "clue" about MitD (rather than the alternative possibility, Rule of Funny). However, no explanation that ties MitD's species to the gates has been forthcoming, except when contemplating the idea of MitD being part of the Snarl.

Alternatively, it has been proposed that since the demiplane in which the Snarl is trapped is designed to null divine magic, and it is third-handedly established in SoD that the gods have difficulty in detecting the rifts, there might be some connection between MitD and the gods that makes him, too, unaware of the rift. Note, however, that MitD has an issue seeing the definitely-not-Snarl-related gate that Xykon installed to stop his zombies from walking into and being destroyed by the rift, so this connection is quite far-fetched.

Finally, it must be pointed out that MitD doesn't have a problem actually seeing the physical object that is the gate. Instead, his words seem to suggest that he doesn't know it is one. It has been suggested this might be because he thinks the only definition of "gate" is the portal that opens when the spell gate is cast. If he has been told that is a gate (and he probably had seen the spell before, when he previously saw the Astral Plane), he would be confused as to why he can't see one near the massive wooden thing Xykon and RC keep pointing at.

Section 1h: Recognising MitD (in-comic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    There have been two alternative explanations for the Hunter's + Circus scene and the differing reactions to MitD when looked at.

On one hand, the Hunter's scene can be seen as a lampshade hanging of MitD's ability to talk, i.e. an express admission of Rich that he shouldn't, just to get it over with and ignored thereafter. The hunters see a creature that is rare, powerful, strangely non-threatening and decide to sell it. They mention it talks, and from then on Rich need not keep pointing out this fact. The circus scene builds on this, letting us know MitD is revolting to look at (or smelled, or some other passive characteristic).

On the other hand, MitD could be a shifter. The Hunters may have seen a creature that couldn't talk, because MitD was adopting the shape of one, and was sold under the guise of one such creature. The circus crowd would likewise see either a revolting creature, or one that is shifting uncontrollably, such that the change is both revolting and, for some, beautiful (like a kaleidoscope). RC would recognise MitD for what he is, a creature that both shifts and can talk, explaining why he is not surprised by this last fact. Note that while this works on paper as an explanation, no creature that fits it has ever been proposed.

Section 1i: Recognising MitD (by readers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some people have argued that the MitD must be easily recognized because they feel it would detract from the eventual reveal if the readers cannot immediately identify its species (usually, this is countered by the argument that the reveal will likely be a dramatic moment for MitD which, while it might require a specific ability, will not be centered upon MitD's species, but his growth as a character).

Other people have argued that the MitD cannot be easily-recognized because it seems unlikely that Rich would select something easily guessable when part of the purpose of MitD was to provide a challenge to what, at the time, was a very D&D-centric readership. Faced with such an audience, Rich, they argue, would likely go for a challenging creature that would keep them (us) guessing for years to come.

Finally, some more people think that the fame of the creature is irrelevant, because nothing in Rich's words suggest that he must be famous or must be obscure and thus, unless he chooses to clarify, it is not a demonstrable characteristic upon which to build a hypothesis.

Section 1j: Suspicion of MitD's involvement in the escape
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why wasn't MitD suspected for the escape beyond the demon roaches? RC, the resident know-it-all and most likely to connect the dots was not present for the escape - he used Word of Recall and only returned once the action was over. We also do not know how much Xykon knows about MitD. We only have MitD's word that Xykon knows what he is, and even then, given Xykon's attitude towards book knowledge, he probably only knows MitD's species name and the fact that he is strong, and thus powerful (power is all Xykon cares about). If so, Xykon would not know MitD can teleport, and likely thinks him too incompetent (and too asleep) to be responsible. All in all, the scene seems carefully orchestrated so that MitD could save O-Chul and V without giving himself away.

Section 1k: The meaning of Fine Line
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a wide variety of reasons, a number of participants feel that the "fine line" comment is meant to be a clue about MitD's authorship:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one
    The reasoning goes that the phrase itself is unnecesary, the general understanding of it (i.e. Rich didn't create MitD) is addressed well enough in the context, and thus the retreading of the point actually hints to something not quite so clear cut - usually interpreted that Rich did have a hand in MitD's creation (because he helped craft the manual it is in, for example) or because he created it, but not for OotS.

On a strictly logical way, it is true that the sentence is somewhat redundant in context. However, it is also Rich's way of admitting that, to most of his readers, his assurance that he personally didn't create MitD is a cop-out since when MitD is revealed, he might as well have - the line he intends to draw between fantasy monsters created by him and others is fine indeed.

As a practical matter, even if the above interpretation is correct, and it is a subtle hint that Rich did in fact create MitD is some indirect way, it has never as a theory born fruit. To date no creatures have been brought forth with "partially authored by Rich" as a point in their favour.

Section 1l: MitD's Hand in #555?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, what we see in Panel 1 in strip 555 is not MitD's hand, but the bucket's handle

Version History
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 12:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

Section 2: MitD
    Section 2a: Physical Characteristics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    MitD's first appearance in SoD happens "29 years ago" (SoD pg. 49). This is measured back from comic 1, so MitD is at least 30 years old.

From his keeper's comments about how long he has been fed stew every day, we know MitD spent more than five years in the circus.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD's appearance is both disgusting and beautiful, to judge from the reactions of the circus crowd (see 1a SoD Canon). It is ugly enough to provoke vomiting in the stands, but still cause someone to exclaim "And yet... beautiful".
    Oona the Beastmaster compares him to a creature out of a spicy meat-induced nightmare, although she also calls him magnificent.

It has been suggested it could be because in 1st edition, an evil creature with CHA -1 had the same CHAR bonus as a good one with CHA 24

Body
    Spoiler
    Show
    RedCloak suggests that he could use MitD as material to create undead, which suggests he has a physical body (e.g. not a fire elemental)
    MitD's ability to laugh indicates he has lungs

Diet
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD is almost constantly hungry, thus probably indicating a species that requires food (but it isn't stated).
    Take into account:
    • He is not at all picky about his food, having been shown to eat almost anything ("His palate can't be that refined", dibs on a moldy cheeseburguer in sock drawer).
    • He has preference for stew (See SoD, and here).
    • He feels weird to eat babies (including veal), but not adults.
    • He has eaten scrabble tiles, and apparently didn't find them to his taste (but he was expecting donuts)

Show
    MitD self-identifies as male, forming clubs that don't allow girls. Also, O'Chul calls him "a good man"

Head
    Spoiler
    Show

• Eyes: MitD has two yellow eyes, next to each other. They are consistently drawn as larger than those of medium-sized creatures, closer to that of ogres (while still being more or less at medium-sized height, but he might be crouched under the umbrella)
    • Face: RC makes reference to stabbing him in the face (War and XPs, page 415a)
    • Mouth: MitD presumably has a mouth, since he has a tongue and teeth (that leave toothmarks in a taco in SoD). It must be rather large, since Xykon instructs him to "devour [RedCloak] whole"
    • Olfactory organ: smells by sniffing while holding the bag close to below his two eyes (but could be his mouth, rather than a nose)
    • Teeth: munches its food. And its voice is deformed while speaking with its mouth full

Limbs
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has got stomping ability while holding an umbrella. No specific limbs are identified (feet/paws/tail?), but the use of the verb stomp requires physical limbs, whatever they are. The limbs are also dextrous enough to hold crayons (War and XPs page 415a) and draw (lack of quality may indicate clumsy apendages, or lack of maturity).

Since he was able to both step on and pull on the rope at the same time, he must have or be able to produce at least two limbs, one of which must be prehensile.

He is capable of holding a bucket of paint and a brush on opposite sides of his face, suggesting he probably has two symmetrical prehensile appendages.

In the Earthquake scene, the stomp suggests he is either bipedal and crouched over, or quadrupedal.

Finally, what is visible in Panel 1 of strip 555 is not a limb, but the bucket's handle.

Maturity
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has consistently acted in very immature fashion, which could be his personality, or it could indicate he is a child of his species.
    Take into account:
    • Oona the Beastmaster believes he will grow bigger
    • He is over 30 years old (see Age)
    • He hasn't changed all that much in size or personality since his earliest appearance
    • Many creatures (including demons and angels) have a really hard time fitting as MitD because of his child-like behaviour.
    • Rich is unlikely to have him be too young - he dislikes the idea of creatures with the personality of a 4 year old having an alignment. MitD acts more like a 12 year old.

Personal Odor
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has frequently apologized for his personal odor. This could explain the reaction in the circus, although it would need to address the reason why the odor doesn't affect the public until after he is lighted up.
    • It has been suggested that MitD's personal smell could be a hint towards the Stench ability

Size
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since his first appearance, MitD has fit in a box this size, and under this umbrella. This makes him human-sized or large. He is also shorter than Oona, who is Medium sized.
    Take into account:
    • Rich has been known to mess around with sizes of creatures in the comic (Inexplicably large faeries), but to this date he has only made small creatures larger, never larger ones smaller than they should be.
    • MitD could be a young member of his race (see Maturity)
    • Oona the Beastmaster believes he will grow bigger
    • He's probably taller than a kobold:
      Quote Originally Posted by War and XPs c.368
      Mitd: "I know! Maybe I'm a kobold!"
      BlueCloak: "You're pretty tall for a kobold"
      MitD: "Maybe I'm two kobolds?"
    • If you do not object to using templates (see 3a: Templated Creature), the Dungeonbred template can be used to reduce his size by one category, theoretically allowing for huge creatures (but does carry the disadvantages of templates)

Sleep
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD has been shown sleeping in various occasions (in SoD, and after O'chul's and V's teleportation), and has admitted to becoming sleepy, so it is reasonable to assume he requires sleep (but it isn't stated).

Weight
    Spoiler
    Show
    RC was able to lift both MitD and his box onto a cart. This is almost certainly an exaggeration of RC's lifting ability for the purposes of moving the plot forwards, but a detailed examination of the issue was attempted starting here. The conclusion reached is that if Rich wasn't bending the rules, and if the box was made of a light wood (such as pine), and RC was using a spell to boost his strength [Divine Power gives +6], and he has average or slightly above average strength for a goblin (he is unlikely to have more than that, since he is a pure caster), MitD's weight should be that of a medium creature, tops. (See my numbers here)

Section 2b: Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD attempts to "hit as lightly as possible" and still sends both Miko and her horse flying through a wall, off a tower and long distance (the tower in nowhere to be seen, the mountains are far away).
    Take into account:
    • If proposing a "child" or "runt" of a species known for great strength, the dissonance between his undeveloped personality and adult strength needs to be addressed.
    • See here a post examining possible ways the punch could have happened by the rules.

Defences
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD did not notice 5 attacks from Belkar and feels tickles when attacked by Miko.
    Take into account:
    • It could indicate piercing/slashing resistance, DR, high AC, high HP or a combination thereof.
    • He got a paper cut from trying to eat a letter, indicating he can hurt himself (e.g. overcoming epic resistance, if he himself is epic, or indicating a natural armour that doesn't protect his insides), or Rule of Funny
    • Miko believes he has DR
    • RC knows he cannot possibly injure MitD by stabbing him in the face (see War and XPs, page 415a)

Earth Cracking
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD cracks the earth by stomping on it.
    Suggestions:
    • Consequence of his great strength: sending horses flying through walls and for kilometers take about as much strength as causing the Earth to crack.
    • Earthquake ability: like that of an Earth Elemental, or some other specific spell-like ability in that sense such as Wreck Earth

Knowledge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even though MitD displays lack of maturity (see 2a: Maturity), he has displayed flashes of brilliance:
    • O'Chul's comment he learnt Go! quickly
    • His ability to tell that a ritual was only the second half of a whole
    • His right-on-the-money Political Analysis
    • He admits he doesn't actually try to think, and that he lets Xykon and RedCloak think for him
    • If MitD is psionic, it can be explained by hypercognition

O'Chul's Escape
    Spoiler
    Show
    We know from Rich's words (see section 1a) that MitD was responsible for O'Chul's and V's escape.
    Suggestions:
    • Teleportation Spell: in D&D, teleportation requires the spell caster to travel with the targets, and more often than not to be touching the other targets.
    • Wish: Very few creatures can cast wish, but would explain the situation well. In its favour, MitD is surprised when his wishes don't come true (but that could be his child personality).
    • Plane shifting: Many creatures have this spell, but has most of the disadvantages of teleportation, plus O'Chul's and V's escape does not match the effect of plane shift (in that they ended up in the same plane)
    • See also Section 1b for an in-depth analysis of teleportation options in D&D

Take into account:
    • MitD may have been hit by V's missed dimension anchor, explaining why he didn't go along if it was a teleportation effect.
    • Plane Shift, in particular, doesn't necessarily affect the caster (it has succesfully been used offensively in OotS)
    • It has been pointed out that if it were a spell, MitD would have had to say its name out loud, which typically a spell requires (but not an extraordinary, spell-like ability or supernatural ability, nor a psionic power). On the other hand, not all spells have been said out loud in-comic (example: Xykon's mental suggestion in SoD, Redcloak passing his Trial Of Becoming A Hobgoblin with a silent Slay Living), so it doesn't discard a spell either.
    • Other systems have spells or abilities named "Escape"

Psionics
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been suggested that MitD may have psionic abilities since we never see his limbs holding up objects, and as an avenue to explain his other powers. If he only starts to actively use psionics at the time of escape ("unshackling" his mind due to the stress of the situation), it would also tie with Rich's comment about discovering powers deep inside himself (see Section 1a - Rich's Words). Also, it would explain why he tends to be tired after using his powers.
    Take into account:
    • Most psionics featured in the comic (goblin mind reader, the story of the little psion that could and a guest appearance in SSaDT), had a purplish aura around their entire heads. However, Laurin has a yellow aura. In both cases, though, the aura surrounds the entire head, where MitD, at best, illuminates his eyes briefly.
    • During the Go game, his turn starts and end, and yet we don't see him place a counter. Rich may have skipped the dialogue where MitD told O'Chul were to place his counter just to reduce the wordiness of that page, though. There is also no psionic effect line like the ones radiating from Laurin
    • MitD is unaware of most of his powers, which doesn't suggest his mind is making them happen (so it would only explain the escape, if at all).
    • RedCloak, who knows what MitD is, had to research if psionics existed in OotS-verse. If MitD is psionic, why was it so difficult to know? (it has been suggested he may have templated psionic ability, and as such his psionics not be part of his species). On the other hand, creatures can be psionic or not depending on the setting. RC could have known about the mind flayer in Dorukan's Dungeon, and still not know if psionic powers did exist.
      • If MitD wasn't actively psionic until the escape, it would also constitute an explanation: RC tested him for psionic powers and, finding none, couldn't decide if psionics existed or not.
    • The lack of visible limbs is likely a combination of the minimalistic drawing style of the comic and Rich's desire to not show us what MitD is.
    • MitD had to tip the circus cage to get to the bucket of stew; presumably a psionic creature could simply levitate the bucket (but MitD may be unaware of his abilities)
    • The fact that no hand is seen holding the umbrella is a style issue where the hand is behind the object, rather than around it. Belkar holds his daggers in the same way

Rain
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been suggested that MitD could have (inadvertently) caused rain to help O'Chul rest

Raising undead
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD probably does not have the ability to raise undead, but might be used as raw material. At the very least, he does not have 5 levels of cleric, although it has been pointed out he may have the capability but due to his innocence/incompetence he has never used it, leading RC to believe he cannot without gaining cleric levels first. That said, RC would probably have checked MitD's MM entry, and be aware of all its powers, regardless of which one MitD uses.

Sight
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD's sight is keen enough to be able to recognise Xykon on top of a dragon a catapult-max-range away, without the benefit of a telescope, but does nto see him until he becomes visible, indicating he does not have natural See Invisible ability

Speech
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surpised MitD could speak, and in common (see 1b SoD Cannon)
    • This is usually interpreted as a lampshade: his species can't or won't talk, but Rich changed it for plot purposes.
    • Alternatively, MitD's species could have been confused with a similar species, which while rare and valuable, is not capable of speech.
    • Note that the wording could indicate both species incapable of speech, and species that normally wouldn't talk (like Zodars).

It has been pointed out that MitD's speech bubbles are black text on white background, unlike demons, who tend to have red-on-black and undead, who tend to have white-on-black. However, there is one demon who has a normal voice, Sabine, so it is probably not a good indicator of species. Rich has confirmed that voice "colour" can mislead.

Shout
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD can shout loud enough that it gives Belkar pause. This may or may not be an actual shout attack, although neither Belkar nor Haley were damaged, but they may have been Shaken, as in Frightful Presence.

Summoning Demon Roaches
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD was not responsible for the Demon Roaches following team evil - as per SoD, they first attached to Xykon and RC in an evil dinner where Xykon used to get his coffee (in his pre-Lich days). MitD may have attracted more of them, but not the original group. As such, it is unlikely that their presence indicates anything about MitD. That said, the Demon Roaches are 4th-wall breaking rule of funny most of the time, regardless of their origin.

Swallow Whole?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In SoD, Xykon orders a mind controlled MitD to devour whole RC if RC double-crosses Xykon. This might indicate that MitD has a swallow whole ability.
    Take in account:
    • Xykon uses the word devour, not swallow, which allows MitD to chew.
    • Xykon had only just met MitD, and since he isn't interested in reading, he probably would not know what MitD is precisely. Nevertheless, something about MitD (probably a big mouth or similar) suggested to Xykon that MitD would be able to carry out the order.

Section 2c: Other Characteristics
    Spoiler
    Show

Categories
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD cannot belong to any of the following without being an exception to the listed characteristic:
    • Not a deity (vulnerable to mind-affecting effects)
    • Not Construct (eats, and desires to eat; sleeps)
    • Not Elemental (eats, and desires to eat; sleeps)
    • Not Ooze (has a body)
    • Not Plant (vulnerable to mind-affecting effects)
    • Not Undead (eats, sleeps, etc)
    • Not Vermin (vulnerable to mind-affecting effects)

Several people have remarked that Oona's knowledge of MitD makes it unlikely he is an Outsider - but Oona may have better-than-average knowledge skills from her extended familiarity with Kraagor's Tomb.

Challenge Rating
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Rich intends the MitD to be a credible challenge for the heroes - the watchtower scene was included for that reason, as explained by Rich. Since Rich likely has a target level the party will achieve by the time they face MitD, MitD must have a CR at or above this level. As a rule of thumb, CR18 or higher is preferred, Epic levels being better.
    • See also lothos' analysis of MitD's CR

Connection to the Astral Plane
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD seems to know the Astral Plane's characteristics.
    Considerations:
    • He doesn't remember having been there
    • Xykon is surprised at this
    • It could be just a successful knowledge roll, or that he was taken there at some point in the past
    • In the past, it displayed extreme ignorance of the planes

Darkness
    Spoiler
    Show
    As per NCftPB (see section 1a - Published Canon), the darkness that surrounds MitD is magical in its nature. Xykon's instructions imply that they are independent of MitD, since he can step or leap out of them (i.e. leave them behind).
    Note that D&D rules for line of sight allow for creatures at the edge of magical darkness to see out of it, while remaining concealed.

Drawing Clues
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even though MitD is always in darkness, it has been suggested that by carefully noting the placement of his eyes, and of anything he manipulates, his general shape can be deduced. The general consensus is that he is either walking crouched or has four legs on the floor (from the placing of the stomp), and that he has a long reach (as when pulling on the rope: 9th panel). Take into account that this is debatable, and that MitD has not necesarily been drawn consistently

Since he can turn his eyes around (panel 11) without turning his entire body, it is possible that MitD has a neck or similar (such as eyestalks) that can move independently of the rest of the body.

Also, it has been brought up multiple times that the go board is a cryptoclue about MitD. Unfortunately, there is no agreement on what image they show, with people having identified it as Tarrasque, PvP's Skull, a demon, or an 8-bit sprite from some NES game (also, one jokingly suggested it looked like Pepe le Pew due to the color scheme). It is likely a case of pareidolia

Environment
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stereotyped Big Game Hunters were surprised to find him deep in a rainforest. This discards rainforest as his environment, but leaves everything else open.

Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD remembers his dad "sort of" as BIG and even a bigger eater than he is.
    Considerations:
    • MitD could have been "adopted" (or even created) by a member of another species completely, just as he is in the wrong environment. If this adoptive parent is of a different alignment from MitD's base species, it could explain MitD's conflict between good and evil.
    • MitD is still young and will eventually be as big as he remembers his father to have been
    • MitD might have a warped mental image of his father, from remembering as "big" when MitD himself was smaller; as such, he may already be as big as his father used to be.
    • MitD is mixed breed, and his father is larger than he will ever be

Knowledge of MitD
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD is very difficult to identify. Only a few individuals have claimed to know what he is:
    • The Stereotyped Big Game Hunters (SoD) knew he was "one of those" and that it was surprising he could talk (and in common, even)
    • RedCloak (SoD) stated he knew what MitD is
    • Oona compared him to a majestic monster comparable to a kebab-induced nightmare, but smaller than he could be
    • O-Chul, after his long imprisonment and friendship with MitD, still needed the help of the most knowledgeable scribe available to the Azurites, and even after that, he only has "a theory" (which he does not think Lien or MitD would believe).
    • MitD believes Xykon also knows what he is, but it's likely Xykon only cares about MitD's strength and looks, rather than detailed knowledge of what MitD can do
    • What looks like a wizard (SoD) in the circus audience admits he'd never seen anything like it.

It has been suggested that the hunters may have confused MitD with a different, less powerful but similar looking species that nevertheless is still rare. There have been no practical examples of this yet. Stereotypical Big Game Hunters, however, are seldom wrong about their prey.

Mental Resistance
    Spoiler
    Show
    In SoD (pg.96), Xykon was able to command MitD (as evidenced by MitD's swirly eyes), indicating MitD is not immune to mind-affecting spells.

Reach
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD cannot reach stew or meat left outside his box, but can reach the doors in Kraagor's wall enough to paint them, suggesting his reach is based on free movement rather than long appendages or telekinesis.

Species
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD was declared by the Stereotyped Big Game Hunters to be "one of these", indicating that there are more than one of him.

Tracks
    Spoiler
    Show
    MitD leaves tracks, which Belkar can't identify (but he's a lousy tracker, and even if he wasn't, MitD might have been carrying table, chairs, stuffed animals and a paralized O-Chul at the time, which might have obscured the tracks). However, he leaves no tracks in the snow. The following possibilities have been suggested as an explanation:
    • He floats/flies
    • He has some form of permanent pass without trace or water walk (note that despite its name, it works on plenty of non-water surfaces, including snow and lava)
    • The umbrella hides the tracks, in the same way it hides MitD's limbs even when they should be visible (e.g. around the handle) (i.e. it's part of the "we don't get to see any part of MitD until the reveal)

Section 2d: Abilities Augmentation: Templates, Class Levels, etc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A number of ways to increase creatures capabilities to match those shown by MitD have been proposed. All of them have the same general problem: they likely violate Rich's assurance that he didn't invent MitD and that it can be figure out. To illustrate these issues, consider two examples:
    Bingosaurus
    Spoiler
    Show
    The argument most commonly cited in favour of augmentations is that it is not a Rich creation if Rich merely uses already existing rules to create MitD, such as adding tempaltes, feats, class levels, etc. But there are rules for making your own monsters, spells, etc.

Nothing is stopping Rich from making what is for all intents and purposes a Bingosaurus* complete with an insatiable hunger for stew and yellow eyes, using rules that were published prior to comic #100. He will then furnish it with Bingo's epic earthquake (which functions like a regular earthquake except it is much more awesome and can be aimed in a direction), Wish and Bingo's Commanding You To Stop ability, DC100, at will

*Named after Lord Bingo, original proponent of this counterexample.

Binks' Mystery Sword
    Spoiler
    Show
    Related to the above, the second most common argument in favour of augmentations is that since the rules exist, it can be figured out. By the same logic, a DM could hand a character a custom magic item like Binks' Mystery Sword* and not tell his player what it does because the DM didn't invent it, instead followed the rules, so clearly the player can figure out what it does on his own.

*Named after Binks, original proponent of this counterexample.

The augmentation ideas presented so far are:
    Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    When a creature is promoted beyond its base CR, with every 3 HD added, the DM can also add a feat. Of interest to this thread are the two following feats:
    • Mighty Roar: allows a creature, once per day, to make a dreadful roar that renders everyone nearby shaken for x rounds. Pre-requisite: be an animal or magical beast of at least large size.
    • Stamp: allows a creature to make a shockwave with a radius of a number of squares equal to their HD. Creatures within the radius that fail a balance check vs the stamper's attack roll are knocked down; structures are also damaged by the shockwave, which could explain the ground being torn up if one is generous with the definition of 'structure'. Prerequisites: have feet, be at least huge size, and have the trample attack.

Cons:
    • No Wish feat
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since the exact number of extra HD added by "the DM" is not really guessable.
    • Size issues: MitD is likely Medium sized; while large is possible, huge is likely too big.
    • MitD is clearly lazy, and thus has little canon support for the idea that he has developed beyond the average of his species (quite the opposite, in fact). His father being bigger than he is also argues against this (more HD eventually makes the monster bigger).

Templated/Mixed lineage Creature
    Spoiler
    Show
    In D&D, a template is not a creature, but rather a number of changes that can be made to any creature meeting the requirements. The changes usually are around a theme. For example, the half-dragon template (applied to creatures with partial draconic parentage) make the creature more draconic, giving it a breath weapon, claws, a bite attack, and some draconic immunities, along with making the creature physically and mentally stronger.

Some templates function more generally, the fiendish template, for example, is used to create races of fauna native to the lower planes, and never originally were the base creature, but instead are a separate (but similar) species. Therefore, not all templates are once-in-a-lifetime combinations fluff-wise (although a half-fiend, half-celestial, half-red, half-blue, half-green, half-silver, fiendish living fireball could hardly be considered anything but a once-in-a-lifetime combination).

More practically, templates can provide practically every ability the MitD has demonstrated (teleportation, strange appearance, physical defenses, great strength, etc). Due to the ability of templates to make practically anything the MitD, this thread has moved away from analyzing specific monster template combinations (of which there are many), and instead will evaluate templates alone as what they could contribute (if there is a published example of a creature with a template, it can be proposed as a creature).

However, templates, like all augmentation, has its drawbacks:
    • No Wish template before strip #100 (Amidah and other Immortal's Handbook variants came out later)
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since the exact base type and templates use is not really guessable.
    • Unless the exact combination of templates and base creature has been used elsewhere, it can be argued that an original template stack would be a Rich invention.
    • Its unlikely that a one-in-a-lifetime combination of templates would be so common that the hunters call it "one of these" (although not all templates require mixed parentage)
    • No actual evidence of MitD having different species parents (although not all templates require mixed parentage)

Below is a list of templates that can provide abilities the MitD has demonstrated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beast of Xvim (Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: A monster blessed by Xvim (and evil god in Forgotten Realms). While it doesn't give any abilities that make it a good candidate to be the MitD, it has a Feed ability similar to that of the Barghest (only increases HD, but the HD increase is uncapped). See the entry on Phrenic Creature for how this is useful. The fluff would need to be redone, as Xvim does not exist in OoTSverse, although the Dark One could be a suitable replacement. Has moderate DR that might be able to explain tower scene defenses, although on its own it cannot explain any other scene.

• Advances HD by 1 automatically, gains an additional HD per 8 HD of humanoids slain and eaten.
    • Makes explicit mention of glowing green eyes. The eyes of the MitD glow yellow. With the adaptation to a different god, arguably the appearance like this could be altered.
    • In any case, there would be some alteration (which could violate the "not Rich's creation" rule) to make a Beast of Xvim without Xvim.
    • Gives moderate DR (scaled on HD, /+1, +2, or +3, so unclear what would overcome it after upgrade, which could explain tower scene defense.
    • Can be applied to any creature, although Xvim prefers "bats, black dogs, black cats, hawks, and vultures, or in monsters such as beholders, green or blue dragons, hell hounds, cockatrices, imps, dark nagas, and undead creatures."

Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Creature was raised in a dungeon and is smaller than normal. Applied to corporeal aberration, animal, magical beast, or vermin. Makes the creature slightly weaker physically. Doesn't explain any scene, but can allow the MitD to fit in the box or under the umbrella.

• Rich was involved in the creation of Dungeonscape, therefore could be his creation, no real way to figure out.
    • Essentially gives -4 Strength, so it is harder to fit the tower scene.
    • Eats less than a normal member of his race, as the MitD eats a lot, not all that good a fit.

Fiendish Creature (SRD/MMI)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Like normal creature, but native to lower planes. Gets DR/magic, energy resistance, SR, and Smite Good, all scaled with HD. Always evil. Doesn't explain any scenes, although the DR arguably could help provide defenses for Tower Scene (although it is at most 10/magic, so not unlikely Milko would overcome it). Can be applied to corporeal nongood aberrations, animals, dragons, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, oozes, plants, or vermin. Animals and vermin become magical beasts.

Half-Dragon (SRD, MMI, various other books)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Applied to any corporeal living creature to make it more draconic. Gets breath, claws, bite, and some draconic immunities (paralysis, sleep). Also gets wings if large or larger. Big bonus to Strength (+8), small bonuses (+2) to Con, Int, and Cha. There is a type of half-dragon for practically each type of true dragon, although none of them really do much. The +8 Str means if the base creature's strength is ≥22, it'd have get sufficient tower scene offensive, but other than that, the template doesn't generally help much (there are a bunch of types, it is possible one of them adds something else, if so, bring it up).

Half-Elemental (Manual of the Planes)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Creature has various elemental traits. Doesn't change appearance much (minor elemental themed things, like an half-earth elemental might get gemstone eyes. Gives a number of SLAs based on HD, none of which really are useful (with the exception of half-earth, which gives earthquake at 13 HD, and could explain the stomp scene). Earth and Water give minor boosts to strength. Can be applied to any corporeal creature with an Int of 4+. Changes type to outsider, gives appropriate elemental subtype. With the exception of the strength boost (+4 and +2 for earth and water respectively), doesn't allow creatures to explain the big scenes, although Half-earth can explain the the stomp with earthquake.

Half-Troll (Fiend Folio)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Boosts strength, gives a bit of fast healing, bite attack, claw attacks. Can be added to any animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or outsider, and changes type to giant. Strength boost (+6) lowers the required strength of the base creature (with this template) to explain the tower scene to 24. The fast healing (5) arguably could explain the tower scene defense, although somewhat dubious. The changing type away from outsider allows lots of template stacking, if one so desires. Furthermore, half-trolls are pretty ugly, which could explain the circus scene (but what kind of wizard hasn't heard of trolls?).

Monster of Legend (MMII)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: An animal, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid has a divinely appointed task, and special powers to back it up in accomplishing said task. Changes type to outsider (native). They are unique, so all those things kind of make the (seemingly purposeless and lazy) MitD not seem to fit. The template increases physical strength (+10), and can give fast heal 5 and DR 10/+1 as well, which arguably could explain the escape scene (the strength boost certainly helps, although the fast healing and DR is rather on the low end). Nothing to explain escape. Can get frightful presence, which could explain circus scene, although it is triggered by making "a loud sound (a roar, growl, or other sound appropriate to its form)," hardly what the MitD did.

Paragon Creature (SRD/ELH)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Generally makes the creature stronger, better faster. Gives fast healing and DR which can explain the tower scene. Boosts ability scores, attacks, damage, AC, saves, skill checks which can qualify an otherwise weaker monster (ex: Genie) as a threat to a near epic-level party. Does not change physical appearance or grant teleportation ability, so cannot explain escape or circus scene. Does not change creature type. Can be added to anything.

• +15 Strength allows any base creature with Strength ≥15 meet strength requirement for tower scene offense.
    • Fast healing 20, DR 10/epic, maximized HP, +15 Con, and +12 HP/HD on top of that (along with +12 luck and +12 insight bonus to AC) can explain the defenses in the tower scene for pretty much anything.
    • The +25 luck bonus to hit and +20 luck bonus to damage could be argued to be a cause for the MitD "accidentally" hitting a horse through the wall.
    • There is no real evidence of the MitD being exceptionally competent for a member of his species. In fact, Team Evil seems to think of him as sort of a disappointment. Without saying the MitD is exceptional, there is no real way to convey it is Paragon.

Phrenic Creature (SRD/Expanded Psionics Handbook)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: The creature happens to be psionic. It can be applied to any not mindless creature that doesn't already have the psionic subtype. It provides various PLAs (Psi-like abilities) based off HD. The important thing for the MitD is psionic teleport 3/day (just like normal teleport, but psionic) at 15+ HD, which can explain the escape scene. It does not say it alters appearance (although larger than normal brains is a common trait to denote psionic ability), but probably cannot explain the circus scene, and provides no boosts to physical attack or defense to explain the tower scene.

• Gives PLAs, ML=HD. At 15 HD, gives psionic teleport 3/day which serves as an adequate explanation (likely arriving at a "similar area", possibly the MitD originally had a false destination making it more likely.
    • It has been argued the MitD's eyes glowing with the Escape are more similar to psionics than other magic.
    • We had no real evidence of the MitD being psionic, and the template makes no physical distinction between the base creature, potentially violating "can be figured out" even more than templates in general.

Pseudonatural Creature (SRD/ELH)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Makes the creature a cosmic horror. Explains circus scene with alternate form. It can fit tower scene for ~90% of proposed candidates (Strength ≥8), but can't explain the escape. Can be applied to any corporeal creature. Makes the creature an Outsider (extraplanar)

• Can be added to any corporeal creature.
    • Gives +22 strength, at least 35 natural armor, and DR/epic scaling with HD. This allows pretty much any creature with over 8 strength to fit the tower scene (although the more HD initially, the better).
    • Has an alternate form specified to be "a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form)," which can explain the circus scene. Alternate form imposes morale penalty on attacks against the monster, but nothing huge like dying of fright or confusion.
    • Does not provide explanation for the Escape (its Dimensional Door ability has a range of 1200 ft).

Radiant Creature (DR321)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Creature native to the "plane of radiance." Gets DR/magic and fast healing 2 (while in light), which kind of poorly explains defenses in tower scene. Gives some light-based SLAs (nothing we've seen the MitD use). Main draw is dazzling aura (dazzles creatures within 30 ft that fail a will save) to explain the circus scene. Boost to charisma (+6) might make it more beautiful. Strobe lights can cause dizziness and other such things, so that could explain why some people had a negative reaction. The template can be added to any Aberration, Animal, Dragon, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, or Monstrous Humanoid, and changes type to outsider.

Proposed combinations:

Pimp my Tarrasque
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the huge number of such combinations suggested for the Tarrasque, this approach is also known as Pimp my Tarrasque:

Class Levels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only useful to explain the escape scene, it suggests MitD has 18+ class levels of Sorcerer, which would allow him to cast wish even if the base creature normally wouldn't (assuming it has at least 18 CHA).
    Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since MitD has not shown any other spell from those 18 levels
    • It is unexplained how MitD would even gain 18 levels, given his general lazyness
    • It would require MitD to have forgotten he gained those levels ("discovers powers that he didn't even know he had")

Proposed class levels:
    • 18 levels of sorcerer would give him access to wish.
    • 2 levels of fighter with the alternate class feature Dungeoncrasher might be used to explain the tower scene (although he would have had to rush Miko and her horse, which doesn't quite fit the "hit lightly" rule he himself imposed).

Reincarnation
    Spoiler
    Show
    This idea suggests that MitD used to be a powerful spellcaster (level 18 or more) that dies and used a Reincarnation spell to reincarnate as a rare animal.
    Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since there has been no mention of the possibility of reincarnation in the comic, and it would make figuring out what MitD almost impossible

Abomination
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has been claimed that there is a way for Rich to create his own abomination. Some abomination traits are similar in their description to MitD's eating habits.

Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words
    • Almost certainly violates the "didn't create it" clause in Rich's words
    • Abominations are immune to mind control

Psychic
    Spoiler
    Show
    From a third-party book published just months before strip 100, if offers a number of powers similar to teleport and others, except using "psychic powers".

Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a) since MitD has shown no psychic abilities, and if he did, they are too easily confused with psionics

Unbridled Shapeshifter
    Spoiler
    Show
    By RAW, a shapeshifting creature can gain a large number of abilities by successive shapeshifting into the correct creatures, gaining their magical powers and access to ways to make those changes permanent. The ur-example of this is Pun Pun, the shapeshifting all-powerful kobold. Combined with some form of convenient amnesia you could create a creature very much like MitD, no matter what powers MitD turns out to posses.

Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a)
    • Rich has been very outspoken about his views on this kind of shapeshifting, including a series of articles on how to fix it.

Book of Vile Darkness Demon Lord
    Spoiler
    Show
    As per BoVD, demon lords each have a unique look and a unique set of abilities. While a few examples are given (such as Demogorgon, a demon prince), they are explicitly by no means exhaustive. The proposed demon lord, as such, fits the big scenes in whatever way we wish.
    Cons:
    • Probably violates the "figured out" clause in Rich's words (see Section 1a)
    • Demons may or may not have parents in OotS (general cosmology used doesn't have them, but the demon summoned by Qarr claimed to have one - but he was under the Despair spell, and therefore his idea of being a disappointment to his father might have been spell-induced)
    • Demon Lords are embodiments of their respective Evil plains, and as per Rich's words on the topic, should not be able to change their moral position more than slightly - nowhere near the range demonstrated by MitD (see section 1e)

Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-12-06 at 12:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Section 3: Proposed Ideas

Section 3a: Suggestions that Fit the Big Scenes (FBS)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This category groups ideas that fit the clues in the major scenes of MitD, with the following characteristics (as per thread consensus):
    1) Has a plausible explanation for the Escape
    2) Has a plausible explanation for the Tower (both his attack and his defence)
    3) Has a plausible explanation for the Circus (both his act, and the reactions)
    4) Isn't one of the impossible categories (unless it is an exception)
    5) Existed before strip #100 in a form accessible to Rich.
    6) Size no bigger than Huge ("fits in the box")
    7) Is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (SoD)

The proposals may still have other objections (such as that the above explanations require stretching the rules of D&D).

Athasian Nightmare Beast
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros:
    • 30 Strength
    • Psionic teleport
    • Fairly ugly and unique
    • CR18, decent defences
    • Dominated by its voracious appetite, can eat anything
    • Despite spell-like abilities and intelligence appears to have no listed languages or even forms of communication

Cons:
    • Posted publicly a few months after MitD's decision, but the designer could have sent an advance copy to other designers, such as Rich.

Glabrezu (SRD or MM 43)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Access to wish 1/month, explains the escape and why the goblin wasn't teleported. It also cannot grant its own wishes, further explaining the lack of later success.
    • 31 STR
    • 20 CHA, but still rather disturbing looking, while not being immediately recognisable as a demon
    • Surprising it can speak common (not in its language list)
    • The stronger limbs are probably not dextrous. The human-like ones are probably not strong enough to pull on a rope.

Cons:
    • Huge would not really fit under the umbrella
    • Not surprising it can speak
    • Depending on canon interpretation, cannot have a parent
    • Embodiment of Chaotic Evil plane - should not be able to be as Good as MitD is.
    • Low CR

Hagunemnon (Protean) (SRD or ELH 196)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Great strength (53)
    • Access to Planar Travel through convenient partial shapeshift into e.g. Umbral Blot, which includes greater teleport
    • As a psionic creature, it may have been converted by the means described in the Expanded Psionics handbook, which would give him psionic teleport
    • adequate size
    • his shapeshifting sounds disturbing, but has 34 CHA.
    • Normally speak only ever-evolving language impossible for any non-protean to understand, thus being surprising it talks in common.
    • Its psionic ability to detect thoughts would explain his knowledge of the ritual, probably having heard RC's thoughts on the subject.
    • Fluff implies there are protean newborns, so presumably they have some form of parentage ("Even newborns are tides of flesh, ever changing")

Cons:
    • Plane shift doesn't fit well with the escape as shown (see 1b: The Escape), and while greater teleport fits slightly better, it requires a timely shapeshift into the exact appropriate creature. There is no evidence that psionic-class creatures have been converted as per EP handbook.
    • Its constant shapeshifting has not been reflected in a change of MitD (mouth and eyes stay roughly the same)

Hunting Horror (CoC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • CR 20 - powerful enough to be MitD.
    • Strength of 34 - on the lower side, but within acceptable bounds for the tower scene.
    • Hideous form - looks like a "black ropy worm or serpent, rather like a legless dragon... with a single wing rising from the middle of the back and a long sinuous tail trailing behind," but are also "mutable, as some have reported them with two wings instead of one, or two eyes instead of a single three-lobed yellow eye." 6th edition of CoC describes them as "hard to look at" and "continually changing, twitching and writhing".
    • Accompanied by a permanent foul stench that causes Nausea.
    • Has a Roar ability, but that causes damage, so perhaps that doesn't explain the "STOP" after all.
    • Can understand speech, but "rarely speaks," according to the D20 version.
    • Has a Swallow Whole ability, so more than capable of devouring Redcloak.
    • Has a tail that it can use as an appendage, allowing him to smack the ground and "punch" Miko and Windstriker through a wall, but making pulling things or holding small objects difficult.
    • Rare to see it on Earth at all, let alone in a rainforest in the middle of the day.
    • Acquires spells by rolling dice, and picking from a list

Cons:
    • Defences not that great: AC of 19, plus DR 5/+1, fast healing of 10 - only the last can help explain the "tickle" comment, and not well at that.
    • Acquires spells by rolling dice, and picking from a list
    • Access to teleportation a bit dodgy - some older versions give it more random spell access, but D20 specifies a list of spells that does not include teleportation
    • Damaged by light - explanations vary as to whether it can tolerate a few hours worth of light or if light damages it outright, but a problem either way
    • Too big to fit under either umbrella or box.
    • The total lack of non-wing limbs in the official description doesn't fit the art clues. It's of variable form, though, so it might have limbs.

Alternatively, it has been suggested that the HH could be following the CoC rules, rather than the d20 rules, in which case he could use Avert Harm to resist the attacks, but in that case, the creature does not have a means to explain the escape. As a workaround, it has been suggested it could have learnt a heavily modified Word of Recall that teleports to a random destination, although this has no canon support (that such WoR exists, nor that MitD has learnt it).

Schlock Mercenary's Carbosilicate Amorph
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Can interface with a teraport to teleport
    • Incredible strength and fighting abilities. Invulnerable to anything short of plasma weapons.
    • Looks like a pile of poo
    • Endearing and adorable
    • Fits under the umbrella easily, but his dad could have been bigger if he had eaten recently
    • Famous for his unbridled appetite.
    • As per Shining Wrath's Weak Carbosilicate Amorphic principle, "If MitD is in fact a Carbosilicate Amorph, it is because Rich has brought Carbosilicate Amorphs into OotSverse, and therefore they are as recognizable as any other monster of similar rarity"
    • Rich could probably secure copyright from Howard Tayler, since they are friends

Cons:
    • Rich probably wouldn't use a SF character from another comic in his fantasy comic.

Slaad (ELH 217)
    Spoiler
    Show
    White/Black slaads only.
    Pros:
    • Very strong, epic defences
    • Can teleport others
    • Disgusting appearance (humanoid toad)
    • Not inmune to mind-affecting spells
    • White one fits in the box/umbrella. Black only in the box.

Cons:
    • Tricky reproduction cycle means black/white slaads are unlikely to have a "father" (unless it is of the foundling variety).
    • MitD would have to be over 300 years old, having evolved through green, grey and death slaad varieties. This does not mesh well with his mental characteristics. (unless Rich has bent the reproduction flavor text)
    • It may be Product Identity (listed as such in d20.org, but not in the WotC legal documentation).
      • Even if it is, it may not be impossible for Rich to use it for free, unlike trademarked creatures.
    • Can talk common, and thus wouldn't surprise the hunters that he can talk.
    • It may be too recognisable as a humanoid toad to fit the wizard's comment in the circus scene.

Uvuudaum
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • greater teleport available 3 times a day as an SLA explains the escape
    • very high strength (39), is very ugly but has extremely high charisma (46)
    • large bonuses to knowledge:arcana and spellcraft explains understanding of the ritual
    • Large size, so fits in the box (not so much under the umbrella)
    • Normally communicates with telepathy, not by speaking, so it's surprising it talks.
    • A confusion aura could explain reactions in the circus, particularly if it's weakened by MitD being a youngster of the species.

Cons:
    • Might not have eyes or mouth (unmentioned in description, not present in pictures)
    • His confusion aura should give everyone missing saves around him swirly eyes, but no such thing is visible in the circus scene.

Section 3b: Frequently Proposed Unlikely Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

These ideas have been frequently brought up, but they fail in a major way that presents a major problem. If you are considering them, please address the problem listed in your initial post.

Deity
    Spoiler
    Show
    First, note that "a god" is not a specific proposal. There are hundreds to pick from, many with wildly different capabilities. Furthermore:
    • If they have D&D stats, they will have Divine Ranks, which automatically gives them immunity to mind control (see Section 2c: Categories). This applies even to demigods (rank 1-5).
    • They can speak every language - unsurprising they can talk
    • Why would the SBGH think there is a market in selling deities?
    • Any deity RC would consider appropriate for his team (Evil/Neutral ones) can Animate Dead, or copy it through Miracle.

Grue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can challenge any lone adventurer, has insatiable appetite and sparse descriptions mention it being horrible. However, it wouldn't desire to be lighted as MitD does, and it is not known to have magic (e.g. teleportation). Note that MitD has been in the light before joining team evil, both in the jungle and specially in the circus, and has never shown any discomfort from being in the light.

Pun-Pun & Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pun-Pun isn't really something that can be classified as "one of those", and it seems likely that Rich made a joke of this idea when MitD suggested he might be a kobold, only to be told he's to tall for a kobold

Rich "The Giant" Burlew
    Spoiler
    Show

Rich does not fit any of MitD's characteristics - neither physical (e.g. great strength), nor mental (e.g. personality), nor supernatural (e.g. teleportation powers). Claims that he could give himself the powers needed because he is the author are effectively accusations that MitD is a Mary Sue (unfounded), but also if that were the case, it would be something Rich invented for the story.

A frequent defence is that OotS people would react poorly to people from our world, but we have seen RL people in the comic, and they are stickified, so Rich would not fit the circus scene. Claims that he'd retain his RL nose are baseless, and furthermore the reactions to noses in-comic do not match the circus scene anyway. Rich is also a vegetarian, while MitD eats meat

Snarl jr
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the #1 proposed idea, the "son-of-Snarl" has a major problem: it does not match Rich's words that MitD is a monster someone else (i.e. not him) invented (see Section 1a: "it isn't something I just made up for the story" & "I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually"). Snarl has also not displayed any form of teleportation magic, nor any particular appetite (except maybe for souls, although it could equally be a figure of speech of the destruction it brings to mortals), nor need to sleep.

Furthermore, Snarl has been kept a major secret - it's unlikely that the hunters would know, or that they have seen so many Snarl Jr.s running around they can talk about not having seen "one of these".

Tarrasque (SRD or MM 240)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tarrasque is an iconic creature, famed for eating a lot and sleeping a lot. Unfortunately, there is no particular reason to think that MitD is an iconic creature, and Tarrasque brings several other issues to the table, the most important of which is its lack of teleportation/wishing abilities. Other issues: Tarrasque is traditionally unique and non-reproducing (not part of a species) and far bigger than can fit under an umbrella.

Section 3c: Copyrighted Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show
    All ideas listed here, regardless of how well they fit, have a major problem: they are trademarked, or otherwise unavailable for Rich's use due to legal issues (see Section 4a: Inappropriate Topics)

Boggart (Harry Potter)
    Claydol(Pokemon™)
    Danica (Star Power)
    Diawolf
    Domo-kun (NHK)
    Father (KND)
    Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
    Red Mage (Final Fantasy)
    Godzilla & pals (Godzilla)
    Goku (Dragon Ball)
    Gozer (Ghostbusters)
    Haggunenon (HHGTTG)
    Heffalump(Winnie the Pooh)
    Kirby(Kirby)
    Pervect (MYTH Adventures)
    Plastic Man (DC Comics)
    Lord Ochu (FinalFantasyX)
    My Little Pony(My Little Pony)
    Q (from Star Trek)
    Rawhead Sidhe (Dresden Files)
    Roger Rabbit (Who framed Roger Rabbit?)
    Snorlax (Pokemon™)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A great fit, since:
    • "They can throw incredibly powerful punches and cause immense earthquakes",
    • is known for its huge appetite (including his ability to eat moldy food) and its sleeping.
    • It grows from a much smaller pokemon, Munchlax, and fits in the box as an adult (6' 11'').
    • Using Metronome, it could have a plot-casuality induced access to "escape from battle" abilities.
    • When not drawn anime style, pokemons can be downright disturbing (non-Snorlax example).
    • When you fight a static-encounter Snorlax in the games, if you do not capture it, when the fight ends the game text tells you that it has 'stomped off back to the mountains.'
    • Has Fissure as an egg move, whose in-game description reads: 'The user opens up a fissure in the ground and drops the foe in. The target instantly faints if it hits.' (picture)

Shadow (Babylon 5)
    SMT3 and Persona 3 and 4 (Megami Tensei)
    Skull (PvP)
    Tonberri (Final fantasy)
    Vatch (Witches of Karres)
    Vorlon (Babylon 5)
    Weeping Angel (Dr. Who)
    Ygramul (Neverending Story)
    Yoshi (Super Mario Brothers)
    Zoidberg (Futurama)

Section 3d: Light-Hearted Ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

These ideas are not meant to be taken seriously, and were added to this post only because they amused me enough I wanted them recorded for posterity. Please don't read too much into them (or what they say about my sense of humour)
    • Inmune to blades, including scissors, but suffers from papercuts?
      Spoiler
      Show
      Must be a Rock
    • The most dangerous box ever
    • The fearsome Gazebo
      Spoiler
      Show
      HotAndCold explained:
      • A gazebo is obviously a powerful monster, devouring the story's PC without any chance of rebuttal.
      • It takes no damage from a +3 arrow, just as MitD apparently takes no damage from Miko's or Belkar's attacks.
      • Would you recognize a gazebo's tracks?
      • Or expect to find one in a jungle and even speaking in Common, for that matter?
      • It is, of course, a juvenile gazebo, explaining its roughly Medium size, rather than its being large enough for, y'know, people to hang out in it.
      • I... guess he could be a particularly ugly gazebo? Although technically speaking, the gazebo's never actually described in the story beyond its dimensions, color, and the pointiness of its top. So I guess one could argue the gazebo's horrific appearance.
      • The description states that the PC "awakened" the gazebo, implying that it was sleeping. Perhaps it had recently used one of its mighty and tiring abilities!
    • A Fanboy
      Spoiler
      Show
      Truly grotesque creatures, Fanboys have been known to consume vast quantities of whatever they get their hands on (including mouldy cheeseburgers), while skulking in the darkness of their 'boxes'. When inserted into fantasy fiction, they often wield great quantities of inexplicable power (Mary Sue Syndrome) and have difficulty remembering minor plot details (Gate? What gate?) They are truly the most fearsome creature any Creator can face, and yet are beautiful in that a Creator would be nothing without them. And of course, the monstrous and twisted exterior hides an innocence ill-befitting a horrendous beast, and a niceness of character little understood by those around, often causing them to be bullied by lesser souls in the vicinity.

We are all MitD in the quiet corners of our souls.
    • Grey_Wolf_c
      Spoiler
      Show
      Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
      1) How did Grey_Wolf_c punch Miko and her horse through a wall?
      - She suggested a Tarrasque should be added, and her horse said Snarl Jr. An adrenaline-fueled rage took over.
      2) Why didn't Miko or Belkar's weapons hurt Grey_Wolf_c ?
      - Maintaining these threads has made him impervious to pain.
      3) Why wouldn't a wizard recognize Grey_Wolf_c ?
      - Keeping up with the thread means he doesn't have time to keep up his appearance so looks like a human-sasquatch mix wearing clothing.
      4) Why would humans become nauseous at seeing Grey_Wolf_c ?
      - No time to shower either.
      5) How did Grey_Wolf_c teleport V and O-Chul to the beach with Hinjo?
      - Well, you got me there.
    • The Giant
      Spoiler: No but really though.
      Show
      No, not that Giant, this Giant Former WCW World Champion. Latterly The Big Show, and played by Paul Wight.

An actual fairy-tale Giant, a wild-haired mountain-savage, who wrestled in World Championship Wrestling from 1995 to 1999, and was booked as the son of the late Andre The Giant.

1) The Escape: Can The Giant teleport?... Bizarrely enough, yes. The Giant debuted in 1995 in World Championship Wrestling as part of the 'Dungeon Of Doom' stable, portraying a similar role that the MITD has in OOTS. The powerful dragon controlled by 'The Taskmaster' Kevin Sullivan. In this role, he actually could teleport. And teleported to and from the titular 'Dungeon of Doom.'

2) The attack and defense portrayed in the tower scene: At Halloween Havok 1995, he attacked Hulk Hogan on the roof of the Cobo Arena in Detroit. He fell from the roof of a 12,000 seater stadium straight to the concrete parking lot below, and not only lived to tell the tale, but wrestled later that night. Talk about damage reduction. As for attack? Well... He's been showed to flip cars and throw "350 Pounds, solid steel ring-steps" in his time... I think you'd need at least a Strength of 28 to do that last one if you had the Hulking Hurler Prestige Class's ability 'Really Throw Anything.' He's choke-slammed two large men at once, in real life, where the men are resisting, rather than helping you lift them up, that's basically dead-lifting around 500 pounds at once.
      Also, he beat Hulk Hogan. No one beats Hulk Hogan. Ever. Seriously. Because Hulk Hogan is an arrogant, selfish old c-... Never mind.

3) Has a plausible explanation for the Circus: He's been portrayed as gross, scary, impressive and interesting. And plenty of people paid to watch him.

4) Isn't one of the impossible categories: He's definitely a humanoid.

5) Existed before strip #100 in a form accessible to Rich: Debuted on US TV in 1995

6) Size no bigger than Huge: Only seven foot tall, 484 or so pounds.

7) Is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects: Yup.

8) Smaller and eats less than his father: He was portrayed as the son of Andre The Giant a seven foot four, 520 pound man who is said to have consumed 7,000 calories a day in wine alone.

9) Small, but will get much bigger: The Big Show is significantly fatter now than he was when he was known as The Giant.

10) Could he eat Redcloak whole?: Well... He has the appetite of a Giant, soon after his debut, he became tremendously fat, and since he was booked as a literal Giant, a mountain-dwelling savage from 'Parts Unknown,' he probably isn't above eating moldy cheeseburgers.

11) 'Wouldn't expect to see on of these here [In The Jungle]': You wouldn't expect to bump into a wrestler in a jungle... Well, you wouldn't! Would you? I wouldn't!

12: Surprised he can speak, and in common?: Weirdly enough, despite speaking English very well, the interviewers and commentators would often pretend that they couldn't tell what The Giant was saying, kind of like Stewie in Family Guy.
    • Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Young Adult Green Dragon
      Spoiler
      Show
      The MitD is a green dragon that also has five different green dragon ancestors in his family, so he has five instances of the Half-Dragon template.

Pros:
      • Template combination is guessable, because it's not unusual for the Stickyverse. Half-dragon hybrids are common: Girard is half-dragon, Enor is half-dragon ogre, Durkon's parents fought a half-dragon troll. The ancient black dragon says in #628 that she's expected that her son invites "that nice green dragon girl", showing that green dragons sometimes interbreed with dragons. #555 has a joke about a half-orc half-orc orc.
      • 63 strength to explain tower scene.
      • Two claw attacks for 1d6 damage and a bite attack of 1d8 damage, weaker than the attacks of an ordinary young adult green dragon. Lets Miko and horse survive tower scene.
      • 36 natural armor, 25 base armor class, 5/magic DR explains why Belkar's and Miko's attacks fail. Half-Dragon template says "Natural armor improves by +4" so the bonus from multiple instances will stack.
      • "Elongated features […] and exaggerated teeth and claws" and "more formidable" both stacked five times to explain circus scene. The wizard in circus has seen green dragons, but not one with such grotesque features. He's just the kind of misshapen mutant that a freak show wants to show off. Xykon finds him ugly.
      • Misshapen features explain why Belkar can't recognize his tracks.
      • Overly long claws and 10 dexterity makes it difficult to pull the rope.
      • People can still recognize that he is a dragon, explaining "one of these".
      • 29 intelligence, 19 wisdom, and 29 charisma, may have skills in Bluff and Knowledge. That is why he can bluff Xykon once he actually starts to think, and recognize the half a ritual.
      • Large size to fit in box.
      • Can fly, which is how he can get up to the entrances higher up in the mountain without leaving a trace.
      • Dragons grow as they age, which explain that MitD's father was BIG.
      • Two eyes.
      • Not immune to mind affecting effects.

Con:
      • Doesn't explain escape scene.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-31 at 10:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Section 3: Continued

Section 3e: Proposed ideas
    Spoiler
    Show

Ideas that have been proposed, but cannot explain all major MitD scenes (See 3a)
    Aboleth Mage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • 28 Strength
    • Effective caster level 10th would allow him to have teleport
    • Appearance: "The aboleth is a revolting fishlike amphibian" but charisma 14 could count as "beautiful" for someone that isn't too nauseated by fish-like beings
    • Can only speak languages that are used underwater - would be surprising to hear him speak out of the water, and in common no less.
    • Very rare to be found outside of their natural environment (water)
    • Grows bigger as it ages - father would be bigger than MitD
    • Eating creatures gives him their memories, which would explain why he doesn't like to eat babies (no memories - bland and boring food) and why he likes stew (he never knows what he's going to get, it's a big surprise!)

Cons:
    This creature could be considered the "almost" FBS suggestion.
    • Strength is almost to the 30 used as rule of thumb for the tower scene, but not quite there
    • Huge, almost small enough to fit in the box - and if made any smaller by age or template, he'd be too weak
    • CR17 is almost to the rule of thumb expected power level
    • 3 eyes - almost the right amount - vertically stacked.
    • Study-based spellcasting is a poor fit for MitD, who is never seen studying spells

Akvan Div Prince
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too tall. probably not ugly enough. Might be too recent.

Alhoon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead, not strong enough

Anaxim (SRD or ELH 158)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct, no teleportation.

Andeloid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can absorb the powers of other creatures, virtually explaining everything with the right set of creatures, but seems unlikely that MitD has had a chance to do so

Angel of Decay
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead

Astral Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too big when powerful enough (if it ever is powerful enough - top strength of 24 is insufficient); too weak when the right size. Too recognisable due to being a dragon for it to fit the circus scene. Fluff about staying a child until mating does fit MitD.

Astral Dreadnaught
    Spoiler
    Show
    only one eye, gargantuan, can't explain the escape

Asura (high CR homebrew)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can cause earthquake, looks weird. Can't explain the escape. Unsurprising to hear it speak in common. Too many eyes.

Atropal (SRD or ELH 159)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead: doesn't eat or sleep.

Audrey II
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not that ugly (people flock to see it), unclear if it can teleport others/grant wishes (up for interpretation), unclear if its strength is sufficient to punch people through walls and send them flying.

Bauhei
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unclear if it can be called "one of these". Doesn't fit the circus scene (awe doesn't induce vomiting)

Aurumach Rilmani
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too humanoid looking to fit the circus scene.

Baku
    Spoiler
    Show
    28 STR, probability travel works as teleport or a critical roll, fairly unrecognisable. However, also not specially disgusting looking.

Barghest (SRD or MM 22)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Eats a lot, and gets stronger as he eats (reference)
    • Greater Barghest has dimension door

Cons:
    • Not really all that strong, (max 20)
    • No earthquake ability
    • Dimension door doesn't explain the escape well
    • can speak (but not in common)

Black Troll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large, ugly as every troll, but looking demonic on top. Can cast Teleportation without error, explaining the escape (but not what the hell a troll is doing with that spell and 10 INT and CHA). Unfortunately, not quite strong enough.

Brachyurus (SRD or ELH 170)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strong and relatively ugly, but can't explain the escape

Brainstealer Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Old ones are strong and have spells that can explain the escape, but are too big to fit in the box. Young ones that do fit are too weak. All of them can explain the circus scene. Published a year after strip #100

Braxat (MM2 37)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not particularly strong, CR9 and can only explain the escape with Dimension Door.

Brood Keeper (MM3)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape, the fear aura doesn't fit the circus scene, too big, not strong enough. Rich may have had a hand in their creation.

Bigfoot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, presumed ugly even though no-one ever manages to see him. However, no magic, and thus doesn't explain the escape.

Cerebrilith
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can´t explain the escape. Insufficient Strength

Centaur (SRD or MM 32)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, can't explain the earthquake, the tower scene, the circus scene or the escape.

Cherub (four-faced version)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Strength of 36.
    • "four-sided head with the faces of a lion, ox, eagle, and man," which can be disgusting
    • Wish as an SLA, easily explains the escape
    • Has earthquake as a power, could explain the stomp.
    • Large size
    • Can be advanced to gargantuan, meaning that MitD's "father" could be either another larger cherub who was raising him or just a god specifically.
    • Strange to find a cherub in a rainforest.

Cons:
    • Like most angelic hosts and demonic armies, it is hard to understand how it went unrecognised in the circus act - most people would have heard of them at their religious service of choice.
    • OotS Cherubs don't look like that.
    • Four sets of eyes
    • Unsurprising it can talk common (can talk all languages)
    • SBGH would probably not likely sell divine beings into slavery
    • Immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
    • Doesn't really fit with why Xykon and Redcloak expect him to be "scary" and eat children

Chi You
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vaguely defined. Weird looking, but not particularly revolting. Can speak.

Chichimec
    Spoiler
    Show
    No explanation for the escape

Coeurl
    Spoiler
    Show
    CR4, nowhere near powerful enough. Can't explain the escape

Concordant Killer (MM4)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Created too late to be MitD. Not strong enough. Can't explain the escape

Corpse Tearer Linnorm (MM2 141)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strong and with access to miracle, but only through cleric spells, which would give him Animate Dead, which MitD is known not to be able to cast

Couatl
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape (caster level not high enough) the tower or the circus (not particularly revolting). CR10, nowhere near powerful enough. Since it has cleric abilities, should be able to help RC

Crypt Thing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead, can't explain the tower scene. Unclear how somone could claim not to have seen a human skeleton before. Unsurprising it can talk

Crystalle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can cast Wish, but limited since the ioun stone has limited charges. STR 33. Cons: appearance not particularly disgusting; Elemental: doesn't eat or sleep.

Dao (MoP 172)
    Spoiler
    Show
    aka "earth genie". Pros:
    • Can grant wishes
    • Can cast earthquake
    • Has a "shove" ability to push enemies

Cons:
    • Unsurprising it can talk
    • CR6, little strength, no defences
    • Not unusually ugly
    • Unclear how father would be "bigger and hungrier"

Deus Ex Machina personified
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would be a Rich creation

Disenchanter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, cannot explain the escape, not powerful enough to be Xykon's Ace in the Hole.

Displacer Beast (MM 60)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape, not strong enough

Dragon (SRD or MM 68 + most MMs)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Decent defences
    • they like to eat and sleep

Cons:
    • They don't get the kind of strength and powers needed until they are way too big for the box.
    • They are very recognisable, and thus don't match the circus' reactions.

Draknor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sprouts from the ground, but we have seen MitD in high floors of towers.

Draeden
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludicrously large (1,000ft per HD), would not fit in the box. Can raise the dead

Dread Linnorm (MM2 141)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Huge Strength
    • Wish (Sorcerer Levels)
    • Ugly (with high Charisma)

Cons:
    • Colossal - requires him to be a runt, which brings problems re: high-level spell access
    • Two Heads - requires a reason why it lost one (e.g. decapitation)
    • Immunity to all spells of the enchantment school

Dream Larva (SRD or ELH 161)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Worst Nightmare ability explains circus' reactions (as long as it is a 'young' dream larva, so that it is not immediately lethal)
    • Very strong (42), high CR, defences and DR
    • Dreamscape allows teleportation, with a certain amount or rules bending (see here for an explanation)

Cons:
    • Immune to mind-affecting effects
    • Dreamscape doesn't explain the escape all that well
    • Not known for its appetite, or its need to sleep
    • Unclear if a young dream larva can even exist, and would be less lethal than an adult one.

Earth Elemental (SRD or MM 97)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unstated how it would cause the escape, it cannot provide material for undead

Efreet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not powerful enough in D&D, regardless of how powerful they were in the original mythology

Empyrean
    Spoiler
    Show
    5e monster, and therefore published way too late for MitD

Enveloper (1e FF)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insufficient strength, it's main ability of absorbing powers (thus explaining the escape scene), would also give MitD knowledge that would be at odds with his known naïvety and ignorance. Difficulty explaining the circus scene.

Ephemeral Hangman (ToM 161)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Looks like a mass of black tentacles centered around a large maw and a trunklike body.
    • Large, but when in darkness or shadowy illumination, it can fit into spaces that appear too small for it
    • The base species prefers eating children "and others too small and weak to fight back"

Cons:
    • Can't explain the escape scene
    • Probably too weak: CR7, STR 22

Epic Dragon (SRD or ELH 181)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Have access to Wish
    • Very strong
    • Like most dragons, it likes to eat and sleep

Cons:
    • They don't get the kind of strength and powers needed until they are way too big for the box.
    • Beautiful (sp. prismatic)
    • They are very recognisable, and thus don't match the circus' reactions.

Essence Reaver
    Spoiler
    Show
    Published in 2007, too late for MitD.

Fhoimoren Giant
    Spoiler
    Show
    No explanation for the escape. Weak defences.

Fiendwurm (MM2 99)
    Spoiler
    Show
    strong and known for eating constantly, can't talk, can send people to the Abyss, but that explains the escape very badly if at all, and lack of limbs and gargantuan size are problematic.

Fihyr, Greater
    Spoiler
    Show
    too many eyes, not strong enough, not challenging enough, can't explain the escape.

Formian Myrmarch
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough to explain the tower scene

Gelatinous Cube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fits none of the major scenes

General Ox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorcerer with access to 9th level spells, and STR 36. Doesn't quite match the circus scene's public reactions

Genie/Djinn (SRD or MM 114)
    Spoiler
    Show
    while able to cast wish, they can talk, they are not particularly ugly, and they're nowhere near powerful enough for MitD

Geriviar
    Spoiler
    Show
    No good explanation for the Escape. Not strong enough.

Ghour
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decently strong, but insufficient CR and too big. Being a demon, it's morality and 'father' doesn't match well MitD's.

Giant Snowman
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large strength and high HP, but no other known powers to explain the other scenes (especially the escape).

Giant Space Hamster
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, no magical powers, not ugly enough for the circus scene

Gibbering Orb (SRD or ELH 191)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't stomp due to lack of limbs. Shouldn't leave tracks. Too many eyes and mouths. No explanation for Escape, except far-fetched "ate someone with access to wish the day before".

Girard (Member of the Order of the Scribble)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unsurprising it can talk, wouldn't be exhibited as a circus freak, wouldn't be hunted by the SBGH, is now known to be dead.

Gloom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fairly strong, very powerful, but has no eyes, shadow walk isn't quite good enough to explain the escape and "tall, very dark, elf-eared person with a cloak" is not exactly "I've never seen anything like it before"

Goristro
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huge, and can't teleport, or explain the escape in any other way. See also Pit Fiend.

Gray Render (SRD or MM 138)
    Spoiler
    Show
    can't explain the escape, or the tower. Not particularly good at explaining the circus. Too many eyes (6).

Grendel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Original text says it is immune to weapons. Unclear how it accounts for the escape scene, except if it were demon-spawn due to conversion to D&D, which is a very big stretch. Difficulty addressing its strength (enough to break benches, but not the full hall).

Grey Slaad (MM 231)
    Spoiler
    Show
    can teleport people both within a plane and between planes, but so-so strength

Grootslang
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape. Did not exist when #100 was posted

Guardinal, Leonal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, aura of fear for evil creatures should have been seen in the comic.

Gug (CoC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (From Call of Cthulhu) Very ugly, and causes loss of sanity when looked at. Has a small chance of knowing how to teleport, but is not strong enough, particularly if young version is assumed due to size problems.

Ha-Naga (SRD or ELH 195)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Access to wish, and fairly strong although, being Colossal, too big for the umbrella (when moving), and lack of limbs make several scenes difficult to explain (like pulling on the rope). Not particularly vomit-inducing. Proposing a child version reduces the strength bellow appropriate amount. Can raise undead (or could by retraining upon level up), which MitD cannot "without gaining 5 levels of cleric".

Half-Giant (SRD or XPH 200)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strong and psionic, but can talk, unclear how it accounts for circus scene and the escape.

Hellfire Wyrm (MM2 125)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon, and thus can't explain the circus scene properly. Too big (huge)

Hephaestus
    Spoiler
    Show
    God: Immune to mind control

Hoary Hunter (SRD or ELH 197)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, can plane shift, but not revolting enough to explain the circus' reactions

Hollyphant
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite strong enough, can't explain the escape, too adorably cute for the circus scene

Hunefer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead; due to paralysing aura can't explain the circus scene.

Illithid
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, can't explain the escape

Illithid Elder Brain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Has good explanations for the Escape and Circus, but not quite enough strength for the Tower (while still having good defences). Does not have teeth or eyes. Requires a pool of water to live in.

Illurien (MM5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female, Insufficient strength

Ilsidaur
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demonic (difficulty explaining alignment, probably no parent), difficulty explaining the circus scene. Specific stats linked are too recent for MitD (older versions may exist, but have not been presented)

Incubus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not powerful enough, difficulty changing alignments, can't explain the circus scene

Infernal (SRD or ELH 164)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immune to mind affecting spells, unclear how it accounts for the escape scene (it's greater teleport is self-only). Can animate dead, which RC claims MitD cannot.

Intellect Devourer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength too low. No explanation for the Escape

Jabberwock
    Spoiler
    Show
    Difficult to gauge if it fits or not, since the jabberwock is never really described. However, being unique, it doesn't fit the comment of MitD being "one of these". D&D versions tend to be too weak, and lack teleportation.

Juiblex
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • High strength.
    • High DR
    • Teleport without error
    • Appearance matches the Circus scene and there is even the fact that some people get obsessed with Juiblex and become thralls to explain the bit about beauty.
    • Eats everything. Yeah. Everything.
    • High knowledge skills that would explain the MitD knowing unexpected things. i.e. the ritual.

Cons:
    • Unique creature (likely, his children wouldn't have the above powers)
    • No reason, assuming the BGH were not confused, for it to be surprising he can speak common.
    • Attacks are always acidic in nature - does not match the Tower scene
    • Too many eyes, no teeth
    • Alignment issues (see section 1e)

King-Kong descendant
    Spoiler
    Show
    Problem addressing strength and size at the same time. Cannot explain the escape scene.

Klicker
    Spoiler
    Show
    No explanation for the escape, didn't exist before comic #100

Klurichir
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several versions exists: the one that are strong enough cant explain the escape, and viceversa. Demonic, so has some issues with Mit'd morality.

Kyton, Eremite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape, since it can only self-teleport. Created after strip #100

Lammassu, Celestial
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, can cast cleric spells.

Lammassu, Greater
    Spoiler
    Show
    The 2e 'Greater Lammasu' looked promising, but the 3 or 3.5 versions that have been reviewed fell short across the board.

Laogzed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demigod: can be mind controlled

Lava Children
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the circus scene (neither ugly nor particularly strange), unclear if it can explain the escape

Lethus Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    publication date 7 years after strip #100. Otherwise, fits the FBS rather nicely, but not the general fluff of MitD

Li Lung (Earth Dragon) (OA)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Yellow eyes
    • Reasonably strong, potentially challenging, and correctly sized up to young adult
    • Damage reduction
    • Earthquake AND a powerful roar
    • Plane Shift

Cons:
    • plane shift doesn't explain the escape well
    • Personality (sleepiness, constant desire to consume, etc) doesn't match typical li lung's description
    • As a young adult, it is not powerful enough

Marut
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct, has a vendetta against undead, embodiment of a morality plane

Myrmixicus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Teleport self+objects only (although with a very generous weight limit). 33 strength. Demonic looking, which might not quite explain the circus scene. Embodiment of a morality plane. Might not have the ability to breath air, since it's a aquatic demon.

Nabassu (WotC book previews or Fiendish Codex 1)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not particularly strong, can only teleport themselves, and kill any level-1s that look at them, thus having difficulty explaining its success as a circus act.

Neh-Thalggu (SRD or ELH 206)
    Spoiler
    Show
    incorporeal - meaning it has 0 STR and can't explain the punching of Miko or her horse (it could have bitten them, but not hit them)

Neo-otyugh (2e MM?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape. Unclear strength (otyugh is definitely too weak). Too many eyes (3).

Neothelid (SRD or XPH 204)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Fairly high strength (30)
    • Psionic Teleport at will
    • Vomit-inducing, since it's a gigantic worm with tentacles
    • Heavy eating
    • Rarely communicates in a meaningful way
    • Its ability to Trace Teleport would explain how it knew where to send O'Chul and V

Cons:
    • Difficulty explaining the earthquake and the stomp, lacking legs.
    • Defences not that great
    • No eyes
    • Gargantuan

Nessie the Loch Ness Monster
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too big for the umbrella, can't explain the escape scene, difficulty existing in dry land

Nightmare Beast (MM2 161)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Fairly strong
    • spends most of its time looking for food, and then sleeping
    • Dimension door
    • Can't talk

Cons:
    • Not defensively impressive - Miko would not have had trouble hurting it.
    • Dimension door doesn't explain the escape well.
    • Red eyes
    • Everyone in the city should've been having terrible nightmares

Nightscape Battlemage
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the circus scene or the tower scene. Unsurprising it can talk

Nycaloth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insufficient strength, no good explanation for the circus scene or the tower scene.

Oni, Go-Zu and Me-Zu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several varieties, none really strong enough, and with no way to explain the escape.

Onyx Worm
    Spoiler
    Show
    not strong enough, can't explain the escape.

Ophan Angel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good stats, but hundreds of eyes, and no good explanation for the escape.

Outsider, The (H.P. Lovecraft)
    Spoiler
    Show
    undead

Paizo Golem
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct. Can't explain the escape scene or the circus scene. Created 5 years after strip #100

Phaerimm (Monsters of Faerun 70)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very, very ugly, access to wish through sorcerer levels, but not strong enough for the tower scene, and has no eyes.

Phasm
    Spoiler
    Show
    Telepathic, so surprising it can speak. Not strong enough, can't explain the escape.

Pit Fiend (SRD or MM 57)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Strong, good defences
    • Highly skilled in Knowledge Arcane, -Religion, -Planes and in Spellcraft which would explain how the MitD could identify the ritual with merely a glance.
    • Access to Wish

Cons:
    • Pit Fiends probably don't have children and aren't child-like. (From Roy's Archon's words here, it seems OotS-verse has normal "advancement" of celestial beings. On the other hand, two demons have mentioned parents)
    • It is not surprising it can talk.
    • It can reanimate the dead
    • Circus scene presents two problems: demonic creatures are not difficult to recognise (in a broad sense, if not the specific type), and the reaction one would expect is fear, not vomiting.
    • Rich's comments in W&XPs seem to indicate that morality planes creatures can't change alignments more than slightly.

Planetar Angel (SRD or MM 11)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Has cleric levels

Pooka
    Spoiler
    Show
    No good explanations for the escape or the tower, being of the trickster fairy archetype

Prismasaurus
    Spoiler
    Show
    No explanation for the escape, immune to mind-affecting "attacks" (which may or may not include what Xykon did to MitD). In the circus scene, people aren't being blinded or hit by prismatic sprays

Psammead
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can grant wishes, but is not strong, is too small and being damage by water is something that does not match well with MitD's life in the rainforest. Also, Psammeads cannot grant their own wishes, so it cannot explain the earthquake or the tower scene.

Qlippoth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, the Augnagar: explains circus and tower, but can't explain the escape. Immune to mind control.

Quaraphon Bully(MM3)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, no explanation for the Escape, too many eyes.

Reality warper (e.g. Superman's Fifth-Dimensional Imp)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Their reality revision power would explain the escape scene, but not the tower scene. A reality warper can cause anything they desire to become true, but in the tower scene, the exact opposite of MitD's desires (to hit as lightly as possible) happened.

Sarrukh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strange enough for the circus scene. Not strong enough for the Tower Scene. Not surprising it can speak.

SCP-682
    Spoiler
    Show
    Published in 2007, didn't exist during comic #100. Can't explain the escape (except by an undefined unrestricted ability to adapt). The personalities are very different. Arguably too powerful to be MitD.

Shade
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape, nor the tower scene. It only fits the circus scene if it is a shade with no light sensitivity. Don't eat, breath or age. Their lack of metabolism means they also do not emit odors. The best fitting version is also a homebrew which didn't exist when MitD was picked.

Shadow Dragon (Draconomicon 191)
    Spoiler
    Show

Pros:
    • It can cast Dimension Door as a supernatural ability once per day.
    • Its size is Large as a young adult and adult, and Medium if it is juvenile.
    • It has damage resistance 5 when it becomes a young adult.
    • It's Shadowy and gets 9/10ths concealment from this....

Cons:
    • Not incredibly strong
    • Doesn't explain the earthquake or the escape

Shadowcloak Elder
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow Blend doesn't match MitD's instructions to stay in the shadows (other than in Xykon's tower), not quite strong enough, can't talk, can't explain the escape.

Shedu, Greater (FF)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough. Unclear what its stats are in 3.5. Not surprising it can talk.

Shoggoth (CoC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unclear if it can explain the escape, it may drive the public of the circus insane.

Shirokinukatsukami
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not enough strength (20), can't explain the escape due to only self-teleporting

Siabrie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insufficient strength, female, beautiful, can't account for the escape.

Slime Child
    Spoiler
    Show
    Published after #100

Smiling Medina
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrewed after strip 100. Not strong enough for the tower scene.

Snark
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape scene, and most likely cannot explain the earthquake or tower scenes (although the descriptions are vague)

Solar (SRD or MM 12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cons:
    • Solars don't really have children and aren't child-like.
    • It is not surprising it can talk.
    • It can reanimate the dead

Sphinx (SRD or MM 232)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really strong enough; the suggested idea was a kind of rock sphinx, but that can't be found in the stat'ed lists.

Starspawn (aka Son of Cthulhu)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drives people looking at him insane, thus having difficulty explaining its success as a circus act. Strength high, but not impressively so.

Stench Kow
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a CR 3-4, it is not a credible threat to the order. Can't explain the escape or the tower scenes.

Sun Wukong
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talks, no father, not part of a group, vegetarian.

Tarasque, original mythological version
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably would be the Tarrasque in OotS. Can't explain the escape

Titan (SRD or MM 242)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: High Strength, mythologically, the Titan Uranus ate his children.
    Cons: The only way to rescue O'Chul is by using Maze, which fits badly. It wouldn't be surprising it can talk.

Titan, Elder
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not surprising it can talk. Can't explain the circus.

Troll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not strong enough, can't explain the escape, has difficulty explaining the circus (trolls are fairly common creatures, not something that unrecognisable).

Truly Horrid Umber Hulk (MM 248)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fairly strong, confusing gaze might explain the circus' reactions. However, doesn't have teleportation abilities, or earthquake.

Tulani Eledrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too pretty and elf-looking for the circus scene. Not quite strong enough. Can cast clerical spells.

Two-headed Cyclops
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two heads, but only one eye each, lazy & fairly ugly, but can't explain the escape and are not that strong. They can also speak, but only elven, not common.

Ulgurstasta Sorcerer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead. Eats (swallows whole) bodies to produce undead, so should have been able to help RC. Gargantuan. Defences too weak to explain the Tower scene or Belkar's attack.

Ultroloth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demonic (morality problems), insufficient strength & defences, can't explain the escape

Uluu Thalongh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not surprising to be found in a jungle/rainforest. Unclear if it accounts for the escape.

Umbral Blot (Blackball)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct, too weak (Str 10) for the tower scene. Can't explain the earthquake's stomp. Appearance doesn't match circus reactions.

Umpleby (1st ed FF)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the circus scene, or the escape.

Unbodied
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape nor the tower

Utukku
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insufficient strength. 2nd ed version has poor defences, 3rd ed. version can't explain the escape.

Vasuthant (MM3 182)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead. Can't explain the escape

Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show
    Created for the comic. Doesn't eat meat. Not strong enough. Explanation that turns a wizard into MitD by means of the Snarl is completely unlikely and unsupported by evidence

Vermiurge (SRD or ELH 226)
    Spoiler
    Show
    revolting sight, but can't explain the escape, can speak and is immune to mind-affecting spells.

Velociraptor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape or the tower scene

Void Yai Oni
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape

Warforged (Eberron or MM3 190)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Construct

Wendigo (FF 186)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, fairly ugly, famously hungry creatures. However, no magic, and thus doesn't explain the escape.

Wharlysk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lives in the rainforest. Huge. No explanation for the escape. Not strong enough

Wild Things
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cannot explain the escape

Wolf-in-sheep's-clothing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape. Can't explain the circus, since he explicitly does nothing during his act, so all the public would see is a tree stump with maybe a dead animal on top. Can't explain the tower scene (STR 17, CR 8)

Wumpus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't explain the escape.

Yali
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strong, can psionic teleport, but cannot explain the circus scene.

Yeti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very strong, presumed ugly even though no-one ever manages to see him. However, no magic, and thus doesn't explain the escape.

Xor-Yost (Planar Handbook 122)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't explain the escape

Zodar (FF 199)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros:
    • Very strong
    • Can cast wish once in a lifetime, and any spell three times in a lifetime
    • Human-sized
    • Invulnerable to all damage except bludgeoning explains his resistance to Belkar's and Miko's attacks.

Cons:
    • Does not explain the circus scene, since it basically looks like a man in a black armor
    • The official version of Zodar is a construct, which would discard him; there is, however, an unofficial version that retains the 2.0 version that was monstrous, and that existed before the official one.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 06:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Section 4: Thread Information

Section 4a: Thread Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a curated thread, and as such obeys the following rules:

Curator
    Spoiler
    Show
    I, Grey Wolf, am the curator of the thread.
    Responsibilities:
    • Maintain the thread
    • Remember arguments and canon
    • Answer polite questions about MitD and the thread

What I can't do
    • I have no official authority
    • I am not a moderator
    • I cannot ban discussion of issues I consider settled
    • I cannot prevent certain topics from being discussed (but I can publicly withdraw from them); however, see also section on Inappropriate Topics below
    • I cannot prevent any given poster from participating (but can Ignore them)
    • I cannot make executive decisions on what is or is not included in the first post outside the guidelines stated in this post.

Adding information to the first post
    Spoiler
    Show
    To add something to the first post needs two positive votes to do so. "Positive votes" means two more people in favour of the idea than against it.

In normal operation, that essentially means convincing me to add it. The original proponent and me make the 2 votes, assuming no-one objects. If I disagree, the proponent will then need two other posters to agree with him/her (assuming no-one else but me disagrees). And so on: if 3 people are opposed, five need to be in favour, etc.

Why not simple majority? Because that is perilously close to a draw. With only one vote up or down, someone might come in a day later and vote against the idea would mean that we open the door to having to continually add and remove things from the first post - I want to prevent that as much as possible. This way, a vote against the change coming after the change still leaves a simple majority in favour of it (if would take two votes against the change after the fact for it to be reverted).

The only exception to the rule is the refreshes. When I do a refresh of the first post (usually at the end of every page divisible by 10), I will not require to get anyone to agree with me; instead, I will publish a list of all changes as I make them, and when it is over, two objections will be enough to remove a change. For those doing the math at home, that is only one positive vote to remove it (I'd naturally be opposed, since I just added it), but since it got added only with one vote (mine), it's fair to remove it also with only one vote.

For major reworking of the first post, such as the issue with the definition of FBS, removing or adding whole sections, etc, it will need to be put to general vote. To request a vote to make a change to the OP, a proponent must obtain the backing of two other participants. The vote will then be held when the curator can set it up, or at refresh, whichever comes soonest.

Inappropriate Topics
    Spoiler
    Show
    The following topics are considered by consensus inappropriate for the thread. Note that no mod has weighted on either, so the easiest way forward if you want to discuss them is to first get mod approval:
    • Intellectual Property ("copyrighted") creatures not belonging to WotC. Due to section "Inappropriate Topics", subsection "Professional Advice" of board rules, discussion of laws is verboten in this forum. Since the biggest objection to copyrighted creatures is whether or not Rich would be legally allowed to use them, every such creature proposed quickly devolved into a discussion of applicable laws, which is not allowed. For the purposes of this thread, any creature created after Mickey Mouse (1923) is currently under copyright in the US.
      • Please also see this post explaining the rationale behind the blankiet ban on all copyright and copyright discussion, and especially the section on fair use.
    • MitD's personal alignment: not that of his species, but his personally. Consensus is that his alignment cannot be tied to that of his species (see section 1e). It is a separate enough topic that it should have its own thread. If V can have a thread for gender and a separate one for alignment, MitD can have one for his species (this one) and a separate one for his alignment. At least until the mods say otherwise.

Section 4b: Voting Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Major changes to the first post may be put to consensus vote. In those cases, the following rules will be followed:
    • Semi-public vote: votes will be PM'ed to me, the curator, to prevent the thread from being spammed by multiple short "vote for X" posts. I will compile all votes in the original voting post for verification and record keeping. To prevent fraud, please be ready to reaffirm your vote if someone else PMs you to ask about it.
    • Multiple votes per person: you can vote for more than one option. Do so in order of preference.
    • Vote counting: will not be first past the post; instead, alternative vote system will be used.
    • Vote length: Until a day passes without anyone else voting.
    • Voting is binding: if you vote for extra work, be prepared to do the extra work. If extra work is voted for, but no-one does it, the option will be discarded and runner-up will be done instead.
    • Voting options: If you feel the options are not to your liking, you can vote for a new option by describing it in your post. Give it a letter for ease of voting.
    • Changing Votes: You can change your vote at any time before the end of the voting.

Section 4c: FAQ
    Spoiler
    Show

Do I have to read all of the first post before jumping in?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, but you should exercise good sense and read the sections most likely to be related to what you are about to post.

If you want to propose a creature, scan the proposed creatures list to see if it is already there, and read both section 3a (to see how your idea stacks up against the current "best of the crop") and the frequently proposed (in case your idea is already there - in this last case, you need to address all the cons listed in your first post).

If you want to propose an explanation for a MitD characteristic, check section 2 for it, and see what the general consensus of the thread for the characteristic is. If it is a scene, rather than a characteristic, you may have read the whole section to see where that scene is involved.

For other situations, reading section 4 and this FAQ is a good start. If in doubt, you can ask me, the curator, for guidance to the best sections to read.

When is the first post updated?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Updates of details that strike me as important, typos, small corrections and other quick things can happen at any time. But, time permitting, every ten pages (at the end of page 10, 20, 30 & 40) I do "first post refreshes" where I add all new proposed ideas, and I may add entire new sections. See rules for the refreshes in section 4a.

When is a proposal added to the first post?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proposals are added during first post refreshes (every 10 pages, unless I am very busy). For a proposal to be added, it needs to meet the following:
    • Be minimally defended. If just the name is mentioned, it won't get added
    • Not meant as a joke. If it was meant as one, it will only be added if I find it exceptionally funny (or with two positive votes).
    • Not retracted by the author. If the author retracts it and no-one else is in favour, it won't get added.

Why is my idea not a FBS?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably because it doesn't meet the requirements which by current consensus are:
    1) Has a plausible explanation for the Escape
    2) Has a plausible explanation for the Tower (both his attack and his defence)
    3) Has a plausible explanation for the Circus (both his act, and the reactions)
    4) Isn't one of the impossible categories (unless it is an exception)
    5) Existed before strip #100 in a form accessible to Rich.
    6) Size no bigger than Huge ("fits in the box")
    7) Is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (SoD)

Wouldn't a non-D&D copyrighted creature be legal under fair use or parody?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A detailed answer would count as legal advice, and can't therefore be further discussed (see Section 4a - Inappropriate topics). Thread consensus is that neither fair use nor parody are applicable to MitD, but agree or disagree, discussion of IP non-D&D monsters is not allowed in this thread per the board rules.

Can't a non-D&D copyrighted creature be discussed, ignoring the legal status and only discussing its pros and cons?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In theory, yes, but in practice the biggest con is its legal status, especially if the creature is a half-decent fit. The fact of the matter is that in practice, any non-D&D IP creature quickly descends into a legal discussion.

Isn't every idea guessable? I mean, if someone just guessed it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Guess" has two meanings. One is "random chance", like throwing a dart at a board. The other is "deduce". Rich intended the second one, as he clarified when he says "I trust that someone will figure it out eventually". He is dropping clues, and expects us to be able to eventually figure it out, presumably once we have all the clues.

Since you haven't found the solution yet, is it possible you are doing something wrong?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not necessarily. Ideas come to this thread slowly. For example, our current best fits were not suggested until late in the second thread and early third, and the explanations for the escape only included the stray dimensional lock as of start of the fifth thread. Besides, there is no way to know if we have found the solution. Balloons won't fall from the ceiling the moment someone says the correct species; for all we know, we have already found the creature Rich thought of.

Haven't you checked all D&D creatures by now?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not even close. There are literally thousand of official creatures, and beyond counting for third-party creatures published in all manner splatbooks. To illustrate just how deep the search space goes, consider that Crusher, in the space of an afternoon, checked one new source and found 5 new better-than-average candidates, and then repeated the feat a few pages later. There remains a lot of material to explore.

Does MitD have to be a D&D creature?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, not at all. Rich has never said that MitD is a D&D creature, only that, whatever he is, he didn't make his species up.

Does MitD have to be a 3.5 D&D creature?
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he was updated to 3.5, yes, since conversion is automatic. But if he was never updated, he could be a 1st Ed or 2ed creature (although the latter would need a reason why he wasn't trapped in Dorukan's Dungeon with the rest of never-updated creatures).

Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 08:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Tracking MitD guesses

We've been thinking about the MitD's identity for quite some time now. The unmasking is probably not nigh, but its definitely getting closer. Since these threads sometimes run for a long time (a recent one ran for almost 2 years), its entirely possible the great unveiling will occur before this thread finishes so its time to get formal about it.

This spot will track the guesses of anyone who cares to make a guess, along with when they made the guess (and I'll probably track people's guess history as well, unless people object). If you want to make a guess, you can either post it in the thread or message me. I'm pretty thorough about reading the thread, but I miss things so feel free to remind me.

For now, I'll organize them chronologically by guess but I may switch to alphabetical. Date is whatever day the forum tells me it was when the note was posted. Also, I'm already getting tired of typing out "Athasian Nightmare Beast", so it will be abbreviated ANB. You can guess up to three candidates.

List of guesses
    DaggerPen - Protean 5/21/16, Protean > Hunting Horror 5/28/16, Protean > ANB > Hunting Horror 4/29/2018
    Ranagrande - Extremely heavily templated Giant Space Hamster 5/22/16
    Grey_Wolf_c - Protean > Zodar > Aboleth 5/22/16
    Kish - Infernal > Slaad 5/22/16, Infernal > Slaad > Protean 7/17/16, Slaad > Protean 8/31/18
    Ron Miel - Púca 5/22/16
    Sniffnoy - Uvuudaum 5/22/16
    TraceHyde - Protean > Barghest > Something copywrited 5/23/16
    Magesmiley - Prismatic Dragon (very young or young) 5/23/16
    Michaeler - heavily templated Protean 5/23/16, young Protean = something Snarl-related (perhaps a Protean) 4/20/2018
    RWeird - Protean > Neh-Thalggu > Uvuudaum 5/23/16
    nihil8r - Glabrezu 5/24/16
    Yanisa - ANB 5/27/16
    Crusher - ANB > Prismasaurus > Glabrezu 5/27/16, ANB > Glabrezu > Neh-Thalggu 6/22/2016, ANB > Glabrezu > Slaad 1/11/17, Slaad > Glabrezu 1/23/17
    HarryMcB - Protean 5/28/16
    Lord Bingo - Zodar 5/29/16
    Lombard - Couatl 5/31/16, Li Lung (templated) 7/11/18, Li Lung with Wilder levels 4/10/19
    Quartz - ANB 5/31/16, ANB = Uvuudaum 4/25/20
    Halfeye - Boojum 6/1/16, Black Hole > Boojum 7/24/18, Nightcrawler 3/19/19
    Ruck - Protean > ANB > Snorlax 6/2/16, Protean > Uvuudaum > ANB 12/3/19
    GM_3826 - Protean > ANB > Uvuudaum 6/2/16
    dancrilis - Grey Render 6/3/16
    Vendanna - Half-dragon 6/3/16, Half-dragon/demon 11/15/17
    IrishMusician - Protean 6/22/16
    thereaper - Protean 6/22/16
    ReaderAt2046 - Protean > Zodar > Carbosilicate Amorph 6/22/16, Protean > ANB > Carbosilicate Amorph 7/17/16, ANB > Carbosilicate Amorph 11/17/17
    theinsulabot - ANB 6/22/16
    Onyavar - Protean 6/22/16
    Dark Matter - Protean 6/22/16
    Humanist Geek - Protean > ANB > something templated 6/22/16
    littlebum2002 - Protean 6/23/16, Slaad > Protean 8/25/2017
    voiceofreason - the author 7/1/16
    SirKazum - Slaad 7/12/16
    Bestigle - Protean 7/12/16
    ShiningWrath - ANB 7/17/16, Dread Linnorm (runty, minus a head) 4/28/18
    Qwertystop - Protean > Zodar 7/17/16
    Hardcore - Imentesh (its a kind of Protean) 7/17/16
    Darth V - Protean 7/20/16
    Peelee - Protean 7/20/16
    Throknor - Uvuudaum > Glabrezu 7/28/16
    Knight.Anon - Young Titan 8/3/16
    Rosstin - Protean 11/22/16
    Outliar - ANB 11/23/16
    Darth Paul - Slaad 1/20/17, Slaad > ANB 11/19/17, ANB > Uvuudaum 1/12/19, ANB > Protean, 1/13/19, Protean 3/31/19
    Kythia - Slaad 8/9/17
    Sniccups - Slaad = ANB 10/15/17
    Thermophille - Slaad (White > Black) 11/6/17
    Monation - Protean 11/15/17
    Zenzis - Glabrezu 11/15/17
    Shashakiro - ANB 11/15/17, Slaad 8/28/18
    Clockshock - ANB 11/20/17
    Djinnocide - Enveloper 7/6/18
    Jaxzan Proditor- Protean > Zodar 7/11/18
    godsflunky - Protean (because of the nice character-development resonances) 7/11/18
    woweedd - Protean = Zodar 7/12/18
    redgoblin - Hephaestus - 7/18/18
    Father Miles - ANB > Protean > Snorlax 7/19/18
    3Power - Ha-Naga 7/28/18, Ha-Naga > anything not on FBS list > Zodar 3/20/19
    Calavera - Zeus 8/15/18
    Synesthesy - “pure” Black Slaad 9/16/18
    Qzin - Snarl, Jr 9/29/18
    SpoonR - Baby Deity 9/29/18
    Riarra - Slaad > Protean 9/30/18
    EmperorSarda - Kandra/Mistwraith 10/22/18
    thelivingmonkey - Glabrezu 10/25/18, Protean > Glabrezu > Snorlax 3/13/19
    Mightymosy - Something not yet guessed > Protean > Carbosilicate Amorph 1/8/19, Something not yet guessed > Protean 3/31/19
    NobleCuriosity - Protean > ANB 1/12/19
    The Aboleth - ANB 3/5/19, Protean > ANB 12/5/19
    Son of a Lich! - Protean 3/7/19
    Mariele - Protean = ANB 3/14/19
    Squire Doodad - Protean > Slaad 3/21/19
    Jineon - 9-times blinded Beholder 3/29/19
    Sir_Norbert - Uvuudaum 3/29/19
    cinderrain - Protean 3/29/19
    KrankenWagon - ANB > Black Slaad 3/29/19
    Angrith - ANB > Haunting Horror 3/30/19
    Mad Humanist - Protean 3/30/19
    locksmith of io - Protean > ANB 3/31/19
    gooddragon1 - Galeb Duhr 6/18/19
    BasilisksSoldier - ANB - 8/30/19
    pwning doodes - Uvuudaum 9/25/19
    Fish - thesaurus 10/1/19
    Schroeswald - Red Cloak's niece 10/1/19
    Rollin - Protean 12/5/19
    DLcygnet - Protean 12/10/19
    Scizor - Protean 12/16/19
    Iskar Jarak - Protean 4/1/20
    trtl - Protean > Gazebo 4/4/20
    Emanick - Frankenstein 4/5/20

I will also compile a list of the top vote-getters, which I will update infrequently. If you have 1 guess, it gets 1 point. 2 ordered guesses split 0.6/0.4 and 3 ordered guesses split 0.5/0.3/0.2. 2 non-ordered guesses "It is either X or Y, with no favorite" will be awarded 0.5/0.5 and 3 non-ordered guesses will go 0.33/0.33/0.33. If you guess more than 3, I'll discard 4th and after if possible. If not possible ("its one of these 5...") then I'll exclude the entire guess.

In the ancient past, when dinosaurs roamed the forums, I used a slightly different scoring system. However, it had a slight improportionality in points awarded based on numbers of monsters guessed. Over time it slowly started bugging me, so I eventually fixed it.

Last updated 3/7/19

Its been six months with a smattering of changes so it felt like time for an update. This feeling turned out to be wrong as essentially nothing has changed since then. The Protean remains the very strong leader and the ANB remains second over the Slaad. The ANB's hold on 2nd had been a little tenuous, but it's support has firmed up lately and its now solidly in 2nd. The Slaad (I grouped votes for White, Black, and any kind of transmutation between forms) may have lost a little ground on the ANB but its hold on 3rd remains firm.

Pretty much everything below third remained reasonably static, at least in the sense that I don't really keep track of whether Aboleth or Enveloper is currently in 8th or whatever. Worth noting is that, as with last time, if I took all of the generic "dragon" suggestions (prismatic dragon, half-dragon, Linnorm, etc) and added them together they'd have a score of 3.0 and be narrowly in 4th. Similarly, all the generic "deity" suggestions (Hephestus, Zeus, etc) combined also have a score of 3.0 so they'd be tied for 4th. Perhaps surprisingly, all the generic "Snarl" suggestions only have a combined score of 1.5. I hadn't looked at its total in a long time, but given how that's kind of a running joke, I'd have thought it'd be higher.

The ranking currently goes:

#1 - Protean (or some variant of Protean) - 20.5
    #2 - ANB - 9.8
    #3 - Slaad - 7.9
    #4 - Glabrezu - 2.8
    #5 - Zodar - 2.6
    Last edited by Crusher; 2020-04-27 at 10:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to toss my hat into the ring. Put me down for the ANB as vote 1 and Haunting Horror as vote 2. Protean just doesn't feel right for the escape scene since the Giant talks about the MitD discovering his own powers. Shifting shape to gain teleport, to my mind at least, is borrowing a power, not finding your own.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    the last thread ran for almost 2 years
    Might want to update this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrith View Post
    I'm going to toss my hat into the ring. Put me down for the ANB as vote 1 and Haunting Horror as vote 2. Protean just doesn't feel right for the escape scene since the Giant talks about the MitD discovering his own powers. Shifting shape to gain teleport, to my mind at least, is borrowing a power, not finding your own.
    Consciously shifting into something particular is a power.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For all new readers of this thread, I will be including an alternate list of MitD contenders to the FBS/Proposed Ideas list that exists in the OP. This list does not contain any creatures past the cut-off date, nor any non-D&D creatures, including those from call of cthulu, pathfinder, or homebrew. It is my hope that this list will provide a more accurate summary of what the MitD could be. It also does not take Creature Size into account, as it has been suggested on multiple occasions that the MitD is smaller than it usually would be.

Spoiler: Vetted Candidates
    Show

Spoiler: Glabrezu
    Show
    Has wish 1/month
    Can only grant other peoples' wishes and they have to bring suffering to the world.
    No Earthquake
    31 STR
    Ugly with high charisma.
    Telepathy rules a little unclear, but doesn't appear to be able to speak common.
    Can speak other languages
    Demons don't have children and parents.
    Is an embodiment of pure evil. (Always Chaotic Evil)
    CR weaker than the order, not something Xykon would consider powerful.
    Damage Reduction
    Two eyes.
    Not Really beast like

Spoiler: Hagunemnon(Protean)
    Show
    No wish.
    Access to greater teleport, but only via complicated borrowing of other creatures' extraordinary abilities
    No Earthquake
    53 STR
    Ugly with high CHA
    By default, doesn't have two eyes. Constantly maintaining the same form goes against fluff and stretches believability.
    Speak and understand all languages.
    Parents and Children
    Mind reading might explain some knowledge, but no foreshadowing of mind-reading ability.
    Has DR
    Hard to consider beastlike unless it's holding it's form that way.
    High CR
    Always Chaotic Neutral

Spoiler: White/Black Slaad
    Show
    36/42 STR
    No wish, but has greater teleport.
    No Earthquake
    Speaks language, including common.
    Can be mind controlled
    Ugly with high CHA
    In oots-verse at least, has parent/children.
    Would have to be very old.
    Slaad in general have appeared elsewhere in OOTS, and the eyes don't match up.
    Damage Reduction
    Beastlike (Monstrous Frog)
    High CR
    Always/Usually Chaotic Neutral

Spoiler: Uvuudaum
    Show
    39 STR
    No wish, but has greater teleport.
    No Earthquake
    Ugly with high CHA
    Speaks telepathically.
    No eyes or mouth
    Spellcraft and various Knowledge ranks.
    Confusion aura might tie into circus scene.
    Damage Reduction
    Has the general shape of a beast, even though its legs are arms.
    Parent/Child?
    High CR
    Usually Neutral Evil

Spoiler: Ha-naga
    Show
    27 STR
    Wish
    Earthquake
    Horrifying abberation with beautiful human face.
    Not listed as speaking any language.
    Lack of arms suggests difficulty pulling.
    Knowledge(Arcana/Religion/History) and Spellcraft ranks.
    Damage Reduction
    Two eyes
    Beast-like
    High CR
    Usually Chaotic Evil

Spoiler: Grey Linnorm
    Show

High CR
    Access to Miracle
    Earthquake
    24 Strength but can launch people 70 feet.
    Ugly with semi-high CHA (17)
    Fluff says young ones are rarely seen and the species might be dying out.
    Has spellcraft and Arcana ranks.
    USUALLY chaotic evil.
    Dragon evolutionary offshoot, so Beast-like.
    Two eyes
    Doesn't speak common.
    Speaks Infernal and Draconic

Spoiler: Under Evaluation
    Show

Anaxim (Construct, No teleportation, speaks common)
    Astral Dreadnaught (Eyes are wrong, no teleportation)
    Atropal (Doesn't eat or Sleep)
    Barghest(Dimension door is highest possible teleportation)
    Braxat (CR 9, only dimension door)
    Cerebrilith (SR)
    Corpse Tearer Linnorm (MM2 141)
    Dao (MoP)
    True Dragon (SRD)
    Dread Linnorm (MM2 141)
    Efreet (SRD)
    Epic Dragon (SRD or ELH 181)
    Fiendwurm (MM2 99) (Borderline No Escape Explanation)
    Formian Myrmarch (SRD)
    Genie/Djinn (SRD or MM 114)
    Ghour (MoF)
    Gibbering Orb (SRD or ELH 191) (Borderline No Escape Explanation)
    Gloom (SRD)(Borderline No Escape Explanation)
    Grey Slaad (MM 231)
    Guardinal, Leonal (SRD)
    Half-Giant (SRD or XPH 200)
    Hellfire Wyrm (MM2 125)
    Hoary Hunter (SRD or ELH 197)
    Hunefer(SRD)
    (Under Construction)

Spoiler: Monsters with Major Issues
    Show
    Spoiler: Monsters with no inherent Escape Scene explanation besides magic items and HD/class levels
    Show

Aboleth Mage (SRD)
    Brachyurus (SRD)
    Brood Keeper (MM3)
    Centaur (SRD)
    Chichimec (SRD)
    Couatl (SRD)
    Disenchanter (FF)
    Displacer Beast (MM 60)
    Earth Elemental (SRD or MM 97)
    Fhoimoren Giant (?)
    Fihyr, Greater (MM2)
    Gelatinous Cube (SRD)
    Geriviar(MM3)
    Gray Render (SRD or MM 138)
    Hollyphant(BoED)
    Illithid (MM)
    (Under Construction)

Spoiler: Published too late to be MitD
    Show
    Athasian Nightmare Beast (year late, never officially released. Exists only on defunct forums.)
    Alhoon (Lords of Madness is too late.)
    Angel of Decay (Libris Mortis is too late)
    Astral Dragon (Dragon 344 is too late)
    Brainstealer Dragon (Dragon 337)
    Concordant Killer (MM4)
    Ephemeral Hangman (ToM 161)
    Essence Reaver (?)
    Goristro(FC1)
    Grootslang(5e?)
    (Under Construction)

Spoiler: Specific D&D/OOTS related entities
    Show

Aurumach Rilmani
    Bauhei
    Crystalle
    Giant Snowman
    Girard (Member of the Order of the Scribble)
    Hephaestus
    (Under Construction)

Spoiler: 3rd edition Source Needed
    Show
    Andeloid
    Baku
    Black Troll
    Cherub
    Chiyou (Chinese mythical figure, Has D&D stats?)
    Coeurl
    Draknor
    Draeden
    Enveloper (1e)
    General Ox
    Giant Space Hamster
    (Under Construction)

In addition, this is a list of all official D&D 3rd edition products that the MitD could be hiding in.
    Spoiler: Strip 100 came out Sep 2, 2004, so no creature first published after that time can be considered.
    Show

Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I July 2, 2000
    Dungeon Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II September 1, 2000
    Monster Manual: Core Rulebook III October 1, 2000
    Monster Manual II September 1, 2002
    Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I v.3.5 July 1, 2003
    Dungeon Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II v.3.5 July 1, 2003
    Monster Manual: Core Rulebook III v.3.5 July 1, 2003
    Monster Manual III April 1, 2003

Arms and Equipment Guide March 1, 2003 Mounts and Transport Creatures. Includes a few CR 20 but none fit.
    Book of Challenges: Dungeon Rooms, Puzzles, and Traps June 1, 2002
    Book of Exalted Deeds October 1, 2003
    Book of Vile Darkness October 1, 2002
    Complete Divine May 1, 2004 (Bogun only, doesn't fit.)
    Complete Warrior December 1, 2003
    Defenders of the Faith May 1, 2001
    Deities and Demigods February 1, 2002 Olympian, Egyptian, and Asgardian Monsters only, none fit.
    Draconomicon November 1, 2003
    Enemies and Allies October 1, 2001 - You'd think so, but no. Just standard monsters with class levels.
    Epic Level Handbook July 1, 2002
    Expanded Psionics Handbook April 1, 2004
    Fiend Folio April 1, 2003
    Ghostwalk June 1, 2003 None fit.
    Hero Builder's Guidebook December 1, 2000
    Manual of the Planes September 1, 2001
    Masters of the Wild February 1, 2002 Dire and Legendary animals, none fit.
    Miniatures Handbook October 1, 2003
    Oriental Adventures October 1, 2001
    Planar Handbook July 1, 2004
    Psionics Handbook March 1, 2001
    Races of Stone August 1, 2004 192 Races only, none fit.
    Savage Species February 1, 2003 Small section, most of this is templates and monster classes (as well as prestiege classes for monsters.
    Song and Silence December 1, 2001
    Stronghold Builder's Guidebook May 1, 2002
    Sword and Fist January 1, 2001
    Tome and Blood July 1, 2001
    Unearthed Arcana February 1, 2004 Races only, none fit.

Faerun:
    Faiths and Pantheons May 2002
    Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2001
    Lords of Darkness 2001
    Magic of Faerûn 2001 Very few
    Monsters of Faerûn 2001
    Player's Guide to Faerûn March 2004
    Races of Faerûn March 2003 A few.
    Serpent Kingdoms July 2004
    Silver Marches 2002 Very few
    Unapproachable East May 2003
    Underdark October 2003

Eberron:
    Eberron Campaign Setting June 2004

Dragonlance:
    Dragonlance Campaign Settling, August 2003
    Bestiary of Krynn, 2004 Revised 2006
    Age of Mortals 2003 (Races only)
    Towers of High Sorcery 2004

Magazines
    Dragon Magazine: 274-322
    Dungeon Magazine: 82 to 113

Also coming soon is a list of creatures capable of performing Wish, Miracle, or Reality Revision.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Reserved for whatever i want.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Athasian nightmare beast or ha naga seem most likely to me so far.

Query: given the very strong implications that MiTD is a child, why is size considered a con?

He behaves like a child and is frequently seen playing games and often mentions toys. The child like personality seemed to really become a big thing around when I gather the author confirmed that it could be guessed and had a species. Characters comment on it as well, with Oona saying he'll grow and Haley noting his behavior obviously meant he's a child. The evidence that MiTD is of a smaller size than the stats for a full grown member of his species is overwhelming.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-03-30 at 11:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Query: given the very strong implications that MiTD is a child, why is size considered a con?

He behaves like a child and is frequently seen playing games and often mentions toys. The child like personality seemed to really become a big thing around when I gather the author confirmed that it could be guessed and had a species. Characters comment on it as well, with Oona saying he'll grow and Haley noting his behavior obviously meant he's a child. The evidence that MiTD is of a smaller size than the stats for a full grown member of his species is overwhelming.
    I would imagine for many of the ideas it's considered a con, MitD is below the minimum size for a child of those ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Because anything larger than Huge would require MitD to be about newborn sized or smaller. MitD might be a bit childish, but we're talking "pre-teen", not "baby" or "mid-pregnancy fetus".

Kish made a nice chart comparing sizes of various creatures in discussion. The Ha-naga is the massive snake in the middle. The idea that a Ha-naga small enough to be MitD could have enough strength to punch a horse through a wall is rather unbelievable, given that a full-grown Ha-naga is already barely stronger than Roy. Similar issues for all other creatures. If the full-grown had, say, 60 strength and some kind of fluff that explained why it grew ten-fold from childhood to adulthood, maybe. But most creatures don't have that, and the few that do (mostly dragons) are too weak when they are MitD-sized (i.e. they don't have the spells/abilities or the strength).

This is a chart comparing sizes for bipeds. MitD is Medium, or maybe small Large (about human sized, maybe a bit over if he's quadruped or hunched). Compare it to the sizes beyond Huge to see just how ludicrously big those creatures are (FTR, the Ha-naga is colossal, the largest possible size, whilst the ANB is a [weirdly light] Huge)

The black shadow represents the smallest creatures in the category (think Dwarves for Medium) whereas the grey shadow are the largest (tallest human is about 8 feet tall, most are about 5-6). Or, put another way, the black shadow is about child-sized for the grey shadow. If MitD is about 8 feet tall, as he appears to be, he might be a small Large, which would be about right for a child-sized large, or about knee-tall to a Huge, which really pushes "child" into "baby".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 02:31 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah I was thinking of the Huge ANB when I posted: it has "size" listed as a con thought it seems to me large for a pre-teen one sounds pretty reasonable and likely, it is the next size category after all. The size and str seems off for a ha naga though.

or the mitd is actually half ha naga, half drangon, and half tarrasque

15. - Top - End - #15

I preferred the picture in the other thread, where different monsters and a human (I think) were compared for the size categories. For me, it made it clearer what the size categories meant.

If we can finally drop the whole Ha Naga discussion for a bit: Has there ever been a candidate for which the size has been the ONLY, or at most important, contra?
    I'd simply like to know so I can consider changing my guess or not :-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

ANB has size and being released after announcement as the cons. The latter of which comes with a caveat. It just seems odd to have size be a concern when it would be a large child growing into a huge adult, which seems pretty reasonable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I preferred the picture in the other thread, where different monsters and a human (I think) were compared for the size categories. For me, it made it clearer what the size categories meant.
    I linked to it in my post. It was made by Kish.

If we can finally drop the whole Ha Naga discussion for a bit: Has there ever been a candidate for which the size has been the ONLY, or at most important, contra?
    I'd simply like to know so I can consider changing my guess or not :-)
    Sort of. The Dread Linnorm was dropped from the FBS list due to size, but it did have a slight problem in that it had two heads, so it also had the issue of too many eyes (but maybe the other head is blind, or got cut off at some point).

However, I believe it was also unclear if it could be mentally dominated. It's been a while since we've discussed it.

Yeah I was thinking of the Huge ANB when I posted: it has "size" listed as a con thought it seems to me large for a pre-teen one sounds pretty reasonable and likely, it is the next size category after all.
    But that's my point: pre-teen humans are NOT one category smaller than human adults. Shorter, certainly, but still taller than a dwarf, and definitely larger than a true Small creature such as a halfling. For MitD, adult being Huge is pushing it: not quite bad enough to knock it out of the FBS category, but still a con. Put another way: would ANB fit better as MitD if it was a bit smaller? Yes, I think is the clear answer, thus it's a con. How much of one, and whether it's a deal breaker or not, that's your personal opinion. I just classify things, and enough people objected to its size that I recorded it as a con. Crusher is the one you want for logging preferred creatures.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 02:52 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You mean besides the Ha-naga? Not to get back into it, but that was the only non-subjective concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
    Sort of. The Dread Linnorm was dropped from the FBS list due to size, but it did have a slight problem in that it had two heads, so it also had the slight issue of too many eyes (but maybe the other head is blind, or got cut off at some point).

However, I believe it was also unclear if it could be mentally dominated. It's been a while since we've discussed it.

HOLD THE PHONE

In the SAME SECTION is the Grey Linnorm, CR 20, casts spells as a 17th level cleric, giving access to earthquake and miracle. Has a version of snatch that lets it hurl people 70 feet. Huge, but long, thin, and snakelike. Pretty ugly. Fluff says young ones are rarely seen and the species might be dying out. Only speaks Draconic and Abyssal. Has spellcraft and Arcana ranks. USUALLY chaotic evil.

The only thing standing in its way is selective interpretation of Redcloak's Cleric line. And strength I guess if you want to assume it can hurl someone 70 feet but not go through a wall at 24 STR.

19. - Top - End - #19

@GW: the link leads to something that seems to be an excel file......doesn't show any picture, much less any monsters. Maybe that's because I am on smartphone.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    You mean besides the Ha-naga? Not to get back into it, but that was the only non-subjective concern.

HOLD THE PHONE

In the SAME SECTION is the Grey Linnorm, CR 20, casts spells as a 17th level cleric, giving access to earthquake and miracle. Has a version of snatch that lets it hurl people 70 feet. Huge, but long, thin, and snakelike. Pretty ugly. Fluff says young ones are rarely seen and the species might be dying out. Only speaks Draconic and Abyssal. Has spellcraft and Arcana ranks. USUALLY chaotic evil.

The only thing standing in its way is selective interpretation of Redcloak's Cleric line. And strength I guess if you want to assume it can hurl someone 70 feet but not go through a wall at 24 STR.
    You might want to go back to some early versions of this thread and check out the FBS lists. They’re pretty different from today.

Also, I’m surprised you changed your mind on the Glabrezu. Maybe you could call your list the “Shadow FBS” for the day the masses (or the lotsey ninjas) turn on GW.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2019-03-30 at 04:26 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Angrith View Post

Well it seems to me that "what is it like to be an authentic Protean?" is just the sort of thing the Giant would humorously explore. So you have persuaded me. Put me down for Protean.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

I suspect Rich Burlew (how do one pronounce that Btw?) did not gave that much thought about getting the size right. He had a problem to solve; how to bring the monster out of the cave so it could continue being part of the story, while also keep its identity hidden until the big reveal. Making it a child under an umbrella would solve that and also add a source of jokes.
    Thus I am of the opinion that discusing size is probably to over thinking it. MitD got the size plot demanded and that was that.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You might want to go back to some early versions of this thread and check out the FBS lists. They’re pretty different from today.

Also, I’m surprised you changed your mind on the Glabrezu. Maybe you could call your list the “Shadow FBS” for the day the masses (or the lotsey ninjas) turn on GW.
    Nothing to fear from the lotseys; GW would still have a high-ranking administrative role and be in charge of all the curation and whatnot. Really, I just want power for the sake of power. Truly it is the purest of goals.

All glory to the Hypnotoad Silver Dragon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I suspect Rich Burlew (how do one pronounce that Btw?)
    Burr - loo. Possibly burr - lyoo.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

@GW: the link leads to something that seems to be an excel file......doesn't show any picture, much less any monsters. Maybe that's because I am on smartphone.
    Yep, that's the one. You may need to scroll the spreadsheet up a bit.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-30 at 08:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

This post reserved for comments on how wasn't there a section 6 on administrative history or something before?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #26

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Might want to update this.
    Well, it sure felt like 2 years.

Its funny, I edited a fair bit of that post this time (minor grammar things and a couple points that had gotten out of date), but that wasn’t one!

Ty for pointing it out.

Edit - I’m on my phone (about to get on a plane), but is the ANB link dead for everyone else?
    Last edited by Crusher; 2019-03-30 at 08:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Section 6: Appearances of the MitD

Section 6a: Appearances in online strips.
    Spoiler: Section 6a: Appearances in online strips
    Show

• #23: Xykon says MitD is his secret weapon, will reveal him when the time is right.
    • #37: Xykon and MitD watch Roy set off the booby-trapped door.
    • #47: More crystal ball watching.
    • #82: Redcloak tells MitD off for leaving mess in kitchen. More crystal ball watching. MitD is in magical darkness.
    • #96: MitD can't see gate.
    • #97: MitD joins Redcloak in evil laugh.
    • #103: Xykon practices big reveal of MitD. Xykon is not satisfied, MitD listing spices to cook OotS with isn't scary enough.
    • #105: Nothing.
    • #106: Doesn't see gate again.
    • #109, #110, #113: Nothing notable.
    • #114: Xykon prepares to reveal MitD, gets interrupted. MitD is anxious.
    • #117: MitD wants to get revealed, Redcloak and Xykon stops him.
    • #120: Nothing notable.
    • #147: MitD asks to hold Xykon's phylactery. Redcloak refuses, MitD had broken all his toys, including “Power Ranger figures”. MitD gets fanged Hello Kitty umbrella.
    • #148: Nothing notable.
    • #149: MitD does exposition about the initiation rituals.
    • #190: MitD teaches Redcloak evil leadership.
    • #191: MitD doesn't want to go into abandoned castle. Xykon tells MitD should be scary and powerful.
    • #192: Nothing notable.
    • #194: MitD asks lantern archons to light him up.
    • #195: MitD asks why Serini's diary is useful, knows about magical books.
    • #196: MitD knows about Dorukan. Doesn't know about gates.
    • #259: Reader question time. Hobgoblin Kodrog the Slayer knows what the MitD is, took a peek under his umbrella. Dies before he answers.
    • #299: MitD wants to be a valuable member. Redcloak says he can't help in making zombies.
    • #331: Still confused about gate.
    • #368: “Sometimes I eat to fill the loneliness.”
    • #369, #371: Nothing notable.
    • #373: Miko meets MitD.
    • #374: MitD has to stop Miko. Feels Miko's full attack as only tickles. Plays “Who Can Hit the Lightest”, hits Miko and his horse far through the tower wall, but they survive. Wall now has holes in the shape of Miko and horse.
    • #375: MitD finds Miko's purse with letter from High Priest of Thor to Durkon, paper cuts his tongue.
    • #376: Xykon had asked MitD to not let Miko get away, and this was Xykon's idea.
    • #414: Nothing notable.
    • #415: MitD crystal ball watching on Miko. Confused about gate.
    • #422: MitD confused about Redcloak chewing out on decoy Xykon.
    • #426: MitD confused about three Xykons.
    • #428: Nothing.
    • #431: MitD confused about four Xykons. Understands the distinction between arcane and divine spells. Redcloak explains the decoy strategy to him. MitD still doesn't understand.
    • #447: Nothing notable.
    • #451: MitD grumbles.
    • #463: MitD plays tea party with toy green dragon. Paralyzed O-Chul arrives.
    • #474: When Belkar is trying to track down Roy's corpse, he sees weird tracks that he can't recognize. They're definitely not hobgoblin footprints, or Roy's, but doesn't know what made them. MitD is still having tea party, now with dead Roy too.
    • #475: Haley and Durkon wants to retrieve Roy's body. MitD doesn't allow, shouts “Stop!” As alternate plan, Haley offers stew in exchange for Roy. Flashback to MitD eating moldy cheeseburger.
    • #476: MitD enjoys Belkar's half-cooked vulture stew. As Haley and Belkar starts to leave, MitD hears they're the Order of the Stick, who he's supposed to devour.
    • #477: MitD thinks about whether he should eat Haley and Belkar without Xykon introducing him first. Doesn't seem to notice Belkar's attack. Haley and Belkar escape while he's still thinking. MitD stomps after demon roach's advice, causes earthquake and huge cracks in ground. “Wow! I didn't know I could do that!” Belkar lets O-Chul go, O-Chul falls back to MitD. MitD is “really tired all of a sudden. And still hungry.”
    • #484: MitD carries the paralyzed O-Chul.
    • #541: MitD is now in a large box with barred window. Wants to join Team Evil in betting game. Again bets on O-Chul escaping.
    • #543: MitD says he hoped O-Chul would escape, but it didn't work. Still doesn't know gates. Wants to get out of the box, Xykon doesn't let him.
    • #549: MitD is friends with O-Chul, trades food with him. Tells he eats anything but babies. Wants to start a club that girls can't join.
    • #550: O-Chul questions MitD about why he's friends with Team Evil. MitD wants to play, O-Chul promises to play go with him in the morning.
    • #651: MitD tells O-Chul about his youth. He always lived in the rainforest, although need not have been born there. His dad was BIG and a big eater. The MitD doesn't know what species he is or where he belongs, but thinks Redcloak and Xykon know. O-Chul convinces the MitD to start to think for himself, with a cheesy go metaphor. We see the go board. Fart joke at MitD's expense when Vaarsuvius arrives with a bang.
    • #652: MitD does not appear. Vaarsuvius casts Quickened Dimensional Anchor spell, its ray misses Xykon.
    • #654: MitD still wants to get the darkness lit up. O-Chul escapes, and in his parting words, reminds the MitD of the lesson from #651. MitD calls O-Chul his real name for the first time.
    • #658: MitD is worried about O-Chul.
    • #661: MitD says O-Chul needs to escape now, because Xykon will be really angry. Calls O-Chul his friend again. Shouts “ESCAPE”, O-Chul and Vaarsuvius disappear. Xykon doesn't seem to realize it was the MitD's doing.
    • #662: MitD is sleeping (or pretending to).
    • #663: (MitD not present.) Vaarsuvius and O-Chul turn out to have arrived in Hinjo's camp. O-Chul requests the most learned scribe because he has questions about the escape.
    • #699: MitD tries to replicate the escape on a hobgoblin. Deliberately misinterpreted Redcloak's words to bother someone else. Hobgoblin tells him he'd need to use magic for that to work, MitD says he's too dumb for that. MitD is worried about where he sent his friends and if they're safe. Mentions the other planes.
    • #700: MitD is not allowed in Tsukiko's room. MitD asks Tsukiko's help because she knows both types of magic. They discuss Tsukiko's fascination with the undead. MitD recognizes ritual scroll as “half a ritual”. Tsukiko promises she'll try to help him find his friend.
    • #701: Hobgoblin from #699 asks MitD to open the curtains before Redcloak's speech. MitD warns him about clumsiness with pulling a rope. MitD thinks the goblins are cheering for his performance with the curtain.
    • #702: Nothing.
    • #703: MitD reads Gobbotopia history booklet. Joke about how Jirix was dead.
    • #704: Redcloak thinks MitD doesn't know what a prime minister is.
    • #709: MitD meets up with Tsukiko to call in her promise to find his friends. Tsukiko tells him he shouldn't be friends with paladins, and that she can't help because the Cloister spell protects O-Chul from divination. Joke about Xykon's balls. Even if Tsukiko and Xykon can't help, MitD hopes he'll find O-Chul eventually, and recalls the detail O-Chul said about rain.
    • #828: (MitD not present.) Redcloak says MitD still watches the crystal ball.
    • #831: MitD (still in box) informs Redcloak that Xykon is angry. (The reason is that the resistance acquired his phylactery.)
    • #832: MitD now under umbrella. (Team evil is preparing to leave.)
    • #833: MitD still thinks of Tsukiko as a friend. Xykon says they'll take a quick detour to the Astral Plane before they go to Girard's gate. Redcloak opens portal to the Astral Plane. MitD: “Oooo! I love the Astral Plane! It's so silvery and weightless!” Xykon: “When the hell were YOU ever on the Astral Plane?” MitD: “…I don't remember. Maybe I wasn't?”
    • #886: MitD does not appear in OotS's illusionary imagination of confrontation with Team Evil.
    • #887: In tiny picture in illusion montage, MitD under umbrella drinking tea with O-Chul, while Elan, Roy and Durkon are present.
    • #899: Team Evil arrives to Girard's pyramid, MitD under umbrella.
    • #900: MitD's umbrella damaged after pyramid explodes. He asks which pelvis Xykon is looking for.
    • #901: MitD recognizes the Order of the Stick, knows they are O-Chul's friends. MitD refers to the paralyzed O-Chul accidentally falling to his tea party as him having captured O-Chul. Worried about the party, bluffs to Xykon that O-Chul and Vaarsuvius are more dangerous and must be already at Kraagor's dungeon, while Roy's party distracts Team Evil here. He cleverly uses the fact that Xykon never remembers Roy. The bluff works, they depart to Kraagor's dungeon immediately.
    • #1036: MitD shows off his new umbrella to Oona, with drawings of duckies.
    • #1037: Oona calls him “Great Beast in Shadow”, magnificent and majestic, “like in wildest dreams”. He saw MitD under umbrella. He and Greyview the dog treats him as if he was Xykon's pet who should obey Xykon, but MitD isn't willing to accept that idea. Oona says he almost bought two humans as food to MitD, seems to have heard that a human was MitD's best friend, but misunderstood as if he was his favourite snack. He also says he'd seen under the umbrella, he's a “magnificent monster”, envies Xykon for owning him, and thinks it's a waste keeping him in the shadows. Also says that the MitD is small but will grow.
    • #1038: MitD understands that Redcloak needs to prepare his spells. Shows suspicious understanding of goblin culture with big words, demon roach lampshades that as clue to MitD puzzle.
    • #1039: MitD gets permission to do the painting tonight.
    • #1040: MitD feels lucky about new company, picks a door. Joke about adventure being off-screen.
    • #1041: MitD falls back, paints cross on multiple doors, including ones not on the ground floor. Holds paint can and brush as if he had two hands. Seems to leave no footprints in the snow, unlike rest of the team.
    • #1042: O-Chul and Lien covertly observe MitD doing that. O-Chul is happy that the MitD is not always obedient to Team Evil. O-Chul has a theory about MitD, but doesn't tell because nobody would believe it. O-Chul brought a go game board.
    • #1189: To be described later.

Section 6b: Appearances in Start of Darkness (prequel book).
    Spoiler: Appearances in Start of Darkness (prequel book)
    Show

• page 49: MitD is sleeping then waking up. He's in the jungle and loves it there. Naively baited by a giant steak on a hook, he gets trapped in a box.
    • Page 50: MitD asks hunters to let him out of the box, since it doesn't open from the inside. Hunters are surprised that he talks, and talks in Common. They believe he's a rare and expensive catch. “I never expected” They'll load him into the cargo hold of a boat.
    • Page 83: MitD is about to perform in circus, has stage fright. He likes stew.
    • Page 84: The ringmaster announces him as “Prepare to feast your eyes on ‘IT!’”. Circus audience reactions: “Oh my gods…”, “It's horrible!” (closing eyes), “And yet beautiful!”, “Mommy, I feel funny looking at it.”, “Blerrrch!” (vomiting), “I've never seen anything like it!”, “Woooooo!” (Redcloak's niece), “YEAH!” (Redcloak's nephew). MitD found the performance tough. The lady who cares for him doesn't understand, because every show he just “stands out on the stage and gets gawked at”. She gives him stew and has prepared his box. The lady also says the MitD's dinner was the same stew every day for over five years. MitD still likes stew.
    • Page 84: After performance, Redcloak's brother Right-Eye and his children meet MitD. MitD is in the box eating the stew from a bucket. The box seems to be the same one as the one in #541. We see the box from its narrower side too: it has a window without bars there. MitD remains in this box for the rest of the book. MitD recognizes the family and plays with the younger children with his toy plush dragon from #463. Right-Eye: “Almost everyone else who spends a silver piece to get into the sideshow recoils in abject horror at the sight of you”. They leave but will return tomorrow.
    • Page 85: Right-Eye says that no, they can't take the MitD home. He affirms that the MitD eats a lot of stew, and can sleep.
    • Page 88: Presumably the next day, Redcloak, newly arrived in town, is supervising Right-Eye's children in the circus. They meet the MitD behind stage in his box again. Redcloak was impressed seeing him. MitD: “I don't fit into the leotards the trapeze artists wear. Probably has something to do with all the stew.” Redcloak affirms that the MitD could leave the circus and kill all the guards if he wanted, but MitD says that would be rude. Redcloak invites the MitD to work for him. Work involves “Being scary, mostly. Maybe some fighting.” MitD is not paid by circus, Redcloak will pay three times as much.
    • Page 89: In Right-Eye's home, Redcloak tells him he wants to recruit the MitD for the Plan, because he's powerful.
    • Page 90: During the night, Redcloak steals the monster from the circus. Lifts MitD's box onto a cart with great difficulties. MitD rocks the box to reach the bucket of stew.
    • Pages 91, 92, 93: Still escaping from circus. MitD doesn't help, except he can lean his weight to steer the cart.
    • Page 94: MitD eats cotton candy.
    • Page 95: Nothing notable.
    • Page 96: Xykon observes the MitD. Xykon says the MitD is ugly, and is his “secret weapon” now, to deal with any heroes who try to stop Xykon and the Plan, as in #103. They're unclear about the details: “Well… what do you do that really terrifies people?” “Um… let's see… I eat a lot?” “OK, then, when the heroes show up, you'll eat them!” “I've never eaten a hero before.” Xykon also magically charms the MitD to eat Redcloak if he ever betrays Xykon. MitD has swirly eyes, reacts out of character: “Yes, master”. Xykon promises him all the stew he can eat and toys, but refuses to let him out of the box when the MitD asks.
    • Page 100: Redcloak orders MitD to lead the zombies to attack the castle of Dorukan.
    • Page 101: MitD has no idea how to storm the castle. Asks zombies to bring him tacos instead.
    • Page 103: A zombie has brought taco. MitD eats, with bite marks. MitD abuses the authority that Redcloak left him in charge.
    • Page 104: MitD has a feast with a zombie bringing more taco and a goblin band playing music.
    • Page 105: MitD still feasting. Xykon questions Redcloak about that.
    • Page 109: MitD reacts to the news that Right-Eye died and won't be resurrected: “Awwwww, that sucks. He was fun.”. Offers taco to Redcloak.
    • Page 110, 112: Nothing notable.

Section 6c: Appearance in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished (book -1/2).
    Spoiler: Section 6c: Appearance in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished (book -1/2).
    Show

In the Scruffy story “Scruff and Tumble”, which happens in Gobbotopia while Haley leads the resistance, around the time of #514.
    • Page 28: In a house, a tiny psionic teleporting elephant beetle is leashed and captured in a magic circle. Redcloak enters to find the beetle gone, the leash torn. Redcloak is angry, blames the MitD for it. MitD is under the Hello Kitty umbrella.

Section 6d: Administrative notes about this list and version history.
    Spoiler: Section 6d: Administrative notes about this list and version history.
    Show
    These lists try to list all appearances of the MitD and references to him in all comic strips that the Giant considers canonical for the story. I mention strips where the MitD is visible even if he's not doing anything, and strips where someone else is talking about the MitD in his absence. I do not collect appearances in non-canonical material such as calendars and ornaments and shirts.

If you find any mistakes or omissions in this list, please point it out in the active MitD thread. I will edit the list in place so that we always have the freshest information on the first page of the thread. In particular, I know there are appearances of the MitD in bonus strips of some of the books I don't have, and one appearance in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, and would like your help in writing entries for them. I am trying to make the list give an objective description of what we see in the comic without interpreting the scene in any particular way, so please try to stick to that style when writing entries.

Version history.

Thanks.
    At least the following forum users gave helpful hints for this list, so I'm hereby thanking them: Doug Lampert, Windscion, D.One, Yendor.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-12-02 at 03:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Edit - I’m on my phone (about to get on a plane), but is the ANB link dead for everyone else?
    The original post in the D&D forum went away, but i made a copy to a random post, and that is still there.

Grey Wolf

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay. I realize we just had a vote, but I thought of something to add to it on Sunday (i.e., the day before it was to close), so I figured it would be better to put it off to a later vote, and then I thought of something else as well.

I would like to formally propose a vote for two changes to the FBS.

First, I would like to propose that no D&D creature with a Challenge Rating below 18 should be considered.

Spoiler: Reasoning
    Show
    Every scene that showcases the creature's power suggests he's massively powerful in some way. Unveiling a CR 13 glabrezu before a level 9 party and saying "you foolish mortals can never prevail...while I have the power of this on my side" would be dubious at best; telling that same CR 13 creature "we all know how powerful you are, there's nothing in there scarier than you should be" and expecting one to deal with an ancient silver dragon is downright absurd.

Second, I would like to propose that the "must not be immune to mind-affecting" requirement be revised to "must not have mind-affecting immunity on the level of a god."

Spoiler: Reasoning
    Show
    It's been made clear, with Durkon and Malack's homebrew Mass Death Ward (which, yes, I know is an official D&D spell, but Rich spelled out that he had forgotten that at the time and was treating it as a pure homebrew spell), that the OotS universe is amenable to creating homebrew spells. The spell Xykon used to hypnotize the creature in the darkness already has to be one, since there is no published spell that would have a "like Suggestion, but with a duration in years or longer" effect, and spells that are "mind-affecting, except they also affect undead/affect golems/affect X creature immune to mind-affecting effects" are common; it would be an unusually harsh DM who would declare a spell that was "like Suggestion, but with a duration of [caster level] years and also works on X creature immune to mind-affecting effects" higher than ninth level. However, a spell that could Suggest a god would be high epic.

30. - Top - End - #30

I vote A. Same reason as last vote.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club