Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Exalted 3e] - Of Tri-Khans and God-Kings IC

ooc

Arc 1
    The Third Day of Ascending Wood

[Chiaroscuro - The Markets]

As the sun reaches its zenith, the towers of Chiaroscuro sparkle in the Unconquered's light. The people of Creation are well into their day, and many continue to go about them.

Today, the market is at its busiest, but that is because it is also at its most flush; the first part of the harvest season is ending, and so food and goods come together in the markets of Chiaroscuro. At the same time, numerous trade ships have brought their wares for view and for sale to the public. The streets are full of clamoring customers and salesman hawking their wares, from the finest of blades to the freshest of fruit. Dinars clatter and obols trade hands as the day's commerce goes on...

Etana, it seems Serpent Kiss' "taco tuesday" continues to frustrate your bottom line. The Burger Maven's having a slow day despite your offered specials, but you do have a few in today, some of them regulars. Around midday, a newcomer walks up to the cart; a westerner barely into his manhood. He wears old, tattered sailor's garb and has dark blue dreadlocks. As he comes up to the counter, you give a smile as you have for a dozen customers before him today. ((Roll Perception + Awareness, difficulty 7))

Tradewinds, you haven't eaten lunch yet today, and so you duck into the Burger Maven. You'd heard that this place made a fine "burger" but you're not sure what that is. The Maven's not quite as busy as the place across the way selling some other food you've never heard of (what even is a 'taco'?) but less people around isn't always a bad thing. As you enter, you see a nine foot tall behemoth of a woman working the cart. Her wavy black hair is tied back, and she gives a bright, jovial smile as you come up to the cart. ((Roll Perception + Awareness, difficulty 7))

Prithaya, you are buying some goods for the Red Spiders. While you're not exactly the best choice for lugging goods around, you have enlisted some help from your comrades and can negotiate better than your leader can. It might be because you're a pretty girl with a limp, or because he's heavily scarred and gruff, or it may be because he calls himself the Blood Tide. Regardless, you're in the food market now.

Ibry, you are gathering food in the market. Even an army as hardy as the beastmen marches on its stomach. While you have managed to secure the Beastmen's position as a mercenary group for the moment, and they are well-behaved enough that the Khans do not make an open move against them, beastmen are tools of the Anathema. However, it's an open secret that the Tri-Khan does not move against Anathema unless they make very obvious displays and/or attempt to unseat him, neither of which you've done openly as of yet. Some have felt disgusted by the presence of a free Djala among them, but they are few enough to ignore.

Calibration Knight, duty calls you to a Shadowland in the ruins near the markets. Though nothing major has happened here (and as far as you can tell the salt lines are still intact) you've heard rumors that the spirits within this Shadowland have been growing restless as of late. It might be nothing, but they're insistent enough that you didn't want to leave it to chance. You don't expect much trouble in the middle of the day, but the dead have surprised you before.

Feltir, you haven't spent much time in Chiaroscuro, but you'd rather that your summoning of a fire elemental not attract too much attention. As such, you've found an abandoned building within the ruined parts of the city that have not yet been populated by the Delzhan nomad's tents, near the market. It's been a long day of drawing sigils and doing appropriate chants, but you've finally completed your summoning ritual and are bringing your fire elemental familiar into the world. ((Roll Intelligence + Occult versus your chosen familiar's Resolve))

Whether by Fate or by chance or by necessity, you are here. What do you do?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-04-02 at 05:22 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] - Of Tri-Khans and God-Kings IC

Etana grins and greets the customer.
    "HELLO friend! Welcome to my humble establishment!" She has a loud voice that can be heard throughout the street. Her caravan has the smell of beef being warmed over grills. This woman is tall and muscular, she could possibly lift and carry the cart herself were she inclined. "Have you come to perhaps sample Etana's delicacies? My sandwiches are filling and delicious." She gestures to the regulars who are partaking.

She leans over the table. Gods favored this one with more than just height. "Surely you have heard of the Burger, and the sensation it delivers to the tastebuds. All of Etana's cooks once tried and desired to learn the secret." She winks as she looks him over. "And Etana knows fastest way to heart is through a delicious meal, so handsome, what do you say?"

She flashes a massive grin as she leans on her elbow over the counter.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Ok
    Perception 2 Awareness 2.
    (4d10)[7][8][3][6](24)

On the other hand making for a chance to charm and get you interested in a delicious burger. Instill minor intimacy of curiosity in The burg

Charisma 5 + Presence 2
    My appearance is 5 vs resolve 2 means 3 dice.

(10d10)[6][5][5][10][6][9][3][2][8][7](61)
    Any stunt
    (2d10)[10][4](14)

Spoiler: The difficulty 7 roll
    Show

If you make it her tell is silvered Auroch horns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A few of the strong young men and women of the Red Spiders trail after Prithaya as she pushes her glasses up her nose, scanning a merchant's salt pork. She feeds a drip of Essence into her system as her eyes flick over the preserved meat, shifting the light messenger bag she wears.
    "We're looking to buy in bulk---by the barrel, most likely." She taps her cane on the ground. "How much for... let's say, four?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    1m spent from Peripheral on Frugal Merchant Method to determine the quality of the salt pork.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Perception + Awareness + Excellency (10d10)[5][4][4][5][6][4][6][9][1][2](46) + whatever stunt bonus
    Spending 4 peripheral motes on perception excellency.

Save for Leviathan, I don't think I've ever seen a person that impressive. I wonder if there's something else about her. Tradewinds wonders to himself as he saunters up to the counter, and quickly checks his pockets, hoping he sold enough fish this morning to the fishmongers to afford a fancy lunch. Good, just enough copper yen. His eyes linger as he looks for anything odd about her to match her size. It's not hard, considering how he has spent only a small portion of his adult life in the presence of women, and after a moment he seems to be staring.

"Oh, sorry, I'll have the, uh, Ahlat's Pride with Harbourhead Cheese and the Ember-Fried Potatoes."

Ugh, he just had to splurge didn't he. Looks like it will be seaweed for dinner after this.
    Last edited by Omniplex; 2019-04-02 at 11:37 AM.
    This above message may or may not
    reflect the views of the message board,
    the poster, or any given individual.
    GiantITP is not responsible for the
    actions or beliefs of the above poster.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Etana grins and gives a clap. "Good choice!" She gets one on the works. Etana shouts back to one of her other cooks, "Order up on Ember Fried Potatoes!" She looks back to Tradewinds. "How would you like that young man? rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well done. IF you need a recommendation I suggest Medium Rare, good flavor but still nice and warm." She gets the meat ready after he answers. "Well young man, what is your name? And what brings you here to Chiaroscuro?" She glances back as she begins slicing away at the cheese. She gives a spin and flips the cheese onto the meet that is searing on the grill.

She leans down at the fire and blows it a kiss at the flame beneath the grill coaxing it to just the perfect temperature. A wink and a smile follow afterwards as she hums quietly while the man speaks.

As the concoction nears perfection she slides a plate with two buns on them, and begins flipping the items onto it with a gusto. She ends with a flourish as the side of Ember-Fried Potatoes is slid out and stops just before clinking the other dish. A glass of fresh water perfectly chilled (how?) is set out before him.

Spoiler: COOKING YO!
    Show

So Intelligence 4, Craft 3 (cooking) and Specialty in burgers is 8 dice.
    She spends 4 Motes on the intelligence excellency, and stunts strutting her stuff to her grill (because its a fire elemental you see) for appearance as a secondary attribute and spends 5 motes bringing the total to 17 dice. This kid is an out of towner and she wants to impress him. Get her name further out there. All mote spends are personal. The water is chilled by an air elemental that cools the barrels of the stuff.
    Just int + craft + int exy
    (12d10)[1][6][4][5][3][1][7][10][5][5][3][6](56)
    Appearance Exy dice
    (5d10)[10][10][10][4][2](36)
    Stunt if any
    (2d10)[10][6](16)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

[The Burger Maven]

Spoiler
    Show
    Instill Intimacy
    Burgers (Curiosity) - Minor
    7 successes vs Resolve 2
    Success!

Burger: 11 successes

Etana, at first the fire elemental isn't putting out its best heat. You almost mess up the burger, but your bit of flirtation jumpstarts the elemental into cooking the burger in a way that makes up for your error. The fries come out pippin' hot and the cool glass of water is set next to the sailor.

Tradewinds, you are now very, VERY interested in trying out this burger in front of you, mostly because it means you have something to focus on that isn't a beautiful, flirty woman. You feel rather flustered and foolish for staring at her.

When you finally bite in, flavor explodes in your mouth. The burger's taste is indescribable. It's like a first love, a first kiss, the wonder you feel as you fly, the majesty of the ocean itself... before you even realize it, you've devoured the whole thing in a moment of greasy rapture and you're staring at the woman who made it for you as the taste fades from your mouth. In that moment, you'd eat at her stand every meal of every day for the rest of your life if you could.

One of the other customers sniggers. "I think he likes it."

---

[The Succulent Swine]

The shop keeper is a fairly old man, not quite at the point of death but close enough to start thinking about retiring. He's blind in one eye, and is slightly hunched over, but carries himself with a swagger. He looks over the men with you before his good eye finally finds you.

"Ah, little mercenary lady, I see. Buyin' in bulk from Ol' Misty Eye, are we?" The aging shopkeeper gives you a wink and pats the barrel next to him. "Each barrel here will last you about a week for every 13 adults ye got. 4 barrels, that's 5 dinar. But this meat's damn fine, I made sure the pigs got the best feedin' an ol' soul like me can afford. I promise you it's worth it; your men will be begging for more of this stuff even if ye serve it up in dirty stew. And..." The man rubbed his chin a bit, eyeing her cane. "Ah, heck with it, ye and I both got a bad 'un. Misty Eye'll make it 4 dinar. Watcha say?"

The barrels are put together well enough and the meat seems packed in tightly. You'd gauge that the meat within is somewhere between average and above average; your troops won't be complaining but they also won't be overwhelmed with joy.

((Roll intelligence + bureaucracy))
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-04-01 at 09:30 PM.

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Feltir take a long inhale in the penultimate moment.
    He is near the center a room covered in runes and and candles. The really tricky part was using the right amount of oil for his personal enhancement of the spell.
    When he exhales, his breath is mixed with flame, as all the candles go out and traverse the sigils of oil. And then even the sigils go out as the flames gather into a form in the center of the room.

Rise Kyln, you are the Maker's Flame
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Int+Occult (Fire specialty)
    (11d10)[6][2][4][9][7][6][1][2][8][6][4](55)

If any stunt (2d10)[1][6](7)

I am not sure if excellency is allowed on binding rolls, if it is he will put in another 10 peripheral.
    (10d10)[8][3][5][1][3][5][4][1][1][9](40)
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2019-04-01 at 11:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    [The Burger Maven]

Tradewinds, you are now very, VERY interested in trying out this burger in front of you, mostly because it means you have something to focus on that isn't a beautiful, flirty woman. You feel rather flustered and foolish for staring at her.

When you finally bite in, flavor explodes in your mouth. The burger's taste is indescribable. It's like a first love, a first kiss, the wonder you feel as you fly, the majesty of the ocean itself... before you even realize it, you've devoured the whole thing in a moment of greasy rapture and you're staring at the woman who made it for you as the taste fades from your mouth. In that moment, you'd eat at her stand every meal of every day for the rest of your life if you could.

One of the other customers sniggers. "I think he likes it."

Tradewinds finishes his burger, and is immediately disappointing with himself for not savoring it more. Can't eat your burger and have it too, but he can't afford more either. How mush fish would he need to sell each day to pay for more? Briefly he contemplates pawning Kingfisher. That would give him enough, but would be to much of a hassle, and Leviathan would probably eat him alive. Plus, it could end up in the hands of the Realm. He could come at night in the shape of a raiton and pick at the scraps, though he can't imagine anything here would be left uneaten. Worth a shot though. He realizes he's starting to sound like a qat addict, and he barely cares.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Succulent Swine]
    Spoiler: Rolling
    Show
    INT 5 + Bur 4 + 3 exy dice = 12 dice
    (12d10)[10][7][4][2][3][2][9][2][9][10][8][2](68)

Prithaya notes the fine-to-good quality of the meat, smiling at Misty Eye's offered discount. Her fingers go to the abacus-bracelet on her wrist, going over a rough estimate of the company's budget and funds.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

[Ruins]

Feltir, one other advantage to performing this summoning in a ruined building at midday is that no one notices the massive flare of energy. Your essence flares and flows around you, bright sunlight twisting around your limbs like the flames of a grand bonfire. For a moment, the mark of the Twilight Caste becomes visible on your forehead as the fire elemental you've summoned comes into existence... could you describe it for me?

Show
    Feltir's anima is now burning. Stealth is impossible.

You have successfully summoned a fire elemental and bound it as a familiar.

((These stats may change later.))
    Kyln
    Willpower: 5
    Join Battle: 6
    Essence: 3
    Resolve: 4

Health levels: -0/-1x4/-2x2/-4/Incap.

Essence Pool: 70

Born of Flame: Kyln is immune to any enviornmental hazard based on fire damage or heat. Any withering attack made with fire-wands, sorcerously-conjured fire or similar effects is reduced to minimum damage and decisive attacks from such sources can never deal lethal damage or fill his incapacitated health level.

The Maker's Flame, 6m: Kyln provides [Essence] dice to any crafting action in which he assists another by creating and/or manipulating heat or flame. This bonus is increased by an additional [Essence] if he aids his summoner.

Attack (Fire breath, 3m): Intelligence + Occult of summoner (10)
    +11 Damage (Overwhelming 1)
    Tags: Lethal, Archery (Short), Flame

[The Succulent Swine]

Prithaya, you have a budget of 8 dinars to work with on this little trip for food purposes. It's not an unreasonable amount, but you're not sure where Blood Tithe got the kind of money; the Spiders have been very short on work as of late. As you run through the numbers in your head and on your abacus, you come to realize something.

He's overcharging you. 4 barrels of his will feed 52 people for a week, Four dinars should buy you enough to feed 64 people for a week.

You've dealt with enough merchants of this type to get a read on him. Dropping overpriced goods to a more reasonable level is a common salesman tactic; he probably would've dropped it from five to four anyway. The overcharge isn't high enough to be personal distaste for mercenaries, he still wants you to buy the goods. Three and a half dinars should feed 56 people; his profit margin would be a bit narrow for comfort but it would still be a profit.

On the other hand, you're an Exalt; you could just blunt-force your way to making the man go into the red.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-04-02 at 05:22 PM.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The Calibration Knight

Ink-black shadows rippled out around the Knight, sigils and wardings flashing n the dark-light. As he instinctively recognised midnight, the Knight allowed himself to fall forward to the ground, which gave way like water as he sank into the Hellish ocean where his servant waited. Sound was muffled and vision was distorted, as it is underwater, but the Knight breathed easily as the light of his anima crept above his skin and clothes, revealing his target - huge, brutish and caked in filth, the Blood Ape lived up to it's name. It's roar vibrated through the fluid atmosphere as it fought against his will. But the Knight was no mere amateur, and he equalled it with his own.

The demon put up a good fight, but in the end it wasn't enough. It was a servant for a year and a day.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Shape Sorcery: (11d10)[6][3][9][6][1][5][7][6][1][3][5](52)
    Occult Excellency (5m peripheral): [/rollv]5d10[/rollv]
    Harmonious Presence Meditation (0m), since this opposes Resolve and I'd argue is therefore social influence: [/rollv]3d10[/rollv]
    Possible Stunt dice: [/rollv]2d10[/rollv]

vs Blood Ape's resolve of 3

Stats: Personal 13/13, Peripheral 12/33, WP 6/7, Anima Glowing
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-02 at 02:49 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lets try those broken rolls again:
    Show

Occult Excellency (5m peripheral): (5d10)[2][6][8][6][5](27)
    Harmonious Presence Meditation (0m), since this opposes Resolve and I'd argue is therefore social influence: (3d10)[6][5][2](13)
    Possible Stunt dice: (2d10)[10][4](14)

vs Blood Ape's resolve of 3

Stats: Personal 13/13, Peripheral 12/33, WP 6/7, Anima Glowing
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-02 at 02:50 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Etana grins as she sees the lad enjoyed the meal. "Well dear boy it seems you were so taken by Etana's meal you couldn't answer Etana's question." She lets out a hearty laugh. "That is good for Etana. "

She rests her elbows on the countertop and leans over. "This your first time in Chiaroscuro?" She rests her chin in her palm. "Here to bask in the great city of the south? Partake of amazing food? Enjoy the entertainment?" She gives a wink. "Make off with a Khan's pretty daughter or handsome son?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

[Ascending Wood 2 - Midnight]
    The Calibration Knight

As the creature materializes, its stench hits your nose like a club. It's a horrid stench, like old blood mixed with rotting flesh. It only fades a little as the summoning ends, and hangs around the creature palpably. It has massive bony spines that jut from its arms just a hint of blood at the base, reminding you of nothing less than a compound fracture gone horribly wrong. Curled, horrid talons curve out from its fists, and fur the rust-red of blood covers its form.

As the Knight's essence wraps around the Blood Ape, he finds it resists his sorcererous power with a might greater than the Knight was expecting. Perhaps he underestimated the creature, but whatever the case, its golden eyes flare for a moment with the deep green fires of hell. It roars into the night and begins to beat its chest as its will pushes against yours, momentarily shocking you... but after a few moments, you regain your wits and force your will onto it, your anima flaring just slightly, and the ape shrinks back.

It growls, then settles down, glowering at you but silent and obedient. It is your slave until midnight of next year's Ascending Wood 4.

Do you have anything else you'd like to do tonight before we rejoin the main timeline?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-04-02 at 02:54 PM.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The Calibration Knight

The Knight was embarrassed at his carelessness. He could feel Wagha-Kon chuckling to itself within his anima, which didn't help. Rather than sleep the few hours before dawn, he instead unrolled a sheet containing shards of broken glass, tokens, mementos and grave goods from a dozen unmarked cemeteries. Whispering prayers to the nameless part-formed ghosts of the city as he burned incense, he felt their essence weave into him.

Show
    Shaping ritual: Charisma+Performance vs difficulty 4 (5-1 resources worth of incense), using Masterful Performance Exercise (2m) for 1 automatic success and reroll 1s. Gain Ess+excess sux in sorcerous motes until the end of the story or until I make a new roll.

Cha+Per: (8d10)[3][6][7][7][10][2][8][4](47) +1
    Performance Excellency (2m): (2d10)[10][6](16)
    Harmonious Presence Meditation: (3d10)[8][9][7](24)
    Stunt dice: (2d10)[1][3](4)
    (Potential reroll, go from the left): (13d10)[5][7][7][9][3][7][1][4][3][2][1][6][8](63))

Stats: Personal 13/13, Peripheral 8/33, WP 6/7, Anima Glowing

1+6 extra sux = 7 sorcerous motes. I forgo a good night's sleep to do the ritual, meaning I don't get that WP back from rest.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-02 at 02:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The Calibration Knight
    Stats: Personal 13/13, Peripheral 14/17 (+16 committed), WP 6/7, Sor.m 7, Anima Dim

Arriving atop his Agata, wearing a silver helm crafted to look like a simhata, the Calibration Knight lands gently near the salt lines to examine them. His long red jade lance is ready to be used, his shield is carried on his back and wrapped in a heavy sheet to conceal it's orichalcum gleam.

Drawing a cross atop each eye with his finger, he begins to seek any breaches or evidence of foul play.

Show
    Use Spirit-Detecting Glance (3m): Can see dematerialised spirits for the scene.

Case Scene:
    Perception+Investigation: (3d10)[10][2][4](16)
    Stunt: (2d10)[9][4](13)
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-03 at 01:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Succulent Swine]
    Prithaya recognizes the overcharging. There's protecting your profit margins and there's... well, this.
    "Tell you what---three and three quarters, and we'll recommend you to our clients as well, as long as your product lives up to your shop's name. I've a mind to talk to the boss about some expansion, and that'll mean more need for your wares as well." She smiles, her slight Champoori accent coloring her speech interestingly.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Rolling CHA 3 + Presence 2 + 1 for specialty in Bargaining + 3 from 3m exy = 9
    (9d10)[4][7][6][2][5][3][9][6][7](49)
    Stunt dice if stunt: (2d10)[2][1](3)
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

[Ascending Wood 3 - Shadowland near the markets]
    The Calibration Knight

You spend the first half of your day looking over the Shadowland. At first nothing seems wrong; the spirits are going about their ghostly business, once or twice you run into a former soldier or a merchant. After a time, however, you notice that there's an unusually high number of spirits here. Where normally you'd run into maybe one or two ghosts in a block during the day, now you're running into dozens. It's the middle of the day, so these spirits are all immaterial, but it's still... unusual. They fall silent as you near, even though as far as they know you can't see or hear them; the Calibration Knight is well known among the dead of Chiaroscuro and is not particularly liked, for obvious reasons.

The salt lines remain intact. If there's any damage to them, you can't see it.

Partway through your search, around midday, you come across a man and a woman, both of them among the living, in a discussion with one another. The shorter woman has dark blue, messy hair and is wearing jade armor of a deep navy. She is running her eyes over the shadowland around her in the same way that you were as you came up. Her partner is wearing

"-saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that not everything that goes wrong is because of the Tri-Khan or his Anathema."

"We can't find a member of our own kinship, River, and 'your' people won't help us. At some point two and two make four."

She glared at him. "'My' people? Don't presume I do not value Terror's life!"

"Mela's breath woman, that is not what I meant!!"

"You-" The woman rubbed her temples. "Okay, let's just... let's just calm down here. Kejak's off at the markets doing gods-know-what. Last we felt Terror, she was... was..." She stopped for a moment.

"We have company." She then turned to look directly at the Knight. Both of them tensed.

[Ascending Wood 3 - Prithaya]

For a moment, you watch Misty Eye's smile flicker. It's a subtle thing, but not an unnoticeable one. Working for exposure doesn't seem to entice him, and he seems unconvinced... and then you notice him glance at your leg again.

He sighs, and shakes his head in faux dismay. "Aye, aye, girl, ye drive a hard bargain but ye got a deal. There be anything else ol' Misty Eye can get for ye?"

As you handle the transaction, Thunderous Wrath carries the barrels back to the cart and the others help load it up. You have 4 and one quarter dinar remaining in your budget to shop.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Ibry sighs, looking down at the coinpurse in her hand before turning her gaze across the marketplace with a frown. The Djalan looks far from happy, watching the locals go about their business. Negotiating like this is not a task she welcomes: hunting enough game to feed the group is far simpler than trying to strike a deal for their right to eat. But there is little game to be found in Chairoscuro, and she won't let her disciples steal to feed themselves. So here they are, trading tokens for the group's sustenance.

Not that she is inclined to trust those here to offer a Djala a fair trade. But if they are to live within the city, they must begin somewhere.

Standing back from the fray, the Great Sage scans the crowd around the food merchants. The collar of her long coat flaps a little in the midday breeze. She has no way of telling which merchants are honest, and which are prone to deceit, but she does not have to. Others know better than she. All Ibry has to do is identify those shoppers who seem savvy: experienced mercenaries, well composed nobles or the like, and follow their lead. At least that should give her some idea of whose goods are worth purchasing. And Ibry might still have her issues understanding the civilized world, but Luna gave her little Ladybug the gift of understanding people far better.

All that she needs to do then is negotiate a fair price. That should be far easier.

Spoiler
    Show
    (8d10)[10][10][10][4][7][4][1][9](55)Perception + Awareness + 3 motes of Excellency in Peripheral
    (2d10)[2][6](8) Stunt Dice

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Succulent Swine]
    "Well, the Red Spiders have to be tough. I'm just tough in the ledgers rather than in the field." She smiles, noting again his eye on her leg. Reading people's moods and thoughts is, if not her greatest skill, one she leaned when in Ladder's "care". It's not hard to pick up on the merchant's eyeline, especially as only one eye's working, but it's a question of what exactly.
    "I think that's all for today. Thank you." Winking, she finishes her observation and turns to go. While the barrels are loaded, she scans the market casually.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    PRC 3 + Soc 3 Read Intentions
    (6d10)[6][7][6][1][1][9](30)
    Stunt dice (2d10)[8][5](13)

PRC 3 + Awar 3
    (6d10)[4][1][2][5][2][6](20)
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

[Ascending Wood 3 - The Food Market]
    Ibry Mir

You have spent much of her time learning through observation, from the Djala's situation in the Varangian city-states to Vihaan's lessons in astrology. As such, your eyes rove over the businesses and stands. You take note of who goes where, how long they stay, and the starry eyed expressions of the more inexperienced shoppers. After a time, you come to settle on a few different stands in the food markets. Most of them cater to individuals rather than large groups, but Red Quail's Fishery seems to deal with bulk purchases of seafood. The customers that go in there walk straight towards it with purpose; many of them have been here before. They aren't gaudy or wealthy-looking enough to be shopping for vanity purposes, but they also don't look so poor as to be desperate. They leave with entire carts full, and from the looks of it most of them speak to the owner with a familiarity that belies a long working relationship. The only real issue there is that fish does not stay good for long; whatever you got would have to be eaten quickly.

If you're looking for grain or fruits, Left and Right's Produce seems like a good bet. There's a pair of red-headed twins (one man and one woman) selling produce freshly harvested from the very fields of Chiaroscuro itself. They appear lively, and the food they have on display makes your mouth water. There's also quite a bit of it; they've had a good first harvest, and from the looks of it they're getting the bulk of the bigger mercenary companies; names you've heard of. The Black Bulls are currently purchasing fruits from the place. That sounds good initially, but now that you think about it, a popular stand can afford to charge more.

You also notice a mercenary group leaving the Succulent Swine; that might be a good place to check in on, as well. Salted pork can last for a long time, and only takes a bit of preparation to make ready for eating... on the other hand, it's expensive. Good for morale, but very expensive.

You consider the Burger Maven for a moment. You've heard of burgers since coming to the city; they seem very good for you, if the rumors of their chef was anything to go by. However, you're not sure if she would be a good fit; her stand seemed more catered to individuals than large groups.

And... now that you consider it, something about that mercenary group at the Succulent Swine is pulling on you. Like... like when you see a group you used to be involved with and can't help but approach to see how everyone's doing? Or when you meet an old friend and the two of you spend a minute or so catching up, because you're still so comfortable with each other? ...That kind of feeling. Perhaps you could partner up with them; a mercenary group with a friendly foot in the city could be useful, and surely they could use the kind of aid beastmen allies provide.

Where do you go?

[Ascending Wood 3 - The Food Market]
    Prithaya

Your argument wasn't very convincing, but the old man felt a bit of kinship based on your shared disability; his blind eye and your injured leg. (Not pity, necessarily, more 'ah, I get it') You're pretty sure he didn't get his in the same manner you did, but given your youth, he could probably guess it came from an injury.

You think this over as you look over the crowd, and after a moment realize that while your eyes are roving over the crowd, you're not actually paying attention to what you're seeing.

"Ma'am?" Thunderous called. "Where to next?"
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-04-03 at 12:38 PM.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer View Post
    Etana grins as she sees the lad enjoyed the meal. "Well dear boy it seems you were so taken by Etana's meal you couldn't answer Etana's question." She lets out a hearty laugh. "That is good for Etana. "

She rests her elbows on the countertop and leans over. "This your first time in Chiaroscuro?" She rests her chin in her palm. "Here to bask in the great city of the south? Partake of amazing food? Enjoy the entertainment?" She gives a wink. "Make off with a Khan's pretty daughter or handsome son?"
    Tradewinds nods. "I'm Torrence, a merchant sailor from the far west. Never seen anything quite like this city. It's one of a kind. I expect bringing a prince or princess back with me would get me in just as much trouble back home as it would here. A burger master might bring me acclaim, but I don't know where you'd get the cattle-meat. Not really enough room for them to graze in the islands. This was definitely the best meal I've ever had, but then most of my meals have been salted fish and rice cakes. I'd come here every day, but I don't have that kind of income. I bet the raitons must love your scraps."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Etana grins. "Etana loves to travel however Etana mostly travels through places where she can get cattle. Prefer Harborhead and Chiaroscuro as Auroch is much more rich than regular cattle."

She gestures across the road "Still nice to see new face on Mercuryday.... Normally people are over trying Tacos across the road." She frowns a bit. "Tacos are tasty but not nearly as hearty."

She shrugs. "Etana supposes competition is good though. Keeps Etana coming up with ideas."

"So Torrence, is there anything else Etana can do for you?" She smiles a genuine friendly smile.

Spoiler: if you decide to sense motive
    Show
    guile is 3
    Spoiler: if you win sense motive
    Show
    Genuinely being friendly, she made her sale already now just trying to learn about the new guy from the far off areas.
    Last edited by Kell_tamer; 2019-04-03 at 01:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Feltir smiles as spell completes. He was not sure that he was up to this task.
    He now examines Kyln more thoughly. Kyln is about half Feltir's height and is cherub-like. Small wings appear to protrude from its back, and a pair of curved horns protrude from the sides of what passes for its head. Even though its entire body is flame, it seems to have a slightly pulsing aura of secondary flame around it.

As Kyln floats there Feltir examines his own burning aura for a moment.
    It seems we are not so different are we? My own flames need to extinguish before we can leave.

Seeing a look of concern from the fledgling fire elemental, Fear not, I will not disappear once my flames are gone. They hide inside. As will you until we get back to the shop. While we wait, let me tell you of my journey here.

Show

Feltir sits and talks with Kyln until his anima disappears, and then briefly dismisses Kyln until he gets back to his wagon.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2019-04-02 at 11:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

[Market]
    Blinking, she glances at Thunderous. "Oh, er---we still have to get hardtack and dried fish, among other things. Let's finish this up and get it loaded in." She heads for the Spiders' usual providers of their other supplies, thinking about how soon she'll be able to start making changes in the Spiders. Blood Tithe knows she has an understanding of military matters, but the depth of her acuity isn't something she's revealed just yet.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

[City Ruins]

Feltir, after your aura has faded and you've dismissed your familiar, you make your way back to your wagon and head straight for the markets. It was a long trip to get here and as such you're low on supplies. On your way there, you come to a bit of a crossroads; there is a line of salt, beyond which the land seems to grow gray and colorless, and the sun a bit dimmer. One of Chiaroscuro's many Shadowlands bars your path. It'll take a brief moment to get through the salt lines without damaging them. You could go around and avoid the area entirely, but that would take another hour or two.

What do you do?

---
    [The Burger Maven]

Tradewinds and Etana, you have a pleasant chat for a while, generally shooting the breeze, with the latter occasionally tending to other customers if needed. Partway through your discussion, however, someone new steps into the Maven, and the entire caravan instantly shuts up. A Prince(ss) of the Earth tends to have that effect.

The dragon-blooded is clad in Red Jade armor. She has spiky orange hair, but what draws your eye is her eyepatch. It covers her right eye with a ruby in the center, as if it's meant to replace the eye. She is shaking with rage, and you both notice the temperature has somehow gone from warm to sweltering. Her skin is flushed and she has a slightly crazed look in her eye as she slams both of her palms down, clearly enraged and barely comprehending. At first she seems to be just slamming them down out of wrath, but as she pulls her palms back Etana can see she's set down money. A fair bit of Jade, actually; though given the Dragon-blooded were loaded that made sense.

Jade is still valued in trade here, but with the Realm's shrinking influence it's now got a bit less purchasing power than silver. Even still, she's spending more than enough for two, even three burgers.

"I don't care what it is, just give me something cold." Her tone is harsh and only barely under control. She's not meeting anyone's eyes.

Spoiler: NPC Rolls
    Show
    Rolls to spot the Tell.
    Perception + Awareness on Tradewinds (6 base, -1 because it requires sight)
    (5d10)[27]
    Perception + Awareness on Etana (6 base, -1 because it requires sight)
    (5d10)[19]

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: I screwed up the rolls because I'm an idiot.
    Show

(5d10)[2][5][8][10][4](29)
    (5d10)[8][7][7][2][3](27)

Luau!
    If you're hungry for a hunk of fat and juicy meat
    Eat my buddy Puumba here because he is a treat~
    To come down and dine
    On this tasty swine
    All you have to do is get in line~

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The Calibration Knight
    Stats: Personal 13/13, Peripheral 14/17 (+16 committed), WP 6/7, Sor.m 7, Anima Dim#

The Knight gives very dirty looks to any ghost who even thinks about not getting out of his way, gripping his lance tight as he almost dares them to step out of line. But fortunately none of them do, and eventually he comes across the pair wearing a small city's wealth as armour. He notices the woman looking at the same ghosts that he is.

"So....you seeing what I'm seeing?"

----
    Show
    (Manipulation+Presence) to act like I know what the hell I'm talking about: (5d10)[6][3][9][4][4](26)
    Harmonious Presence Meditation (0m): (3d10)[6][9][3](18)
    Stunt: (2d10)[1][3](4)

Tag onto any intimacies they have about the undead to affect their resolve. He's not hiding who he is, his Influence dot might mean they know him if they are locals.

2 sux - I'm a bad liar
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-03 at 03:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

[Shadowland]
    The Calibration Knight

"Depends what you're seeing, friend." The man responded, turning towards him, stance ready. "V'Neef Seawrack sees a living man where only the dead should tread."

The blue girl, now that you get a good look at her, has the facial structure of the Delzhan, as if someone took a Delzhan woman and painted her skin blue. She is also fairly short. Her eyes flash with recognition momentarily. "You?"

"... you know this guy, River?"

"... I lived in this city before I took the Second Breath." The woman stood up, but unlike her partner, she did not take a ready stance. "And I still have friends here. They call you the Calibration Knight. Protector of the people. Warrior for justice. Slayer of ghosts."

The man's stance relaxed a bit.

"Anathema." She continued. "Unclean."

"WHAT?!" Seawrack's stance instantly hardened, and the Knight drew his full attention. "You're sure?!"

River shrugged. "Depends on who you ask, but I believe it. Not like he'd be the only Anathema in this city." She does not enter any kind of stance, but you now occupy her full attention as well. The wind is growing restless around you all, and a bit more humid.

"... You think he took Terror?"

"Ten minutes ago I would've said no, but given the circumstances it would not surprise me." She growled, her voice growing rougher and more draconic. "I'll ask you what my friend did, Unclean: what are you seeing? Easy prey?"

Neither of them has made a move to attack you, but both are clearly ready for a fight if it comes to that.

What do you do?

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Etana smiles and with a sway in the hips heads behind the counter getting a glass and some water. It was time to improvise. “Of course mighty chosen, Etana has just the thing.” With a bit of a fourish she starts tossing watter from one glass to another before getting some of the fresh fruit for desserts and sides out chopping them in half. She gives a sway left, and a sway right while the air elemental that mans the barrels starts freesing em over. She squeezes the juice in and dips some cane sugar in it and plants a stick down as it flash freezes in the creatures breath. With a wink and a smile Etana pulls out a frosty cold treat on a stick.
    ”Etana has perfect tasty dish for Mighty Hero Chosen. Allow her to humbly present... She gives a flourish as her mind thinks of an icicle and with the idea just popping in... ”Popscicle!”

Spoiler: CRAFTING BULLS***!
    Show

Alright using her charm to get the elemental that keeps water cold to play along. As she improvises an idea. Base pool is 7. (4 int 3 craft). She spends 4 personall on exy and 3 personal on exy for adding charisma and then whatever stunt. Burning a willpower for a success.
    Base pool
    (7d10)[2][4][5][6][3][5][1](26)
    Exy Int
    (4d10)[8][1][10][5](24)
    Exy cha
    (3d10)[4][8][2](14)
    Stunt if any
    (2d10)[5][4](9)