New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: It begins...

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default It begins...

It was the calm before the storm. Men readied their weapons at the walls. Refuges huddled closely inside the inner city ring. Then the hurricane hit.

Wave after wave of kobolds stormed the outer walls of Layford. Soldiers from the walls threw stones and arrows flew through the sky, striking down the ugly reptilian beasts.

You have been asked, along with several other more "rugged" individuals, to help keep the refugees safe. There are roughly three hundred families here, some of them from the farming communities outside the city. There are wounded amoung them. There are four gates leading into the outer ring, one at each directional axis.

{{Place your name at the top of every post in Bold and choose a special color for your dialog but not red. As for now, describe what you look like and what you are currently doing to help. Oh, and try to use present tense...past tense makes reading this kind of thing difficult for me at least.}}

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: It begins...

Periwinkle Dayspire

((I'll use this color if that's OK.))

A halfling just a handful of years past the start of true adulthood circulates through the refuges, using her skills to help design makeshift bandages and stop further bleeding. Her skin is very pale, her waist-length hair and eyes the same rich shade of brown. Dressed in simple robes of deep blue under leather armor, she is accompanied by her shaggy, yellow-furred riding dog. For a halfling, she is quite tall, doing her best to remain fully upright despite her heavy backpack.
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2007-10-01 at 06:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Ontar Killsnath

OOc: I'll use lime, please.

IC:Ontar walks among the refugees, healing whomever he can, wrapping bandages, stiching wounds, and the like. He doesn't use his spells, since the injuries weren't very serious. (OOc:Were they?)
    He has 5 'o-clock shadow, and his face glistens with sweat as he hustles through the people.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateCaptain

{{I'll need generic Heal checks from the both of you...just one for this scene.}}

Ontar
    You see there is one refugee, a nine year old boy, with a compound fracture. Nothing too serious, as you have seen people heal from it before, but it still looks nasty. His mother is holding him, crying as he cries.

5. - Top - End - #5

There, there, lad. Is there anything I can do to help? Periwinkle approaches, prepared to help if his mother does not object (she knows that people who are distressed occasionally do not act rationally and so may refuse aid if approached too quickly).

Spoiler
    Show

Heal check...
    (1d20)[17] +6

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

((Dark Blue then?))

Clement

A young gnome tries to help with some of the menial labor, trying to keep his mind off of the battle outside. He carries a pail of water nearly half his own size to the hurt and the thirsty. His sword and armor make the task awkward, interfering with his already encumbered walk. His hair doesn't appear to have been tended any time recently; he twitches his head every so often to try to shake some its sweaty clumps from his eyes.

He offers the pail to the boy, the halfling and the mother, asking simply:

'Water?'

7. - Top - End - #7

Periwinkle Dayspire

Why, thank you. The halfling looks at him, surprised to see someone small like herself here and actively helping. Are you from around these parts? Oh, I'm Periwinkle Dayspire. I'd shake your hand, but I'm not exactly clean at the moment. She waves a grimy hand at her robes, dusted in dirt at the bottom and with splotches of dried blood on a few places.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Clement Waterwallow

Name's Clem. he answers in a high voice. His speech is quick and jittery. Not so much from around here. Really just happened across this place, heard about the lizards an couldn't help but give service.
    Not sure I still think that was the brightest move.
    He forces a lifeless laugh.
    Don't know what use I can be around here, though. Can't claim to know much bout helpin people like this. Again he twitches his mouth towards what should be a smile. Could I, ah, give a hand with anythin? Know there's others with water who're big an better carryin it; not helpin them out much anyways.

9. - Top - End - #9

Ontar Killsnath

Ontar walks over to the gnome, halfling and the mother and child. He bends down to check the halflings work. He nods approvingly. He stands up, and turns toward, and looks down at the halfling. "Good job. This is pretty good work. Where'd ya learn to do stuff like this?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

10. - Top - End - #10

Periwinkle Dayspire

Pleasure to meet you, Clem and...? Periwinkle's voice rises in pitch, indicating the newcomer should fill in his name. Assuming he does so, Greetings. Well, I learned the art of healing back home, along with my other druidic training. Clem, if you could help us scout out more of these people who need help, that would be helpful.

Spoiler
    Show

When will our homelands get names?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Clement

Ah, Sure thing then. Clem darts away to gather a few more of the wounded.

Spoiler
    Show
    That doesn't sound like too demanding a task. He'll probably send the first three he encounters toward Periwinkle as he finds them.

Out of curiosity, is there a faster way to get these spoiler bars up than typing into the brackets?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Simon
    (who speaks in this color unless somebody can't see it well)

A dwarf walks slowly around the mass of people without straying away. He doesn't seem in a hurry, staring at the distance and watching out for potential enemies. Every now and again he gives the crowd a thoughtful look, trying to pick out the able-bodied.
    If we are ambushed... Chances aren't good.
    His slow-moving robed shape, rather wide for his height, could easily be mistaken for a hunched old man or even woman, even more so since he uses his staff as a walking stick, a wooden *thump* sounding at each step he makes.

For the time being the dwarf doesn't show any interest in the wounded, and generally keeps his distance from any groups that seem particularly troubled or troublesome.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was waiting for the time of day, but since there's shadow in one of the previous posts, I guess I know what I need.

Also, I'm not aware of any spoiler button as such, or any way to spoiler things faster.
    Last edited by chrono; 2007-10-02 at 12:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateCaptain

{{It is morning for those interested.}}

As the wounded are tended to and a splint is made for the boy with the broken leg, an explosion erupts from the western side of the refugee group. Bodies fly and land hard on the cobble roads. Screams echo through the city and six small reptilian beasts jump from a newly made hole in the ground.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Simon

And so it begins. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this... The thoughts run through the dwarf's head before all the rubble from the explosion hits the ground. Simon pauses for just a second, long enough to focus on the scene of the blast.
    Sooner rather than later.

Moments later, as people scream and panic, the dwarf focuses and waves his hands in an intricate way. The commotion drowns his arcane words, but a shimmering field appears momentarily around him.
    Casting Mage Armor

You, You, You!, he tries to scream louder than everybody and points at whomever he thought even close to able-bodied or with anything resembling a weapon.
    The future is not too bright..., The dwarf's hand drops as he loses his temper for a moment.
    What are ye standing around for? Come with me, we have to protect this wretched place!
    It wasn't really a rally of troops. Nobody ever followed Simon for the sake of his leadership ability. But now... Now the only chance was to make those people focus, their brains had to kick in. Panic equals death; there wasn't any other place to run to and hide. There wasn't anybody left to protect them.
    THEY HAVE TO KNOW IT TOO!
    The dwarf pushs is thoughts aside as he movs toward the attackers.
    Come on you good-fer nothing cowards! Fight for yer life!, he screams one last time, not really hoping for much support from the refugees. Worth a try.

Spoiler
    Show
    Simon is not a front liner and he knows it, thus he will try to avoid hand-to-hand combat for the time being and will do his best not to get surrounded or overrun. He's also looking for any ranged or throwing weapons lying around that he can use (most likely in the hands of somebody too dead to use them).

P.S. edited out the stupidest thing I've said for the last month.
    Last edited by chrono; 2007-10-02 at 04:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Periwinkle Dayspire

Hurry, go take shelter farther away from the gates, she insists, urgently shooing those she had been helping. Carry the children or the injured if you must.

Periwinkle jumps to her feet and picks up her quarterstaff, sprinting to stand next to the dwarf and defend him from any of the kobolds who would attack him. The large dog that had been tagging along after her did not flee with the refuges, but stayed alongside her hastily dropped backpack and makeshift first aid supplies.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative roll- (1d20)[6] + 2

I'm assuming that Periwinkle can tell from the hand gestures and flicker of red energy (that's how I always imagined mage armor, anyway)that surrounded Simon that he's an arcane spellcaster. Therefore, she is on defensive right now, but with the intent of protecting Simon as much as herself.

Sorry I forgot to mention her riding dog earlier...

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateCaptain

{{Initiative rolls please}}

As you run for the group of kobolds, they begin their slaughter, attacking anyone nearby including children. Several men attempt to fight them back, but are cut down before being able to strike a blow.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Simon

Simon's gaze shifts from the attackers (assuming they're at least reasonably far away) and glances at the halfling. A small female ally with a stick, it seems.
    Now that I didn't expect...
    In fact, Simon was definitely expecting quite the opposite - a large male ally, preferably with a greatsword.

Seems this city is a bit shorter on resources than people thought.
    Bad time to give the scared crowd mixed signals too... Simon glares at the halfling, though it likely remains unnoticed due to the hood of his heavy robe.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming the explosion didn't happen right next to us, so there's no real surprise round, but we may still need to figure out action order.
    (1d20)[13] + 2 for initiative

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Clement Waterwallow

Clem stops for a moment, strapping his shield to his arm.

He's not sure how to respond to the commands he hears, but he squeaks out a response.
    I'll be there! I can help!

Spoiler
    Show

[roll0]

[move1]-Draw Shield
    [move2]-Attach shield

Ctrl+V is the 'paste' function, but thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Weasel; 2007-10-03 at 12:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Apparently the 'preview post' button foils the forum roller too.

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20)[18]+1

20. - Top - End - #20

Ontar Killsnath

Ontar swears, and draws his morningstar and picks up his shield off the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20)[2]
    Move 1:Draw Morningstar.
    Move 2:Pick up shield.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Order
    20-Kobold#1
    19-Clement Waterwallow
    18-Kobold#4
    16-Kobold#2
    15-Simon
    13-Kobold#3
    8-Periwinkle Dayspire
    7-Kobold#6
    3-Kobold#5
    2-Ontar Killsnath

Here's how it will work. Describe what kind of attack you are attempting to make and then roll for it. I will then describe the events, after which I will call on the next person to post. This is how all combat will be done, not just this one because there are monsters in between you all.

By this point, you have all gotten within range of the Kobolds. They are numbered with 1 being the farthest from the hold and 6 being the closest to the hole. Kobolds 3, 4, and 6 have noticed the four of you running toward them.

Kobold#1 uses his turn to cut down the last of the attacking commoners.
    Next Turn: Clement Waterwallow

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Clement

Clem runs toward the Halfling and Dwarf, sword out, preparing to swing at the first kobold to come into reach.

Spoiler
    Show

[Move1]15 foot movement
    [free]Draw sword while moving
    [standard]Ready attack agains first kobold in reach
    Potential Attack Roll - (1d20)[16]+3
    Potential Damage Roll - (1d6)[4]

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Clement swings across, cutting Kobold#1 across the chest, but it is still up.

Kobold #4 sees this and approaches you. It jabs at you with its spear, but you manage to dodge it.

Kobold #2 joins his friend in attacking. It too jabs at you with its spear, but it too misses. You can see on their faces that they know they are no longer facing mere commoners.

The rest of the Kobolds are aware of the fight.

Next Turn: Simon

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Simon

Getting warmer. At least he has a sword.

Simon takes a deep breath and moves a few feet sideways (and/or back) so that both newcomers stand between him and as many kobolds as possible.

(OOC: he isn't trying to move away from the battle, just positioning himself so he isn't charged from multiple sides and he doesn't end up in the front line all of a sudden)

The dwarf waves his hands in an intricate pattern and speaks out a few strange words, then squishes what looks like a pinch of wool from his cloak between his fingers. He then points at one of the kobolds surrounding the fighter. Momentarily it seems there's a mist around his fingers, then it dissipates.

Why don't you play fair for once? he says with a low, level tone.

OOC: casting daze at Kobold #2 (DC 13 if I'm not mistaken).

25. - Top - End - #25

PirateCaptain

Kobold#2 lowers its weapon to its side and grabs its head with the opposite hand, as if trying to remember something important. It also seems to be having balance issues.

Kobold#3 notices that his companion's strange behavior is associated with the gestures made by the dwarf. He spins a sling over his head and tosses a stone, which nicks your arm, but all you get from it is a small bruise. Nothing serious.
    {{-1 HP}}

Next Turn: Periwinkle Dayspire

26. - Top - End - #26

Periwinkle swings her quarterstaff at kobold #3.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[15] to hit
    If it hits, damage is (1d4+1)[5].

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateCaptain

Periwinkle knocks Kobold#3 across the face, knocking it to its knees and spitting teeth.

Kobold#6 takes aim at Clement with his sling and tosses a stone. It is far off target and knocks harmlessly into a building.

Kobold#5 aims a sling at Periwinkle and knocks her in the ribs. {{2 damage}}

Next Turn: Ontar Killsnath

28. - Top - End - #28

Ontar throws his shield to the ground, scattering pebbles and dust, and lunges at Kobold #5, yelling a battle cry, and blasts the Kobold with negative energy.

Spoiler
    Show

Move 1:Discard shield
    Move 2:Cast Inflict Light Wounds
    Will Save (Half Damage) DC:14
    (1d8+1)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

(1d20+1)[11] That's my attack roll.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateCaptain

The second before making contact, the Kobold dives to the side.

Round 2
    Reiteration of the Initiative:
    20-Kobold#1
    19-Clement Waterwallow
    18-Kobold#4
    16-Kobold#2
    15-Simon
    13-Kobold#3
    8-Periwinkle Dayspire
    7-Kobold#6
    3-Kobold#5
    2-Ontar Killsnath

Kobold #1, angered by the sword slash to the chest, returns the favor with his spear. {{-2}}

Next turn: Clement Waterwallow