The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 274
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Now it's Kotetsu's turn to act indignant.

    Sort of. A slight crease of the brow, an almost frown; she doesn't get very upset, but just a little defensive.

    "What's wrong with my clothing? Black is very utilitarian, you know. The clothes aren't constricting nor binding so as long as I can more around and it's not something garish, I don't see the problem. Better to wear something you can work in, I say."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The students' ambient chatter ground to a halt with the arrival of their instructor, a woman in the light blue robe common to academy instructors that introduced herself as Shiba Enko. The lesson itself proceeded smoothly, although there was a certain amount of groaning from some of the students - mostly commoners - who hadn't known what to expect when Shiba Enko discussed expectations and it became clear that the students would be spending nearly as much time in classrooms as they would at the training grounds. That groan was offset by the revelation that there would be regular beast hunts. After all, she explained with a smile, the best experience was firsthand experience.

    So it was that a week later the entire class was on its first beast hunt and the students found themselves jogging through one of the city's many mountain tunnels. For, while the mountains shielded White Cloud City and augmented the city's impressive defenses, over the centuries the denizens had carved an elaborate network of tunnels. While some led deep underground to the mines and some led to (heavily fortified) connections to natural cave complexes (and both the treasures and demon beasts within them), many simply were simply carved tunnels that connected the various fertile valleys of the mountain range.

    The class emerged from the tunnel into the morning light of the site of today's hunt, Goldendew Valley. Sensi Shiba led the class to a clearing and guestrued for everyone to gather around, which they did with varying degrees of lungs burning from the morning exertion of running here. The students were directed to form into hunting groups - as they'd discussed in class, Goldendew Valley was home to few beasts that should be able to seriously threaten them a small group of adepts. The students had until sundown to hunt, but if they collected 5 soul gems they could leave early.

    "Any questions?" Finished Sensi Shiba.

    Spoiler: Common Knowledge
    Show
    Both ends of the tunnels are sealed by heavy stone doors, which are covered with an inscription pattern. To open the door, one simply places their hand on the door and speaks a command. While simple to open, it prevents demon-beasts from also using the tunnels. The tunnels that connect to White Cloud City are also guarded just in case, and the tunnels can be collapsed to seal them in an emergency.

    As per class discussions, Goldendew Valley is home to several notable varieties of demon beasts. The most common are the hives of Giant Ants that dot the valley. Most of the hive consists of Worker ants which are individually weak, being about the size of a large dog with underdeveloped claws. Solider ants, which are larger with better developed claws and projectile acid, protect the hive. Each hive has a queen ant which all but never leaves the deepest part of the hive, and the students were instructed to avoid killing regardless.

    Spoiler: Knowledge (Nature or Demon Beasts) DC 15
    Show
    Goldendew Valley is known for being inhabited by non-agressive varieties of demon beasts, such as the giant ants, that make it an ideal place for young adepts to train. The ants themselves are a particularly good fit. They defend the hive but are otherwise largely non-aggressive. The workers are numerous and sent out to forage for the hive, so they can be ambushed away from the hive without needing to be drawn away. The direction for the Queen to not be killed comes from a conservationist mentality - if the queen is not slain, the hive will fairly rapidly replace any workers or soldiers that are slain, but killing the Queen will lead to the collapse of the hive.

    The ants form the basis of the ecosystem for this valley being the preferred prey of its other denizens.


    Spoiler: Knowledge (Local or Geography) DC 15
    Show
    Goldendew Valley is intentionally undeveloped as its proximity to the city and the relatiely weak and non-aggressive varieties of demon beasts that inhabit it make it a good hunting and training ground for novices adepts. As such, it is under the purview and management of Phoenix Academy.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-04-15 at 09:52 AM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu had good stamina compared to a normal person, but his training had always been more focused on burst speed than long distance run; he wasn't at the point of wheezing once the group arrived at the Valley, but it took more than a couple deep breaths to clear the fatigue away. He looked for Adarata to group up with him, then the teacher asked about questions.

    Well, he did have one question...but he was reclutant ask, because what he wanted to know was what would happen if a group interfered with another - was it allowed? What to do if soul gems were stolen? Had he been in the shoes of Kaiu Benjiro, the hunt would have been the perfect chance to do something...but if he was the one to bring the subject up, then he'd likely be the first suspect in case something happened (or someone claimed something happened). They'd just have to stay vigilant, and cross that bridge if it came to it. I guess.

    After forcibly removing himself from that train of thought and focusing back on how to quickly catch five Ants (but possibly one at a time). Then an idea occurred to him, and he raised his hands. "Sensei, what do the Ants eat?" Surely finding an isolated group was better than assaulting an Ant in front of its hive.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "The ants are omnivorous," Shiba Enko answered. "They mainly forage fruit from the valley's fruit trees, but if they can get their claws on carrion or smaller animals they'll take those back to the the hive as well. They'll even eat other ants if one dies or if another colony tries to move in on them."

    While the Sensei was answering, the other students were wasting no time finding friends to pair up with. The Kaiu brothers hadn't even needed to move even though they were breathing only a little hard. Over the past week half a dozen other students had fallen into their orbit and were constantly hanging around them. Some of them seemed to genuinely share the Kaiu's disdain for commoners, but a few of them had evidently decided its better to be with him than be his target.

    Another group was forming around Kaede, who was all but doubled over catching her breath. Her two friends that sat with her were varying degrees of better off. The taller of the pair - Satomi - was the best off. In fact, she seemed to barely be breathing hard at all, and seemed somewhat amused at her friend's evident discomfort.

    Yet another group was forming near the back of the gaggle, this one made up largely of students who had grabbed seats in the back rows. Despite some ability to blend in during class, their equipment largely marked them as coming from commoner families. Over the past week they seemed to have been drifting together, perhaps united by sitting next to each other or perhaps under the idea that banding together would make them less easy to single out by the Kaiu gang.

    All told, the number of students still looking for groups to join was dwindling rapidly.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu seems no less worse the wear, either, oddly, though she's still wearing a black kabukimono and that odd scarf. If she was sweating buckets underneath it, the dark colors hide that. There is little to hide about her weapon of choice though: a slim katana-shaped blade though the dueling sword's hilt is a crescent piece of iron carved into the shape of a three eyed demon. It looks...well it looks like a prop weapon other than the oddly expensive looking ring in its pommel.

    Her hand rests on it when she approaches a few steps away from Kaede's group, seeming more curious than anything, her short bushy silver hair barely moving in the breeze.

    "Well, hi. Would you ladies want an extra blade by your side?" she hails them congenially, giving the group's leader a moment longer to catch her breath.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I dunno if I need to roll diplomacy here, but let's see how bad she screws this up:

    (1d20+1)[19]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Horribly out of shape for such a run, Congming practically collapses onto the ground, leaning against a convenient rock as he forces his breathing to calm. That was not fun. Aware that groups are mandatory, he doesn't even bother trying to find a group, satisfied with whatever group he eventually gets lumped into. Besides, actually trying to find a group would require walking... which would require standing. Yeah, no. Not going to be doing that.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Seemingly clear and fresh after the run through the tunnels, Adarata smiled warmly at Tsugiharu's approach. He did not turn to listen as Shiba spoke; instead, he quietly scanned the area for lone people. His eyes landed on the weaker fellow who seemed about to lose consciousness altogether.

    "You're Congming, aren't you? Would you be interested in joining our group?" He watched the grounded boy closely, his keen eyes scanning up and down the figure and outfit.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Yeah, sh. Shure," Congming manages without gasping for air as his breathing finally starts to level out. He gives a half smile and touches two fingers to his brow in a lazy salute that ends up in almost more of a peace sign than a true salute.

    "Sounds good. Let's let's do this."
    Last edited by Rizban; 2019-04-18 at 10:26 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Hmm. So they could be everywhere, but zones rich in fruits are more likely. And we might be able to set a lure after we kill one...maybe. Hopefully someone will have hunting experience.

    Tsugiharu thanked the teacher with a bow, then followed after Adarata with silent steps. "Welcome, then." he, well, welcomed the new recruit, before taking a look around. "Uh...we just need two more. Do you have anyone in mind," he asked both of them, "or should we just wait?"

    Joining larger groups was, as far as he was concerned, out of the question. He felt like they'd end up attracting too many beasts, while keeping the numbers to the required five would let them be, at least somewhat, stealthy.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Does not matter to to me."

    Congming remains seated until it's time to leave or he's forced to follow in search of other party members. He's not tired. Just... conserving energy. Definitely that.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Despite his slim frame and small stature, Shiori barely seems to have noticed the hike to their hunting spot; in fact, given his distracted air an onlooker could be forgiven for thinking he had simply wandered by accident into the group of students instead of being one of them. He began raising his hand when the Sensei asked for questions, but decides against it. After the first few days of class, Shiori has finally remembered that when someone asks "any questions" they are usually asking for questions relevant to the subject they were discussing beforehand, and asking their Sensei "How can you smile?" probably wouldn't be appropriate at the moment.

    Finally noticing that the students seem to be pairing off, Shiori looks around for Hitomi; she's likely nearby, but if he doesn't see her he isn't too concerned. Part of the goal of the Academy is to make them more self-sufficient, after all, and even if he doesn't really like being separated from her he can't really expect her to hang around him all the time. Instead, after a few moments Shiori drifts towards the boy who asked what seemed to be a relevant question. Now that Shiori is at least somewhat certain that the boy isn't just a figment of his imagination, his ability to move around without being noticed is just about the only thing Shiori knows about... any of the people in his class, other than his sister and himself. Best to build off the familiar. Harder for THEM to take you by surprise if it's familiar; or was it easier?
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Why would you want an extra blade at your side?" Asked another girl approaching Kaede's group. She wasn't particularly big or tall - in fact, she was probably a year or two younger than most of the other students. However, you'd never know it by looking at her weapon - massive glaive that was obviously way too large for her, yet from the way she handled it almost idly it somehow wasn't. You vaguely recognize her as someone who often sat in the back corner of the room. Here usual look - like she wasn't looking at someone so much as past them to something behind them - even when there was nothing there - was gone. In its place was what seemed honest curiosity behind the question.

    "If your extra blade is at your side, does it really help you in a fight? You should keep it out in front of you. Unless you're planning on getting surrounded? Then if you have weapons on all sides you can fight them off!"

    Kaede managed to wheeze out a laugh from her doubled over position. She looked up and managed a fun-loving grin for all of a moment before she went back to wheezing out a response. "That's. funny. Sure, you two. can join us."

    "Kaede, we already have 4. We don't have room for them both," Satomi interjected apologetically.

    "Oh." Kaede responded, her breathing becoming more and more under control. "Then how about you join us now," she said, pointing to the glaive-carrying girl. "And you can join us next time?"
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Say what you will about the student group, tired as they were they hadn't wasted much time pairing up. The initial flurry of activity was already slowing down as groups solidified. In almost no time at all the class was divided up - except for a small handful of students left alone.

    "Looks like almost everyone has found a group. Shiori! Kotetsu!" Sensei Shiba called, making a slow round through the group. "Why don't you join this group over here?" she, well, it was spoken like a suggestion but had the feel of a direction.

    "Good! It looks like everyone has a group now! Remember everyone, you'll each need to gather at least 5 soul gems. As long as you have that minimum, you can leave early if you don't wish to continue the hunt. You'll find that the ant hives tend to be clustered around the outer edges of the valley by the sides of the mountains. As Tsugiharu was right to inquire, the workers will often be scavenging fruit from near the valley's several ponds. And of course, if you need medical attention I'll be waiting right here. If there are no more questions, let the hunt begin!"
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori stares at the sensei in surprise for a long moment before drifting the rest of the way towards the three people in a group. His eyes suddenly focus on them intently, flicking between each face as well as the figure of the last member moving towards them in a constant loop. As Kotetsu nears them, Shiori nods to himself. This should be close enough.

    Each of the other four members of the group experience an odd sensory experience at the same time: a series of three light raps, as though someone was knocking on a door situated on the inside of their skull. A moment later, their brains are flooded with a sense of presence; each of them can suddenly sense where Shiori is standing relative to them in a rough way, though the sense doesn't quite correspond to any of their regular senses.

    The words come a moment later. Soul Gems... do they contain actual souls? What are the repercussions if we're killing souled creatures, do you think?
    No one ever talks about that... still, five isn't much, compared to the amount of creatures that die all over the world each and every day, so we can't be tipping the scale too far against us. Why, whole civilizations wither away from our neglect every morning when we wake, only to be reborn in a different way the next time we close our eyes... well, if we're lucky.

    Oh, We can all talk faster here, and as long as I can see where you are and you're... a little less than 150 feet away from me, I can keep this going. I'm not one of--I'm not really
    in your minds right now, see; it's more like I've made a dreamsc--a, a crossroads, or a town square. Yes, town square works. All of our minds are the houses that border the square, but all of the doors are still locked. The only thing anyone else can see is what you choose to display in the town square.


    The voice falls silent for a moment, before abruptly starting again. Oh, manners, yes. Manners state that we are introduce ourselves first if we're initiating a transaction. My humblest apologies for my rudeness. My name is Ish--no, wait, that's not true anymore, it's Ya--no, no, I'm not supposed to say that one, even though it's now the true one, I'm supposed to lie, but not lie with what used to be true, um, ummm--Nyx! Nyx Shiori. Hello, my name is Nyx Shiori.

    Spoiler: OOC (Note to other players)
    Show
    Spending a Standard Action to activate Collective once everyone's in range. Everyone, Collective is willing participants only, so if your characters choose to opt out they can do so at any time as a free action on your own turn.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    As a pratictioner of the Veiled Moon, Tsugiharu wasn't exactly a stranger to the supernatural...but a sudden voice in the head was nonetheless quite startling, especially when it opened with phylosophical-sounding musings.

    Still, he was quick to adapt and, after the various mutual introductions, was quick to grasp the tactical usefulness of a telepathic link.

    ~Uh, so by talking here no one can hear us, and we can coordinate faster? That's...nice. And at a distance...150 feet? Not a lot, but I think that's enough to scout ahead. I'll be doing that, by the way. Uhm, I'd like to find some lone ant to attack, or at most a small group. Is that ok?~
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    With the groups set, the students did what students always do when let loose on a field trip. They scattered and disappeared into the valley. The valley seemed to accommodate, as while the valley and its gentle hills and scatting of ponds looked peaceful from the rise where they'd rested, the forest swallowed the groups in no time.

    Tsugiharu had little difficulty navigating the forest. The forest had its own atmosphere, alternating between more open old-growth forest with thick, towering trees and sunlight peeking through inter-spaced with denser and noticeably darker new forest. Whether it was from creatures or from generations of students, the entire forest was criss-crossed with trails that weren't especially difficult to follow. And for one trained by the Kuroda, moving unseen was almost child's play when there was this much cover to choose from.

    The group made good time, and the sun had only moved a little bit when Tsugiharu spotted movement ahead that was too big to be another squirrel. Maneuvering for a better view, he'd found a gang of ants. He counted 4, marching down a trail that paralleled the students' own, but on the other side of a small creek. Each was about 5 ft long, with the middle two working together to drag something - an animal carcass? Those two and the ant leading the way matched what he knew of the worker ants, but the ant at the rear was different, with bulkier front legs and claws the size of daggers - a soldier ant. Regardless, the ants hadn't seemed to notice they were being watched - yet.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Congming readies himself for battle, flicking his fingers to summon a potion vial into each hand and settling into his Hydraulic Overdrive stance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    For when the battle actually starts...
    Maneuvers Animus
    Granted
    • Thought Shield - 1st
    • Psychogenic Shield - 1st
    • Dismiss - 1st
    • Devouring Page - 2nd
    5 (+1/round)
    Options:
    • Enhance Maneuver
    • Increase DC
    • Elemental Glyph (I)
    Expended Withheld
    1. Brew Alchemy - 1st
    2. Sage Strike - 1st
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Drawing his weapon, Tsugiharu reported the sighting through the psychich link. ~And I know I said we should shoot for a lone ant, but on second thought this is probably the smallest group we're going to find. So, uhm...ready? ~

    Assuming an affirmative answer, while the rest of the team closed the distance (he was, after all, scouting ahead) he drew his weapon and started advancing further, briefly disappearing at the edge of the creek to reappear on the opposite bank shortly after. His aim, to circle the ants from behind and reach the other side, so that when they'd turn towards the source of noise that were (likely be going to be) his teammates he'd still be hidden and behind them - and hopefully would mange to still get the jump on them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Veiled Moon Style to teleport on the other side of the creek, then hide among the vegetation there at (1d20+15)[19] keeping at a Move action's distance from the ants, ready to attack.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata nodded and circled past the group, deftly hopping over the creek and sneaking through the vegetation near the ants. His thick legs were surprisingly light on the muddy grass, and he fearlessly interposed himself in front of their trail. He did not make for his weapons, not yet; unarmed, he held his position ahead of the monsters.

    Ready.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to sneak in front of the ants, maybe within 20 feet, in a position where I can run a Line through them.

    Stealth (1d20+9)[10].

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu circled the ants with the methodical grace of an expert. The training of the Hidden Clan started young, molding the clan's warriors into masters of the shadows and remaining unseen, even from the sharp eyes of other adepts. Compared to the stalking 'games' played within the clan, creeping behind a group of ants and getting into position for an ambush was even less than child's play.

    Izuka likewise crept through the forest, jumping the river and sneaking into position in front of the ants. Or at least, that was how he'd envisioned it happening. As he landed his jump across the river his foot slid in the mud and sent the young adept sprawling into a nearby bush and causing an unholy racket.

    The farm boy recovered his feet in a flash, but it was too late. The ants heads snapped up and compound eyes focused on the boy. They let out hisses as they gathered themselves to charge the human who'd dropped himself into their lap.

    All PCs are on Turn
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Congming shifts into position, moving closer to the ants (S20) while muttering quietly to himself.

    "Stout warrior, heed my call. Guard our strength. Grant your resilience.
    Beloved mother, heed my call. Lift our spirits. Grant your caress.
    "

    An alchemical glyph flickers into place on the chest of each member of the party. The circle with a pointed arrow crossing through it could be interpreted as a crudely drawn shield and spear. Everyone feels sturdy and unyielding as their natural armor increases by 1 (5 rounds).

    Conming activates the Spoils of War stance, causing anyone in the party to heal 4 points each round if they make a successful attack in battle.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Actions:
    • Move: Move to S20
    • Move: Activate Elemental Glyph (-1 Animus)
    • Swift: Change stance to Spoils of War

    Ongoing Effects
    Spoils of War Allies within 30 feet heal 4 hp when they hit with an attack, 1/round. [Stance]
    Elemental Glyph (I) (Metal) +1 to party's Natural AC [5 rounds]
    Maneuvers Animus
    Granted
    • Thought Shield - 1st
    • Psychogenic Shield - 1st
    • Dismiss - 1st
    • Devouring Page - 2nd
    5 (+1/round)
    Options:
    • Enhance Maneuver
    • Increase DC
    • Elemental Glyph (I)
    Expended Withheld
    1. Brew Alchemy - 1st
    2. Sage Strike - 1st
    Granted: (1d2)[2]
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    As much as Tsugiharu was assuming someone would get noticed, he certainly wasn't expecting Adarata to faceplant into a bush...but nonetheless, he was ready: as soon as the ants were alerted by the noise, he flickered past the trees and closed in on the soldier. His weapon enveloped in corrupted and poisonous ki - which would overcome the ant with dizziness and threaten to sap its strength - he stabbed at a joint between two exoskeleton plates and twisted the blade to aggravate the damage, before flickering on the other side of the creek (an excellent barrier against charges).

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Surprise Round
    Move: I7 -> K10.
    (If there is no suprise round, this is Round 1 movement.)

    Round 1
    Swift: Use Dizzying Venom Prana.
    Standard: Attack S1 with Sting of the Asp at (1d20+7)[8] Rerolled, 27, crit! (+4 if flat-footed). On a hit it's staggered for 1 round and takes (2d6+6)[12] 20 piercing damage (+(2d6)[6] if flat-footed), 2 Strength damage (Fort DC 19 to halve) and
    2 Wisdom damage (Fort DC 18 negates). If it fails the DC 19 save, additional 1d6 damage and 2 Strength damage next round.
    Move: K10 -> N9. (If no surprise round, ignore this.)

    Active effects
    Body of the Night, Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-04-30 at 03:27 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata sighed as the insects came after him, but he did not cease his movement for long, wiping the mud out of his eyes as he swiftly darted down the bank of the creek and away into the woods. Still, he did not go for his weapons! He ducked down in a patch of vegetation, practising deep, calm breaths as he tried to keep his eye on the monsters.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Take Momentum.
    Move+Standard: Double moving to C30 (2 Speed Increments for next round).

    Momentum: 1.
    Manoeuvres Readied: None.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tripping is difficult to do in dreams. As such, Shiori spends a long moment gaping in surprise at Adarata's sprawl into the dirt, before coming back to himself with a start. Right! Right, time to fight the large insects... in the real world... right. unlimbering his flail and shield, Shiori begins to run towards the ants, sprinting across the stream as though it was solid ground.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move + Standard: Double Move to L23. Shiori is in Unbroken Stride, allowing him to walk across water as though it was solid ground.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Perhaps not sure what to make of the glaive-girl's remarks and feeling a little spurned, Kotetsu is quite company until the ants are spotted. She watches the others make plans and hangs back a little too long, perhaps having expected to be given orders but as soon as the ants hiss, she's bounding towards the action, trying to take the stream in one leap.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show


    Koutetsu has
    Mizuchi x2
    Crawling Ivy Strike
    Crimson Mirage
    Lesser divine wind strike

    Prepared and is considered to be in her Phantasmal Blade stance (hereafter referred to as PBS) so she gets +1d6 skirmish damage

    She's going to move slightly less than double as her round action and attempt to jump the creek, landing on O20: (1d20+13)[30] Athletics
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The soldier ant raised his head and emitted a series of clicks and cackles, the meaning of which was made clear when the workers dropped the carcass they'd been dragging and charged after Izuka - but no sooner had they gone a dozen steps when the soldier's clicks abruptly morphed into an inhuman but recognizable wail of agony. Tsugiharu's blade had found its mark, piercing deep into the join between the creature's abdomen and thorax. The apprentice assassin danced away and blinked over the river, well out of range of the soldier ant's retaliatory flailing. The ant collapsed to the ground - but it wasn't dead yet. The soldier gathered its feet and rose again, focused on Tsugiharu. It drew back its head then spat a sizzling liquid glob at its assailant.

    The worker ants, meanwhile, continued to charge down the trail after Izuka, who quickly pulled away from them. But Izuka's allies took his place as they crossed the river and closed with ants - and the ants obliged by abandoning the fleeing farmboy to rush his nearby allies with snapping jaws.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Soldier 1
    Move: -
    Standard: Attack Tsugiharu with Acid Spit: (1d20+5)[14]. On hit, (3d6)[11] Acid damage Miss

    Worker 1
    Move: To N19
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[5]. On hit, (2d6+2)[13] Miss

    Worker 2
    Move: to N20
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[7]. On hit, (2d6+2)[10] Miss

    Worker 3
    Move: to K22
    Standard: Attack Kotetsu with Bite: (1d20+1)[6]. On hit, (2d6+2)[8] Miss
    Map

    PCs are on Turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-05-01 at 08:16 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata braced behind his cover, waiting for the monsters to arrive...

    Waiting...

    "...friends?" He peered out from under the vegetation, and his eyes went wide as he saw them fighting without his help.

    Then, he went for his weapon. The long walking stick on his back suddenly became a dangerous killing tool in his hands, and in a single bound, he had leapt out from his hiding place to survey the field.

    "Tsugiharuuuu!"

    Sprinting across the forest, Izuka made his way back up the trail and to where his ally had attacked the enemy formation from. There was their soldier, their accursed champion, injured but not beaten. In no time at all Adarata had crossed the distance between them, and he jumped, using gravity and his speed together to slam the striking shaft of the weapon onto the back of the bloodied creature.

    "Sorry! I ruined our advantage," he called to the bushes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Ready Sudden Leap.
    Swift Action: Sudden Leap to E30. Can't fail the Jump check.
    Full Action: Charge into I12 while drawing Quarterstaff. For fun, another Jump check, just to see much of the last few dozen feet was in mid-air. Jump (1d20+21)[30]. Attack (1d20+8)[19] on the Soldier Ant for (1d6+7)[13] Bludgeoning damage. Adarata takes -2 AC for one turn, but selects the Soldier Ant for Dodge.

    Momentum: 3 (Maximum).
    Manoeuvres Readied: None.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu is fairly quick to act herself, but perhaps brazenly and boldly. She tumbles in the air, (hopefully) rolling over the back of the first Worker Ant before her sword escapes its lacquered sheath with a satisfying hiss of the steel. Even more satisfying is the whistle of not one, but two swings forming an arcing X-ribbon of movement at the giant insect.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

    Acrobatics check to try to get to M19 without drawing AoOs: (1d20+11)[24]

    Burning one Mizuchi to get off an attack as a swift action (1d20+7)[22] Damage:(1d8+2)[10] Skirmish:(1d6)[4]
    And then another attack, also with skirmish: (1d20+7)[18] Damage:(1d8+2)[7] Skirmish:(1d6)[6]

    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-05-01 at 09:06 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori swivels his head, taking in the battlefield with wide eyes. He absentmindedly bats the worker ant's snapping mandibles away from his head with his shield, in the same motion swinging down with a heavy blow from his flail. Well, this is definitely awake life. Things are going well.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: None.

    Standard Action: Attack Worker 3; no maneuvers used at the moment. (1d20+6)[20] on a hit, Damage: (1d8+2)[3]

    Also on a hit, Shiori's Zeal is activated: everyone gets a +1 morale bonus on their attack rolls for one round.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    In hindsight, thinking the soldier ant wouldn't have any way of attacking at range had been naive. But I suppose that's what field training is for. Tsugiharu thought, dodging the acid blob; then, a sympathetic smile creeped up on his face at Adarata's apology, bringing back some old memories - even for someone talented as he was in going unnoticed, the road to get where he was now was still paved with failures.

    "It's not like it didn't work out!" he replied, blinking across the creek for the third time and closing the distance with the nearest worked while gripping one of the circular blades hanging from his belt.

    Still...guess I should have known from before, but he's sure fast.

    Then, he focused his ki to briefly shift to the Ethereal plane, and his figure suddenly became hazy; it lasted only an instant, but once he returned fully visible it would be too late for the worker ant to dodge the oncoming chakram.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: N9->M10->M14->N14.
    Standard: Attack W1 with Dimensional Strike, making it flat-footed, at (@+4 from BoN, +1 from Zeal, -4 for melee) (1d20+8)[26]. On a hit:
    • Chakram (1d8+2)[8]
    • BoN (1d6)[2]
    • DS (1d6)[1]

    for a total of 11 slashing damage.

    Active effects
    Body of the Night, Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-05-02 at 04:40 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •