Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 725
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Israel
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Can he be a creature from a children folklore and fairy tales?

    I tried to use Akinator to try if it finds out who MitD can be. Of course, the first result was Monster in the Dark, so I chose this as "wrong" answer, and kept on guessing.
    So, after about 70 questions, Akinator twice gave the "Boogeyman" answer. At this stage, I stopped, and moved to Wikipedia.
    And, I found out about creature named "Coco".

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_(folklore)

    I will copy what I find most relevant:
    The Coco is a male being while Coca is the female version of the mythical monster, although it is not possible to distinguish one from the other as both are the representation of the same being.
    This means that there is more then creature. Potentially, they can even have children.

    It is not the way the Coco looks but what it does that scares most. It is a child eater and a kidnapper
    Remember MitD compaining, that Xykon forces him to eat children? And also Xykon tells to devour Redcloak is he misbehaves.

    it may immediately devour the child, leaving no trace, or it may spirit the child away to a place of no return
    Can be an explanation to teleport scene. Which is one of most hard.

    There is no general description of the cucuy, as far as facial or body descriptions, but it is stated that this shapeshifting being is extremely horrible to look at. The coco is variously described as a shapeless figure, sometimes a hairy monster, that hides in closets or under beds and eats children that misbehave when they are told to go to bed
    Explains circus scene.

    In Catalonia the "Cuca fera de Tortosa" was first documented in 1457. It is a zoomorphic figure, looks like a tortoise with a horned spine, it has dragon claws and a dragon head.[33][34] The legend says she had to dine every night on three cats and three children. The legend of the Coca can be compared to the one of Peluda or Tarasque.

    Can explain constant appetite and strength.
    As for other aspects:
    1) I didn't find information if they can talk or not.
    2) Have Spanish and\or Carribean origin. MitD was found in the jungle, which fits the scene. Though, yes, hunter were surprised to see him. Maybe because those species are from continental Spain climate, and not Carribean?
    3) Expected to be VERY evil
    4) If you follow the link and see the photos, you can see that it can be almost any size - from human shaped, to much larger.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    snip
    Interesting! Yes it can be mythological creature, the Tarasque was sent through a short time ago.
    Is there evidence to suggests that the Coco is particularly strong, and that it is capable of withstanding major blows? The Tower Scene is still relevant after all.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-01 at 03:41 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm


    In the end, its all in the cards...

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Dragon juveniles vary, but can all grow 2-3 size categories from juvenile to great wyrm.
    I don't think that's the proper analogy. Growing from juvenile to adult is the proper analogy for "creature smaller than listed racial size becomes listed racial size." And that's always one size category, for any dragon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't think that's the proper analogy. Growing from juvenile to adult is the proper analogy for "creature smaller than listed racial size becomes listed racial size." And that's always one size category, for any dragon.
    Dragon would fall into the "continues to grow even after it reaches maturity, if slowly" category, unless I'm missing something about their biology.

    The Akinator reminded me of Akantor, which reminded me that Monster Hunter has a lot of monsters that would make GREAT candidates if they are the explicitly elder members of their species ones, which reminded me that none of them can teleport, which reminded me that they aren't old enough.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-01 at 04:38 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm


    In the end, its all in the cards...

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    I think Kishs second proposal is interesting and worth voting on, but I agree that having another vote again so soon might not be terribly productive. Therefore, Ill hold off on seconding it until at least some time has passed.

    Im hoping that, with the sixth book appearing to reach a close soon enough, well see the MitD soon (in strip terms if not real time). I think at this point were not likely to see Team Evil again this book, nor at the beginning of the next, but Im holding out hope for soon.


    Peelees Lotsey

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think Kishs second proposal is interesting and worth voting on, but I agree that having another vote again so soon might not be terribly productive. Therefore, Ill hold off on seconding it until at least some time has passed.

    Im hoping that, with the sixth book appearing to reach a close soon enough, well see the MitD soon (in strip terms if not real time). I think at this point were not likely to see Team Evil again this book, nor at the beginning of the next, but Im holding out hope for soon.
    50/50 of the end of the text, 90/10 of seeing them at the beginning of the next, even if it is just to confirm that while they have not found the gate, they have indeed cleared most of the areas.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It shall be swift and ruthless. Unless any Ruths intend to join, in which case it shall be ruthful.
    Purple is the color of humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is the color of serious conversation about theoretical ideas, if transitioning from other stuff
    Blue is the color of irony and sarcasm


    In the end, its all in the cards...

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Rob Redblade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Qubec
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    50/50 of the end of the text, 90/10 of seeing them at the beginning of the next, even if it is just to confirm that while they have not found the gate, they have indeed cleared most of the areas.
    I don't want to go into wild speculation, but I kinda hope that "most of the areas" means "all the doors are marked, but we haven't found it?!?". I'd like for MitD's plan to work.
    Profile picture by Caerulea.

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Meridianville AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't think that's the proper analogy. Growing from juvenile to adult is the proper analogy for "creature smaller than listed racial size becomes listed racial size." And that's always one size category, for any dragon.
    Why is adult the right larger size? Dragons remain fertile up to and including great wyrms. And for giants (where we have a rule rather than a bunch of examples), it's always 2 categories.

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Regarding the watch dwarves have sex bit, wouldn't strip 82 be Before the MitD's identity was decided? If so, it may be one of those things that don't really support the chosen identity but don't contradict it either.
    Yeah I think so, and I think MiTD only began to be truly *childish* rather than just oblivious etc was around when it was decided.

    The way MiTD is portrayed he doesnt seem like hes young enough to make his behavior in that scene weird. Or at least weirder than it already was. Redcloak deciding to join him, on the other hand...

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Elves's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    For MitD, adult being Huge is pushing it: not quite bad enough to knock it out of the FBS category, but still a con.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oona
    So small though! But will grow in time
    On the basis of this quote it is totally reasonable to expect that the MITD is 1 size category smaller than the adult creature.

    It would actually be visually un-dramatic if it stayed the same size as an adult, so being huge should be a pro if anything. And if we're talking about whether it's a child vs a teen, it's clearly a young child -- "Rainbow Brite, Mr Stiffly" -- for most of the comic and would only now be verging on a kind of moral adolescence that has no necessary correspondence to physical adolescence -- if it even shares a human growth pattern instead of the common trope of monsters having linear growth over time.

    Also remember that the size chart you link is biased by assuming a vertical human body plan; a more horizontal body plan would vary much less in mass per extra square of groundspace.

    Huge should be removed as a con and grey linnorm should be re-introduced to the list. Colossal could perhaps be pushing it, but I think by cartoon visual logic even Gargantuan would be easily acceptable.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    On the basis of this quote it is totally reasonable to expect that the MITD is 1 size category smaller than the adult creature.

    It would actually be visually un-dramatic if it stayed the same size as an adult, so being huge should be a pro if anything. And if we're talking about whether it's a child vs a teen, it's clearly a young child -- "Rainbow Brite, Mr Stiffly" -- for most of the comic and would only now be verging on a kind of moral adolescence that has no necessary correspondence to physical adolescence -- if it even shares a human growth pattern instead of the common trope of monsters having linear growth over time.

    Also remember that the size chart you link is biased by assuming a vertical human body plan; a more horizontal body plan would vary much less in mass per extra square of groundspace.
    Agree, the fact that MiTD is significantly smaller than adults if his species has definitely been built up, and cartoon visual logic + artistic lisence definitely are more important than human growth patterns here.

    In terms of guesses Im withyou here:

    [/QUOTE] Huge should be removed as a con and grey linnorm should be re-introduced to the list. Colossal could perhaps be pushing it, but I think by cartoon visual logic even Gargantuan would be easily acceptable.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by CriticalFailure; 2019-04-01 at 08:28 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Why is adult the right larger size? Dragons remain fertile up to and including great wyrms. And for giants (where we have a rule rather than a bunch of examples), it's always 2 categories.
    To be clear, I'm saying adult is the right larger size for the species' default size. I'm not saying anything about the "my father was bigger" line, which I think generally has way too much weight put on it here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Also remember that the size chart you link is biased by assuming a vertical human body plan; a more horizontal body plan would vary much less in mass per extra square of groundspace.

    Huge should be removed as a con and grey linnorm should be re-introduced to the list. Colossal could perhaps be pushing it, but I think by cartoon visual logic even Gargantuan would be easily acceptable.
    I disagree with this, because MitD is still not that wide for what the umbrella suggests. If he was a creature that grows more horizontally than vertically, as you suggest, that would still create a potentially greater problem for him to stay under the umbrella; since it would be harder for him to stay under the (relatively small) shadowy area that the umbrella provides.

    I think early adolescence is a fair age category to place MitD in, but I'd caution against positing anything more concrete when our only judge of MitD's age seems to be his mental and emotional maturity. Elan is, still, just as immature as MitD acts, but as far as I know Elan is an adult human, so I'm not sure MitD's naivete makes good evidence for judging his age, given how many silly, immature adults appear in the comic.

    As for judging in-comic sizes, does anyone know what kind of demon is summoned by Qarr on #584? It looks large enough to be Gargantuan, I'd say, but if we knew what its size is on its statblock, that could prove useful in gauging size for other creatures as far as their in-comic representation is concerned...
    Last edited by Aspheric; 2019-04-01 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typos
    feed the crows

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    The dark worm in the current (1160, 1159, 1158) comics is being said to be a Nightcrawler, but those are by the text people have found 7 ft in diameter and 100 ft long, the monster in the comics is big, but it's not that big, it's at most 25-35 ft long and about 4ft around, about the same height as the dwarf vampires.

    I do like this monster as an alternate for the MitD, because it behaves a lot like him, I'm not sure whether it could coil up under the umbrella, I'd like to see it reveal eyes, that would make it a much better candidate.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Elves's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    I disagree with this, because MitD is still not that wide for what the umbrella suggests (+ low medium eye level).
    Yeah, I guess you're right it is medium. I'll fix that statement then: Large isn't a con and Colossal may be pushing it. Huge and Gargantuan I still don't see any reason to object to. A complaint that compares its growth to human growth patterns is completely speculative and not enough to keep something off the list.

    As for judging in-comic sizes, does anyone know what kind of demon is summoned by Qarr on #584? It looks large enough to be Gargantuan
    Colossal or colossal+. (See Lien next to its foot here).
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-02 at 10:07 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    On the basis of this quote it is totally reasonable to expect that the MITD is 1 size category smaller than the adult creature.

    ...

    Huge should be removed as a con and grey linnorm should be re-introduced to the list. Colossal could perhaps be pushing it, but I think by cartoon visual logic even Gargantuan would be easily acceptable.
    I think the people supporting Huge as a con are saying MitD is Medium now, and they expect it to grow to Large.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    As for judging in-comic sizes, does anyone know what kind of demon is summoned by Qarr on #584? It looks large enough to be Gargantuan, I'd say, but if we knew what its size is on its statblock, that could prove useful in gauging size for other creatures as far as their in-comic representation is concerned...
    I've seen it referred to a lot as a Pit Fiend, so I assumed that's what it was, but they are listed as Large and described as "about 12 feet tall and 800 pounds." Whatever Qarr summoned is... significantly bigger than that.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    MiTD could currently be large though

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I've seen it referred to a lot as a Pit Fiend, so I assumed that's what it was, but they are listed as Large and described as "about 12 feet tall and 800 pounds." Whatever Qarr summoned is... significantly bigger than that.
    It's a strangely colossal pit fiend that is nevertheless somehow defeated by a level 15ish party. More proof that size is meaningless.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Yeah, I guess you're right it is medium. I'll fix that statement then: Colossal is probably too big (unless it's a famous grower like a dragon etc). Huge I still don't see any reason to object to, nor depending on the species Gargantuan. A complaint that compares its growth to human growth patterns is completely speculative and not enough to keep something off the list.
    Er, what? I never said what size I thought it was, only that its width still must fit within the umbrella. If I had to guess, the MitD currently can't be any bigger than Large, regardless of what its actual proportions are or however big it may become. I wasn't objecting to Huge, or suggesting Medium, and I'm not sure where you extropolated this from my post, but I'm sorry if I suggested otherwise. (Also, may I request you not include things I didn't write in your quotes? It's a bit disorienting...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Colossal or colossal+. (See Lien next to its foot here).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I've seen it referred to a lot as a Pit Fiend, so I assumed that's what it was, but they are listed as Large and described as "about 12 feet tall and 800 pounds." Whatever Qarr summoned is... significantly bigger than that.
    Strange! Compared to Lien, I'm inclined to agree with Elves as far as the size goes, so maybe it's a different kind of devil/demon/whatever? I don't think size should be thrown completely out the window, even if MitD might be smaller than the usual size of his species.
    feed the crows

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Elves's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think the people supporting Huge as a con are saying MitD is Medium now, and they expect it to grow to Large.
    But the main points are the same:

    1) Cartoon visual logic trumps pedantic size measurement; eg the giant devil just being discussed
    2) Judging his expected growth by comparison to human (or any mammal's) growth patterns is baseless
    3) Even if it were in human terms, there's no evidence he's pubertal or adult

    So I'll say Large doesn't have to be a con, but there's no evidence for calling Huge and even Garg cons, either.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crusher's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    So I'll say Large doesn't have to be a con, but there's no evidence for calling Huge and even Garg cons, either.
    Im ok with making Huge no longer a Con, and while I think making Gargantuan or Colossal no longer Cons is too much of a stretch, I am ok with making them acceptable at all which is a significant change.

    That having been said, its worth keeping in mind that STR gets scaled down as size reduces. So a Gargantuan creature is going to need to be REALLY strong.

    Edit - also, just fyi Im out of town on my phone and a but busy so I wont be able to get the voting caught up until this weekend or early next week.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2019-04-02 at 09:37 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Meridianville AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Im ok with making Huge no longer a Con, and while I think making Gargantuan or Colossal no longer Cons is too much of a stretch, I am ok with making them acceptable at all which is a significant change.

    That having been said, its worth keeping in mind that STR gets scaled down as size reduces. So a Gargantuan creature is going to need to be REALLY strong.

    Edit - also, just fyi Im out of town on my phone and a but busy so I wont be able to get the voting caught up until this weekend or early next week.
    Yep, I don't consider Gargantuan or Huge a con, but for Huge I wand the strength to be 38+, and for Gargantuan I want the strength to be 46+, because strength does scale with size. Yes, there are ways to reduce size that don't reduce strength by a full 8 points, but then 30 is pretty minimal strength already.

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    50/50 of the end of the text, 90/10 of seeing them at the beginning of the next, even if it is just to confirm that while they have not found the gate, they have indeed cleared most of the areas.
    I think its unlikely we see them at the beginning of the next, just because its rare for the books to start out with Team Evil and not the Order. I would put more odds on seeing them before this book wraps up, but I kind of feel that The Giant will just want to get this arc finished without also throwing them in. Im open to convincing otherwise, however!


    Peelees Lotsey

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Shadows

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Waiting for a Team Evil appearance, we can settle for the little clues we have.

    I'm still trying to understand the art of the Escape scene (the glowing eyes). That's not how magic usually works and Laurin's psionics didn't really work that way either.

    #1160 has:
    - a spell-like ability cast without speaking its name (no eyes, so neither glow nor no-glow);
    - Roy's eyes glowing when using his sword's powers;
    - Durkon's eyes not glowing when using the returning property of his hammer.

    Do the powers of an ancestral weapon come from the bearer rather than the weapon? Would Durkon's eyes not glow because he's using his weapon's magic while Roy's eyes do because the magic he uses comes from him (and is channeled in some way through the weapon)?

    The color of the eyes and the glowing when using magic seems somewhat inconsistent to me and I can't really see a pattern there. Maybe I'm just trying too hard and this is just some artistic glitter ink on some magic effects thrown in for awesomeness sake.
    Last edited by Jineon; 2019-04-02 at 10:45 AM.
    Pretending to be one of Peelee's ninja lotsey under Darth Paul.
    Currently busy getting crushed.

    Will switch allegiance for awesome quotes.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    But the main points are the same:

    1) Cartoon visual logic trumps pedantic size measurement; eg the giant devil just being discussed
    2) Judging his expected growth by comparison to human (or any mammal's) growth patterns is baseless
    3) Even if it were in human terms, there's no evidence he's pubertal or adult

    So I'll say Large doesn't have to be a con, but there's no evidence for calling Huge and even Garg cons, either.
    1) I don't agree with. Rich has specifically said "It is possible to guess" what the MitD is; all his statements on the subject indicate the clues he gives in strip are consistent with the species of the character. I fully disagree that he will provide inaccurate details of MitD's species then handwave those details away with "It's cartoon logic."

    2) We can judge his expected growth by how species tend to grow in D&D, though.

    3) I'm not sure what your point is, but we're making the best assumptions we can about MitD's relative age and state of maturation based on what we've seen of him in the comic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    50/50 of the end of the text, 90/10 of seeing them at the beginning of the next, even if it is just to confirm that while they have not found the gate, they have indeed cleared most of the areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think its unlikely we see them at the beginning of the next, just because its rare for the books to start out with Team Evil and not the Order. I would put more odds on seeing them before this book wraps up, but I kind of feel that The Giant will just want to get this arc finished without also throwing them in. Im open to convincing otherwise, however!
    I think we're pretty likely to get one more scene of Team Evil in the denouement, an update on their progress. Wouldn't bet on much more than that, though.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-04-02 at 11:46 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think we're pretty likely to get one more scene of Team Evil in the denouement, an update on their progress. Wouldn't bet on much more than that, though.
    I think we already got the "update on progress" scene for Team Evil for this book. I'd expect the next we meet them would be at the start of the next book, to re-center the narrative on them.

    But I cannot discard a "breakthrough" moment at the end of this book either sort of like the "Next stop, Azure City" splash page.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Can he be a creature from a children folklore and fairy tales?

    I tried to use Akinator to try if it finds out who MitD can be. Of course, the first result was Monster in the Dark, so I chose this as "wrong" answer, and kept on guessing.
    So, after about 70 questions, Akinator twice gave the "Boogeyman" answer. At this stage, I stopped, and moved to Wikipedia.
    And, I found out about creature named "Coco".
    Yes. An interesting find, and I'm sorry you are buried in yet another fruitless* discussion about sizes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jineon View Post
    Waiting for a Team Evil appearance, we can settle for the little clues we have.

    I'm still trying to understand the art of the Escape scene (the glowing eyes). That's not how magic usually works and Laurin's psionics didn't really work that way either.

    #1160 has:
    - a spell-like ability cast without speaking its name (no eyes, so neither glow nor no-glow);
    - Roy's eyes glowing when using his sword's powers;
    - Durkon's eyes not glowing when using the returning property of his hammer.

    Do the powers of an ancestral weapon come from the bearer rather than the weapon? Would Durkon's eyes not glow because he's using his weapon's magic while Roy's eyes do because the magic he uses comes from him (and is channeled in some way through the weapon)?

    The color of the eyes and the glowing when using magic seems somewhat inconsistent to me and I can't really see a pattern there. Maybe I'm just trying too hard and this is just some artistic glitter ink on some magic effects thrown in for awesomeness sake.
    The legacy item description could be taken to describe a power that develops within oneself with the item as a focal point. So I wouldn't think it too much of a stretch to get to 'glowing eyes mean an internal power unlike cleric, wizard or sorcerer spells or psionic abilities or abilities embedded directly within an item'. Not sure if there is an index of 'glowing eye' occurrences; I can't dig deeper until after work. But I like this line of thinking.

    * "fruitless" because no one seems to be changing anyone else's mind, the size limit for the FBS was just voted on, and the FBS doesn't really matter in the end. If I get bored tonight I'm going to work on a replacement suggestion I just thought of...

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canadia

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    In regards to size vs age, for snakes in particular, the only decent resource I've found is this chart on a Ball (or Royal) Python forum. It basically shows the ball python at roughly 180 grams at 4 months of age, growing up to 1800 grams by about 35 months, or a 10x growth from childhood to elderly.

    According to Wikipedia, in the wild, male royal pythons reach sexual maturity at 11-18 months, but don't generally start breeding until at about 600g, which according to the above referenced chart is at roughly 11-months old. It also notes that in captivity some Ball Pythons have begun breeding at 300-400g, which is about 8-10 moths of age.

    Now, making a bunch of wild assumptions, it seems like they reach puberty at around 8, and adulthood around 11. If we consider the MitD as pre-pubescent, though not a newborn or young child (let's say equivalent to a 6-month old, ~200g ball python), then a 10x change in size isn't out of the realms of possibility. So that accounts for one whole size class, if it were to follow an Earth snake-like growth. Extrapolating that to D&D doesn't really work that great, since monsters can live for thousands of years, and if they never stop growing, similar to snakes or dragons, then they could conceivably reach larger and larger size classes.

    For the Ha-Naga, The Epic Handbook fluff is not really indicative of how old they are, or even what their reproductive cycle is like. Serpent Kingdoms, however, notes (page 25) that Ha-Nagas came about from some Dark and Spirit Nagas seeking out ancient Sarrukh rituals and transforming themselves into Ha-Nagas.

    Another interesting note from Serpent Kingdoms (page 26) says that Nagas are hermaphroditic and are capable of reproduction through either self-fertilization or copulation with another Naga, depending on the individual's preference. The young are raised by their parent until they are strong enough to survive on their own, at which point the parent leaves for good.
    Last edited by monomer; 2019-04-02 at 12:34 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I think we already got the "update on progress" scene for Team Evil for this book. I'd expect the next we meet them would be at the start of the next book, to re-center the narrative on them.

    But I cannot discard a "breakthrough" moment at the end of this book either sort of like the "Next stop, Azure City" splash page.

    Grey Wolf
    I think that would count. The previous scene of Team Evil we'd seen at that point was of Xykon and Redcloak locating Serini's diary and discovering just how large their hobgoblin army was; the next time we saw them, they'd decided on a course for which Gate to target next and had mobilized the army.

    Something similar at the end of this book might be that they actually discover Kraagor's Gate, or discover something else that changes their course of action.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

    Hasnt this current one had the least Team Evil appearances so far? It would make sense for them to come up again.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •