New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Trial of character: Whiteflash

So, I'm including two starts. I'm still working on the fluff start but if you'd like a bit of RP first, feel free to start there. If not, feel free to read the dungeon start and we'll get to it.

Fluff start:
    Spoiler
    Show

You find yourself loaded onto a massive vessel with others from the city. Dusk is quickly approaching, the selection process has taken all day. Glancing around you notice that the vessel seems relatively simple, despite the massive army that has now boarded it. If this were a military ship you'd expect to see more armaments. A man of an unfamiliar race stands before you in shackles. He is the one that selected you along with the soldier that accompanied him lead you to a small cabin. He opens the door and waves a hand inside. He then stands still and says, "these will be your quarters for our journey. I will fetch you in the morning for breakfast."

Dungeon start:
    Spoiler
    Show

You awake and find yourself in the middle of a large, 80'x80' room. You are laying on the floor next to a pedestal. Glancing around from your position you notice 4 openings. There is an opening in each corner that measures 20' across. Standing you can see there are 12 runes carved into the pedestal. There is a tablet submerged in the liquid. You can see there is writing on the tablet.

Your sheet
    Last edited by Deadlykire; 2019-04-20 at 03:08 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trial of character: Whiteflash

Is the liquid clear enough to read the tablet through? If so, I do that.

Edit: I'd assumed the liquid was in a container on the pedestal. After a quick-reread, that doesn't appear to be explicitly stated. Is it true? I don't think it would change how I handle this, I'm just trying to figure out the layout.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-03-31 at 01:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

(The pedestal is more like a basin, so it is filled with liquid. There is something at the bottom of the basin, under the liquid)

As you peer into the liquid it becomes less murky. It stops swirling, and as it does you can read the text.

“Pay heed to these words, for your trials have just begun.
    Prove your worth and the rewards will be great.
    Fail and it is death’s embrace you await.

The hearty and strong brave the fire,
    The fit and nimble flock to the sea,
    The sturdy and swift amble along,
    While the the sage hears the winds of fate.

Yet all shape this world,
    Your path is yours to decide.

Will you remain stalwart?
    Follow the rivers to the sea?
    Trek through mountain and marsh?
    Remain aloft in the breeze?

The weave is destructive and divine,
    But the cost is high.

NOW CHOOSE.”
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Straightforward. It sounds like my character is best suited for the fire or the wind, but the fire sounds more consistent with what I'd planned to do.

I look through the openings. What do I see through each?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-01 at 03:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

(Oh so much. Give me a starting corner and order at least please. If you want to edit your post before this, I'll then edit this post with updates.)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If there's only one that appears to be on fire, I want to start there. If not, I look for a river visible through one. If that's not an option, start with the one in front of Deon and to his left. (He's still facing the pedestal.)

As for the order, why not go from left to right?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-01 at 07:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

(Starting in the NW then! You can't see what you were looking for, but I think you'll be able to figure it out from the descriptions anyhow)

As you approach the doorway in the NW you notice that there is no door. The light in the room shifts from a soft orange-yellow into a dull red. The closer you get to the door the more vibrant the red becomes. As you stand in the doorway you feel a hot, dry breeze on your face. Your lips feel like they are drying out and cracking in the never ending breeze. To the left and right there are 10' wide hallways that extend for 50' before turning out of sight.

As you back away and rotate towards the NE doorway the breeze stops. The light begins to faded and return to its original orange-yellow color. As you get closer to the NE doorway the light shifts to a dull green, before shifting to a deep, but bright, green. As you stand in the NE doorway you feel another breeze. This time the breeze feels like it has a bit of moisture. There is a familiar scent on the air that reminds you of home. There is again a 10' wide hallway that extends 50' before turning out of sight.

Backing away from the door the breeze again stops. As you shift to the SE doorway the light shifts from green, the the orange-yellow, to a dull blue-green. As you approach the doorway the light becomes brighter, illuminating the room again. Standing in the doorway you again feel another breeze. This breeze is cooler than the last, and seems to be leaving the tiniest drops of water on your face as you stand there. As you try to wipe it away, your hand feels wet however looking at it, there is no moisture to be seen. You stare beyond the door to see another pair of hallways like before.

Backing away from the SE door you begin rotating to the SW. The light again shifts, this time settling on a blue-white color. The breeze in this doorway is more aggressive, the wind whipping you in the face. It feels as if the air is razor sharp, almost cutting your skin. You can feel your face heating up. Peering beyond the doorway, you again see another pair of halls.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Deon turns back to the watery blue-green room for a few seconds before sighing and turning back to the hot orange one. He braces himself for the heat and walks through the door.

9. - Top - End - #9

(It was red, the normal light is orangeish like from a torch)

You again feel the hot, dry breeze on your face as this large room is lit up with a brilliant red glow. As you pass through the doorway the breeze stops. You find yourself standing at the intersection of two halls, one to the West and one to the North. Both are 50' long. The one to the West seems to turn North, and the one to the North seems to turn West.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

It sounds like they're likely to meet.

Do I see any difference between the two halls apart from the directions they go in?

11. - Top - End - #11

They look exactly the same.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Then I guess north works.

(Does Deon know which directions are which? Or is that just so you and I can keep track?)

13. - Top - End - #13

(It is mostly so I can keep track and you and I are on the same page. Especially if you are trying to scribble out your own map, or Deon does)

As you head north you are met with a bend. You look around the corner, see another hallway that is about 50' long. At the end is another archway like the one you passed through behind. As you look, it does seem the hallways do meet again, as this Western hallway turns back South.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

So, is the way that looks like it will take me around in a circle the only way forward?

If so, I take the circle.

15. - Top - End - #15

As you walk around you realize that these hallways form a square. There are 2 doorways, in opposite corners. There is the doorway you entered through and a second one on the far side.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Deon leaves through the door he didn't enter through: the one that leads east rather than south.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-08 at 01:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

As you walk through the NE doorway you hear a faint popping sound. Before you stands a long hallway, you are unable to see the end. The hall is about 20' wide and dimly lit, although there don't appear to be any sources of light. You can make out the faintest traces of a wall at the furthest edges of your field of view.

If you continue down the hall:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wisdom saving throw please!
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I continue down the hall.

(1d20+2)[11]

... not looking so great?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-09 at 07:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

As you walk down the hall, the temperature seems to be rising. You continue a bit further when all of a sudden the heat becomes extremely intense. Your skin dries out almost instantly and begins to crack. You look up and see flames licking the ceiling. As you look back down they've spread, engulfing the walls and floor around you.

(What do you do?)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The tablet told me to "brave the fire," right?

Besides, it's a little late to do anything but move forward and try to reach the far wall. So, I do that.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-10 at 03:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

As you move forward the flames continue to grow. You feel an intense pain all over your body, as you glance down you see that your clothes have ignited and you are beginning to burn. You continue to trudge forward hoping to just make it out of the far. As you get closer you can see that your way is barred, the hall just ends. As you come to this realization, the floor beneath you falls away and you begin to fall, still burning.

The air around you cools as you fall, yet you remain engulfed in flame. As you look down, you can see yourself falling into a large fire below. Looking about wildly you realize there are no walls, you are falling through the sky. As you look down again, you see a familiar sight below you. The view below is exactly what you'd expect to see if you flew over your home. Yet everything was engulfed in fire. As you get closer to the ground you can hear the screams of the others who lived there. The ground quickly approaches. You brace yourself for what can only be your death...but it never arrives. You open your eyes and look around to see yourself back in the hallway. 10' in front of you stands a large wooden door.

You are disadvantaged until you take a long rest and take a single point of damage.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Deon takes a second or two to shake off a bit of the shock, then forces it down to deal with later and looks for a way to open the door.

23. - Top - End - #23

As you look for a way to open the door you realize that there is no lock and it'll easily open. You tug the handle lightly, as you do and the door cracks open you can hear faint scratching against the stone beyond.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the interior beyond the door look at all lit, from however much I can see through the crack?

And was the belaying pin I got from my background at all damaged by whatever just happened?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-04-13 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Accidentally added an extra quotation mark

25. - Top - End - #25

Just peaking through the crack you can see the room beyond has low light, but you don't see any torches.

Thinking of your pin you find it and notice it doesn't have any damage. In fact, as you search you realize nothing on your person or flesh is singed.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet it all felt so real. And... while I can't find an injury, I... feel injured?

What kind of door is the door in front of Deon? Is it a double door? If not, what direction does it open in?

27. - Top - End - #27

It is a basic, single wood door that opens inward (towards you). It is thick, and has a large metal handle and simple latch.
    Last edited by Deadlykire; 2019-04-15 at 11:45 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Are the hinges on Deon's right, or his left? Or is it a double door?

29. - Top - End - #29

On your left. As you stand inspecting the door you see a shadow flicker in front of you in the room beyond. You can hear something scraping against stone.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I take out the belaying pin and move to the left of the door.

If I open the door, the door will be between me and whatever's beyond the door while it moves into the room I'm in, right?

Does that give me advantage, or an attack of opportunity while it's moving around the door, or anything?