The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 276
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "As Tsugiharu said, Nezu aided us in killing a young but brutal hanayagi. And while we were capable in dispatching it, the mother will take the combined skill of many students to bring down.... Benjiro and his bully retinue weren't keen on helping. I imagine we'll have to save them as well if they find the mother before an alliance of students do.

    Rather than appear too threatening or standoff-ish, Kotetsu just tells the truth but she also purposely looks around. Presumably any of them would notice if another creature came crashing out of the woods, but following the Kaiu's ridiculous offer, she's letting herself be paranoid.

    Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

    perception check to look/listen out for any skulkers:

    (1d20+6)[25]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori let out a giggle which he quickly strangled, his pained and wary expression at odds with the noise. Pot calling kettle. Maybe. Maybe? I don't know, he thinks to himself, keeping his thoughts from spilling over into the Collective thorough force of will. She might be, but I'm not sure. I'll need to report--maybe check her dreamscape to be safe, because she might be--but if she isn't, then it's pot calling kettle. Ha.

    Izuku's question provokes a strained glance aside to him from Shiori, followed quickly by a rush of mental communication. No. Probably no. Definitely, probably, maybe? I mean no. Or--I can't. I can't, I can't, I can't I can'tIcan'tIcan't-- The mental communication breaks as Shiori takes a deep breath. Something. Okay? Something, something, something... is. Something is, and I can't, and, and, andand-- the answer is no. Probably no. Almost definitely maybe no.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Hey, don't look at me. Splitting up wasn't my idea in the first place. But yeah, we took down a hanyangi! That thing has count for like a hundred ants. You should join up with us so we can take the big one. Once we show Sensi it's gem, I bet she'll pass us on the spot!"

    Nari raised one eyebrow. "Um. What's a hangyani?" she asked, both her and Saori glancing over at Yumi.

    "Its hanyangi. Its a bat-like demon beast, but they're supposed to be 8 or 9 ft tall."

    "So if its a young one..."

    "Yeah, that might match the tracks we're following."

    "Might?"

    "Hard to say for sure. I've never seen one myself - they're supposed to live deep underground. They're more a problem for miners if the tunnels don't get cleared right."

    "Interesting." Saori turned back to the group of you. "But that just raises the question: what are the they doing up here in the valley? This place is supposed to be protected by the academy. And let's say that we join up with you. You said there was an adult? Do you know how many there are or where to find them?"

    Spoiler: Kotetsu or Perception DC 25
    Show
    You don't spot anyone eavesdropping, but you do spot a flash of movement in the trees ~120ft away. One of the hanyangi is hiding in the branches, waiting. It doesn't seem to have noticed you noticing it yet.
    Spoiler: Perception DC 30
    Show
    Actually, there are two of them. The second is a bit further back, but its also waiting quietly.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-07-19 at 08:44 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Nezu gave us his testimony. There was only one adult, and it sent off its young so that it could feed." Adarata stepped to the front with his information.

    "A beast like that will feed for a while, and we know where it is. It is indeed a viable target of hunting, but it also doesn't represent as much immediate danger as the three patrolling young that we haven't encountered. That's why we haven't gone to encounter it yet, and in fact, Benjiro and his lads have gone ahead of us and they might have a good go at it without our hands in. We're making sure that all of our classmates are aware of the threat. The possibility of alliance is so that, if we have to face the adult, we will be especially well-prepared - the more time we spend looking for everybody, the fuller it gets, and the more likely that others from its colony will join it by crawling through the tunnels. But in your case, with an incomplete group, it's also very much for your safety. A group of five students has good odds to a young Hanyangi, but only three? It's not so safe."

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu didn't really know what to think of the girls being eager to follow the track of an unidentified beast. Though at this point maybe he was the overly cautious, odd one out.

    He nodded along Adarata's words, then he caught movement with the corner of his eye; turning his head as little as possible, he focused in that direction and expanded his ki. What he found was much worse than he anticipated.

    "Alright, listen." he said, a note of urgency in his tone. "They are strong with sharp claws, but they also can emit a screech powerful enough to batter and stun those in front of the beast. Multiple people engaging in melee shoould try for a cross or triangle encriclement, never stay too close to one another. Now, there are two young waiting to ambush us. Don't turn around, they'll probably attack as soon as they notice we've noticed. Get ready first."
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori, watching the interaction between the two groups warily, hears something large moving stealthily nearby and believes Sugimoto when he says there are two. He takes in a deep breath, and his demeanor changes. "If you can, try to say within... about 60 feet of me," he says quietly, the words not matching the movement of his lips. He straightens up and crouches down at the same time, moving slightly back into the middle of the group while obviously staying in place. "I can help there. I can help a little bit more if you stay next to me."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Switching my stance to Unnatural Presence: Allies adjacent to me get +2 to AC, -1 to Will Saves.

    Maneuvers Readied:
    Body of Delusion (Sleeping Goddess)
    Drowned Aggression (Infinite Shore)
    Fear the Reaper (Eternal Guardian)
    Harmony-Shattering Strike (Sleeping Goddess)
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Yes... We should... Stick together. Very nearly. Prepared for everything."

    Koutetsu's voice sounds rather stilted, to the point of being out of character but she hopes her body's poise gives it away. She's twisted her sword up to be held in place easier when she runs and if anyone gives her a look, she darts her eyes into the vague, general direction of what she saw.

    "Like the subject of our alliance, just out of view." she grits her teeth.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Preparing an action of running like hell and trying to skirmish the monster if if comes crashing down on us.

    Stance:
    Phantasmal Blade Stance

    Manuevers:
    Mizuchi x3
    Crawling Ivy Strike
    Aerial leap

    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Yumi broke out into an anticipatory, almost predatory smile at the warning while Nari was somewhere between skeptical and worried. She started to turn her head to look behind her but caught herself, snapping back to look rigidly ahead, take a deep breath, and look to Saori.

    Saori had reacted to the news that there were hanyangis just out of sight by narrowing her eyes and furrowing her brow. "I agree, sticking together sounds like the best plan." She sounded like she was discussing a puzzle, not a pair of deadly demon beasts. "If they're that strong alone then they'll have the advantage if we split up."

    "So we'll need to draw them in. Nezu, I know how great you are with that bow. Can you handle that part?"

    "Sure! Easy enough."

    "Quieter, please. You need to be natural."

    "Sorry."

    "So that'll draw them in. You said they had some kind of screech pulse? We'll need to deal with that. Nari, can you shield us from that?"

    "I... think so. Yeah, it should work as long as we stay together."

    "Good. So Nezu draws them in, Nari shields us from any screeches, then we scatter and surround them... Yumi, do you think you can hold one of them off while the rest of us gang up on the other?"

    "Yeah, I can bloody that monster up good. I'll buy you the time you need." She looked over at the rest of you. "Don't waste it."

    "Good." She likewise looked to the rest of you. "Your team have fought one of these before. Anything you'd add?"

    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 20
    Show
    You catch a slight tremble from Saori - she's definitely nervous about fighting a pair of monsters that powerful, but she's doing an expert job of tamping down that nervousness and evaluating the situation calmly. Her interest in the situation as a strategy puzzle is totally genuine.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 25
    Show
    In fact, you're certain her calmness is an act for everyone's benefit. She's trying to diffuse any tension the group may be feeling by setting an example.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You're welcome to continue discussing or do other things before combat, but everyone give me your choice of a Bluff or Stealth check against (1d20+8)[22] in order to not give away that you've noticed the hanyangi.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-07-24 at 11:19 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "They can swoop on you, if you let them approach on their own terms." Looking at Tsugiharu to take notes from his body language, Adarata seamlessly pulled out his staff and stuck it in the dirt, leaning on it.

    "A single blow could have put me in the grave if my guard was not up, and Nezu had not blessed me with his marksman's work. Once they're close, make sure they stay close, or they'll dash you against the stones and trees."

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Most of Tsugiharu's mental focus was dedicated to keep tabs on the hanyangis with his peripheral vision, yet he could not help but be impressed by Saori's attitude and leadership. She'd make for a good commander one day, for sure.

    ...he wasn't entirely sure about letting Yumi take on one of the beasts all by herself, but it didn't sound like they were underestimating the threat, and surely they'd know better then him their own capabilities. He couldn't care less about people who thought themselves above others like the Kaiju brothers, but this group he should probably endeavor to keep friendly ties with. Should anything happen in the future, it would certainly be a boon having them on his side.

    "Well, there's no hiding from them if you get too close, but that's not relevant now." Not to the others, at least. "What else...they have a pretty tough skin, breastplate level I'd say, and they're not bad at dodging."

    His fingers slowly crawled inside his weaveblade's knuckleguard.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll ready an action to move out of the way if they attack...just in case. Also activating Veiled Moon Style (unless doing so automatically invalidates the Stealth roll, obviously).
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori tries to slowly and carefully ready his shield and flail, but his movements are jerky and disjointed--and only in part because of his stance. She is sent to fight one by herself? he thinks in surprise and no small amount of fear, struggling to keep the thought to himself. He glances again at Yumi, then quickly away, accidentally glancing over at the hanyangi in the trees as well. Need to find out, soon--soon. Or else this is the least of our worries.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "They could kill you with a single swipe? Then we'll definitely need to stick together and support each other." Now, Saori had the kind of pretty voice that belonged onstage, not engaging in a life or death struggle in the wilds, but something changed about it. It became measured and assured. The kind of tone that inspired courage and confidence in anyone who could hear it.

    "Nezu, can-" The temperature in the gathering abruptly plummeted. Seconds before it had been a warm day and now it felt something closer to winter. A layer of frost formed on the ground and crept up the trees, and the frozen ground already crunched beneath your feet. And the cold was centered on Nari.

    "Nari! What are you doing!?" Yumi rounded on an embarrassed Nari. "You've given us away for sure!"

    "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Its just, all this talk of monsters, and danger, and they're right behind me but I can't even turn to look for them, and they almost killed him in a single swipe, and I felt my anima rising and I couldn't control it and it just came out!"

    A terrifying screech cut through the forest as the Hanyangi burst into view, now clearly aware that they'd been spotted.

    "What's done is done! Here they come!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map

    Initiative
    Tsugiharu: (1d20+8)[12]
    Itzuka: (1d20+3)[11]
    Kotetsu: (1d20+4)[24]
    Shiori: (1d20+3)[7]

    NPC Students: (1d20+3)[5]
    Hanyangi: (1d20+1)[12]

    Nezu default stance; Stance of Piercing Rays
    Saori default stance: Font of Inspiration. Allies within 30ft of Saori gain a +1 sacred bonus to all saves against Fear and Enchantment effects, strength checks, and attack and damage rolls.
    Yumi's default stance Black Heron's Stance
    Nari's default stance: Frozen Earth

    I'm trying something new. Rather than me including Knowledge (Martial) data for each discipline the moment it gets used and reposting that information each round, I'm going to try something new. I'll post just the disciplines that are being used IC and post the lore in the OOC. Anyone who rolls Knowledge (Martial) may open the corresponding Discipline spoiler in the OOC.

    Also, Nari brings a new environmental mechanic into play: Frozen Ground. Frozen Ground hinders movement through it. Every 15ft of movement through Frozen Ground costs an additional 5ft of movement. Frozen Ground melts away after 2 rounds under normal circumstances. Fire damage directed at Frozen Ground speeds this up by 1 round.

    Kotetsu, Tsugiharu are on Turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-03 at 01:49 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Anima?

    Well, wasn't it just full of weird powers? Shiori's spectral projection came to mind. Though I guess I'm not one to talk.

    Briefly flickering out of the Material Plane to pass the slippery ice, he ran behind a tree, ready to throw a chakram as soon as the creatures closed in too much.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: G3 > F4 > F5 [T>] F7 > F9. Draw chakram.
    Standard: Ready to attack with Sting of the Asp if one of them comes within 30' (and in sight, clearly).
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Oh, great. Two of them.

    Kotetsu's solution to the ice problem is to try to leap away from it. She crouches and then launches herself upwards towards the tree branches, getting some unusually good air with her leap.

    "Hit them with whatever you can until they clear the distance and then I'll do what I can from there!" she says as she hopefully makes it into the tree branches..

    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show


    I am probably gonna have to double jump with aerial leap up into the tree unless I roll stupid well:

    (1d20+12)[26]

    If the above roll is high enough, please disregard this following acro check unless by necessity I have to roll it in order to clear this kind of distance: (1d20+12)[26]

    Kotetsu will ready an attack from her position--she'll just drop and lay down the law with a mizuchi/skirmish attack.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-08-01 at 10:51 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    With their ambush foiled, the bat monsters abandoned their plan leapt from hiding, taking to the air. While they didn't prove to be the fastest fliers, they flew seemingly unhindered by the reaching branches of the ancient forest, deftly avoiding one after another as they drew nearer. The beasts let out a steady stream of yelps and clicks as they flew. What they were calling to each other became immediately clear - the more distant of the beasts barreled towards the students while the nearer beast took a more circular approach, approaching the students from the side.

    "Here they come! Get ready, we can do this!" Saori's call wasn't especially loud, but it came with such confidence that you couldn't help but believe it.

    Nari recovered from her embarrassment with a deep breath. She clapped her hands together and the cold that had been pulsing from her subsided. It was still cold - the frosted ground remained - but the waves stopped rolling off her. Instead, a frosty sheen passed along the length of her blade as she drew it. "They're splitting up! I can't block both of them. I'll block the one dead ahead."

    "Good. I'll keep it busy once you do." Yumi lifted her scythe and took a step forward. She crouched low, seemingly eager to rush the oncoming beast.

    Nezu's head whipped around at the sounds of the charging demon beasts. He spotted the circling beast but had to run down the path to get sight on the beast that had been hidden by a nearby tree trunk."Fine by me." He replied, nocking an arrow. "Ca'mon ugly! Come get some!" He taunted as he let the arrow fly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hanyangi 1
    Double-Move: to T8

    Hanyangi 2
    Double-Move: Dive to J22, then Fly back into trees in K18

    Saori
    Move: draw sword.
    Standard: Inspire Courage. Allies gain a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

    Nari
    Swift: Change Stance to Nerves of Cold Steel
    Move: draw Sword
    Standard: Ready an Action: Initiate Snow Ledge in response to a Hanyangi's Sonic Screech

    Yumi
    Move: to H6, draw scythe
    Standard: Ready an Action: Claim the first Hanyangi to enter range.

    Nezu
    Move: to H1, draw bow
    Standard: Attack Hanyangi 1 with Distant Gale: (1d20+10)[20]. On hit, (1d8)[6]+(1d6)[3]+7 damage. Misses due to Cover

    Map
    PCs are On Turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-02 at 06:33 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Izuka's eyes scrolled over the great collection of targets covering behind the tree, and then he nodded to himself, taking his stick from the dirt and deftly moving around the thick trunk to where he could see the Hanyangi.

    Flourishing his staff without breaking eyes from the monster, he went into a low protective stance.

    "Haaaa..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Prepare Discouraging Strike.
    Swift Action: Change stance to Momentum.
    Move Action: Move 30 feet to L6.
    Standard Action: I use the mighty Total Defence. I use Dodge on H1.

    Current Stance: Momentum (+1).
    Manoeuvres Readied: Discouraging Strike.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Then I'll stop the other."

    Letting his ki flow on the chakram in disruptive patterns, Tsugiharu trained his gaze on the second hanyangi and drew his arm back, ready to throw; as soon as the creature would be about to attack, he'd flicker between dimensions and let the circular blade fly in a deadly arc - and should it connect, the ki induced dizziness would stop the attack altoghether.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: F9 > G9.
    Swift: Use Dizzying Venom Prana.
    Standard: Ready to attack the other hanyangi with Dimensional Strike as soon as it ends its movement (or when it's at a distance of 10' from its target if it's charging/moving into melee). It counts as flat-footed, attack at (+4 from BotN, +1 from Inspire Courage) +12*; on a hit: 1d6+7 (base) +1d6 (DS) +1d6 (BotN) slashing damage, plus staggered for 1 round, plus 2 Wis damage (Fort DC 19 negates).
    *minus range penalties (range increment 30').

    Active effects
    Body of the Night, Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori considers for a long moment before slowly shifting towards the cluster of the other group, forcing himself not to wince and pull back as he nears Yumi. I'm not very fast, and my reach isn't great; I should work on that, he thinks idly to himself, settling his shield more firmly on his arm and gripping his flail tightly.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: shift to H5; Saori, Yumi, and Nari all have +2 to AC, -1 to Will Saves.

    Standard Action: Nothing to do at the moment.

    Stance: Unnatural Presence (Adjacent Allies gain +2 to AC, -1 to Will saves.

    Maneuvers Readied:
    Body of Delusion (Sleeping Goddess)
    Drowned Aggression (Infinite Shore)
    Fear the Reaper (Eternal Guardian)
    Harmony-Shattering Strike (Sleeping Goddess)
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    The sight of the human children readying weapons and preparing for the Hanyangi didn't slow the monsters one bit. What did they need to fear? Within the caves even mighty demon beasts avoiding antagonizing their colony. They were hunters! Prey that fled was fun to chase. Prey only turned to fight must know it was cornered. That prey was even more fun to kill. This prey simply hadn't lived long enough to learn to flee when they approached.

    Or maybe the beasts hadn't lived long enough to learn to fear humans.

    The circling hanyangi launched itself from its perch and dove from the trees, barreling towards Izuka! It closed the distance between them, coming straight for the farm boy and raised its claws to pounce - when Tsugiharu's chakram came out of nowhere in the creature's path.

    Meanwhile, that hanyangi's partner charged the mass of students head on. This bat-monster dropped like a rock and pulled up just above the forest floor, harnessing the speed of its fall to rocket forward. The beast touched down just in front of the students and its chest swelled as it inhaled...

    Which the girls took as her cue. Yumi raised one hand towards the beast and launched a small bolt of energy at the beast. It struck the beast and seemed to sink into the monster, but otherwise the creature took no notice of it. Meanwhile, Nari released the cold energy she'd gathered and swept both hands upward in front of her like a wave. The frozen earth before her swelled and snow swept up, forming a huge mound between the students and the beast.

    The hanyangi released its ear-piercing shriek and the sound waves slammed into the snow bank. Snow flew everywhere, briefly turning the battlefield into something like the inside of a snow-globe. But as powerful as the sound waves were, the snow bank absorbed it and held, protecting the students.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hanyangi 1
    Full Round: Dive Attack Izuka with claw at (1d20+8)[18], on hit (6d6+12)[30] damage
    Triggers Tsugiharu's Readed Action. Attack H1 with Demensional Strike when it is 10' from Izuka at (1d20+11)[31], on hit (3d6+7)[13] damage, Hanyangi 1 is Staggered and movement stops in N7, and Fort (1d20+8)[19] vs DC 19 or 2 Wis damage. Crit. Staggered. Save Succeeds.
    If that fails and Hanyangi hits, Nezu will initiate Intercepting Shade. (1d20+8)[20] vs Hanyangi's attack result. If success, attack is negated.

    Hanyangi 2
    Move: Dive to I9
    Standard: Sonic Screech. Yumi, Nari, Saori, Shiori, Kotetsu are within affected area. Deals (3d6)[12] Damage and Fort 17 or be Stunned for 1 round.
    Triggers Yumi's Readied Action. Yumi Claims Hanyangi 2. Gain 1 Vitae
    Triggers Nari's Readied Action. Nari initiates Snow Ledge, creating 5ft x 5ft Snow piles in H7 & I7. Snow mound blocks line of effect of Sonic Screech. Snow pile has hardness 0 and 1hp / inch thickness; 60hp. Snow pile is an object and immune to Fort saves.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-05 at 09:15 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "That's it! Yumi, go now!" Saori called just as the monster's shriek slammed into the snow bank. Spurred to action, the scythe-wielder charged through the falling snow and lept over the corner of the bank and over the still frozen ground nearby. Before the snow had even settled she'd closed on the beast's flank, intent on walling it off from coming to its companion's side. The girl's scythe took on a reddish sheen as she harried the monster with big, sweeping strikes.

    Spoiler: Shiori
    Show
    To your eyes, there is a thin, ethereal crimson chain connecting Yumi to the Hanyangi. The chain doesn't move, but parts of it are more crimson than others. The waves of denser crimson are pulsing from the demon beast's end toward Yumi's. It takes you only a split second to realize they're pulsing in time with a heartbeat.

    Spoiler: Knowledge (Martial), Knowledge (History), or Lucid Dreaming DC 15
    Show

    You finally recognize why Yumi has that unsettling aura. She's a Crimson Countess. The Crimson Countess is a rare individual - someone whose spark was awoken by an intense rage or fury. That emotion has suffused itself into their power, turning it into something almost vampiric that can drain the very life force from their foes. Its that twisted spark that creates that unnerving aura - your dreamwalker senses are sensing that power drawn from rage as something similar but weaker than the dark emotions that power nightmares in the dream world, like a negative background noise.

    Using this Crimson Countess power doesn't come naturally. Some hold that the techniques for making use of it were first developed by adepts who took inspiration from battling vampires themselves. Or maybe the vampires taught them the techniques. Or they were developed by an adept who became a vampire. Or perhaps it was some Other monster who could draw power from an unguarded psyche. The exact origins are really unclear, even to you, but what is known is that it can be quite powerful. The techniques were too useful to abandon and have been passed down within the academy. The academy's teachings stress the need for Crimson Countesses to learn to harness their rage. Most do. But not all.

    On the flip side, a Crimson Countess could be viewed as a tragedy. What must have happened to her, or her life been like, to make her so?


    "Great work! And see Nari? That snow mound worked perfectly!" Saori called as she ran towards the other monster. "You didn't need to be so worried about losing control, you've totally got this! Heck, I bet you don't even need to get hung up on choosing a weapon, you could just freeze the hanyangi."

    Nari smiled and drew confidence at the praise. The last remaining traces of her earlier anxiety melted away. "Ok. Um. I'll give it a try." She summoned up more cold energy as she looped around the tree, skating effortlessly across the frozen ground. She lashed out like she was splashing someone - and launched a barrage of frozen icicles at the hanyangi.

    "Yeah Nari, that was awesome! Everyone will want to team up with you once they hear about this." Nezu joined in the encouragement as he loosed another arrow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Saori
    Start of turn: Gain 1 Tempo
    Swift: Initiate Pride Movement. Yumi gains an immediate move action. Yumi moves to J9 (H6 > I6 > J7 > K8 > J9)
    Move: To L5
    Standard: Initiate Pep Talk on Nari. Nari gains +7 on her next attack.

    Nari
    Start of Turn: Gain 1 Animus, Frozen Ground thaws.
    Swift: Initiate Energy Spark.
    Move: To L7
    Standard: Attack Hanyangi 1 with Frost Fang at (1d20+17)[23]. On touch, (1d8+6)[13]+(1d6)[3] cold damage. Hit
    Energy Spark launches 2 Rays at Hanyangi 1. Ray 1: (1d20+10)[26], on touch (3d6+2)[17] cold damage. Hit Ray 2: (1d20+10)[22], on touch (3d6+2)[12] cold damage.
    End of turn: Gain 1 Animus

    Yumi
    Start of Turn: Gain 1 Vitae
    Swift: -
    Move: Use Drain. Hanyangi 2 takes 3 damage. Yumi is undamaged and cannot heal.
    Standard: Attack Hanyangi. (1d20+13)[20]. On hit, (2d6+11)[21] damage. Hit

    Nezu
    Move: to K3
    Standard: Attack Hanyangi 1 with Called Shot. Use Deadly Aim. (1d20+14)[26]. On hit, (1d8+9)[17]+(1d6)[3] fire
    Map
    PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-05 at 08:58 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Shot!"

    Izuka took off as soon as Tsugiharu brought the Hanyangi down. Circling the monster at sprinting speed, he took advantage of its recovery time to get a run at it from behind. As the rest of the team struck from the front, he drew upon the rear of the beast and brought his staff down upon its awful hide.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Prepare Static Strike. Momentum hits +2.
    Move Action: Go my full 50 feet, moving inefficiently to use all of it, ending in O8.
    Standard Action: Static Strike on Hanyangi 1. Attack (1d20+9)[23] for (1d6+10)[14] bludgeoning damage. On a hit, Adarata also Bull Rushes at (1d20+10)[17]. Intended route for the Bull Rush is into M6 and then L6 to give attacks of opportunity to the girls. If the Bull Rush is successful, the Hanyangi takes an additional 10 Electric damage, plus 1 for every 5 feet of Bull Rush distance.

    Current Stance: Momentum (+2).
    Manoeuvres Readied: Discouraging Strike, Static Strike.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori looks from Yumi to the chain, and then back to Yumi. The expression in his eyes has changed. The fear is still there, but it is tempered by sympathy, maybe even pity. Another one. Still, still another one.

    He comes out of himself a moment later, glancing over the battlefield. One enemy was heavily wounded, the other foe less so; go for the kill, or even out the battlefield? After a moment's hesitation, Shiori decides on the latter. He sprints across the battlefield, shifting up to Yumi without seeming to notice that she is there. He brings his flail up and smashes down in an uncomplicated strike, the weapon humming and vibrating in his hand.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Shift to J8. Yumi has +2 to AC, -1 to Will saves.

    Standard Action: Attack Hanyangi 2 with Harmony-Shattering Strike: (1d20+6)[22] 24 due to Saori On a hit, (1d8+2)[8] 10 due to Saori damage, and everyone in the Collective (all PCs and Nezu) gain +1 on Attack Rolls for one round (because of Zeal). In addition, Hanyangi 2 must make a Will Save against DC 15 or take an additional 1d6 damage from Shiori's allies for one round.

    Stance: Unnatural Presence (Adjacent Allies gain +2 to AC, -1 to Will saves.)

    Maneuvers Readied:
    Body of Delusion (Sleeping Goddess)
    Drowned Aggression (Infinite Shore)
    Fear the Reaper (Eternal Guardian)
    Harmony-Shattering Strike (Sleeping Goddess)
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2019-08-05 at 09:36 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Wasting no time in admiring the fallen hanyangi (though it had been a fantastic display of teamwork), Tsugiharu drew his waveblade and closed in on the creature in front of him, lunging at the beast with steel and strength-sapping ki.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: G9 > G10. Draw waveblade.
    Standard: Attack H2 with Sting of the Asp at (+2 from Saori, +2 flanking) (1d20+11)[21]. On a hit: 1d6+7 (base) +1d6 (Sting) piercing damage (13, OOC), plus 2 Str damage (Fort DC 20 half). If save fails, 1d6 damage plus 2 Str damage next round.

    Active effects
    Body of the Night, Veiled Moon Style.

    Maneuvers
    Dimensional Strike
    Disturbing Blow
    Dizzying Venom Prana
    Hunting Serpent Blow
    Sting of the Asp
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-08-06 at 04:15 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Speaking of falling...

    Once more Kotetsu tumbles out into free space, hoping she learned from the last time in order to get even better at literally getting the drop on monsters. She spins as she draws her sword, creating more momentum into the cut's arc that hopefully bites once, then twice through hanyangi hide.

    Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show


    Acrobatics check to nail the landing: (1d20+12)[31]

    Using Mizuchi to get a second attack:

    Attack 1 (1d20+8)[9] Damage 1: (1d8+2)[6] Skirmish 1: (1d6)[4]
    Attack 2 (1d20+8)[26] Damage 2: (1d8+2)[7] Skirmish 2: (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-08-08 at 11:16 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

    "Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Tsugiharu's chakram bit deep into the base of the hanyangi's wing-arm, sending it crashing to the ground just short of Izuka. Nari and Nezu, supported by Saori, were on the monster before it could regain its feet. Nezu's arrow flew true and buried itself in the bat-monster's belly while Nari's icicle barrage all but shredded the creature's and chest while it struggled to its feet. Then Izuka struck the creature from behind, having circled the hanyangi. He drove his staff forward and shoved the creature off its feet again and into Saori and Nari's waiting blades. The monster gave one more cry, this one more of pain than rage, and slumped to the ground.

    In mere seconds the hanyangi ambush became a route.

    The remaining hanyangi, already beset on all sides by Yumi, Shiroi, Kotetsu and Tsugiharu, gave one more swipe of its claws to force the students back and used the breathing space for a quick hop away - before turning and galloping back into the forest. Once it got clear of the students it spread its wings and took to the air. Whatever grace the creature may have had in flight to weave between the trees didn't extend to takeoff, and it struggled to gain altitude as it fled.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hanyangi 2
    Full Round: Withdraw to I22. Take flight to 15ft. Provokes Attacks of Opportunity from Yumi and Tsugiharu.

    Yumi AoO: (1d20+11)[21], on hit (2d6+9)[14] Hit
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-12 at 12:53 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Yumi's scythe drew a bloody line down the hanyangi's back as it fled, but once it cleared her reach she didn't pursue. Instead she ground the butt of her scythe into the ground and held it upright with one hand. She extended her other hand towards the fleeing creature and clenched her fist with grim determination. Nothing seemed to happen, but the fleeing hanyangi abruptly howled in pain. Yumi's eyes briefly unfocused and her lips parted in an almost euphoric smile.

    Spoiler: Shiori
    Show
    To your eyes, the crimson chain connecting Yumi to the hanyangi starts to pulse faster and brighter, with more and more crimson flowing down the chain and into Yumi

    "Quick, don't let it escape!" Saori called. Her words weren't meant for anyone in particular, but standing so close to her Izuka felt an energy in them spurring him onward. Nari was already in motion, closing her eyes and taking a breath. The chilling cold emitted from her blade vanished, replaced with occasional arcs of lightning. She opened her eyes and with her free hand wove a symbol in the air that looked like nothing so much as a gust of wind. The symbol faded and Izuka, Tsugiharu, and Kotetsu would look down to see tiny whirwinds attending their feet.

    Nezu raced around the tree and hopped up on the snowbank, drawing his bow and taking aim at the fleeing creature. "Take it down, Nezu! I know you can do it! You're an amazing shot!" Nezu positively glowed under the praise, lapping it up as he loosed his arrow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yumi
    Start of Turn: Gain 1 Vitae. H2 takes (1d4+1)[5] damage.
    Move: Drain. H2 takes 3 damage. Yumi is at full health and cannot heal.
    Standard: Drain. H2 takes 3 damage. Yumi is at full health and cannot heal.

    Nari
    Start of Turn: Gain 1 Animus, maintain Inspire Courage
    Standard: Change active element to Air
    Move: Spend 1 Animus to apply Elemental Glyph to Izuka, Tsugiharu, and Kotetsu. All movement speeds possessed by each ally under the effect of the glyph gain a +10-foot enhancement bonus to speed. In addition affected allies may choose to make one turn of up to 90 degrees while making charge attacks.
    Standard: Ready attack if H2 enters range

    Saori
    Start of turn: Gain 1 Tempo
    Free: Spend 3 Tempo to recover Pride Movement.
    Swift: Initiate Pride Movement. Izuka gains an immediate Move Action.
    Move: to K9
    Standard: Initiate Pep Talk on Nezu. Nezu gains +7 on his next attack.

    Nezu
    Move: to I7
    Standard: Attack H2, Deadly Aim at (1d20+16)[36]. On hit, (1d8+3)[8] damage + (1d6)[2] fire damage. Crit Threat
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-12 at 12:56 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dorni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Nezu's arrow was placed expertly, slamming into the base of the fleeing hanyangi's head, the arrowhead emerging out the creature's mouth. The monster immediately fell like a stone, crashing to the ground. It didn't take an expert to see the creature had died before it had hit the ground.

    "Yes! Did you see that? I'm totally awesome!" Nezu hollered, thrusting his bow high in the air in a victory pose

    Behind Nezu, Saori's face betrayed the faintest flicker of 'what have I done?'

    Battle over. All PCs gain 1 VP.
    Last edited by Dorni; 2019-08-16 at 11:05 PM.
    Everyone makes mistakes. Our fate and our character is not determined by the mistakes we make, but by how we react to them.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Shiori looks between the two dead hanyangi, his flail hanging limply at his side. "Huh," he says, his disbelief evident. Unconsciously, he takes a few steps away from Yumi, rubbing his upper arms as though chilled. "That went... well."
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    Unfortunately for the hanyangi, Tsugiharu had dodged the claw swipe by rolling sideways, instead of jumping back - after it turned to flee, it exposed its vulnerable flank, and Tsugiharu's blade was quick to exploit the opening, with the creature's forward momentum doing most of the work for him. He then prepared to give chase, but the beast was felled before he could move.

    Well. We might actually manage to kill the adult. he thought to himself, as he turned to give a thumbs up to Nezu, then curved his lips in an amused smirk at Saori's regrets.

    He then noticed Shiori stepping away from Yumi, which, paired with his initial reaction, the general weirdness of the boy's techniques, and Yumi's own expression a few moments before...well, it kind of piqued his curiosity (though it could just have been adrenaline rush. of course). Besides, it had been hard to get a read on her because she had mostly kept to herself in class and he wasn't really god at approaching people himself; since right now he had a way to "naturally" start a conversation, though, it would be a waste to let an opportunity to get a grasp of her personality go to waste, so on his way to retrieve the chakram he stopped by her.

    "Er...Asako, right? That was an interesting technique! I wish I could do something like that, recovering the chakrams after the battle is always a pain. Especially if I miss." he said, with a humbling laugh.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: White Cloud City IC

    "Classmate, your weapon."

    Adarata appeared beside Tsugiharu with the collected Chakram in his extended grip. He also nodded to Yumi.

    "Interesting skills, Yumi."

    Sliding on by, he walked up to Saori, waving over as many other disciples as would come to join them.

    "There's one more beast. Is it the case that there's one more student group as well, or more than that? We crossed paths with Benjiro and his lads before."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •