The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 128
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default The Darkest Dungeon IC

    OOC thread

    Combat Sheet

    You've come to a village with no name. Well--it does have a name, but it isn't important. This is merely the last stop on your journey before you reach your destination. The call for adventurers, sellswords, ruin-delvers, and the like has reached far, and many of you have traveled far to get here. The ramshackle buildings, the muddy, rutted streets, and the dirt-smeared faces of the villagers don't seem to provide a fitting backdrop to begin such a lofty endeavour.

    The people watch you as you enter town. Strangers coming heavily armed--it isn't hard to guess why you're here. They seem to pause in what they're doing, regarding you with the dispassionate curiosity of one watching a doomed man go to die. A few exchange whispers. Most are too low for you to hear; a few are not. "Fresh batch o' fools, looks like. Wonder how long these'll last."

    There is a single inn in the town. A tattered sign hangs by the door, much like those you have seen far and wide calling for volunteers. This one is different, though: "The carriage stops at this point weekly." It's scheduled for tomorrow evening.

    The innkeeper, a human man who seems less scrawny and dirt-covered than most people you've seen here, waves absently as you enter. "Come in, come in. Here for the manor? Won't have long to wait, I reckon. Unless the carriage gets attacked again. Anyway, make y'self at home." The inn seems quiet; there are a few other travelers who trickle in through the course of the day and a handful of locals who come to drink. They keep their distance from you, alternating between curious stares and apparently pretending you do not exist. The food is simple but edible, the ale is cheap, and the only thing that can be said for the rooms is that they're better than sleeping on the ground--marginally. The night is marred only by fitful dreams and a vague sense of unease in the back of your mind.

    Around midday, a black carriage arrives in town from the twisted forest road, a road you have not seen used since you arrived. The villagers shuffle off hurriedly, as if they are afraid to linger too long nearby. As the carriage pulls up in front of the inn, you can see the driver is a haggard old man, dressed in clothing that was once fine, wearing a madman's rictus grin on his face. "New volunteers! Volunteers for the manor! Come along, don't be shy." He lets out an unsettling giggle.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If there's anything you want to do in town before the caretaker arrives, or if you want to interact with him or the other party members, go for it. Or if you want to say anything about how your character got here. Don't worry about the cost of room and food.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2019-04-14 at 10:11 AM.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lokyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Derevi found his way towards a table, sitting down and looking around the room as he waited. Occasionally he'd stare at a single occupant for a while, taking in their appearance, and hazarding a guess as to their remaining lifespan. Anyone could die any day, certainly. A stray arrow, a rusted nail that becomes infected, bad milk. But a person's lifespan was more about how long they'd live barring the freak accident. And much in a person's appearance could give you clues. Relative health was only one aspect, too. How well they groomed themselves said much about their general level of cleanliness, which could extend or reduce their life. The kind of people they sat with. Clothing often said much of a person's wealth, and therefore access to medicine.

    Guessing how long someone would live based on these factors was a little game he played to pass the time. It's not like he could tell if he was right or wrong, he wouldn't be keeping track of them to find out, in fact he'd likely forget the faces before he left the building. It sometimes felt like Kangee knew, but if so then Kangee never said. Maybe it was a rule, to know and not tell. That made sense. Knowing would make the game less fun.

    When the serving girl arrived Derevi caught her gaze and put up a hand to forestall her questions, inevitably 'are your parents coming?' or 'are you here alone?'. They were not, but he was not. He placed a coin on the table and whispered to Kangee on his shoulder, who turned to the girl.

    "Food! Meat and water!" it cawed, louder likely than the nearest table would have preferred but still an impressive level of control for a bird. To confirm for the girl he pushed the coin across to her, eye contact unbroken.

    "27 if she stays here, 42 if she moves away." he half-whispered to Kangee. Kangee, maybe knowing, said nothing.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Kazrag walked into the bar, found a table where he could sit with his back to the wall with good visibility to the door and the rest of the room, and he sat down, his gun still in reach. He raised an eyebrow as the bird let out a loud scream of words and handed the serving girl a coin as she walked past. He didn't much care what she brought him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Dolmir walks in and sits down at Kazrag's table, not caring that he has his back to most of the tavern.

    "Food. Beer, and lots of it" he snaps at the waitress. He punctuates it with a long, raspy cough, and spits a gob of suspiciously dark pleghm on the floor.
    Semper ludens.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Walking into the inn, Cardon was a little disquited by the locals' reaction to him and the other new arrivals. The other travelers would probably be more friendly, and he should probably try to learn something about them, as they'd be working together after all.

    He made his way to the table the newcomers seemed to gather around. "That seat's not taken, is it?" without waiting for a reply, he plopped down in a chair, leaning back with a contented sigh.

    "I figure we're here for the same thing," he said. "It's good to meet you. I'm Cardon."

    Another sigh followed as he took the first sip of his beer. The fare and the board might be humble, but it was still good to get off his feet.

    Should the evening prove otherwise uneventful, Cardon would tuck in for an early night. There would be work to do in the morning.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Elsabet had been coming to dives like these for as long as she cared to remember. Since she had joined the cult of the Old Ways, establishments like these had become necessary parts of her life, meeting contacts, finding components, things all of the like. All it had ever taken was a flash of the mark on her palm and she generally got whatever she wanted. Born with the Eye of the Elder as a birthmark, she had been viewed by many as a threat or curse, and a few as a portent of things to come. She had learned quickly what the mark meant - what it would get her in life, and where, exactly, it could take her.

    And so, here she had ended up. In this festering corner of the world, where they needed brave volunteers - or stupid volunteers? - and she was one of the first in line. When the call for the carriage came, she wasted little time in leaving the dingy tavern and making her way outside, along with a few other. An interesting lot, indeed... she wondered if any of them were as insane as she was.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Midday finds Dolmir Palen sitting outside. His stubby fingers are busy re-bandaging his hands. He hasn't removed his helmet. As the carriage arrives, the dwarf simply stands up, hefts his earthbreaker, and climbs aboard.
    Semper ludens.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Frederick advanced lofty through the town, his armor tucked amongst his belongings for comfort in a clear misunderstanging or indifference to the place he was headed towards.

    He scarcely payed attention to the ramblings of the dirt-born doomsayers that would soon bow to him, and made his way to the tavern, deliberately avoiding interaction, not that anyone was likely to look for it with him; and buying the most expensive and so barely palatable drink and food the village could muster.

    Fully armored in the morning, he smiles at the coach man like no one had likely done before, no one walking above the earth at least. And entered the coach with anyone else, leaving the man to handle the mechanics of moving his mule through a speedy journey. He let himself catch some sleep in the dull seat of the coach, grumbling at the perpetous bumps on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

    I would really appreciate it.

    homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

    human ranger substitution levels

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    You board the carriage, along with several other strangers--it appears their purpose is the same as yours. Unsurprising--it seems there is little else to draw one such as yourselves to this place. The six of you make a tight fit, but you settle in as best you can and the carriage begins to move.



    You will arrive along the old road. It winds with a troubling, serpent-like suggestion through the corrupted countryside. Leading only, I fear, to ever more tenebrous places. There is a sickness in the ancient pitted cobbles of the old road and on its writhing path you will face viciousness, violence, and perhaps other damnably transcendent terrors. So steel yourself and remember: there can be no bravery without madness. The old road will take you to hell, but in that gaping abyss we will find our redemption.

    The road is twisted and winding. Pits and rocks show how little it has been maintained, and as the pair of jet-black horses pulls the carriage faster and faster you feel every jolt and twist, as you are bounced in your seats or tossed against one another. Frederick finds it exceedingly difficult to get any sleep under these conditions. You hear the carriage driver muttering and mumbling, presumably to himself, though the sound is drowned out by the rattling of the wheels as you continue to pick up speed. On several of the twisting curves the carriage tilts alarmingly, yet continues to pick up speed... Until your driver does take a turn too fast, and the carriage tips onto its side with a thunderous crash. You are all tossed to one side and forwards, stunned for a long moment by the impact.

    As you begin to regain your wits and your bearings, you push open the side door, now facing upward, and climb out. The carriage has tipped and come to rest perilously close to an embankment. A little further and you may have had a significant fall to deal with as well. As it is, you are scuffed and battered but overall unhurt. The horses are less lucky, it seems. Pulled over with the carriage, one's leg is jutting out at an unnatural angle, and the other is pinned beneath the weight of its fellow--you cannot tell at first glance if it has suffered serious harm. Both let out cries of pain and alarm, looking about with wild eyes. Cases of supplies which were stacked on top of the carriage are strewn about, some broken open, some still intact. Of the driver there is no sign. You are on your own to complete your journey to the hamlet.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone takes (1d3)[2] damage from the crash. As usual this comes from your vigor points unless you're out of those (which no one should be).

    There are (2d6-2)[6] cases of supplies still intact, containing basic supplies such as food, bandages, torches, and vials of various liquids. Some small amount of supplies can be scavenged from the other cases which have broken, but most of their contents have been ruined. Each intact case weighs 15lbs, and they are bulky--unless you can devise some other way of transporting them each will occupy a hand, or you can hold one in both hands and stack others on top of it (subject to your strength, of course). These supplies will likely be useful to the hamlet, though it is up to you how much effort you put into recovering them.

    You do not know the state of the road or precisely how long you have left to travel. It is early afternoon as best you can tell--the heavy tree cover makes it difficult to tell precisely.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Kazrag pulls himself off the ground, silently rolling his shoulder to make sure its not broken. Finding himself in one piece he quickly goes over his gear, checking it for any breaks or damage. Finding his ammo and gear intact he gets up and pulls the locket out of his armor. He pops it open and allows himself the luxury of looking at the unblemished picture for a bit.

    With a sigh he puts it away inside the safety of his armor and pulls out a rope. He ties one end around one of the boxes and slings it over his back.

    "We should get the rest of the gear on that mule, though I'd be careful to overload it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Frederick gathers himself after the abrupt awakening with a groan. Dirty and slightly bruised but alive, He climbed outside the carriage with obvious strain and went about inspecting Matilda and his possesions, grabbing the crossbow and bolts with a grunt of effort.

    He nodded at the hobgoblin's suggestion and added a "Good thinking..." the silence asking for a name, yet after the comment he stayed near the mule gently petting it, with seemingly no intentions of picking the crates or littered contents himself.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2019-04-01 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

    I would really appreciate it.

    homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

    human ranger substitution levels

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    "I guess we're walking, then. Some of you longshanks pick up the small stuff.". The dwarf takes out his own rope, and lashes the remain crates together in one stack, picking them up with a grunt.
    Semper ludens.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    After righting himself, Cardon made a beeline to the fallen horses. One of them would clearly be lamed for life, but they might be able to save the other one. They'd need them calm to untangle them though, they were liable to lash out at anyone getting close as it were.

    Making sure to approach them from the front, Cardon tried to calm them down. "Shh... Whoah there. I know it hurts. It'll be okay."

    Spoiler: Handle Animal
    Show
    (1d20+7)[10]
    Last edited by Get; 2019-04-02 at 06:26 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lokyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Derevi picked himself up from where he'd been thrown, checking on the condition of his bow, Kangee, and them himself. When none seemed in immediate danger he carefully climbed up onto the overturned carriage to get a wider view of the area they'd found themselves in while the others saw to the supplies and horses. The dwarf's suggestion to gather up the remainder was met by a flat look and promptly ignored, returning to his vigil. He carried everything he needed to survive. He wasn't being paid to be a porter, and if the supplies were so vital then they should have hired a more reliable driver.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord Rolls
    In order: Perception, Survival, Knowledge(Geography)
    Purpose: Check the immediate area, signs of potential dangers (presumably wildlife), and identify where we are relative to our destination

    Perception: (1) + 11 = 12
    Survival: (15) + 6 = 21
    Knowledge(Geography): (1) + 4 = 5
    If it's at all possible to take 10 on those I will, especially that last one. I was not expecting to roll quite so badly on something as simple as 'Where are we?'
    Last edited by Lokyar; 2019-04-02 at 09:12 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Elsabet dusts the dirt from her armor, getting to her feet with a frown on her face. As glad as she is to be off that death trap of a carriage, it's a shame the thing wrecked. She's not nearly so upset about the disappearance of the driver. Crazy man just about got them all killed, so what if he was a casualty of his own foolishness?
    "We keep moving," she speaks with authority, taking no care for the horses or the broken supplies. The dwarf was already carrying a good deal of what they could salvage - good on him. She made a mental note that he might be worth keeping around. "Who takes point? And can all of you see fine in the darkness?" she asks.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Derevi scans the area from his vantage point. He sees no sign of predators about, either one lurking nearby or tracks where one has passed by previously. The crash did heavily disturb much of the dirt in the area, however. This is not an area he’s particularly familiar with—the manor’s location was remote, even before it fell to ruin—but you could see the ruined house on its perch when you set off, so you can estimate how much further there is to go. Your best guess is that it will take another 2-3 hours by foot, more if you are laden with supplies.

    Frederick is unsuccessful in calming his mule. The animal shoes away from him, weakly yanking on its halter and looking about wildly. Cardon has somewhat better luck with the horses—they recognize an experienced handler and calm down at least partially, though they are both on edge.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lokyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Derevi jumped down off the carriage to land near Elsabet, speaking in a rough half-whisper that likely didn't reach anyone other than the half-elf woman. "Can see fine until full dark, then I have light."

    Pausing for a moment Derevi looked in the direction of the manor. "Three hours to reach town if we leave the supplies and move now. Maybe four if we don't but push hard. Longer if we find trouble." Derevi's eyes returned to Elsabet's. "If we are still on the roads after dark we risk finding night predators. If we do then the animals will panic, run off, and die regardless. Weigh the risk against your confidence."

    Placing his thumb and forefinger against the undersides of his eyes he dragged them downward and a dark film covered the exposed whites, until they were as black and shiny as those of the raven perched on his shoulder. At the same time a sense of mild unease spread across the clearing, as inexplicably said bird seemed to take on a menacing aspect without actually seeming to change in appearance whatsoever. "I will scout the path ahead. Kangee will call out or return to you if there is danger. We should leave soon."

    Spoiler: Effects
    Show
    Derevi is casting See Hazzard (-1 SP). I get a free perception check when coming within 25' of a trap or hazard, whether natural, magical, or mechanical. Lasts for one hour, I will recast as needed (3SP remaining) until we make it to town.

    Kangee is casting Greater Serendipity (Concentrating as a move action each round). +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws of allies within 20', and -1 penalty to same of enemies within 20'.
    Last edited by Lokyar; 2019-04-02 at 01:11 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    "Just give me a minute here," he tells Derevi absently, as he begins trying to untangle the remains of the reins that keep the horses attached to the remains of the wrecked carriage.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    With a reluctant sigh Frederick muttered something about incompetence and went to inspect the broken boxes himself, remembering to clean himself up with a couple of flickers of his hand.

    When passing the mageknight he pondered for a moment before remembering his name, and deciding to see if he was more disposed to help the common good (that may or may not involve making him look good) "Carton, right? mind trying with my mule, it'll do us good if she doesn't run off with whatever goods we gather."

    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception to search the broken crates: (1d20)[8]
    Last edited by neriractor; 2019-04-03 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

    I would really appreciate it.

    homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

    human ranger substitution levels

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Cardon eventually gets the horses free, though the one with the broken leg appears unable to walk or stand. With several strong backs you are able to get the other horse free from beneath the first and back on its feet. It takes some time for the group to calm Frederick's mule, but eventually it seems to wear itself out and allows itself to be untied without attempting to bolt. Both animals are still on edge from the pained sounds coming from the injured horse. Frederick gathers what he can from the broken crates, though most of what he finds is no longer usable; he recovers perhaps half a crate's worth. The sun slips somewhat closer to the horizon.

    Derevi slips ahead of the group a bit. The road seems to be clear in the immediate vicinity, which is probably fortunate--you can hear the sounds of the Cardon trying to free the horses and the others gathering supplies carrying for a fair distance.

    With the elf moving ahead and giving no warning of immediate danger, the rest of you may gather up what you've recovered and set off, unless there's something else to do here at the carriage.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Marching order, please.

    How much do you load onto the horse/mule? As of right now I believe Kazrag has one hand occupied and Dolmir both, unless you offload some things.

    Are you going for a hurried pace to get there as quickly as possible, or taking things slower to give you more time to observe and potentially pass by whatever you might encounter without being noticed?
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Kazrag tosses a pair of crates over the horses back, like a saddlebag, not wanting to put more on as the thing was skittish enough already. Kazrag then took up point position, his rifle heald at a low ready, a normal cartridge already loaded.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Kazrag will take point and he'll move a t a brisk, but not overly fast pace. He'd rather take a bit longer instead of rush and possibly hurt themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Dolmir nods his head further down the road, and sets out a steady pace.
    Semper ludens.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    "It's Cardon, yeah. Can you take the animals ahead? We'll have to put that one down, it'd be cruel to leave it. I'll be right with you."

    As soon as they were out of sight, Cardon knelt down between the lame horse, blade in hand. Putting one hand on its coat to soothe it, he plunged the dagger deep into its neck, sending its heartsblood spurting into the dirt.

    As he rose to follow the rest of the group, he caught a glimpse of his own reflection, distorted in pooling crimson. He hurried away, cleaning his blade as he went.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Doing a coup-de-grace on the horse. As for marching order, Cardon is probably ideally situated near the front. I say we make haste as much as we can, with the animals speeding us up we might still make the town before nightfall.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lokyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Returning to the clearing Derevi saw the others gathering to head out, and whispered something to the bird on his shoulder. A moment later "Clear!" rang out from the bird, and he turned back.

    Staying a short distance ahead to check for any obstacles, with Kangee flitting from tree to tree to get an overhead view, he would occasionally fall back into sight to ensure the others of his continued presence (and lack of immediate danger) to allow them to focus on the animals and making all possible haste.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Derevi will be a short distance ahead in a scout position, with Kangee moving between tree branches within 20' of him.

    I will move as fast as I can based on the group's collective speed to stay just out ahead of them, though the preference is for faster until dusk starts making things a bit more trecherous.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    "Sure thing"

    Frederick dumps his meager cargo on the mule and heads merrily to a suitable position amongst the other volunteers, there is something about getting a new horse that made a man chipper.

    He cared to hurry everyone non-verbally to a decent pace though what he could keep up as a "decent pace" was likely entirely too slow as he was quickly repelled from actually mounting the horse.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll take somewhere middleish to the back like fourth, and will advodcate for a glacial pace for the sake of character, but really better to go steady without just blazing through the forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

    I would really appreciate it.

    homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

    human ranger substitution levels

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Elsabet decides to bring up the rear - not only because her heavily armored backside can take a beating from anyone that sneaks up behind them, but also because she's walking at about the same pace as the dwarf. "Stay together, now!" she calls, as much for her sake as for everyone else's.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    The group sets out, making decent time despite the poor road conditions. Kazrag and Cardon are up front in the main group, Dolmir with his stack of crates reaching perilously up past the top of his head in the middle, and Frederick and Elsabet bringing up the rear. Up ahead you catch brief glimpses of Derevi and his raven, and hear the bird occasionally call out that the way is still open. The forest around you is quiet, showing no sign of predators which may be stalking you.

    Spoiler: DC 10 Knowledge (Nature) or Survival
    Show
    It's too quiet, actually. The normal animal sounds you'd expect to hear are worryingly absent.


    Up ahead, Derevi pauses suddenly as you get a feeling that you should check your surroundings more closely. Sure enough, you see four ropes leading from the edges of the path up into the trees, and the dirt up ahead seems freshly spread as if something might be concealed beneath.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Derevi is about 10' from the trap (the See Hazard talent specifies you get the perception check 10' from the hazard, not 25'--do you have something I missed which modifies that distance?). The rest of the group is roughly 50-60' behind, I'll say. Far enough to keep them out of immediate sight of any threats you might spot, close enough to get there and help quickly. The rest of you have not yet noticed anything untoward.
    DMing:
    The Darkest Dungeon: IC / OOC / DOC

    A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lokyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Spotting the imminent, and intentional, pitfall Derevi pauses and scans the area for any further telltale clues. After a moment his patience was rewarded as he heard a slight shuffling sound, followed by another across the way. Nodding to Kangee he turned back and silently returned to the group. When they came into sight he raised a finger to his mouth to forestall any questions until he could draw closer. "There's signs of some form of trap on the road. Likely a pit, possibly spiked. At least two people, armed, waiting nearby to catch whoever springs it. My guess is they expected to crash the wagon, then attack while we were disoriented."

    Although he speaks to the group he seems to be looking to Elsabet more than anyone else.
    Last edited by Lokyar; 2019-04-06 at 06:20 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    Dolmir:

    "It's quiet. Too quiet". *Cough* *wheeze*
    Semper ludens.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hannahbbug3's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Darkest Dungeon IC

    "A trap?" Elsabet asks, looking forward along the road. Now that Dolmir mentions it, she supposes it is a bit quiet... but she's not up enough on the natural world to be able to infer the danger from that. She moves towards the front of the group when Derevi looks to her. "What would you have me do?" she asks.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

    If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

    -Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •