The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 277
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Minimum Sense Motive of 11...

    Slowly and obviously putting away the healing scroll he previously offered, Congming flatly states, "Well, since you're obviously quite good at at this, I guess you won't be needing the healing after all..."

    He hesitates only briefly to see if the kid actually wants healed.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Hold on now, I can still fight, but if you're a healer that'd be awesome! I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping I can join the medical class once they open up - I know some basic first aid, but nothing on the level of a healer and learning some of that seems like a really good idea right about now. If you're a healer then I'd be in your debt."

    "Sounds good to me," he nodded to Kotetsu. "We all helped kill the beast, sounds fair that we all share the spoils."

    He shook his head at the mention of a rendezvous. "We have a meet-up place, but none of them are going to be there till the end of the day. They don't know those the hanyangi are out there - they'll be in danger if the hanyangi find them. And speaking of fighting the hanyangi alone, can I join your team for now? You've seen me fight - I can carry my weight."

    "It'll take too long to get all the way back to Sensei - those things are in the forest right now. They might find our classmates before we can return with Sensei. Or worse, that adult might go back through the tunnel it came from and tell its pack about this valley. We need to find them and warn the other teams. That, or I don't suppose any of you might be able to collapse that tunnel? That might be another option. The ones already out there are bad enough, I'm not crazy about more of those things pouring into the valley. The whole valley might be overrun."
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-06-11 at 08:03 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Unfurling the small scroll, "I'm not opposed to healing you, but these aren't cheap. And using it on you means I don't have it to use on my teammates. If we're talking debt, then know it's not just the price of the scroll I'm risking here."

    Congming slaps the ofuda on Nezu's chest and mumbles a chant, hopefully causing the text to activate.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[17] (DC23) - Cure Moderate Wounds - (2d8+3)[14]

    If that doesn't work, he repeats the chant a few times.
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[33] (DC23)
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[23] (DC23)
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[29] (DC23)
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[30] (DC23)
    Decipher Script - (1d20+13)[28] (DC23)
    Last edited by Rizban; 2019-06-11 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Yes, Nezu, you have to join our group! Actually, that's how we can solve all of this!"

    Adarata's voice came from nowhere. He'd quickly jogged over to the group, apparently stirred from his musings.

    "I don't remember how long an adult Hanyangi feeds for or how long it will take for more of its colony to arrive, but I'm pretty sure those two things don't happen very fast. So the tunnels aren't an immediate danger, but the young Hanyangi definitely are, especially if there's lone students roaming around. To protect all of our classmates we should go looking for them. But once we find them, we can convince them to join our group as well. Anybody who's travelling in a big group with us will be very safe against the monsters, and we'll be safer too. But also, if we have a large unit of people who can fight, we'll be able to go and confront the adult beast. So if you think about it, time spent dealing with the adult is more time for the young to hunt our friends, but time spent looking for our friends doesn't make the problem of the adult any worse, because we'll get more fighters to balance out any more young that come from the colony."

    He scratched his head.

    "...I think that's the right of it, anyway. We should at least find all of Nezu's friends, and then I think we'd be in a good position to go and deal with the problem in the tunnels."

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Wai-"

    Tsugiharu was thinking on what to do, and so he didn't react in time to Congming using a valuable scroll. "-t. Er, I have some healing supplies." he said, pulling out an ointment from one of his many pockets. Perhaps he should have said from the beginning that he was a decent healer...well, hopefully Congming would forgive him.

    He beckoned Shiori to come over. "Let me see those bruises." he asked, beginning the treatment with precise though pondered movements - betraying good knowledge yet lack of practice. "Well, that seems like a good plan." he replied to Adarata's proposal mid-treatment; he wasn't thrilled at completely derailing their task, but they very well couldn't leave people to die. Then, tended to his roomate's remaining wounds, and after that Nezu's, completing the scroll's work.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 10 for 20 Heal. That should heal all 10 points of Shiori's damage over 5 rounds. Then 2 rounds to heal Adarata's 4 points of damage, and then up to 6 go to Nezu.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-06-12 at 12:26 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu shakes her head.

    "I don't disagree that we should warn the others but I'm not sure about banding all together in one big group. Maybe there's safety in numbers there, but I don't want to see a bunch of kids like us all bunched up. The Adult Hanayagi could notice us all and just drop on top of us and people would definitely get hurt even if we could all form up and kill the thing."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Yeah, I agr..."

    Izuka's response seemed automatic, but he cut himself off halfway through. There was that distress in his face again.

    "I..."

    He looked at Nezu, and Nezu's many patched injuries. The sight made him clench his teeth and his fists. Then his eyes went back to Kotetsu.

    "...hang on. If we know where the adult is and that it will not move for a while, and we know that there will be signs in the natural environment that will make it easy to avoid that location, isn't it really unlikely that it will prey on us before we choose to take it on?"

    He paused again, fighting himself behind his eyes. But then...

    "Also, if we're already planning on defeating the monster to collapse the tunnels, and we're planning on having extra students so that we can face the monster and its backup from the tunnels at the same time, and we know that this monster doesn't hunt or share with its young, then isn't getting attacked by the monster really good for our goals? We're gonna fight it anyway. But that way, it won't have any extra hanyangi with it, but we will have our extra students. Isn't that all just a very convenient and desirable outcome which would be a very likely safe victory for us, if we provide that we were gonna take it on alone anyway, which we have to do in your version of it?"

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Nezu's wounds started to knit together in a flash under the light of Congming's healing scroll. The healing light faded as quick as it had arrived, leaving the student's wounds not entirely healed but far less painful. He gave a quick bow to Congming with a grateful smile. "I understand. I swear I'll..." he trailed off when Tsugiharu revealed his own healing kit.

    While Tsugiharu set about tending his teammates with obvious skill, Nezu cast Congming an oblique look. It wasn't hard to follow the boy's train of thought - with a trained healer in the party, Congming had no need to use such an expensive scroll to heal him. Had it just been a ploy to put him in Congming's debt? At last he offered Congming a terse nod. Regardless of the truth, he would repay Congming with an equal favor.

    With the party in agreement and Tsugiharu having finished tending to the wounded, the party set off through the forest to hunt for the other students. The procession made its way down the trails with purpose, eating up the distance. Their search didn't take long - maybe 15 minutes later a shout rang out from somewhere ahead of them - it too far away to make out much from the intermingled battlecries, but clearly more students were under attack!

    The group rushed ahead and the sounds of combat got louder as they approached. And the battlecries were starting to sound somewhat familiar just as the forest abruptly opened up into a clearing...

    ...and the party was greeted by the CRACK of a Tetsubo smashing in the last ant's head. The lifeless ant toppled to the ground and Namba Benjiro howled in victory.

    And he wasn't alone. He and his group of cronies were all present, surrounding a small pile of 4 ant corpses. The group had apparently fallen on the ants and made short work of them. A few of them bore scratches but no serious wounds.

    "Hey Bro, we got company!" called his brother Tatsuya from several feet away next to his own dead ant.

    Benjiro followed his brother's line of sight to the newcomers and laughed at the sight of the new arrivals. It made for an uneasy contrast with the ant gore that had splattered onto his heavy armor. "What have we here? Not trying to poach our kill are you?"
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata strode swiftly into the clearing, lowering the hand that had been on the haft of his weapon.

    "I offended those two boys at the classroom," he muttered over his shoulder to the crew. "If we're going to make a group with them, I best not be the one to ask them. It might not be a good idea anyway. Of all the groups, I think they're pretty safe on their own."

    Standing tall, he waved to the other boys.

    "Benjiro! That's all of your own hunting, man, none of us would come to take any of it from you. But listen! There's been a big accident. Do you know the demon beasts, the hanyangi? A clan of them has broken into one of the ant colonies, and now there's a small pack roaming the forest. The young monsters can be beaten on their own, or maybe even in a pair, but it's on good chance that soon many of them will reach the surface and invade the woods. We've suspended our assignment to warn everybody about what's coming, and then we're going to try to block the monsters' tunnels off. What do you make of all of that?"

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Patting Adarata on the shoulder, the lone girl of the group walks up, addressing the brothers.

    "Hardly. We stomped our own ants."

    Kotetsu looks between the pair Benjiro and Tatsuya, their cronies, and Nezu.


    " But we also encountered the offspring of a dangerous monster, but while we were able to dispatch it --thanks to Nezu's help leading it into a corner -- that leaves its siblings and parent lurking around here. We're trying to gather the students together for their safety."

    She doesn't describe how hard the task was, but purposely paints Nezu's "help" as a positive rather than imply he was being chased by it. However, as Kotetsu is ever cautious, she carefully reads the brothers' expressions, hoping they have other plans...

    Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

    (1d20+1)[6] Diplomacy

    (1d20+8)[19] Sense motive on these guys. She isn't sure if they'll believe her, attack, or just laugh and walk away or otherwise antagonize them.

    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "At the limit, can't add more, can't protect-- too many already--I'm at--"

    Shiori is muttering quietly to himself, walking slightly behind the rest of the group. He seems mostly unaware of the area around them, casting nervous glances around that seem to see nothing before staring back down at his wringing hands. When they run into the second group of people, Shiori continues chattering very quietly, his words becoming slowly more spaced out and distracted.

    "Here it is, another group--too, too many, and group that didn't like main people... don't like... attitudes... hostile. Group is of noble status, considers main group of lesser status. Alliance only needs to be temporary, but hurt feelings could complicate later transactions. Secondary group is expendable. Okay."

    Shiori nods to himself and steps forward, raising his voice. "As my teammate said--we're looking to ally ourselves with strong members of our class," he begins, his voice suddenly calm and confident--far calmer and far more confident than he has ever sounded before. "These monsters are dangerous--all Demon Beasts are, after all--but their Soul Gems are much more valuable as a result. And from what Nezu said about them, they're both numerous and probably wounded from fighting the Ants--plenty to go around, but still a worthy fight and definitely a way to distinguish ourselves as new Warriors."

    Dangle the chance of glory and power in front of them, and imply that we can't handle it without their oh-so-generous help. Make our terms have a hint of servility, and they'll accept them as their due--without altering them or realizing the loopholes in them. Leave the grand nobles their honor--a diplomat seeks results first and foremost. Our honor is in coming out the best in every negotiation, whether our 'partners' realize it or not.
    It was one of many similar lessons taught to the young Shiori when he was still a part of the Ishikawa family, one lesson that remains burned in his brain despite all that came to break it afterwards.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[27]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Oh, great.

    Figures that the first they'd meet would be the most troublesome bunch.

    Tsugiharu had receded to the back of the group as soon as the other students had come in sight, and there remained, leaving to the others the task of persuading Benjiro & Co; he knew he wasn't particularly charismatic, but, more importantly, it would be much easier to just keep silent than joining the conversation and the trying to stop himself before saying something bad for the diplomatic effort.

    And even though he didn't engage them in conversation, he observed them, reaching out his ki to probe theirs.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+10)[20] and Sense Motives (@+4 from Ki) (1d20+10)[18]

    Ki 4/5.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "I see. And so you sought me out for help fighting off these demon beasts," Benjiro nodded as Kotetsu and Izuka finished their explanations. "That was very wise of you. I and my companions will be glad to sweep aside these dangerous beasts that threaten our inexperienced classmates. And just as we carry out our obligation to destroy these monsters, I think its only fair that you show your gratitude for the danger we face on your behalf. But I am generous. I will only ask for half of the soul gems you carry. Surely such a small compensation is a small price to pay for your lives."

    Tatsuya grounded the end of his tetsubo in the dirt and nodded along with his elder brother. "That's very noble of you, brother. I agree."

    Another burly boy in their group - Nanba Daizu, you recall from classes - uneasily shifted his grip on the long mancatcher he carried. The leather armor he wore was much lighter and worn than the matching heavy lacquered armor that Benjiro and Tatsuya wore, but it well maintained and colored to match. He simply grunted in agreement to the proposal.

    The two remaining members of Benjiro's group had busied themselves with the aftermath of ant battle. Asako Genji had dropped his worn greathammer and was busy harvesting soul gems from the fallen ants while whispering with Nanba Akiko. Her crossbow had been reloaded and placed at her side within easy reach while she was dressing a different ant.

    Spoiler: Perception DC 25
    Show
    "Hey, what's a hanyangi? I've never heard of them before. Are they something we can handle?" whispered Genji.

    "Quiet Genji, the boss knows what he's doing," hissed Akiko. "You know he doesn't like being questioned and you already screwed up once today. Just do whatever he says for now."

    Spoiler: Kotetsu, Tsugiharu
    Show
    ...He really believes himself.

    There are several insults in his response, not all of which you believe he's aware of. First, his comments about 'inexperienced' classmates include you, ie, he and his band are better than you. Second, he clearly believes in a version of noblesse oblige in which his group are nobles carrying out a responsibility to protect their social inferiors, and those social inferiors are in turn obligated to support those who would protect them. Not only is he calling you inferiors, he believes what he's asking is righteous and not extortion. Third, his comments about 'small compensation' indicate that he doubts you've collected many gems so far, which is a reflection of his perception of your skills.

    All of which is to say, he's clearly willing to help for the right price and also seems to think the hanyangi, while beyond you, are no match for such an awesome warrior as himself (and his group). That perception will color his tactics appropriately.

    Spoiler: Knowledge: Martial DC 15
    Show
    Its really easy to figure out the group's tactics from their positioning and equipment alone. Benjiro, Tatsuya, and Genji all wield big, heavy 2 handed weapons that can inflict tremendous damage if they can connect. Daizu's equipment is more worn than either of the brothers', but the mancatcher he carries would be perfect for grabbing on to enemies from a distance and forcing them to the ground where the others can swing freely. Akiko has her crossbow beside her, but she seems rather fluent with the knife she's using on the ant. You also note a pair of tanglefoot bags hanging from her belt. It would be fair to say these tactics - disabling the enemy and letting the heavy hitters lay into them - could be brutally effective. It could also be fair to say that these tactics make Benjiro and Tatsuya stand out and look awesome.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-06-27 at 11:49 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Izuka looked deadpan at Benjiro. For a second he was hesitating, but then he spoke, this time a lot less quietly than usual.

    "Oh, you lot are a blasted pack of snakes! We've all had the same sorts of lessons, and we're all carrying the same kind of spark. Each group has about even chances of defeating the monsters. If we worked together, we could count them double. This is all the simple facts of the day. But you're asking us to risk being benighted - that's a doomed fate - as if we are hopeless without you."

    "And you know all that business fully well, classmate. I'd thought to myself that maybe I was some sort of fool who disgraced myself in front of you. That I should make amends. But you're just a bad man, aren't you? If you and your brother 'are the wall' of this city, then I'm afraid we have a rotten foundation."


    His gaze went to the rest of the opposed group.

    "Are these Kaiu boys your champions? Do you all represent the same stance or not?"

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu advanced a step, putting a hand on Izuka's shoulder to hold him back (figuratevely speaking, of course, he wasn't putting any actual strength in it).

    "Don't bother."

    Benjiro was full of himself, and the people who followed someone like that, well, he didn't think they'd dare oppose him right in the open...a suspicion confirmed when he used his ki to heighten his hearing and eavesdrop on Asako and Nanba.

    "We're wasting time, and we've still got a lot of other people to warn." he said, trying to dismantle at once both notions that they sought Benjiro out specifically and that they needed him at all. "Let them try their luck, it's not like there'll be anyone to see them flee if things get bad."
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Yeah, you're right. Good man. You wouldn't believe what we do to folk who act like this in the fields, though."

    Adarata took a step back.

    "Forget it all. You have the information. The lot of you should go well against the monsters. We will not compensate you and we don't need your protection."
    Last edited by manwithaplan; 2019-06-28 at 11:41 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori narrows his eyes as the opposing party counters with an obviously outrageous proposal, followed by his party abandoning all pretense towards diplomacy. This transaction is ruined, but there is still the possibility of salvaging things for a later transaction. Smile sympathetically as you leave, and seem reluctant--

    Shiori abruptly realizes that he doesn't care that much about the other group. He turns back to the others, settling his wooden shield more firmly onto his arm. Yes, we should keep moving--or is staying still better? No, moving is better; moving means you're already running when they come for you.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Benjiro's face went increasingly red at the rebuttals, unable to believe such a reasonable request was being rejected. "Why you! You come to me for help and when I pledge it you mock me for it? Fine! But even so, I'll carry out my duty! Tell me where the Hanyangi are and I'll deal with them myself." Benjiro stabbed the end of his tetsubo into the earth to punctuate his declaration.

    "We'll carry out our duty, bother!" Tatsuya echoed, slamming his own tetsubo in echo of his brother. His eyes swept the assembly, but settled Izuka. "But when this is over, I won't forget how you mock our clan. You best learn your place before I teach it to you, peasant."

    "Do not quarrel while the wall is breached" Daizu offered humbly. It sounded like he was quoting a proverb.

    Benjiro glared at Daizu, but the big youth only waited respectfully. Benjiro returned his glare to you instead. "I ask again. Where can we find the hanyangi?"
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-07-04 at 12:36 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Kotetsu looks between her own entourage and Benjiro's, looking entirely nonplussed about all of this. Hand not leaving her sword, she then gives Benjiro an even, silvery stare.

    "Clans and status have no meaning as long as we're students, and the lot of you know it. Interpret all of this as you want, I can't stop you from being such a fool. But consider this: are the spoils my friends and I hold really comparable to the credit and accolades all of us together would get from defeating the mother hanayagi? You keep looking at the short term, and you'll miss the big picture. Quite the stage you'd be setting yourself up for in the future when school and learning are over."

    She lets her words settle, wondering if any sense lies in their heads, looking ready to depart with the others.

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

    She's shifting into her Iagoshi stance, treated as having quick draw.

    (1d20+3)[7] This diplomacy is just a shot in the dark; I doubt it will help.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu was on the verge of letting out a venomous remark, but Kotetsu was quicker to reply...which was proably good, since she at least attempted to be diplomatic.

    He shot the Kaiju b(r)others a blank look. "The young are roaming the forest. They'll find you, don't worry."
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-04 at 01:18 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Aye, you're warned, and there's not any more to tell."

    Adarata turned to walk away, slipping past Kotetsu as he did.

    "Look now, they're bad men, and you should get out of market with them. If we connect fences with them, things will just be for the worse."

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori looks back, unsurprised at their anger. "Oh, it was last seen that way," he responds, pointing in the vague direction of the Giant Ant hill. "Go that way until you hear screams, then follow those... probably." He goes to follow the others.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Benjiro glared at Kotetsu as she started speaking and softened a bit as she continued. At least some of what she said seemed like it was getting through to him, although his gaze lingered on her sword as he replied with mildly more respect than he'd offered Izuka and Tsugiharu. "The academy may call us equal and give the peasants face, but when facing the demon beasts strength is all that matters. You well know that the beasts don't care about their prey's lineage. Play along with them if you like, but beware that a wall is only as strong as its weakest point. I hope your group does not collapse when it counts."

    "Fear not, the only screams will be our victory shouts once these monsters are dealt with!" Tatsuya answered Shiori. "They don't stand a chance against us."

    "Yeah, let's not waste any time. Genji!" Benjiro called over his shoulder. "Have you finished with the ants?"

    "Yeah boss, we've got the gems. We're ready."

    "Then we have hanyangi to kill." Benjiro gathered his group while the members of your group started to leave. You could hear them loudly tramping off in the direction Shiori had indicated while making your own way towards your classmates.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-07-10 at 03:47 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "I'm not sure you should have pointed them in the right direction." Tsugiharu said to Shiori, once they were far enough from the other group, glancing back at the direction they went in.

    Hope they don't die. They didn't really deserve that.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata shrugged.

    "As much as they're a nasty collection, they were speaking just now like men with convictions. I don't think they'll do anything that's so terrible with the information."

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "They might die," Shiori replies with a shrug. "Then again, they probably won't. They don't seem terribly smart, but they might be smart enough to run away when the monsters come." Shiori keeps walking, then stops. "Or... if. If, right? Monsters don't always--Wait, wait, they're actually going to find monsters, so... when. When is right." Nodding happily to himself, Shiori begins walking again.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "If you ask me, the Hanyangi might be doing us a favor," muttered Nezu. "Only reason he's so full of himself is he hasn't seen what those things can do. I bet that once he lays eyes on the thing he'll turn tail and run. Once we deal with it we'll see if he keeps spouting his nonsense."

    The team had little more time to worry about the fate of Benjiro's party. Once more they wound their way through the forest in their bid to locate their classmates before the hanyangi did. This time it didn't take too long.

    "Hello!" rang an elegant voice from ahead of them. The voice was matched by a young woman stepping from behind a tree out onto the trail. You immediately recognize her as your classmate Miya Saori. Over the last week she'd seemingly made a goal out of trying to introduce herself and have a conversation with everyone in the class, for better or worse. Today she wore a armor that covered her upper body completely, but made no effort to cover her arms or the light pink long sleeve shirt she wore underneath. The lower section of the chestplate gave way to a thick leather skirt with metal plates sewn in which ended just above the knee, exposing her red pants and sturdy boots. The longsword and shield she carried likewise had bright colors worked in.

    "Its good to see you all! And Nezu, what a surprise! I thought we agreed to split up. Whats going on?"

    "Don't tell me you ran into trouble? I thought Nezu the Great could handle half a dozen ants all on his own," The tall girl flanking Saori added drolly. In contrast to Saori, Asako Yumi had mostly kept to herself the first few days of class. Today she wore heavy, earthen colors that wouldn't have been all that out of place in the fields, although you could see a light chain armor peaking out from the collar. There was no mistaking the heavy scythe she carried for a field tool though - the weapon was visibly sturdier than any harvesting tool and the way she handled it spoke to a level of familiarity even at a glance.

    Spoiler: Shiori
    Show
    This past week you've gotten a sense of unease any time you've been around Yumi. Its nothing you've been able to put your finger on and she certainly doesn't show the signs of a possession by them, but nonetheless it reminds you of the feeling you get while witnessing a nightmare in the dream realm, if 100x less potent.

    The third girl, a bit farther back than the other two, just smiled impishly in Yumi's direction. Asako Nari's leathers bore the rising firebird emblem of the academy from which she'd borrowed them. The straight-sword that hung at her side had likely come from the same place. Nari had been plenty friendly with anyone who approached her the past week and excitedly volunteered answers in class, but each time the class broke out into weapon groups she'd joined a different group, each time giving an explanation about trying to find a style that fit her.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-07-18 at 08:41 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    When Yumi appears in front of the group, Shiori, who had been walking more or less in the middle of the group, immediately drops to the back, partially hiding behind the rest of the group. His pale grey eyes never leave Yumi, even as he cringes away from her, and he blinks... significantly less than a normal person usually does. Honestly, his eyes are stinging and drying out from the constant stare without blinking, but that's much better than looking away from anyone who has even the slightest chance of being related to one of them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For fun, Knowledge (the Planes) Check to make a guess as to the possible source of his unease: (1d20+6)[15]

    Also for fun, Sense Motive Check because Shiori doesn't trust Yumi one solitary inch: (1d20+2)[5]
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2019-07-16 at 11:03 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu smirked at Nezu's comment. It was nice to see Benjiro wasn't garnering much support.


    He smirked again, though in a different way, once it became clear that the three girls were Nezu's hunting companions, since it shed a different light on exactly why he'd chosen to split up with them...

    He briefly glanced at the retreating Shiori, then immediately decided that worrying about the guy's weird antics would be pointless, and returned his attention on the girls. "Great Nezu here..." he said, lightly patting the boy in question's back twice, "helped us defeat a hanyangi." He had no particular simpathy for Nezu's foolish decision, especially if it was made in order to impress the girls, so he probably deserved to be embarassed...but he decided to cut him some slack. "There's more roaming the forest, so we're going around to warn everyone, and maybe get everyone together to deal with the adult."
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-17 at 03:42 AM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Adarata automatically opened his mouth to negotiate, but happily shut up when Tsugiharu beat him to it. The second thing he went to do was to raise his foot and turn his head, like he was going to meet Shiori at the back of the group. That task didn't get completed either, as he stopped still and muttered an "ah, wait on."

    Shiori, what's got about you? Is there another one here that's not worth alliance?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •