Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What moments in gaming will stick with you?

There are many games which have been created. Many of them are so bad they are memorable, many are simply forgettable, but a few handful of jewels create moments that will stay with you, long after having beaten the game.

Those are the moments I'm talking about. Moments in a video game where you, the player, had to take a moment... either because it hit you in the feels, or because the impact on you was that profound.

Everyone sees games differently, and came into gaming at different times, so it'll probably be different for everyone, but I'd like to open a discussion where we can share those shining moments in your personal gaming experience which made that particular moment memorable, and why.

Since these are likely going to revolve around the resolution of major plot points of various games, assume that spoilers may abound within this thread. Many of these may be years or even decades old by now, but some might not have had a chance to experience them. So fair warning, if someone talks about a game you haven't played yet, it is on you to skip that section if you don't want to be spoiled.

Allow me to begin:

Final Fantasy. Yes, the original, the OG of the four-man-band JRPG, on the NES. You start off with a typical quest of 'save the princess', go rescue her relatively effortlessly, the king orders a bridge built, and... bam. Probably one of the earliest examples of a cutscene in a video game, and one of the most iconic and profound examples. And that music... Uematsu practically invented video game music as a genre of music with this one song. I was hooked, instantly. In many ways, I consider the FF Prelude to be 'the song that saved Squaresoft', because of this one cutscene.

Super Metroid. That final scene with Mother Brain when the Metroid comes back to save you. I dunno, for some reason, this scene really hit me in the feels. I don't know how they could make what is effectively an energy-sucking space jellyfish-vampire into a character with empathy, but they did it anyway. I really never expected to have one of these moments in a Metroid game (this was well before the term 'metroidvania' was coined), but there it is.

Chrono Trigger. In case you didn't read earlier, this thread might contain spoilers, and this is one of 'em. If you care about being spoiled about a game nearly twenty years old, skip to the next part. While this game has many scenes which hit you in the feels, the one that I find most memorable is Chrono's death. Probably one of the earliest instances of a main character dying, and unveils what the game was actually named after. I was a teen when I played this game, and when I ended up facing off against Lavos I was like 'holy WHAT?', expecting either someone to jump in and save the party or having one hell of a boss battle on my hands. And when I lost the battle, and the game DIDN'T end, it blew my mind. Also, anything involving Glenn, but especially his theme.

FF VI. I know, another Final Fantasy game. But come on, give me this. There are so damn many moments here that it was tough to really nail one down. I mean, there's the Doma cutscene where Kefka does his thing. There's the reveal of the relationship between Relm and Shadow. There's the reveal of Terra's heritage and backstory. And there's that damn ending, a pure half hour of ninjas chopping onions. But above all.. it's the opening scene. That march as Terra and the two minions go stomping through a blizzard to start everything off. That song. To this day, it is the only overworld song that I never got tired of, because of its use in that intro in that manner.

Secret of Mana. That opening song is haunting, but the real gut punch is almost near the very end, where the Sprite points out that killing the mana beast is going to end all magic, and like the Sprite as well. And that's when you really realize something about the Sprite... it's been a wisecracking prankster the whole way through, and acting rather immature and childlike... and that's been a mask this whole time, that there is quite a lot that puckish exterior is hiding. The Sprite is the one making the sacrifice play, goes into it *knowing* that it is making itself obsolete, and still on board with it, because it needs to be done to save the world.

Zelda: Twilight Princess. The Zelda series has always been a mainstay and staple of my youth, but while very awesome games, it didn't provide any single moment that was explicitly memorable. Awesome games, yes, awesome moments in a game... not really. Until this offering. Midna is the poster child for Tsundere archetypes, being a snarky and sarcastic little imp who makes it abundantly clear that she is of the opinion that *she* is in charge, and you are *her* pet. Until about half-way through the game, when the dynamic suddenly changes. The kicker here is that it's Zelda who makes a sacrifice for her, and that really makes Midna realize that there is a LOT more at stake than even she realized. She goes from being a snarky condescending b**ch to being a genuinely helpful companion. It wasn't really Midna that made this moment so memorable, it was Zelda who realized exactly who Midna actually was, what had happened, and what she needed to do to help things along. But the effect it had on Midna was also a factor in why this was such a memorable moment.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Yea, two zelda games back to back, so sue me. This one, though... for the first time, Zelda is a fully fleshed out and developed character with her own backstory and her own trials and problems (aside from being chronically kidnapped). Zelda in this game is more of a real person than in any previous game, with her own character flaws and problems. And nowhere does this hit home quite so hard as in the next to final memory (chronologically speaking). They've failed, everyone else is dead or dying, it's raining, and Zelda completely breaks down and starts sobbing into Link's chest. All the anger, frustration, guilt, and sorrow break out and all her defenses fall away like bits of broken glass. It is Zelda at her most human and most vulnerable.

Hollow Knight. The Metroidvania genre surprised me with this one with SoulsBorne boss battles. But the cake goes to the only (pre-DLC) boss with a full-screen title card... Radiance. This one isn't a tear-jerker so much as the ultimate gauntlet thrown down by a video game. But, after fighting my way through the whole game, dealing with the White Palace, facing the Hollow Knight, Hornet jumping in, and Dream Nailing him... that scene right there. Your first impression is 'okay, so it's a dream fight. Is he going to drop down or something with some extra moves?'. Then the sun in the background moves. Then you get the full screen title card. And the music begins. Now THAT is a boss intro. Soul Master almost had it, with creeping up in the background before teleporting in, but Radiance... she got treated with the respect she deserved.

So... what are your memorable moments in video games?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What moments in gaming will stick with you?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (SPOILER)

The moment you realize you are Revan. The first time I played (original Xbox), it felt like it came out f nowhere, but then I realized the clues were there.

Fallout 3: The first time you open the Vault to the Capital Wasteland. The entry area of the vault is dark, but then bright light floods in.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

"Gamma One is the Emporer's stool pigeon! Gamma Two and Three destroy Gamma One now!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Fall Cry 5 was a big one for me.

Spoiler: Major FC5 Spoiler
    Show
    When you realize the Cult was right, that the world was ending, and you just went on a spree to end their Doomsday Prepping.

It was a big blow to me, because of the fact that I realized that the 3 Children you killed were all in charge of some major operation that was supposed to help them survive their time underground.

The Child in charge of the drugs was supposed to keep the populace docile, since they were going to never see the light of day again.
    The Child in charge of the military/culling was supposed to ensure the strongest survive. When everyone is in such a small space with limited resources, you'll need to thin the herd to make sure humanity can survive.
    The Child in charge of propaganda was supposed to make sure that everyone works together and to avoid any kind of insurgencies. With such a small community and high tensions, everyone will need to work together to survive.

It was messed up, but they all had something designed to keep the human race going when everyone went underground. Then, at the end, it's just you, the cult leader, and pretty much nobody else down there. Because you killed them all.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-02 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Fallout 5 was a big one for me.

Spoiler: Major FO5 Spoiler
    Show
    When you realize the Cult was right, that the world was ending, and you just went on a spree to end their Doomsday Prepping.

It was a big blow to me, because of the fact that I realized that the 3 Children you killed were all in charge of some major operation that was supposed to help them survive their time underground.

The Child in charge of the drugs was supposed to keep the populace docile, since they were going to never see the light of day again.
    The Child in charge of the military/culling was supposed to ensure the strongest survive. When everyone is in such a small space with limited resources, you'll need to thin the herd to make sure humanity can survive.
    The Child in charge of propaganda was supposed to make sure that everyone works together and to avoid any kind of insurgencies. With such a small community and high tensions, everyone will need to work together to survive.

It was messed up, but they all had something designed to keep the human race going when everyone went underground. Then, at the end, it's just you, the cult leader, and pretty much nobody else down there. Because you killed them all.
    Well it's better than what Bethesda have been doing with Fallout...

Spoiler
    Show
    Although given that when we reach Fallout 76.5 it turns out that about 90% of the named characters have survived and Montana is doing really rather well for itself environment-wise and the whole nuclear apocalypse thing appears to have been more of a mild inconvenience than your more apocalyptic apocalypses.

Anyway:

Ending E of Nier Automata.

Seeing the first Japanese demo for FFVIII and near-immediately buying a Playstation despite the game not getting a UK release for another 18 months.

Entering Polito's Office in System Shock 2.

Sticking it to Kamoshida in Persona 5.

Fighting the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3, then realising who he was reading the item description of his soul.

The first time you revive a tree in Okami.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-04-02 at 04:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sorry, Far Cry, not Fallout.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The pacifist ending of Undertale, jsut tog et tha tout of the way. I still have Hopes and Dreams running through my head every now and then.

lots of moments in chrono Trigger, I couldn't pick out one because there are so many.

beating Iudex Gundyr with a Deprived, on my first run of a dark souls game. or when I beat this mage boss on my first try, though that time on NG plus where I just repeatedly parried the abyss Watchers is good too, as well as the moment where I figured out that I had completely skipped the cathedral and faced the abyss watchers before mages or the priest guys on my first run

finding out that the main character is a clone in Cross Code, as well as beating the game's final puzzle.

beating the elite four way back in pokemon gold. of course I didn't how to play then, so I got a single high level typhlosion and the rest of my pokemon we were completely underleveled, but I somehow made my like, level 5 bird I used for fly defeat an elite four pokemon and they somehow gained like 32 levels. probably wasn't the same run as the one where I beat the elite four though. Pokemon B&W had the most memorable moments with its enemy team, as well as Sun and Moon with beating Kukui or facing Lusamine.

beating Paper Mario for the first time. second form bowser was oddly hard to child me, but the part where Mario had to escape an erupting volcano while inside was memorable as well. Thousand year door made the Glitz Pit and the Dupliss plots memorable as well. Super Paper Mario also had that point where a world gets straight up destroyed, because you'd wouldn't think that mario would ever go that far but it did, because last two chapters completely break formula to switch things up on you its great.

Dragon Age Origins, my warden going through the ritual because there two people other prospective wardens just straight up die for one reason or another in the process. Dragon age 2 had a very memorable one in Anders blowing up the chantry to cut you off from any third options as well.

that moment in jade Empire where your mentor reveals that he had planned everything and even designed your fighting style to have a weakness only he could exploit- and does to instantly kill you.

the goblin starting zone, and Pandaria in World of Warcraft. I don't care what anyone says, those zones are great. the goblin starter zone is this black comedy satire of capitalism and pulp tropes, while the Pandaria zones just have so much effort put into them! that moment where you use a karate chop to kill a giant insect from the inside because you trained with some martial arts master earlier who made you do this with bamboo then wood then stone is such a great chekov's gun! its some of the best storytelling in WoW.

The moment Asura punches a giant dude larger than the earth to death- as the first boss. that moment I knew, Asura's Wrath was one fun ridiculous train I wanted to see through to the end. facing katana dude with the symphony playing in the background was awesome to.

every time I get off an otk combo in Hearthstone.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 23!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    "Gamma One is the Emporer's stool pigeon! Gamma Two and Three destroy Gamma One now!"
    Yes! Star Wars: Tie Fighter!

The thing that sold that twist for me was the mission briefing and the strong sense of wrongness it presented. How you had gone from high-risk missions against live enemy targets to... a training exercise in the starfighter form of Minesweeper. Even your handler told you "This doesn't add up." And your two wingmen respond to the quoted command with all the surety of a clone trooper being given Order 66.

I'd like to give a nod to Bioshock: Infinite, the first time you set foot in Columbia. Everything from the animations to the soundtrack to the story-motivated bloom presents the place as paradise.... the paradise you'll be fighting for your life in for most of the rest of the game.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ultima VII: Serpent's Isle

You and your companions are chasing Batlin, the main baddie from the first half of Ultima VII into a strange land called Serpent's Isle. Batlin is trying to summon these three super-powerful demigods called the Banes, who will destroy the world, and you're chasing him around trying to stop him. You explore pretty much the whole world, get the super-powerful items, and catch up with him just as he's about to complete the summoning. You get ready for the big boss battle...

And then your companions turn towards you with glowing red eyes and black auras. Batlin does complete the summoning, and the three Banes just possessed your companions. They squash Batlin like an insect, knock you unconscious in like one round and leave you for dead, and then proceed to -- pretty much destroy the world. Or least kill almost everyone it in. So now you're running around the same world as before, except all the people are gone and the cities destroyed, trying to fix the damage.

And what's great is that the game makers actually signaled to you that this was going to happen. Right at the beginning of the game, someone tells you that they can't help you, because "The Avatar (you) will be betrayed by those who try to help her most". For most of the game, it looks like it's just an excuse for all the NPCs to not actually do anything useful for you. (You know how games are -- you might be trying to save the world, but no merchant will even give you a 10% discount for trying to save their lives.) But in the end, it's actually true; your companions nearly kill you.

It's also one of the few times I've ever been really fooled by a false ending. I really thought the Batlin battle was going to be the end. It did a good job of not letting the game mechanics give away "you're only halfway though the game". Lots of other games try to convince you that "This boss battle is the end of the game!" but they also obviously have places you haven't been to or powers you don't have access to, and so it's pretty obvious the mechanics of the game are built for you to keep going. (E.g. Persona 3, which tries to convince you that a battle is the final boss -- but you're only 60th level and there are personas up to 80th+ level visible on the fusion screen.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Mordin's sacrifice in ME3 is a big one for me. Both versions are great but the one where he doesn't know about the countermeasure beforehand is a bit better IMO.

I made a mistake!

I made a mistake, focused on big picture, big picture made of little pictures, too many variable. Can't hide behind statistics, can't ignore new data.
    (...)
    Difficult decision, why it had to be me, somebody else might have gotten it wrong.

Also in Halo 3 when the UNSC counterattacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

That scene is carved into my soul. It has NEVER been rivaled honestly.

The final scene in the Last of Us is a close contender though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The scene in Kingdom Hearts where Sora commits suicide to save everyone (he gets better).

Similar to Nier: Automata's mention above, Drakengard's endings. Yoko Taro clearly has issues he works out through the games he makes.

The scene in Final Fantasy X where I realize Wakka is a terrible human being. My first conscious memory of realizing that just because a narrative frames someone as being your best friend and ally, and on the good guy's team, doesn't mean they can't be absolutely terrible. (Context for those who haven't played it, the city that blew up is the only homeland of Rikku's people [the person he's talking to there], an ethnic group he repeatedly slurs and puts down as basically sub-human for the entire game.)

The first time I played Team Fortress 2. Offline, just wandering the levels and trying out the characters on the empty maps. It and Halo 3 were my entire impetus to get access to the internet at the time. I was instantly hooked on the game, and it's a game I have a deep personal connection to. I met most of my friends via that game, for a period of about 6 years. I never would have started playing tabletop RPGs without being introduced by someone I met on SPUF. It was my first experience with competitive gaming, and the game that made me realize competitive gaming suuuuuucks, because practicing hours upon hours every week turns the game into a job. It introduced me to forums, which made me realize I really like writing, and I've turned that into a job of its own. Among other things. My life would legitimately be very different without that game, and probably worse in a lot of ways. And it wouldn't have happened without playing the Orange Box offline at a friend's house in high school.

Almost every cutscene in Jak 2 is a goldmine. In particular, I still constantly quote this line and greet friends that way sometimes. ESPECIALLY ones who've never played the game, and have terrible memories.

Similar to TF2 being my impetus to get my 360 connected to the internet, Oblivion was my impetus to get an Xbox 360 in the first place. I borrowed the console and game from my next door neighbor, and the opening scenes and the totally not reused for the next game Bethesda published scene of exiting the sewers and being blinded by the light (which was great both times it wasn't used) and seeing the vast open expanse of space I could explore was amazing.

That game in Left 4 Dead 2 multiplayer as the Infected, where my Survivor friends were steamrolling our zombie butts, got within viewing distance of the exit, before I spawned as Tank, immediately mashed the melee button, punched a forklift, and killed all four Survivors at once with it. Beautiful.

A fun match in the criminally underrated Battlefield: Bad Company 2 where I shot my trusty Carl Gustav Recoilless Rocket Launcher (I had three weapons at platinum kills in that game: good ol' Carl, Anti-Tank mines, and the M870 with slugs) from the ground at a guy sniping from a mountaintop, scored a direct hit, and watched his body be CARRIED by the rocket through the air before exploding in midair like "happy festival fireworks, ya". A moment I continue to regret not having the ability to record at the time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    That scene is carved into my soul. It has NEVER been rivaled honestly.
    This, a hundred times over.

The Wrathgate Cinematic from Warcraft will always stick with me as well.
    "Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had FORGIVEN?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well - if the first thing that comes to mind isn't Ravel Puzzlewell, you've basically gamed in vain.

What else tho? The first Deus Ex had a number of moments of brilliance. Oh, the sheer maniacal laughter fun of the first time I created a volcano on my enemy in the original Populous. Life is Strange worked for me. For different reasons, games like Mass Effect or Baldurs Game also work for me - I don't much respond to the emotional pornography of some games, but many games seem like puzzles I need to solve. ME and BG are examples. I'm not particularly adept at the min-maxing such games reward, but I'm stubborn as frag =)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Ace combat has a lot of these for me. Ace Combat 4 has pretty much the entire epilogue mission Megalith ("All Mobius aircraft report in." in a game where the player rarely has any allies at all, much less allies able to equal the best the enemy has, followed by one of the most epic bgms in all of video gaming cutting in, followed by the remnants of Yellow Squadron collectively crapping themselves as they realize that this time they are horribly, brutally outmatched, all while meteors rain from the sky and missiles rise to intercept them). Ace Combat 5 had a bunch, but most notably the battle against the Scinfaxi (the Arkbird making its presence known just as all hope seems lost was incredible and unexpected the first time I played the mission), surviving 8492 as the game follows up a straightforward ground-attack mission with the single most dangerous air-to-air fight in the entire series (is that 20+ top-end stealth fighters ambushing you before the mid-point of the game? You bet it is. Get used to the 'Missile Lock Detected' noise, because it's going to be playing until you get out of the combat zone.), and all three of the last three missions having amazing moments that tie the themes of the game together perfectly, not to mention what basically amounts to a high-speed Death Star Run with an enemy ace hot on your tail and another awesome bgm for the last mission, paired with a space station disintegrating as it enters the atmosphere. Oh, and also the fight against the Arkbird. Chasing an aircraft carrier-sized spaceship into the sunrise as it fires its booster rockets at a 45-degree angle into the water in a desperate attempt to stay in the air? Awesome.

And then Ace Combat Zero was... Well, yeah. Listen to the news reports as your allies take back their capitol city one street at a time. Take off as an immense flying fortress strafes your airbase. Dodge instant-kill laser cannons targeting you via satellite. Watch your victory turn to ashes as the desperate enemy nukes their own soil to keep your allies from continuing the fight. Fight your best friend in a good old fashioned knightly joust in the skies (and rail at his bull**** cheater plane, with its omnidirectional laser cannon and Burst Missiles that can pull 360 degree turns and instant kill you in a wide area), while a doomsday clock ticks inexorably down to billions of deaths at the top of the screen. And, of course, Mobius One showing up to wipe out Wizard Squadron at the end of Score Attack mode on a perfect run, then reminding you why he's a legend by making the aforementioned cheater plane look like a silly joke.

... Man, I had some good times with those games. I really should get out and pick up Ace Combat 7 one of these days.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wow. This thread takes me down memory lane. First Iíll echo some that weíre already said.

Undertaleís pacifist ending. Hit me in the feels alright.

Chrono Trigger. Yeah, huge surprise at the time.

Zelda: Twilight Princess. But itís not the Zelda sacrifice scene that did it for me. Rather, the ending.

Zelda: BotW. What got me was... Link had this group of buddies, and they all frigginí died. The Zora one in particular pulled at my heart strings.

Now for some new ones...

I played the original Resident Evil when I was 10. My first exposure to a horror game. The first zombie scene, the one munching on the dude down the hall, scared the crap out of me.

FFVII (again I played when I was 10, maybe 11). You know the scene. I cried like a baby. And then you fight a boss!

FFII, played this one later in life. Minwu, thatís all I gotta say. What happens later though is really awesome, after you beat the main game. And Ricard. Bamf.

Resident Evil 6 (dang, seeing a pattern). When Chrisís buddy, canít even remember his name, saves Chrisís bacon at the end, but at what price?

The Witcher 3, when you make some bad decisions and Triss ends up holding a certain somebodyís remains.

Final Fantasy XV, what Noctis has to do at the end. You know.

Breath of Fire 3, a few come to mind. Getting Peco. The reveal with Garr.

Breath of Fire 4, the scientist dude and the sister. Mami.

Iím sore there are tooooons more but Iím blanking.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bioshock: Meeting Andrew Ryan at last.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Transistor. When you beat the game the first time, replay it, and realize the first boss fight song isn't an insult...it's a premonition. I feel a pit-like feeling from my stomach when I think about that on occasion.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-03 at 12:26 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

20. - Top - End - #20

Doki Doki Literature Club. *shudders*
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The last scene of the Game of Thrones ARPG by Cyanide Studios.

Spoiler: Ending spoilers
    Show
    When you approach Alester's house in the flashback, knowing what's going to happen and what you're going to do to his family - it's the first and only time I've been reluctant to play a scene in a game. The only way I could convince myself to do so was due to the fact it had already happened, and nothing I could do could change the outcome.

I've got two for Warframe: The Second Dream quest, when that music starts and The Sacrifice Quest: "To take its pain away".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Dunno whether they'll stick, but so far:

The proper ending of Dungeon Master. In the game you can't kill Lord Chaos or Lord Order, but in the start of Chaos strikes back allegedly you killed Lord Chaos, then have to start again or something? I didn't play that, probably based mainly on price, but the end of the first game was very good.

Firing up the rocket engine in Half Life.

Zooming around in Domark's MiG 29 on the ST (you had to run it from a RAM disk (with the original in the floppy drive, write protected), which meant you couldn't save the game permanently, so had to start from scratch every time), there have been games with better graphics, but nothing that felt as if flying was as easy.

Winning Carrier Command on the ST, always a struggle, but worth it.

Closing a Gate in Oblivion and seeing which sigil stone goody you got.

That bit in Homeworld was a bit strong for my tastes, but I can see why some would like it.

Connecting up a long rail route in Transport Tycoon.

The results of killing a dragon in Skyrim, you never know what you'll get.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-04-04 at 11:13 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Transistor. When you beat the game the first time, replay it, and realize the first boss fight song isn't an insult...it's a premonition. I feel a pit-like feeling from my stomach when I think about that on occasion.
    Ahhh I love Transistor! I never thought of that moment until now, but wow, this is very true. Transistor is filled with great moments, especially
    Spoiler: Transistor spoilers
    Show
    the anticlimax of meeting Grant and Asher. They's this grand set-up where you feel like you're going to confront them in a huge boss battle, only for you to arrive and see they've killed themselves. There's a lot of beautiful and sad anticlimaxes in this game, but that moment in particular was really effective for me.

As is Bastion, by the same developers. There is one scene in particular, though, when
    Spoiler: Bastion spoilers
    Show
    you find Zulf again, and choose to carry back his body. Walking that gauntlet while all the Ura just watch, after you've fought and killed so many of them, with Zulf's sorrowful theme playing in the background... the whole thing is intense. The fact that their Captain also strikes down one of the Ura that tries to shoot you while you're defenseless is just really intense. And this is right before the ending, which presents what has to be one of the most interesting moral choices I've ever been presented with in a game.

Final Fantasy Tactics has a special place in my heart as well. I never got through it entirely, but Delita telling Agrias to "Blame yourself or God" always stuck with me in particular. It's one of the places where the terrible translation redeems itself with a line that's equal parts brutal and funny. There's some more serious moments that are also great, but yeah... good times.
    feed the crows

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

The ending of Republic Commando, the chaos it causes within your squad, the emotions felt by Clones, who before that game were nearly faceless CGI props used in a movie, how much I wanted to tell Yoda to piss off, and with the lack of a sequel (and lack of book 6 of the Republic Commando) it will likely never be concluded.
    Current avatar made by: Ceika

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Bioshock: Meeting Andrew Ryan at last.
    +1

There are some moments from MGS1 & 2 that stick with me, usually for breaking the 4th wall or just their ridiculousness. Plugging the controller into port 2 so my mind can't be read? The colonel going crazy and telling me I've been playing the game too long, or, well, just about everything he says? Perfection. And now I know what to do when a purple space worm does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2019-04-05 at 07:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

26. - Top - End - #26

The end cinematic of Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne was a big one for me when I first finished it. Watching the protagonist character for three campaigns sacrifice his friends, his family, his people, and his armies, turning from a paladin prince to an undead knight, all to get to the frozen top of the world where the titular throne sits. Then fighting off even more enemies trying to stop him or seize it for themselves, all while losing his strength and power, to just barely succeed at the end. And as he climbs the stairs, his past sins haunting him, he at last succeeds and claims the throne and its power, and then just sits there, presumably to rule alone for all eternity. It was an awe-inspiring moment for me back in the day to just witness so much loss in the pursuit of one's goals.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

So many, but here's a selection:

Shadow of the Colossus: Everything. It's just that good.

Lunar:Silver Star Story/Lunar:Eternal Blue: Both games have several memorable moments, but one unassuming one was in Eternal Blue, when Nall reminisces about his friends and their quirks; for me, it just suddenly hit home that all the characters from the first game really were dead and gone.

Legend of Dragoon: Most of the cutscenes, but especially Lavitz's death (that one really came unexpected), the flashback to the previous Dragoons' last battle and the ending sequence.

Parasite Eve: The opening cinematics, with Eve signing while everyone around her burned will forever stay in my mind.

Enslaved:Odyssey to the West: The whole ending sequence was a gut punch.

Uncharted: That moment when it switched from action-adventure to survival horror.

And for completely different reasons:
    X-Com: Hearing a sectopod walking somewhere in the dark; getting your high-level Assault mind-controlled, and the only way to reach the enemy is past them; and the first time you go into the mission investigating the fishing village, not knowing what is in store for you.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

28. - Top - End - #28

I distinctly remember a particular moment in Fahrenheit (aka. Indigo Prophecy). The game switches between multiple viewpoint characters, so you alternatively play both a suspected murderer and the policemen trying to catch him - and also there a ton of strange paranormal things going on.

In one scene with the police officers, I was asked to recreate an image of the culprit in the murder case. At first I tried to complete the little picture-matching mini game as well as I could, as you are used to doing as a player. But suddenly it occurred to me that it might be in my best interest to perform poorly. You see, I identified more with the suspected killer than the cops, so I didn't want them to catch him. I reloaded the scene, and tried to mess up the challenge as much as possible.

Now, I never finished the game as it got increasingly weird, so I don't know if what I did actually had any bearing on the final outcome, but just the way the game turned all my usual assumptions about games and goals on their head was memorable in itself. I know that multiple viewpoints and actions that have consequences down the line are par for the course in the era of a billion Telltale games, but back then it felt really novel, and really made me think.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spec Ops: The Line.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The moment at the end when you realize the bad guy you've been hunting down, and talking to on the radio, had killed himself before the conversation could ever happen. You realize that you had been crazy the entire time, that all of the "terrorists" that you've been killing were just people trying to get rid of this psychopath who's been turning their city into a war zone.

YOU are the bad guy in this story, turned insane from witnessing horrific acts of war. When you were told to stop by your superiors, you snapped, and "continued" the mission, which is where the game begins. The Player is the Main Character's mental breakdown as he shoots up a city, killing militia that he is "getting intel" regarding them as terrorists.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-05 at 03:00 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

What most sticks to my mind from Ar Tonelico, is after doing the fetch/synthesis quest of lute strings for Claire, when everything stops while she sings a song to the accompaniment of the repaired lute. This prefigures that other characters will be doing a lot of significant singing, but this was the first. I don't think I had come across singing video game characters before.